Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• While their could be many ways of data management. The following 4 steps could be very useful to consider
    STEP 1: DATA COLLECTION
    STEP 2: DATA ENTRY AND COLLATION
    STEP 3: DATA ANALYSIS, VERIFICATION, AND STORAGE
    OSTEP 4: DATA USE

• **** key data management questions to ask****

1. How often do you review your database to look for errors or incomplete records?
    2. Is your product compatible with my existing infrastructure?
    3. Does your solution automate the connection of data from external sources?
    4. Do you integrate with big data sources?
    5. Does the tool offer built in analytics?
    6. What is your main area of focus?
    A
    1 Reply
  • I learnt a lot of knowledge on this module and so very thanks to you.

1 Reply
  • Thanks for this Module, it is very helpful and provides more insights on data Managements, which allow projects staffs to shared specific roles and responsibilities in data collection, analysis and reporting

• Thanks for this Module, it is very helpful and provides more insights on data Managements, which allow projects staffs to shared specific roles and responsibilities in data collection, analysis and reporting

• The data management is the process of collecting data through survay, interview, Primary and Secondary data collection. It is further about storing the data

• Data management happens to be way more comprehensive than I previously thought it to be. As well as way more structured in its approach. I feel this will make me more responsible with data planning and its management as well. No longer giving it a cusory look and assuming analysis is all there is and writing the report.

• You have summed it up well Habib, "Data Management is the backbone of the project and monitoring and evaluation process" indeed. I appreciate why just having an M&E process is not enough if the data management is not thoughtfully planned and executed to boot.

• The module is indeed insightful. Never expected to pick up much here considering am familiar with data and its management. Or so I thought. I have been humbled and equally schooled that there is a lot more out there than what I imagined.

• Yea, it all starts from the very begining, its a whole process. I never considered the participants list to be part of data management. It was a whole suprise that things we gave cusory attention actually do count the most. Poorly managed from the start, data gathered or collated later would give unrealistic results. I have a new respect for the whole process.

• Amazingly simple things to do adding professionalism to our work and hightening the credibility of the outcomes as well. Tops it up with accountability that comes from the responsibility chain of data flow. Every one knows where they stand and makes for better communication down and up the chain. It is amzing indeed what this module has unveiled and there is more to come when all's put together.
    Thanks you PHILANTHROPY UNIVERSITY ...

• Most data management questions are answered in the management process .Data entry ,data analysis ,data storage ,verification and use .

E
    1 Reply
  • What are the challenges an organization is likely to face while managing data?

• Could the data management process have less than four steps?

P
    E
    2 Replies
  • This is a particularly helpful section since it forces the project manager to think ahead and plan the work for M&E. In my experience, most effort is aimed at implementing the project, leaving the data collection and analysis to a later reporting stage. By that time, a number of problems in the design of the indicators may become apparent but cannot be changed if the donors do not agree. A further problem, not discussed in this course, is that donors and implementing organizations may have differing definitions of outputs, outcomes and impacts, which can lead to serious arguments over the actual results. The frequency of data collection is also important to agree upon at the outset. I have seen projects where the project staff spend so much time collecting, analyzing and reporting data to donors, that they are unable to properly manage the implementation of a project. A data collection flow chart as suggested here can facilitate agreement on project responsibilities at the outset, avoiding problems further down the road.

• This sounds like poor management. Complaints over management need to reach the top leadership, or at least staff representatives. Many managers, particularly those appointed for political reasons, cannot manage. Courses on management and certification should be required, especially for external hires of people who have never done the job before.

M
    1 Reply
  • data management requires a set structure to approach

• Defining roles and responsibilities is very important to implement a good data management process.

• Yes, that's right!

• Data management is the practice of collecting, keeping, and using data securely, efficiently, and cost-effectively. Managing digital data in an organization involves a broad range of tasks, policies, procedures, and practices.

• Data management is the process of ingesting, storing, organizing and maintaining the data created and collected by an organization. Effective data management is a crucial piece of deploying the IT systems that run business applications and provide analytical information to help drive operational decision-making and strategic planning by corporate executives, business managers and other end users.

