Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• RISK ARE THE DIFFERENT FACTORS OR EVENT WHICH CAN MAKE THE PLANNED ACTIONS OT OBJECTIVES NOT TO BE ACHIEVED

• This was an eye opener. Previously, I have been Framing risks and assumptions upside down

• This was an eye opener. Previously, I have been Framing risks and assumptions upside down

• This was an eye opener. Previously, I have been Framing risks and assumptions upside down,

Data collection, methods, tools are key to helping any researcher or M&E personnel in gathering requisite data/information to help in tracking progress. My experience has shown that time investment is key in having this right at the beginning as they play critical role in project delivery and assessing achievement. Pre-test has proved an important step in testing if the tool is truly gathering the information needed to report about an indicator and also to know if the respondents understand what is being sought from them

• This was an eye opener. Previously, I have been Framing risks and assumptions upside down,

Data collection, methods, tools are key to helping any researcher or M&E personnel in gathering requisite data/information to help in tracking progress. My experience has shown that time investment is key in having this right at the beginning as they play critical role in project delivery and assessing achivement. Pre-test has proved an important step in testing if the tool is truly gathering the information needed to report about an indicator and also to know if the respondents understand what is being sought from them

Data ,management and data flow is critical as it specifies how data is collected, analysed, interpreted, reported and archived/stored for future. It forms part of the M&E plan

• Risks and assumptions are integral parts of a project summary, it helps the team predict unforeseen circumstances and make arrangement on time to curtail them incase they occur.

• Understanding risks and assessments was an important module for me due to having to utilize evaluations throughout every step of my job process. This was very insightful and allowed me to see possible risks even quicker when looking at a logframe.

• What is important of risks and assumptions in M& D plan?

• I find this topic to be very interesting simply for the fact that so many organizations create programs and host events without utilizing, what seems to be at the very least, a very necessary part of the planning process.

• When identifying risks and assumptions for a project, it is important to consider the following elements:

External factors: This includes factors outside of the organization's control, such as changes in laws and regulations, economic conditions, and natural disasters.

Internal factors: This includes factors within the organization's control, such as staff availability, technology reliability, and capacity to manage the project.

Project specific factors: This includes factors related to the specific project, such as the complexity of activities, the level of stakeholder engagement, and the availability of resources.

Contextual factors: This includes factors related to the context in which the project is taking place, such as cultural norms, political stability, and community attitudes.

Timing: Consideration should be given to the timing of activities and their impact on the project timeline.

Relationships: Consideration should be given to relationships between stakeholders, including potential sources of conflict and ways to mitigate them.

Capacity: Consideration should be given to the capacity of the organization and its partners to implement the project, including the availability of resources, personnel, and technical expertise.

Data and information: Consideration should be given to the quality and reliability of data and information used in the project, and the potential impact of any data gaps or limitations.

Monitoring and evaluation: Consideration should be given to the processes and systems used to monitor and evaluate the project, including the availability of resources and the capacity of the organization to implement these processes effectively.

• Les risques et les hypothèses prévus, suffisent -ils pour éviter tous les obstacles et mener au succès un projet ?

• What are risks?

• I have noticed that when doing risks and assumptions for MEH, we are mostly doing risks. Has anyone attempted the assumption route?

• The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might disrupt your plan. For each level of your logframe - inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact - you ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?

Remember the if/then statements that we made at the beginning of this module? Here is an example to remind you:

IF you have new knowledge, THEN you will perform better on job applications.

Writing your project summary as series of if/then statements will help you spot risks and assumptions. For example, after we read this if/then statement we can ask:

What type of knowledge will help you perform better on job applications?

Is knowledge enough to help you perform better on job applications?

Let’s identify risks and assumptions for MEH’s outcomes, by combining the outcomes with the outputs in an if/then statement:

IF girls receive microloans, THEN girls will start new businesses or upgrade equipment in their existing businesses.

We have combined the outcomes with the level below: the outputs. Now we can ask: are we completely sure that this is true? Are there any things outside of MEH’s control that might keep girls from starting or upgrading businesses?

Here are a few risks and assumptions that might keep girls from starting or upgrading businesses, even if they get microloans:

Girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses

Girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture

Girls might not know how to start or upgrade businesses

So, these three risks and assumptions will go into MEH’s logframe, right alongside their outcomes.

