Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Monitoring and evaluation are important aspects of program design and also integrated in the logical frame work aligned to the verification of the set indicators of the program cycle.
    monitoring focuses on the progress, and course correction and evaluation focuses on the value, impact, effectiveness, cost wise validation , policy drafting aspect. monitoring is more focused towards internal agendas and evaluation is more towards the external factors.

• I think designing the M&E plan will enable a project team to understand how to quantify the performance of the project, if the project is not effective, it can be identified in the initial stages and corrective measures can be taken immediately. With the help of the defined metrics, it is also easier to document and scale up these projects in various other areas.

1 Reply
  • Means of verification to donors and all project stakeholders that the project is on track.

• I think you should start an M&e plan because it will help the organisation measure its progress,
    see whether they are having any impact,they will also be able to track any issues along the way and will have data to be able to communicate to donors.

• on my side, i think you should create a M&E plan that will help you to identify the problems that your project can encounters and this will help you to avoid all possibilities of project failure.

• @Marizolg12 said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

they

I think you should create an M & E plan because it will allow you to communicate the success of your project to donors, which will allow you to continue to get funded. The chances of receiving continued funding for the project would be greatly reduced if you cannot provide convincing stats in your reports and proposals.

• @Tekuor said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

M&E plan is important to the MEH as it will set the goals of the project and then team members could work towards achieving it. They will get to know how well they are preforming by deciding how their progress will be measured. The plan will also help them collect data which can be analysed to help improve performance. They are also able to report to their sponsors how well they performed with evidence to back their claims.

I think that you should create M&E plan because having the plan will help you to have successful project for funding and also it will guide you to choose the best data collection tool

J
    1 Reply
  • @darcygray said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think you should create an M & E plan because it will allow you to communicate the success of your project to donors, which will allow you to continue to get funded. The chances of receiving continued funding for the project would be greatly reduced if you cannot provide convincing stats in your reports and proposals. Furthermore, constructing an MEL plan will help you to weigh the pros and cons of different indicators that your team is debating.

@oolacosmas said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Good morning/Afternoon or Evening whatever time it is, Manager i was thinking you should create an M&E plan because;- assess the stakeholders’ understanding of the project;
    -You will be able minimize the risk of project failure;
    -Promote systematic and professional management; and
    -Assess progress in implementation.
    -It will assists you to determine the degree of achievement of the objectives.
    -Determine and identify the problems associated with programme planning and implementation.
    -It will generate data that allows for cumulative learning which, in turn, contributes to better designed
    programmes, improved management and a better assessment of their impact.
    -It assists in the reformulation of objectives, policies, and strategies in projects

@dishohh said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think you should create an M&E plan because it will clearly state the goals and objectives of the project and it will also help in the monitoring of the project activities. The M&E plan will also give guidance on data to be collected and to what extent, how will this data be collected and how it will be disseminated.the content of an M&E plan will also attract the attention of donors thus ensuring continuous funding of the project.
    @darcygray.The MEL plan is also key as it will inform on feasible project activities and help in prioritization of the activities

• @BettyG said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@Tekuor said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

M&E plan is important to the MEH as it will set the goals of the project and then team members could work towards achieving it. They will get to know how well they are preforming by deciding how their progress will be measured. The plan will also help them collect data which can be analysed to help improve performance. They are also able to report to their sponsors how well they performed with evidence to back their claims.

I think that you should create M&E plan because having the plan will help you to have successful project for funding and also it will guide you to choose the best data collection tool

I concur with this ....besides M& E helping in the setting of project objectives it will also inform whether the project interventions are relevant in addressing the problem under study

• @Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

ng the content in Mo

The reason is very simple, do you want to continue getting funds or not and that's how the development sector works. By defining a comprehensive M&E plan, the project manager can get things rolling. This sets your direction. You will get motivation to start working. Also, you know where you want to go, what are your intended goals. Along the way, you can adjust the plan if you have a plan in the first place.

• The reason is very simple, do you want to continue getting funds or not and that's how the development sector works. By defining a comprehensive M&E plan, the project manager can get things rolling. This sets your direction. You will get motivation to start working. Also, you know where you want to go, what are your intended goals. Along the way, you can adjust the plan if you have a plan in the first place.

