Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• @Osgrof said in Module 5 Discussion: Identifying Interim Outcomes:

Very important to measure the interim outcomes as that will help you to understand if your project has taken the right direction to accomplish the overall goal. it is the measuring of interim outcomes that can help an advocate to know if you are targeting the specific audience and how the tactics used are really in line with the planned ultimate goal. Measuring interim outcome will help advocate to learn and re strategise if it seem that the project is not targeting the real audience . There is need to change tactics and strategies

M
    2 Replies
  • Exactly, strategies and tactics are the building blocks of advocacy so to accomplish the proposed change there must be amended now and again until the goal is achieved.

• Exactly, strategies and tactics are the building blocks of advocacy so to accomplish the proposed change there must be ammended now and again until the goal is achieved.

• Ya agreed to the interpretation

S
    1 Reply
  • Ya this is very true

• Outcomes should be more effective than what was expected

• The interim outcome is significant

• Can we say interim outcomes is an indicator that show the progress of an advocates.

• Strengthening advocacy, I think in a broader contexts we need to enunciate the theory of change as nature of our advocacy strategy; advocacy is a audience-focused, therefore, capturing the collaborative nature of advocacy efforts and how efforts complement or misalign is important.

• Because of the long-shot nature of advocacy work, interim outcomes fill the gaps of knowing whether any progress is being made. Without this, advocates may be on a wild goose chase that bears no results and addresses nothing in particular.

• I really like the fact that this modules opened me up to practical tools in evaluating outcome and monitoring outputs as well. The champion Tracking measure fits into a semi-open context. More so this will track direct cause of outcome and output.
    This will also manage issues of Mission statement which comprises of what to do, how to do and for whom to do.

• Yes it is. You must identify the interim outcomes.

• I'm total agreement.

• Interim outcomes is always necessary.

• Very true. Because of how complex advocacy can be, most people track outputs and not outcomes. interim outcomes helps to celebrate small wins which over time culminates to a big win.

• I consider it is necessary

• Yes, as it allow better apprication of the efforts and there ability to meet their target

• It's a positive exercise. Keeps the motion alive. Helps in tracking direction as well.

• I don't think so. It is depend on what is the situation is going on!

• interim outcomes are very important in advocacy but only if they help you specify who you want to change and how he/she will change, when it directly connect with your tactics, time frame and the expected outcome and it should also signal your political gain towards achieving the outcome of advocacy. Its important for advocates to develop tools that collect relevant data. Its also helpful to understand the audiences and the levels of change advocates are monitoirng. That is; audiences including the Public, Influencers and decision makers require different tactics from the awareness, will and action levels.

• I find that knowing your strategy and tactics is important to achieve your desired outcomes but knowing how to measure your progress towards your expected outcomes to check whether or not you are achieving it is very important. So keep an eye on the M&E strategies you use and use it to learn and change course if you find yourself going astray.

• identifying interim outcomes will help you, mitigate setbacks on scheduling and meeting target as at due

• Identifying interim outcomes is quite crucial to the success of our advocacy evaluation. Not to be confused with outputs, our outcomes show the changes that our work inspire in others. Thus, it is very important that it is rightly identified and worked on.

Abayomi Oyelami
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative
    Lagos
    Nigeria

• Yes, Always necessary because it keep you in focus and allow you to know your progress. As we have learnt, it the only tools that can truly measure your progress and shows whether you are doing fine or not.

• Yes, I agree. Most especially when you are playing a long game. It very easy to loose the track of your progress, when the time frame is wider and if care is not taken, focus is lost and one eventually end up not archiving the set goals. However, when you can periodically measure your progress through interim outcomes, it can be a sit belt inside your advocacy car for the long journey. Therefore helping you not only to track down your time and progress but also to keep you on track and focus.

• The important of identifying intrime outcomes cannot be over emphasized because it's important goes beyond knowing your progress or telling you whether you are archiving your goals but Become an anchor that hold you on track and keep your focus on your goals. It tells you whether you are doing well or not, if not, you can re- strategies and change your tactics, learning from your experience in your previous outcomes.

