Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Risks are underlying factors that may/may not affect our project in the long run. Taking cognisance of assumptions are key because they define our risk participation level.

• I have learned that risks and assumptions can affect our budget for the project, so how do we minimize chances of encountering risks and assumptions that will need us to dig deep into our pockets.

• A risk is an uncertain threat that if it happens can negatively affect the goal of the project. Risk is an important item that should be considered before embarking on a project. it could affect the input, output , outcome or the impact. Hence, it is vital to ascertain the possible risk(s) that could affect each of the aforementioned in order to ensure ensure a possible positive impact. For instance, the MEH is taking a risk by wanting to give the girls in Kenya loans to start up or develop their businesses. The question is what if the girls are not interested in the loan? What if the culture does not encourage the girls to be independent? these and more are the what ifs? that every project must answer before it is started.

Assumptions on the other hand is a necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the project. For instance if a high school employs a cook to cater for its staff and students during lunchbreak, what would happen if the cook falls sick or has to travel? Such assumption has to be considered when deciding the number of cooks to employ.

• A risk is an uncertain threat that if it happens can negatively affect the goal of the project. Risk is an important item that should be considered before embarking on a project. it could affect the input, output , outcome or the impact. Hence, it is vital to ascertain the possible risk(s) that could affect each of the aforementioned in order to ensure ensure a possible positive impact. For instance, the MEH is taking a risk by wanting to give the girls in Kenya loans to start up or develop their businesses. The question is what if the girls are not interested in the loan? What if the culture does not encourage the girls to be independent? these and more are the what ifs? that every project must answer before it is started.

Assumptions on the other hand is a necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the project. For instance if a high school employs a cook to cater for its staff and students during lunchbreak, what would happen if the cook falls sick or has to travel? Such assumption has to be considered when deciding the number of cooks to employ.

• we should point out the risks and assumptions in your plan Risks are the things outside of your control that might disrupt your plan. Assumptions are your biases: the things that you believe without much evidence.
    The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might disrupt your plan. For each level of your logframe - inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact - you ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?
    Remember the if/then statements that we made at the beginning of this module? Here is an example to remind you:
    IF you have new knowledge, THEN you will perform better on job applications.

• Assumptions are the unproven connections
    between levels in a design hierarchy, theory of
    change, or the project context. Common
    assumptions focus on:
     How the context will evolve: how change
    works
     Project philosophy or approach, including
    the strategic advantage of one approach
    over another
     Participation. In a war zone, for example, many projects assume there will be
    sufficient security to safely access the people or certain locations.
     Our understanding of how things work in life. For example, we assume that
    relationships built by enemies in the safety of a workshop or a structured
    exchange will enable them to behave differently upon their return to everyday,
    often-polarised environments. We assume that greater transparency will lead to
    better governance, rather than to well-publicised corruption

• Hello
    lessons learnt
    Assumptions are the unproven connections between levels in a design hierarchy, theory of change, or the project context.

• Hello
    lessons learnt
    Assumptions are the unproven connections between levels in a design hierarchy, theory of change, or the project context.

• risk and assumptions are the side of coin, if we are assuming to achieve something good or successes in some targets automatically risk will be part of that too.

• I think risks must also be considered in a way that the impact is met but not in the intensity it was expected. Maybe the impact is lower as expected

• It will not help the owners to know the most important and critical components which drives the project forward . Because risks helps one to identify weaknesses and loopholes .
    My suggestion thanks

• there isnt any available discussions on my screen.

• there isnt any available discussions on my screen.

• Identifying Risks and Assumptions

The risks and assumptions column of a logframe lists all the things that might disrupt your plan. For each level of your logframe - inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact - you ask: what could go wrong? Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the inputs? And, if you provide the inputs, are you sure that this will lead to the outputs?

Remember the if/then statements that we made at the beginning of this module? Here is an example to remind you:

IF you have new knowledge, THEN you will perform better on job applications.

Writing your project summary as series of if/then statements will help you spot risks and assumptions. For example, after we read this if/then statement we can ask:

What type of knowledge will help you perform better on job applications?