• Good morning,whatever time it is, Manager i was thinking you should create an M&E plan because;- assess the stakeholders’ understanding of the project;
    -Determine and identify the problems associated with programme planning and implementation.
    -It will generate data that allows for cumulative learning which, in turn, contributes to better designed
    -It assists in the reformulation of objectives, policies, and strategies in projects

S
    E
    2 Replies
  • I think that you should create an M&E plan because before beginning the project. Therefore, there will be a clear plan for what questions about the program need to be answered. It will help program staff decide how they are going to collect data to track indicators, how monitoring data will be analyzed, and how the results of data collection will be disseminated both to the donor and internally among staff members for program improvement.

• I feel it will be better for the Manager to have an M&E plan in order for the manager to be in track with the progress of the planned project, if the manager s to see good results.

• Greetings.

Professionally as well as personally we conduct activities that require clear understanding and record. I believe for an organization to successfully hold and execute a project/campaign M&E is essential.

-It provides clarity to all the stakeholders; of the processes and implementation.
    -Helps prepare impact analysis.
    -M&E makes the entire task more authentic - with data, records, information of stakeholders, etc.
    -To access the short term and long term targets.
    -To identify the flaws and limitations in the processes.
    -M&E plan of any project act provide substantial material for further research.

Sabhimanvi.

L
    E
    2 Replies
  • @Dsquare said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Good morning,whatever time it is, Manager i was thinking you should create an M&E plan because;- assess the stakeholders’ understanding of the project;

Very thorough explained. M&E does plays pertinent role in minimizing error of risk.
    Looking forward to learn more from this course and your experience Sir/Ma'am.

I think you should create an M & E plan because it will allow you to track the development and improvement of you organization. it will enable you to know where you are going and where you are from. through monitoring, you will assess the risks and assumptions of your project.

• @Bibi4Bibi said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@PiliraniTembo said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@gbenlaquence said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@NanaYAdu said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think this is such a well-thought out set of reasons. I am glad you brought up learning, but often times in M&E there is the tendency to forget how to incorporate our partners or stakeholders in the process and as an organization creating avenues for participation/collaboration is crucial.

Good morning/Afternoon or Evening whatever time it is, Manager i was thinking you should create an M&E plan because;- assess the stakeholders’ understanding of the project;

Those are great insight there!

For sure it is a proper reason for creation of the M&E goals since is a fundamental tool for knowing the achievements and monitoring progress.

I totally agree that having an M&E plan will help reduce risk of project failure

• I think you should start an M&E plan because it will help you to set your precise objectives, set your indicators, come up with strategies of how you can succeed and how you will implement them. It will also help you identify all stakeholders needed to make MEH a success and involve them. You can always re-evaluate the progress of the project and be able to account to your stakeholders.

• @Sabhimanvi said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Greetings.

Professionally as well as personally we conduct activities that require clear understanding and record. I believe for an organization to successfully hold and execute a project/campaign M&E is essential.

-It provides clarity to all the stakeholders; of the processes and implementation.
    -M&E makes the entire task more authentic - with data, records, information of stakeholders, etc.

Sabhimanvi.

I totally agree with you.

• @Loraini said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think you should create an M&E plan because it will help you determine if the project has achieved its intended outcome and outputs with the available resources provided and to also measure its impact over time.

Even if the project was not successful as intended, the analyzed data will help you to re-evaluate your strategies and work towards meeting your objectives.

• I encourage you to create an M&E plan because of the following:

• It helps you to measure the progress of your project according to the set goals.
    • In case anything starts to go wrong in your project, you will be able to identify the problem immediately and make necessary changes.
    • It provides valuable project data which your donor may need to see.
  • I think that you should create an M&E plan because it will help you identify the progress of your project and also develop logframe and indicators which will enhance easy evaluation of the project

A
    1 Reply
  • @Bmoraa said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think you should create an M&E plan to be able to keep tract on how the project is doing in terms of resources, budgeting data reporting and whether the objectives were achieved at the end of the project.

Also have learning on what worked and what didn't work

Yes...a good M&E plan gives you a direction on how to carry on with your project

• @Bmoraa said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think you should create an M&E plan to be able to keep tract on how the project is doing in terms of resources, budgeting data reporting and whether the objectives were achieved at the end of the project.

Also have learning on what worked and what didn't work

Yes...a good M&E plan gives you a direction on how to carry on with your project

• I think you should create an M&E plan so that your donors can see, not only the amount of loans that are being given out, but also the success rate, purpose and effectiveness of each loan. This will will better serve your organisation in the future as partners and funders are more likely to participate in future fundrasing activities once the correct data is presented. Not only that, but the M&E plan, as well as its corresponding report, will allow you to asses how well the project is going, and even make improvements as necessary.

