Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Features

Collect data offline without being connected to the Internet and online using Web Forms using the same survey!
    Design your mobile and web form with our simple drag and drop editor.
    No programmer required! 
    Capture data on your smartphones, iPads and Tablets and any modern web browser.
    Easily manage one or hundreds of devices and field workers. 
    Receive email notifications when something needs your immediate attention.
    Conduct mobile surveys in 17 languages.
    Upload survey results to the Cloud or directly to your own server.
    Benefit from higher response rates and faster results.
  • Your Professional Market Research App for Data Collection

Harvest Your Data iSURVEY & droidSURVEY apps and Web Forms make it easy to collect mobile survey data both online and offline

You don’t need an Internet connection while conducting surveys in the field or completing mobile forms. The data you collect while offline will be stored on your device and can be uploaded when an Internet connection becomes available. If your Internet connection disconnects half way through the upload process, the offline survey app mode safely stores the remaining results on your device until the next upload.

If your respondents always have an internet connection you can use Web Forms on any device without even installing an app.

Discover the flexibility of setting up a single questionnaire or mobile form that runs on both Apple and Android devices and a web browser. Use the iSURVEY app on Apple iPhones, iPods and iPads and the droidSURVEY app on your Android smartphone and tablet devices and Web Forms for online data collection.

There are no on-going monthly subscription fees and each survey or form can be run on an unlimited number of devices.

• The apps have a beautiful interface that is optimized for data collection on smartphone, iPad and tablet devices. The Android tablet, iPad survey app and the Web Forms can display multiple questions on a single screen with HD graphics. Your respondents will love it because it's an interesting way to complete mobile surveys and forms.

Try Harvest Your Data for FREE and see for yourself how easy it is to conduct mobile market research surveys with one or multiple devices and in a web browser.

• Tracking sheet could only be useful to collect uncomplicated data.

• Data collection tools are of great importance as it through them that the data to be used in Monitoring and Evaluation are collected.

E
    1 Reply
  • Hi, I think it should be done when designing the project. It might not be possible to do it after because what data and information will you be monitoring if you have not collected any data?

• Many different methodologies can be used for data collection and analysis. Most are based around a core set of basic tools. These include interviews, focus group discussions, observation, photography, video, surveys, questionnaires and case studies.
    When looking into data gathering tools for research, it is essential to acknowledge that projects differ in their design and purpose.
    What is involved in collecting data – six steps to success
    Step 1: Identify issues and/or opportunities for collecting data.
    Step 2: Select issue(s) and/or opportunity(ies) and set goals.
    Step 3: Plan an approach and methods.
    Step 4: Collect data.
    Step 5: Analyze and interpret data.
    Step 6: Act on results.

• This information is very helpful. How does it change when using a data collection app in the field. How should the determination be made whether it is practical to self-administer the survey when personal information is involved, but literacy may be a problem.

• Creating data collection tools is an important part of making sure we have accurate data to make informed decisions. The tool should be simple to understand, precise, and organized.

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data.
    Below are the steps to create a new entry using the Data Entry Form in Excel:
    Select any cell in the Excel Table.
    Click on the Form icon in the Quick Access Toolbar.
    Enter the data in the form fields.
    Hit the Enter key (or click the New button) to enter the record in the table and get a blank form for next record.
    A large portion of data entry work involves typing. This means that being able to type quickly and accurately is essential. The best way to improve your speed is simply to practice typing. Try spending some each day transcribing some written information onto the computer.

• Data collection tool helps us to collect information that will help us track project activities progress, identify problems and help make informed decisions. It also helps us to collect different types of data that can be used to back us in our argument or develop theories.
    To summarize, data collection tool is very key in monitoring and evaluation of any project or research work for decision making.

• strikethrough text
    Data tools are used to collect information on indicators, quantitative and qualitative indicators.

• What is a Data Collection Tool?
    Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data.

It is important to decide the tools for data collection because research is carried out in different ways and for different purposes. The objective behind data collection is to capture quality evidence that allows analysis to lead to the formulation of convincing and credible answers to the questions that have been posed.

• It is very useful to test your participant tracking form in order to make it more practical by removing possibles errors and add some missing relevant information

• Data collection tools should consider to contain basic information needed like name, address, age, and contact number.

• Data tools are used to collect information on indicators, quantitative and qualitative indicators.

