Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Our project is quite similar to MEH only that our workshops are for educational purposes so the data collection tool will be quite similar!

• Data collection tools are important to help track participants and their information. It also helps to collect metadata which is another important and useful data.

1 Reply
    income per family
    size of the family

• Very educative and eye opening

1. Identify who will uste the tool
    2. Focus on essential information
    3. Collect metatdata
    4. Pretest the tool
    5. Train staff to use the tool
  • Is creating a data collection tool more like creating a questionnaire?

• Creating data collection tools require in depth understanding of various data collection methodd

• Creating a data tool needs a lot of individual analytical and critical thinking skills because you will have to picture first in your mind how you are going to collect the data before you put it to the test.
    Creating a data tool is so very important it helps monitor the progress of a project.

• Creating a data tool needs a lot of individual analytical and critical thinking skills because you will have to picture first in your mind how you are going to collect the data before you put it to the test.
    Creating a data tool is so very important it helps monitor the progress of a project.

• I would say here that, I think the various sources of data collection tools has been very educating. they manner in which they are been used by M&E manager is very technical and sensitive. this help review a lot gap during project execution. i have come to understand more on how to make use of creating data collection tools and participant tracking forms. the kind of information to be detailed in the form and for what reason it should be included. again the outputs indicators are a key to these tracking form. I also was impress to how data collection methods are imperative for planning M&E Manager. finally i now strongly believe that i can review my own projects and set things straight.

• yeah some times that may happen as you rightly put it. but again it would be good to look at the organizational project indicators as well. that may be the reason why it is a lot more.

• this are some of the minor things that i use to do without taking note how vital there are. i think i have gain some more insight in these points you list out.

• i also think it is an excellent monitor and evaluator because you also get to know how many person turn in on that day.

• The importance of creating data collection tools is important in the transformation of information to data gathered from the participants or subjects. It is also vital to choose the correct type of data collection tool depending on the type of data to be collected, whether it is qualitative or quantitative type of data.

1. Identify who will uste the tool
    2. Focus on essential information
    3. Collect metatdata
    4. Pretest the tool
    5. Train staff to use the tool
  • Data collection is helpful to a project specially if you need to justify that you've achieved the target or not that you have defined

• Data collection is helpful to a project specially if you need to justify that you've achieved the target or not that you have defined

• Data collection tool will be a great help to justify what your target based on the data you have

• agree with this!

• I believe that it is imperative to prepare for the data collection tools as soon as you begin your project.

I
    1 Reply
  • with tool we use the following steps to to come up with the data needed: Identify Goals and Performers; Create Investigative Questions; Develop a Data Collection Plan; Create Data Collection Instruments; Collect Data; Analyze Data and Identify Gaps and Summarize Findings & Prioritize Actions. by doing or following the above steps then the information needed to be collected will be perfect.

• Data collection tool.
    When creating a data collecting tool there are paramount considerations to be followed to come with the best and simple tool to be used.
    1.Identifying the end user of the tool-This will cover the education, experience and the comfortability of the user on the tool.
    2.Focus on essential information.
    3.Collecting metadata-This is the information that explains how your data was collected.
    4.Pretest your tool.
    5.Train staff to use the tool and include instructions for the simplicity of using the tool.

• Learning about data collection tools has been very useful. It will impact my current project significantly with regards to my approach in getting reliable and relevant data for effective M&E moving forward.

• Creating a data collection tool is the one of steps that require being attentive and knowing your project; because you will design it according to the indicator to be evaluated and the verifications mean chosen.

• When creating data collection tools, it is imperative to identify who will use the toll and focus on essential information

• Creating data collection tools requires a careful pick from the many available options. Also it is best to understand your indicator and what the project intends to measure. Another important thing to note is that identify who will use the tool been created as the easier the tool is the lesser the expertise demand on how effective the data collection process will be. The level of experience of the user of the tool will enhance or impede the entire process.
    It is also good to focus on essential data. This will cut off extra time and resources that may go into collecting data or information that is not relevant to the indicator.