• @Paulngusha said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think that you should create an M&E plan because it will help you identify the progress of your project and also develop logframe and indicators which will enhance easy evaluation of the project

I agree, it is vaital to keep an eye on progress throughout the project, so that during the eveluation process it will become easier to notice any downfalls and successes.

• @Kwesi1992 said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think MEH should create a M&E plan because in addition to my fellow peer's contribution it will show credibility and accountability of the project. as it stands right now MEH seems Like a dodgy project that simply got into it for the money. additionally a M&E plan will show the project's likelihood of continuity and sustenance which even though it may have does have the feasible data to support it.

Agreed, without an M&E plan the sustainability and success of a particular project is dubious, to say the least.

M
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@LawalGodwin said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Good Day Gentlemen and Ladies, I think M& E is very important in this type of project

@LawalGodwin, Can you please give us examples to substantiate your claim that M&E is very important, so we all can learn from each other?

• @NJERI_KARIUKI said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

The MEH manager should prepare a M &E plan so as to be able to measure the progress of the project and be in a position to make informed decisions that are in line with the objectives and expected outcomes of the project

Yes, and relevant data, records and achievements will help to better improve and undertake future projects.

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because it helps you to have a clear picture of you results at different levels. Helps you to think through your results and how each would be measured. Most of all it helps you to also think through the connections of each level of result in other words the theory of change. The M&E plan is a guide to success if it is well done.

K
    1 Reply
  • @Sabhimanvi said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Greetings.

Sabhimanvi.

Yes. This is true. It provides us a summary of where we are headed and how we can draw our course towards the direction.

• Course Facilitator

@All Learners, My name is Alim and I'm a Course Ambassador(CA) for this course. My duty here is to help learners sail through this course easily. Please feel free to contact me or any of the other CA if you have any difficulty or you need some clarification when taking the course. I want to implore all learners to make sure they do and submit their assignments/peer reviews on time. I also want to take this opportunity to welcome you all and hope you will enjoyed every time spent. Have a pleasant day.

• @oolacosmas said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Your are totally right @oolacosmas of why to have an M&E plan is of great important before starting a project. But it is also good to note that it is important to collect informations on a daily or weekly bases so as to assess immediately any problem that arises

• @Dsquare said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Good morning,whatever time it is, Manager i was thinking you should create an M&E plan because;- assess the stakeholders’ understanding of the project;

"whatever time it is"-lol. It surely does help to minimize the risk of project failure. The M&E plan put all the project pieces together in a very reasonable way that guides to success. And even though I might say that the M&E plan can also be seen as a research proposal that holds the hypothesis, research question, assumptions, etc.

1 Reply
  • I think it is important to create an M&E plan because the plan will serve as a dashboard of the project. All activities that will be implemented, will be monitored by the indicators embedded in the plan. The success of the project will lie in strict follow-up and implementation of the same plan. Should any unplanned event occur, the plan will be able to capture it when time for evaluation comes. A project that doesn't have nor refer to their M&E plan, will be implementing activities without proper direction and will be devoid to failing.

S
    T
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@oolacosmas , thanks for sharing your thoughts! What type of monitoring and evaluation system does your organization currently use?

N
    1 Reply
  • @EbileDaudu said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@Dsquare said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

"whatever time it is"-lol. It surely does help to minimize the risk of project failure. The M&E plan put all the project pieces together in a very reasonable way that guides to success. And even though I might say that the M&E plan can also be seen as a research proposal that holds the hypothesis, research question, assumptions, etc.

Kindly elaborate more on how you perceive an M&E Plan as a research proposal. Sounds interesting to learn from you.

E
    1 Reply
  • The project manager of the GOOD's project can show how she/he got benefited using the M & E approach to the MEH's project manager.
    The following points can be highlighted:

1. Usage of M &E ensures that all the team members are oriented towards a common goal, since defining the objective is the the first step in M & E.
    2. With the usage of M&E , one makes a meaningful and measurable impact in the society which further attracts the donors or partners.
    3. Since the definition of objective is the first step in the M &E process, the team doesn't waste time and energy in anything other than the goal.
    4. Mounting enables the team to take a look at the progress of the program at frequent time interval. This helps the team to relook and redefine their program in case they find any fault or ineffectiveness.
  • I think most discussants have briefly mentioned the technical reasons why MEH project manager needs to do M&E.

If I am a GOOD's project manager (assuming that we are working in the same organization and no problem to share information about our projects), I would share examples of how M&E has helped us to collect different data, make informed decisions, report easily to our funders and how it has helped me to focus on a bigger picture as a project manager.

For instance (assuming we meet at cafeteria):
    Hey, I just listened to your team about the challenges you are going through and the important decision that you have to make.

