Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• risks are factors that can hinder success of the project
    assumptions are biases not suppoerted by any data or fact

• This module on project design has been an eye opener. I loved the lessons on risks and assumptions and how important it is to avoid biases.

• Can someone continue the project when he/ she has I dentified some risk?? Or she / he has to first look for the ways to control all of them first?

S
    1 Reply
  • making assumptions about risks and challenges will helps us to be armed to prevent those risks

• This teaching thus far is really eye opening, I've come to discover that virtually everything we do in life is a project, and I wished I learnt this early enough, and if we could build our lives on this knowledge it will be really progressive,
    In projects, risks are always available, but I wished there could be more insight on the level of risks, are they really anything as such? Like high level risk or low level?
    So many factors will always be out of our control, despite our best efforts to capture them, like in Nigeria, the recent flooding in several states, which am sure most have adversely affected countless projects
    On assumptions I'll say look for evidences as much as possible

• making assumptions about risks and challenges will helps us to be armed to prevent those risks

• Assumptions is an advanced level of expecting challenges and thinking out of the box.

M
    1 Reply
  • yes. sometimes it works.
    sometimes risks are out of control

• Risks are events or factors outside our control that may have a negative impact on the project or the project to perform poorly. For examples social, political, financial, environmental, legal etc.
    Assumptions are things we believe but there are no supporting evidence, it describes events, situations, conditions or decision that which are key and necessary for the success of thee project but which is mainly out of control of project management.
    In the logframe, the risks and assumptions column is the fourth. The column lists
    all the things that may likely disrupt the, hence for each level of the logframe (impact, outcome, output and input) one must "what could possibly go wrong?" "Is there anything that one can do to mitigate this"

• I quite agree with you.

• Good M&E planning is the root of the whole project,M&E should be prioritize in all projects.

• Risks and assumptions are unforeseeable circumstances that can affect the results of a project. Estimating risks and assumptions helps reduce biases. Having risks and assumptions formulated before and during the project implementation help limit waste of time and resources on a project.

• Risks and assumptions are unforeseeable circumstances that can affect the results of a project. Estimating risks and assumptions helps reduce biases. Having risks and assumptions formulated before and during the project implementation help limit waste of time and resources on a project.

• Risks and assumptions are factors that u foresee possibly occurring that impede the project from reaching its goal or end result as an organization

• Most of the Risk and assumptions are pre listed during the early phases of the project, not all listed risks and assumptions can be faced during program implementation but that doesn't eliminate the fact that other risks and assumptions that were not prepared can not arise. In projects we always have to accept that risks can not always be planned and documented in the log frame

• This module was very exciting and help full for me.

• Log frame is a tool for project design
    This module is so helpful and exciting for me

• There several reasons why women cannot start their own business one of the basic is that the culture of the locals might be not ready for such method because of the local culture and some strictness in the local area that is many educated women form from third world rather migrate to west and start independence life

• We are saying that assumptions can be based on previous experiences and knowledge. If they are wrong, then a project can be seriously affected. This can lead to delays or failure. The assumptions can be made on costs, resources environment and beneficiaries behavior.
    Risks to any project depends on assumptions which will impact the project. Risks can be either positive or negative.
    Risks can affect schedules, costs and overall project performance.

• There several reasons why women cannot start their own business one of the basic is that the culture of the locals might be not ready for such method because of the local culture and some strictness in the local area that is many educated women form from third world rather migrate to west and start independence life

• Risk is the problem that occurs during a project activity that is beyond our control. This might be as result of external factors such non compliance as well as shortage of funds form the donors.

Assumptions on the other hand are the biases experienced by targeted group as a result of the researcher being alianated with a particular group.

Risk are the external technicalities of the project that results from the other factors not in the project.The risks are
    beyond our control.

Assumptions are the caused by the project.it is the internal factors of the project.

• Risks are the things outside of one’s control that might disrupt the plan. Whereas, Assumptions are one’s biases: the things that someone believe without much evidence.

