Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• What should be done in the case where the risks and assumptions are more in a project?

• Unrealistic target are unachievable goals...
    A goal is unrealistic when the goal is something that requires more energy, skills, talents, and time than you have available in order to achieve it. ... unrealistic goal may be one that is not in alignment with your own greatest gifts and talents

M
    1 Reply
  • Unrealistic target are unachievable goals...
    A goal is unrealistic when the goal is something that requires more energy, skills, talents, and time than you have available in order to achieve it. ... unrealistic goal may be one that is not in alignment with your own greatest gifts and talents

• Risks and assumptions are avoidable or unavoidable occurrences that might make an activity, impact or outcome to be fully achieved.
    The risks and assumptions analysis helps the programmer to know how and when to achieve the project goal within the required time

• Risks and Assumptions column is on the fourth column of the logframe. Assumptions can be described as the situations, events, conditions or decisions which are necessary for the success of the project, but which are largely or completely beyond the control of the project's management, while Risks are events that may have a negative impact on the project.

• Living in a time of Covid-19 meant there were a lot of unexpected risks and assumptions that have to be reviewed on how we operate further taking the worst case scenarios into account. will access to schools be possible? In not now, when? Additional costs of PPE and having to move to digital platforms. These adversely affected outputs as there was no or little access to children ( the main beneficiaries of the preventative programme).

T
    1 Reply
  • Living in a time of Covid-19 meant there were a lot of unexpected risks and assumptions that have to be reviewed on how we operate further taking the worst case scenarios into account. will access to schools be possible? In not now, when? Additional costs of PPE and having to move to digital platforms. These adversely affected outputs as there was no or little access to children ( the main beneficiaries of the preventative programme).

• M&E expert when you identified risks and assumptions in your logframe. Looking for risks and assumptions is a powerful way to escape your biases. For a really complete M&E plan, you would spend some time trying to respond to risks and assumptions before and during the project design phase. This type of research is called formative research, and, unfortunately, we will not have the time in this course to learn how to do this kind of research.

However, during the project, you will have plenty of time to examine your risks and assumptions. You will also have plenty of time to test the strength of your logical flow. To do this, we will need to start collecting data.

Some monitoring questions that you are now prepared to ask include:

Are enough inputs being provided?

How well do your inputs lead to your outputs?

How well do your outputs lead to outcomes?

• In the process of planning for a project, some people tend to be very much optimistic about progress. No one wants to start thinking about bad things that may likely happen during the course of achieving the project goal and objectives but there are many things that may likely go wrong during the course of the project. The logframe is there to help you identify the risks and assumptions that you may encounter in every stage of the way.
    The assumption is there to describe the situations, conditions, events or decisions which are very necessary for the success of the project but are largely or completely beyond the control of the project management.
    As an M&E expert you are supposed to list all the risk and assumptions that may likely disrupt your plan when developing your logframe and this has to be in every aspect of the projects inputs, outputs, outcome and Impact

• I have 2 questions

1. Does Risk and assumptions mandatory for any project Proposal?
    2. If I know the how to mitigate any said risk. does it need to be still mentioned in the Project?
    I
    1 Reply
  • This is so important topic, the example used to explain risk and assumptions made the point clear to me,

• this topic is very interesting. when I read this module I came to know that risks and assumptions are very important also for planning B or C. We can not only plan what we want in a project but we also have to assess things that are not desirable so that we are better prepared when this happens

• Targets are a result or coverage that a M & E officers are trying to achieve. unrealistic target is I think a target which is challenging and long term target.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• This topic is really good because I can learn about the logframe very detail and the explanation makes me easy to understand it.

• Identifying risks and assumptions before and during project implementation phases is cardinal because it will prepare us in advance to tackle unforseen events. This will likely make our project a success and all the goals will be accomplished. There can never be any project without risks and assumptions of failing therefore as M&E expert you need to iron out these risks in advance..

• It's important to always perform checks before and during the project design phase to uncover potential risks and assumptions as they could halt the progress of the project.
    Provide sufficient evidence to support every point mentioned across the logframe, this would ensure that assumptions and biases are removed. Risks are things outside our control that might interrupt with the progress of the project. Use efficient means of testing for the risks so as to completely eliminate them

• It's important to always perform checks before and during the project design phase to uncover potential risks and assumptions as they could halt the progress of the project.
    Provide sufficient evidence to support every point mentioned across the logframe, this would ensure that assumptions and biases are removed. Risks are things outside our control that might interrupt with the progress of the project. Use efficient means of testing for the risks so as to completely eliminate them. The most useful technique for figuring out assumptions and risks is to use the if/then statement

• How can we identify and eliminate risks?

