Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• "Data collection tools" is probably the part of M&E that I am least confident about because I often feel the tools cannot collect the appropriate data as planned. What do you think is the best thing to do after using the tools and finding out they are not as effective in gathering the data we need as planned?

O
    1 Reply
  • Data collection tools are very crucial in projects, hence, they should be carefully selected and designed. For accurate documentation and tracking of the progress of the project.

• Creation of data collection is one of the most vital stages in the creation of of a M and E plan since it helps to record and monitoring of activities done in the project and whether the desired outputs or target audien are being reached

• One of most popular tool is participant

• for sure a data collection tool used will determine the quality of data to be collected. furthermore, testing a form is more important. i would suggest the team collecting data, if possible,to go on the field and do some sampling on the effectiveness of the form.

• Effective data collection tools assures a project's success.

• Creating data collection tools requires careful consideration. They are generally the backbone of a project hence the need to ensure the right information is captured

V
    1 Reply
  • After Reading through this notes, I found it easy to create data collection tools

• It is important to select tools that will suit your organization and that which will achieve the objective.

• I can't wait to garner knowledge in the field of Project Management

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data.

It is important to decide the tools for data collection because research is carried out in different ways and for different purposes. The objective behind data collection is to capture quality evidence that allows analysis to lead to the formulation of convincing and credible answers to the questions that have been posed.

• In creating data collection tools these are to be considered .

• Identify who will use the tools:
      this will help to identify the person who will collect the data, and it depends on the project, it could be a staff member, a volunteer or a partner. while allocating who will collect data, the educational level, experience and how comfortable to use the tools has to be considered.

• Focus on essential Information
      The data has to be focus on essential information to enable complete and uncomplicated data.
      -Collect metadata. this has to do with the information the will be recorded

• Pre-test your tools: this has to do with test the tool before proper usage. eg testing a tool in thesame environment it will be use.
      -Train staff to use tools and include instruction: one dont need to assume that the tools are self explanatory, different people interpret in different ways. the staff or volunteer need to be train how to use the tools and how to communicate or respond to instruction.
      in training on how the tool should be used include
      participant tracking forms, this has to do with keeping records of the participant, and is depends on the project.
      in education, you collect record of student that attends classes, and health record of patient that visit clinic.

• Data Collection Methods and Tools are really great to learn. Cant wait to practice on them.

• Understanding the set indicators is very crucial to choosing the right data collection tools for a specific project.

M
    M
    2 Replies
  • Understanding the set indicators is very crucial to choosing the right data collection tools for a specific project.

• I agree with you.

• Creating assertive, simple and effective data collection tools is important to ensure correct data collection as well as facilitating subsequent analysis. Otherwise, the impact of the project cannot be adequately measured, which will affect not only credibility with partners or investors but also its status.

• I believe that designing DATA COLLECTION TOOLS are as important as being able to identify and select specific indicators that will ensure a correct monitoring and evaluation process.

W
    1 Reply
  • This module helps to identify, define and specify a type of data collection which is one of the most important part of any monitoring and evaluation.

• Not necessarily, because sometimes they take too long and you also have to consider that other similar projects already have information. Sometimes going to the books and what's already out there saves time and resources.

• Effective data collection tools DO NOT ensure the success of a project, but they do guarantee accurate and effective measurement. The success of the project depends on many other factors, not just how you measure its impact and development.

• Yes because it helps the team know where they are going and to have clarify and focuse on what they need to look for (search for as results).

• This module helps to identify, define and specify a type of data collection which is one of the most important part of any monitoring and evaluation.

• Data collection tools has a great impact on M&E.

• data collection is very important for every project. clear data collection tool helps the project to meet its requirement

M
    1 Reply
  • Data collection tools are tools that helps make it easy to collect different data.

• Data collection tools- Are tools used to collect data.
    The process of creating the data collection is a bit expensive and time- consuming therefore, an organization or researcher needs to identify the type of data collected and who is going to use the data to help in selecting a tool that has been tested before and able to assist in the process efficiently.

It is necessary and essential to pre-test your tool and train your staff how to use the tool with instructions.
    The tools identified should be taken back to the community rather target project beneficiaries to hear their feedback and clear out incase of any concerns and clarifications regarding the tool.

