Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    The aspect of asking for money. It is simply because most organisations are particular about what organisations or individuals want to do with their money. There is this phobia about if funds would be used judiciously or not. There is always a case of mistrust, suspicion etc

• What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?
    First and foremost is by building trust with the help of sharing a true life story or scenario of what my organisation is currently doing and how their funds can also complement the ongoing process or project my organisation is embarking on

• to render accounts of stewardship of past donors and projects with prospective donors to show a sense of credibility, accountability and transparency.

• the most challenges aspect of fundraising is initiating the discussion, The course has taught be an ice breaker which is discussing the interests of the donor before introducing my own needs.

• Personally the most anxious moment is transitioning into asking the donor for money. I can connect well with people but feel people switch off as soon as they hear you want money from them. I am afraid of being rejected or upsetting the donor.

• The podcast gave a lot of use full tips on overcoming this anxiety. I plan to let the conversation flow but also understand how important it is to make the ask. Sending a meeting request letter with your intentions before the meeting helps relieve some of that anxiety. I am confident that once I connect with the donor and smoothly transition into the ask, the ask will be easier.

• not direct but normal

• The most challeging is asking for money, because it can be beyond their capacity and may be uncofortable. Tha´s why I do believe is very important to do some research before de meeting, this will make us feel more secure and confident.

• The most challeging aspect of fundraising, for me, is to get attention. To get the potential donor's attention in my organization and the cause it supports.
    It's hard to raise awareness on social causes such as migration adn refugee.

• yeah the hardest thing is to start the conversation for asking the donation

• we thank donor on different ways like thank notes cards, gifts, or messages email etc. To thank donor is positive gesture for an organisation or chrity trust

• I am really satisfied and captured alot of skills
    thank you again

• @Echonyu said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Meeting new prospective donors is challenging because am uncertain about the result but with practice I always get to be strong in ha doing all results from the future

I agree, putting yourself out there is very diffcult at first. Once you get the skills and experience it gets easier, and hopefully as you grow so do your funds.

• The most difficult part for me is feeling like I'm coming off ingeniune- even though donors have not given an indication that I am. I want donors to know that I am engaged in a conversation, but it's hard for the back of my mind to understand that they are interested in having that conversation and I'm not wasting their time trying to get to the ask.

• Not every no means definite no. We never know if the potential donor won't donate in the future. We should turn around disappointments in to a creative way of improving our approach to new donors. We should always ask for their advice to get them feel their impact in our projects, before they offer finances. Ensuring to deal with our anger well, when we are rejected. The same people may become our donors in the future.

• Meeting and asking them for funds will be most challenging. I find it difficult asking for help in general

• I guess the most anxious part for me is actually finding the donors! I am new to that part. How will I accomplish this? Lots of trying and getting the feedback on how well it is working.

B
    1 Reply
  • 1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    I love connecting with people but have a fear that these relationships might be viewed as being used for money.

2: What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?
    developing stronger relationships with potential donors feeling a stronger connection might allow me to know what they are thinking in the way of donating.

• 1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    I love connecting with people but have a fear that these relationships might be viewed as being used for money.

2: What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?
    developing stronger relationships with potential donors feeling a stronger connection might allow me to know what they are thinking in the way of donating.

• One of the things I do is look at the web pages for local businesses and if in their about me section if it says anything about being involved with the community I then put out cold feelers

• the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising,is finding dono and connecting who have the same interest and why? Because mapping donors that confirm with your organization Goals

!

• The most anxious and hardest moment is when you are meeting a new donor for the first time .This is because you least know what he/she is expecting of you and you also don't understand what are his/her dislikes and like at this time you need to be so careful and Most of the times these is the moment to do and apply active listening skills learnt early

• During Discussion with any of your donor it's prudent that you do the listening I order to understand your donor well and see how he/ She is a perfect fit for your organization

• hello hoe are you

• When making a poster, presenting it, and requesting a presentation of a summary of the project in front of a group of donors

The presentation is clear and concise and is ready to respond to feedback from various donors.

A
    1 Reply
  • The hardest is asking for money but i love the logic of asking for advice that sometimes may lead to the donor giving you money.