• Yes, identifying interim objectives is important

• For a good interim, one needs to be specific about who will change , the kind of audiences and how they will change. Also directly and logically linked to your tactics and time frame. It has to signal that you are getting or laying a strong foundation.

• I agree. identifying interim outcomes will allow your organization to work towards the larger goal step by step.

• It is always necessary as this will help evaluate your strategies and tactics and the need for changing advocacy approaches.

M
    1 Reply
  • it is crucial

• Very true,in other words interim outcomes helps to keep the advocacy strategy on track,. i.e.,It tells you if the tactics and tools you are using is aligned to the issue/problem you are trying to address.

• Very crucial,flexibility is very important for having a successful advocacy evaluation

• Yes this is necxessary!

• Yes it's very necessary

• Yes I think is always important to identify interim outcomes because they can show us that we are on the right way

• Yes, identifying Interim outcomes are one of the most realistic ways to measure advocacy and policy change.

• Agreed that interim outcomes are important in Advocacy considering the nature of the work. Advocacy takes time and in order to measure if the tactics selected are aligned and if we are on the right track to achieve the end results it is important to set interim outcomes & measure them.

• At the beginning, i was struggling with quantifying outcomes but at the end, the training has given me alot of insights on how to track interim outcomes

• Ah the famous Alice in Wonderland "any road will do if you not where you are going". Big, bold, lasting change (hopefully the goal of our advocacy - takes time, energy, resources and usually involved breaking the barriers of intertia and taking the status quo route. Interim outcomes are like waypoints on the longer journey. They let us set, measure and adapt based on smaller bites to improve our effectiveness. Advocacy is principle-based for big change -- but the change process happens over time in smaller steps with no magic recipe. Like waypoints in our GPS or on a map setting interim outcomes helps us see more clearly our pathways forward, to choose our approaches and know where we are along the journey of change. Without them we are simply in motion, BUSY - but going where????

• Collecting data is fundamental tool along with the strategic planning, to know your positioning in your advocacy journey, mining for data and work accordingly will facilitate the implementation of your work to reach the essential target. collecting data help you prepare yourself to cross safely all the work phases and come out with satisfying results. I think this module, highlights the importance of monitoring and assessment of the plan operation to make sure there is no deviation in the content, prevent oppositions consequences to stay on the right track.
    Defining our audience and evaluating their will and persistance to persuade the change, is a pivotal and essential catalyzer in the advocacy trail toward the ultimate change.

• Interim outcome is not an effective measuring platform for a successful advocacy fundamentals and operations. Having supporters on social media, in public, in some organizations is not an indicator for a fruitful advocacy plan, we have to focus on long term measuring tools in collecting data, broadening the concept of the advocacy, expecting risks and oppositions, set preventive actions in order to save our goals from shifting.

• This discussion is a little critical to understand it through its all phases, because of its theoretical value and aspect, but every organization had to choose the suitable criteria of search to result with an interim outcome that fits the monitoring and observance needed in every stage of the operation. The assessment in the interim outcome is an instantaneous and short termed, and as long as data is collected to form a database for the advocacy organization, the process of achievement will be clear and successful. For Example: Phase I of the advocacy plan, is to spread awareness on a focal or core point of my advocacy plan that is " deliberating oppressed women", after running surveys and questionnaires, the data collected of different opinions and different parties will explicate the situation and the positioning of the advocacy strategic direction and the progress of implementation.

• I believe that assessing interim outcomes is a good idea because it prevents advocates the shock of the unexpected ,

• yes as the times change so do advocacy tactics have to change and in this case advocates should be cautious of the methods they chose to incorporate in advocacy

• Yes, a revisional result result is necessary for many reasons

• setting of appropriate outcomes is very important, your advocacy is well directed if you have the right outcomes

• setting of appropriate outcomes is very important, your advocacy is well directed if you have the right outcomes

• the advocacy capacity building s the key for a stronger advocacy campaign.

