Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• it is very important for organization to first check for risk and assumptions at the beginning of a project. This helps to minimize most of negative results that would have encountered during the project process. Some of risk and assumptions can be manageable, for example if you need a machine to finish a project and you find out its broken whilst you have not checked it at the beginning of your project, then this will put a lot of difficulties in completing. So, its very necessary to look out for risk and assumptions.

• It is very important to forecast the things that may disrupt the progress of a project through factoring them on the log frame on the risks and assumptions column. It gives the project a way to be able to measure some of the outcomes factoring these issues.

• Risks and assumptions are the hardest part - if some of the assumptions do not hold true (and is formative research is not performed), it my put a great risk to project outcomes.
    Also, answering impact atribution questions tends not to be easy

• This module has been very useful to me. It is very important to identify potential risks and possible mitigation measures before the project starts. In a previous project where i was involved, we skip this component and it costed the project alot of time and resources to fix some risks we ran into that were not anticipated.

• risks and assumptions is very important because every action can lead into something risky so best part to avoid it is always prepare for the worse by identify first what risks and assumptions of the logframe.

• Risks could be happen by cultural, natural disaster, political, economic, pandemic and so on that these we could not control.
    For assumption, I still learning and still confuse. ;)

• Every outcome is out of our control and most of time is base on our bias. We need to identify our risks and assumptions so we can reduce the failure rate of our project.

• How do you identify and address the risks of project in economic development?

• Risks and Assumptions should be identified early during the project design. Spending time to respond to this risks and assumptions will limit the amount of bias in the project.

• It is very important for risks and assumptions to be considered in a project because they allow you make better decisions and consider if the project is worth doing.

J
    1 Reply
  • To what extent is it true that successful people always take risk and that assumptions are not the best experiments.
    I belief that for any project to achieve the result, it is important to know what you want and more importantly focus on what you need. This will eventually answer questions that arise during the project design phase.

• Risk and assumptions is the backbone of any M&E plan, without finding the risks and assumptions your project will faced a lot of challenges which might result in preventing you to achieve your end goals.

• It is important to assess the likelihood of the inputs to result in the expected outcomes, and the likelihood of the outcomes to result in the expected impact. In order to assess that, it is important to consider the risks and assumptions. Risks are unpredictable. Assumptions are the statements made without evidences. To list the assumptions help to reduce biases . It is important to list the assumptions before an during the implementation of the project.

• Risks and assumptions talk about the things that are out of your control and biases that might disturb your plan when designing a log frame.
    Assumptions of are the things you believe without evidence. It could be based on personal values and beliefs or a novel once read or any knowledge prior to the project. It is important to identify and discuss risks and assumptions before a project starts. This helps in seeing things you can avoid or how one can deal with each for a better outcome in the project

M
    1 Reply
  • It is clear that we´ll not have all the answers to possible risks and, some assumption are going to be needed but, it doesn´t mean we don´t have to exercise and forseen all possible risk scenarios for our project. What can be of great help is to tell you logical flow to someone that is note entirely involved in the project, so you can have an external opnion with fresh eyes.

• I find risks and assumptions particularly interesting. In my limited experience doing M&E work at my organization, I've come to the realization that not everyone is able to truly identify a risk, or differentiate between an assumption and evidence-backed statements or truths. This of course impacts the integrity and effectiveness of M&E. I'm working to figure out how to navigate this piece of the M&E conversation which my colleagues who are not (or aren't on their way to becoming) M&E experts but are rather other types of internal stakeholders.

• I like that you pointed out the root of many assumptions. In my experience assumptions rooted in personal values, experiences, beliefs are the hardest to navigate, as many people are not willing to let go or rethink them, even if it means not fully evaluating and learning from a project.

