Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• To my thinking you should consider both for they go hand in hand.

• yes , i would like to have a dicussion on risks and assumptions

• i also think that, risks and assumptions present in the logframe are the best way to carry on with the project effectively. this aspect give me an insight on the challenges that may occur and what should be done. identification of risks is really a booster along the assumptions. i have learn a lot on this module ,particularly on this topic logframe.

• i would want to say it is almost or is the heart of M&E in a project

• I'd believe that detecting the risks and the assumptions of your project would not only help you monitor and evaluate the project, but it would also pave the way for a smooth success implementing each phase of the project design. For my project, the risk and assumptions I have on the impact are as the following: 1- Will students be willing to get involved in a bit long process of education? 2- Will their parents allow them participate in the program? For the inputs, Will there be enough money? Can I successfully get a spacious place for the number I am planning to get?
    For the output, What will perturb them? Will they last for the entire period of time? For the outcomes, Will they like to help their families with their knowledge? Will they practice and gain greater practices?

• I'd believe that detecting the risks and the assumptions of your project would not only help you monitor and evaluate the project, but it would also pave the way for a smooth success implementing each phase of the project design. For my project, the risk and assumptions I have on the impact are as the following: 1- Will students be willing to get involved in a bit long process of education? 2- Will their parents allow them participate in the program? For the inputs, Will there be enough money? Can I successfully get a spacious place for the number I am planning to get?
    For the output, What will perturb them? Will they last for the entire period of time? For the outcomes, Will they like to help their families with their knowledge? Will they practice and gain greater practices?

• Totally agree.

• Risks and assumptions are external factors that the project has little control over but have an impact on the project's activities and results. Identifying risks and assumptions helps to assess whether the goals and activities of a project are realistic and achievable over a given time. A risk is an uncertain threat that if it occurs, could have a negative impact in completion of an activity. Assumptions are necessary conditions that enable successful completion of a project.

• Risks are likely problems that may be encountered during project implementation, and assumptions are individual biases one have about the project that is not supported by evidence
    Unrealistic targets are targets that project team cannot realize. In other words, these are targets that can be considered unachievable given varying circumstances and situations

• Planning for and identifying risks and assumptions in an M&E plan ensures that there are no unnecessary delays or that delays are minimal during implementations as the plan often also stipulates what is to be done in the event of any of the identified risks and assumptions occuring.

• risks are things which are outside control to our project and can fail your project and assumptions are things which we don't have evidences

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the goal or an activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the goal or an activity.

The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might disrupt your plan. For each level of the logframe i.e; Inputs, outputs, outcome and impact a question is asked on how one can go wrong.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the goal or an activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the goal or an activity.

The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might distrupt your plan.For each level of the logframe i.e; Inputs, outputs, outcome and impact a question is asked on how one can go wrong.

• Risks are things outside your control that might disrupt the project plans. As a good M&E risks should be considered and also an escape route should be provided.
    Assumptions are your biases: the things that you belief without much evidence.

• Risks and assumptions can be a great help in a project for you to know how would you change the plans you have in the project

• Risks and assumptions can be a great help in a project for you to know how would you change the plans you have in the project

• I especially liked the content of the course

• Risk and assumption are more related to contextual issues including internal and external factors that affect and influence the running of the project, and the final impact.

• Risk and assumption have to be minimize through creating a strong project design which can strongly be linked the Monitoring and Evaluation plan. Risk and assumption can be minimize through proper understanding of the logframe.

• Risk and assumption is a very tricky aspect of any research. But I think if you have a proper understanding of log activities it will be easier for you you to formulate your risk and assumptions basically the basis of risk and assumption is questioning your project design.

• Hi! I am Tami and I enrolled in this course to study M&E field. I have a question related to 'Risks and Assumptions' topic. It is: how far the risks should go? Do they refer to corruption in the country and political issues to?

• Risks and Assumptions for project MEH.
    I ldentified the following risks and assumptions.
    -Girls might not want to start businesses or upgrade business
    -Girls might be discouraged from starting businesses or upgrading business by their family or culture
    -Girls might not know how to start or upgrade business
    -The girls business might not make money.