• its so important to know interim outcome

• The interim out come is necessary

• How Tonya framed this measurement strategy is exciting! - Outcomes, instead of outputs.

This is such a powerful framing that puts a lot of advocacy activities into a huge perspective.

It also helped me understand the matrix better and if followed studiously, will begin about the road to a policy win!

Thank you, Tanya, and deep appreciation to Ruth and Rakash!

• Why is it necessary to identify interim

• This module is very helpful in day-to-day life.
    But I'm much worried to receive my assignments grade thank for reading it.

• Yes interim outcome is important because its specified and has a time frame on when things should be done and when it should be done

• Yes interim outcome is important because its specified and has a time frame on when things should be done and when it should be done

• i realise getting to know the expected outcomes is key and this will give direction

• I think that the key point of advocacy

• A very elaborate expose`. The evaluation of one's policy advocacy seem to require more deliberateness than even the advocacy itself.

• It is realy important to know what kind of evaluation will work for your organisation or project

• Thanks for the opportunity

• The interim outcomes are very necessary to evaluate the advocacy project

• I appreciated the fact that we have to focus on interim outcomes more that outputs

• Frankly this module was a mind blowing where you learn the human centered design process thus Inspiration, Ideation, and Implementation.

M
    1 Reply
  • This is an interesting topic ,a bonus for the M&E students

O
    1 Reply
  • Definitely agree with you all.

• Interim outcome is vital as it gives you an insight of what you are likely going to have at the end of the day. You can then create room for adjustment if need be.

• Everything is great. The course is amazing.

• Важны промежуточные результаты

• Understanding the outcomes
    Make the change in positive way

O
    1 Reply
  • Identifying interim outcomes is far more helpful than measuring outputs. Interim outcomes will help an advocate identify if they need to change their strategy by evaluating if they are in any way engaging their target audience.

• Identifying interim outcome is very necessary in any advocacy work.

• Evaluation of any program (especially advocacy) is essential to the success of anything. It can be easily compared to taking a trip. You most likely automatically evaluate your trip without even realizing. On a trip you can measure things like time and destination. If you destination is Florida and you end up in Kansas, your trip can be evaluated as a poor outcome. This is a very elementary example but working in Higher Ed I have learned my ABCDs. ALWAYS BE COLLECTING DATA!

• Interime outcome gives a glimpse on how the future looks there giving amuch needed confidence to stay in the fight

• You are very right, it helps you know if you are making progress or not

• Interim outcomes will give you an edge

• Truly, i learnt a lot in this session, the tools and strategies

• yes the interim out come is necessary

• Flexibility in M&E is important because it helps one redesign the strategy in effecting change.

• yes the interim out come is necessary

• Advocacy geared toward policy change is a bit complex in that windows of opportunity keep opening and closing from time to time in an unpredictable fashion. In this respect, one must only take stock of their realized outcomes, however minimal or major, as a result of activities as steps towards the main victory. In this regard, you may have not attained your end goal, but you get to measure whether you are on course or out of course towards attaining your expected outcomes. To me its a question of acknowledging a glass as half full in terms of change in your target audience over a given period as a product of your tactics. Overall, the small wins you achieve are sufficient signals in the context in which you are working is critical. This is way different from direct service activities outcome evaluations where the end-goal is either achieved or not at the end of a given time period.

• In an ever changing world, assumed outcomes might not be achievable. To have still achievable, yet realistic goals, Interim Outcomes are functional evaluation tools. They can help achieve milestones in unpredictable times and allow the opportunity to reassess advocacy strategies for success. For example, reaching interim outcomes can be stepping stones to reaching ultimate goals, like moving from public awareness to lawmaker action. The same strategy cannot be used every time and the relevant data which must be collected at each step reveals what must be done next.

• I don't think soo

• Personally, advocacy takes long time so it is not always easy and feasible to evaluate the outcomes. Instead, the evaluation can be taken place along the way of doing advocacy to see if there is any unexpected incidence out of the predefined plan.

