Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Targets that cannot be achieved in a given time frame and with given resources.
    Too ambitious or too pessimistic target
    Targets that are not based on some data

• don't be afraid to adjust your target when confronted with new facts or information

• There is no internal consensus about the validity of the target, some people may not be sure where the target came from. The target is set beyond a reasonable range based on past performance and reasonable data.

• Unrealistic targets are those that are too ambiguous and cannot be achieved. Unrealistic targets are not based on any data rather they are based on feelings. Additional an unrealistic target has no baseline, especially if project is not providing a new service.

• setting target that are unachieveable in the project
    setting huge budget that cannot be found
    setting goals that are difficult to obtain
    ambitious target that cannot be worked upon

• thats good example of unrealistic targets

• giving out positive and real information is of the great use inorder not to have false result as per project

• Sometimes, due to the lack of knowledge about local context, unrealistic targets are set up

• There doesn't seem to be anything to discuss other than the broad

• Not entirely sure what to respond with as the discussion topic is too vague, so here it goes:

But my understanding from the module is that when thinking about targets you do want to be ambitious but your targets need to be set in reality. For example, if you want to have a target that states you will supply 50,000 reading books to 2nd graders but you only have the budget to purchase 5,000 then your target is not realistic. Setting a target of 50,000 books would cause your project to be unsuccessful and your team members may be disappointed in not achieving those goals.

As such to help set your targets in reality it is good to set a baseline, research trends in the field, seek expert opinion where possible, check your project budget, listen to stakeholders who may have specific targets in mind and maybe look at other research findings to ensure your targets are appropriate and will ensure success.

M
    1 Reply
  • interesting topics about this target thing

• Unrealistic target would be to assume that internet banking would completely provide accountability, compliance and transparency and also control work advances. The right thing to do would be to give a measure if how many percentages would be good enough to consider the project of internet service a success.

• Unrealistic target would be to assume that internet banking would completely provide accountability, compliance and transparency and also control work advances. The right thing to do would be to give a measure if how many percentages would be good enough to consider the project of internet service a success.

@TomOdhiambo said in Module 3 Discussion: Unrealistic Targets:

The setting of unreasonable and unrealistic targets can also be construed as bullying or harassment, and can completely demotivate the team members if not achieved

This is another interesting angle. De motivation being a result of imposing unrealistic target.

• discussions were very accurate

• Targets set should be realistic so as to commit the team members to reach the target. Unrealistic targets are sometimes not met and it will lead to disappointments to everyone involved in the project being implemented (the team and the donors).

• An unrealistic target is a target that requires more time, energy and funds than what has been budgeted and it can't be achieved. Targets for any project can be ambitious however, they should be realistic.
    For example, we want to send 200 children to school however, the funds available is just enough to cater for 120 children. This means the target is not realistic. In this case, the targets can change to fit into availability of funds.

• Setting targets that are too ambitious or too low

• Data collection method is striking role in ensuring effective implementation of any serious project

• Embarking on project without target is like traveling without direction.
    Every single Project with Target gives better direction and earns better results

• Plan well and achieve well

• Is it possible to adjust your targets once you realize you aren't able to meet them?

M
    1 Reply
  • Our targets should also be realistic as you mention. Because we might reach that target. Targets include quantity, quality and efficiency. We should have final targets as well as small targets while we are implementing the project. But we have to think and prepare for unexpected things that can be effect to our targets, if so may be we can adjust our targets. We have to think to be realistic for our targets. Because it is a tricky task.

• unrealistic targets are not achievable, and it also increase cost of project.

• Setting unrealistic expectations can also impact your business in the long-term too. Here are some of the long-lasting effects to consider: Low staff morale – Staff often get a buzz from hitting their targets. However, if that goal is constantly unrealistic, employees can feel like they’re not achieving.

• Setting unrealistic targets, while sometimes seen as just being overly ambitious, can seriously impact the project in multiple ways. From the team morale (i.e. will they be disappointed if the target is not reached?), to stakeholder buy-in, to the credibility of the project if the target is not met by a large margin that causes unfavorable impacts to the stakeholders. I think having an idea of what is feasible - developed by looking at what has been done in the past, resources at hand, team capacity, etc. - then maybe setting a target a level or two above that is a good approach.

• I think so, especially if it is for reasons out of your control (like budget, donor interest, etc.). I think it's important to consider the approach and rationale when adjusting (i.e. how are you going to explain it to the beneficiaries in a way that doesn't reflect poorly on the project, team or organization).

