Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Risks and assumptions are very important aspect of any project design, it helps explores things that beyond control in the project life cycle. Therefore before the project begins this facts needs to be put into consideration widely.

• What if it goes the other way round of the logframe? it might not all work according to your expectations, these are the risks to consider while designing your project.

• girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses
    girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture
    girls might not know how to start or upgrade a businesses
    microloans are given to the wrong people
    girls are not interested in getting microloans
    there are not enough funds for microloans

• Thank you I understood well

• Thank you I understood well in my opinion risks and assumptions are the main factors that influence whether the project is completing successfully or not so I think when we solve and write down the risks and assumptions for the project we know that where our project can't move to make finally a decision
    thank you.

• The topic was very interesting and i learned that risks and assumptions have to be identified during project design phase. This contributes to initiate strategies that will lower negative impact of risks and assumptions that may disrupt the plan

• This Module helped me in having clarity on what can be the potential risks and assumptions associated with the project and how it can be identified.
    For example-
    If a project aims to improve the learning outcomes of the students with an holistic approach(it means involving all stakeholders may be parents, teachers, govt department ets.) then a major risk which can be assumed is the students are not so keen to adapt the changes.

• Well understood

• Very interesting to see that by identifying risk its easier to monitor and do changes if they occur

• What's is the difference between current risk and future risk? Because I can keep with the project without any risk currently and in future become a risk for the things which I didn't assumed.

• Must risk be evidence based?

• Are all risk manageable?

• I learnt from the module that log framework is a foundational tool for M &E that must be updated when necessary throughout the project cycle. Log framework guides the project to achieving the set impact if well developed.

• Risks are things that could affect projects in a bad way and these are usually out of our control. For example if its an environment project that is targeting restoration of vegetation cover specifically planting trees. the project might have planned to plant trees during the rainy season but unfortunately longer dry spells happen, that is a risk for that is a risk.
    Risks need to be planned for at the beginning of the project and continuously monitored.

Assumptions on the other hand are things that we believe but are not supported by evidence. such as whoever plants a tree will take good care of it.

• Could you please give examples of some of the risks and assumptions?

• Are the risks based on evidence linked to environment (social, economical, political)?
    Could we amend assumptions during the project implementation ? How can we be sure that our assumptions are what we need for this project?

• girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses
    girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture
    girls might not know how to start or upgrade a businesses
    microloans are given to the wrong people
    girls are not interested in getting microloans
    there are not enough funds for microloans

• is Module helped me in having clarity on what can be the potential risks and assumptions associated with the project and how it can be identified.
    For example-
    If a project aims to improve the learning outcomes of the students with a holistic approach(it means involving all stakeholders may be parents, teachers, govt department ets.) then a major risk which can be assumed is the students are not so keen to adapt the changes.

• is Module helped me in having clarity on what can be the potential risks and assumptions associated with the project and how it can be identified.
    For example-
    If a project aims to improve the learning outcomes of the students with a holistic approach(it means involving all stakeholders may be parents, teachers, govt department ets.) then a major risk which can be assumed is the students are not so keen to adapt the changes.

• hank you I understood well in my opinion risks and assumptions are the main factors that influence whether the project is completing successfully or not so I think when we solve and write down the risks and assumptions for the project we know that where our project can't move to make finally a decision
    thank you.

• What's most interesting about the log frame is that it helps you understand the linkages between the steps. It provides a larger lens to see the big picture and connect all the possibilities or identify what may be missing.

• Risk and Assumptions must be well defined. They bring out our biases and help us to effectively manage them.

• Risks and assumptions are very important in LogForm because this will help get ready for any unforeseen circumstances in the project.

• Although we carefully formulate the M&E plan with role and responsibility, the several internal and external factors can hinder the implementation of the project successfully. Therefore, during the M&E planning process, we need to carefully take into account possible risks and assumptions and then we can also formulate the contingency plan and risk management plan to reduce possible risk during implementation process.

• Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) is an essential process for measuring the performance and effectiveness of programs, policies, and projects. However, M&E is not without risks and assumptions that can affect its accuracy and usefulness. Here are some of the key risks and assumptions in M&E:

Risk of bias: M&E data can be influenced by bias, either consciously or unconsciously, which can distort the results and lead to incorrect conclusions.