• Creating data collection tools requires a careful pick from the many available options. Also it is best to understand your indicator and what the project intends to measure. Another important thing to note is that identify who will use the tool been created as the easier the tool is the lesser the expertise demand on how effective the data collection process will be. The level of experience of the user of the tool will enhance or impede the entire process.
    It is also good to focus on essential data. This will cut off extra time and resources that may go into collecting data or information that is not relevant to the indicator.

B
    1 Reply
  • Creating a data collection tool can be relatively simple as long as you always remember to stick to the essentials which includes great knowledge of your indicators, how they would be measured, the collection process and the collectors.

• Data collection can be recorded and track if the collection tools are carefully created

• Identify Goals and Performers.
    Create Investigative Questions.
    Develop a Data Collection Plan.
    Create Data Collection Instruments.
    Collect Data.
    Analyze Data and Identify Gaps.
    Summarize Findings & Prioritize Actions

• Data collection tool can be created by looking at your indicator and hence essential information that you will collect on top of your meta data. When creating the tool remember to identify who will collect the information and their level of education and understanding. Keep it simple and not too long. Train your data collector about the tool, pretest and edit where neccessary.

• It is good and very important to create data information tools because you will be able to know all the required information in one form and the donors can easily capture information without having a long process to know how you are running your project and all the upto date information.

• Data collection is a very good because you will have data to present in simple forms

• Create a form using the most important information of their name, age, location. Other information can be included according to what the project is about.

• Create a form using the most important information of their name, age, location. Other information can be included according to what the project is about.

1 Reply
  • Data collection is a methodical process of gathering and analyzing specific information to proffer solutions to relevant questions and evaluate the results. It focuses on finding out all there is to a particular subject matter. Data is collected to be further subjected to hypothesis testing which seeks to explain a phenomenon.

Hypothesis testing eliminates assumptions while making a proposition from the basis of reason.

• This is really insightful

• Understanding the goal of your research What do you want to achieve? Is it just descriptive or need further explanation using inferential statistics? Defining your goals clearly will help you to pick the right data collections method. Know your data sources specifically Knowing your data source is not only about who, what, and where your it.

• This course has taught me that, there are three things that I have to consider when choosing the data collection tools: budget, time, and energy.

• Creating data collection tools is a very important tasks and required careful planning. Once data collection decision has been made, appropriate tools needed to collect the data must be created. The tools should be able to capture the data needed to answer the questions that is asked, in order to help project with adaptive management.

Before creating a data collection tools, it is crucial to understand the indicators of interest that you are trying to measure. The tools on the nature of the indicator, whether it is qualitative or quantitative. Quantitative indicators will usually requires a more structured, types of tools while qualitative indicators may required a more open-ended and unstructured tools.

It also very important for people using the tools to be very versatile with the tools before using; as this will minimize error of collecting the wrong type of information. Data collection should be trained on the tools and the indicator definition. Also testing and revising the tools based on feedback from field test is a sure way of ensuring quality data collection tool.

• Once you chose the right data collecting tool, it's a lot easier to train the personnel to utilize it.

• The creation of data collection tools depends on the type of data to be collected. For example during a quantitative survey, the individual questionnaire is more appropriate.

• I agree with you. Only I would add that the data collection tools are many and varied and depend on the type of collection. Some examples are: surveys, individual interviews, focus groups...

• The idea here is to talk about data collection tools.

• Creating data collection tools may vary from a project to a project depending on the project's objectives.

• very informative tool, i have learnt how to develop data collection tool and what are the pre-requisites that should be focused for it.

• Creation of data collection tools is a very important activity of the log frame as the data is used to measure progress of the projects through the indicators. However they are few steps that need to be followed in order to successfully select data collection methods unto development of these data collection tools. Following these steps is essential as it guides the user on how best to select data collection methods requirements for the whole process, these steps are also crucial as they can help in analysing indicators developed ( if they are really necessary or not).

F
    1 Reply
  • The tips for creating data collection tools are important in program management for three reasons. First, the tips are useful regardless of the type of data gathering tool one wants to utilise to monitor and evaluate programs. Second, and based on experience, following these tips saves the program manager's effort and time from making extensive changes to the tools because these do not work. Finally, and in relation to saving human resources, the tips for crafting data collection tools could save program money because it can ensure that essential indicators are understood and captured correctly. What is meant to be measured is indeed measured. Under this condition, the program can avoid re-doing the process. Thus, the tips in crafting data collection becomes useful in program management.

