Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• As in the previous module, I seem to have difficulty navigating this "reply" portion, as well as understanding what am I replying to. What I will do instead is to offer my reflections on the module.

I agree that an important part of monitoring and evaluation is how to avoid setting unrealistic targets. Unrealistic targets can be a product of underestimating or overestimating the capabilities of the organization. This is why baseline data or benchmarking is important. Having realistic targets will minimize frustration for the organization since logically, realistic targets will generally be hit while unrealistic targets will be missed/not achieved.

• I like that you mention the balancing act when it comes to setting a target that is both achievable given the time and resources but is also ambitious. A target that is achievable but is lacking in ambitiousness will have a muted impact and is thus less desirable compared to something that is high-impact.

• Setting unrealistic targets in a Nutrition Policy Advocacy project can undermine its effectiveness. Unrealistic targets may include achieving drastic changes in a short time frame, such as eliminating a widespread nutritional issue entirely. It's essential to consider the feasibility of goals based on available resources, societal context, and the complexity of the problem. Unrealistic targets could also involve expecting rapid behavioral changes without addressing underlying social, economic, or cultural factors. Striking a balance between ambition and practicality is crucial for a successful nutrition policy advocacy project.

• A target is unrealistic if you are biased and does not rely on any data or baseline to guide you.
    Setting higher target is good, but you should have some historical trend about what may already be available or had happened previously.(bench Mark).

• Unrealistic Targets are those targets that won't be met as it is not realizable or practical. It can be ambitious yes but it has be traced back and backed up with the achievements the programmes had before. It might be higher than that if the indicators gives a green light. If not that the targets at least to be kept within the previous target ranges. So if it exceeds or gets more lower that the targets becomes unrealistic.

• I think I have answered it before already

• Setting unrealistic targets can be detrimental to the project, especially because they are difficult to achieve. However, targets are always adjustable therefore we can always go back and set more realistic targets

• I think it can be difficult to set targets when doing something that is a relatively new concept, or if you are new to the world of M&E.

T
    1 Reply
  • unrealistic objectives are not measurable in time, on the budget

• unrealistic objectives are not measurable in time, on the budget

• I think this module did a great job of defining realistic versus unrealistic targets. This provided a helpful and insightful look into targets.

• Unrealistic goals often lead to inaccurate planning. Unrealistic goals can worsen productivity rather than improve it. That's because if you're constantly pushing your team to achieve the impossible, they're going to start cutting corners in order to try to meet those goals. This can result in sloppy work, missed deadlines, and wasted resources—all of which hurt your bottom line. When team members realize that their targets are not feasible, they tend to become discouraged rather than more motivated. Overly ambitious target can also lead team members to take excessive risks in order to achieve them.

• Targets shouldn't be unrealistic, but rather should be something that is achievable - without any emotions - something which the data can back up.

• Some bosses assign impossible deadlines, force their employees to work later than expected, put more pressure on certain employees instead of others, or give their workers unmanageable amounts of work.

• Unrealistic targets are those you can theoretically achieve but practically are impossible due to other factors.i.e inadequate funds,time and human power

• Unrealistic targets are those that you want to achieve but you don't have the required or necessary skills or resources.

• Thanks for this information

• What a great way to learn about indicators and targets, I have learnt that indicators are things that you measure to determine your success and different indicators that I have learnt and targets gave me a different perspective and I love it.

• Unrealistic targets can cause you to lose the impact that you want to create, You must Have targets that are realistic and the quantity, quality and efficiency of the targets are important.

• If i start at zero, how much are target going to be enough for monitoring and evaluation? How do we know this substaincial for us to measure?

• unrealistic targets,
    they are missing % or date for example.
    the children's enrollment is higher this year than next year

• unrealistic targets,
    the children's enrollment is higher this year than next year its become over 5% of last yr

• unrealistic targets,
    the children's enrollment is higher this year than next year its become over 5% of last yr

• interesting to learn that targets should be ambitious but realistic.I am conflicted on how to settle on a target in a team setting using this criteria especially because individuals level of realistic and ambition is different .I am also curious to learn on the baseline selection especially when you choose to go the already existing source.What happens if two similar independent projects have been carried out and they give totally conflicting information?how do you settle for your best fit?