• What is a Data Collection Tool? Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data.
    Importance of Collecting “Good”/Valid Data
    • Precision of data is important to maintain the integrity of your research
    • Written record (i.e. paper surveys) and electronic records should be properly maintained in the event that aspects of your research protocol need to be modified.
    Improper Data Collection tool Leads to…
    • Inability to answer research questions accurately
    • Inability to repeat and validate the study
    • Distorted findings resulting in wasted resources
    • Misleading other researchers to pursue fruitless avenues of
    investigation
    • Compromising decisions for public policy
    • Causing harm to human participants and animal subjects

always
    ensure Consistency and Reliability of the data collection tool

1. identify who will use this tool
    2. focus on essential information
    3. collect meta data i.e. the title of the tool, the version of the tool, who, where, and when the data was collected.
    4. pretest your tool
    5. train your staff on using your tool
  • Creating Data Collections Tools also need proper planning and researching on the data tools to be used .

• this is a good topic for learners like me on development of data collection methods and tools

• There are different types of data collection tools:
    Surveys,Interviews,Observation,Laboratory Experiments, Focus groups,Document review etc.

Consider the nature of your indicators when whether quantitative and qualitative.
    Participant Tracking Form is very essential especially in surveys that involve human beings.

• WHICH DATA COLLECTION TOOLS USED TO GET A 99% CONFIDENCE RESULTS?

• Data collection is a critical points in projects. With smart phones available recording interviews and pictorial data collection just got better. Data collection instruments should be robust to minimize bias. Data verification is very important.

• It is of utmost importance to create a data collection tool for the project. We should put into consideration the person who will use the tool , and also what information the tools will collect .
    To save time it would be best to look at other existing project and look at what tools they are making use of.

• This Toolkit provides information, resources and templates for you to consider, use and adapt when
    planning for and collecting monitoring and evaluation information or ‘data’. Data is information,
    including stories, facts and statistics, that can be used for research, monitoring or evaluation
    purposes. We will refer to ‘data’ a lot in this toolkit so it is important to understand this word.
    You are not expected to use all the information, resources or tools in this toolkit, but we hope it
    supports understanding of different monitoring and evaluation options, and how you might use
    different monitoring and evaluation tools to support your work, learn about project successes and
    challenges and meet reporting requirements.

• While creating a data collection tool, it's important to identify a few things.
    For example who will use the tool, what are the essential data that will help measure your indicators, and what are the metadata you would like to add

• Data collection tools is created using multiple steps such as determining what information you want to collect.
    Set a timeframe for data collection method.
    Determine your data collection method
    Collect the data and finally analyse your data and implement your findings

• Scholarship form
    Participant name: John mercy
    Hometown: Lagos State
    Sex: f
    Date: 10/02/2021
    Name of school: precious nursery and primary school
    Class: primary 6
    Received scholarship? Yes

For volunteers only
    Name of volunteer: Susan
    Date:20/02/2020.
    ID number:

• Now I know how important is to create useful tools to recollect data. If you want to know how successful your project was you need to evaluate your recollected data.

• Data collection tools are form,documents or guides that help individuals organisations collect data. To create a data collection tools;

1. Identify who will use the tool or collect the data. It can be a staff member, a volunteer or partner. Though questions like the user education level and experience is vital.
    2. Focus on essential information. Keep your tool simple by collecting the data you need to measure your indicators.
    3. Collect metadata:information about how your data was collected, by who,where and when.
    4. Pre test your tool: before sending out the tools its important to test it if its usabl. This can be done preferably in the same environment where the tools will be use.
    5. Train staff to use the tool and include instructions: this is important in order to have a consistent and accurate data.
  • Data collection saves the researcher time and funds that would otherwise be misspent without a deeper understanding of the topic or subject matter.Data collecting tools are used to minimize the risk of errors in decision making. It is important that accurate data is collected so that the researcher doesn't make uninformed decisions.

• You don't need to re-create the tool, as commercially available tools like CommCare have proven to be very effective and low cost for use in a project. This will save so much time and effort.

• It was interesting learning about different kinds of data collection tools through this module. While it was helpful to see the participant tracking tool, I would also have liked to see some examples of different tools (surveys, interview protocols, etc.).

• A good data collection tools helps us to measure how effective our project was, to correct errors and include tactics that help the project.

• participants tracking form helps a lot in collecting key information about your clients or beneficiaries, such as age, contact numbers, marital status, educational status, number of children, ethnicity, permanent address. This can be done within a shorter time frame.

• meta data is just to make the form more comprehensive. it will also help you to the person who did the work, whether it was done correctly be him/her, the time and date, location and even the immediate supervisor who approves the work.

