Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Not recognizing the truth about the targets, especially about the difficulties that might be involved.

• Having Risks and assumptions in a good way to check if your project can be implemented and can help redefine the impact in the M&E plan.

M
    1 Reply
  • Risks and assumptions are possible factors that might negatively affect the desired results of the project

A
    1 Reply
  • Taking into consideration risk that will prevent or hinder the implementation of your project with give you a better chance to make assumptions that will be able to make you overcome those risks

• Taking into consideration risk that will prevent or hinder the implementation of your project will give you a better chance to make assumptions that will be able to make you overcome those risks

• Risks are the things beyond your control that may disrupt your plan. An assumption is that thing that you believe without any evidence.

• It is important to find out your risks and assumptions during the project design stage so you can plan ahead on how to handle them. It also helps you identify your biases and how to work against them

• Is there a methodic way of making assumption and risk to assure that such risks are realistic to the context and reality of the project and implementation location?

S
    1 Reply
  • I honestly hardly linked the risks /assumptions at different levels, impact level, outcome level and output level

J
    1 Reply
  • Risk and assumption is also considerable thing in building logframe. If we ignore potential risk and assumption in developing logframe, we could not get the good one.

• Risk and assumption is also considerable thing in building logframe. If we ignore potential risk and assumption in developing logframe, we could not get the good one.

• Risks are factors outside of your control that could cause any project go poorly.
    For example
    MEH project can have risks of;
    The young girls getting early pregnancy.
    Not having enough information or data on how to run a business.
    Miss management of the given Micro loans on other useless things .
    Assumptions things one believe without any evidence.
    For example MEH may have the assumptions of the girls not miss using the Micro loans.

• Assessing risks and assumptions enable one to plan adequately and assess where there is a likelihood of failure. This therefore helps to seal all the loopholes which may hurt the project plan.

• Assessing risks and assumptions enable one to plan adequately and assess where there is a likelihood of failure. This therefore helps to seal all the loopholes which may hurt the project plan.

• Risksand Assumptions are things that can negatively affect your project

D
    1 Reply
  • During the design phase, can't there be a small survey with the target population to make more informed risks and assumptions for the project?

D
    1 Reply
  • This is a very important part of the project design which is often overlooked. I have developed projects and programs and included these and no one bothers about them

• Identifying risks and assumptions may not need a survey. Already a formative research will have been done to inform the project and these will be captured in there

• Risks and assumptions are a very important part of designing a project and support a lot during evaluation if certain goals are not met

• I do agree that data reliance is good but what if you do not achieve on your goals yet you did not have certain assumptions in place for example pandemics that could affect the entire implementation of your project

• Have you applied this to your project? How was the experience

• An educative journey so far.
    The "Risks and Assumptions" column is the part of your project that if not taken care of critically can pose a lot of challenges to the achievement of the goal. It requires a lot of thinking and understanding of the project at hand.
    Thank you Philanthropy U

• I think managing risks and assumptions is an important aspect of project design and M&E especially when it comes to contexts that the organization is not familiar with. I do believe that especially in the international aid sector this would help prevent failed aid projects. Consequently, to identify risks and assumptions organizations should make community members thought-partners.

• Riks as war or politic instability can put on impact risk

• I have through gain a lot from this module more especially the meaning and difference between risk and assumption

• Risks are the unforeseen circumstances/conditions that could interrupt the implementation and success of a project. The risks could be with in the implementing organisation or in its external environmental. It is there very crucial for an organization to assess both its internal and external environment for any potential projects during project design.
    Examples of internal risks include having limited staff or staff lack skills to implement the project effectively. External risks could include the political or economic environment in the implementation area.

Assumptions are the things we think or take as acceptable without any clear evidence. Assumptions could also be derived from the risks and cut across all stages of project implementation.

Formanynproject therefore to be implemented successfully, there is need to adequately assess the risks so that mitigation or avoidance measures are well structured into project design. There is need to also constantly monitor the project during implemantation for any risks that might come along during implementation.
    How well we integrate our risks and assumptions in the project design determines how successful the project will be.