• Taking Risk and Assumption into consideration will actually be of help to get ride of been disappointed or discouraged not meeting up with the expected results

• An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like. We have to assume our government keeps working, our organization will keep existing and the weather will follow its usual pattern. Sometimes we look at these things as if they were facts, but in reality they are just assumptions, as we cannot be 100% sure. Here are a couple of examples of assumptions in a project proposal:

All building materials will be available in the market before the project start
    The legal framework will not change drastically in the near future
    The pattern of rain will not change in the near future
    A risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially. You have to take risks into account when planning your project as they might change the entire setup if the event actually occurs. They might even end your entire project if the occur. Here are a couple of examples of risks in a project proposal:

After an election, a different political party is in charge that does not support your agenda
    Natural catastrophes like floods or landslides hamper with the success of your project
    The pattern of rain will change in the near future

• The writing is not clear, so please if you can come again

• Thanks.
    This course has been very intresting and i have learnt alot

• I see Risks and Assumptions as a quality tool in M&E. It helps management to prepare for unknown and helps in deciding if a project is feasible.

• A project implementation is not a linear function. So, risks will come up unavoidably. To be able to mitigate them when they arrive, it is a good idea to make a risks and assumptions analysis during the design phase. In order to get a better overview of these risks, it is important to involve all the major stakeholders in the community. We can also consult the history of past projects in the area if documents are available. Skipping this step may conduct to failure or waste of time.

HS

• This topic is very insightful. You have to think out inorder to know what can make you fail. Then you can plan appropriately.

• I think identifying risks and assumptions requires well rounded knowledge of the inputs and the implementation environment of the project

• I think that highlighting risks and assumptions need a well rounded understanding of inputs, processes, and the implementing environment of the project

• Risk and assumption is one vital if not must vital aspect of an ME generally, it gives u the idea of what need to be done, the caution to be taken and measures to be put in place so as to come to the impact of ur project goal. It is a curtail measure required of any good project design and implementation. I use this approach very often to find out the pros and con's of my project before implementing

• This topic is very insightful. You have to think out inorder to know what can make you fail. Then you can plan appropriately.

• Risks and assumptions should be discussed from the start and throughout the project. They will in someway determine the success or failure of the project. The role of M&E team is to ensure that they mitigate the risks as fast and as much as they can so that the project can go on and succeed. Also knowing the risks in advance will enable the team to update project log frame and work plan in time.

• Risks are factors outside of your control that could cause your project to go poorly, or disrupt your plan

Assumptions are your biases, things you believe but are not supported by evidence

• It is important to consider eventual risks and assumptions that can occur in the cycle of a project and take decisions that prevent them from producing troubles.

• It is important to identify risks and assumption before starting a project because it will help you understand where to rely and where to move to. Also, this will help you develop and have an achievable project design part.

• While designing a logframe, it is important to list all the risks and assumptions that have been made. This helps the implementing team to be on the look out to avoid or mitigate risk when they encounter it. Some risks may require the assistance of external parties (e.g. security) and it is important to loop them in before hand. Risks and assumptions can make/break a project and therefore must be handled with care.

• how do i identify the risk and assumption in my project

• Regarding the risks and assumption I deeply understand the process as you mentioned at last model about the issues of conducting birthday to mom I leaned and understand much, Thank You.

• Assumptions refers to individual biases in developing a framework while risk refers to uncontrollable circumstances beyond ones control in the course of the project.

• Risks and assumptions are essential to lead to the success of the project. Since it is a question of the conditions which can thwart the success of the project during its conception.

• I have learnt the difference between Risks and assumptions and the significance of identifying them at the project design phase through the Log frame.
    Risk- These are external factors that fall negatively affect delivery of the project. These factors are also beyond the control of the project manager.
    Assumptions - These are factors that are purely base on the bias of the project manager and can affect the delivery of the project.
    The importance of identifying the risks and assumptions of the project at the design stage is that you will be able to make informed decisions on how best to implement the project as well as make timely decisions on how to mitigate the effects of the identified risk.
    The most efficient way to identify the potential risks and assumptions for the project is through the if/then statements. Through linking various inputs and outputs one can correctly identify the risks and assumptions of a given project.
    Risks and assumptions should be identified for the goal of the project, the purpose as well as the project activities i.e inputs and outputs.