Assumption of causality: M&E assumes that there is a cause-and-effect relationship between the program or policy and the outcomes. However, this assumption may not always hold true, and other factors may be responsible for the observed outcomes.

Risk of data quality: M&E relies on accurate and reliable data to produce meaningful results. However, data can be incomplete, inaccurate, or unreliable, leading to flawed conclusions.

Assumption of context: M&E assumes that the program or policy is implemented in the same way across different contexts. However, the effectiveness of the program may vary depending on the specific context, such as cultural or social factors.

Risk of unintended consequences: M&E may not capture unintended consequences of the program or policy, which can have negative impacts on the beneficiaries or the environment.

Assumption of uniformity: M&E assumes that the program or policy has the same impact on all beneficiaries. However, the impact may vary depending on factors such as age, gender, socio-economic status, or geographic location.

Risk of resource constraints: M&E requires resources, such as time, money, and personnel, which may be limited or insufficient to carry out a comprehensive evaluation.

It is important to recognize these risks and assumptions in M&E and take steps to mitigate them. This may involve using multiple data sources, involving stakeholders in the evaluation process, addressing biases, and considering the context and unintended consequences of the program or policy.

• Imagine that you are planning a birthday party for your mom. You come up with a great idea: you are going to invite all of your mom’s childhood friends and surprise your mom with a big party. You are sure that this will delight your mom.

You tell your brother your plan. Right away he starts pointing out some problems.

What if mom’s childhood friends cannot travel to town?

What if mom does not want to see her childhood friends?

What if mom hates surprises?

What if mom would prefer a small party?

Perhaps you can think of a few more reasons why this plan might not work. While it can be annoying to hear these criticisms, your brother has done you a big favor: he has pointed out the risks and assumptions in your plan. Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan. Assumptions are your biases: the things that you believe without much evidence.

Now that your brother has identified some risks and assumptions, you can take steps to avoid these problems: you can ask your mom how she feels about her childhood friends or set up travel arrangements for her friends in advance. During the party, you can monitor the situation to see how your mom is feeling. And if things do not go well, at least you will have a good idea about WHY they did not go well.

When you design a project, it is important to find the risks and assumptions before the project starts. In this section, we will explain how to do that.

• I take time to appreciate the level o knowledge have gained on matters of risks and assumptions in this module, being a project manager its essential that we identify risks in advance so that they can be acted upon.

• Risks are factors that are out of your control that may affect your project for instance; an increase in cost charges of inputs. Assumptions are things that we lack evidence of happening for example; donors will provide funds.

• During the Logical Framework module 2: We have learnt that risks and assumptions are vital considerations in monitoring and evaluation as they aid in highlighting the socio-cultural challenges uncertainties, and limitations that may affect the success of a project.

Module 3: Unrealistic targets are the goals outside the resources of a project, which are unattainable.

Module 4: Different data collection tools are used in monitoring and evaluation. The tools helps us collect reliable, accurate and unbiased data.

• I think that, as we have done during the module, it is good to detect the possible risks and assumptions that may be present in the project so that at the time of launching the project we know in advance what awaits us during the implementation phase of the project.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions when planning a logframe, as it helps to forsee things that may affect project implementation. Planning ahead of time will help avert the challenges the project may face. Taking inputs from the beneficiaries is important since the project's success largely depends on their inputs as well.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions when planning a logframe, as it helps to forsee things that may affect project implementation. Planning ahead of time will help avert the challenges the project may face. Taking inputs from the beneficiaries is important since the project's success largely depends on their inputs as well.

• a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• pupils mighty not attend school
    • pupils mighty concentrate
    • poor learning technique
    • lack of materials
  • On Project design its vital to ensure list of assumptions are exhausted, this will enable the M&E plan avoid biases and possibly escape shortcoming of the project . This will provide an opportunity to Modify your indicators and workplan early in advance.
    Additionally resources will be utilized effectively and efficiently.

• Risks are factors that are out of your control that may affect your project for instance; an increase in cost charges of inputs. Assumptions are things that we lack evidence of happening for example; donors will provide funds.