• Data flow map helps to visualize your project data management processes. From data collection tools to data use, many roles and responsibilities may occur. Therefore, a well created data flow map clearly describes how data will be collected, who is responsible and their use.

• Data management is the practice of collecting, keeping, and using data securely, efficiently, and cost-effectively. Managing digital data in an organization involves a broad range of tasks, policies, procedures, and practices.

• Data management its a process of collecting acquiring validating and archiving protecting and processing that required data to ensure the accessibility, reliability, and timeliness of the data for its users.

• why is data management so important

• Data management is also important for reporting

• Great to learn data flow

• Data is a set of or collection of names, numbers, figures, that convey some information. It can be about anything. A data is made based on observations, research or analysis. We can record and organize data in different forms such as tables, charts, pictures, graphs,

• la gestion des données est une etape importante sur le système de suivi evaluation

• la gestion des données est une etape importante sur le système de suivi evaluation

• Data management Questions:
    Data management refers to all processes for collecting, storing, organizing, accessing, analyzing and using data.
    Hence data management questions are derived from the above definition.
    Data collection:

1. Who is responsible for data collection?
    2. Who is for ensuring data quality?
      Data entry and collation
    3. Who is responsible for responsible for entering and collating data.
      Data analysis, verification, and storage
    4. Who will analyze the data?
    5. How often will data be verified and by who?
    6. Who will decide what data gets archived after the project finishes?
      Use Data
    7. Who will prepare reports?
    8. who will send reports?
    9. Who will prepare other data products, such as monthly data summaries ?
    10. Who will use data to make project decisions?
  • Data management questions are important to ask because it helps n organization come up with a structure on how data will be collected and managed at every level. It also indicates the roles and responsibilities that parties will play in the data management process. Makes it efficient.

• Can one person do all the roles?

K
    1 Reply
  • I think it depends on an organization.

• I guess there are data flow map templates out there for quick download and use, but it's such a fulfilling feeling to be able to draft the map by oneself! The challenge still lies in adequately identifying and completely capturing thevarious roles and duties of those involved in a project though.

• I think it's the job of the project manager, vested with interpersonal skills, to resolve conflicts in teams. It's his/her role to clearly define the roles and responsibilities, and assign them appropriately to the team members, being guided by each member's skills and competency.

• which are the best data storage softwares?

• which are the best data storage softwares?

• Without proper data management and tools used to monitor collect and evaluate data will be not respected enough.

• A database management system is a software package designed to define, manipulate, retrieve and manage data in a database. and some examples include MySQL, microsoft SQL sever FileMaker pro, oracle database and dBASE

• Data increasingly is seen as a corporate asset that can be used to make more-informed business decisions, improve marketing campaigns, optimize business operations and reduce costs, all with the goal of increasing revenue and profits. But a lack of proper data management can saddle organizations with incompatible data silos, inconsistent data sets and data quality problems that limit their ability to run business intelligence (BI) and analytics applications -- or, worse, lead to faulty findings.

Data management has also grown in importance as businesses are subjected to an increasing number of regulatory compliance requirements, including data privacy and protection laws such as GDPR and the California Consumer Privacy Act. In addition, companies are capturing ever-larger volumes of data and a wider variety of data types, both hallmarks of the big data systems many have deployed. Without good data management, such environments can become unwieldy and hard to navigate.

• What is the relationship between data management processes and an M&E plan?

• La gestion des données est important pour la prise de décision ,d'évaluation et le suivi de l'atteinte des indicateurs du projet.

• Data management questions tend to answer the questions of how data are collected, what data are collected , who collect them and how they are used as well as the processes they undergo moving from one stage to the other in the data flow map and as well as the roles and responsibilities assigned to individuals handling them at every stage to ensure that relevant information desired are what are obtained in the life cycle of a project to ensure adequate and effective M&E that will lead to effective project execution.

• Beyond reporting to donors, at what point is the data used?

How different is data flow plan of dissemination plan?

• I would like to have answers to your questions too.