• Risk and Assumptions could help me to determine what risk can be occurred or make assumptions about it

• risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal.
    Identifying Risk and assumptions are an important part of a project because they could allow possible solutions prior to the assumptions or risk occurring.
    For example with reference to the Galz and Goals programme in Namibia the risk and assumptions will include that:
    Parents and guardians might not want their young girls to participate in the programmme- lack of support from parents.
    The coaches might not be willing to take time to to attend life skills training.
    Young girls might not be willing to get tested for HIV.
    Young girls might not be allowed to play football because of gender roles and norms
    however, all this risks could have a solution if they happen to occur.

• Risk and assumption helps in defining, formulating, and validating project hypothesis.

• The issue of risks and assumptions is an important one in business or project establishment. Same for bias. More often we tend to start ventures on the basis of our beliefs and intuition than empirical evidence. The results have been that our projects fail

• True, we must be very considerate during the planning phase

• Identifying the risks and assumptions at every step - Input, Output, Outcome & Impact, would help in preparing for the foreseeable setbacks with proactive measures. Having a contingency plan for all possible risks, would save time, cost and other resources. Having assumptions outlined would help in specifying the conditions under which each step would be successful.

• This topic has been very informative to me, I have appreciated the need to always find evidence to support my what if especially when linking outputs to outcomes, this cab be done through searching for evidence from previous studies or projects so as to avoid bias

• The risks and assumptions is an important aspect in which any monitoring and evaluation planning has to critically deal with if really the project is willing for success. Most of the avoidable problems that might be encountered would have been dealt with.

• Risks and assumptions are things that can cause the smooth project implementation. They do not necessarily emanate from the implementers but are rather beyond their control. Risks and assumptions are useful in mitigating challenges as they pop up because provision would have made for them at the planning phase.

• I have understood what risks are and assumptions.

• difference betwin risk and assumption

• This module is very import and actually I understand very the rique and the assumptions. They are very important in the Logframe

• This module is very import and actually I understand very the rique and the assumptions. They are very important in the Logframe

• KEY TERMS
    Here are a few important words that you will use this week.

Logframe (Logical Framework)
    A tool for project design. A logframe describes:

The project’s activities

The project’s short-term and long-term goals

How progress towards goals will be measured

Risks that might prevent you from reaching your goals

Inputs
    These are the resources that go into your project. Examples include:

money

activity space

an expert’s time

Outputs
    These are the products or services that your project makes. Examples include:

homes built

loans given

workshops held

Outcomes
    These are the positive effects of your project. Examples include:

participants learning new skills

the rate of an illness going down

Impact
    This is the large positive change that you hope your project will create for the world. Examples include:

improving the health of a target population

saving a species from extinction

Risks
    Factors outside of your control that could cause your project to go poorly. Examples include:

participants may not be able to get to the workshop

funds intended for the project may be taken by government officials

Assumptions
    Things that you believe but that are not supported by evidence. Examples include:

participants will be allowed to join this activity

participants who have learned financial skills will want to save money

• in module 2 :

Risks and Assumptions
    identifying the risks and assumptions can give to assess the scenaries take steps to avoid these problems , while you analysis the situation.
    Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan. Assumptions are your biases: the things that you believe without much evidence. When you design a project, it is important to find the risks and assumptions before the project starts.

Regards.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• This are bias or situation that can affect the objective/ goal of a projects thus affect the outcome. They can be internal or external

• This are bias or situation that can affect the objective/ goal of a projects thus affect the outcome. They can be internal or external

• Risques et hypothèse

• Risques et hypothèse

• Risques et hypothèse

• Risques et Hypothèse sont-ils des outils pour mesurer les impacts ?

• Risques et hyppothese sont il des outils pour mesurer les impact

• module 2 was very helpful but I would like additional content on the logframe.