• We were taken by surprise by a lockdown imposed by the government of Uganda. We were running a project called CBIM (Coaching Boys Into Men) but we never thought our activities could get interrupted by the COVID-19 lockdown. Luckily, we were able to adjust for other activities in our program but the CBIM did not survive because it required physical presence of participants.

There is nothing much that we can do about this but in the future, we will definitely list an outbreak as a potential risk that we might face in the implementation of our programs.

• Looking for risks and assumptions is a powerful way to escape your biases.

• Risk are the things or processes outside your control that can disrupt your plan. It is important to envisage possible risk and possible ways to mitigate risk when developing the log frame of your project. Assumptions are things you believe in that are not backed by evidence. Every once in a while we make assumptions that may or not be true. So its important to work with evidence in before designing a project.

1 Reply
  • Bonsoir Madame/Monsieur!
    D'après ce qui a été dis dans le cours, les risques et hypothèses sont des choses ou évènements qui pourraient perturber le bon déroulement du plan.
    Mes questions sont les suivantes?

• Qu'est ce qui différencie un risque d'une hypothèse?
    • Au niveau de la forme, les risques et hypothèses une fois identifiés sont formulés de la même manière?
    • Est ce que tous les risques identifiés sont reportés dans le cadre logique, peu importe leur gravité?
  • When thinking of risks and assumptions I found out that my outcomes and impacts were too similar. The impact my organization had landed upon was not "big enough". Our impact was just merely the execution of the outcomes. Stopping to think about risks and assumptions made us realice this similarity and it helped us adjust.
    We understood that as we go up the logframe we find more risks and assumptions and this is normal, but this should not limit us to think big and expect to have larger impact.

• The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might disrupt your plan. For each level of your logframe - inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact - you ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?

Remember the if/then statements that we made at the beginning of this module? Here is an example to remind you:
    IF you have new knowledge, THEN you will perform better on job applications.

• The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might disrupt your plan. For each level of your logframe - inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact - you ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?

Remember the if/then statements that we made at the beginning of this module? Here is an example to remind you:

• Should we include political interferences as risks that may affect our logframe

• I was wondering how risks and assumptions should be phrased. I presume, risks will be stated in negative terms and the assumptions are just statements. And how would I know a project is stating only risks and others only assumptions - what choices should we make in selecting the listing.

• That was great

1. The girls' businesses might not be financially successful
    2. Girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses.
    3. Girls might be discourage from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture
    4. Girls might not know how to start or upgrade a business.
    5. Microloans are given to the wrong people.
    6. Girls are not interested in getting microloans.
    7. There are not enough funds for microloans.
  • Sometime when you are given to probably out line the risks and assumption, you stagger and actually thing so far from what can be easily identified as risks and assumption. however, with this module, its much clear how one can bring out these after looking through the project. what i really know is that risks and assumption can be underestimated.

• any one here???

• how donu fix this means of verification??

• This course is so helpful, left the university but i stopped from tge lecture. i feel alive again now. I can do this, yeyyyy😊.

• Assumptions are predefined positions we developed about some thing. unless we have data or evidence , we can't be sure but give as some insight about the situation. And risk are more negative scenarios or events that would disrupt our project.

Unrealistic targets emerge when we tend to focus on ambitious goals to achieve . in addition, the capacity to use data and generate meaning full prediction leads to un realistic targets. so we need concert data to set targets and it requires to detach oneself from biases.

• risk and assumptions are all negative effects that can come to your project during planing and implementation can be a security, disaster, conflict, refused to implement the project, misunderstanding of the beneficiary and so on.

• Risks and Assumptions are notions and ideas that the researcher often has and thinks about in terms of the factors which may delay the progression of the project and the outcomes that may be intended. An example would include thinking that young people don't want to engage in SRH activities because they are ignorant and feel embarrassed to access the SRH services.

