Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Risks are the things outside of one's control which disrupts your plans or the business's plans, project's plans.
    its good to under stand risks before you continue with the plan because it helps to understand the events and conditions that are unseen, it helps to make decisions at the right time, helps to plan appropriately and adjust in the work plan and targets if necessary.

Assumptions are just the biases that one has, this is just how one believes in his/ her feeling about something that is taking place without an evidence.

• I have understood this lecture

• risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. ... An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• what is the main advantage of Risks and Assumptions ?

M
    1 Reply
  • Identification of risks and assumptions is vital for the success of the project. while in these module we've covered assumptions I'd like to mention about constraints. These are more of the limits that a project must work within and are unavoidable Their identification is vital as well is essential for navigating an effective project path.

• Risks are the things outside of one's control which disrupts your plans or the business's plans, project's plans.
    its good to under stand risks before you continue with the plan because it helps to understand the events and conditions that are unseen, it helps to make decisions at the right time, helps to plan appropriately and adjust in the work plan and targets if necessary.

Assumptions are just the biases that one has, this is just how one believes in his/ her feeling about something that is taking place without an evidence.

• I find this section of the logframe quiet interesting. It is such a great tool to use to avoid biaises. In my experience, biases can greatly weight down the success of a project so this section of the logframe is essential.

• It is very important to understand the Risk and Assumptions. I knew about these two terms but i was not very clear about it. Both the works was almost same meaning to me. But I know the difference between Risks and Assumptions. Risks is put of my control that can happens in my project to achieve the target of the project. Assumptions are the biases that we can have. we have to find out the Risks and assumptions before the implementation of the project. It will really help the staffs to work in the project.

• In order to achieve a successful project design, it is of great importance that we factor risks and assumptions into every level of activity in our project lograme.
    We live in a world that is constantly dynamic in nature with respect to the many events that pervades our communities.
    Without a fore plan of risks and assumptions factored into every phase of our project design logframe; an identification of indicators which can measure to to determine whether we are making progress in our project, such a project is doomed to fail.
    Therefore, it is mandatory that, an M&E expert must plan, think, and forecast in the fore view of a detailed project logfame.

• Risks are alternative activities outside your control as a project designer that have the ability to hurt your project if not identified early. They are always present in every activity and choice that we make in our everyday lives. Having the ability to identify and start working on ways to solve them is cardinal to the success you have in anything that u do. Assumptions on the other hand are beliefs that each and everyone of us has built up over time on how we expect certain things to work out. They can hinder any researcher from having objectivity over their works and thus lead to biases that hurt the integrity of the project.

• Making a note on the risks that you might run in to during the project and the assumptions that you make is a great way to bring the project as close to reality as possible. In order to examine your risks and assumptions data needs to be collected and analyzed. How ever it is my opinion that there may be certain cases/circumstances which your data might not be able to present.
    For example. take covid's first outbreak in 2019. The virus spread in China's Wuhan provinces within weeks and many numbers were affected. businesses closed. If a project like MEH was to start(suppose, in Wuhan) at a time like that, spread of Corona virus was a risk that your risks and assumptions list will not present! What will happen to your project in an instance like that?? Would it not be a total failure?
    However, much depends on the type of business, how the production takes place and the way in which the business links with its customers to sell their final products. So some income may be made. But how long can the business survive? Then the question comes up as to how long the project would take to increase financial prosperity of the girls? It would definitely take longer than predicted.

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.

A risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially.

An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like.

• Certainly acknowledging risks and assumptions of a project help make sure we are not blindsided when things don't go as expected. We are prepared on how to handle the situations that unexpectedly arise.

• if i choose the risk and assumption poor will it affect my impact in my project?

• Risk and assumptions is anything that prevent the project implementer to deliver the input in order to deliver output then outcomes and finally impacts on the project beneficiaries.

• Have you ever had a situation when you cannot explain a mitigation strategy to the identified risks?

M
    1 Reply
  • There could be a lot of different risks involved which could seriously affect the impact of the project. Assumptions on the other hand are pre-conceived notions that can cloud the judgements we are taking for a particular project.
    For Example, in case of MEH, there could be assumptions that all the girls want to use the Microfinance loans for investing in a venture and not use it to gather some skills, apply for some job applications or studies etc. Whereas, in terms of risks, there could always be the risk of the girls using the Microfinance loans unfairly or to fund some other activities of her family members for example

• Understanding risk and assumptions help in identifying what might go wrong with the project

M
    1 Reply
  • RISKS AND ASSUMPTIONS from the lecture proved to be the sppropriate tools to during project summary.