Basing on your discussion, I am suggesting that you come up with M&E for MEH. We also had same challenges in GOOD but once we came up with a plan, it helped us to know if the savings account was changing the lives of the girls. So does to your team, you may be interested in find out to what extent are the microloans changing the girls' lives, what they think about accessing these microloans and what changes they would love to see in the project.

Additionally, M&E has facilitated my team to do reporting easy as we already have information that we regularly track through field officers. This will help you to focus on the bigger picture of the project.

I am sure with your team's M&E plan, we will be in position to access more funders and donors for our organization as we can easily determine the impact of our projects to the Kenyan girls and what changes we need to make for better services.

Let me know if your team needs any support, we can share. Alternatively, you can subscribe for a free online course on M&E via Philanthropy University website. Email me for a link.

Good day.

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because it is guide your project to success through Monitoring of implementing project activities and make sure it is leading to the planed goals moreover, Evaluation give you date that inform our decisions to achieving ultimate outcomes.

• @1976_Fred said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think it is important to create an M&E plan because the plan will serve as a dashboard of the project. All activities that will be implemented, will be monitored by the indicators embedded in the plan. The success of the project will lie in strict follow-up and implementation of the same plan. Should any unplanned event occur, the plan will be able to capture it when time for evaluation comes. A project that doesn't have nor refer to their M&E plan, will be implementing activities without proper direction and will be devoid to failing.

True that. It somehow also helps delegating tasks among various team members as it generates accountability.

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because it is guide your project to success through Monitoring of implementing project activities and make sure it is leading to the planed goals moreover, Evaluation give you date that inform our decisions to achieving ultimate outcomes.

• well, first of all i will tell him that without a monitoring plan he will never know what is going right or what is going wrong, a monitoring and evaluation plan is like a map, so he must know where he is, where he wants to go and how can he know that he has arrived.

W
    1 Reply
  • @zheenbekovb said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@NJERI_KARIUKI said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

The MEH manager should prepare a M &E plan so as to be able to measure the progress of the project and be in a position to make informed decisions that are in line with the objectives and expected outcomes of the project

What do you think about input?

In MEH, they are targeting girls by giving them microloans, therefore i guess the project inputs are the microloans they letting girls borrow but i stand to be corrected.

• I think its good for you to create an M&E Plan because it

1. Identfy the problem on the ground and
    2. Its going to be solved.
      3.You will set targets that you want to achieve in the M&E Plan.
    3. Develop a Theory of Change in the M&E Plan which will help you to map what you want to achieve.
    4. You will also outline your evaluation plans,
  • Good morning/Afternoon or Evening whatever time it is, Manager i think you should create an M7E plan because;

• it will guide you to see if your project is working towards its objectives
    • it guide you to access the success and failures of the project
    M
    1 Reply
  • I think u should create an M&E project that will help u evaluate and and monitor the project with what is planed already if the project functioning and be able to make informed decisions,
    Thanks

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because you need to be accountable to the donor. The plan will let you know which indicators need to be collected by who and when. Furthermore, this information can be analysed to help inform decision markers at all levels including your self about the performance of the project. Lastly, you will only be able to say if you project was a success if you have an M&E plan.

M
    1 Reply
  • @Lyslore_Reine said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think you should develope an M & E plan First of all, because its important for you to assess that your project is achieving set targets. For instance, by monitoring the development of the project you will easily understand whether strategic changes need to be made and act accordingly.

Second, M&E are relevant to donors who need to assess whether your organization is a reliable partner. By reviewing milestones and final outcomes of your projects, donors will decide on the accountability of your organization upon which further collaborations could be established. As such, M&E plan is of vital importance for your project.*

I totally agree with you when you say that donors will decide on the accountability of your organisation because the M&E plan serves as bench mark agreed by the donor and the implementer. The donor holds you accountable to what you have agreed.

• The importance of the manager having an M and E plan is,
    To be able to assess and check the progress of the project.This will be done in accordance to what would have been stated in the M and E plan.They will also manage to see where more effort is needed so as to have a favourable outcome in terms of their stated inputs and indicators.Having a plan in palce also allows the manager to have relevant data which will be relevant in measuring their progress and impact.

• @slubasi said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think that you should create an M&E plan because you need to be accountable to the donor. The plan will let you know which indicators need to be collected by who and when. Furthermore, this information can be analysed to help inform decision markers at all levels including your self about the performance of the project. Lastly, you will only be able to say if you project was a success if you have an M&E plan.