1. it is important to plan for risks and assumptions ahead of time is so that
      you can understand events and conditions that are unforeseeable
      that might affect your implementation, therefore giving you enough time to make
      decisions at the right time.
  • Risk Assumption—A risk contingency plan can be developed for the project that defines the actions taken, the resource plans, and the factor that triggers an action should a given risk occur. This option accepts the potential risk and continues assuming the contingency plan lowers the risk to an acceptable level (low cost). Risk Avoidance: We can circumvent the risk by removing the cause or reducing the consequences (some cost).

Risk Limitation—To limit the risk by implementing specific changes planned activities in the project. (This approach should be pursued when the risk cannot be dealt with any other way or will be too costly to the project.) (some cost).

“Risk Transfer”—We can transfer the risk by using other techniques to offset the loss. One example would be to purchase insurance. The potential impact of a risk event can be transferred by insuring a product or department against the liability of damage.

• Les risques fonds partie du cycle du projet. Nous devons envisager des scenarios qui peuvent être des risques.
    Les hypothèses sont toujours envisageable dans le cadre d'un projet.

• Risks are those things out of your control that cause your project not to work as expected
    Assumptions are things that you believe but are not supported by evidence

B
    1 Reply
  • Risks and are the outcomes that might occur in the process of implementing a project and bring negative impact
    There are great tools that helps one to weight the output thus leading to positive outcomes

• Taking risks in any project is very good to my side because it will help your project to be completed but if we fail to face risks it means we are afraid of making a difference.

• Risks are the things outside of the control that might disrupt a plan. For each level of your log frame, [ inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact] you ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?
    Assumptions are biases: the things you believe without much evidence.
    It is important to plan for risks and assumptions ahead of time so that you can understand events an conditions that are unforeseeable that might affect your implementation, therefore giving you enough time to make decisions at the right time.

• I think the risk and assumption part is really important because the ideas will never end but what will help us achieve is what we see is possible and what makes it all possible s by overcoming the risks (if possible).

• Risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially. Or the possibility that something bad or unpleasant (such as an injury or a loss) will happen. You have to take risks into account when planning your project as they might change the entire setup if the event actually occurs. They might even end your entire project if they occur.

An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true or something that is believed to be true or probably true but that is not known to be true.Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like. We have to assume our government keeps working, our organization will keep existing and the weather will follow its usual pattern. Sometimes we look at these things as if they were facts, but in reality, they are just assumptions, as we cannot be 100% sure. Here are a couple of examples, all building materials will be available in the market before the project start.

Identifying risks and assumptions while developing your project proposal can help you write a stronger proposal. You will have to dig deep to truly understand the situation at hand. Furthermore, it shows you what you have to look out for during the implementation of your project and what could be possible . Identifying risks and assumptions also show your donor that you have real knowledge of the situation in the community and that your work is valid.

• Risks and assumptions are integral parts of a project summary, it helps the team predict unforeseen circumstances and make arrangement on time to curtail them incase they occur.

• I understand now risks and assumptions of M&E logframe.

• I understand now risks and assumptions of M&E logframe.

• I think that identifying risks and assumptions in advance is always a very difficult part of the project. An interesting concept I heard about was the one of the "pre-mortem" where you assume that your project has failed and then you try and think of all the ways in which it could have failed and all the reasons for those failures. You can then turn these ideas into a set of risks and assumptions to look out for and build mechanisms into your project to avoid them.

• Learning about risks and assumptions is crucial in designing our projects. One thing I've learned in our work is that we do not want to distort the social fabric of those we serve. By knowing the risks of our actions, we are able to deliver services that adheres to the "do no harm" principle. Our assumptions on the other hand, despite any possibilities of exhibiting our biases, must always be backed by science and established literature.

• Learning about risks and assumptions is crucial in designing our projects. One thing I've learned in our work is that we do not want to distort the social fabric of those we serve. By knowing the risks of our actions, we are able to deliver services that adheres to the "do no harm" principle. Our assumptions on the other hand, despite any possibilities of exhibiting our biases, must always be backed by science and established literature.

• Having an eye on the risks and assumptions and how it they will affect the project is essential and should not be overlooked.