K
    1 Reply
  • Going to meet a potential donor without enough preparation and enough research about them makes me anxious, I have made a plan to always make proper preparation ,arrange my fundraising material and make adequate research about the donor beforehand.

• Definitely ready to ask for advice instead of money sometimes.

K
    1 Reply
  • I find fundraising when there is also other strong competitors so getting funf is more difficult .
    I will use this information in future

• I am also ready

• I also find it difficult but with this course help it's now not that much difficult

• the most challenging aspect is asking for money but i have learned that when requesting for the meeting or phone call i should set out the agenda for the meeting. This will ensure the donor has an expectation for me to make the ask.

• For me the most challenging aspect is to get new potencial donors, people or organizations abroad willing to investo/donor in our organization

• The most challenging aspect of Fund Raising is initiating a conversation with a new donor expecially when your are meeting with him for the first time when you are anxious and you don't know what you expect of him and you are worried of what will be his first impression of you and your organization

D
    I
    2 Replies
    1. The most anxiety producing and challenging aspect is certainly actually asking potential donors for money. It is challenging because it feels sometimes forced o ask people for money, especially when asking for larger amounts.
    2. One way to make easier is by implementing the strategies learned in this course on how to craft thoughtful letters asking for money.
  • Hi Eyaran, I agree that one challenging aspect is asking a new donor for support. It can be less stressful and easier when asking someone who consistently donates.

• As I am a beginner of fundraising my first step toward this mission will resume to find out some good donors in order to explain them on how to be part of my organization.

I
    1 Reply
  • As I am a beginner of fundraising my first step toward this mission will resume to find out some good and potential donors in order to invite them to be part of my organization in a support manners.

• I found the letter writing exercise very helpful - it was great to read other people's letters and learn from their approach

• I agree with you.r observation. Blessings

• Welcome to the world of fundraising

• I agree - this is the most difficult transition

• Practice and role-play can be very helpful

• To get credit for your work, follow the instructions below:

1. Write your responses below in the box labeled "Your response."
    2. Click the button labeled "Submit your response and move to the next step."
    3. Complete the self-assessment.
    4. Please Note: You can only submit an assignment ONCE. You CANNOT re-submit an assignment once it is uploaded, so please make sure that you have selected the correct file for grading.
  • I have submitted my assignment. I enjoyed this course.

M
    1 Reply
  • 1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why? Probably prepping for the ask.

2: What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work? Take more courses and training.

• 1.The most challenging thing is to get donors.Because you make a mental goal and you don,t know if you will achieve it.

2.Currently I am doing recreational events such as swimming pools and walks to raise Funds.

Impressing new donors or recruiting potential donors.
    Time Management, asking for help, and planning in advance.

• 1: The most challenging part of fundraising for me is less about making the ask and more about following through and managing donor contacts in an efficient way.
    2: I am currently looking for donor management software to help my team manage our pipeline and record each ask/contact with a donor to aid in relationship building.

• I learnt 2 important things namely; when discussing with the Donor " Compliment the Donor and not your Organisation" and also when requesting for a donation request more than you expect to receive.

• The aspect of fundraising I feel the most anxious about is the starting the conversation and asking stages.

What I will do to overcome this anxiety is to make sure I know as much as possible about the potential donor. I will also seek expert support on how to craft my story to make it as short as possible but as catchy as possible to provoke active listening and interest.

• The hardest part in fundraising to me has always been dealing with a No from a donar or potential donar. It has always left me frustrated thinking may be I didnt ask well or our work ain't worth. But from this class, I actually learnt that a No may mean try next time, so no giving up on donars just like that. I have to keep trying

1 Reply
  • For us it is hard asking for help( in any form) but also meeting new people. We are so immersed into making our non profit work that we almost forgot we have a life, which makes it harder to meet potential donors.

M
    1 Reply
  • The most challenging part is getting donors with similar interest and willing to fund

• totally agree with you

• its nice one very helpful

• The most anxious aspects are get donors to my fundraising event.
    Get the goals at the final.
    contact to all and sell all the tickest events is no so easy for me.

1. I,d like to get volunteers to help me in my events.
      I have started with a fundraising event and only I can sell four tickets.
  • Meeting new potential donors and finally making the ask for the donation is quite challenging.

