Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• You are spot on, dear Ludivicus,
    A congruence is needed to make a productive advocacy work.

But many times, you may not have the three level of audience on your side. At this point, I believe you will need to focus on who (of the three) has the most stake in making the aim of your advocacy scaling through successfully.

For example, if you need a public policy to be instituted, getting the decision makers on your side is vitally important because they eventually hold the aces in this case. Whereas a large section of the public might have already built a wall of sentiment against their government due to past issues

Abayomi Oyelami,
    Content Creator,
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative,
    Nigeria

• Yes, Brian,

A lot of practice is required to fully grasp the advocacy strategy framework and indeed, the course itself. I feel it is worth it, though, for us in Africa. We have a lot of advocacy to do in order to facilitate the change we desire to see in our communities and countries.
    Like I opine, 'we don't always have to be adversarial in our mindset to government policies, we need to have a collaborative outlook'. It is for us, afterall.

Abayomi Oyelami
    Content Creator,
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative,
    Nigeria

• This module has undoubtedly been a favorite ki so far, because it is based on the experience of other organizations and how they have succeeded in their projects due to their perseverance and their desire to help those most in need on issues that are of great relevance and impact. in our society.

• Size of the community, political landscape, public access to media...

• I got a little confused. I enjoyed the lesson but the quiz got a lot complicated. I failed

• The advocacy strategy framework is such a valuable tool in advocacy. Understanding the kinds of audiences and the changes that are expected makes identification of tactics to use handy.

• Other Things to Consider

• It is tough and requires to take time to critical reading.

• Outreaching should consider, the audeince and the apporach to be used agrrasive or soft, which also depandce on the prospective org' that we are trying to approach

• focus groups discussion

• Very informative module. While going through the module I remembered a campaign we supported and many things made sense especially mapping out partners since we didn't have the capacity to do everything and reach all our target audiences. The information will be useful too as we plan a mini campaign which I think will not start at awareness level but willingness and action stages - our target audiences all ready know but we want them to act.

• I didn't expect this material to be so easy to understand and I hope it will be implemented as well!

• Other things to consider, my understanding with that statement is that, what are the other things that we think needed to be consider after all that have been taught and said about strategy for change.

As for me, I think one other area that need to be considered is the window period when the change will be more effective.

For example, an association that want to advocate for bolehole water for a community should work towards making their window period for this change to fall into the period of dry seasons in which the change will be much more meaningful and more acceptable than raining season when people have a lot of alternative to get water.

• Other things to consider, my understanding with that statement is that, what are the other things that we think needed to be consider after all that have been taught and said about strategy for change.

As for me, I think one other area that need to be considered is the window period when the change will be more effective.

For example, an association that want to advocate for bolehole water for a community should work towards making their window period for this change to fall into the period of dry seasons in which the change will be much more meaningful and more acceptable than raining season when people have a lot of alternative to get water.

• Well I believe I understand! Other things to consider.

My understanding with that statement is that, what are the other things that we think needed to be consider after all that have been taught and said about strategy for change in advocacy.

• This module gives a summary of effective advocacy strategy in the way that it points out the strategic plan one has to put down like when wanting to make effective and successful advocacy approach one has to know the the kind of audience and specific segments,identifying the effective approach and what motivates the audience,I think with this beginning it helps one to know where to start from and where they are heading to🤗

• In this module it has some considerations that one has to look in to in order to achieve effective advocacy strategy like putting considerations in independency and integrity of research whether it won't have negative impact, consulting others,organisations to partern with before you take on the mount and talks about how one can tell whether their organisation is not alone in this for example looking in to the relationship across the board with other groups, capacity and relationship with other organisations to work with and figuring out what you will focus on and what other organisations have (strengths and limitations). With all this it gives one a clear back on what step to take next.

P
    1 Reply
  • Important to consider who the allies and opponents are.

• Module 3 is not too clear to me. i will have to go read the material very well

• I'm not clear on what I am supposed to respond to. There is no discussion paragraph

• I found module 3 a bit complex. I didn't do well in the Quiz. I found it challenging to match the tactics.