• How can we identify and eliminate risks? Let's discuss on this fellow students

• can this M&E be used in small companies to know the risk and assumption?

E
    1 Reply
  • If I were to have a basic literacy for young children to adolescent project, what other risks and assumptions apart from not having enough resources, them not wanting to get out of their comfort zone, discourage and are not interested in learning?

• HOPEFULLY FOR EVRY PROJECT WE SHOULD REALLY HAVE RISKS AND ASSUMPTIONS

• An assumption is a statement that you assume is true and a risk an assumption with a higher level of failure. A risk is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of the project sustainability.

• It's really interesting to learn about the importance of taking risks and assumptions into considerations when producing an effective M+E plan. It makes the path clearer for success, once you've identified areas or issues that may arise, which might otherwise hinder the progress and success of your project.

• How to collect data to examine our risk or assumptions of the project's impact?

• Yes, I agree.

• This module has been very educative. it has made me learn that the impact should always be the main and long term effect of my project. I have also learned that one activity should directly lead to the next.

• i think it's really important to know the risks and assumptions of our plan so we can prepare for the worst case scenario, so if it happens, we know how to recover or solve it.

• i think it's really important to know the risks and assumptions of our plan so we can prepare for the worst case scenario, so if it happens, we know how to recover or solve it.

• loppppppppppppppp

• l,hbnjimk,l.;

• It's really interesting to learn about the importance of taking risks and assumptions into considerations when producing an effective M+E plan. It makes the path clearer for success, once you've identified areas or issues that may arise, which might otherwise hinder the progress and success of your project.

C
    1 Reply
  • the risk is very important to determine when we build a logframe since it gives us a general vision of the behavior of our project in such and such a situation.

• indeed this puts pressure on the realization of the project

• Identifying risks and assumptions will really help to prepare for any anticipated problem/issue, whenever the anticipated problem happens during the implementation of the project since we are already familiar with the issue, for us it will be easier to deal with it unlike anyone who did not identity risks and assumptions in the first place.

• risk are the threats the project might encounter while implementing while assumption are the things we imagine can occurs and interfer with the project

• Now that your brother has identified some risks and assumptions, you can take steps to avoid these problems: you can ask your mom how she feels about her childhood friends or set up travel arrangements for her friends in advance. During the party, you can monitor the situation to see how your mom is feeling. And if things do not go well, at least you will have a good idea about WHY they did not go well.

• Risk and Assumptions taught me to always take note of negative assumptions/ risks that can occur before or during project implementation. Because of this experience, I take take this time as an opportunity to share to my fellow leaners that they have to take note of risks during preparation of an M & E Plan that can occur not just during project implementation but also before project implementation. This can help deal with the risk without stressing.

• i think it's really important to know the risks and assumptions of our plan so we can prepare for the worst case scenario, so if it happens, we know how to recover or solve it

• In my project of fisheries I noticed that identifying risks and assumptions is crucial. This helped me to meet the outcomes with less challenges

• Risks once identified should be worked on, they shouldn't discourage us in carrying on with the projects.

• You are very right dear

• Identifying project risks and assumption in the earlier designing stage helps in us mitigation of our project failure and avoiding bias judgment.

• Risks and Assumptions is two kind of related things, risks will happen if we did a mistake so there will be a risk, and assumptions is about what we expect about something.

• "Empowering Nigerian Youths"

Are there be enough resources to empower Nigerian Youths?

How do we know the exact number of Nigerian Youths that are legitimate for the empowerment program?

What is the age bracket for the project?

Will Nigerian Youths value the project?

• Planning with the mindset of Risk and Assumption will actually help one not to be frustrated or disappointed with the project results but rather help him/her to readjust his/her work plan

A
    1 Reply
  • Risks and Assumptions are inevitable to help us mitigate some of the hurdles our project might face.

• Input-low capacity to undertake the level of financial task of internet banking.
    Output-the other departments might have conflicting schedules that would make them indisposed to have the workshop.
    Outcome- Weak Network
    Impact-Internet banking might be too techy for the level or rurality.

• My project is to introduce internet banking in the finance department for a better and faster financial practice.
    The below are the Risks and Assumptions that might hamper my 4 Logframes.
    Input-low capacity to undertake the level of financial task of internet banking.
    Output-the other departments might have conflicting schedules that would make them indisposed to have the workshop.
    Outcome- Weak Network
    Impact-Internet banking might be too techy for the level or rurality

• Well put risks against your log frames. You also mapped out the alternative actions.