• sure. it also lays the platform for good decision making process

• there are also other tools like cobo collect, survey monkey which are also useful in collecting data accurately

• these are the tools used to capture the intended data for the project such as human participation

• M&E is basically set of tools that gives accurate information about the projects. in other word it is the most important phase in the M&E plan. to come up with a practical tool you must identify the users of the too to make sure that they got the tool and how to use it. secondly when you design a tool try to focus on the important information and never forget the metadata. it is important to test the tool before using it to make sure that every one understand it.

• One of the most M&E implementation are creating data collection tools for the sake program quality
    Hence Data Collection Tools are:-

1. Questionnaire- is for the individual participants to get what we have planned to do achieve the information
    2. FGD(Focus Discussion Group- Which is conducting who participants are 8-12 different components of community groups(Youth, Women, Elders)
    3. Observation- Careful consideration and data collection tool
    4. Survey- conducting at HH level and organization level, to get program progress/status
    5. Laboratory- More scientific and have quality to gather information during data collection tool
  • What are examples of other data collection tools for each data collection method discussed in this module?

• Creating a data collection tools is important to the successful implementation of every project. A data collection tool helps the m&e staff gather and measure information on interesting indicators in the project. It does that in an organized or systematic fashion that allows the stakeholders to determine if progress is indeed gearing towards project outcome.

• It is imperative to get your data collection methods Nd tools right because they will influence the overall M&E

• The participants tracking form seems not to be suitable for projects with a large target audience

• Having identified your indicators and the methods that you will use to collect data, ideally developing the right tools for data collection is necessary for the project's success. Implementing a program without data collection tools is like going fishing without a fishing tackle. Data collection tools help program staff to obtain the information necessary for measuring progress or performance productivity towards the overall goal of the program.

• I have gain knowledge about creating data collection tools which will help me to improve my effectiveness in M&E tasks that involve establishment of data collection instrument. The tips of creating data collection tools and designing a participant tracking form are of great help too.

• My organization is yet to develop a data collections tool. I am hoping that with my beginning to develop the participant tracking form and with the identified indicators, we are able to do so. I think it is really helpful to group the indicators because it allows you to understand how many tools you need to develop, if you need to revisit or change any tools etc.

U
    1 Reply
  • I really need a feedback on my assignment for this topic.

• Today, I learnt about how to create a tool for my Indicator in the Logframe. One output indicator that I am interested in tracking is:

"The number of impenitents who received therapeutic treatment from SPAI"

Like you, I was able to follow the six-step-guide to create a Participant Tracking Form for SPAI.

Hope the rest of the team were able to do theirs likewise?

K
    1 Reply
  • Data collection tools helps by giving meaning and a pointer to indicator verbosity of a project. Without the tool, the indicator(s) will only appear as mere statement without fact. Adopting the six-step-guide to creating a participant tracking form, makes it further rewarding for a project.

• I strongly agree to the effect that data collection tools not only give meaning to your indicators, but also serve as a spring board to real life application.

• Data collection tools are develop and use to collect data.

• In creating data collection tools, you make sure that the tools meet data quality standards. They are also tested in the field to order to improve them.

• jhjcgc udv iodvh vdiuvuifvhfiuhv viuf vf uhhfif

• jh h fhv f vvvhjj jcjucdb msknkcn

• How can i create data tool

• Do anybody worked using the Tracking Form for recording data to give me how your work to and what good things happens?

• I've always used data collection tools in my previous job, without really comprehending fully the importance of creating and using such tools for record keeping and tracking purposes. I have no doubt in my mind that had I learned the course earlier I would've performed my duties much more effectively and effiviently. Throughout the years that I worked in a busy research environment, I kept on losing information as a result of notkeeping primary data collection tools such participant lists safely.

• The participant Tracking form is very important sheet to keep track of all information pertaining to participants in the program. It can be updated on a quarterly basis and help the program management in monitoring and tracking any changes that are required before the program end date.

• Data collection tools

Interviews
    Questionnaires and surveys
    Observations
    Documents and records
    Focus groups

• Data collection is the important of every projects.

• The wide variety of data collection tools give the ability to answer important questions, make predictions, decisions, analysis to gain the maximum of the research.

• Accurate data collection (as a process of gathering and measuring information) brings so many benefits . It gives the ability to answer important questions, make predictions, decisions, analysis.

• Data collection tools are; survey questionnaire, forms or computer-assisted interviewing system (e.g., tablets, mobile phones, or
    computers).

• Data collection tools are, survey questionnaire, or computer-assisted interviewing system (e.g., tablets, mobile phones, or
    computers).