• When setting targets, they should be achievable within the time frame and budget of the project.

• Well to me unrealistic targets will be putting yourself, team and the project under an unnecessary amount of stress. It's good to be an overachiever but sometimes especially when dealing with big projects it's best you cut clothes according to your size

• Unrealistic targets are targets set without an informed knowledge with data. Budget, trend, baseline data, researches carried out in line with the proposed project are examples of data that's should be checked before setting realistic targets

Data management involves all the processes form collection, to entry ,to collation to analysis to interpretation , to report and to storage of data

• By Placing unrealistic targets, we will not be able to see the success of our projects. Therefore, before setting targets, we need good situation analysis. And need to set realistic targets.

• By Placing unrealistic targets, we will not be able to see the success of our projects. Therefore, before setting targets, we need good situation analysis. And need to set realistic targets.

• Setting unrealistic targets will be a big issue when you measure the progress of the project

• Setting unrealistic targets will be a big issue when you measure the progress of the project

• Unrealistic targets are targets that cannot be achieved by our current status. it might arise for different reasons. the first is that it may be due to fact that the basiline information may not be distorted

• Through this lesson, i noted that if someone plans to start a projet whithout taking account budget and others resources , the targets to achieve will be unrealistic. So it's good to adjust indicators and targets to the local context and budget we have

• Unrealistic targets will guide us to the wrong goals. We could not be able to draw a Project and implement efficiently. If the targets are not real, consequently the objectives of the project will be unrealistic. And in this situation it won't be possible to implement the project, the project is predestinated to failure.

• Setting unrealistic targets in a project can have detrimental effects on its overall success. Unrealistic targets often lead to skewed expectations, causing frustration among team members and stakeholders. These targets may strain available resources, jeopardize the quality of project deliverables, and erode team morale. Moreover, unrealistic goals can undermine the credibility of the project, creating a sense of distrust among stakeholders. It is crucial to establish targets that are ambitious yet attainable, considering the project's scope, available resources, and external constraints. A realistic approach to goal-setting fosters a more positive work environment, encourages sustainable progress, and enhances the likelihood of achieving meaningful outcomes.

• One problem we have in M&E is setting unrealistic target

• One problem we have in M&E is setting unrealistic target

• Unrealistic targets are done out of an attempt to impress donors sometimes, its very important to set realizable target within project scope or else project may began to struggle during reporting period fabricating data that do not exist. Baseline information is great too for setting realistic target but most organization would set target even for baseline with bias, already made up their mind on what should be.

• I do not see a prompt here about what specifically we are supposed to discuss, so I will share some thoughts on unrealistic targets.. In my experience, sometimes boards will impose unrealistic targets without really understanding the work that would have to be done to achieve those targets and the resources required. When setting targets, I think it is important to focus on quality as well as quantity, to ensure that your activities are actually achieving meaningful results.

• Unrealistic targets do not have baselines that is established either from a reliable source, getting first hand data or starting from zero. Additionally, unrealistic targets tend not be based on historical trends.

• Unrealistic targets in monitoring and evaluation can be problematic for several reasons. Let's discuss some of the key issues associated with setting unrealistic targets:

Loss of Credibility: When targets are set too high and are clearly unattainable, it can lead to a loss of credibility for the project or organization. Stakeholders, including donors and beneficiaries, may question the validity of the project's goals and outcomes.

Demotivation: Unrealistic targets can demotivate project staff and beneficiaries. When people see that the targets are impossible to achieve, they may become disheartened and less committed to the project's objectives.

Misallocation of Resources: Setting unrealistic targets can lead to a misallocation of resources. Projects may allocate too many resources to certain activities in an attempt to meet unattainable targets, which can result in inefficiencies.

Data Manipulation: In some cases, project staff may resort to data manipulation to make it appear as though targets are being met when they are not. This can undermine the integrity of the monitoring and evaluation process.