• oh thank you so much for this, it is clearer now

• all is good up to this extent

• I think it is important to always adhere to organizational principles/values, which sometimes be violated as individuals want to be 'trusted' by the Gov. These shouldn't be compromised at any level.

• Agreed, level of education needs to be taken consideration when choosing audience as this will help to choose suitable advocacy strategy for different groups.

• Interesting module

• it's really impressive course. I really get what i want , big thanks to your efforts.

• yes consider other things

• The project I have in mind feels bigger than me. I am not doing this course for an organisation. I am doing it for me, to lead successful projects of advocacy. I am independent in all I do.

The course is complex, and I found week 2 a bit complicated; but I feel very empowered to finish it.

• The audience and the appropriate tactic to use

• I encourage you to go to the end

• May be search the best person (have a quality of advocator) during the advocacy action.

• Unfortunately I have tried all that has been directed to me by reaching out to help desk and still have been unsuccessful. Sorry couldn’t be of more help.

• The tools and information have been great in better understanding the foundations for general advocacy, and to home some great plans.

I do feel we should be careful in our approaches not to overly simplify or to forget that the situational context or even key players can often bring a need for out-of-the-box approaches. An example can be found in the quiz in this module. In quiz question 2 regarding motivating religious leaders to act - the correct course quiz answer was media advocacy. In my opinion as influencers it might even be more appropriate to visit with these leaders and lobby. These are people persons - active in their own faith communities so a personal visit from ideally a member of both our advocacy group and the faith group could be more effective. Media campaigns are costly and we have no quarantee that religious leaders are active media consumers - but they do respond to needs and input from their congregation members - or those living in the communities they serve.

The ideas in the boxes are great to prime the ideas pump - but we always need to consider our audience and their roles in our messaging/action motivating approaches.

• This captures it perfectly!

• I think there are some communication snafs that are just a language difference here for me.
    It is good to identify the order of things to do to bring change though, and having a list laid out will inform my practice moving forward.

• well, this module reveals that tactics are necessary to endure our advocacy strategy scheme to reach the desired impetus and to have successful outcomes
    1- By targeting the right audience
    2-By sharing the concept with influencers and effective organization
    3- And find the right motivation tools to pursue the integration of goal

• well understood of the topic

• Hlo gjllkk Kaksmsnzbx alzlzkxbxb wjanidb akPkcb pPzndbdj pKzjdb Kpsnhzhz

• BsjJz sbsjsjzix hsizkzkshx sjsjxjdhfn sisjxjxhhx djdjdjdhfb jeksjdndbx x

• Hsgshd fisjshxhfbx papslzkz xjskdkxkxjx sjdjdjxjx dkdkdn

• I also think that one needs to understand the capacity, interest, and ability of the targeted audience

• Modules abit tricky but easy ...take a heart we shall make it

• Learning how to use tactics is very important

• I also think that one needs to understand the capacity, interest, and ability of the targeted audience

• I cant understand properly but i can explain to you what i have taken from the 30 minute discussion. As advocates we need to know that we can either operate in a political sphere that is open , semi-open or restrictive therefore, it is essential to know what kind of political sphere here we are operating in. Another essential issue to take note of is how we relay our message to the decision makers .For example Ruth and Rajesh noted that even if the decision makers have reservations on how they want advocates to relay messages out to the public we should change our way of conveyance in away that does not compromise our core values

• I also found this particular module and quiz tricky. The very specific terminology (I presumed in the US) does not line up with the terminology more often used in my country. I found the definitions included in the reading very useful though.

• It was an eye opener to me to see from now on the process of change as a continuum (spreading awareness, increasing will or creating action/ability.

• i think there is need to read through the advocacy strategy on the reading section to get a better understanding

• intergrity all the way

• this module sheds light on the parties involved that we can target and the continuum of influence we can have on them , which we may not pay attention on as we usually only think of raising public awareness

• I also failed on 1st attempt. Being that it was a 1/1 attempt quiz, my later understanding of how the matrix works will help me further should I meet it at a later question.