• what are the systems that are used to code data?

its immportant to capture data well and carefully to avoid being biased

• Data management question ? Who and who will be able to do a great job

• we collect all data from community and school and if we not store and manage it probably it was vanish. manage the data is a process to store it for the future plan use for any other project by do some changes.use right tool to manage data safly.

• What level of data security do I need?
    What kind of data do I need to analyze?
    Cloud, on-prem, or both?
    Which use cases do I need to focus on? What will the impact look like?
    Will data management help me maintain compliance?

T
    1 Reply
    Cloud, on-prem, or both?

Cloud, on-prem, or both?

• This has been a nice module too. Data flow map saves way a lot because you know how data will be collected and by whom. Who will be involved in the entire process of data management.

• This maybe a little tricky. Unless when your project is working on data which is already collected and want to make decision on that existing data. I believe to some projects the steps may even exceed the four we have herein.

• Data Management processes are the heartbeat of a project and often times this department is underrated by Senior Management and the Board.
    The processes have detailed components like Data security and Data Analysis that could be related to IT or particular staff with the skills sets to execute those responsibilities ( Statisticians).

• The module explained more and very help in data management which the greatest challenges I have face in my working field, in most cases everybody require information from you but this module help a lot to gain knowledge on how to best manage data that can be effective for the safety of the program and the beneficiaries.

May you add more coverage of modules in near future.

• To help in evaluating prospective data management, we can also include four (4) more questions;

1. What level of data security do I need?

2. What kind of data do I need to analyze?

3. Which use cases do I need to focus on? What will the impact look like?

4. Will data management help me maintain compliance?

• Creating data flow map is not an easy task. Right? Particularly identifying who will do each task. I have come to learn that it is significantly important to understand each step of data management processes.

• This is quite right. politician will always find a way to interfere with good projects.

• Data management process is a rigorous process yet so important. This process should be given the attention it deserves.

• Data management and flow should be done properly for a better result.

• Data management and flow should be done properly for a better result.

• A clear data flow provides clear and simple map to follow in data management stages. This include division of responsibilities and role among M&E team.

• A clear data flow provides clear and simple map to follow in data management stages. This include division of responsibilities and role among M&E team.

• The data management process can ensure that enough human resources and finance is well planned in advance so that, the organization can collect, enter, clean and analyzed, reporting and disseminate the data for better decision

• Data management has a crucial role in design, implementation and M&E phases of the project. But the most important thing is to ask right questions and to use right data in answering these questions in M&E in order to reach the targets of the project

• Data collection and analysis is an ongoing process in a long-term project (5 years in my case). You should be learning and adapting the project, based on what the data is telling you.

• Ester, one person could do all the roles in a smaller project, as long as they have the skills to do so.

• sjniijaijqwjkamldmsiodmsim

• sjniijaijqwjkamldmsiodmsim

• Data increasingly is seen as a corporate asset that can be used to make more-informed project decisions, improve progress towards targets, optimize outputs and outcomes, all with the goal of reaching intended indicator

• the most important step is how to use the data during the project ,collection the data and use ,to get a good decisions and to improve the activities

1. What is your data?

Quantitative, qualitative, spatial, text, video, physical object, ???
    Will the dataset(s) grow over time?
    What tools or software are needed to create & use the data?

1. How will you document and describe the data?

Methodology
    Field names, data identifiers, metadata
    Naming conventions

1. Does the data need to be protected?

Participant/human subject privacy
    Intellectual property
    Anonymization

1. Will you share your data with others?

Expectation of funding agency
    Open access
    Journal citation

1. How will you store and access the data over the short- and long-term?

How long?
    What file formats?
    Hosting site?

• there many data management tools and collecte

• In this section, I have seen that data management flow, taht the data collected must enter into a system, analyzed, develop insights and communicate to donors, directors etc. I have also seen a data flow map that enables me to see who collects the data and sources, and how it is communicated through the responsbility echelon of the project.

• it was a little simple and i can not catch enough.

• data management is very important part of M&E plan.

I
    1 Reply
  • In this section, I have seen that data management flow, taht the data collected must enter into a system, analyzed, develop insights and communicate to donors, directors etc. I have also seen a data flow map that enables me to see who collects the data and sources, and how it is communicated through the responsbility echelon of the project.