I will try to examine the following monitoring questions;
    -Is the money for microloans enough?
    -How well does the input lead to the output?
    -How well does the output lead to the outcome?
    -Which risk or assumption is hurting the project?
    Some of the evaluation questions will be;
    -Do the inputs produce enough outputs and outcomes?
    -How well did the project create an impact?
    -Did any risk or assumption hurt the project?
    -Were there any unexpected risks or assumptions?

• Risks and Assumptions is when you planing an actitivies ( workshops) to implement on your project, and you share it with your work mate and he or she try to ask you how u intended getting Participant's for that workshop and start to give you some dissatisfying advises like how will you get the participants and if you get them you think they will not request for money before turning up for this training.

• Risk are those things outside of our control that might interrupt our plan project meanwhile Assumptions are your biases those things that you believe without much evidence.It is advisable to think of your risk and assumptions before you start any project so that the limitations can be either controlled or managed.

• Risk and assumptions play a huge role in a project design, it is important to come to terms with possible things that could go wrong during any project implementation. After identifying the risk and assumptions, you can now work on how to overcome them.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• The risk is meeting people you don't know, they might be dangerous some time.
    The assumption is that, you might not get the target money you are expecting to have

• risk and assumptions

• The risks are that the girls might get the loan get the loan and they fail to develop, upgrade or to start a business their by they night fail to pay back the loan.
    The assumption is that their might to much anticipating and at the end of the day the day the girls might not get the into business finding what they anticipated for

• The Programme may not get enough funding and also some persons may just join the Programme to collect the stipend.

• Risk and assumptions, I've noticed if not well considered can cause a project to have little impact. Any tips on how to identify assumptions before project implementation

• Any project will have a risk if the project design did not conduct a proper baseline survey on what type of groups is targeted to benefit from the project.However, the project can have a risk if the project implement failed to choose good indicators which they will to measure the achievement of the project.Then,the project can have an assumption on how they reduce those risk by ensuring before they start the project should conduct a research to understand the nature of a certain place for example MEH they failed to provide micro-loans to girls because they do not gave clear picture what they need to do and what the girls groups need.

• How do I submit the assignment?

• it is important to find riks and assumptions for a project before project implementation starts.

• Project summary helps to spot risks and assumptions.

• the risks and assumptions tell you clearly where the project can go wrong

• finding risks and assumptions before project implementation enables you to respond to them before and during project design phase in a process called formative research

• knowing risks and assumptions can be a powerful way to avoid bias

• Are risks not assumptions if no evidence is found?

• Risk and assumption can never be discounted in any project that's because any project will always have its risk and assumptions. Therefore, it is the work of an M&E expert to look deeply into this things without biasness to ensure effectivenesss of the project.

• risks and assumptions help us get rid of bias so that we are able to to act on facts and enhance the effectiveness of the project. It also helps in making future decisions on similar projects

• Risks are things that expected to happen in a project and them happening results in unexpected results while assumptions are our beliefs in something yet there is no evidence to back us up.
    It is important though to understand risks and assumptions and to cater for them as they help us make right and informed decisions

• The Global Project Assessment tools like SWOT, PESTEL was adapted and used to carry out review and its environment, including an assessment of the community needs, the gaps and documentation of good practice for project implementation.

• Identifying the risks and assumptions may seem easy, but there is more to it than meets the eye. The Results Based Management approach puts a lot of attention to this aspect.

• The assumptions describe the situations, events, conditions or decisions which are necessary for the success of the project, but which are largely or completely beyond the control of the project's management.

• An easy way to check weather your risks and assumption make sense is to look at the activities row and follow there logic.

• Quelle différence Y-a-t-il entre les risques et les hypothèses ?

• The topics in Module are very important for ensuring the the project is prepared to handle identified risks by monitoring the status of identified risks. Because risks are out of the control of the project, it important to carefully consider how the project could be affect by which risks and have plan in place to monitor the degree of severity for each identified risk. thinking through and setting an early warning system for risks can help the project deal with risks. Assumption on the hand needs to clearly identified as such could also turn into risk. Assumptions about important aspects of the project such as beneficiaries adapting new skills or using new technology should be monitored and reassessed frequently to ensure that it is relevant or valid for the stage of the project.

The two topics are very crucial to the healthy delivery of the project.

