Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• The tools and information have been great in better understanding the foundations for general advocacy, and to home some great plans.

I do feel we should be careful in our approaches not to overly simplify or to forget that the situational context or even key players can often bring a need for out-of-the-box approaches. An example can be found in the quiz in this module. In quiz question 2 regarding motivating religious leaders to act - the correct course quiz answer was media advocacy. In my opinion as influencers it might even be more appropriate to visit with these leaders and lobby. These are people persons - active in their own faith communities so a personal visit from ideally a member of both our advocacy group and the faith group could be more effective. Media campaigns are costly and we have no quarantee that religious leaders are active media consumers - but they do respond to needs and input from their congregation members - or those living in the communities they serve.

The ideas in the boxes are great to prime the ideas pump - but we always need to consider our audience and their roles in our messaging/action motivating approaches.

• This captures it perfectly!

• I think there are some communication snafs that are just a language difference here for me.
    It is good to identify the order of things to do to bring change though, and having a list laid out will inform my practice moving forward.

• well, this module reveals that tactics are necessary to endure our advocacy strategy scheme to reach the desired impetus and to have successful outcomes
    1- By targeting the right audience
    2-By sharing the concept with influencers and effective organization
    3- And find the right motivation tools to pursue the integration of goal

• well understood of the topic

• Hlo gjllkk Kaksmsnzbx alzlzkxbxb wjanidb akPkcb pPzndbdj pKzjdb Kpsnhzhz

• BsjJz sbsjsjzix hsizkzkshx sjsjxjdhfn sisjxjxhhx djdjdjdhfb jeksjdndbx x

• Hsgshd fisjshxhfbx papslzkz xjskdkxkxjx sjdjdjxjx dkdkdn

• I also think that one needs to understand the capacity, interest, and ability of the targeted audience

• Modules abit tricky but easy ...take a heart we shall make it

• Learning how to use tactics is very important

• I also think that one needs to understand the capacity, interest, and ability of the targeted audience

• I cant understand properly but i can explain to you what i have taken from the 30 minute discussion. As advocates we need to know that we can either operate in a political sphere that is open , semi-open or restrictive therefore, it is essential to know what kind of political sphere here we are operating in. Another essential issue to take note of is how we relay our message to the decision makers .For example Ruth and Rajesh noted that even if the decision makers have reservations on how they want advocates to relay messages out to the public we should change our way of conveyance in away that does not compromise our core values

• I also found this particular module and quiz tricky. The very specific terminology (I presumed in the US) does not line up with the terminology more often used in my country. I found the definitions included in the reading very useful though.

• It was an eye opener to me to see from now on the process of change as a continuum (spreading awareness, increasing will or creating action/ability.

• i think there is need to read through the advocacy strategy on the reading section to get a better understanding

• intergrity all the way

• this module sheds light on the parties involved that we can target and the continuum of influence we can have on them , which we may not pay attention on as we usually only think of raising public awareness

• I also failed on 1st attempt. Being that it was a 1/1 attempt quiz, my later understanding of how the matrix works will help me further should I meet it at a later question.

The good part is that the provided answers gave a clue of how to read the matrix.

• I haven't receive assignments for module. 3

• I haven't receive assignments for module. 3

• An advocacy strategy should make allowance for proactive and reactive advocacy. So in other words there will be issues that the organisation has identified that it wants to tackle and proactively sets up a strategy for that, but on the other hand, it also needs to have the resources and plans in place to respond to issues as they arise and which require a much quicker turnaround time.

• What tactics are needed to be selecting

• I have become more knowledgeable on the how problems can be solved using the right steps and all this i have learnt through advocacy. Advocacy is one of the most important aspects in the political area and even education sector.I will definitely consider advocacy from now henceforth since it makes problem solving so easy.

• The course is very explanatory and detailed and yet concise.

• The Advocacy Strategy Framework gives me the clear view selecting the appropriate advocacy tactics. At the meanwhile it takes efforts to internalize the concept and applying it.

• The Advocacy Strategy Framework gives me the clear view selecting the appropriate advocacy tactics. At the meanwhile it takes efforts to internalize the concept and applying it.

• I have learned alot from this module. Most importantly is the better understanding I have gained from the salient meanings and indicators of some of the general terms used in advocacies and campaigns.