Impact on Sustainability: Unrealistic targets can also have long-term consequences on the sustainability of a project. If targets are consistently set too high and not achieved, it can erode trust in the project, making it difficult to secure future funding or support.

To address these issues, it's essential to set targets that are both challenging yet achievable. Targets should be based on realistic assessments of the project's capacity, resources, and external factors that may influence success. Regular reviews and adjustments of targets are also important to ensure that they remain relevant and attainable throughout the project's lifecycle.

• Is are target that is unachievable.

• Some targets may become unrealistic depending on the occurrence of some unpredictable issues which happened during project implementation.

• There is no prompt showing here. But I certainly agree its important to keep a balance between ambitious and realistic targets. And to know that nothing is set in stone, so nothing is lost if one were to go back and adjust their targets.

• I feel that I'm getting closer to my goal. This module has been truly engaging, and although it has required a significant time investment, I'm confident that I'm on the right path to achieving my objectives. The complexity of the material has pushed me to push my boundaries, and every step taken reinforces my belief in my ability to master these concepts. With perseverance and commitment, I am confident that I will not only overcome the remaining challenges but also excel in the entire program. The satisfaction of making progress toward my goals further motivates me to continue with determination.

• Its always advisable to set ambitious target because it helps the team to give their best realization of the goal. The targets should be realistic too. Targets are subject to change in the course of the project. This may be due to some risk coming to play or other unavoidable factors but its always advisable not to change the initial target which is the goal of the project. factors that could affect setting of target are funds, target of donors.
    indicators are those things that we measure which tells us if our project is successful or not. each level of the logframe has its indicator and this can be tested by the following to see if the indicator is suitable; the usefulness to management, is it disaggregate, objective, direct, adjustable, adequate, relatable.
    The baseline is the starting point of an indicator e.g every project must have been done before by someone and there was some notable progress done so every project builds on an existing progress achieved previously so that point of starting for your project from where others left off is your baseline and if nothing has been done regarding the project before then your baseline will be zero.

• Its always advisable to set ambitious target because it helps the team to give their best realization of the goal. The targets should be realistic too. Targets are subject to change in the course of the project. This may be due to some risk coming to play or other unavoidable factors but its always advisable not to change the initial target which is the goal of the project. factors that could affect setting of target are funds, target of donors.
    indicators are those things that we measure which tells us if our project is successful or not. each level of the logframe has its indicator and this can be tested by the following to see if the indicator is suitable; the usefulness to management, is it disaggregate, objective, direct, adjustable, adequate, relatable.
    The baseline is the starting point of an indicator e.g every project must have been done before by someone and there was some notable progress done so every project builds on an existing progress achieved previously so that point of starting for your project from where others left off is your baseline and if nothing has been done regarding the project before then your baseline will be zero.
    The data collection tool explained is the Participants Tracking Form which is used to collect quantitative data. This tool is used for any project that involves human participants. It is an observation tool. The steps to creating the form includes the following: a) Understand your indicator b) Decide which type of information to be recorded. c) Decide how your form will be filled d) Create your form e) test your form f) Revise your form.
    Meta data is information that explains how your data was collected and the include the following: the title of the tool, who used the tool, the version of the tool, where they used the tool and when he used the tool.
    Instructions and codes must be clearly stated at the end of the Tracking Participants Form. The meta data is be out at the top of the form and data collected from participants should be recorded in tables with columns and rows. a row should be assigned to a specific participants data.
    The form should require only relevant data and it should be simple to use and understand.

• Please, how do I see previous discussions on this topic

• Les objectifs irrĂ©aliste peuvent ĂŞtre des objectifs qui ne tiennent compte du contexte. Ce sont aussi des objectifs fixĂ©s non sur la base des donnĂ©es existantes mais sur la ressentis et les humeurs des acteurs du projet. Un objectifs irrĂ©aliste sort de l'ordinaire

• Unrealistic targets are not based on sufficient information and data. This type of target is usually based on biases and assumptions rather than the real facts on the ground.