I totally agree with you,having an M and E plan makes you accountable to whatever you might do with funds given to you by the donor.

• @Rene_bate said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Good morning/Afternoon or Evening whatever time it is, Manager i think you should create an M7E plan because;

• it will guide you to see if your project is working towards its objectives
    • it guide you to access the success and failures of the project

Very true the M and E plan is like a yardstick which measures what you would have managed to achieve and of they are any failures and successes

• I would suggest the following to the Project Manager of MEH:

-They need to design an M & E plan which will be a strategy/road map to the direction they want to go as a project. The project manager must be aware that it will be very difficult to measure their impact/or outcome of the project if they do not have an M & E strategy to which can guide the project implementation and control of activities. The project needs to have a clear vision, so that it will easy to measure their achievements. The project manager must design a plan sothat they are able to respond to the quickly and appropriately to the challenges and opportunities. The results they want to get as a project will guide them to set the principles, approaches, and tools to use. They must be aware that their interventions will be measure as impact/results at the end of the implementation and it is this which can attract donor funding ( M & E) plan/or strategy, interventions and the results. The strategy will be able to make it easy to collect the data they want to get with the course of the project implementation.

• I think you should develop a M&E plan as it clearly shows the goals and objectives of the project, activities to be implemented, methods of monitoring and evaluation, data to be collected, tools for collecting that data , the frequency and by who. This gives guidance to the M&E team during the projects' life

• @Bruque said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

well, first of all i will tell him that without a monitoring plan he will never know what is going right or what is going wrong, a monitoring and evaluation plan is like a map, so he must know where he is, where he wants to go and how can he know that he has arrived.

I agree with you, M&E Plan is a road map.With no clear road map, then it becomes very hard for the project team to measure progress towards results and successes and areas of improvement

• i think Meh should create a precisely what goals are for the the m&e plans

• I think we should create an M&E plan Because it will show your prospective funder whether or not the project is feasible and measurable.
    It will point out if the objective are clear and if the problems stated to be solved are real ones.

• Firstly M&E plan should be created because, it is a document that helps to track and assess the results of the interventions throughout the life of a program. It is a living document that should be referred to and updated on a regular basis. which will greatly helped the program implementers.

• Your ideas are strong and well articulated!
    @Alim16 said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@oolacosmas , thanks for sharing your thoughts! What type of monitoring and evaluation system does your organization currently use?

• @DirectGIS said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Because it help them to know how to collect and use data.They will be also be able to measure the progress of their activities over time.Here they can ascertain if the project objectives have been attained.

I agree with your response . In addition it allows the project to make decisions improve program implementation in an efficient and effective way.

• @LawalGodwin said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Good Day Gentlemen and Ladies, I think M& E is very important in this type of project

Good day to you. I agree with you but you need to give reasons in support of your opinion.

• @1976_Fred said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@EbileDaudu said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@Dsquare said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Kindly elaborate more on how you perceive an M&E Plan as a research proposal. Sounds interesting to learn from you.

Yeah, Embedded in a research proposal is the intention to make inquiry either to add to knowledge or some other purpose. And so we strive to put all our intention clearly and logically stated in written form. The research proposal states methodology and the processes in which the purpose of the research is to be achieved. It puts forward the plan towards reaching the end of the research so also is the M&E plan. It puts forward the means of reaching the end of the project.

I think you should create an M & E plan because it will allow you to communicate the success of your project to donors, which will allow you to continue to get funded. The chances of receiving continued funding for the project would be greatly reduced if you cannot provide convincing stats in your reports and proposals. Furthermore, constructing an MEL plan will help you to weigh the pros and cons of different indicators that your team is debating.
    Greetings!!!!
    You are completely right on what you said in your comment about the need of an M and E plan for MEH,i share you point of view
    In addition to what you said an M and E plan is needed to measure the risk of failure or sucess of the project firstly and secondly to have viable data for donors.

Imagine that you are GOOD’s project manager. You are trying to convince MEH’s project manager to create an M&E plan. In the discussion forum, explain what you would you say to MEH’s project manager.
    Sample Post: I think that you should create an M&E plan because __________ .

Imagine that you are GOOD’s project manager. You are trying to convince MEH’s project manager to create an M&E plan. In the discussion forum, explain what you would you say to MEH’s project manager.