• Data management questions are playing a vital role in data collection methods because they could help the data collector or surveyor clearly and critically know the data to use.

• Data Management is a vital component as it describes roles and responsibilities of various players as well as how the data generated can be used. An example is the COVID-19 Surveillance project that monitors trends of COVID-19 pandemic to inform policy on interventions. The data for all confirmed COVID-19 cases is collected in the testing labs by the lab technicians by using the case-based surveillance forms. This data is entered into an excel spreadsheet by data entry clerks who then submit the data to the HMIS officer for cleaning and analysis. The analyzed data is then shared to the donor community, Public Health Institute of Malawi to decide on what interventions can be deployed in order to control the pandemic in the country.

• The data flow map is very helpful in assigning roles and establishing responsibilities. Very insightful this module

• Data management is another step which every organization or individual wishing to have data.
    In this data management there are various steps namely; data collection, data entry and collation, data analysis, verification and storage and lastly data use.

1. Data collection- in this step date is collected from the indented population type using data collection methods and data collection tools.
    2. Data entry and collation- after the data is collected, it is entered into data system and similar data grouped (collation).
    3. Data analysis, verification and storage-the data in the database is analyzed and verified if its correct data. Data is then stored (archiving) for either future refence or any other use.
    4. Data use- this is where we have creation of reports, communicating the outcomes to the community and also making of project management decisions.
  • How often do you review your database to look for errors or incomplete records?
    who has access to sensitive customer information?

• Hello how are you

• Data management is a process of collecting, storing, organizing, accessing, analyzing and using data.
    When managing data there are steps or processess to follow, being data collection, data entry, data analysis Verification and storage, Data Use.

Before one continues to follow this steps , they are data management questions that need to considered;

• what are the responsibilities_ tasks that will need to be considered.
      *Who are the people who will take on these responsibilities and what roles?

These questions helps the organisation know exactly what needs to be done , by who and in how long.It also helps them know who will use this data so that they can chose the right tools that they can understand.

• Data management is a process of collecting, storing, organizing, accessing, analyzing and using data.
    When managing data there are steps or processess to follow

• How to provide training on the why

• How to provide training on the why

• Wow this is the greatest part that I have been yearning to learn, after the raw data that probable are meaningless gotten from the field, they go through data management where its entered into the system, processes and analyzed for decision making, what a break through! thank you philanthropy University you have done the greatest thing ever now I can set my team at ease, no more getting confused on who is in charge of data collection, data entry, analysis and use

• In the same way, a data management process starts by bringing in raw materials: data collected from the project. As the data travels through the rest of the process it is organized, stored, analyzed and, finally, transformed into useful products, such as reports and decisions.

• Many organizations have found ways to collect massive amounts of data. Unfortunately, the ability to collect data far exceeds the capacity of most organizations to process, manage and analyze the data. Too much data, especially unstructured data, results in data lakes that take up space without contributing in any way to your company's bottom line. To make matters worse, the longer data sits unmanaged, the less valuable it becomes.
    to better manage this data, what recommendation do you make to us.

M
    1 Reply
  • once you collect accurate data and enter it into the base accurately, the remaining tasks will be smooth

• Depending on the budget, i would recommend engaging research professionals when it comes to data collection and analysis for quality purposes. However, if there are budgetary constraints intensive training is required for the team members who will be involved.

M
    1 Reply
  • How much time should an organization take between the process of data collection to the final stage of evaluation

• Data management is a critical aspect of planning for M&E. It entails the points in which data is collected, entered, collated, analyzed, stored and used. It also identifies roles and responsibilities at every level of project monitoring and evaluation.

• The floe map makes you understand everything that goes through the project. Visuals are always better for understanding

• I would like to learn more about data storage, data collation and data analysis and reporting.

• Very insightful. tell us more about data storage and collation.

• I agree. Engaging consultants is the best way to go when it comes to data analysis

• some questions that can arise during data management includes who should handle data and who should not. most times it is very important to determine how the data will be managed if not the whole work from planning till now will be a waste of time

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.