T
    1 Reply
  • unrealistic targets refer to goals or objectives that are set at levels that are difficult or impossible to achieve within the given context, resources, or timeframes.Unrealistic targets can arise due to a lack of understanding of the context, over-optimism, inadequate data, or unrealistic expectations. such as Failing to consider external factors or circumstances that may affect the program's performance. For instance, setting agricultural production targets without accounting for unpredictable weather conditions or market fluctuations.

• Unrealistic targets are not easily achievable, doable, or practical. Generally, these targets set higher standards than the individual or team can reach. They can be expensive and time-consuming, leading to feelings of frustration and despair when the failure occurs.

• Target that can not be meants, but can still be adjuested

• It would be difficult to reach unrealistic targets when the targets are too ambitious. If the targets are unrealistic, the project's outcome and results will not be effective.

• hello guys i think Unrealistic targets can demotivate project teams as they may feel overwhelmed and unable to meet unattainable goals, leading to burnout and decreased morale. what do you think?

• you`re very right my friend for someone who is new in this field it will be so hard unlike the experienced one they can handle any circumstances

• i also think that Unrealistic targets can lead to inaccurate decision-making, as project managers may base strategies on unattainable goals, risking project failure, its better to pass than jeopardize the good progress

• @Mosisa-Bekele said in Module 3 Discussion: Unrealistic Targets:

Unrealistic targets are not based on sufficient information and data. This type of target is usually based on biases and assumptions rather than the real facts on the ground.

so is better not to set these targets right or what do you suggest my friend?

M
    1 Reply
  • It would be difficult to reach unrealistic targets when the targets are too ambitious. If the targets are unrealistic, the project's outcome and results will not be effective.

• Targets can be unrealistic due lack of data or inappropriate data collection, but it should be realistic to achieve outcome, To do it, realistic target should be based on real data on the project.

• Unrealistic goals are when the team's workload or the time required for performing the tasks hasn't been estimated properly.

These are goals which are not doable or practical and are impossible to to meet because of time or other issues

• Targets can be unrealistic due lack of data or inappropriate data collection, but it should be realistic to achieve outcome, To do it, realistic target should be based on real data on the project.

• Target that can not be meant, but can still be adjuested

• Unrealistic goals that are not achievable, doable, or practical because goals that are not achievable, doable, or practical. They can be expensive and time-consuming, leading to feelings of frustration and despair when the failure occurs.

• Targets have to be drawn based on SMART framework. Unrealistic targets can never been achieved. Target could be QUANTITATIVE, QUALITATIVE or EFFICIENT

• Targets have to be drawn based on SMART framework. Unrealistic targets can never been achieved. Target could be QUANTITATIVE, QUALITATIVE or EFFICIENT

• Please, how do I see previous discussions on this topic

• From what I have learnt so far, unrealistic targets mean goals or objectives set within a project or initiative that are impractical or unattainable given the available resources, time, or circumstances. These targets I think, will often exceed the project's capacity or go beyond what can reasonably be achieved, leading to potential failure or disappointment. Unrealistic targets can hinder project success, strain resources, and undermine stakeholder confidence if not adjusted to align with the project's actual capabilities and constraints.

• The adequacy of a target for monitoring and evaluation depends on the specific goals and objectives of the project. Setting a target that represents a significant but achievable improvement from the starting point is crucial. This ensures that it is substantial enough to measure meaningful progress while remaining realistic given available resources and constraints.

• Unrealistic goal
    unrealistic objectives do not allow you to have a precise idea of ​​the results to be achieved. Therefore, it is essential to define SMART objectives.

• A target is unrealistic if you are biased and does not rely on any data or baseline to guide you.
    Setting higher target is good, but you should have some historical trend about what may already be available or had happened previously.(bench Mark).

• Dear Friend

I suggest that when setting targets it is better to base on real-time evidence rather than individual assumptions and biases. To obtain relevant data constructive discussion with stakeholders with evidence on the matter is highly recommended.