• It is a very informative session. The light bulb moment for me has been on grouping indicators so that at least on or two data collection tools can be used for all. For a while, I was a bit overwhelmed on the various methods and tools that would need to be used looking at the variety of indicators under inputs, outputs, outcomes and impacts.

• Creating data collection tool can help project team to monitor the progress of the project and whether project is going to wards the targets or not.
  • WELL UNDERSTOOD

• YES IT IS BECAUSE IT TRY TO KEEP NECCESSARY INFORMATION

• Should we have a limitation to the number of questions on the survey?

T
    1 Reply
  • It is really important to design the data collection tools thoroughly. If the tools are designed perfectly, it will help us a lot in collecting the data we need

• Totally agree with the tips that we have to focus on essential information. Most of the time we want to have all of the information because we think that we might need it in the future. However, it can make our tools very complicated and hard to use

• Creating data collection tools is one of the way to get a comprehensive information because the tool will identify who will use it, focus on the essential information, pre-test and train the staff that will use the tools effectively.

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system

• It is indeed extremely critical for one to create a sound data collection tool relevant to the project in question. The data collection tool so created should be practical both in administering and in monetary terms. The data collection tool created should also provide the project managers with adequate data sufficient enough to making decisions.

• Choosing a data collection tool is indeed important .

• that is indeed true my friend.

• I would only advise the data collection tool to be as brief and in as simple english as possible. I would also add on to adopt more closed ended question approach than open ended.

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data.

Use the completed Data Collection Planning Worksheet to create a list of all data collection instruments that are required. Next determine which investigative questions will be posed to which audiences through the instruments identified. One way to facilitate this is to sort the Worksheet by its “Data Source” column and compare this with the completed Question Matrix to ensure that no items have been overlooked. Create one document for each instrument and audience, and on it list each investigative question and sub-question.

Consider the type of instruments you will need and plan to create all those of a similar type at the same time. For example, create all the questionnaires you will need and then move on to all interview protocols, documentation worksheets, etc. Tackling the tasks in this manner helps you leverage the work from one instrument to the next of its type. Use the Documentation Worksheet, Focus Group Worksheet, Interview Worksheet, and Questionnaire Development Worksheet to guide your work. Questionnaire items you write for CHWs can be edited slightly to become appropriate for CHW Supervisors, for instance, and so grouping the work will help you complete it more quickly.
    3 then
    Identify individuals from each data source group to serve as pilot participants for the data collection instruments you have created. It’s fine to choose those close at hand, but if there are important subgroups, or strata, among the target population it’s a good idea to pilot with each subgroup to ensure the instrument is sensitive to their differences. Once the instruments are ready the team must prepare for their use.

4 Finally

Once the instruments are ready, the data collection team must be prepared for their use. For self-administered questionnaires provide electronic or print copy as needed to those responsible for distribution and collection. For administered instruments like surveys or interview protocols, hold a training session with data collectors to ensure they understand what each question is designed to capture, the importance of following the question language order, and how they should document the responses they receive. One effective training approach this is to have an experienced interviewer conduct a real interview in front of the collector trainees, who will follow and document the responses individually. Then compare the captured data of the experienced interviewer with that of the trainees to ensure greater consistency.

• It is very clear that designing the right data collection tools plays a crucial role in the outcome of the M&E Exercise. It is therefore important to note that only the essential parts of a data collection tool are to be captured to prevent a long and time consuming tool

• It is very clear that designing the right data collection tools plays a crucial role in the outcome of the M&E Exercise. It is therefore important to note that only the essential parts of a data collection tool are to be captured to prevent a long and time consuming tool

• I agree, it is a crucial part of the M&E process

• I believe strongly that once indicators are clearly defined, the M&E expert can design an adequately appropriate tool(s) for data collection.

• Have a clear picture of your indicators and the target audience. Design the tool with the modalities you feel best elicits required data. Contact other colleagues or experts for peer review. These persons can help add, remove or adjust the tool items/questions. This is what it means to test the tool and feedbacks will help you make the necessary adjustments. Note, no one is an island of knowledge.

• When you are lost of ideas, feel free to ask people in the same section, research past project documents. Always review your tool to serve as a reliable and valid instrument/means of data collection, since such information is required for management decisions making.