• Same here with me it's getting tougher

• That's was cool

• Alot of great lessons from the the first three modules on how best to implement an advocacy strategy inorder to yield the required results

• the module was really great and learnt a lot due there was little things that I didn't understand. Now many strategies has been learnt for improving my advocacy projects

• Resources like time and money. The advocacy strategy can not be implemented effectively if one has not planned to spend a substantial amount of time on it but also money is highly needed.

• Resources like time and money. The advocacy strategy can not be implemented effectively if one has not planned to spend a substantial amount of time on it but also money is highly needed.

• What is the particular problem

• Everything is great. The course is amazing.

• Все замечательно!

• My personal pet project that I am trying to work through with this course is this... I work at a community college in Texas. I work in the Office of Student Life and Engagement and work directly with student clubs and orgs. Over the last few years there has been a HUGE shift in resources that have been allocated to student life and in particular clubs. There is however, one group on campus that has gained more support through funding than any single other group at all. This is an honor society and I am not saying that these students don't deserve the funds. But if them getting $350K a year means other groups don't get anything, I have a problem. My advocacy goal is to convince our upper administration that funding for the lower achieving students is still needed and in fact can help to boost their GPA. They have plenty of money. There is no reason that other groups shouldn't get some kind of funding.

Other things that I need to consider when I approach my administration are:

• what are my student's current grades (we will be compared so I need to be able to address the issue)
    • what do my students need funding for?
    • what time of the year am I asking? Is this an election year? What Trustees truly support my groups?
      And the big one - What statistical data can I bring to the administration to support my request?

On of the biggest challenges that I have to face is that many of the upper administration didn't have to go to a community college. They came from well-off families that sent them straight to a university. Since they didn't live the life of a community college student and they very rarely work with the students, what do I need to show them to make them understand?

• Understanding...thank u

• On organisation they should also study for advocacy as well

• Other things to consider in changes especially under will when building advocacy theories are; opinion (people must take a position on an issue), intensity (people need to hold their opinion strongly), salience (though people hold their opinion strongly they will act on issues relevant to them), capacity (the know-how to take action when called upon), and willingness(whatever it takes to express an idea).

• The module is more complex than 1 and 2. I have to read all over again get the points.

E
    1 Reply
  • I agree with you on this, carefully selecting of audiences is so important.

• The framework is quit deep, one would need to review it more often to get a better understanding of how to apply it.

• I had a hard time conceive the out come

O
    1 Reply
  • One really needs a proper attention to digest all of it.

• I found module 3 a difficult to understand I also failed my quiz n you get only a single time to do it, so for me it's give in more time reading, I think listening to the podcast to will give better understanding.

• t is important to maintain integrity in developing and implementing an advocacy strategy.

• I found this module to be heavy difficult

• I never realized the important role decision/policy makers have in the catalyst for change. This has been very informative and the Mapping an Advocacy Strategy figure is very helpful!

• I think that when you are considering an advocacy strategy, you always need to look at what else is going on in the landscape. Timing, other factors, outside influences, willingness of partners etc... are all things that you need to consider. I also think, as the reading suggested, that interim outcomes can be good sources of knowing if you are on track or off track. Much advocacy work is lengthy and feels like you are spinning your wheels and not getting anywhere. This is why interim outcomes or "little wins" can be important to keep your focus or to keep you on track.

• There are other things to consider in advocacy work apart from desired changes, context, audience and related strategies, as well as organizational capacity;

1. one has to consider the organizations role which sets limits within which advocacy activities can be carried out. As such it is important to look into the organization's constitution to find whether the advocacy activities falls within their scope.
    2. An organization must have sufficient and detailed research and knowledge about the issue they are passionate about to persuade others or change their attitude or behavior through building credible and compelling case.
    3. Apart from the political context, an organization should also consider the socio-cultural context within which they operate which affects their ability to build alliances with or make entry into communities in which they want to help.
    4. It is essential that advocacy goals and objectives be conceptualized within the SMART framework which is critical for result measurement of the activities, intermediate, and long time outcomes.
    5. In terms of communication, an organization should consider the diverse platforms and target audience for effectiveness. For instance, young people can sometimes be effectively reached through available platforms. The audience also determines how to package information.
  • Strategy is highly essential for a successful advocacy

• Designing advocacy tactics should be done with the ultimate impact in mind, that is where the theory of change serves as a spine through out the process. One need to take into cogniznce the communication needs of the audience, the problem the advocacy seeks to solve, offer solutions through a call to action. this is because advocacy should pass from awareness, to will to the ppint of taking action.