Is knowledge enough to help you perform better on job applications?

Let’s identify risks and assumptions for MEH’s outcomes, by combining the outcomes with the outputs in an if/then statement:

IF girls receive microloans, THEN girls will start new businesses or upgrade equipment in their existing businesses.

We have combined the outcomes with the level below: the outputs. Now we can ask: are we completely sure that this is true? Are there any things outside of MEH’s control that might keep girls from starting or upgrading businesses?

Here are a few risks and assumptions that might keep girls from starting or upgrading businesses, even if they get microloans:

Girls might not want to start or upgrade businesses

Girls might be discouraged from starting or upgrading businesses by their family or culture

Girls might not know how to start or upgrade businesses
  • In ever stage of our project, it is crucial to consider the risks and assumptions that might affect our projects. Risks are outside of our control and may disrupt our project one way or another while assumption can be regarded as. biases, which we believe without much evidences. Identifying these risks and assumptions ahead of time is one way to reduce the potential harmful things that might happen to our project.

• Risks and assumptions within the logframe, are predictions done to avoid surprises within the project life. They can also be a good reflection that informs better planning and adjustments so as to prevent against the harm to the desired impact of the project.

• It's been interesting learning the various types of indicators and targets to set. But I wasn't able to see the question I am expected to respond to.

• the risk assumption its important to consider when planing for project design or M&E plan

• It's been interesting learning the various types of indicators and targets to set. But I wasn't able to see the question I am expected to respond to.

• I think it is important to have a risk log, and it usually comes from previous similar projects and surveys from previous beneficiaries and your target market. This helps in having ways to avoid some issues that might come along the line and jeopardize your project - It also assist in having a solution when the particular problem arise.

• A risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity when An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• Les enfants âgés de 10ans au plus sont ils déjà inscrits à l'école ??

• Risk and assumptions -, risk the things outside our control that might disrupt the plan, while assumptions are biases or prejudice towards things without substantial evidence.
    Whenever a project is being, designed it is necessary to find the risks and assumptions from the start. One should make a list of all the things that might disrupt the plan. It is must be, done logically. A rule of thumb is to remember the if /then statement. For each level of the Log Frame- inputs, outputs, outcomes, impact, the following questions can be, asked:
    A. What could go wrong?
    B. Is there anything that might prevent you from providing the outputs/
    C. Are you sure this can lead to outputs?
    Summary
    Inputs + Assumptions = outputs:
    if we understand the inputs or activities required for the project, then we will craft outputs
    Outputs + Assumptions= Outcomes:
    if we execute the outputs, then we will achieve greater outcomes
    Outcomes +Assumptions = Impact:
    Ultimately, If we achieve the outcome, then we will contribute to the impact.
    Most importantly, we must plan for risk and assumptions ahead of time, this will help us to understand events and conditions that are unforeseeable, and might affect the implementation. It will also give us ample time to make informed decisions.

• Risks are those factors that are outside your control and could cause your project to perform poorly. And Assumptions on the other hand are things you believe but are not supported by evidence. These are two important items in any project design. One need to put in mind the risk factors as there always come some limitations be it in the input, output , outcome or even in the impact. Constructing a clever assumption will go a long way in helping you in your project design and thereby have a comprehensive logframe.

• Risks and Assumptions are simply a list of things that can prevent your project from achieving its goals. These things must be identified so that you can plan on how to minimize them and how to deal with them if the occur.

• Risks know problems that can hinder your project from achieving its goals example the corona virus can hinder a project that wants to conduct a survey going door to door counting all people living with HIV in the community.
    While assumptions are beliefs not backed up with facts that can hinder a project from achieving its goals.
    Both must be identified and a plan on how to handle them must be formulated.

• Risk and assumption give us various impact and output, and also changing our targets and schedule.

• I have tried to generate risks and assumptions for my proposed project of ending domestic and gender based violence, however some risks maybe unforeseen and may affect the progress of the project.
    But I believe the evaluation processes at some stage before the end of the project, these risks can be identified and mitigated.