• Are there like a minimum or maximum number of risks and assumptions that should be listed.
    If a project has too many risks and assumptions listed isn't that a flag for a poor project design?
    Can you make changes to inputs, outputs and outcomes after reviewing your risks and assumptions?

• in general, the risks and the assumptions make it possible to undermine the extent to which the plan to organize could not work because of several factors that were not taken at the start.

Risks are things out of our control that could disrupt our plan, and Assumptions are our prejudices the things we believe in without much evidence.

it is essential to find the risks and assumptions before starting the project. In this sense, we must identify them in the logical framework, that is to say at each level of this framework inputs, outputs, results and impact we should ask the following questions, what could go wrong? Is there anything that could prevent us from providing the inputs? And, if we provide the inputs, are we sure that will lead to the outputs? using IF/THEN form.

• Risks and assumptions are put in place and analyzed to prepare for the unseen possible events. We come up with project risks and assumptions by studying past events and engaging beneficiaries.
    For the imaginary project proposed in Module 1, the Risks would be;

1. Women in rural areas would not take the prenatal vitamins and pregna care because of culture and beliefs
      2.Women in rural areas do not like their vitals being monitored during pregnancy because of beliefs in their culture.

A way to avoid these risks would be to engage traditional leadership in promoting healthy pregnancy.

• Risk are what the project has no control of while assumptions are your biases that influence the project

• When we do not take into account verifiable data into our project design we can assume that we will succeed, but data help us to ask questions about the risks and the real impact of the project, I have seen many good projects with lots of funding that have not produce the desired impact because the bias was prevalent in the design stage. To really create a long lasting impact in communities we need to constantly ask about risks and assumptions and adapt to it in our project.

• • Non-adherence of the population to the Project
    • Lack of necessary space for farms in the targeted municipalities
    • Lack of experienced trainers in the field
    • Resistance of populations to change

• Risks are events that projects do not have any control over it while assumptions are biases of project implementers that influence the outcome of a project

• Risk and assumption help you to identify problems and biases that can negatively affect your projects

identifying the problem before embarking on a project will help you reach a positive result.

also knowing the biases of what effect the project negatively will however, assist you on your impact , input, output and output.

• Do we have to asses the probability of each risk? What should we do if the risk is high?

• I have come to realized that a good project logframe sould imcopasses 'Riska and Assumptations'. As identifying risks and asumptions especially considering 'If and THAN statement.
    However, what I do not undestand and I need some clearity; is how to link and ask question regarding the verious levels within the logframe if something goes wrong to the IF and THAN statement.

• Risks are factors that ciuld the projects to go poorly. Assumptions are beliefs that may be true but are not evident.

A
    1 Reply
  • Risks are factors that ciuld the projects to go poorly. Assumptions are beliefs that may be true but are not evident.

• An assumption is a statement that you assume is true and a risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. A risk is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of the project sustainability.

• Risk and Assumptions are often overlooked in design phase and posed a real threat in project implementations since it is situations and or circumstances that are unprepared for hence delays or even worse derailed a project. By exploring risk and assumptions we are able to plan forward and adjust to situations and or circumstances. It gives confidence in people who implements projects that most scenarios are catered for and a mental realizations that not all are within our control and instead focus on aspect of project that we are able to effect.

• Risks and assumptions help us see the conditions which are out of our control during our project, and lists all the things that might disrupt our project. They are included in the logframe and are made based on the experience of the past events. These risks and assumptions can be spotted by writing the if/then statements for the project. The if/then statements can point out the gaps between input and output, between output and outcome and between outcome and impact. After identifying some of the risks and assumptions before the project begins, we can take steps to avoid them and can respond to them before and during the project design phase.

• I have learned that it is very important to think deeply about the risks and assumptions that may hurt your project and take steps to rectify and neutralize their effects to ensure that the project run smoothly and that the desired impact is achieved.