• During the planning of your project, one of the most important things for you to do is to find your projects risk and assumptions and work towards how you intend to deal with them. For risk is something that is completely out of your control but you tend to know it during the planning stage of the project while assumptions are things that you believe in without much convincing evidence on ground.

1 Reply
  • Indeed the case of COVID-19 pandemic has brought about some unexpected risk and assumptions. With COVID-19 in place, any M&E person that is developing and M&E logframe has to consider some risk and assumptions associated with COVID-19 into consideration. As a result of COVID-19, many health facilities were closed down in northern Nigeria due to the fear of contracting COVID-19. This has brought down the number of health facilities attendance by patients, caregivers, service providers and also low coverage in some of indicators that the states are monitoring

• In order to identify risks and assumptions, it is important to think about the impact that the project intends to have or the goals of the project, secondly, ask yourselves what activities are required to achieve the goal, what should be done, how and what is needed, and then you are able to think about what could prevent you from getting there. By that, risk and assumptions can be populated and anticipated.

• Risks and assumptions are the things that might disrupt your plan for each level of your log frame inputs,outputs,outcomes and impact
    Ask what could go wrong or what might prevent you from providing the inputs and if you provide the inputs are you sure that this will lead to the outcome

• know the risking risk and assumption before you plan a project is vital to ensure success of the project. New risk and assumption can also be found as the project is going on through monitoring.

• For every project no matter what there is risks and for a better project its better or it is of the great use if you propose assumptions that might be encounter as the project is in progress so that managers should have the means or solution of putting it down or dealing with it as soon as possible for the benefit of the project.

Every organization preparation should be of the mile stone to generate possible out fit of the project, and it is also of the great use to have bunker service or have money used for emergencies that might be uncounted during the midst of the project

• first thing we must know that, anything can happen in the midst of the project for example arrange when the material come to and end or transportation, that mean you should see the way forward hence you need to set the ball spinning by finding means to make to project continue and another example if you conducting survey during rain season the data make take time due to heavy rains or wind that lead to the data delivery delay, here you can use technology that will allow the personnel directly sent the data after the assessment

• it is very important for organization to first check for risk and assumptions at the beginning of a project. This helps to minimize most of negative results that would have encountered during the project process. Some of risk and assumptions can be manageable, for example if you need a machine to finish a project and you find out its broken whilst you have not checked it at the beginning of your project, then this will put a lot of difficulties in completing. So, its very necessary to look out for risk and assumptions.

• It is very important to forecast the things that may disrupt the progress of a project through factoring them on the log frame on the risks and assumptions column. It gives the project a way to be able to measure some of the outcomes factoring these issues.

• Risks and assumptions are the hardest part - if some of the assumptions do not hold true (and is formative research is not performed), it my put a great risk to project outcomes.
    Also, answering impact atribution questions tends not to be easy

• This module has been very useful to me. It is very important to identify potential risks and possible mitigation measures before the project starts. In a previous project where i was involved, we skip this component and it costed the project alot of time and resources to fix some risks we ran into that were not anticipated.

• risks and assumptions is very important because every action can lead into something risky so best part to avoid it is always prepare for the worse by identify first what risks and assumptions of the logframe.

• Risks could be happen by cultural, natural disaster, political, economic, pandemic and so on that these we could not control.
    For assumption, I still learning and still confuse. ;)

• Every outcome is out of our control and most of time is base on our bias. We need to identify our risks and assumptions so we can reduce the failure rate of our project.

• How do you identify and address the risks of project in economic development?

• Risks and Assumptions should be identified early during the project design. Spending time to respond to this risks and assumptions will limit the amount of bias in the project.

• It is very important for risks and assumptions to be considered in a project because they allow you make better decisions and consider if the project is worth doing.

J
    1 Reply
  • To what extent is it true that successful people always take risk and that assumptions are not the best experiments.
    I belief that for any project to achieve the result, it is important to know what you want and more importantly focus on what you need. This will eventually answer questions that arise during the project design phase.

• Risk and assumptions is the backbone of any M&E plan, without finding the risks and assumptions your project will faced a lot of challenges which might result in preventing you to achieve your end goals.

• It is important to assess the likelihood of the inputs to result in the expected outcomes, and the likelihood of the outcomes to result in the expected impact. In order to assess that, it is important to consider the risks and assumptions. Risks are unpredictable. Assumptions are the statements made without evidences. To list the assumptions help to reduce biases . It is important to list the assumptions before an during the implementation of the project.