• They are what we use to get data: Form

• Title

• Dates

• Name & Surname

• Ages

• Homes/ Villages

• Amount "Y" OR "N"

*Notes

*Contacts

*Signature

• I´m able to create a database

• It is of utmost importance to create a data collection tool for the project. We should put into consideration the person who will use the tool , and also what information the tools will collect .
    To save time it would be best to look at other existing project and look at what tools they are making use of

A
    1 Reply
  • Data collection tools are, survey questionnaire, or computer-assisted interviewing system (e.g., tablets, mobile phones, or
    computers).

• The type of the tool we shall use in the data collection process depends on the the type of data we want to collect. That is if the data is qualitative or quantative type of data. We as well consider the sample size of the data we want to collect. For instance if we want to collect data of many individuals we may consider of sending survey and not interviews or focused group discussions.

• The importance of Data collection tools such as Participant Tracking Form in project Monitoring and Evaluation cannot be overemphasized!

• How effective was the form? was it very helpful in Monitoring your project?

• This is nice module for me, I have learnt a lot regarding data collection methods.

• Data collections tools need to reflect on the type of data to be collected

• What is Data Collection?
    Data collection is a methodical process of gathering and analyzing specific information to proffer solutions to relevant questions and evaluate the results. It focuses on finding out all there is to a particular subject matter. Data is collected to be further subjected to hypothesis testing which seeks to explain a phenomenon.

Hypothesis testing eliminates assumptions while making a proposition from the basis of reason.

• The data collection steps are really helpful and elaborate.

• yes this is almost the easiest part of the course because we are daily use these tools for collecting data i even start to automate and customized our own tools

• this is fully satisfying
    and the way i think and apply for automating data management process is most helpful

• i have learnt about the steps to follow when creating data collection tools

• data collection tools are one of the basic essentials of any projects that needs to be understood thoroughly to know how to measure the progress of the project

• Data collection tools are critical to monitoring and evaluation because it provides the basis for the information needed for both decision-making during the project and assurance to donors on the effectiveness of the project. Like it is commonly said, "garbage in, garbage out", the quality of data obtained is vital to the information to be derived from its usage. To obtain quality data, we need to use the right techniques and tools suitable for the type of data required.
    Very often, we use forms for data collection. Hence, form design is important to ensure that relevant data can be captured in unambiguous terms. Therefore, it is vital to test the forms before they are deployed to the field for data collection.
    It should be noted that data collection is to enable us measure our indicators and in their disaggregated nature. Therefore, the form for data collection should be complete to capture all the elements by which each indicator can be measured completely. Also, the metadata should be captured on the form usually as part of the headings.

• Data collection is the basic framework or foundation on which the entire project is built. if the data is collected wrongly, the the entire project will not be able to achieve their set goals. this is a very important aspect in project management as a whole .

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data.

• Just entered module 4 today. looking forward to enjoy it. I'll be reaching out to you, i mean you, yes you if there are areas i don't fully understand. looking forward to connect with you.

• data collection tool referred to as devices or instruments used to collect data. it is covered by different types of data collection instruments this includes interviews, surveys, focus groups, observation, documentary reviews etc....

• As we have seen, there are many ways to collect data. For each of your indicators, you need to choose an appropriate data collection method. So, how do you decide which methods to use? Well, there are a few questions to consider when you are choosing a data collection method:
    • What?
    • Who?
    • How often?
    • By whom?
    • Can we do it?
    WHAT?
    What kind of data will you need to collect to measure your indicator? Detailed qualitative data will be collected very differently than quantitative data. For example, surveys, laboratory measurements, and document reviews work well for collecting large amounts of quantitative data, while interviews and focus groups are often the best choices for collecting detailed qualitative data.

It is also worth considering whether the data you are collecting is personal or sensitive. A group setting, such as a focus group, might be too public if you are interested in collecting personally sensitive information.
    WHO?
    Who are the people who can provide the data for your indicator? To accurately measure your indicator, do you need to collect data from a large group of people spread across lots of different locations? Or, can you collect enough data by reaching a few key people?

What is the best method for reaching these people? Will they be able to fill out complex, written tools? Or would they prefer in-person conversation?

Additionally, consider the amount of work that you are asking your participants to do. For example, would it be reasonable to ask your participants to spend two hours in an interview?
    HOW OFTEN?
    How often do you need to collect these data? Some methods, such as very large surveys, require a lot of time to do well. These methods might be worth using once a year, or only when reports are about to be written. Other methods, such as observations, are inexpensive and quick to deploy. These can be used daily or weekly.