• Well said! 👍

• That's a great point! 👍

• my most anxious and challenge aspect in fund raising is getting people to partner or give toward my project

• To ask the money or the funds directly but this can be handled by asking advice and giving the donor options of supporting.Like attending the fundraising or linking with other potential donors.

1. The most challenging aspect of fundraising, is asking for money. Main reason, because many organization asking day by day for money, then the fundraising scenario is about competition. The anxiety is the major problem because beyond the competition, you have to make the fundraising personal, in order to get the support.

2. One way to make this aspect of fundraising easier, is for example, try to match organizations goals, with donors expectations and Sustainable development goals.

N
    1 Reply
  • Thanking the donor for his or her patient to give attention for listening to me

• definitely the part when you have to ask the donors for sponsorship, especially the new ones whom you don't know personally, and who know nothing about your organization. Also, the phase where you email the request letter, and they don't seem to acknowledge and you have to anxiously wait for a reply.

1 Reply
  • i agree planning an event is one thing, but getting people to attend the fundraising event is another experience altogether.

• My answers to:

1. What to me is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
      Answer: Mine is "Asking to ask"
      Because this according to me is first and most crucial hurdle to cross.
      Also, this step is what I call as "an Inertia step". What happens is that I keep wanting to do it but keep prolonging it probably because of the anxiety within.

2. What is one way I have made this aspect of fundraising easier in my work?
      Answer: Once the Asking to ask is decided upon I mark an hour or two of my time schedule to complete this task.
      Then I write a draft and read it and edit it several times and finally come up with a draft which fulfills all the criteria required.

• Agree with You Olivia that "Asking to ask" is probably the biggest hurdle to cross. Also about asking totally unknown person and then waiting for their response can be very challenging

• I agree with You that: "the hardest part in fundraising to You has always been dealing with a No from a donor or potential donor, and It has always left you frustrated thinking may be You didnt ask well or your work ain't worth".

To me, the most anxious aspect of fundraising is Asking at the correct time, in the correct way that will increase chances of getting the donor's interest. This is because of the anxiety I would feel before making the Ask. I may feel comfortable while talking about general things while setting grounds but making the leap to make the Ask may be challenging. I think it is also important to make the ask when the potential donor has the right mood and getting the most perfect time such as when the donor is not distracted.
    One way I plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier for my work is to send email clearly outlining the nature of support I need before I meet the donor face to face. This makes it easier to start talking about the Ask without so much anxiety.

• Asking money for a good cause hasn't been much of a challenge to me and appreciating them is a must. However the anxieties that comes with the process is something I have to deal with.

O
    1 Reply
  • I feel always have good communication while you ask or even not ask any help from anyone, the fundraising fellow must be very polite as well as influential in communication whether he / she receives anything or not because it is upto donor whether he wants to give or not.
    Good relationship is a key that opens the doors for many opportunities.
    Identify people those really going to help as well as avoid people those always constantly criticize and discourage because they are not going to spend a single penny or help anyway.

Be always positive and hopeful, always approach multiple donors, if one denies you must have other options , and always have back up plan.
    Thanking the donor in advance as well as written thank you letter after receiving the aid from org and communities with some pics and some notes from beneficiaries. Acknowledging the efforts of donor is must.

As far as possible using the multiple fundraising platforms would be beneficial.

• It's the same for me here, you can also try the asking for advice bit to see if it can be easier.

• You're not alone. It's the same here for me, especially the ask. I believe the building of warm relationships may do the trick.

D
    1 Reply
  • finding the right time to ask for money

• yes i agree with you

• Having little words to write is challenging reason the donor awaits to hear all sorts of pasuadable words to be inclusive in the letter to stimulate his/her molare of responding effectively to a certain cause.

• This session is productive, knowing how to deal with donor gave me powerful help

• Starting or initiciating a conversation makes me anxious but have definitely tried finding a way around it.
    Preparation ,having a positive mindset and practicing breathing techniques are proven ways.
    Be more personal at the beginning of the conversation Let the donor do more of the taklking and at the right momoents enter into the conversation.

• Thank you for sharing such powerful knowledge.

• yes thorough preparation

• The most difficult part of making the ask is initiating the conversation.