• What's most interesting about the log frame is that it helps you understand the linkages between the steps. It provides a larger lens to see the big picture and connect all the possibilities or identify what may be missing.

• Risks and Assumptions surely needs to be carefully analyzed in as far as project design is concerned

• Thank you for giving this opportunity.
    It is good title
    Risk is what we encounter when we are doing our project implementation.
    Assumptions are what we are must consider while doing our project.

• what are the risks that can lead to failure of your logframe?

J
    1 Reply
  • Risks and assumptions is very important to note since one needs to be realistic and know that not every research is plain sailing, there might be various obstacles that prevents one from achieving the outcome that one wants.
    Jotting these done will assist with every aspect of the research.

• Risks and assumptions is very important to note since one needs to be realistic and know that not every research is plain sailing, there might be various obstacles that prevents one from achieving the outcome that one wants.

• In this Conservation farming project, the greatest risk is comes from weather conditions. If there are no rains the project is bound to fail. The other risk is based on the farmers ability to grasp concepts. If they fail to understand and do not apply the principles the project may fail.

However we will assume the season will receive enough rains to yield a good result. And also that the community will understand and apply all principles.

• In this Conservation farming project, the greatest risk is comes from weather conditions. If there are no rains the project is bound to fail. The other risk is based on the farmers ability to grasp concepts. If they fail to understand and do not apply the principles the project may fail.

However we will assume the season will receive enough rains to yield a good result. And also that the community will understand and apply all principles.

• Risks and assumptions are sometimes unforeseeable in the cases whereby the M&E plan is not made. The plan has to proof the workability of anything argued, for it to be a fact and useful data. If the argument is not supported, then it is simply an assumption. For instance, the way through which an output will lead to an outcome has to be proven to work.

• Risks are something that may impact your project directly or indirectly whereas, assumptions are things that have to be considered to happen during the project execusson time.

• How to manage risk

• Risk and assumptions are a very important aspect of the M&E plan which i had not previously considered. Having this in mind helps one to be proactive making provision for some challenges even before they arise and minimise some risk.

• Risks are unforseen events that may lead to loses
    When they are assumed can lead to loses
    Risks can be avoided or mitigated .
    Through risk reduction, avoidance and mitigatation

• Risks and Assumptions are important in informing programmers on best route to take. Some risks can be addressed in the implementation phase and gives implementers an idea of what they may expect so that they are prepared. A project that present numerous risks has a greater chance of failure.

• Identifying risk and assumptions do not only help you navigate pitfalls but it is also an important tool in minimizing wastage. It helps you navigate the pitfalls and find effective ways to use resources to achieve maximum results.

• Risks are situations ought to create a negative result to the achievement of desired target while assumptions are preconditions that positively ought to occur for a desired result to happen

• Correctly identifying assumptions and risks ahead of time is one of the most difficult parts of project design.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• Risks and assumptions are very important aspect of any project design, it helps explores things that beyond control in the project life cycle. Therefore before the project begins this facts needs to be put into consideration widely.

• What if it goes the other way round of the logframe? it might not all work according to your expectations, these are the risks to consider while designing your project.

• girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses
    girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture
    girls might not know how to start or upgrade a businesses
    microloans are given to the wrong people
    girls are not interested in getting microloans
    there are not enough funds for microloans

• Thank you I understood well

• Thank you I understood well in my opinion risks and assumptions are the main factors that influence whether the project is completing successfully or not so I think when we solve and write down the risks and assumptions for the project we know that where our project can't move to make finally a decision
    thank you.

• The topic was very interesting and i learned that risks and assumptions have to be identified during project design phase. This contributes to initiate strategies that will lower negative impact of risks and assumptions that may disrupt the plan

• This Module helped me in having clarity on what can be the potential risks and assumptions associated with the project and how it can be identified.
    For example-
    If a project aims to improve the learning outcomes of the students with an holistic approach(it means involving all stakeholders may be parents, teachers, govt department ets.) then a major risk which can be assumed is the students are not so keen to adapt the changes.

• Well understood

• Very interesting to see that by identifying risk its easier to monitor and do changes if they occur

• What's is the difference between current risk and future risk? Because I can keep with the project without any risk currently and in future become a risk for the things which I didn't assumed.