The good part is that the provided answers gave a clue of how to read the matrix.

• I haven't receive assignments for module. 3

• I haven't receive assignments for module. 3

• An advocacy strategy should make allowance for proactive and reactive advocacy. So in other words there will be issues that the organisation has identified that it wants to tackle and proactively sets up a strategy for that, but on the other hand, it also needs to have the resources and plans in place to respond to issues as they arise and which require a much quicker turnaround time.

• What tactics are needed to be selecting

• I have become more knowledgeable on the how problems can be solved using the right steps and all this i have learnt through advocacy. Advocacy is one of the most important aspects in the political area and even education sector.I will definitely consider advocacy from now henceforth since it makes problem solving so easy.

• The course is very explanatory and detailed and yet concise.

• The Advocacy Strategy Framework gives me the clear view selecting the appropriate advocacy tactics. At the meanwhile it takes efforts to internalize the concept and applying it.

• The Advocacy Strategy Framework gives me the clear view selecting the appropriate advocacy tactics. At the meanwhile it takes efforts to internalize the concept and applying it.

• I have learned alot from this module. Most importantly is the better understanding I have gained from the salient meanings and indicators of some of the general terms used in advocacies and campaigns.

• Same here with me it's getting tougher

• That's was cool

• Alot of great lessons from the the first three modules on how best to implement an advocacy strategy inorder to yield the required results

• the module was really great and learnt a lot due there was little things that I didn't understand. Now many strategies has been learnt for improving my advocacy projects

• Resources like time and money. The advocacy strategy can not be implemented effectively if one has not planned to spend a substantial amount of time on it but also money is highly needed.

• Resources like time and money. The advocacy strategy can not be implemented effectively if one has not planned to spend a substantial amount of time on it but also money is highly needed.

• What is the particular problem

• Everything is great. The course is amazing.

• Все замечательно!

• My personal pet project that I am trying to work through with this course is this... I work at a community college in Texas. I work in the Office of Student Life and Engagement and work directly with student clubs and orgs. Over the last few years there has been a HUGE shift in resources that have been allocated to student life and in particular clubs. There is however, one group on campus that has gained more support through funding than any single other group at all. This is an honor society and I am not saying that these students don't deserve the funds. But if them getting $350K a year means other groups don't get anything, I have a problem. My advocacy goal is to convince our upper administration that funding for the lower achieving students is still needed and in fact can help to boost their GPA. They have plenty of money. There is no reason that other groups shouldn't get some kind of funding.

Other things that I need to consider when I approach my administration are:

• what are my student's current grades (we will be compared so I need to be able to address the issue)
    • what do my students need funding for?
    • what time of the year am I asking? Is this an election year? What Trustees truly support my groups?
      And the big one - What statistical data can I bring to the administration to support my request?

On of the biggest challenges that I have to face is that many of the upper administration didn't have to go to a community college. They came from well-off families that sent them straight to a university. Since they didn't live the life of a community college student and they very rarely work with the students, what do I need to show them to make them understand?

• Understanding...thank u

• On organisation they should also study for advocacy as well

• Other things to consider in changes especially under will when building advocacy theories are; opinion (people must take a position on an issue), intensity (people need to hold their opinion strongly), salience (though people hold their opinion strongly they will act on issues relevant to them), capacity (the know-how to take action when called upon), and willingness(whatever it takes to express an idea).

• The module is more complex than 1 and 2. I have to read all over again get the points.

E
    1 Reply
  • I agree with you on this, carefully selecting of audiences is so important.

• The framework is quit deep, one would need to review it more often to get a better understanding of how to apply it.

• I had a hard time conceive the out come

O
    1 Reply
  • One really needs a proper attention to digest all of it.

• I found module 3 a difficult to understand I also failed my quiz n you get only a single time to do it, so for me it's give in more time reading, I think listening to the podcast to will give better understanding.