• unrealistic target are usually the one that might stop the progress for achieving the first and no 1 target all along

• we most times come up with unrealistic targets when we don't do thorough research on the topic. we end up being disappointed, disappointing the stakeholders and at times even losing donors. targets are a crucial part in any project.

• I agree.and it's important to have all the information at hand before setting the targets.

• When I first started handling projects at my work place, I had lots of disappointment because I could not reach the target I had set. I had not interacted well with the team so I did not know there were many things to be considered before setting the date for each project. the pressure was too much and this made me set overly ambitious targets. over time, I have learnt alot and now I set realistic targets and I also explain why to the stakeholders to manage their expectations.

• From historical trend are we able to just predict the next target

• Unrealistic targets are targets an M&E experts sets that can not be met, he puts his teammates or donors in a position where target goals are not met and it might result to his teammates feeling disappointed that they couldn't accomplish the goal

• Unrealistic targets are targets an M&E experts sets that can not be met, he puts his teammates or donors in a position where target goals are not met and it might result to his teammates feeling disappointed that they couldn't accomplish the goal

• Unrealistic targets are targets that an M&E experts plan but doesn't carry them out due to one reason or the other and this makes his teammates feel inefficient in the project work assigned

• You can always go back to change your target suppose u have a change in schedule and drift in your calendar. Setting target however gives u the grips of where your bus top is and how to reach there

• Unrealistic targets are targets that are over ambitious and can not be met. It is important to set a target that is realistic and also ambitious. It is tricky setting these kind of target.

• How does one move an unrealistic target to a more realistic one

• Target is very important to measure the indicator, but when it comes out as unrealistic it block the project achievement and the project may be judged as unsuccessful.

• Hello Team,
    How do i approach module three assignment. i realize there are changes in the log-frame. Thank you

• Unrealistic targets are those that the resources will certainly not allow to reach. For instance if we have the inputs that are not sufficient to reach the level of desired outcomes and consequently to reach the desired impact. The unrealistic targets may be due to the scarcity of baseline data, the high demands from the donor , or the beneficiaries. The unrealistic targets can also be due to poor budget assessment. To avoid unrealistic targets there is a need to have as much information as possible and not overlook the assumptions.

• Unrealistic targets are those that are not tailored to the available resources or that can not be reached within the project time period. There are several reasons that can lead to unrealistic targets. most of time the deficiency in information not flowing between the input, output and outcome or between outcome and impact. Limited budget or limited time could also be a cause of unrealistic target. Another cause is when the indicators are not well chosen. In order to avoid unrealistic target, it is important not overlook risks and assumptions, choose the right indicators. collect as much information as possible regarding the resources, consider the budget , and the amount of time allocated to the project.

• I agree that goal setting should be data driven, which is really a good thing. Also, returning to it to add seems to me to be a more realistic alternative. I have known in the past projects which started implementation with ambitious but unrealistic goals. To adapt to the context of the project, the necessary adjustments were made.

• Unrealistic targets can lead to failure or low results. Therefore, targets must be realistic.

• Its very helpful.

• Unrealistic targets are common especially among those who are novices (just beginning to understand M&E), those who want to impress donors and set very high targets and those who use wrong data. It is important to first get the dynamics on the ground (understand your environment) before setting a target. Even after setting the target, check again to see if that figure is achievable or not. Unrealistic targets if not achieved may lead to fund cuts, donor pulling out and unsatisfied beneficiaries. They should be avoided at any cost.

• Unrealistic targets are common especially among those who are novices (just beginning to understand M&E), those who want to impress donors and set very high targets and those who use wrong data. It is important to first get the dynamics on the ground (understand your environment) before setting a target. Even after setting the target, check again to see if that figure is achievable or not. Unrealistic targets if not achieved may lead to fund cuts, donor pulling out and unsatisfied beneficiaries. They should be avoided at any cost.

• It is very paramount to reach the community yourself to find out the real information yourself. We found out some volunteers in our organization had develop cold fit thereby filling the survey form by their selves in stead of reaching the town or the local to flu d out about their real issues

• -Don't set goals that are too high because if If you miss a goal because you are unrealistic, everyone involved will be disappointed: you, your team and your donors.

• Don't set too High target because If you miss a goal because you are unrealistic, everyone involved will be disappointed: you, your team and your donors.

• Unrealistic targets will cause the project not be realised and also will lead to frustration among project team members once they fail to realise the targets. Furthermore, because unrealistic targets may cause the project to lag behind schedule, funding from donors may be affected.

• To estimate prevalence of lymphoedema in 100000 households within one month in the Lindi district which is not possible to assess all those houses in Lindi district within this study period as result it will hard to attain the target of the project.