• Risk assumptions help on improving on program or project design , as well as implementation strategy

• so how do we evaluate the magnitude of the effect of the risks in our assumptions?

• really agree with this thought

• Assumptions need to be tested or validated as they are without proof.

• Risks can be greatest hindrance factor for the project once failed to be identified thus its gives an extra thinking to unearth them and have proper strategies to resolve their impact in the project.

• Risk are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan for example what if the farmers are not ready to plant th trees.
    Assumptions are my own biases what if the farmers are not ready to be trained.

A
    1 Reply
  • hi, am very glad that i really learned and got lots of knowledge in module two(2) and am looking forward to gaining more knowledge as far as M&E is concerned.

• Very interesting course for me ,
    Thank you !

• Risks and Assumptions are very important to change our activities. It gives logical thinking toward getting good outcomes and impact, and it helps to change our approach also

• Risk and assumptions make us to believe our strength and weakness.

• Risks and assumptions are crucial elements during the project design cycle because they help project managers to anticipate potential issues, allocate resources more efficiently, create a more accurate budget, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders. By carefully considering risks and assumptions during the project design cycle, project managers can set themselves up for success in delivering the project on time, within budget, and to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.

A
    1 Reply
  • risks and assumptions are crucial elements during the project design cycle because they help project managers to anticipate potential issues, allocate resources more efficiently, create a more accurate budget, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders. By carefully considering risks and assumptions during the project design cycle, project managers can set themselves up for success in delivering the project on time, within budget, and to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.

• Risks may cause project goals not to be met

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• Creating a data collection tool involves designing a form or questionnaire that will help collect the necessary data for measuring specific indicators. The tool should be well-organized and easy to use to ensure that data is accurately collected. Before creating a data collection tool, it is essential to determine the purpose of the tool and the target audience. The design of the tool should be informed by the specific indicators to be measured, and the appropriate data collection method for each indicator should be selected. It is also important to pretest the tool to ensure that it is effective and efficient in collecting the desired data. Once the data collection tool is designed, data collectors should be trained on how to use the tool to ensure consistency and accuracy in data collection.

• Interesting module and very well presented. I thought Peter's comments helped flesh out the overall concept. I originally had an issue, but upon reviewing it I saw that I had made a mistake. In the quiz, I read 'inputs' where I should have read 'impacts' so answered the question incorrectly. I was confused about this and intended to use it as a discussion point, but no need to now!

• After looking at MEH's project, the risks and assumptions evaluated from it are;
    The loans to be disbursed might not be enough for the girls or it can be diverted by top government officials.
    The girls also might not be interested in taking the microloans or may not want to use it to grow their business so they can be financially stable. Other risks involved is that the loans might be taken and invested in the business and the business can also suffer losses.

90% of the girls that received the loans will have successful businesses
    All the girls that received the loans will use them for businesses

• More light has been shed on how to identify risks and assumptions and how they affect outcomes and impact of the project. Therefore, it is important to do a thorough formative research to encounter if not most of the risks and plan on how to evade them either by independent inputs to avoid bias.

• M&E is an ongoing process which can change project implementation. You can only plan for major risks, unexpected ones will be used on upcoming projects as evidence.

• IC3 Institute aims to empower full-time career counselors working with a school or a teacher identified by the school leadership to work in the career counseling function with skills, knowledge, and mindset toward providing college and career guidance for high school students. This would result in a career and college counseling department being set up in every high school and help students find purpose, and direction, or think in a gradual manner about the next important steps in their educational journey.

Assumptions: 1. Career counseling is a school-based activity.

1. An increase in quantity and quality of the program would influence student outcomes and their career readiness.
    2. All high school educators will end up acquiring career counseling skills and will end up setting up Career counseling cell in their respective schools.
    A
    1 Reply
  • Girls might not get profits form their business

• Risk are Factors that cannot be controlled but manageable

Assumptions are theories that have no proof of existence but are believed to have the ability to affect the project negatively

• RISKS

1. Data integrity: Data can easily be lost, stolen, or corrupted due to human error, technical issues, or malicious intent.
    2. Data accuracy: Poor data accuracy can lead to incorrect decisions or inaccurate conclusions.
    3. Unreliable metrics: If the chosen metrics aren't reliable, then the results of the monitoring and evaluation may not be accurate or reliable.
    4. Inadequate resources: Without adequate financial, personnel, and technological resources, it may be difficult to effectively monitor and evaluate a program.