• Nice and interesting topic. If we follow this pattern on described here then all things being equal progress is certain

• The reading is really helpful to provide better understanding of each targets having suitable strategies and tactics to target.

• all parameters should be duely checked before a strategy can be identified.

• This one seemed a bit all over the place and hard to understand. I felt so confident in my understanding after the first two, but this one left me a little lost, and I failed my quiz on this one. I think that's mainly because i like to have examples for the question, and know details to be able to give a more confident answer.

• I found the Advocacy Strategy Framework to be incredible useful and surprisingly time-relevant.

E
    1 Reply
  • English is a West Germanic language of the Indo-European language family, originally spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England.[3][4][5] It is named after the Angles, one of the ancient Germanic peoples that migrated from Anglia, a peninsula on the Baltic Sea (not to be confused with East Anglia in England), to the area of Great Britain later named after them: England. The closest living relatives of English include Scots, followed by the Low Saxon and Frisian languages. While English is genealogically West Germanic, its vocabulary is also distinctively influenced by dialects of French (about 29% of modern English words) and Latin (also about 29%), as well as by Old Norse (a North Germanic language).[6][7][8] Speakers of English are called Anglophones.

English
    Pronunciation
    /ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ/[1]
    Ethnicity
    English people
    Anglo-Saxons (historically)
    Native speakers
    360–400 million (2006)[2]
    L2 speakers: 750 million;
    as a foreign language: 600–700 million[2]
    Language family
    Indo-European
    Germanic
    West Germanic
    North Sea Germanic
    Anglo-Frisian
    Anglic
    English
    Early forms
    Old English
    Middle English
    Early Modern English
    Writing system
    Latin (English alphabet)
    Anglo Saxon runes (historically)
    English Braille, Unified English Braille
    Signed forms
    Manually coded English
    (multiple systems)
    Official status
    Official language in
    59 countries
    27 non-sovereign entities
    Various organisations
    United Nations
    European Union
    Commonwealth of Nations
    Council of Europe

• You have completed this assignment. Your final grade will be available when the assessments of your response are complete.

• You have completed this assignment. Your final grade will be available when the assessments of your response are complete.

• The earliest forms of English, collectively known as Old English, evolved from a group of West Germanic (Ingvaeonic) dialects brought to Great Britain by Anglo-Saxon settlers in the 5th century and further mutated by Norse-speaking Viking settlers starting in the 8th and 9th centuries. Middle English began in the late 11th century after the Norman conquest of England, when considerable French (especially Old Norman) and Latin-derived vocabulary was incorporated into English over some three hundred years.[9][10] Early Modern English began in the late 15th century with the start of the Great Vowel Shift and the Renaissance trend of borrowing further Latin and Greek words and roots into English, concurrent with the introduction of the printing press to London. This era notably culminated in the King James Bible and plays of William Shakespeare.[11][12]

Modern English has spread around the world since the 17th century as a consequence of the worldwide influence of the British Empire and the United States of America. Through all types of printed and electronic media of these countries, English has become the leading language of international discourse and the lingua franca in many regions and professional contexts such as science, navigation and law.[3] Modern English grammar is the result of a gradual change from a typical Indo-European dependent-marking pattern, with a rich inflectional morphology and relatively free word order, to a mostly analytic pattern with little inflection, and a fairly fixed subject–verb–object word order.[13] Modern English relies more on auxiliary verbs and word order for the expression of complex tenses, aspect and mood, as well as passive constructions, interrogatives and some negation.