• yeah sure, technological changes may pose a risk, for example for a project that is likely to use gadgets like phones, tvs, radios. Absence of these gadgets may hinder progress and as well failure to use these gadgets.

• if these assumptions are beliefs, is there a possibility of bias as we list these assumptions?

• Risks are the unpredictables,foreseen and unforseen emcumbrances they are what we have no control over.

Assumption are you personal ideologies which are not backed by evidences.

P
    1 Reply
  • Risks are emcumbrances that could be seen or unforeseen, while assumptions are personal ideologies not backed with evidences.

• Risks are emcumbrances that could be seen or unforeseen, while assumptions are personal ideologies not backed with evidences.

• Risk and assumption give us various impact and output, and also changing our targets and schedule.This will result in change of budget too and need to update stakeholders at all time.

• Risks are those factors that are outside your control and could cause your project to perform poorly. And Assumptions on the other hand are things you believe but are not supported by evidence. These are two important items in any project design. One need to put in mind the risk factors as there always come some limitations be it in the input, output , outcome or even in the impact. Constructing a clever assumption will go a long way in helping you in your project design and thereby have a comprehensive logframe.

• Risk are mostly things beyond our control that affects our project plan.
    Assumptions are your biases; the things we believe without evidence.
    It is very important to note the risk and assumptions of a project before during the design, before the project starts.

In identifying the risk and assumptions, you create a column of log frame and list all the things that might affect the project plan.
    For each level of your logframe , there are inputs, outputs, outcomes an impact. Always ask yourself questions such as, is there any thing that might disrupt your input? Also can your inputs leads to your outputs??
    Also it is good to always use the if/then statement in writing your project summary. This will easily help you spot the risk and assumptions.

• risk can be identified at the starting phase because if it is not identified then organization will face hurdles in their projects

• Suppose I have just a few risks and assumptions on my mind is it the beneficiaries I have to consult to suggest which others they think there will be?

• if you are able to identify the risks and assumptions in your proposed project, there is a more possibility of getting positive outcome and more output that will allow for more impact on the targeted beneficiaries

• risk can be identified at the starting phase because if it is not identified then organization will face hurdles in their projects

1 Reply
  • as an organization one had to think about the risk before starting any project because it will help one to achieve better results.

• I think it is important to have a risk log, and it usually comes from previous similar projects and surveys from previous beneficiaries and your target market. This helps in having ways to avoid some issues that might come along the line and jeopardize your project - It also assist in having a solution when the particular problem arise.

• Risks and Assumptions come about when you are planning a project, because if you don't assume possible risks of your project and find ways to prevent such risks, it might be a surprise to you when they come up; which may even lead to you not reaching your goals and making the impact you wish to see.

• Suppose I have just a few risks and assumptions on my mind is it the beneficiaries I have to consult to suggest which others they think there will be?

• Creating data collection tools is key in project management.

• In Feb 2020, I designed a project timeline for a client without considering the risks of the project implementation. The aim of the project was conduct a data collection in higher institutions involving students and lecturers across faculties of about 20 different universities. Fast forward to March 2020 when Covid-19 happened, we had to pend the project implementation till late last year. However, lessons has been learnt.
    It is important to find risks and assumptions before the commencement of any project.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

• In Feb 2020, I designed a project timeline for a client without considering the risks of the project implementation. The aim of the project was conduct a data collection in higher institutions involving students and lecturers across faculties of about 20 different universities. Fastforward to March 2020 when Covid-19 happened, we had to pend the project implementation till late last year. However, lessons has been learnt.
    It is important to find risks and assumptions before the commencement of any project.

Have you had a similar experience while working on a project? Please share

O
    1 Reply
  • 1 Et si les femmes ne venaient pas à la réunion ?
    2 Et si les femmes se désintéressent de la formation

• 1 Et si les femmes ne venaient pas à la réunion ?
    2 Et si les femmes se désintéressent de la formation

• Risk and assuptision are the situation that might accure in during the project out of our control

• Les risques sont les choses hors de notre controle qui pourraient pertuber notre plan, alors que les hypothèses sont nos préjugés.