• t is important to maintain integrity in developing and implementing an advocacy strategy.

• I found this module to be heavy difficult

• I never realized the important role decision/policy makers have in the catalyst for change. This has been very informative and the Mapping an Advocacy Strategy figure is very helpful!

• I think that when you are considering an advocacy strategy, you always need to look at what else is going on in the landscape. Timing, other factors, outside influences, willingness of partners etc... are all things that you need to consider. I also think, as the reading suggested, that interim outcomes can be good sources of knowing if you are on track or off track. Much advocacy work is lengthy and feels like you are spinning your wheels and not getting anywhere. This is why interim outcomes or "little wins" can be important to keep your focus or to keep you on track.

• There are other things to consider in advocacy work apart from desired changes, context, audience and related strategies, as well as organizational capacity;

1. one has to consider the organizations role which sets limits within which advocacy activities can be carried out. As such it is important to look into the organization's constitution to find whether the advocacy activities falls within their scope.
    2. An organization must have sufficient and detailed research and knowledge about the issue they are passionate about to persuade others or change their attitude or behavior through building credible and compelling case.
    3. Apart from the political context, an organization should also consider the socio-cultural context within which they operate which affects their ability to build alliances with or make entry into communities in which they want to help.
    4. It is essential that advocacy goals and objectives be conceptualized within the SMART framework which is critical for result measurement of the activities, intermediate, and long time outcomes.
    5. In terms of communication, an organization should consider the diverse platforms and target audience for effectiveness. For instance, young people can sometimes be effectively reached through available platforms. The audience also determines how to package information.
  • Strategy is highly essential for a successful advocacy

• Designing advocacy tactics should be done with the ultimate impact in mind, that is where the theory of change serves as a spine through out the process. One need to take into cogniznce the communication needs of the audience, the problem the advocacy seeks to solve, offer solutions through a call to action. this is because advocacy should pass from awareness, to will to the ppint of taking action.

• Nice and interesting topic. If we follow this pattern on described here then all things being equal progress is certain

• The reading is really helpful to provide better understanding of each targets having suitable strategies and tactics to target.

• all parameters should be duely checked before a strategy can be identified.

• This one seemed a bit all over the place and hard to understand. I felt so confident in my understanding after the first two, but this one left me a little lost, and I failed my quiz on this one. I think that's mainly because i like to have examples for the question, and know details to be able to give a more confident answer.

• I found the Advocacy Strategy Framework to be incredible useful and surprisingly time-relevant.

E
    1 Reply
  • English is a West Germanic language of the Indo-European language family, originally spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England.[3][4][5] It is named after the Angles, one of the ancient Germanic peoples that migrated from Anglia, a peninsula on the Baltic Sea (not to be confused with East Anglia in England), to the area of Great Britain later named after them: England. The closest living relatives of English include Scots, followed by the Low Saxon and Frisian languages. While English is genealogically West Germanic, its vocabulary is also distinctively influenced by dialects of French (about 29% of modern English words) and Latin (also about 29%), as well as by Old Norse (a North Germanic language).[6][7][8] Speakers of English are called Anglophones.

English
    Pronunciation
    /ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ/[1]
    Ethnicity
    English people
    Anglo-Saxons (historically)
    Native speakers
    360–400 million (2006)[2]
    L2 speakers: 750 million;
    as a foreign language: 600–700 million[2]
    Language family
    Indo-European
    Germanic
    West Germanic
    North Sea Germanic
    Anglo-Frisian
    Anglic
    English
    Early forms
    Old English
    Middle English
    Early Modern English
    Writing system
    Latin (English alphabet)
    Anglo Saxon runes (historically)
    English Braille, Unified English Braille
    Signed forms
    Manually coded English
    (multiple systems)
    Official status
    Official language in
    59 countries
    27 non-sovereign entities
    Various organisations
    United Nations
    European Union
    Commonwealth of Nations
    Council of Europe

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.