English is the most spoken language in the world (if Chinese is divided into variants)[14] and the third-most spoken native language in the world, after Standard Chinese and Spanish.[15] It is the most widely learned second language and is either the official language or one of the official languages in 59 sovereign states. There are more people who have learned English as a second language than there are native speakers. As of 2005, it was estimated that there were over 2 billion speakers of English.[16] English is the majority native language in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand (see Anglosphere) and the Republic of Ireland, and is widely spoken in some areas of the Caribbean, Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania.[17] It is a co-official language of the United Nations, the European Union and many other world and regional international organisations. It is the most widely spoken Germanic language, accounting for at least 70% of speakers of this Indo-European branch. There is much variability among the many accents and dialects of English used in different countries and regions in terms of phonetics and phonology, and sometimes also vocabulary, idioms, grammar, and spelling, but it does not typically prevent understanding by speakers of other dialects and accents, although mutual unintelligibility can occur at extreme ends of the dialect continuum.

• I am not sure if the targeted persons will be as responsive as my analysis maybe be, and also thinking about which other entry points i can use. They may be some level of draw back because of different admin shuffles that happen in some of the different government offices that we want to influence change with.

• THE PODCAST IS TOO COMPLEX

E
    1 Reply
  • Try it later ,weather conditions.are been favourable to you

• I hope to get the best out of this course

• Is Ballé Emmanuel

• I was also having a hard time understanding.

• I feel the same way,it's hard applying the same tactics organisation's problem especially because the problem is not as big.

• Context where advocacy conducted.

• Advocacy for children's.

• I am delighted to understand the Advocacy Strategy framework and to see how they connect with one another, some strategies intersect in a way that they can serve the public and influencers and others can serve influencers and decision-makers. organizations just need to understand what their activities are about in terms of your activity promoting just awareness to who? will to who? and action to who? for advocacy to be effective. I have also learned that we need to know our strengths/capacities and limitations as well as those of the organizations around us or those we would like to consider working with so that advocacy is done with joint efforts.

• The Advocacy Strategy Framework is a helpful tool for selecting the appropriate advocacy tactics, but despite reading and listening to podcast, still is hardly understandable. Need to be simplified a bit please.

L
    E
    2 Replies
  • In this session I have learnt more on tactics to apply on choosing an advocacy strategy and appropriate advocacy tactics for an effective advocacy intervention.

• Other things to consider can be ethnicity on several issues in that particular area, District or region you're targeting. We should always consider their political,educational, religious, cultural, tribal affiliations.

• there are other things to consider apart from the strategy framework which may lead to the success of advocacy

• I feel the other thing to another to consider when developing new policies is to ensure that people with lived experience have a seat the table and their voices are heard and respected; for example marginalized groups, those effected by substance abuse and domestic violence, the disabled, the unhoused, Twin Spirit, and members of the LBTGQ+ community.

• I feel the other thing to another to consider when developing new policies is to ensure that people with lived experience have a seat the table and their voices are heard and respected; for example marginalized groups, those effected by substance abuse and domestic violence, the disabled, the unhoused, Twin Spirit, and members of the LBTGQ+ community.

E
    1 Reply
  • One important aspect to consider when mapping the audience intrisic and or extrinsic motivations is to try to figure out the hidden motivations, those that are not easy to identify but can have an important impact on the advocacy strategy success.

E
    1 Reply
  • I found the reading on Advocacy Strategy Framework - A Tool for TOCs very enlightening and complementary to the podcast. Recommend the reading.

E
    1 Reply
  • from what have learnt, i think media advocacy is a powerful tool for advocacy tactics. it has helped in carrying out information to the public.

• @ChidinmaOnukogu said in Module 3 Discussion: Other Things to Consider:

It is important to maintain integrity in developing and implementing an advocacy strategy. An advocacy organisation has to maintain independence even in its bid to provide support to government officials and organisations. This will ensure that they do not pass off to the public as government moles or two sided.

I agree. When carrying out advocacy, being independent and open minded is important

• I really liked the graphic presented that showed the different advocacy groups and strategies.

• What area do you not understand?

• I completely agree with you

• Where can I find that again pls?

• Exactly. Their voices hit differently. Decision makers are forced to understand the gravity of the issue face-to-face.

• Yes. Otherwise they will not be compelled to take any action.

• I understand dear. Try reading the transcript and viewing the slides side by side. It might help.

• Try downloading the transcripts instead. You can read at your pace and make simplified notes. Hope that helps?

• I agree with you. Advocacy was always so complex to me until now

• I agree. Try learning at your pace.

• I agree , the size and level of education of the target audience is key to formulating a good strategy .

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.