60% des enfants âgés de 10ans à plus ne se sont jamais scolarisés.
    L'un de notre objectif est de les inscrire à conditions qu'ils n'ont pas atteint les 14eme années.

• Youth are more aware of the benefits of self reliance and employability skills.

• I am not sure what to write as there are no instructions showing up.
    One of the important risks and assumptions for my own capacity building project are that; national counterparts will have (an assumption) or not have (a risk) the necessary knowledge of and influence on community based treatment service options in their locality.

• Risks and assumptions are the circumstances that we might face durng excuting the project and might affect the project badlly

1 Reply
  • In a formative evaluation (baseline or mid-term evaluation), if new risks are identified, does this imply that the logic model should be reviewed?

O
    1 Reply
  • Once the risks have been identified, the mitigation measures must also be identified.

• In my practice with Logframes, we didn't only include negative risks and assumptions, but also positive assumptions.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. ... An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• Risks and assumptions are quite often missed in project design and planning. These then tend to hurt the project in the implementation phase and often in ways that affect the outcomes and impact if not planned for. I have noted that it is of value to note these during planning and design, and also come up with suggested solutions to avoid and/or remedy the risk.

• The topic is enlightening indeed. Thumbs up

• I think that the risks are the things that deny the project to get excepted impact
    The assumption are the things that I believe without evidence

• It's good lessons and i understand welcome

• Risks and assumptions are important to consider at the project design face. These are things that would make your project not be implemented as planned or not produce the desired outputs, outcomes and impact. Thinking about these helps you monitor and evaluate your project without biases and also have contingent plans on how to mitigate that by planning for unforeseen circumstances.

• What factors should a MEH consider when assessing the risks and assumptions?

• i really worked on logframe for qurbani project in geo yemen organization that logframe was different it was content of indicators - definition ( how to calculate) base line - target - data sorce - frequance .
    but i did not see this in this course - so the question is why

• Risks and Assumptions Difference
    The main difference between an assumption and a risk is that when we make an assumption, we expect that assumption will happen. If the assumption doesn’t happen then the project is negatively affected. With a risk we anticipate that the risk might happen and thus negatively impact our project. If the risk doesn’t materialize then the project will benefit. So in affect we can think of assumptions as almost being the opposite of risks (assumption happens = project ok versus risk happens = project not ok).

• Risks they said are factors outside your control that could cause your project to go poorly.
    While assumptions are the things we believe but are not supported by evidence. For the risk farmers might be able to go to the training ground due to rain fall which is a natural factor or as a result of war few to be mentioned.Assumptions on the other hand will show farmers that have learned other farming activities but might not apply.

• An assumption is a statement that you assume to be true. Without assuming certain things planning would be impossible, as we never know for certain how the future will look like.

1. All building materials will be available in the market before the project start
      2.The legal framework will not change drastically in the near future
  • Show preview of peers assessments

• The theory of Analysis to Evaluate

• this is a very interesting module.

• The assessment of risks and assumptions allows us to prevent the failure of our project. Most of the time, we commit ourselves before determining the environment of our project. In the past, with our NGO "Initiative Ivoirienne pour la Femme et l'Enfant '', we have approached a project with the Ivorian government for compulsory schooling for children in Côte d'Ivoire without taking into account the the fact that many children did not have a birth certificate to register and that schools had to be built in the most remote localities before parents were forced to send their children to school.

A
    1 Reply
  • It is true and logical that risks are unforeseen things that are likely to affect our projects process. They are outcomes that you rarely anticipate they will happen and if they happen they negatively affect the whole process of project design. it is important that project managers or the entire team of monitoring and evaluation assess all the risks as early as the project design before it is too late to rectify or mitigate the risks.

on the other hand assumptions are biases that we have formed in our mind and work with them along to the final process of the project. thus, its is prudent to work with data collected from various sources to help building the project on serious foundation based on facts collected. Working with facts instead of assumptions will make the project impacts be achieved because it is based on evidence, hence it becomes an evidence based project design.