• Risks are the things outside of one’s control that might disrupt the plan. Whereas, Assumptions are one’s biases: the things that someone believe without much evidence

• Risk are possible occurrence that could hinder the achievement or slow down project impacts while assumptions could be positive or negative thoughts made towards the project.

• Risks and assumptions are subject to be identified clearly and carefully during the project formulations phases and if additional potential risks are expected during the feasibility study, it is modifiable.

• The risks and assumptions of a logical framework lists all the elements that could disrupt our plan. For each level of your logical framework – inputs, outputs, outcomes and impact – we ask ourselves: what could go wrong? Is there anything that would prevent us from providing the inputs? And, if we provide the inputs, are we sure that it will lead to the outputs?

• Risks and assumptions :are external factors over which the project has little control, but which may impact project activities and results. The factors are often connected to events, contexts, and/or community beliefs. Identifying risks and assumptions helps an organization prepare for potential challenges in meeting the program goal as well as determining if a program redesign would be beneficial. For example, if an assumption highlights that a community may be unwilling to accept the activity, it may be necessary to redesign the program or first add additional activities that will build community support.

• The risks and assumptions of a logical framework lists all the elements that could disrupt our plan. For each level of your logical framework – inputs, outputs, outcomes and impact – we ask ourselves: what could go wrong? Is there anything that would prevent us from providing the inputs? And, if we provide the inputs, are we sure that it will lead to the outputs?

• Risks and assumptions :are external factors over which the project has little control, but which may impact project activities and results. The factors are often connected to events, contexts, and/or community beliefs. Identifying risks and assumptions helps an organization prepare for potential challenges in meeting the program goal as well as determining if a program redesign would be beneficial. For example, if an assumption highlights that a community may be unwilling to accept the activity, it may be necessary to redesign the program or first add additional activities that will build community support.
    Data management is the practice of ingesting, processing, securing and storing an organization’s data, where it is then utilized for strategic decision-making to improve business outcome

• a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity

• Les risques et hypothèses sont générés dans le sens de faire ressortir les interrogations sur un projet; Dans le pis le but d'"éviter un échec du ^~projet~~.

• Before taking this course, I never heard about the terms Risks ans Assumption in an M&E. This Module 2 on "Risks and Assumptions" was very helpful for me in the way that it gave me an idea of what may be the concrete examples of risks and assumptions that may hamper the smooth running of a project. And that these risks ans assumptions could not be ignored if we want to each our goals.

• These are negative things that we think might affect/ come up during the the project

• The Risks and Assumptions column is the fourth column of the logical framework. The assumptions describe the situations, events, conditions or decisions
    • Risks
    Factors outside of your control that could cause your project to go poorly. Examples include:
    • participants may not be able to get to the workshop
    • funds intended for the project may be taken by government officials
    • Assumptions
    Things that you believe but that are not supported by evidence. Examples include:
    • participants will be allowed to join this activity
    • participants who have learned financial skills will want to save money

T
    1 Reply
  • A risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity

• It is important to plan for risks and assumptions ahead of time so that
    you can understand events and conditions that are unforeseeable
    that might affect your implementation, therefore giving you enough time to make
    decisions at the right time.

• This model was very interesting and meaning full

• Yes this model was very interesting and meaning full

• We are always limited by assumptions that we make even though they are in good faith. We want the project to work and so we make these assumptions in the hopes that it will turn out as we want. But researching for evidence is important. I think Nope's approach of checking with the community for risks and assumptions then adjusting the project activities is very effective.

• Is it okay to ask beneficiaries on some of the limiting factors and consider those risks?

• Is it okay to ask beneficiaries on some of the limiting factors and consider those risks?

• These are negative things that we think might affect/ come up during the the project implementation

• These are negative things that we think might affect/ come up during the the project implementation

• yes, it can as long as you know the short and long term goals of your project

• Je Prends un exemple banale de risques et d'hypothèses. Je peux investir mais, perdre, cela est un risque. Ma perte est dûe au faite que mon investissement était mal canalisé. Si j'avais bien canalisé l'investissement, je n'allais pas perdre, cela est une hypothèse.

• Parlant de l'exemple de la création du projet pour décrocher un nouvel emploi. J'aimerais savoir les risques et hypothèses de ce projet.