• Risks are uncertainties or unexpected events that you encounter during a project and can affect your project directly. Assumptions are factors that are considered to be true real or certain but without empirical proof or demonstration. In project planning, it is a must to make assumptions. Every level of your log frame has its own risk and assumptions so we need to indicate them on every level of the log frame. Listing risks and assumptions is very important because you can respond effectively when challenges emerge and require interventions. It also serves to assess whether the goals and activities proposed are realistic and achievable.

• Great source of templates and knowledge. It really helped to refresh my memory with the logframe and IF - THEN chain.

• Risk and assumptions are what disrupts your project plan in the log frame column. For example;

1. Impact
    2. Outcomes
    3. Outputs
    4. Inputs
      When risk and assumptions are involved all these are affected. That’s when the if/then statement comes in. For example a woman want to give her husband a romantic welcome surprise from his business trip. Questions will just come in
    5. What if he had a bad business trip?
    6. What if he’s coming with colleagues?
      Assumptions is d other way round. Believing on something without evidence is an assumption.
  • Risks and assumptions are external factors over which the project has little control, but which may impact project activities and results and maybe connected to events, contexts or community beliefs. Identifying risks and assumptions helps an organization prepare for potential challenges in meeting the program goal as well as determining if a program redesign would be beneficial. For example, if an assumption highlights that a community may be unwilling to accept the activity, it may be necessary to redesign the program.

• Studying the risks of a project is important, as it helps to identify possible problems that the project may have during its implementation, and helps to measure the probability of the project's success.

• The identification of risks and assumptions helps to assess whether the proposed objectives and activities are realistic and achievable within a given time frame and with the support of the human and financial resources involved.

• Risks are factors outside one's control that could cause a project to go poorly
    Assumptions are things that one believes but are not supported by evidence

• The main risk WE may this is the farmers opposition to using the local sheep claiming it is not economically beneficial.
    An assumption could be that they could just get the money and and use it for other purposes like buying good for their families or other types of sheep

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.
    In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific level.
    If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, a risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.
    Assumptions that were considered in the form of risks do not need to be noted again and vice-versa. Similarly, risks and assumptions that were defined at general level, do not need to be mentioned again at specific level. If resistance to change is a major risk for the overall completion of the Roadmap's Goals, it would be also risk for the different Activities considered.

• a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.
    In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific level. If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, a risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.
    Assumptions that were considered in the form of risks do not need to be noted again and vice-versa. Similarly, risks and assumptions that were defined at general level, do not need to be mentioned again at specific level. If resistance to change is a major risk for the overall completion of the Roadmap's Goals, it would be also risk for the different Activities considered.

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.
    In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific level.

General risks and assumptions can be either related to the overall implementation of the Roadmap or common to all Goals included in the Roadmap. Specific risks and assumptions will be related to a concrete Activity, i.e. a particular risk that could hinder the successful implementation of a concrete Activity or an assumption that is key to the implementation of a specific Activity. For instance, a specific assumption for the Activity "establishing an Authorised Economic Operators Scheme" is that incentives granted to AEOs are enough to motivate private traders to invest in the time and resources to get the certification.

If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, a risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.

General risks and assumptions can be either related to the overall implementation of the Roadmap or common to all Goals included in the Roadmap. Specific risks and assumptions will be related to a concrete Activity, i.e. a particular risk that could hinder the successful implementation of a concrete Activity or an assumption that is key to the implementation of a specific Activity. For instance, a specific assumption for the Activity "establishing an Authorised Economic Operators Scheme" is that incentives granted to AEOs are enough to motivate private traders to invest in the time and resources to get the certification.

• Well, this module is very important regarding the logical framework.
    The term Risk and assumption has clear my mind the importance of it and if we cant not work on it then project could be ruined so during designing of project we must focus on it and be prepared for it.

• Risk is the things that my hapen your project like for example we learn what happens when we are doing the moms party
    And the assumption are things it my can happen to sure in the project the different between is risk is hapen surely but assumptions not sure

• The risks that may befall us innovators are the change in technology and. Consumers demand. Police and rules.

• Make sure your logframe has a logical flow

• Helps us to foresee uncertain situation that can hampers progress. And put in mitigation measures in place well before hand.