• It is true and logical that risks are unforeseen things that are likely to affect our projects process. They are outcomes that you rarely anticipate they will happen and if they happen they negatively affect the whole process of project design. it is important that project managers or the entire team of monitoring and evaluation assess all the risks as early as the project design before it is too late to rectify or mitigate the risks.

on the other hand assumptions are biases that we have formed in our mind and work with them along to the final process of the project. thus, its is prudent to work with data collected from various sources to help building the project on serious foundation based on facts collected. Working with facts instead of assumptions will make the project impacts be achieved because it is based on evidence, hence it becomes an evidence based project design.

• yes i must admit that the post well written out with the best content and context regarding risks and assumptions.
    it is imperative that project managers and the monitoring and evaluation team evaluates and assesses all the risks likely going to affect the project to avoid inconveniences. some of this inconveniences include late discovery of the risks hence leading to a loss and wastage of resources.

• Risk is the “effect of uncertainty on objectives.” Within the logic framework approach
    to project design, however, risk is formulated as the negative assumptions behind, or
    the facts of, the project including the interaction between context conditions and the
    project. In other words, risks in logic frameworks are the potential logical barriers to the
    achievement of the objectives for each level in the design hierarchy

• ![alt text]([image url](~~

• link url~~))
  • Your ideas about risks and assumptions are wonderful.
    You made it look so simple.

• What are assumptions in risk management?
    If the event is negative and there is a low probability that it will happen, it can be stated as an assumption. If the event is positive and there is a high likelihood it will happen, it is also an assumption. One way to identify important assumptions is to perform a risk assessment and look at all the low-risk items.

• I am thinking risks can as well with from the management in project teams.
    I look at risks as both being internally and externally depending on the factors that risk and needs acceptance, prevention, reduction and other mitigation measures. My submission.

• Risks are one of the most important aspects of uncertainty project teams must looked into.
    It can be mitigated and to do so is the best way out through acceptance, reduction and prevention.
    If it's checked, then project can go on smoothly.

• Indeed it is always important to makes sure that we have closely considered taking a look at the possible risks and assumptions to avoid having problems that could be avoided before launching our projects.

• Risks are one of the most important aspects of uncertainty project teams must looked into.
    It can be mitigated and to do so is the best way out through acceptance, reduction and prevention.

• Its very good to be aware of all the related risks and assumptions to the projects and get ways to mitigate them before the project starts.

• Risks :
    Chick mortality due to disease or Avian Flu.
    Lack of knowledge or training of employees.
    Lack of sufficient money to carry out the project.

Assumptions :
    If the medical protocol is well developed and well followed, the risk of mortality will be low.
    If employees have experience or have knowledge or training in poultry farming, the risk of mortality will be low
    If i have sufficent money or ressources i will build a poultry farm, buy some equipments and develop my business

• Risks refers to the factors that could cause your project to go poorly,and these factors are usually outside your control. Example of risks is where funds intended for a cause can be redirected to other uses.
    Assumptions refers to the things that we believe but these things are not supported by evidence ,such as assuming that all students who learn financial courses will know how to properly manage funds.
    It is important to plan for risks and assumptions in order to understand unforeseeable events and occurrence that might affect your project implementation and hence be prepared enough.

• In this context, a risk is defined as an uncertain threat that, in case of occurring, could have a negative impact in the completion of the Goal or Activity. ... An assumption, on the other side, is the necessary condition that will enable the successful completion of the Goal or Activity.

• What should I answer for ?

• Well understood

• Very true .team work matters much in identifying the risk and assumptio

• Well understood

• Where do we place the risk and assumption when planning

S
    1 Reply
  • The importance of the risk and assumption is to provide a better achievement of the project by determining the negetive objectives that may occur in the project and the assumption provide the predictions on the effectivenes or ineffective of the project objectives

• How does the risk or assumptions being carried

• In every project the risks and assumption must be there?

1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.