• Usually, unrealistic targets are very ambitious and vague. They must be avoided at all costs because they have the potential to collapse a project as they can be quantified. Whether the project is achieving positive results you can not tell. the SMART principle applies even here

• The use of historical trends and existing published information is very important for us to set realistic targets

• The use of historical trends and existing published information is very important for us to set realistic targets

• Unrealistic targets can cause your donor to rate your project performance as poor, targets should be aligned to existing project budgets

M
    1 Reply
  • To estimate prevalence of lymphoedema in 100000 households within one month in the Lindi district which is not possible to assess all those houses in Lindi district within this study period as result it will hard to attain the target of the project.
    It is very important to create data flow map which will simplify the the work and as result it will assist in archiving the goal

• Unrealistic targets will cause the project not be realised and also will lead to frustration among project team members once they fail to realise the targets. Furthermore, because unrealistic targets may cause the project to lag behind schedule, funding from donors may be affected.

• I agree that goal setting should be data driven, which is really a good thing. Also, returning to it to add seems to me to be a more realistic alternative. I have known in the past projects which started implementation with ambitious but unrealistic goals. To adapt to the context of the project, the necessary adjustments were made.

• Targets should depend on base line data, stakeholder expectations, project budget and time frame. That's what I understand for the targets. To reach our targets that we should be ambitious realistic. But sometime, if it something change that we might adjust our targets. Your targets can be quantity, quality or efficiency.

• Indicators
    These are the things that you will measure. Indicators show how successful your project is. Indicators DO NOT include the specific numbers or percentages that you would like to reach. Examples of indicators include:

The number of children who receive vaccines

The percentage of donated funds that reach families

• Sometimes the targets become unrealistic due to time constraints and human capital needed.

• Sometimes the targets become unrealistic due to time constraints and human capital needed.

• Setting unrealistic targets suggests that it’s increasingly unlikely that your team will be able to achieve them. If your team regularly misses targets, this could lead to questions raised from your own donors, asking why your team are underachieving/ underperforming which they may miss end result. Subsequently, in many instances this will mean in order for your team to achieve unrealistic targets, they may be forced to rush work, cut corners and not take proper care. This can lead to mistakes and poor quality outcomes. Furthermore, If one set the budget based on unrealistic targets, one may be surprised when project costs overrun. If your deadline is also unrealistic, team may need to spend longer on the project and work overtime, which all adds to your overall cost.

Additionally, if project goal/s are constantly unrealistic, team can feel like they’re not achieving. This can impact self-esteem, motivation, and productivity, which can damage project bottom-line. Importantly, another aspect is that If targets are regularly set too high, team will constantly fail to meet them. Over time, this failure can almost become accepted . As a result, team may no longer try their absolute hardest, even if targets are lowered. This can have a detrimental effect on all future projects. As a result every team want to feel like they’re achieving their targets but are instead constantly being set up for failure. So, if you keep asking for the impossible, you can quickly lose the respect of your whole team and that of donors.

by virtue of that, in order to avoid unrealistic targets the first step is realizing that a project set unrealistic expectations. it is to review relevant or related previous projects, or ask your team if they think your targets are fair or unobtainable. therefore, it is important to note that just because you want something to be completed within a minimum prescribed period, doesn’t mean it can be completed in that timeframe. Take a step back, have objectivity is screening the your target and consider the amount of work required and what resources you have available, before setting a deadline. This also applies to targets that are being pushed on you from donors too. lastly, Instead of setting targets and then putting increased pressure on a team to perform, try supporting your team as much as possible (this might include mentoring and monitoring) to help them achieve the best they can. Remember that the best leaders don’t manage; they lead!, therefore a leader lead those who follow by good example.

• Unrealistic targets are the targets that are too difficult to implement our goals and objectives . We need to adjust our targets based on our availability of resources .

• It is very paramount to reach the community yourself to find out the real information yourself. We found out some volunteers in our organization had develop cold fit thereby filling the survey form by their selves in stead of reaching the town or the local to flu d out about their real issues

• Targets foster efforts towards results. It's great. But when setting targets we must take the time to ponder over the constraints, such as time, money and social context. Otherwise e will be disappointed!

• Ambitus target, un-achievable

• Before we set the target, we need to verify if the target is attainable in project period. If the target becomes unattainable during the project due to unexpected variable (ex: COVID-19), It is important to make quick analysis and change the target in real situation.

N
    1 Reply
  • Do not set a goal high and too high because the achievements would be difficult to achieve and if this is not achieved it could disappoint the team member and the sponsors of the study.