• Project assumption is the events or conditions most likely to occur when a project life-cycle takes place. It is also deemed as an element in the planning phase of a project that is assumed to be considered true, actual, or certain despite the lack of evidence or proof, according to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) 6th Edition.
    Some commonly experienced project risks include:
    Technology risk. The technological aspect of running a project is a complex deliverable because there is a high turnover of new and advanced technologies.
    Communication risk.
    Scope creep risk.
    Cost risk.
    Operational risk.
    Skills resource risk.
    Performance risk.
    Market risk. etc.

• This modules was very helpful. I could not differentiate the impact and outcome but after all I red from this module, I am able to differentiate the two. I learned that impact is that larger positive change we see as a result of the project. While the outcome refers to those short-term achievements produced by the projects. Another great learning I got is about the logical framework. That is an amazing and simple template that can easily help in writing the project summary.

• Risks help us to think outside the box as we plan for the project and this is really important. It is like carrying an umbrella on your way to a function even when there are no signs of rain, when the rain comes you can still be able to attend and enjoy the function undisrupted.

• The other risk is that the girls might spend the money from the loans on unplanned activities such as social events instead of planned project activities

• There are also security risks especially with projects related to giving the beneficiaries tangible inputs like money. These need to be planned for together with the beneficiaries. And I think the baseline survey can be a good place to plan for such as we analyze the security situation of the community.

• Bonjour, j'ai vraiment apprécié la façon donc ce module est conçu. vous m'avez vraiment aidé à comprendre quels sont les risques et hypothèse dans le projet designs.
    Ma demande sera d'aborder que vous n'avez pas pu développer dans ce module en générale pour permettre de sortir un projet M&E expert digne de sont nom.
    Merci beaucoup car je me vois bien outiller dans la conception du M&E dans les projets.

• When you are in the Project designing phase, it is important to find the risks and assumptions before the project starts. Its important to know what could go wrong and if there is anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs. Furthermore, its also important to know if the inputs will lead to the outputs.

In the logframe, you can identify risks and assumptions by combining the outcomes with the outputs in an if/then statement.

• In the risks and assumptions column, can we add risk mitigation plan as well

• Can an assumption change midway of project implementation?

• Does risks and assumptions involve sudden unexpected events such as disaster, financial crisis?

• The issues of Risk and Assumptions are if there are some risk which are natural and may or may not have been considered, what becomes of them when we get to the assessments.

If Risk are outside ones control, how well is our evaluating them be in relation to the outcome and impact especially when thing go wrong or not the way we expect them to be?

But truly, I follow the lecture so far and its been a great deal of knowledge. I actually have learnt and gained new knowledge and insights.

Thanks.

• This topic is an eye opener.
    There is more to M%E than just rolling out columns, as it can be meaningless to end users if the issue of Risk & Assumptions are not considered.
    Wholly basing our thoughts on our knowledge can be very bias.

• When introducing successful interventions that were implemented in other communities, the assumption is that it resolve the existing problem in the targeted communities. Therefore, identifying risks and assumptions becomes critical in this planning process as it helps to look at the challenge holistically before identifying interventions/ inputs that will help to resolve the problem.

I think identifying risks and assumptions is imperative and should not be overlooked if the team wants to ensure a smooth implementation of the project. A suggestion would also be to consult relevant stakeholders who understand the target group well when designing the activities, this can also help identify risk/ assumptions that the team overlooked.

• It is a very important section of the M&E plan tool because it ensures that the project goals or objectives are on sight and guides in ensuring that any project risks are easily identified early.

• evaluating risk and assumptions helps in understanding events and condition that foreseeable and affect implementation . Past event,list of activities can help identify risks. This helps in adjusting planning and target in an event it occurs

• I think considering risks and assumptions is a wonderful way to guage or forecast the success of a project by removing any possible stumbling blocks, given that these factors are not under our control.

• People may rush to collect when it is tagged as a grant instead of a loan. So, if they know that it is a loan, and they would pay back, they would be more circumspect in collecting. Don't you think so?

• Risks are those things outside our control that can affect a project while assumptions are biases we have without data to base them on. For an HIV program some risks to consider may be that:

• even if we provide HIV test kits and personnel to test people the people may not want to be tested

• even if people test HIV positive they may not want to take antiretroviral therapy (ART)

• Even if we give people ART to take home they may not take the medicines

• Assumptions are external factors for which the intervention is not responsible, but that are very important for the realization of the results, the project purpose and the overall objective. They are outside direct intervention control, but vital for achieving a successful implementation.