• Risks and assumptions talk about the things that are out of your control and biases that might disturb your plan when designing a log frame.
    Assumptions of are the things you believe without evidence. It could be based on personal values and beliefs or a novel once read or any knowledge prior to the project. It is important to identify and discuss risks and assumptions before a project starts. This helps in seeing things you can avoid or how one can deal with each for a better outcome in the project

M
    1 Reply
  • It is clear that we´ll not have all the answers to possible risks and, some assumption are going to be needed but, it doesn´t mean we don´t have to exercise and forseen all possible risk scenarios for our project. What can be of great help is to tell you logical flow to someone that is note entirely involved in the project, so you can have an external opnion with fresh eyes.

• I find risks and assumptions particularly interesting. In my limited experience doing M&E work at my organization, I've come to the realization that not everyone is able to truly identify a risk, or differentiate between an assumption and evidence-backed statements or truths. This of course impacts the integrity and effectiveness of M&E. I'm working to figure out how to navigate this piece of the M&E conversation which my colleagues who are not (or aren't on their way to becoming) M&E experts but are rather other types of internal stakeholders.

• I like that you pointed out the root of many assumptions. In my experience assumptions rooted in personal values, experiences, beliefs are the hardest to navigate, as many people are not willing to let go or rethink them, even if it means not fully evaluating and learning from a project.

• Taking Risk and Assumption into consideration will actually be of help to get ride of been disappointed or discouraged not meeting up with the expected results

• An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like. We have to assume our government keeps working, our organization will keep existing and the weather will follow its usual pattern. Sometimes we look at these things as if they were facts, but in reality they are just assumptions, as we cannot be 100% sure. Here are a couple of examples of assumptions in a project proposal:

All building materials will be available in the market before the project start
    The legal framework will not change drastically in the near future
    The pattern of rain will not change in the near future
    A risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially. You have to take risks into account when planning your project as they might change the entire setup if the event actually occurs. They might even end your entire project if the occur. Here are a couple of examples of risks in a project proposal:

After an election, a different political party is in charge that does not support your agenda
    Natural catastrophes like floods or landslides hamper with the success of your project
    The pattern of rain will change in the near future

• The writing is not clear, so please if you can come again

• Thanks.
    This course has been very intresting and i have learnt alot

• I see Risks and Assumptions as a quality tool in M&E. It helps management to prepare for unknown and helps in deciding if a project is feasible.

• A project implementation is not a linear function. So, risks will come up unavoidably. To be able to mitigate them when they arrive, it is a good idea to make a risks and assumptions analysis during the design phase. In order to get a better overview of these risks, it is important to involve all the major stakeholders in the community. We can also consult the history of past projects in the area if documents are available. Skipping this step may conduct to failure or waste of time.

HS

• This topic is very insightful. You have to think out inorder to know what can make you fail. Then you can plan appropriately.

• I think identifying risks and assumptions requires well rounded knowledge of the inputs and the implementation environment of the project

• I think that highlighting risks and assumptions need a well rounded understanding of inputs, processes, and the implementing environment of the project

• Risk and assumption is one vital if not must vital aspect of an ME generally, it gives u the idea of what need to be done, the caution to be taken and measures to be put in place so as to come to the impact of ur project goal. It is a curtail measure required of any good project design and implementation. I use this approach very often to find out the pros and con's of my project before implementing

• This topic is very insightful. You have to think out inorder to know what can make you fail. Then you can plan appropriately.

• Risks and assumptions should be discussed from the start and throughout the project. They will in someway determine the success or failure of the project. The role of M&E team is to ensure that they mitigate the risks as fast and as much as they can so that the project can go on and succeed. Also knowing the risks in advance will enable the team to update project log frame and work plan in time.

• Risks are factors outside of your control that could cause your project to go poorly, or disrupt your plan

Assumptions are your biases, things you believe but are not supported by evidence

• It is important to consider eventual risks and assumptions that can occur in the cycle of a project and take decisions that prevent them from producing troubles.

• It is important to identify risks and assumption before starting a project because it will help you understand where to rely and where to move to. Also, this will help you develop and have an achievable project design part.

• While designing a logframe, it is important to list all the risks and assumptions that have been made. This helps the implementing team to be on the look out to avoid or mitigate risk when they encounter it. Some risks may require the assistance of external parties (e.g. security) and it is important to loop them in before hand. Risks and assumptions can make/break a project and therefore must be handled with care.

• how do i identify the risk and assumption in my project

• Regarding the risks and assumption I deeply understand the process as you mentioned at last model about the issues of conducting birthday to mom I leaned and understand much, Thank You.

• Assumptions refers to individual biases in developing a framework while risk refers to uncontrollable circumstances beyond ones control in the course of the project.

• Risks and assumptions are essential to lead to the success of the project. Since it is a question of the conditions which can thwart the success of the project during its conception.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.