• Collecting data allows you to store and analyze important information about your existing and potential customers. Collecting this information can also save your company money by building a database of customers for future marketing and retargeting efforts.

• The content has been detailed to me, I'm now able to create a data collection tool following the steps which were mentioned above.

• I have truly gained a lot of insights into Monitoring and Evaluation process.
    This training have made a whole lot of impact to my job of monitoring and evaluating my work teams.
    Also, Its applicability is easy to follow. I enjoyed every Module of the program so far.

• Creating data tools is much more than a questionnaire, it aids to open up a whole range of information gathering that are more than a mere questionnaire.
    Data collection tools, helps to ensure the essential information required for M&E are gathered and well analyzed in order o assist in information and decision making.

• Could we get qualitative information in the participant tracking form?

• Many different methodologies can be used for data collection and analysis. Most are based around a core set of basic tools. These include interviews, focus group discussions, observation, photography, video, surveys, questionnaires and case studies

• How to develop tools for collecting qualitative data? which is not discussed in the module

• The data tools is document/form which help and individual or organization to collect the data or information.During data collection there are many ways which can be used to obtain information but there are few question to consider during data collection and that questions are like
    i)what?, what the kind of data you want to collect from the source.
    ii)who?, who will be the target of providing that information
    iii)How often?, how the data will be obtained
    iv)By whom?, whom will be responsible for collecting data
    v)Can we do so? is the team or person can manage to collect data and submit to the organization or donors.

• Many tools are readily available to manage monitoring and evaluation, data collection, data analysis and impact reporting. These tools do offer some distinct advantages to small-scale organizations but does not scale well when the data is collected from different sources for multiple programs.

• It is important to test the data collection tools before using them on the participants. What I have appreciated from this is that both the data collector and the participant get to interpret the question in a similar way, no misinterpretation

• From this topic I have also learned that observations can also collect quantitative data. I have always though it is qualitative since it does not involve any conversation with the participants. I think it's a method I had ignored but will consider going forward.

• The Participant Tracking form is similar to a tool we use at my workplace though with a different name (participant visit checklist), I am happy to know we already have some data collection tools for the project.

• I must confess I have learnt a lot from this, especially which data collection method for what data.

V
    1 Reply
  • I completely agree.

• Data collection tools are used to collect relevant information about an indicator in the project. While there are several available data collection tools not all will be useful for certain indicators. Some indicators need quantitative data while other need qualitative data. In addition other aspects to consider include cost, level of expertise, frequency of collection etc. it is therefore necessary to use the appropriate tool that doesnt miss some important data

• i think the cost of the data collection exercise comes into play too especially when one has finite resources financially.

• There are different data collection methods, i.e. survey, focus group discussions, interviews and observation, which are different processes or techniques for collecting data. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages. Some methods require a lot of technical expertise to use well, while others are simple enough to be used by a trained volunteer. Some are time-consuming and expensive, while others are quick and cheap. Some methods are great for collecting quantitative data, while others collect lots of qualitative data.

A well-designed Participant Tracking Form makes it very simple for a user to record who participates in a project, at what time, and in what way. The data from this tool is very important as it shows you who will be accessing these services.

• The module was very enriching, and it has really helped m in better understanding data collection tools and methods, when to use them, how to use and why I should use them.

• Creer des outils de collecte de données part des types d'indicateurs. Il faut au prime abord regrouper les indicateurs. Par la suite, pour des types d'indicateurs spécifiques, il faut définir la méthode à utiliser. Il faut se poser 5 principales questions telles que : Quoi, Qui, A quelle frequence, Par qui, et peut-on le faire? le site Indikit est un site pour des outils de collecte et indicateurs et peut être utile. Partir des outils disponibles aident à perfectionner l'outil utilisé et réduit le temps passé.
    L'outil de collecte est crée suivant 6 étapes: comprendre l'indicateur, décidez quels types d'informations enregistrées, décidez comment le formulaire sera rempli; créez le formulaire, testez le formulaire, révisez le formulaire. Aussi, est-il necessaire de préciser les métadonnées lors de la création de l'outil de collecte.