ASSUMPTIONS

1. Program objectives are achievable: It is assumed that the program's objectives are achievable and can be measured.
    2. Data is accurate and up-to-date: It is assumed that the data being collected is accurate and up-to-date.
    3. Program staff has the necessary skills: It is assumed that program staff have the necessary skills and knowledge to execute the monitoring and evaluation activities.
    4. Appropriate resources are available: It is assumed that adequate financial, personnel, and technological resources are available to implement the monitoring and evaluation activities.
  • The discussion on the Risks and Assumptions would greatly help in identifying possible factors that would affect our project mostly in a negative way. Through this, implementers may have the chance to formulate strategies in order to mitigate these risks and assumptions that could hamper the smooth project implementation.

• pupils mighty not attend school
    • pupils mighty not concentrate
    • poor learning technique
    • lack of materials
  • Definining and identifying the risk and assumptions your project may encounter in the long run will go a long way in helping you to try and address them in advance by curating workable solutions especially for those that are within your control. It also helps to deconstruct biases giving room for evidence based approaches to the project.

• Risks and assumptions are those conditions which are not under the control of your project or the organization. Usually donors want to know about them because they want to know what kind of external factors can hinder the project.
    a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• I think the risks and assumptions component of the Logfram is key. What is interesting to me is the fact that risks and assumptions are either true or not. However, in the case where you are writing a proposal to solicit funds from donor organization when there is a call for application, the burden of prove is upon you to ensure that the risks and assumptions are factual and they are backed by facts.

• I think the risks and assumptions component of the Logfram is key. What is interesting to me is the fact that risks and assumptions are either true or not. However, in the case where you are writing a proposal to solicit funds from donor organization when there is a call for application, the burden of prove is upon you to ensure that the risks and assumptions are factual and they are backed by facts.

• There is no project that cannot encounter risks,Project manager and the operation team must figureout the possible risk that mght happen in their way inoder to plan a preventive measure.

• Risk and Assumptions are Part of M&E Process to understand things will happen in the future like uncertainties, identified risk and so on.

• Risk and assumptions are part of m&e because there's uncertainty and things that haven't prove

• Risk and assumptions are part of m&e because there's uncertainty and things that haven't prove

• Risks are identified and un-identified needs to monitor

• strongly agree

• @Dorcas_official said in Module 2 Discussion: Risks and Assumptions:

Risk are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan for example what if the farmers are not ready to plant th trees.

@Dorcas_official said in Module 2 Discussion: Risks and Assumptions:

Risk are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan for example what if the farmers are not ready to plant th trees.

@Dorcas_official said in Module 2 Discussion: Risks and Assumptions:

• Yes are things needs to be identified early as possible

• The key data risks are data breaches, data loss, data manipulation, and data exposure. If not managed and planned correctly, they can lead to significant losses for organizations in term of trust, financial, and reputation

• The common data assumptions are: random samples, independence, normality, equal variance, stability, and that your measurement system is accurate and precise. In this post, we'll address random samples and statistical independence

• There are actually two assumptions: The observations between groups should be independent, which basically means the groups are made up of different people. You don't want one person appearing twice in two different groups as it could skew your results. The observations within each group must be independent.

• Risk and assumptions are a very important aspect of the M&E plan which i had not previously considered. Having this in mind helps one to be proactive making provision for some challenges even before they arise and minimise some risk.

• Understanding risk and assumptions is key to eliminating our biases from our projects. It is therefore crucial for an M&E person to fish out risks and assumption to be during a projects cycle.

• What happens with the unexpected risks and assumptions?
    The unexpected risks and assumptions helps the stakeholders to be aware of the risks that might happen therefore making necessary adjustments.

• risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

The 4 essential steps of the Risk Management Process are:
    Identify the risk.
    Assess the risk.
    Treat the risk.
    Monitor and Report on the risk.

• risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

Identify the risk.
    Assess the risk.
    Treat the risk.

Identify the risk.
    Assess the risk.
    Treat the risk.

• isk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

Identify the risk.

• isk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

Identify the risk.

• Assumptions are things that we believe to be true and which we therefore build into the project plan. Constraints are things that we know to be true and which must be accounted for in the plan so that we can work around them. And risks are factors that we are aware of but whose occurrence is uncertain.

• Assumptions are things that we believe to be true and which we therefore build into the project plan. Constraints are things that we know to be true and which must be accounted for in the plan so that we can work around them. And risks are factors that we are aware of but whose occurrence is uncertain.

• There are two key characteristics of risks and assumptions. First, there must be some uncertainty to the event. If there is 100% chance of an event occurring, it is simply a fact. If there is a 0% chance of the event occurring, it is fiction. Neither are risks or assumptions.

Second, assumptions and risks are both outside the total control of the project team. If the event is within the control of the project team it is neither an assumption nor a risk. It should simply be managed to make it happen.

• Until we can provide evidence of whether an assumption is true or not, it can be considered at a risk. Furthermore, risks can be positive or negative, so we should consider this when writing them up.

• There is not a discussion question posed. However, the last few years have posed multiple challenges to assumptions. COVID impacted government outreach efforts, communities were locked down to prevent the spread of the virus, and funding for other projects slowed.

• Risks are future events that one tries to visualize will happen and how they will impact the project while Assumptions is an idea or bias accepted to be true without proof. Risk and Assumptions are unforeseen conditions and events that will affect the implementation.

• Ascertaining of future project risks and assumption is so important to in planning and also prioritize intervention preferring the ones with less risks.

Setting targets, is so important because there are many factors that are likely to influence it either positively or negatively.
    for example. One might mobilize more sources to empower a small portion of the community, and fail to get funded. More still, targeting high amounts without clear sources of funds, might frustrate the project implementers.

• Risks are things outside your control that may disrupt your plans

and
    Asumptions are bisaes or believes without evidence

• The number of small-holder farmers who grow soybeans.

• determining the likelihood that a vulnerability, threat, or occurrence could impact the organization and what the consequences or impact would be if it were to occur.
    An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like. We have to assume our government keeps working, our organization will keep existing and the weather will follow its usual pattern. Sometimes we look at these things as if they were facts, but in reality, they are just assumptions, as we cannot be 100% sure. Here are a couple of examples of assumptions in a project proposal:

All building materials will be available in the market before the project start
    The legal framework will not change drastically in the near future
    The pattern of rain will not change in the near future
    A risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially. You have to take risks into account when planning your project as they might change the entire setup if the event actually occurs. They might even end your entire project if they occur. Here are a couple of examples of risks in a project proposal:

After an election, a different political party is in charge that does not support your agenda
    Natural catastrophes like floods or landslides hamper the success of your project
    The pattern of rain will change in the near future

• If the probability of the event is also less than 100%, it is a risk!!! An assumption is something that you assume to be the case, even without proof. While there is a clear relationship between assumptions and risks, they have different point of view: If the risk event happens

an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• Risk and assumption analysis plays an integral role in drawing up a good M&E plan. Without this aspect, biases will be incorporated into the plan.

• A risk is an uncertain threat that in the case of occurring could have a negative impact in the completion of a goal/activity /project. While an assumption is any factor relating to a project that is considered to be true or real without any empirical proof or demonstration. Assumptions are events or conditions that a project manager believes will occur during a project’s life cycle.

Importance of risks and assumptions

Project assumptions are important because they help you to identify risks. On the other hand,having a clear sense of the project risks you face; can help you prevent or prepare for upcoming risks.

• The risks are the potential problems or issues that may arise during a project and impact the project's success. While assumptions are ideas that are accepted to be true/certain, even without proof.

If the risk event happens then, the project is affected. Similarly, if the assumption event doesn’t happen, the project is affected too.

Risks can either be positive or negative. It is therefore important to identify risks early in order to develop plans to minimize or prevent risks that have negative impact.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.