Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I believe they is need to know what is the major impact for the laon

• Exactly what I thought too, for both to work

• I am unclear how this discussion post works so am just going and writing down some thoughts.

Module 2 has provided a good general overview of the log frame and reminded me of the importance of going back to the basics and testing assumptions. It is sometimes very easy to become "passionate" about a cause and rush in to try and solve an issue without fully considering whether we will actually resolve the situation/have an impact. So much time and resources could be better directed if we take the time to do the research and understand the situation.

B
    1 Reply
  • When we are writting a project, we should think about all risks that it can have, for example, risks in the inputs and output and know how to solve them.

We will also could have unexpectated outcomes and we will need to understand and deal with them either.

To deal with risks we must have a deep understanding of our problem and knows what previous studies says about it.

H
    1 Reply
  • Risks and assumptions are an important component of the project design. It helps anticipate factors that would offset the perfectly defined impacts of a given project. As it was defined, risks are factors that are out of our control that would distort project results while assumptions are biases we hold that are not supported by evidence. Thus accounting for these risks and assumptions would influence the decision making process thus making the project implementation more efficient.

• RISKS AND ASSUMPTIONS were articulated, i Understand

• In designing a project, I have come to a realisation that risks and assumptions can be minimised when you include the targeted group in the project design. Where you get to learn from them and what exactly they want. This would minimise assumptions alot. For example, with the MEH project, we would eliminate the assumption that the girls do not want microloans if we get to sit with them and hear from them what they really want. That will make our logframe have more realistic activities and information as opposed to not engaging with the targeted group. I also believe that it is one of the reasons why some projects are not sustainable.

• This has been quite an informative module in learning about project design. Also, risks and assumptions can literally bring down or drag a project to take long so that needs to be considered before project implementation.

• What if my assumptions are right?

• Risks are the aspects that happen in the course of the project unexpectedly or assumed to not happen. Assumptions are those aspects during a project are only believed that they will occur or not..thus no data availed to back the occurence or non-occurence of the events.

• For me, this unit is the core of the evaluation and monitoring process

• For me, this unit is the core of the evaluation and monitoring process

• Risks are the aspects that happen in the course of the project unexpectedly or assumed to not happen. Assumptions are those aspects during a project are only believed that they will occur or not..thus no data availed to back the occurence or non-occurence of the events.

• This has been quite an informative module in learning about project design. Also, risks and assumptions can literally bring down or drag a project to take long so that needs to be considered before project implementation.

• Understanding the nature of societies from a social and cultural point of view is key to the data collection process

• In this context, a risks is an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of a project goals.
    While, assumptions on the other hand is the necessary conditions that will enable the successfully completion of the project.

• Hello!
    I'm Gildas

• Risks are the things outside of your control that go your project poor quality. While, assumptions are the believe without evidence.

B
    1 Reply
  • Risks and assumptions are external factors over which the project has little control, but which may impact project activities and results. The factors are often connected to events, contexts, and/or community beliefs. Hence, there's no project void of risks and assumptions.

• Risks and assumptions are external factors over which the project has little control, but which may impact project activities and results. The factors are often connected to events, contexts, and/or community beliefs.

• my project may be faced lack of fund from the donors.
    the project may become delay for it is start because the equipment become delay.
    the government not to start at the time.
    the local people don't happy to participant for this project.

• its important to ascertain the risks and Assumptions as it helps in planning implementation of the project . it also helps in decision making. Risks are to be checked before the implantation of the project so to know before hand what are we face face during the project implementation. the same is true with assumptions as its impossible to make a good and valid decision basing o assumptions.

• i found the risks and assumption very informative and important. most of the times this issues comes expected and make the project affect it's implantation

• knowing how do we manage risks would be good too

• I am a little bid not clear with risks and assumptions. After writing out the risks and assumptions, how are we going to use them in the project?

• How does one effectively plan against the negative effects of risks on the project as identified in the log frame?

• How does one effectively plan against the negative effects of risks on the project as identified in the log frame?

• i now understand how risks and assumptions will compromise ones projects as you are basing anticipated outcomes on unproven statements that are out of your control

• I have learned that risks and assumptions are really significant to establish from the on set to help you to mitigate some potential problems that you should avoid during the project implementation. Thinking through them in stakeholder forums should be the ideal place.

• Does it mean we do pre-assessment survey? Or this issues are discussed during the theory of change?