I think that you should create an M&E plan because it is important for you to assess that your project is achieving all set targets. Moreover, by monitoring the development of your project, you will easily understand whether strategic changes need to be made and thus enable you to act accordingly.
    Also note that if you have received funds from donors, they will need to assess whether you are reliable as a partner. An M&E plan will confirm transparency and accountability of your NGO as the donors will be able to review and understand the various milestones and final outcomes of your projects.
    This plan will not only help the overall consistency of the project but it will also enable the donor to assess both partial and final results of the project and help you provide evidence on how the final output has been reached.
    Moreover, and M&E plan will serve the purpose of making what you do visible in the sense that it provides tools and instruments to communicate with your donor and the wider public throughout the implementation of the project. This will contribute to successful communication thus establishing further collaborations

J
    1 Reply

• M&E is a very effective method to prove to the bank that you have a detailed plan laid out for the pursuit of funding . It helps motivate as an agile method that shows step by step plans and progress towards established goals . with a Monitoring and Evaluation plan laid out , the chances for success with a loan requests are also very high . MEH will automatically get the funding if they have a well planned out M&E foundation .

• i think you should create an M&E plan because it is the most effective method to prove to the bank that you have a detailed plan laid out for the pursuit of funding . It helps motivate as an agile method that shows step by step plans and progress towards established goals . with a Monitoring and Evaluation plan laid out , the chances for success with a loan requests are also very high . MEH will automatically get the funding if they have a well planned out M&E foundation . The non-hands on members of the MEH group also have a backdrop to look at to look at when following up on the project 's schedule .

• Doromankaa, i am with you on this point. I think that is is important to know what your goals right from the beginnign and how you are intending to achieve them. With an M&E plan, it makes it easy for you to assess these goals and if our project is achieving all set targets. If not, then, it gives you the possibility to get back on the drawing board and makes strategic changes that are required to bring you back on the road to success.

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because it will help you to have a well structure program, you will be able to measure progress, identify Problems & minimize risk of project failure, it ensure timeliness,accountability, transparency and allow you to communicate project success to donors.

• @ahmed_elmi said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@Kwesi1992 said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think MEH should create a M&E plan because in addition to my fellow peer's contribution it will show credibility and accountability of the project. as it stands right now MEH seems Like a dodgy project that simply got into it for the money. additionally a M&E plan will show the project's likelihood of continuity and sustenance which even though it may have does have the feasible data to support it.

Agreed, without an M&E plan the sustainability and success of a particular project is dubious, to say the least.

Ahmed you make me laugh - i am not sure where you got that MEH is a dodgy project that simply got into it for the money. Is it because it is a project that will allow girls to borrow small amounts of money. Could it be that MEH do not have the expertise that GOOD has and that they only need assistance in coming up with a n M&E plan and ways to measure their activities and decide what they will use as indicators of measurement. To me both indicators mentioned above could work. Initially the loans themselves to see how many of the girls would approach MEH and obtain the loans and then to see how many businesses are opened from receipt of these loans. Anyone with me on this point? Would like to see some discussion so that we can straight away dispel this presumption that MEH is a dodgy project. haha

G
    1 Reply
  • I think that you should create an M&E plan because it will help you collect information that will measure the process of the your project. It will also help you track the performance and the effectiveness of the project, which in turn allows you to scale how well you have achieved your objectives and then enables you to know the necessary area for adjustment.

• I think it is important to start a M&E plan because it will allow to keep track of the way the project is progressing numbers wise as well as quality wise. This will provide the manager with crucial information if the project is going well or not. If not, it will alert the manager so that he can overcame these issue. Finally, it creates a platform to a better reporting of the data to the donors.

• I think that M&E have to be created to assess of the project is achieving objectives that were set. It allows the manager to better understand if strategic changes are needed and act accordingly. It also makes the project more reliable. These will show how reliable is the NGO. These usually are assessed by the donor in case of donation.

• I think that an M&E plan should be put in place in order to streamline the outcomes of the implementation plan of the project.

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because creating the plan is a way of teaching the girls how and also importance of savings of saving, creating the plan is also a way of securing there finances at either the long run or the short run depending on how many years the save for.
    and lastly teaching them how t save is a way of getting them involve in the project.

• @MichaelTomoriBPharmMScMPH said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@darcygray said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

i agree with Darcygray, in addition to what he posted that is apart from communicating the success of your project to donors, it is also a way of ensuring accountability to funders. it will also show case the collection, collation and reporting of program reports and how your program will ensure timeliness and completeness of report to the funders

very good point

G
    1 Reply
  • yes, you are right

• In order to proper monitor the two project properly monitoring and evaluation plan will the help Input process (resources involve in opening the account), process (action steps of input), output (immediate result ) outcome ( how the two programs can change the lives of the people) and impact on their lives.