• Targets that are too ambitious and overated draw more time and other resources may be considered unrealistic. On the other hand, targets set too low are also unrealistic given the project has greater potential to achieve higher results. Hence, it is important to set targets that are realistic given the time, human and financial capacities of the organization.
    It is important to collect data using tools that are specific to the information needs of the project. Data collection tools should include all the important information and must be simple and clear to use.

• Targets should be realistic and based on the capacity of the project to achieve the set results. Over ambitious results are not realistic and may be difficult to achieve.

• Setting the Bar too high: Unrealistic targets often stem from setting goals that are beyond what is realistically achievable within a given timeframe or with available resources. While aiming high can be motivating, setting targets that are entirely out of reach can lead to frustration, demotivation, and ultimately failure.
    Risk of Unethical Behavior: In environments where unrealistic targets are imposed, there's a heightened risk of unethical behavior as individuals may resort to cutting corners, misrepresenting data, or engaging in other dishonest practices in order to meet the targets or avoid consequences for failure.

• Risk of Unethical Behavior: In environments where unrealistic targets are imposed, there's a heightened risk of unethical behavior as individuals may resort to cutting corners, misrepresenting data, or engaging in other dishonest practices in order to meet the targets or avoid consequences for failure.

• Know your project
    Your M&E plan is a set of tools that will help you measure progress towards your goals. That is why your first step is to understand exactly what those goals are. You will learn how to do this in Module 2. In this module, you will create a Logical Framework, also known as a Logframe.

Choose your indicators
    Indicators are the things that you measure. Sometimes your donors tell you what to measure and sometimes it is up to you, but typically it can be a bit of both. You will choose indicators in Module 3. In this module, you will create an Indicators Document.

Decide how you will measure your indicators
    There are many ways to collect data, and you will have to choose our methods carefully. You will make these decisions in Module 4.

Create tools
    Tools can be surveys on a computer or papers in a notebook. Either way, you will need to create your tools thoughtfully. You will create tools in Module 4. In this module, you will create a Participant Tracking Form.

Define responsibilities
    Collecting, managing, analyzing and using data will probably involve lots of people. You will decide who will do which tasks in Module 5. In this module, you will create a Roles and Responsibilities Chart and a Data Flow Map.

• Will the funding of 15k be able to donate blankets, hats, scarves and jerseys to 200 people? Or is this unrealistic

I
    1 Reply
  • Unrealistic targets can lead to frustrations, disappointment ,wasted time and efforts

• I would like to express my gratitude to Philanthropy University for providing their free course. Through Module Three, I have gained valuable knowledge on selecting SMART indicators, setting ambitious targets, and measuring results or achievements. This module has equipped me with the skills to confidently choose strong indicators that align with objectives and effectively establish targets.

• I was clearly understood that the Baseline your indicators is very important for be set your ambitious target

I
    1 Reply
  • In some instance, having unrealistic targets may be caused by future uncertainties - the cases of budget cuts and environmental shocks. Moreover, stakeholders with an upper hand in project implementation may sometime also influence the case after being optimistic!

• In some instance, having unrealistic targets may be caused by future uncertainties - the cases of budget cuts and environmental shocks. Moreover, stakeholders with an upper hand in project implementation may sometime also influence the case after being optimistic!

• Yes, the baseline statistics are a good basis to set the project targets. Moreover, the historical trends also helpful in setting ambitious yet achievable targets. Its such a good approach of setting targets that can be attributed to the project itself!

• Likimo, maybe some small inquiry. In which currency is the 15k? And what other project output as well as outcome are we looking at in this case? This may help us decide whether the target is realistic or not. Best regards.

• Provide more information on unrelaisitc targets

• Targets should be realistic, as setting a realistic target will help your team in committing to meeting the target, but if you set unrealistic targets and cannot meet up with it, you will be disappointing yourself, your team and donors.