• 1.The adolescents' early pregnancy may not be reduced
    2.The adolescents may not attend the training sessions
    Peer education may not be done as planned

1. Adolescents may not read the books given about reproductive health.
      Money may not be enough to facilitate the project.
  • Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.
    In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific level.

General risks and assumptions can be either related to the overall implementation of the Roadmap or common to all Goals included in the Roadmap. Specific risks and assumptions will be related to a concrete Activity, i.e. a particular risk that could hinder the successful implementation of a concrete Activity or an assumption that is key to the implementation of a specific Activity. For instance, a specific assumption for the Activity "establishing an Authorised Economic Operators Scheme" is that incentives granted to AEOs are enough to motivate private traders to invest in the time and resources to get the certification.

If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, a risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.
    Assumptions that were considered in the form of risks do not need to be noted again and vice-versa. Similarly, risks and assumptions that were defined at general level, do not need to be mentioned again at specific level. If resistance to change is a major risk for the overall completion of the Roadmap's Goals, it would be also risk for the different Activities considered.

• Identifying risks and assumptions serves to assess whether the Goals and Activities proposed are realistic and achievable in the given time frame and within the given available human and financial resources.
    In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.
    In order to avoid repetition and redundancy, risks and assumptions should be defined at two levels: general and specific level.

General risks and assumptions can be either related to the overall implementation of the Roadmap or common to all Goals included in the Roadmap. Specific risks and assumptions will be related to a concrete Activity, i.e. a particular risk that could hinder the successful implementation of a concrete Activity or an assumption that is key to the implementation of a specific Activity. For instance, a specific assumption for the Activity "establishing an Authorised Economic Operators Scheme" is that incentives granted to AEOs are enough to motivate private traders to invest in the time and resources to get the certification.

If described negatively, an assumption can become a risk. On the contrary, if defined in positive terms, a risk can be transformed into an assumption. Thus, it is very important to pay attention to redundancy.
    Assumptions that were considered in the form of risks do not need to be noted again and vice-versa. Similarly, risks and assumptions that were defined at general level, do not need to be mentioned again at specific level. If resistance to change is a major risk for the overall completion of the Roadmap's Goals, it would be also risk for the different Activities considered.

• It's important to consult many sources before settling for targets.

• I think once you been able to identify the negative risks and assumptions you try to avoid them as they are potential problems.

H
    1 Reply
  • I think once you been able to identify the negative risks and assumptions you try to avoid them as they are potential problems.

D
    1 Reply

W
    1 Reply
  • I think when were are able to make the assumptions, then it means we are working but with the knowledge that if the assumptions happens, then this is what we expect otherwise we expect a different result.

• I have really learned more important topics (Risks and Assumptions) of a project. I have always looked at assumptions only while designing a project logframe. It is a such pleasure that i have mapped out how risks and assumptions are important for project design.

• Risks and assumptions are awake up call for project design. It tells you not to just look at what you have control on, but also look at other factors that you do not have control on and how these factors can affect both positively and negatively the project success.

• Actually you get a solutions for them

• In recent times, most project fails because they fail to appreciate the risk s and assumptions that will cause problems during the execution of their activities. Project without risks and assumptions may not success in its impact to the society. It is therefore important that all risks and assumptions are consider and checkmated in other to succeed.

• In recent times, most project fails because they fail to appreciate the risk s and assumptions that will cause problems during the execution of their activities. Project without risks and assumptions may not success in its impact to the society. It is therefore important that all risks and assumptions are consider and checkmated in other to succeed.

• Risk and assumptions.
    In my country Zambia in Africa, much of the energy comes from charcoal which is made by cutting down fresh growing trees. The preferred trees are indigenous grown trees.
    My risk and assumptions are:
    Impact:
    The indigenous trees are not saved from cutting down.
    Outcome.
    The people sold their gas stoves due to poverty.
    The citizens resist to change using wood and charcoal for cooking.
    Output:
    The gas stoves are not given to the intended population target.
    Input:
    The money is misappropriated to other rising matters

• I think it is good to anticipate and provide solutions to risks. Such as setting your target at the mid-line in other not to overwhelm/disappoint your team and sponsors on the project.

• Risks and assumptions are such a great too for dealing with biases as without a careful look these risks and assumptions may work against the goals of any project.