• So far, I learned how important it is to identify risks and assumptions during the planning phase.

• It is important to identify risks and assumptions before project initiation

• Project risks and assumptions should be detected/identified before project initiation to prevent any barrier during execution process. To do this, the individual or project organization take into consideration the following factors; culture of people, stakeholder engagement, project adoption process, sustainability (social, economic and environment)

• Risks are uncertainty that may or may not occur during different stages of your project. For example if you’re managing project about food security missing rain can be big blow to your plan and project on the other hand assumptions is your own biases judgment or beliefs about something that you have no evidence to support for example you may assume that your project will nt succeed in certain area although you never tested your assumptions

• As per my understanding, I would like to say that An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like, whereas on the other hand A risk is an assumption with a higher level of failure. It is an event that could happen with a notable probability and could affect the outcome of your project substantially.

M
    1 Reply
  • I think it is important to identify risks and assumptions before beginning a project. This way, our own biases can get out of the way when trying to create an effective project and to improve its implementation.

• I agree with you

• I think this is a great explanation!

• Risk and assumptions are possible obstructions that will prevent you from achieving the desire output. Even though it negative in some way it actually help the project to achieve the desired out .This assist know the potential obstacles that are out of our control. Knowing the obstacles will immersively help help the project design. The risk and assumptions are usually questions that monitoring and evaluation expert ask stakeholders and beneficiaries to make an informed decision about the project.

• There are always risks and assumptions to any activity, I think a way to handle those issues is to plan ahead. A conscious and reflective thinking could help a lot for that purpose, and also if you have on hand other examples of risks and assumptions related with your project.

• There are always risks and assumptions to any activity, I think a way to handle those issues is to plan ahead. A conscious and reflective thinking could help a lot for that purpose, and also if you have on hand other examples of risks and assumptions related with your project.

• The external positive factors which will affect our project positively, it is called Assumptions.
    Then external negative factors which will affect our project negatively, it is called Risks.

L
    1 Reply
  • Risks are the things that happen during the entire project and are out of the expert's control, they are issues that might arise and affect the project negatively. Risks if planned well allows the project to flow progressively with minimal problems.
    Assumptions are the biases that arise during the study or rather the project, they are based on zero evidence.

• a risk an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• I really liked the idea of idetifying risks and assumptions at the begining , which will help us to take the consideration during the project implementation phase. I was not aware that those assumptions should be linked with an evidence (research findings or leasons from other projects).

N
    1 Reply
  • Risks and assumptions are events are out of control of the exports

• En quoi les risques et hypothèses peuvent-ils entraver le bon fonctionnement d'un projet ?

• risk and assumptions must be careful analysed to ensure we have good conditions to implement the project

• In Risk and Assumption, is it always good to have a positive risk or Assumption?

• The assumptions explain the circumstances, occurrences, conditions, or choices necessary for the project's success but that are mainly or entirely outside the management team's control. Events that could negatively affect the project are referred to as risks.

• Putting Risks and assumption will help us to manage the external factors that will impact our project and put a remedial measures

• i think this module discussion is really helpful

• Risk are the factors that might make the project fail that we have no control over.
    Assumptions are thongs we believe about the project that are not supported by any data.
    Its important to know the risk and assumption before the project start to be able to reduce the risk and also make better decisions

• One way to identify important assumptions is to perform a risk assessment and look at all the low-risk items. Most of these low risks are not worth mentioning, but some will have significant implications if events do not turn out as you think. These are the ones that you can document as assumptions. And, It is the good to me for the learning of new things from this course. Thank you.

J
    1 Reply
  • Identifying risks and assumptions is key to avoid being caught unaware. It helps prepare for any unforeseen factors in a project

• Risks are factors that are out of your control and have the potential to interrupt your project activities, outcomes and ultimate goal/result. Assumptions are beliefs unsupported by evidence, hence are subjective and biased.

• unrealistic target are those not achievable because they are not guided by the baseline or any prior information

• Les risques et hypothèses L’identification des risques et hypothèses permet d’évaluer si les objectifs et les activités proposés sont réalistes et réalisables dans un laps de temps donné et à l’appui des ressources humaines et financières en présence.