A simple rule is that the lower an indicator is on your logframe, the more often it should be measured. Output indicators should be measured often: daily or weekly, for example. Outcome indicators do not need to be measured as often. These might be measured quarterly or annually. In fact, since outcomes often take a long time to appear, it might be necessary to measure your outcomes several months or years after the activities are over. Note that this is general guidance, not a rule that will apply to all situations.

Additionally, when you are deciding how often to collect data for an indicator, you will want to consider the schedule of your team as well as other events like school schedules, agricultural seasons and holidays.
    BY WHOM?
    Who will be collecting the data? Do you have access to skilled observers, interviewers or moderators? What is the educational level of those who will be collecting the data? Do they speak the same languages as the people that they will be communicating with, or will you need to translate tools and guides into different languages? Do they understand how to use any required technology?

Additionally, who will analyze the data? Some data collection methods like surveys and focus groups generate huge amounts of data. If your project does not have the expertise to analyze this data, the data may be wasted.
    CAN WE DO IT?
    Do you have enough time, money, and expertise? Some data collection methods are fairly cheap and simple, while other methods are expensive and complex. For example, while laboratory measurement creates fantastic, reliable data, very few teams have the expertise, time, or money to collect data this way.

• Data collection tools. very important in M&E. First get indicators that can be measured; choose the method for data collection and then the most suitable tool considering the many factors that defines it.
    learnt a lot about metadata and its importance and also the Participant Tracking Form (PTF). It's really beautiful. Beginning to make a lot of sense now.

• This module has been very insightful. It further exposes me to the process of monitoring through the use of the participant tracking form. There wouldn't be any data to analyse if such a tool is not designed for data collection on a regular basis. In our reading club for children (ages 5 to 12), we only use an attendance sheet during our weekly activities, but having undergone this module, going forward, we shall create our participants tracking form where we shall begin to collect data according to information from our input and output indicators, such as name of child, age of child, storybook or information material read, storybooks taken home by the children, school of child, new words learnt, amongst others.
    I have also learnt to code the information on the tool, to do a pre-test of the tool, have a metadata, revise the tool by modifying with the information obtained via the pre-test tool and have a separate sheet for instructions which will also serve as a guideline for the field officers or volunteers or the staff that shall administer the tool.

• creating one data tool to collect all or most indicator data is the most efficient way to implement this stage of M&E. the participant tracking form is a life saver, so simple yet very versatile and effective in its purpose.

• It is very essential to create data collection tools that are will help in getting the information that you need to answer your indicators.There are things that one need to consider when creating data collecting tools,these may include:

• Identify who will use the tool: this is a very important aspect to consider when creating data collection tools as some tools are complicated hence need M&E staff with higher education and experience to use them.

• focus on the on essential information:Be focused on the type of data you need to measure your indicators such as gender,location and education.

• Collect metadata:It is important to collect metadata,this is the type of data that explain on how your data was collected.This data will help M&E staff to track information collected back to the source.

• Pre test your tool: always make sure to test your data collection tool within a similar environment that will be used in order to observe if the tool is serving the intended use and also identify misinterpretations or errors that might need to be corrected prio to the actual excises.
      staff training and instruction on how to use the data collection tool.everyone who is to use the tool need to undergo proper train in order to understand how to use the tool in order to get consistent and accurate results.Furthermore it is important to come up with an instruction sheet that states the purpose of the tool and the step by step guide lines on how to effectively use it.The instruction need to be clear and well understood.

• This very great, the way these steps are explain throughout this part, it is clear

• Data collection is the process of gathering and measuring information on targeted variables in an established system, which then enables one to answer relevant questions and evaluate outcomes.

• This module has been very insightful. It further exposes me to the process of monitoring through the use of the participant tracking form. There wouldn't be any data to analyse if such a tool is not designed for data collection on a regular basis. In our reading club for children (ages 5 to 12), we only use an attendance sheet during our weekly activities, but having undergone this module, going forward, we shall create our participants tracking form where we shall begin to collect data according to information from our input and output indicators, such as name of child, age of child, storybook or information material read, storybooks taken home by the children, school of child, new words learnt, amongst others.

I have also learnt to code the information on the tool, to do a pre-test of the tool, have a metadata, revise the tool by modifying with the information obtained via the pre-test tool and have a separate sheet for instructions which will also serve as a guideline for the field officers or volunteers or the staff that shall administer the tool.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.