• Risk and assumptions in my lifetime could be
    1- what if the vaccine is fake
    2- what is the side effects of it
    3- can this fund be enough to finance this project

• Risk and assumptions in my lifetime could be
    1- what if the vaccine is fake
    2- what is the side effects of it
    3- can this fund be enough to finance this project

• Risk and assumptions is anything that prevent the project implementer to deliver the input in order to deliver output then outcomes and finally impacts on the project beneficiaries.

• Risks refer to factors that are outside of the M&E expert or project officer's control but can have a negative effect on the project. An example of a risk in a project that is trying to raise voter awareness on the importance of ideologies via radio programs is that there is a chance that people might not listen to the radio program as they may be having other commitments.

On the other hand assumptions are the things that we believe without the support of evidence but they contribute to the logic of our M&E planning particularly when filling the logframe. An example of an assumption would be assuming that people are going to tune into the radio program and be able to follow the content of the radio program to effectively enhance their understanding of the importance of political ideologies. There isn't enough evidence to support this assumption.

Understanding risks and assumptions is very important to M&E planning and it should be one of the very things that should happen during the project design phase under formative research. However asking ourselves about risks and assumptions should be an ongoing processing throughout the project.

It is important to ask ourselves what are the risks and assumptions when designing an M&E plan because it helps us identify our biases and it helps us to foresee some of the challenges that might prevent us from achieving our project goals. This information helps to develop strategies for mitigating the risks and also helps us to stay data and evidence driven through out the implementation of the project and not stray from the reality by relying on our biases.

• On risks and assumptions I understood that the risks will help better estimates of success and progress of project project risks.png

• The main importance is to help you to not have a biased project which will at the end of the day discourage you and make you see yourself as a failure , because they might be little issues but because you did not think of them to have effect then they may be your downfall

• Yes for me COVID has been an ironic risk that I sometimes think ho to mitigate it has have countries wondering do all these vaccines work? @CristinaBejenaru

• Risks are an unplanned actions out of one ones control during the project design phaseand this might have a negative impact on ones project. Asumptions on the other hand are beliefs that are not supported by evidence. This two factors SHOULD be included during one's project design.

• the risks assumptions we have in our program is people may not a ware of deeply our the program

• Risks and Assumptions is a column of a log frame that list all things that might disrupt plans. This is due to events and conditions that are unforeseeable that might affect the implementation of project.
    The test for Risk and Assumption within log frame is by looking at past events and seeing out of those activities.
    Example: I want to give vaccines to people in the village{rural areas} and create awareness of some viral diseases.
    what if they are not going to take it?
    what if they are discouraged by their traditions ?
    what some of them have underlining sickness?.

• In our everyday life we are told to, never make assumptions. However, making assumptions in project management is an everyday activity. Making assumptions helps you define scope and risks and tune your estimates for time and cost. It is also essential to document and validate your assumptions. Making assumptions creates benchmarks that are often revisited during the project to aid the project team in staying within scope, on time, and within budget. But what happens when assumptions are wrong? It is where the risk comes into play. Once you have built your scope and identified the assumptions that are behind the scope and estimates, you will want to begin assessing areas of risk. Risk is the same in project management as it is in the real world; it is a hazard or chance that can create damage. All projects contain risk, and if you are the project manager or project owner, it’s not only your responsibility to anticipate risk, but it’s also your job to communicate the potential impact of those risks to the project team and to prepare to mitigate the risks. Risk comes in various degrees. Sometimes risk can mean the project will run slightly differently or take a small, unexpected turn. In some cases, however, risk can lead to catastrophic results that turn your project on its head.

• Risks are things both within the project or external forces that are out of the control of the implementers but could potentially affect the project

Assumptions are important biases that guide the activities and the project flow, that are not supported by any prior evidence from similar projects or other forms of literature

• In every project, there are underlying risks and assumptions. If these assumptions are not factored into the logic model, they may affect the implementation of the project.

• Quite Insightful

• an assumption is any project factor that is considered to be true, real, or certain without empirical proof or demonstration. Realistically speaking, it's impossible to plan a project without making a few assumptions.
    Whereas, With a risk we anticipate that the risk might happen and thus negatively impact our project.

• Risks and assumptions.
    I understand risks as things outside of my control that may negativity affect my project. Meanwhile assumptions are those things I believe might or might not happen without evidence.