• Risks and Assumptions are notions and ideas that the researcher often has and thinks about in terms of the factors which may delay the progression of the project and the outcomes that may be intended. An example would include thinking that young people don't want to engage in SRH activities because they are ignorant and feel embarrassed to access the SRH services.

• How assumptions are different from risks?

• But I think there is a bite diiference. as defined by the M&E experts. the main difference between an assumption and a risk is that when we make an assumption, we expect that assumption will happen. If the assumption doesn't happen then the project is negatively affected. With a risk we anticipate that the risk might happen and thus negatively impact our project.

• Il y a bien une légère différence.

L
    1 Reply
  • I find this part of the logframe very important as you get to think about any potential issues that might stand in the way and prevent the realization of the project. This is very crucial as you well have to think about them well in advance, and this is an important element of the planning process and also decision making.

• True, the fact that you have to think about them well in advance and include them in the logframe has good implications for planning, once anticipated, there is room for adjusting things around to a avoid pitfalls. That makes management easier than without them?

J
    1 Reply
  • Risks and Assumptions are very vital indices in project design. Identifying them would open your empirical minds rather than just your feels or perception about the possible outcome of your project.

• Identifying your risks and assumptions would help you prepare for future threats against the actualization of the project goal.

• Can I formulate my risks and assumption based the unforeseeable challenges that were encountered by previous similar projects?

• I also still find it hard

• I think its really hard to exhaust all the risks and assumption related to the project

• Risk and Assumption consists of impact, outcomes, outputs and inputs , it also talks about project summary, indicators, means of verification.

• The main difference between an assumption and a risk is that when we make an assumption, we expect that assumption will happen. If the assumption doesn't happen then the project is negatively affected. With a risk we anticipate that the risk might happen and thus negatively impact our project.

• Risks are factors out of your control that could affect the project while assumptions are what you believe but are not supported by evidence. One should ask for each level what could go wrong. Its therefore important to plan for risks and assumptions ahead of time which will give you enough time to make decisions.

• so far so good i have gained a lot

• so far so good i have gained a lot

• What effect a project would have if there is no risk and assumption

• How risk and assumption affect a project

• Yes, a survey should be done to see if you can incorporate risk and assumption in the project design

• Riks as war or politic instability can put on impact risk

• Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan while Assumptions are your biases, rather things that you believe without much evidence.

• Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan while Assumptions are your biases, rather things that you believe without much evidence.

• I noticed that some logframe do not include the last column on risks and assumptions. What does that means?

• This topic of risks and assumptions i found it very much interesting since I have grasped how to evaluate the risks that might come on your way during the project implementation and how assumptions can be done.

• Risks are the things that are out side of our control and might disrupt our plan

• Assumptions are the things that we believe without much evidance

• We need to plan a head of time for Risks and Assumptions because we can understand events and conditions that are unforeseeable that might affect the implementation of the project, there we will have enough time to make decisions at the right time

• I have learnt a lot so far. It's been really informative, beneficial and work related.

• Formative research this is attained through identifying risk and assumptions during project design hence helps in attaining the set goal or impacts. Identifying risks and assumptions helps proper planning a gives a clear way of what to face during the project implementation.

• the risks and assumptions are the things or events which might happen out of the plan and may effect in the project and both of them are out of under control therefore the planner MUST take enough time to planning and go through entire potential and assumptions to avoid disrupt the achieved outcome and implact of the project

• bolded text**
  • What I have learnt:

-An M&E Plan is based on the design of your project therefore your project design must be completed before you can prepare your M&E Plan.

-It is necessary to determine the impact of your project before you can settle on the inputs and outputs of the projects, because knowing what you seek to achieve with your project will help to determine the inputs and outputs required for success.

-While outputs can be controlled, outcomes cannot be controlled as they are NOT guaranteed.

-Looking out for Risks and Assumptions can help to escape biases and prepare for unforeseen events.