• The earliest forms of English, collectively known as Old English, evolved from a group of West Germanic (Ingvaeonic) dialects brought to Great Britain by Anglo-Saxon settlers in the 5th century and further mutated by Norse-speaking Viking settlers starting in the 8th and 9th centuries. Middle English began in the late 11th century after the Norman conquest of England, when considerable French (especially Old Norman) and Latin-derived vocabulary was incorporated into English over some three hundred years.[9][10] Early Modern English began in the late 15th century with the start of the Great Vowel Shift and the Renaissance trend of borrowing further Latin and Greek words and roots into English, concurrent with the introduction of the printing press to London. This era notably culminated in the King James Bible and plays of William Shakespeare.[11][12]

Modern English has spread around the world since the 17th century as a consequence of the worldwide influence of the British Empire and the United States of America. Through all types of printed and electronic media of these countries, English has become the leading language of international discourse and the lingua franca in many regions and professional contexts such as science, navigation and law.[3] Modern English grammar is the result of a gradual change from a typical Indo-European dependent-marking pattern, with a rich inflectional morphology and relatively free word order, to a mostly analytic pattern with little inflection, and a fairly fixed subject–verb–object word order.[13] Modern English relies more on auxiliary verbs and word order for the expression of complex tenses, aspect and mood, as well as passive constructions, interrogatives and some negation.

English is the most spoken language in the world (if Chinese is divided into variants)[14] and the third-most spoken native language in the world, after Standard Chinese and Spanish.[15] It is the most widely learned second language and is either the official language or one of the official languages in 59 sovereign states. There are more people who have learned English as a second language than there are native speakers. As of 2005, it was estimated that there were over 2 billion speakers of English.[16] English is the majority native language in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand (see Anglosphere) and the Republic of Ireland, and is widely spoken in some areas of the Caribbean, Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania.[17] It is a co-official language of the United Nations, the European Union and many other world and regional international organisations. It is the most widely spoken Germanic language, accounting for at least 70% of speakers of this Indo-European branch. There is much variability among the many accents and dialects of English used in different countries and regions in terms of phonetics and phonology, and sometimes also vocabulary, idioms, grammar, and spelling, but it does not typically prevent understanding by speakers of other dialects and accents, although mutual unintelligibility can occur at extreme ends of the dialect continuum.

• Interim outcomes are the intermediate change of an intervention and in this case, they are increased awareness, change in attitudes and knowledge

• It is really necessary to identify

• i think having outcomes is a good idea because it will make the monitoring and evaluation process easier because you already know what you want to achieve and measuring it will be much more efficient

• What is interim? My imagination is a caplet with red colour inside vitamin and mineral and some sugar. It looks like a game changing. I couldn't find it in scrubs. It might be lost somewhere my mistake

• I have found this module very interesting, especially highlighted the difference between an output and an outcome, which well correctly evaluated can lead to the success of the advocacy campaign. Most advocacy campaigns become ineffective in a long term due to lack of follow up, the measurement tools for strategy and tactics are very important!

• The more that I think about Interim Outcomes, (expected)- in actuality we never get the expected outcome, the win.
    Ex- Criminal Justice Reform 2020. They mobilized the general public, convinced key influencers to get on board (legislators, senators, assembly members).
    The change maker (Governor) signed the bill, massive win for the Organizations that came together and fought effortlessly and diligently at the table, framing.
    We got the win, but 90 days later mass rollbacks to the bill, we expected push back as you do on anything that you are fighting for, but to get the win and then the justice system starts making a mockery of what the actual bill Judges and law enforcement started releasing violent offenders under the guise that this is what this bill stood for. Both actions are Historical.

• I think it's very important,it really helps to put into perspective what your organisation is mainly working towards.

• Interim outcome is the key to reaching to impact or ultimate outcome.

• Hello everyone, my name is Martha and I am excited to attain new knowledge in regard to fundraising and I am looking forward to practicing my learning more and improving my organisation, Thank you so much

• I agree Interim outcomes are the milestone of any all projects and helpful in knowing what works and what doesn't work, I also believe just because something is not working for one specific goal doesn't mean it wouldn't work on another project or another area of your project.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.