• Before creating a data collection tool, its important to consider the user of the tool; in terms of his/her level of education and experience using such a tool

O
    1 Reply
  • There are different tools used in data collection in M&E
    They include;
    Interviews; this is one of the most common tool used. it can be formal or informal. can be done over the phone, skype call, whatsapp call etc.
    they are a lot more tools in data collection including;
    Observation
    Survey and questionnaires
    Direct measurement
    Focus groups and discussions
    Photography and video
    Case studies and stories of change
    Secondary data sources

each data collection is unique with its own methods. some tools collect quantitative data while some collect qualitative data. Some are more accurate than the other.
    in summary, there are advantages and disadvantages of each data collection tool.

• Interesting topic, I definitely learnt a lot from this module.

• The success of an M&E plan relies a lot on the data collection tools that one chooses; it is imperative that a decent amount of time and resources is dedicated to this very important part of the process.

• Regarding the survey and interview method how can I guarantee that the information or data collected is real?

How can I mitigate the risk of participants providing untrue information?

• Regarding the survey and interview method how can I guarantee that the information or data collected is real?

A
    1 Reply

• Basic tools for data collecetion. These include interviews, focus group discussions, observation, photography, video, surveys, questionnaires and case studies. and Many different methodologies can be used for data collection and analysis.

• I think that this is a critical aspect of the M&E plan. Just going over my draft M&E plan, I have observed that there are a few fields/ indicator data fields that are not necessary. Not that they are not useful but more like excess info that may not be practical to collect or that will add more value. I also see the usefulness of defining some of the fields/sections such as the regions and adding instructions for clarity as people may have different interpretations.

• When you are lost of ideas, feel free to ask people in the same section, research past project documents. Always review your tool to serve as a reliable and valid instrument/means of data collection, since such information is required for management decisions making.

• In creating data collection tools, it is necessary to give critical attention to select and design your data collection tool. This will help necessary data to be collected and progress can be well monitored and success effectively evaluated

• Lets discuss how we can create data collection tools

• Yes yes, and understanding the type of data that you want to collect

• Le formulaire de suivi des participants, vu les informations qu'il collecte, est selon moi l'un des premiers outils à concevoir par un responsable de S&E, qui recherche des informations sur l'état d'avancement de son projet.

• Data collection tools are the items we use to obtain information from different sources. Data collection tools are very key in monitoring and evaluation as the quality and depth of the data collected depends on how well the tools are designed.
    Data collection tools come in many forms ranging from questionnaires, interview guides, focus group guide, document review chelist, among others. How well you you design these tools depends on the type of data to be collected, the frequency of data collection, the cost of data collection, the expertise of the data collector and the study design itself.
    Designing data tools can be an individual or collective effort and can be done using experts or project M&E staff.
    The process of creating data collection tools for monitoring and evaluation is rigorous process that involves a deeper understanding of the indicators at large, consultations with key stakeholders, as well as testing the tools once complete.
    One major and important aspect of designing data collection tools is to pretest as this process allows the designers to check content flow, misinterpreted content, questions that are biased or insensitive, irrelevant content, the accuracy of the data to be collected and the time to be spend on data collection.
    It is therefore very important to ensure that data collection tools are well and adequately designed so as to collect valid and reliable data

• A data collection tool should be simple with emphasis on the essential date to be collected. The date collection tool has segments namely the meta data( details who collected the data, Version of the tool, when and where the date was collected), the Participant tracking form and user instructions on how the tool should be used, when and by whom. For effective participant tracking tool it will go through a process of understanding the indicator, segmenting the indicators, deciding how to feel the form, creating the form, testing and reviewing the same for purposes of effectiveness.

• the process of identifying indicators forms the basis of establishing what parameters to record and the method of data collection method to be used.

• to create a data collection tool depends on three ways of collecting data, which are the three was that will enter into the data management process , which are
    1.participant tracking forms

1. participant survey
    2. review of local goverment records
  • what is the best method for creating data collection tools?

• Once all steps of collecting data tools are followed, the last part is very important because it allow the M&E practitioners to see errors and correct them before reaching out to the participants with data collection tools.

A group of indicators should be measured with the same tool if they share the same data collection method, source and collection schedule.
    By choosing the right collection tools it is vital to answer what, who, how often, by whom and the practicability of the method.

• It is very crucial to test your form before using it as it allows you to notice any challenges that will likely be faced and the possible changes that need to be made.
    To avoid bias, it is wise to test your form with people who did not design the form.