• I love talking about the charity I work for and its cause. However, once it comes to making that final ask, I get extremely nervous. In my mind, if a person wants to support your cause, they will offer to make a donation after they hear me speak about it. But that is not always the case. Some donors make a donation even before you make an ask. Some donors donate without asking or expecting anything in return. Some donors ask for things in return or would appreciate if you offer something in return - like for legacy gifts, they want to have their name or the name of a loved one on a plaque permanently displayed on a wall, for example. By offering a "what's in it for them," they tend to listen more. More factors come into play when it is a corporate donor where they also want PR around their donation and have their employees engaged in an activity with beneficiaries. So there is no one size fits all when it comes to donor engagement/management/retention.

• I am very nervous about making the ask. It is uncomfortable to ask fo rmoney.

• I will try to approach it like I am making a new friend.

• This week you will create your own meeting request for a potential donor. In the area below labeled "Your Response," draft an email to a potential (or actual) donor asking to discuss a potential program s/he might be interested in funding.

Make sure your email displays some personalization; the donor should feel like you have done your research on his/her background.

Make sure you describe your program in an interesting and relevant way. You can make up a program, but we encourage you to use one of your actual programs from your organization!

Make sure you have a specific ask: scheduling a meeting, or a phone call, or a request for some advice. If you are requesting a meeting or a phone call, be sure to offer specific days/times that you would like to meet.

In the area below labeled "Your Response," draft an email to a potential (or actual) donor asking to discuss a potential program s/he might be interested in funding. Then, click "Submit" and complete your peer assessments.

• The most challenging aspect for me is being rejected. It is always disappoining. I liked Tom's recommendation to consider "no" answers as "not yet". It is far more motivating to perceive rejection as an opportunity to come to that donor and try again next time

• Nice option. I have pretty the same challenge with presentations. thanks for the idea how to overcome it

• Rejecting of the requesition to meet the the donor is one challenge.

1. The most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising is Reducing Anxiety because its natural
      2.Thanking the donor is one way to make the aspect of fundraising
    1. One of the most anxious aspects of fundraising is often the uncertainty of receiving the necessary funding. This can create emotional and operational pressure, especially when resources are crucial to completing important projects.

2. To make this part of fundraising easier, one approach is to diversify funding sources. This involves seeking partnerships with multiple organizations, diversifying fundraising campaigns (online, events, grants, etc.), and building strong relationships with potential donors to ensure a broader, robust base of support . Additionally, transparent communication about goals, progress and results achieved is crucial to maintaining donor confidence.

• The toughest part of fundraising is not knowing if people will want to help. I make it easier by connecting with potential donors, showing them how their support can change lives, and sharing stories of how past help made a difference. Building trust and teamwork makes fundraising less stressful and more about creating a positive impact together.

• The most challenging aspect of fundraising for me is often the uncertainty surrounding donor responses. There's an inherent anxiety in not knowing how well a campaign or appeal will resonate with potential supporters and whether the fundraising goals will be met, especially when dealing with critical causes. In this case, I would prioritize building strong relationships with donors through personalized communication and providing transparent updates on how their contributions make a difference.

• In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    Asking for a specific amount of money - because I do not have much experience with it
    Create templates of emails, letters, asks for donations to work from each time instead of starting from scratch with every potential donor

1. What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?

For myself I find the socializing aspect of the fundraising the most challenging yet rewarding. Through this course I was able to develop more confidence in my abilities and knowledge and learn what "No" means from different points of views.

I plan to make the aspect of fundraising easier for myself by understanding the main goal for each proposal I will create, so I have more confidence when pitching my proposals to others.

• I agree with this as well. It's always hard to put yourself in situations that you are unaware of but by using your knowledge you have gained in your work force you knowledge will show through in your pitch!

1. What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
      One of the most challenging aspects of fundraising is the uncertainty and anxiety associated with rejection. The fear of hearing "no" and the need to consistently navigate potential donors' diverse motivations and constraints can create stress for fundraisers.
    2. What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?
      In my work, I have focused on building strong, personalized relationships with donors. By understanding their values and interests, I aim to tailor fundraising pitches to resonate with their specific concerns, increasing the likelihood of a positive response and easing the anxiety associated with potential rejection.
    Y
    1 Reply
  • i can relate to what you say.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.