• The two primary attributes of a risk are the probability of it happening and the impact that is negative or positive that it might have on a project. Assumptions are factors that, for planning purposes, are considered to be true, real, or certain without proof or demonstration

• I cannot see the prompt to this topic

• Risks are things that you think might hurt your project in a sense of either delaying you to reach your project goals or even preventing you from achieving your intended goals.

Assumptions are things that you think might affecting your project positively and even negatively.

O
    1 Reply
  • Risk and assumption are very important for project management. it's important to get a good date for a good M&E planning

P
    1 Reply
  • Is it a must on every logframe to to put assumptions and risks of your project?

O
    1 Reply
  • I can't see the prompt for this topic

• RISKS are the things that is beyond the project managers control that might disrupt the plans of the project along the way. Assumptions are the biases of the project manager or the things that the manager believes without much evidence to support the belief. Risks and assumptions are very important because they can forecast the future of events and aid in proper decision making at the right time.

• Risk or assumption is a critical aspect of project design since it makes provisions for precautions in the project. For example if I have a target of testing 1000 pregnant women for hepatitis B virus. Because I have enough testing kits and enough workers to do the job, I should not be free to declare that the job is done. This is because alot of factors may come into play that may lead to not testing upto 1000 pregnant women. Factors like religious beliefs, fear of the unknown, and unwillingness to take the test.

• A log frame is a brief document that explains the important characteristics that lead to a project's success. The 4th column is very important, and outlines the risks and assumptions that need to hold true for that particular activity, output or outcome to occur.
    An assumption is a positive statement of a condition that must be met for the project's objectives to be achieved. Some assumptions relate to activities in other projects.
    Risks are unrealized assumptions which might become a threat to the project's implementations.Some of the risks that might affect the implementation of the projects includes;financial,legal,social,tecnical risks etc.
    The M&E managers are supposed to come up with risks mitigation measures that for continuation of the project in case of the risks.

• Can anyone give me some lead regarding formative research?

• This module shows how significant it is to work on Risks and assumptions before and during project designing and M & E planning.

• It is very important to consider risks and assumptions during designing log-frames. But I wonder, are risks and assumptions mutually exclusive? should we put both or one is enough in the log-frame.

• I understand. but my question is, is assuming one of them (risk or assumption) is enough to complete the log frame? or should we consider both?

O
    1 Reply
  • Beneficiaries might not have the basics entrepreneurs skills
    Might not want to learn new skills
    Not interested in the training
    Not having enough number or knowledge expertise (trainers)

• Risks and assumptions are critical in project implementation such that may help you to overcome unforeseen circumstance that will likely disrupt the objectives that have set aside whilst assumptions are statements that lack evidence but very critical in dealing with risks that one can anticipate during project implementation. For example, one could be implementing a nutrition emphasizing on supplementing with underweight children with therapeutic foods and one risk could that there can be stock of the therapeutic foods can run out. With this risk project implementers will plan on how to ensure constant supply of therapeutic foods.

• I don't see a question here.

• The hypotheses are in a way our compass that allows us to check at the end of our program if the expected result is reached

• 1)It helps to track the progress of the project

1. It helps to assess the impact of the project to the beneficiaries, community and other stakeholders
      3)It helps to detect the mistakes and enable to correct them before they become so worse,
    2. It helps to make comparisons between what is being implemented/achieved and what have been planned for effective and efficient resources utilization as well as time management.

After analytically read the notes regarding the importance of an M&E, I clearly find that its importance can be explained in the following reasons:

-It helps to assess if the implementation of the activities has been in conformity with the plans and budgets, assess what have been challenges, what re the lessons learnt, what is the impact of the project and what is the way forward after the project phase out.

W
    1 Reply
  • I don't see a question here.

• All things that might disrupt the plan, meaning that risks are the things outside of your control while assumptions are biases that someone believe without much evidence.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions before the project starts

• Yes, I agree with you. It is that.

• As much as input is important during project then risk and assumptions should also be considered important. Taking risks and assumptions into consideration during a project gives the organisation an alternative root to take.

• Very necessary

• Is someone there?

• In each project, there should be an expected risks, but the ones who don't expect are the ones that are the most challenging.

• Risks and assumptions need to be highly considered as they constitute as elements or aspects that can ruin or demolish a project. It important to draw up possible risks and assumptions. This furthermore allows the company or organization responsible for the project can be prepared to take on such challenges in order for the success of the project at large.