• Step 1: Identify Goals and Performers.
    Step 2: Create Investigative Questions.
    Step 3: Develop a Data Collection Plan.
    Step 4: Create Data Collection Instruments.
    Step 5: Collect Data.
    Step 6: Analyze Data and Identify Gaps.
    Step 7: Summarize Findings & Prioritize Actions.

• Data collection tools are very necessary to collect exact data, different tools are used for data collection, for example, surveys, observation, interviews, focus ground disscussing.

• How long should a tool be? for instance an interview schedule.

• When creating data collection tools they are things that need to be considered. First, you need to understand the indicators which you are measuring. Furthermore, there is also need to consider what information will be collected using the tool and who will be using the tool. There is also need to test the tool before use

• creating data collection tools allows us to store and analyze important information about existing and potential beneficiaries

• There are various ways of collecting data depending on the tool data collection. There are various ways on which to select a tool, the following are some of the criteria to use. One can ask the following questions when selecting a data collection method:
    What?
    who?
    by whom?
    how often?
    Can we do this?
    The following methods can be used for data collection they include:
    Survey
    observation
    interview
    focus group
    document review
    laboratory measurement community workshop or training

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Case Studies, Checklists, Interviews, Observation sometimes, and Surveys or Questionnaires are all tools used to collect data. The preparation of these data collection tools were refer to the objective of the assessment, method we imployed and the final analysis and discussion parts.

• Participation tracking form plays a vital role in keeping track of one's progress,Moreover it makes it easier to collect the relevant data.
    Qualitative and quantitative data have different ways of being collected as different data collection methods focus on each thus making it easier for individuals whether experienced or non experienced as there are those easy to use

• data collection tool should be comprehensive; have both monitoring and evaluation indicators as well as quantitative and qualitative indicators. Indicators should be grouped according to the frequency of collection.
    The trap of wanting to have many unnecessary indicators should be avoided

• Data collection tools are very important for a project. They determine how data is going to be collected. There some things to consider in selection of data tools. Identify the users, focusing on important information, collecting the metadata, performing the pretest and also train your staff on using the tools.
    Its also important to create the a participant tracking form. This is very important because it will in minimizing biases in a project.

• It is an essential step because if the tool is not created correctly you may miss on vital information and if you do not follow all the checks in place you may realise late that you missed crucial data

• it's indeed very important to carry out role play exercises especially for very detailed tools. it is also very important especially for some surveys like end line surveys that leave no room for error.

• Great section, helped to understand how to organize our data collection tools to collect the most useful information possible

• Data collection tool is vital for projects monitoring and evaluation. The very problem with some organization is using one for longer duration without revising it.

• Creating data collection tool is one of an in important step in designing M & E plan .It helps us accurately measure the indicators. It needs skill and follow a systematic procedure.

• Creating data collection tool is one of the important step in designing M & E plan .It helps us to accurately measure the indicators. It needs skill and follow systematic procedure.

• This topic has really answered a lot of questions on my mind. I usually feel that many tools do not answer or include enough data for analysis, now I know I create my tool and add the most important information to it and add other necessary ones that reflects my indicator, Thank you

• Exactly, not all method is a great fix for all types of Data, knowing this is solving at least 20% of data analysis problems

• In creating a tool, ensure the import and necessary information is collected. those crucial to the analysis

• This module has been very instructive for me. I use survey forms and interviews to collect data from beneficiaries of my project

• this is actually the most clear module of this course, it was easier to understand

• Teams must test the form ahead and at a right time to avoid both missing and confusing data and self-imagination, to track the false data hidden in the data, to recognize the missing data, to catch errors hidden within data, to track if there is enough space for recordind needed data.

F
    1 Reply
  • I think that creating data collection tools requires a vision, not only written tools. Every information you have to find must take in consideration the disaggragation of the indicators

• Very good interest cours and discussion

• Data collection tools should be decided after both disadvantages and advantages as been weighed well.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.