• In designing project log frame, it is importance to identify the risks and assumptions that my interrupt to achieve the desired results, but the most important is thing is how you came out with the risks and assumptions that you will included in to the project log frame. the risks and assumptions should be evidence based by identifies thought previous project or by asking the beneficiaries of the project.

Dear Collogues at this course, how do you see my comment

• A critical aspect of the project design is the identification of assumptions and risks.

Assumption is more like a statement that you believe to be true. These are anticipated events or circumstances that are expected during the projects cycles. Most assumptions are based on one's experience or information available on hand. Without assuming certain things, planning would be impossible as we never know for certain how the future will look like. Assumptions help one define scope and risks and fine- tune the estimate for cost and time. But what happens when assumptions are wrong? That's where the risks come into play.

A risk is any uncertain event or condition that might affect your project. When planning your project, risks are uncertain ; they have not happened yet. But eventually, some of the risks that you plan do happen and that's when you have to deal with them. Risks come in various degrees. Sometimes risk can mean the project will run slightly differently therefore all project risks should be captured at the start of a project to gain a view of probability and impact.

• ![alt text]([image url](~~

• link url~~))
  • Are they common and expected risk and assumptions, expected for projects that rely on technological solutions?

• Are they common and expected risk and assumptions, expected for projects that rely on technological solutions?

• risk and assumption is to be put into consideration when planning a project . when risk is consider plans to avoid the risk will be put in place .

• risk is what event that might happen during implementation and its out of our plan and control. so the risks effected to achieve the output into outcome. and the assumptions are our biases in the event during setup plan of logframe

• I have realized it's a great idea to identify risks and assumptions and prepare well the mitigation measures, otherwise the project can crash when such isn't considered

• It was such an interesting exercise working through the risk and assumptions we have developed already for Green Business Value Chain. One note was that some of our risk were redundant, simply repeating the same risk using different words or context.

• It is very important to identify risks and assumptions. Risks and assumptions can bring about failure or a negative impact on the project if not well managed. This is why they should be identified in the M&E plan in order to know what to look out for during implementation and what could be possible stumbling blocks.

• It was such an interesting exercise working through the risk and assumptions we have developed already for Green Business Value Chain. One note was that some of our risk were redundant, simply repeating the same risk using different words or context.

• Questions answered:
    • Are enough inputs being provided? – yes
    • How well do your inputs lead to your outputs?- good
    • How well do your outputs lead to outcomes?- well
    • Are any of the risks or assumptions that you identified hurting your project? – yes
    Few potential risks may be

• Funding
    • Government approvals
    • Community outreach problems during pandemics
  • To me risks and assumptions are the spot where the likelihood that a project succeeds can be determined, and identifying them ahead of time or in the course of the project implementation could give us a great head start in terms of listing up a few options that could help redress the balance by mitigating the risks or verifying the relevance of our assumptions through data collection.

• I have learned that risks and assumptions can affect our budget for the project, so how do we minimize chances of encountering risks and assumptions that will need us to dig deep into our pockets.

• Risks and Assumptions are important considerations to checking biases and planning for the unforeseeable.

• I agree with you. You need to integrate these risks and assumptions to be a better planner and a project manager.

• I have learned that risks and assumptions can affect our budget for the project, so how do we minimize chances of encountering risks and assumptions that will need us to dig deep into our pockets.

• Money meant for microloans might be diverted for personal use.
    Girls might be deprived from accessing microloans because of gender biases in the province.
    Money received might be used for other personal fulfillment rather than investing it.
    Business may crash due to theft and vandalism as a result of insecurity in the province.

• Above are some few more risks i have thought of regarding the MEH project.
    Indeed IF assumptions are not made and some associated risks are not identified within a project, THEN, the whole project is at risk of dealing with surprises arising from potential risks thereby making the whole project's plan vulnerable which might ultimately lead to colossal failure because such risks were never assumed and therefore a mitigation strategy was not put in place to counter the effect they may cause.

• Dear Learners

It was a great pleasure to participate in this course. I liked How the instructor made it simple by using everyday examples. do you agree with me?

Have a great learning experience

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.