• It is very important to identify the risks and assumptions , because we sow a lot of projets which did not make impact, they didn't work seriously on the project's risks.

• Risks are things that might have a negative impact on a project and are outside one's control. It is important to identify possible risks so as to take the right steps in reducing the chances of the risks taking place.

Assumptions are biases or things one believes without proper evidence.

• **Data Management Questions **

1. Who will collect data?
    2. Who will enter and collate data?
    3. Who will check data quality?
    4. Who will analyze the data?
    5. Who will store data?
    6. Who will create reports?
    7. Who will send reports?
    8. Who will make decisions based on the data?
  • It's important to make assumptions about the risks that may occur when undertaking a project. Yes it is important as it will make us prepare for unforeseen circumstances on the project. I identifying risks and the mitigation strategies is important for a project, so you are not caught off guard.

• Risks and assumptions are the possible hinderences to the implementation of the project. Possible risks need to be outlined so that we know, the possible setbacks we might have. if not managed well the risks can lead to the failure of the project.

• Risks and assumptions are things that can cause the smooth project implementation. They do not necessarily emanate from the implementers but are rather beyond their control. Risks and assumptions are useful in mitigating challenges as they pop up because provision would have made for them at the planning phase.

• I enjoyed the lecture, it is very explanatory. Thanks

• Risks and assumptions are very important. It seems that sometimes, depending on your project, you can't see them. Maybe the organization can use an outside resource to help it find those risks and assumptions or it is impossible to use someone outside the organization?

• There a link betwin risks and assumptions so what are de different for them

K
    1 Reply
  • I think this is a very important part of the project circle, this module has help me to eliminate any form of biasness and checking for every possible risk and avoid assumptions which may come up
    as a result of planning the project.

K
    1 Reply
  • Risks are events that may have a negative impact on the project while assumptions describe the situations, events, conditions or decisions which are necessary for the success of the project, but which are largely or completely beyond the control of the project's management

F
    1 Reply
  • Well elaborated and going great so far

• Risks are uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. They can result into poor performance of the project since one can not be able to control them. For example in Live Health Initiative when they donate re-usable sanitary towels to girls in school ,the girls may decide not to use them instead.
    Assumption are conditions that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity although they are not believed. In Live Health Initiative the management believe that by issuing reusable sanitary towels to girls in school will prevent early marriage and school drop-out, but this is not an assurance that 100% of girls will finish their education.

• Risk assessment is a term used to describe the overall process or method where you: Identify hazards and risk factors that have the potential to cause harm (hazard identification). Analyze and evaluate the risk associated with that hazard (risk analysis, and risk evaluation.

Risk assessments are very important as they form an integral part of an occupational health and safety management plan. They help to:

Create awareness of hazards and risk.
    Identify who may be at risk (e.g., employees, cleaners, visitors, contractors, the public, etc.).
    Determine whether a control program is required for a particular hazard.
    Determine if existing control measures are adequate or if more should be done.
    Prevent injuries or illnesses, especially when done at the design or planning stage.
    Prioritize hazards and control measures.
    Meet legal requirements where applicable.

An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity. If the assumption doesn't happen then the project is negatively affected. With a risk we anticipate that the risk might happen and thus negatively impact our project.

• Risk and assumption are along with the project.
    Fir example you are going to build a house .now risks are there, if government not allowed you, financial market crashed out,labor strikes, not qualified engineering
    But assumption is may you will not face these problems

• This module provided a great insight into Risks and Assumptions perceptions

J
    1 Reply
  • Taking notes of risk and assumptions that may affect the project before it is implemented is very important ,this is because it may help us spot out biases on our project plan and help us prepare for any serious damage that may hurt the project

• Risks are the things outside of your control, while assumptions are your biases.

• Risks as substance beyond control can be expected and therefore plan for management strategy(ies). Risks are part of our lives and as such we can do away with them. While assumptions express our thought, with risk management strategy(ies), we can work towards achieving our assumptions.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.