• One assumption in my project is that the CAREGivers would be interested in being certified for Dementia Training. In reality, some of them don't want to develop in their career. Another assumption is that having more qualified CAREGivers may not increase our business.

• The risks are very important as they help the project coordinators to project what might happen and when that happens they would be able to deal with those. They also help to keep the project on track as the coordinators will always be aware of what might happen. Very interesting!

• Describe the threat (or opportunity) which is the source of the risk, Describe the event that could result from the identified threat or opportunity, Describe the consequences (or impacts) of that event.Risk is essentially made up of three components, these being:
    Threats or Opportunities.
    Risk Events.
    Risk Impacts.
    An assumption is something that you assume to be the case, even without proof. For example, people might make the assumption that you're a nerd if you wear glasses, even though that's not true. Assumption testing of your chosen analysis allows you to determine if you can correctly draw conclusions from the results of your analysis. You can think of assumptions as the requirements you must fulfill before you can conduct your analysis.

• Risks is an assumption with higher chance of failure. It is an event that could with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of our project. You have to take risks into account when planning as they might change the entire setup if the event actually occurs. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we know for certain how the future will look like. We have to assume our government keeps working, our organization will keep existing and weather will flow as usual pattern. Sometimes we look at these things as if they were facts, but in reality, they are just assumptions, as we cannot be 100% sure.

• risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like. We have to assume our government keeps working, our organization will keep existing and the weather will follow its usual pattern. Sometimes we look at these things as if they were facts, but in reality, they are just assumptions, as we cannot be 100% sure.

A risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially. You have to take risks into account when planning your project as they might change the entire setup if the event actually occurs. They might even end your entire project if they occur.

• Risks and assumptions are crucial to take into account when creating a monitoring and evaluation plan. Given that there are so many factors that can prevent your inputs, outputs, outcomes, and indicators from not happening the way you see them happening, it is a helpful exercise to think about what could go wrong or what conditions you are assuming will exist to ensure your intended events happen.

• I think an important aspect to bear in mind is that the risk is essentially an assumption as well, considering the risk as an absolute affects budget planning immensely, the budget that goes towards risk management should also remain reasonable and within the realistic set of events.

• I think an important aspect to bear in mind is that the risk is essentially an assumption as well, considering the risk as an absolute affects budget planning immensely, the budget that goes towards risk management should also remain reasonable and within the realistic set of events.

J
    1 Reply
  • Non applicable

• It is of paramount importance that risks and assumptions should be predicted as part of refraining from biases. Risks and assumptions need not to be ignored because they can affect the implementation progress of the project.

• risk and assumptions help the project experts to take note of the biases of the project and find solutions to counter them to achieve the desired impact.
    risk and assumptions are carried at every stage, in the inputs, outputs, outcome and impact stages.

• Identifying risks and assumptions identify and neutralize bias. It is important to address risks and assumptions by conducting formative research.

C
    1 Reply
  • Dear beautiful learners!

While studying the risks and assumptions topic, I realized that it is imperative to remove biases in our project. What are your thoughts on this?

Best Regards,
    Komal Singh

• le taux de fille ayant bénéficié des allocations peut être considéré comme indicateur et pour la vérification il faut une étude

• le taux de fille ayant bénéficié des allocations peut être considéré comme indicateur et pour la vérification il faut une étude.
    Pour des objectifs irréalistes on peut considérer que toutes les filles vont bénéficier des allocations

• le taux de fille ayant bénéficié des allocations peut être considéré comme indicateur et pour la vérification il faut une étude.
    Pour des objectifs irréalistes on peut considérer que toutes les filles vont bénéficier des allocations
    Pour le recueil des données, on peut faire une enquête auprès des prestataires de santé

• In order to identify risks and assumptions, a preliminary analysis of the context is paramount. This analysis can be done by reading governamental and international papers about the context where the project will operate, or by conducting a research on some key issues that characterize the context. In this way, we would understand better the dynamics of the society where we want to intervene with our project.

U
    1 Reply
  • From what I have observed in this module; it is very important to consider risks and assumptions in project design. They are like an eye opener to any unforeseen eventualities. I have seen projects that have failed to meet objectives and what I can conclude is that not much attention was paid to the risks and assumptions surrounding the project. This is a very helpful insight I have got from this module.