• The assumptions describe the situations, events, conditions or decisions which are necessary for the success of the project, but which are largely or completely beyond the control of the project's management. Risks are events that may have a negative impact on the project. The Risks and Assumptions are very important in the design phase of monitoring and evaluation

• Interesting module

• Once data is gathered and analyzed, it must be reported to the relevant members as regularly as possible to discuss and interpret findings.
    The intention of reporting should always be to provide clarity on the most up-to-date results to staff members and stakeholders about the progress, success, and failure of the project to help them make data-driven decisions for modifications of project components and to develop future work plans as necessary.
    Also, data must be reported so that it can increase knowledge and make contributions to the related field for future projects and practices to be more effective.

• Risks are external factors that can hinder the project objective from being achieved while assumptions are beliefs that has no evidence that is thay are not fact.

risk can arise from any part of the project whether from the input stage or the imapct stage.

• Risks are uncertainties that may hinder the progress of the the project or disrupt the goal of the project from being achieved. These uncertainties can arise or be considered at any point are crucial to achieving the objective.
    Assumptions are usually the beliefs of people about the project outcome not supported by facts

• Identifying risks and assumptions is a key part in project design? What do you all think!

• Every project will always have risks, identifying the risks and finding solutions beforehand helps the project to develop good a contingency plan

• Recording of risks is an important part of the project plan

• There is the need to thoroughly explore, identify and examine all risks and assumptions in the early stages of project design.

• Identifying risks and assumptions is very necessary and will help overcome possible recurring frustration due to inability to achieve expected outcomes which subsequently will lead to the success of project goal

• Does each level/ step of logframe (impact, activities, outcomes) necessarily require risks and assumptions to ensure a successful project design?

• The Risks and Assumptions column is the fourth column of the logical framework. The assumptions describe the situations, events, conditions or decisions which are necessary for the success of the project, but which are largely or completely beyond the control of the project's management. Risks are events that may have a negative impact on the project.

• Risks and Assumptions explore extensively Dr Edward de Bono's black thinking hat. It is a powerful tool for project implementation because of its proactive nature. I have learned from NOPE that risks and assumptions will help one to understand events and conditions that are unforeseeable and might affect implementation. Therefore, it gives time to make decisions at the right time.

• Les risques et les hypothèses sont des éléments qui interviennent dans votre projet indépendamment de votre volonté

• It’s interesting to realize that much of your projects are based on risks and assumptions that we might not have control of. In this context of uncertainties, planning what we can is even more important to minimize risks and guarantee that our projects will have enough solid bases to go forward.

• Risk And Assumptions Are Keys to project design which help you identify the possibilities of what will fail your project

• For the success of a project, it is important to work out the potential risks and assumptions at the project design level. There are some elements and situations which are out of control but prior work can enable us to mitigate the effects of such situations.

• Risks and Assumptions are possible assumption that can validate the exitance of the project. And risks are those factors that can affect the success of the project.

• Risks and Assumptions are external factors over which project has little control, but which may impact project results.
    for example looking at MEH project
    Girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses or girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture and or girls might not know how to start or upgrade businesses.

My project title is Improvement of Cassava Production and Returns
    and the goal is to maximize cassava production and profit of Tukombo EPA cassava farmers in order to improve their economic well-being.
    Below are the risk and assumptions under impact
    No natural calamities in the locality that affect the enterprises
    No theft in the community
    No major change in the Government policies that govern the NGO operations and rural markets.

• In preparing monitoring and evaluation, are assumptions and risks important?

• i agree with you

• est ce qu'on peut formuler des hypothèses négatives

• In a project management language, an assumption is an “event” with a probability of over 50%. If the probability of the event is also less than 100%, it is a risk!!!

An assumption is something that you assume to be the case, even without proof.

While there is a clear relationship between assumptions and risks, they have different point of view:

If the risk event happens then, the project is affected.
    If the assumption event doesn’t happen, then the project is affected.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.