• It is very crucial to test your form before using it as it allows you to notice any challenges that will likely be faced and the possible changes that need to be made.
    To avoid bias, it is wise to test your form with people who did not design the form.

• i think it depends on the type of of a survey it is, if it is qualitative the forcus is on getting an in depth understanding theefore it is wise to have only a few questions lined up. Quantitative surveys may have as many questions as possible because we will be looking at numbers.

• it is important that data collection tools are simple and easy to use

• I agree with this totally

• creating a data collection tools requires to use metadata process

1. the little of the tool
    2. the versions of the tool
    3. who used the tool
    4. where they are used the tool
    5. and when they are used

for my own tools for the organization

• list item
      survey
      interviewing
      group discussion
  • Data collection tools are critical to measure indicator with reliable data . designing quality tool that allows to meaure indicator is very important. the tool is also go inline with the nature of indicator which means for qualitative indicators we design and collect qualitative data where as we develop quantitative collection tool for indicators stated in numeric form.

• so far so good, so is MEH using survey??

• by the time you do Data collection, the project is already at monitoring stage

• Before you design your tool, consider these questions:
    • What education does the user have?
    • What experience has the user had in using data collection tools?
    • How comfortable are they using this type of tool?
    Data collection tools should have a space to record the following types of metadata:
    • The title of the tool
    • The version of the tool
    • Who used the tool
    • Where they used the tool
    • When they used the tool

• In creating a participant's tracking form, there is the need to consider the essentials of what should be tracked

• Questionnaires are the most used data collection tool

• But really time consuming to design a comprehensive data collection tool that captures all the data needed, hence focusing on the most important parts

• They help organizations collect data.
    It is important to create appropriate data collection tools based on the indicators and other factors such as who uses the tool and the essential information needed.
    It is also important to test the tool and do necessary revision before being used to collect actual data.

• One should understand their indicators, decide the information to be collected and how and who will collect to choose the appropriate data collection tool.

• Bonjour, le cour est bien assimilé mais j'aimerai avoir plus d'exemple de tableaux comme support sur les outilles de collecte de données.

• Creating data collection tool is an essential step that comes after We have identified the method we are to use to collect data on the indicators we have chosen to use.
    In order to create a data collection tool, we need to be mindful and to identify who exactly will use the tool, whether the are educated or not, whether they have experience or not and whether they need training.
    We also need to focus on having essential information on the collection tool, the information that we think ish important for measuring the indicators. Further we need to include metadata that may be important reminder as to how our data was collected. We then need to pretest our tool ththereafter and finally train our team or staff on how to use the data collection tool. These kind of tips are essential to create useful tools for use in data collection.

• Yup these tips are important in creating data collection tools

• Yes, all these tips as mentioned previously are important in creating data collection tools

• After creating a data collection tool, even after the team has been trained on how to use it, it is also important that instructions on the purpose of the tool accompany it and steps on how to use it well written in clear language

• Where digitally based tools are used, it will guarantee that data is entered as it is and uploaded to the cloud. That's if there's connection to the internet as well. And it can be configured in such a way that no question is skipped. This is. possible unlike in paper-
    based questionnaires which are bound to manipulation just in case your staff are suspect.

R
    1 Reply
    • The various steps or strategies used for gathering and analyzing data
  • name of the participant
    Division
    Level of education
    Who is the head of household
    who do you live with
    have you eve heard about GBV?
    Have you received any training or sensitization about GBV?
    Where/ from who did you hear it from?
    what did they tell you?
    share will me you experience about what you learnt?
    Was the training helpful?
    Share with me how helpful it was?
    would you recommend anyone for GBV services?
    what is your recommendation?

what did they tell you

• Data collection tools are essential to collecting data for a project. These must be carefully created and designed, and only essential information needed to measure an indicator should be included. Also, any ambiguity should be avoided, so that respondents/participants would not be guessing the answers.

• Through this session I have understood that there are many different methodologies can be used for data collection and tools. They are such as Most are survey and interview forms, participant tracking forms. what about when using photography and videos?

• To create your data collection tools, it is important to understand the kind of data your indicators would generate.

• Yes, I agree with you.

• It's very important to create data collection tools that are appropriate,.tools that are less complex and those that require only necessary information so that it becomes easier to measure indicators.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.