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources. Risk however defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact on the completion of the Goal or Activity whereas an assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity. In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific levels.

General risks and assumptions can be either related to the overall implementation of the Roadmap or common to all Goals included in the Roadmap. Specific risks and assumptions will be related to a concrete Activity, i.e. a particular risk that could hinder the successful implementation of a concrete Activity or an assumption that is key to the implementation of a specific Activity.

If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.
    Assumptions that were considered in the form of risks do not need to be noted again and vice-versa. Similarly, risks and assumptions that were defined at the general level, do not need to be mentioned again at a specific level. If resistance to change is a major risk for the overall completion of the Roadmap's Goals, it would be also a risk for the different Activities considered.

• Risks and assumptions are in many instances not properly addressed when embarking on by few organization I have come across. Some are too confident in the project output and outcomes without making provisions for uncertainties. This session was really great

• The module spoke at length on Inputs,outputs,outcomes, impacts,risks and assumptions of which have been confusing to me till now,and I got to learn of what they are and how they operate. But it would be great if there were more specific examples or rather based on project that specializes on one thing so that we can get a better understanding and clearer vision of what exactly is expected. But all in all,this module did teach me a few things and cleared the confusion

M
    1 Reply
  • That's was great as I learnt a lot in this module and one of the topics that I enjoyed much is the project summary as it describes the activities that your project will do and the effects that those activities will have .A logical design tool that is used is the logical framework which brings together a bunch of information into the same place .

• Risks and assumptions are all the things that might disrupt your plan .It is important to plan for risks and assumptions ahead of time so that you understand events and conditions that are unforseeable that might affect your implementation, therefore giving you enough time to make decisions at the right time .

• Risk and assumptions are a very important tasks and requires vital skill sets to enable objective judgments after proper identifications of risks and assumptions

• Risks and Assumptions are the critical external factors where project has little control but the consequences may disturb all the functioning of the project. These are often found or connected with belief of the community where project is going to run, events or other contexts.
    Therefore, to identify it helps to project prepare for the potential challenges.
    For example, the project that is going to be run in the local community may not be accepted by the local person itself.

• I have learnt that The risks and assumptions column of a logical framework provide a lists of all the things that might disrupt my plan. For each level of the logical framework - inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact - one would have to ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?

also the IF/THEN statement would help expose possible risks that could affect my project plans from reaching it outcome and impacts.

• Risks are a list of things that cannot be controlled and can affect the implementation of activities up to the impact. on the other hand assumptions are positive effect of the plan which you do not have evidence and would like result to bias. It is important to highlight the risk and assumptions in your plan because it helps to plan in advance on the unplanned events or conditions so that you adjust the plan appropriately

F
    1 Reply
  • Risk are lists of uncontrolled things that might negatively affect the plan of the project. On the other hand, assumptions are list of positive things that can happen in the project which do not have evidence hence can bring bias. It is important to highlight risk and assumptions because you are able to plan for unplanned conditions or events

• Very interesting but i still have a problems on how to differentiate between impact ant outcome more explanation please

• to work on risk and assumptions serves to assess whether the goals and activities proposed are realistic and achievable

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• Risks are things outside your control that might disrupt your plan. for example if one plans to take a loan and build a house, the risk factors are after building a house one might find it hard to pay the loan, secondly the amount of the loan that he intends to take might too high for him or her to be given, thirdly the money might not be enough thus leading him to apply more loans, while assumptions are biases that is things believed but not supported by evidences.

• Risks in a project are things that unexpectedly happen and they are beyond your control in a project. They are biases and can negativity my project. For instance, I had a project in with the outcome: Reduction of cases related to water-borne diseases among residents by 30%. My risk can be:The residents still do not boil or treat their drinking water when consuming though the implementing organization dug wells and educated them on boiling and treating water first.
    My assumption: Residents treats and boil water before drinking.

• Targets should always be realistic ,when you set a target you are commiting your team to reaching that target .If you miss a target because you were unrealistic ,everyone involved will end up dissapointed ,the team and your donors .It is important to set realistic targets because it will motivate your team .

• before I knew project may have more than one Impacts, but through this module new idea learnt that project have single Impact been expected to be achieved

thank you

• happy because simple English language used

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.