• dfhhfgtbh gn nm,, vbggfcc gghjd dgtedvv vbgvft dgrswcx aswdecvf dvfgff bvgtfvr

• I am planning to ambush my Uncle with a big surprise.I don't want to tell him directly.I want to buy him a new car.I have discussed with my cousin(his son).
    The son as says the dad does not easily welcome surprises.
    What if the car is not his type?
    What if he does not want to add any car anymore?
    I would end up asking my uncle what if he gets a new car and what is his favorite make/model.

• I really have confidence that M&E will be the best solution to most problems in uncertainty.

• Having gone through two modules,I really hope muvh will be achieved and I will make my organization grow more

• risks and assumptions are guides to assess whether the Goals and objectives proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.

• M and E will solve most of the set goals

• Monitoring and evaluation helps with identifying the most valuable and efficient use of resources. ... Monitoring and evaluation together provide the necessary data to guide strategic planning, to design and implement programmes and projects, and to allocate, and re-allocate resources in better ways.

• Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) are processes that help improve project and organizational performance so that you can achieve the results you want. The monitoring piece of M&E provides detailed information on assessed activities and where improvements can be made

• M&E improves decision-making

Data should drive decisions. M&E processes provide the essential information needed to see the big picture. After a project wraps up, an organization with good M&E can identify mistakes, successes, and things that can be adapted and replicated for future projects.

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific level.

General risks and assumptions can be either related to the overall implementation of the Roadmap or common to all Goals included in the Roadmap. Specific risks and assumptions will be related to a concrete Activity, i.e. a particular risk that could hinder the successful implementation of a concrete Activity or an assumption that is key to the implementation of a specific Activity. For instance, a specific assumption for the Activity "establishing an Authorised Economic Operators Scheme" is that incentives granted to AEOs are enough to motivate private traders to invest in the time and resources to get the certification.

If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, a risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.
    Assumptions that were considered in the form of risks do not need to be noted again and vice-versa. Similarly, risks and assumptions that were defined at general level, do not need to be mentioned again at specific level. If resistance to change is a major risk for the overall completion of the Roadmap's Goals, it would be also risk for the different Activities considered

• Risks and assumptions.
    I understand risks as things outside of my control that may negativity affect my project. Meanwhile assumptions are those things I believe might or might not happen without evidence.

• Director of planning

• Director of planning

• What happens now when you failed to identify the risk or assumptions of your project until at a later stage?Say for example,at almost the end of your project.

• Risks and Assumption are very important during the project management.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occuring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.
    From my own understanding , an assumption is any project factors that is considered to be true, real or certain without empirical proof or demonstratioon.
    In conclusion, it's impossible to plan a project without making a few assumption while a risk is an assumption with a notables probability and could affect the outcome if your project.

• Assumptions is a statement that you assume to be true and risks is a assumptions with higher level of failure.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions to understand what might affect the implementation of your project so you can act at the right time with the right actions.

W
    1 Reply
  • During the design phase, can't there be a small survey with the target population to make more informed risks and assumptions for the project?

• Risks and Assumptions must be taking in planning for M and E. These are things that might distrupt the planning process.
    From each level, from inputs to impacts, some questios could arise on what could go wrong from providing the inputs, and if inputs are provided, will it leads to the respective outputs
    This will lead to IF...THEN statement, in which we will need to bring some assumptions in order to achieve our goal.

• Risks and assumptions are issues that may or may not arise when planning your logframe. For example in the case where I want to start and ngo for lympedema patients to assist in cost reduction my assumption may be that there actually people that need financial assistance. However, I have no evidence to support this. Also I'm not sure whether by starting this project I will reach as many people as I may anticipate. How many people would be willing to take the funds? How many people are experiencing financial stain due to the condition? My assumption is that by going on social media I will get that data but how sure I'm I that by starting the organization I will draw out as many people as intended. So the outcome might not be as expected based on those biases.

• During the design phase, can't there be a small survey with the target population to make more informed risks and assumptions for the project?

• Risks and assumptions help us remove biases and other factors (internal or external) that may hurt our projects. If done properly they help strengthen project impacts. To generate risks and assumptions, we can re-visit old projects'log frames, ask directly from the beneficiaries and by finally looking at the current activities to check the common assumptions already listed.

• Risks and assumptions are potential factors of a project success. Before going to implement a project activities, risks and assumption should identify. It will help to plan alternatively to avoid the risks and assumptions. Possible issues should scan out at the designing phase of a project through theoretical or structural research. In many cases it is identified that, few un-assured cases arrive during project implementation. M&E plan could find the issues and analyze the gaps.....