• Risks and assumptions are important elements to consider when developing a project's logical framework. They make it possible to anticipate solutions to any problems that may arise in the execution of the project.

H
    1 Reply
  • I was a little bit confused as to which information to put in the risk/assumption column: the risks or the assumptions. In previous instances, I see people write the assumptions and follow the logic of, for example, if the activity is done and the assumption holds true, then the output will be achieved. However, in this course work the risks are written in the risk/assumption column. I have come to understand that the assumptions are the opposite of the risks and vice-versa. So from the risks provided, you can tell what the assumption for that level is and vice-versa, and as such any one of them can be written in that column.

• The Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan. Meanwhile Assumptions are your biases: the things that you believe without much evidence.

H
    1 Reply
  • I was a little bit confused as to which information to put in the risk/assumption column: the risks or the assumptions. In previous instances, I see people write the assumptions and follow the logic of, for example, if the activity is done and the assumption holds true, then the output will be achieved. However, in this course work the risks are written in the risk/assumption column. I have come to understand that the assumptions are the opposite of the risks and vice-versa. So from the risks provided, you can tell what the assumption for that level is and vice-versa, and as such any one of them can be written in that column.

• Sometimes you will be able to, but some risks are unavoidable. This may make or break the reality of the program's existence.

• Knowing or identifying risks and assumptions is very important for an M&E expert.This helps to prepare and formulate strategies to address them.I believe that if risks and assumptions are not addressed then the project is bound to fail.It is therefore mportant to identify and confront risks and assumptions for the success of the project.

• Thank you very much for this module on risk and assumption. With this in mind, failure to identify risks and assumptions before and during the planning phase of the project is closer to planning to fail.
    I have a small concern, please. When we attribute targets and budgets to activities in our logframes, are we also supposed to budget for the money we might use to mitigate risks during the implementation of our project?. Given the fact that some unforeseen circumstances might arise and requires some money

• Identifying risks and assumptions helps us to deal with them.Risks and assumptions are a threat to any project. Dealing with them is always the best to ensure progress.

• Powerful point,i agree

• Important points,i agree

• Very powerful points,i will take that into consideration before embarking on any project.

• risk and assumption are very key to the development of project.

• Risk and Assumptions are very important as they can prime one up to look at certain factors that may affect the logical flow during project implementation. They provide light on areas that may be overlook such as culture, perception etc

• Identifying risks is a very important aspect of the project that helps the project prevent loopholes while identifying assumptions helps us deal with natural biases the project implementers might have.

• MEH project faces a number of risks. These might include people not taking loans or taking them and misusing them. There is also no guarantee that the project's desired impact will be achieved even if funds are taken and used correctly!

O
    1 Reply
  • I really found this section of "Risk and Assumption" useful for I learned how to identify possible risks that might distrupt my project ;and by so doing, I can be able to provide alternatives to the possible risks with a view to have a successful project.
    Thank you.

• Is it possible for a project not to have a risk, there might be assumptions.

P
    R
    2 Replies
  • Risk and assumptions in planning an M and E are the benefits of doubt that you give to the success of a project, they answer the question "what if it doesn't? They are the probability of the project not succeeding.
    To me I think risk and assumption can help me identify how to handle my project when it comes to the worst case scenario, it will also help me identify the probability of the project success,in case of many risks the that wont be the best project .

• This is a very important part of a project because it acts as a guide to a successful project, see in everything it is ideal to always do cost benefit analysis, find if the achievement will be greater than the losses then it is something worth spending energy on.

• You are right

• And due to their failing business they might hinder the project, they won't be able to repay their loans back.the project will fail

• Studying the understanding of unexpected events, assuming events from within us and presenting them to the beneficiaries to see if it is possible and anticipating any emergency circumstance, whatever its impact on the mechanism of the project’s progress

• Risks and assumptions are a critical part of the logframe as they help the team to envisage drawbacks that can delay or even affect the successful implementation of the project and strategically plan ways to overcome them.

• a good realization for the project that you are doing.

• Often times the risk as perceived in a planned project is worth adjusting the entire log frame, from inputs(when your promising source is affected or reduced), the output is affected as it will no longer come out as expected and to the rest of the stages. As one leads to another. I am just getting to know that now. thank for the knowledge gained thus far

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.