• Must risk be evidence based?

• Are all risk manageable?

• I learnt from the module that log framework is a foundational tool for M &E that must be updated when necessary throughout the project cycle. Log framework guides the project to achieving the set impact if well developed.

• Risks are things that could affect projects in a bad way and these are usually out of our control. For example if its an environment project that is targeting restoration of vegetation cover specifically planting trees. the project might have planned to plant trees during the rainy season but unfortunately longer dry spells happen, that is a risk for that is a risk.
    Risks need to be planned for at the beginning of the project and continuously monitored.

Assumptions on the other hand are things that we believe but are not supported by evidence. such as whoever plants a tree will take good care of it.

• Could you please give examples of some of the risks and assumptions?

• Are the risks based on evidence linked to environment (social, economical, political)?
    Could we amend assumptions during the project implementation ? How can we be sure that our assumptions are what we need for this project?

• girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses
    girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture
    girls might not know how to start or upgrade a businesses
    microloans are given to the wrong people
    girls are not interested in getting microloans
    there are not enough funds for microloans

• is Module helped me in having clarity on what can be the potential risks and assumptions associated with the project and how it can be identified.
    For example-
    If a project aims to improve the learning outcomes of the students with a holistic approach(it means involving all stakeholders may be parents, teachers, govt department ets.) then a major risk which can be assumed is the students are not so keen to adapt the changes.

• is Module helped me in having clarity on what can be the potential risks and assumptions associated with the project and how it can be identified.
    For example-
    If a project aims to improve the learning outcomes of the students with a holistic approach(it means involving all stakeholders may be parents, teachers, govt department ets.) then a major risk which can be assumed is the students are not so keen to adapt the changes.

• hank you I understood well in my opinion risks and assumptions are the main factors that influence whether the project is completing successfully or not so I think when we solve and write down the risks and assumptions for the project we know that where our project can't move to make finally a decision
    thank you.

• What's most interesting about the log frame is that it helps you understand the linkages between the steps. It provides a larger lens to see the big picture and connect all the possibilities or identify what may be missing.

• Risk and Assumptions must be well defined. They bring out our biases and help us to effectively manage them.

• Risks and assumptions are very important in LogForm because this will help get ready for any unforeseen circumstances in the project.

• Although we carefully formulate the M&E plan with role and responsibility, the several internal and external factors can hinder the implementation of the project successfully. Therefore, during the M&E planning process, we need to carefully take into account possible risks and assumptions and then we can also formulate the contingency plan and risk management plan to reduce possible risk during implementation process.

• Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) is an essential process for measuring the performance and effectiveness of programs, policies, and projects. However, M&E is not without risks and assumptions that can affect its accuracy and usefulness. Here are some of the key risks and assumptions in M&E:

Risk of bias: M&E data can be influenced by bias, either consciously or unconsciously, which can distort the results and lead to incorrect conclusions.

Assumption of causality: M&E assumes that there is a cause-and-effect relationship between the program or policy and the outcomes. However, this assumption may not always hold true, and other factors may be responsible for the observed outcomes.

Risk of data quality: M&E relies on accurate and reliable data to produce meaningful results. However, data can be incomplete, inaccurate, or unreliable, leading to flawed conclusions.

Assumption of context: M&E assumes that the program or policy is implemented in the same way across different contexts. However, the effectiveness of the program may vary depending on the specific context, such as cultural or social factors.

Risk of unintended consequences: M&E may not capture unintended consequences of the program or policy, which can have negative impacts on the beneficiaries or the environment.

Assumption of uniformity: M&E assumes that the program or policy has the same impact on all beneficiaries. However, the impact may vary depending on factors such as age, gender, socio-economic status, or geographic location.

Risk of resource constraints: M&E requires resources, such as time, money, and personnel, which may be limited or insufficient to carry out a comprehensive evaluation.

It is important to recognize these risks and assumptions in M&E and take steps to mitigate them. This may involve using multiple data sources, involving stakeholders in the evaluation process, addressing biases, and considering the context and unintended consequences of the program or policy.

• Imagine that you are planning a birthday party for your mom. You come up with a great idea: you are going to invite all of your mom’s childhood friends and surprise your mom with a big party. You are sure that this will delight your mom.