• According to Cambridge dictionary unrealistic simple entails having a wrong idea of what is likely to happen or of what you can really do; not based on facts: whilst target a particular group of people that something is directed at. In other words people set targets they want to achieve at the end of project or goal. Combining the which then makes unrealistic target which simply states something that is unattainable, plus people have zero idea on how they can reach their target or goal that's where there's an aspect of using S.m.a.r.t to be able to go about their set targets. It is therefore very important to understand what the project is demanding how the set targets can be reached. Hence great emphasis is placed on the what the project requires or demands or how targets can eventually be reached. Realistic on the other hand does refers to accepting things as they are in fact and not making decisions based on unlikely hopes for the future. Meaning realistic targets are attainable. Therefore relating this to m&e it means a project will fail if targets are unreachable on the other hand it simply also means team members are not too clear about the set targets how to reach and have a proper decision at the end of the it all to either the project has reached its goals successfully

• M&E starts with good project design. Before you can make an M&E plan, you need to really understand your project’s activities and intended effects.

A logframe is a project design tool. It brings together lots of important information into one place. Completing a logframe is one of the first steps in the project cycle.

The project summary should have a logical flow. Each level should logically lead to the level above it. Whenever possible, you should find evidence to support your logical flow.

It is very important to identify risks and assumptions before a project starts. If you know how a project might go wrong, you can start preparing. You will also know what problems to look for when you start monitoring.

• M&E starts with good project design. Before you can make an M&E plan, you need to really understand your project’s activities and intended effects.

A logframe is a project design tool. It brings together lots of important information into one place. Completing a logframe is one of the first steps in the project cycle.

The project summary should have a logical flow. Each level should logically lead to the level above it. Whenever possible, you should find evidence to support your logical flow.

It is very important to identify risks and assumptions before a project starts. If you know how a project might go wrong, you can start preparing. You will also know what problems to look for when you start monitoring.

• Read First: Read through your peer’s entire submission before you start scoring them or offering feedback.

Be Specific: Include comments that are specific. Comments like “that was great!” or “I didn’t like it” won’t be very helpful to your peer. You need to tell them specifically why it was great or what you didn’t like. Comments should be specific enough that they make sense and are easy to follow.

Be Balanced: Include comments that highlight the strengths as well as the weaknesses of the submission. Constructive feedback should focus on what your peer can improve as well as what was successful.

Ask Questions: Raise questions that come to your mind as you are reviewing their assignment. If something is unclear to you, ask about it in a respectful and kind way.

Be On Time: Your peers rely on your thoughtful feedback to improve their work. Make sure that you submit your feedback to them within one week of submitting your own assignment.

• Sometimes especially for an ongoing project or a project that has come as a continuity to another, it is difficult to convince donors to lower targets relative to the available resources or request for an increase in funding.

• Selecting strong indicators is very important for your project.

• Some projects could have the challenge of not finding adequate information to guide the targets they set. They may inadvertently set over ambitious targets with the implication that when in the field, they may not manage to execute. Others could also in a bid to woo donors also exaggerate their target and end up with the same outcome. Therefore it's important that targets are data driven and also carefully planned and set. This may require a team in which the members have different qualities that balance out and help bring the best targets out for the project keeping the beneficiaries and donors in mind.

M
    1 Reply
  • Selecting unrealistic targets can have several disadvantages, including demotivation, burnout, poor decision-making, strained team dynamics, and a loss of focus on long-term goals. It is crucial to set targets that are challenging yet attainable, allowing individuals and teams to thrive and achieve sustainable success.

• This module on indicators and targets has been an eye opening for me.

• Setting ambitious goals can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, they can push us beyond our comfort zone, drive innovation, and lead to impressive achievements. On the other hand, overly ambitious or unrealistic targets can have detrimental consequences.

• These are targets that are too ambitious to be reached. They could result from being too optimistic, and using biases and assumptions to make decisions when setting targets.
    To avoid this, you need to start using data to make informed decisions than feelings.
    Some sources of data that could be used as baselines for setting targets include:

1. Project budget. This will limit going beyond your capabilities.
    2. Results from previous projects to identify what targets others managed to achieve.
    3. Historical trends to track the dynamics that have been there over the years.
    4. Collecting data for yourself.
    5. If the project is tackling a new problem that has not been tackled before, you could start from zero.
  • There are unrealistic targets that some time organizations set and are not achievable

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.