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because it helps the team to see their goals clearly, focus and see the outcome and reason out. In this the organization can easily maintain uncertainties or undesirable outcome before they affect the organization status for current and future based.

@Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Respond to this prompt after completing the content in Module 1.

Respond to at least two of your peers’ messages. Which of the reasons for starting an M&E plan do you find the most convincing? Are there any other reasons for starting an M&E plan that your peer has missed?

ink

• I think you should create an M&E plan to help understand your goal and objective and for you to assess that your project is achieving set targets. It will also help to organize the roles and responsibilities of every staff on your project.

M&E plan will also help in monitoring the progress of the project, ensuring it is going according to plan in terms of resources, time, planning and outcomes, and furthermore ensure that data is adequately collected, measured and used to evaluate the success of the project. Your donors will decide on your accountability, upon which further collaborations could be established.

• @Marjorie said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@ahmed_elmi said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@Kwesi1992 said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

Ahmed you make me laugh - i am not sure where you got that MEH is a dodgy project that simply got into it for the money. Is it because it is a project that will allow girls to borrow small amounts of money. Could it be that MEH do not have the expertise that GOOD has and that they only need assistance in coming up with a n M&E plan and ways to measure their activities and decide what they will use as indicators of measurement. To me both indicators mentioned above could work. Initially the loans themselves to see how many of the girls would approach MEH and obtain the loans and then to see how many businesses are opened from receipt of these loans. Anyone with me on this point? Would like to see some discussion so that we can straight away dispel this presumption that MEH is a dodgy project. haha

Both indicators can be used for measurement, but i think without a good M&E plan, donors might think MEH's project will not be well accounted for.

• @Mosesayansola said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@MichaelTomoriBPharmMScMPH said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

@darcygray said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

i agree with Darcygray, in addition to what he posted that is apart from communicating the success of your project to donors, it is also a way of ensuring accountability to funders. it will also show case the collection, collation and reporting of program reports and how your program will ensure timeliness and completeness of report to the funders

very good point

Totally agree..

• I think MEH should prepare a M&E plan, because in this way they can check how the projects is going on and how and if the obejectibve, the results and the activities have been achieved. Defining good indicators will help to design an efficent M&E Plan.
    Another advantage in designing a M&E plan, is define if the loan we are managing are enough to achieve our goals. Just in this way we can convince and demonstrate how good we are in managing our project in order to have new opporunity to finance our projects

• I think you should create an M&E plan because the M&E plan will help you to focus on your goals and objectives. You will create clear indicators to measure your progress and decide on the method for data collection

S
    1 Reply
  • An M&E is important for a project success, any project without it risks to lose out on so much.
    Why would I advise MEH to have a plan?

• To consistently track progress, catch things that are not going as planned and put corrective measure as they come.
    • Every project works within a set timeline. This determines its efficiency and effectiveness. Working without an M&E plan means that you ca easily mess the budget and time without even realizing it-therefore resulting to project failure
      *There is so much that is learnt as a project progresses, some things come up that were not intended, having an M&E plan creates clear focus on continuous learning and decision making process
      *You cannot measure the impact that your project has if you do not come up with clear indicators/metrics of success
      *An M&E plan helps the project team to stay focused on the project goals.
      *Project funders need accountability that can only be achieved through a clear M&E plan
      *It is expensive to put a corrective measures when you realize late in the project that something went wrong without knowing.
  • An M&E is important for a project success, any project without it risks to lose out on so much.

• To consistently track progress, catch things that are not going as planned and put corrective measure as they come.
    • Every project works within a set timeline. This determines its efficiency and effectiveness. Working without an M&E plan means that you ca easily mess the budget and time without even realizing it-therefore resulting to project failure
      *There is so much that is learnt as a project progresses, some things come up that were not intended, having an M&E plan creates clear focus on continuous learning and decision making process
      *You cannot measure the impact that your project has if you do not come up with clear indicators/metrics of success
      *Project funders need accountability that can only be achieved through a clear M&E plan
      *It is expensive to put a corrective measures when you realize late in the project that something went wrong without knowing.
    K
    1 Reply
  • I think you should have M&E plan because it will enable you to have a right measure to gauge how project desired outlook will look like.
    It is only with right M&E plan that critical data for measure can be collected and analysed

• I think that you should create an M&E plan because it gives you the road-map to success for your project, it helps to track and assess the results of the interventions throughout the life of a program.

• I think you should create an M&E plan because the M&E plan will help you to focus on your goals and objectives, you will create clear indicators to measure the progress of your project, you will decide on methods to collect data, the time to collect data and the sources to collect the data.