You tell your brother your plan. Right away he starts pointing out some problems.

What if mom’s childhood friends cannot travel to town?

What if mom does not want to see her childhood friends?

What if mom hates surprises?

What if mom would prefer a small party?

Perhaps you can think of a few more reasons why this plan might not work. While it can be annoying to hear these criticisms, your brother has done you a big favor: he has pointed out the risks and assumptions in your plan. Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan. Assumptions are your biases: the things that you believe without much evidence.

Now that your brother has identified some risks and assumptions, you can take steps to avoid these problems: you can ask your mom how she feels about her childhood friends or set up travel arrangements for her friends in advance. During the party, you can monitor the situation to see how your mom is feeling. And if things do not go well, at least you will have a good idea about WHY they did not go well.

When you design a project, it is important to find the risks and assumptions before the project starts. In this section, we will explain how to do that.

• I take time to appreciate the level o knowledge have gained on matters of risks and assumptions in this module, being a project manager its essential that we identify risks in advance so that they can be acted upon.

• Risks are factors that are out of your control that may affect your project for instance; an increase in cost charges of inputs. Assumptions are things that we lack evidence of happening for example; donors will provide funds.

• During the Logical Framework module 2: We have learnt that risks and assumptions are vital considerations in monitoring and evaluation as they aid in highlighting the socio-cultural challenges uncertainties, and limitations that may affect the success of a project.

Module 3: Unrealistic targets are the goals outside the resources of a project, which are unattainable.

Module 4: Different data collection tools are used in monitoring and evaluation. The tools helps us collect reliable, accurate and unbiased data.

• I think that, as we have done during the module, it is good to detect the possible risks and assumptions that may be present in the project so that at the time of launching the project we know in advance what awaits us during the implementation phase of the project.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions when planning a logframe, as it helps to forsee things that may affect project implementation. Planning ahead of time will help avert the challenges the project may face. Taking inputs from the beneficiaries is important since the project's success largely depends on their inputs as well.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions when planning a logframe, as it helps to forsee things that may affect project implementation. Planning ahead of time will help avert the challenges the project may face. Taking inputs from the beneficiaries is important since the project's success largely depends on their inputs as well.

• a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• pupils mighty not attend school
    • pupils mighty concentrate
    • poor learning technique
    • lack of materials
  • On Project design its vital to ensure list of assumptions are exhausted, this will enable the M&E plan avoid biases and possibly escape shortcoming of the project . This will provide an opportunity to Modify your indicators and workplan early in advance.
    Additionally resources will be utilized effectively and efficiently.

• Risks are factors that are out of your control that may affect your project for instance; an increase in cost charges of inputs. Assumptions are things that we lack evidence of happening for example; donors will provide funds.

• Risk assumptions help on improving on program or project design , as well as implementation strategy

• so how do we evaluate the magnitude of the effect of the risks in our assumptions?

• really agree with this thought

• Assumptions need to be tested or validated as they are without proof.

• Risks can be greatest hindrance factor for the project once failed to be identified thus its gives an extra thinking to unearth them and have proper strategies to resolve their impact in the project.

• Risk are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan for example what if the farmers are not ready to plant th trees.
    Assumptions are my own biases what if the farmers are not ready to be trained.

A
    1 Reply
  • hi, am very glad that i really learned and got lots of knowledge in module two(2) and am looking forward to gaining more knowledge as far as M&E is concerned.

• Very interesting course for me ,
    Thank you !

• Risks and Assumptions are very important to change our activities. It gives logical thinking toward getting good outcomes and impact, and it helps to change our approach also

• Risk and assumptions make us to believe our strength and weakness.

• Risks and assumptions are crucial elements during the project design cycle because they help project managers to anticipate potential issues, allocate resources more efficiently, create a more accurate budget, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders. By carefully considering risks and assumptions during the project design cycle, project managers can set themselves up for success in delivering the project on time, within budget, and to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.

A
    1 Reply
  • risks and assumptions are crucial elements during the project design cycle because they help project managers to anticipate potential issues, allocate resources more efficiently, create a more accurate budget, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders. By carefully considering risks and assumptions during the project design cycle, project managers can set themselves up for success in delivering the project on time, within budget, and to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.

• Risks may cause project goals not to be met

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.