Assumptions and risks identification could be a great deal with the casual effect among the stages of log frame. If it is behind, the purposes of the project (Objectives) will be not possible to reach.

• Risks and assumptions need to be addressed carefully. Some of the risks raised might not create a big damage to the project so they may be bearable risks.

• Risks are events that would hinder the progress of a project such as lack of resources, lack of total participation of intended beneficiaries. Assumptions are what we expect that should or will happen with out any evidence or facts to support it. This leads to biases in project implementation. Risks and assumptions should be noted in project design and before M and E plans are designed so as to enable the project implements have knowledge and response strategies encase they occur.

• An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like.
    A risk is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially.

• A risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity.
    An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

A
    1 Reply
  • If you find many risks and assumptions, is it possible that the project won’t succeed? Would we have to rethink the project?

How do identify which factors (risks) are most necessary so we don’t lose focus on the project objective, so we don’t expand too much and unnecessarily?

For example, in the case of MEH ... not only family and cultural factors could affect the girls' businesses, but also how to guarantee that the loans really go to the project to start a business and not to spend it in other things. If they don’t have prior experience in businesses, how would they know how to initiate one? What kind would be more suitable for them? How can you ensure that the girls businesses will be successful? Receiving microloans really changes their lives?

In my project ... I consider that there are too many things that can be a risk for the project, for example the time it takes for a plant to grow and be consumed; if people have no interest in investing “time and effort” in caring for the garden, to be able to access healthier foods; that they don’t want to change their habits and prefer junk food and soft drinks because it gives them a feeling of "being full" and it tastes better.

Climate is another really important factor to consider (rainy or cold seasons it may affect plant growth). Also, regarding where the garden is physically located, does it receive enough light? Does it receive enough water and nutrients?

• Even if you have prior knowledge about some risks in the project, you will not always be able to plan in advance how to deal with them so that they do not affect the result of the project

• I believe that small surveys with the target population (future beneficiaries) prior to the initiation of the project will not only help identify the real needs but also guarantee that the approach is correct.

1 Reply
  • I always used to be confused defining Risks and Assumptions. Now it is too clear to me. I am grateful!
    Wonderful! it means the course is working well. It is not only you, but there are many students who generally face challenge in distinguishing both the terminologies

• A log frame when designing a project should include the following:
    ●The project activities
    ● The project's short term and long term goals
    ● How progress towards goals will be measured
    ● Risks that might prevent you from reaching your goals

• This module clearly explains that identifying risk and assumptions is one of the important part of logframe as well as project summary. Identifying risk and assumptions helps the project officials to put aside their biases. Personally, this session was very satisfying for me as it helps me to understand the boundary line difference between risks and assumptions.

• Thanks for your elaboration of the concepts. It helped me to gain better understanding.

• Logical framework it is an important tool for project monitoring and evaluation as well as project planning due to the fact that it helps to provide information about the key components of the project in a clear concise, logical and systematic way. Thinking through all factors that should be considered for planning successful project. Log frame explains how project will function.

• I wish there was a worksheet for the if and then statements prior to submitting the final Project Summary and Risks and Assumptions chart.

• the risks and assumptions to this project could be:
    the girls might not be interested in getting a loan
    there might be language barrier in terms of how the message is delivered resulting in the information of not being captured correctly thereby causing some of the girls not get the right information.
    some girls might be interested only because of what they can get out which might result in spending the micro funds onto personal things.
    perhaps the location to establish a micro loan business might not be there
    there might not be a market for this as some girls might come from rural areas.

• @BodrulAlam said in Module 2 Discussion: Risks and Assumptions:

This module clearly explains that identifying risk and assumptions is one of the important part of logframe as well as project summary. Identifying risk and assumptions helps the project officials to put aside their biases. Personally, this session was very satisfying for me as it helps me to understand the boundary line difference between risks and assumptions.

This topic gave a clear understanding of how log frames are designed. i also learned a lot .

• Identifying and understanding of Risks and Assumptions of the project is essential as it helps and prompts the project owners to come up with strategies that mitigates the risks and helps to improve project success.

• Risk and assumptions can be very crucial to success of a project. I think a few things to keep in mind are the empty vessel fallacy and behavior change theories. The empty vessel fallacy tells us that simply providing information is not enough to have people change their behaviors. Applying behavior change theories can help us understand the risk and assumptions and back up our assertions with theories.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.