• @oolacosmas said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I totally agree with you , a well define M&E plan describes the objectives of the entire project ,it outlines possible measures on how to achieve this objectives, it put in place strategies measures on how to properly follow up the progress towards achievement of the said objectives.
    It also list out keys tools which will be use to capture raw information(data) and analysis them for proper implementation of the project.

• I think it important to create an M & E plan because it will act as a road map (strategy) for the project so that they know as a project how they intend to achieve their goals as a project. They already have a vision but the vision must have a strategy and the resources required to achieve the project goals. They need to have a clear vision for them to realize the kind of outcome they intend to achieve so that they impact on the community/girls. They need to quickly and appropriately respond to the challenges and opportunities already identified. The results based management will be able to assist them in the collection of data at every stage of the implementation of their project by providing or using a set of principles, approaches and tools which will help the project. Their intervention should give them a good outcome and impact.

K
    1 Reply
  • MEL is important to project implementation because it provides the vision. Project management and implementation is a process that has a beginning and an end. You start from a known position and end at a predicted position. As much as the planning may be thorough, chances of unknown circumstance occurring will always be there. So, to compare the achievement that is being actually implemented against what was planned, is important in order to keep the ship on course.
    It is only through critical observations of what is going on that the targets will not be missed. Through M&E it is possible to inform everyone concerned that we are on course or we have veered off course. Once this status is known in time, it becomes possible to correct the situation.
    However, for M&E to do so, there must be a plan on how data that will help in controlling the project, will be collected, analyzed and inform the parties concerned. So, in a nutshell, M&E is very important to projects.

• The importance of M&E cannot overemphasized. The importance of M&E are as follows:

• It help to sets the goals of the project.

• It helps measure the progress of the project activities within the program.

• The impact of the project to the beneficiaries can easily be assessed through the use an M&E tool.

• It helps to get feedbacks from the beneficiaries of the project

• It helps also to give recommendations on how project activities can be improved.

K
    1 Reply
  • I think you should develop an M&E plan. The M&E plan is like a road-map to achieving the project goal. It will state the specific activities and actions to be carried out, how to measure and track progress, and the actions to take if things are not going right. With the M&E plan, you are confident of success.

• @Kalawa said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

The importance of M&E cannot overemphasized. The importance of M&E are as follows:

• It help to sets the goals of the project.

• It helps measure the progress of the project activities within the program.

• The impact of the project to the beneficiaries can easily be assessed through the use an M&E tool.

• It helps to get feedbacks from the beneficiaries of the project

• It helps also to give recommendations on how project activities can be improved.

Kalawa, While I agree with you on some of your points, I am not convinced if the M&E plan helps set the goals of the project. I think it is a plan on how the project goals could be achieved seamlessly when followed thoroughly.

• @charlesngandu said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think it important to create an M & E plan because it will act as a road map (strategy) for the project so that they know as a project how they intend to achieve their goals as a project. They already have a vision but the vision must have a strategy and the resources required to achieve the project goals. They need to have a clear vision for them to realize the kind of outcome they intend to achieve so that they impact on the community/girls. They need to quickly and appropriately respond to the challenges and opportunities already identified. The results based management will be able to assist them in the collection of data at every stage of the implementation of their project by providing or using a set of principles, approaches and tools which will help the project. Their intervention should give them a good outcome and impact.

Charles, I agree with your submission.

• @HusseinSalome said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

An M&E is important for a project success, any project without it risks to lose out on so much.

Hello Salome, Thanks for your submission. I totally agree

C
    1 Reply
  • @EbileDaudu said in Module 1 Discussion: The Importance of M&E:

I think that you should create an M&E plan because it helps you to have a clear picture of you results at different levels. Helps you to think through your results and how each would be measured. Most of all it helps you to also think through the connections of each level of result in other words the theory of change. The M&E plan is a guide to success if it is well done.

Ebile, "The M&E plan is a guide to success if it is well done". I agree.

Respond to this prompt after completing the content in Module 1.

Respond to at least two of your peers’ messages. Which of the reasons for starting an M&E plan do you find the most convincing? Are there any other reasons for starting an M&E plan that your peer has missed?

• It's think it's important for to create M&E because it spell to your team clearly your objectives, -it will help you to come up with ways to achieve your goals together as a team,
      -it also helps you to assess if your approach is working or not.
      -its gives you the opportunity to attract more clients since your work is evidence based.
    • it's easier to convince investors in the future.
      -it also guides team members on what each individual member is going to do exactly.
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.