• Ambious target, un-achievable

• Set a target without any supporting data like a baseline data, collecting new data or maybe the project don’t have any existing data can be unrealistic. Don’t set targets too ambitious because to impress clients, set a targets to ensure we can achieve that.

• I would like to understand more about these unrealistic goals.

• Setting unrealistic target can have impact in your project (which might totally take you back), so is therefore important part of any project to set a target/goals that will be easy to achieve.

• This module has been really useful as this is something i've always struggled with, i think really understanding other interventions and conducting a thorough literature review is a first great step in setting targets. NOPE's strategy of choosing a midway between best and worst case scenario is such a great tip for me.

C
    1 Reply
  • Often times we overlook the data or trends that are already in place to create a baseline and that makes us set targets that will not have the impact we would like to, or we do not take into account the government restrictions or exchange rates and we set unrealistic targets.

• Setting unrealistic targets put pressure on project team members resulting in cutting corners to achieve targets

• The Go to foundation hope to trained 1500 Peer Educators by March 2021, but with the uncertainty of times we live in due to the Covid-19 pandemic this target appears unrealistic and would have to be adjusted

• Number of loans granted >>> 200 loans will be provided by November 2020

• Unrealistic targets are targets that are set but that do not feel to reached in the measure of the possible.

• Unrealistic targets are targets that are set but that do not feel to be reached in the measure of the possible.
    This is why wa have to pay attention by analyzing all inputs to inpacts to judge wheter your targets will be realized.

• Unrealistic targets can lead to frustration and bridge of trust between organizations, beneficiaries and funders

• The targets that one sets must be realistic. This simply means that, the desired result must achievable. So as one sets a target, it is important that the target is not unrealistic. Unrealistic targets are targets that can not be met with the resources that are available for use for the project. These resource could be money, time and access to people whose help you might need. And it importantly a target must always be in line or be related and relevant to the project.

• If you say that someone is being unrealistic, you mean that they do not recognize the truth about a situation, especially about the difficulties involved in something they want to achieve.

4 Ways to Handle Unrealistic Targets
    Don't panic. As humans, our instinctive reaction to anything that threatens our job security or earning potential is to worry about it.
    Adjust your approach. Depending on what and how you sell, fine-tune your approach. ...
    Assess your working practices.
    Speak up.

• Really, this yet another important aspect of planning M&E, that is setting an ambitious but realistic targets. It is clear that unrealistic will demoralize and disappoint your project team, sponsors and you as an individual.

• Unrealistic targets are those that are set without putting into considerations important elements that inform a baseline of a project. Unrealistic targets are set also when we do not factor in historical trends, beneficiaries opinions and budget limitations.

J
    1 Reply
  • Well we humans operate in real world there is need to be rational in thought so as to achieve the goals of our projects

• From historical trend are we able to just predict the next target
    Yes we are able to predict the next target because history shows how the trend have been moving

J
    1 Reply

• A target is unrealistic if there is no baseline. Setting a baseline is paramount to setting an ambitious and yet realistic target.

J
    1 Reply
  • Targets needs to be realistically achievable. The is no point setting yourself up for failure

F
    1 Reply
  • Unrealistic targets are ambitious and not realistic especially in relation to resources such as time, personnel and money

• More often than not, we are hard on ourselves by setting unrealistic targets in the quest to please our donors. A project failure could be attributed to unrealistic targets at times; success of a project is measured by juxtaposing the targets to the outputs/outcomes as well as impacts.

• setting unrealistic target will frustrate the enthusiastic team member and disappoint the project beneficiaries. why the donors might withdraw from future project funding from the organization.

• "To set targets, we will need to use data, not feelings". This is true and for this, we need data since numbers and facts aid us the evaluate our capability to reach the goal we seek within the constraints of time, money, and the quality.

• Targets need to be feasibly and practically achievable. historical data can assist in setting targest

• A target is unrealistic if it is not supported by the project budget, research findings, expert opinion and stakeholder expectations.

• When you set unrealistic target you will not be taken serious, I enjoyed the lecture

• In regards to unrealistic Targets usually it begins in the first stage of monitoring and evaluation if you are an able to have a stable understanding of the goal you end up having an unrealistic target

• Unrealistic targets are targets set but is impossible to achieve them maybe due to inadequate funds or any other factors. This targets affect project experts negatively. For example planning to supply 16000 sanitary towels to school girls yet there is only money to purchase 5000 towels. here the target is unachievable. its advisable to set realistic targets , be optimistic while setting targets. Set targets that can be changed in an occurrence like inadequate funds and other uncontrollable factors.

• Target is very important to measure the indicator, but when it comes out as unrealistic it block the project achievement and the project may be judged as unsuccessful.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.