Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• for me the hardest part was because i am not in a fundraising role finding a problem to write a grant ask for.

• I agree when needing out side help to talk up an organization instead of say how committed the staff is i found challenging

• @MAS1501073 said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

Very effective module. Good one.

@MAS1501073 said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

Very effective module. Good one.

true capability statements take more work. I had never used one before!

• Writing with Clarity and Conciseness: Presenting a compelling case within the often limited space and word count of a fundraising proposal can be difficult. Writing concisely while conveying all the essential information and maintaining clarity can require careful thought and editing.

One strategy that I will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future is to clearly demonstrate the alignment between the organization's mission and values and those of the potential funder.

• Writing with Clarity and Conciseness: Presenting a compelling case within the often limited space and word count of a fundraising proposal can be difficult. Writing concisely while conveying all the essential information and maintaining clarity can require careful thought and editing.

One strategy that I will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future is to clearly demonstrate the alignment between the organization's mission and values and those of the potential funder.

P
    P
    2 Replies
  • Crafting a Compelling Narrative. I will also use the storytelling strategy to evoke the motions and allow funders to connect on a deeper level with the organization's work.

• Grant proposal is a good mean to benefit of financing

• right, we have to take into account the reality of our target

• The most challenging part of writing a proposal is formulation of project objective and linking with outcomes and outputs and the most challenging part is calculating activities costs and tabulating to proposal Budgets.The most tricky part is costing staff percentage and administration cost and having a specific percentage for monitoring derived from the total proposal activity cost

• The most challenging part in developing a proposal is the goal, the objective and the abstract.
    One of our strategie is to include my donors engagement in the proposal.

K
    1 Reply
  • The most challenging part of writing a proposal was the allocation of budget in such a way that can impress the donors
    And next time I will carry out more research on how to design a budget

R
    2 Replies
  • I agree with you 💯 because if the goal and in the proposal doesn't match with the mission of the donors the likely of your proposal success is narrow

• Problem statement is a very important section of writing a proposal

• The most important and challenging part I got was stating how I intend to achieve my objectives I mean what activities my organization will undertake to implement the project

M
    1 Reply
  • Thanks for the breakdown,I think next time it will help me when trying to design my budget

• The fact that you have to pronounce yourself in every details about your organization and be persistent

• 1: One of the most challenging parts of writing a fundraising proposal is conveying the urgency and significance of the cause or project. It can be difficult to capture the attention and engage potential donors in a way that compels them to take action. Additionally, presenting a compelling case for funding, including outlining the goals, objectives, and expected outcomes while demonstrating credibility, can also pose a challenge. Fundraising proposals require careful research, planning, and consideration of the target audience, making the process complex and demanding.

2: One strategy that can be effective when writing fundraising proposals is storytelling. By sharing powerful narratives, personal experiences, or success stories related to the cause, a writer can emotionally connect with the readers or potential donors. Storytelling not only helps to humanize the cause but also creates an emotional resonance that can motivate and inspire generosity. Additionally, using concrete data, statistics, and evidence to support the proposed project or initiative can strengthen the proposal's credibility and legitimacy, increasing the chances of securing funding.

• How do you overcome these challenges?

• It is awesome and very useful

• How you write the proposal is vital for keeping funders on your way and give funds

M
    1 Reply
  • the most difficult thing for me was to be able to imagine all this and also to be able to give more details on how the project will be carried out

M
    R
    2 Replies
  • I agree with you idea

• The most challenging part writing grant proposal is the needs statement. Why? Because your needs statement must be short and sweet while also explaining the why and how of your project, and it has a potential to convince funder to come and fund the project , going forward i will be engaging different expert to proofread before submitting to funders

R
    1 Reply
  • totally agree with you

• very true because the objectives and the activities can determine whether the funders should commit their $ or not

• One of the things I found challenging was articulating the Justification and the objectives of the project.

• Ensuring that it's concise without any jargons. Additionally, avoiding the excessive use it adjectives. Most importantly, making sure that it's in line with the stated requirements.

• Most Challenging Part:
    Strictly adhere to the Guidelines that are given as Instruction to be followed.
    Strategy:
    I will strictly follow the instructions given by the Fundraiser and Keep in mind and follow all the learnings from the chapter on Grant Propsal Writing.

• Here is my take on Objectives, I've tried to simplify it. Objectives are Goals converted to : STM
    S: are Goals explained in a Specific manner
    T: are Goals which must be strictly
    Time bound
    M:are Goals which are strictly
    Measurable
    Therefore Objectives are Goals converted to STM in an understandable and pleasant manner.

• Agree its probably easier to spell out the Goal/Goals
    Objective simple strategy: It is Goal/Goals now converted to STM: Phrases which are Specific, Timebound and Measurable

1 Reply
  • I'm not in any organization

• I found it most challenging to write a specific, timebound objective, as well as to define what success looks like.

R
    1 Reply
  • What I will do in writing grant proposals in the future is to do clearly define the project, goals, and objectives with my team before starting to write.

• Yes, writing the needs statement made me realize that I need to do more "market research" to be sure the need I perceive is one that is actually there. So I agree it's challenging.

1 Reply
  • Yes, me too. Mine is an imaginary project, so I think if it was real it would be easier to define as I'd be working with others to do this in a real context.

• Good for you for trying to prepare a budget even though it was optional! I think your plan for next time sounds wise.

• Project proposal should be short and concise, must have clear objectives, activities and outcome with relevant proposed budget with timeframe.

A
    1 Reply
  • 1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    The most challenging part of writing the fundraising proposal was crafting a compelling narrative that effectively conveys the organization's mission, the significance of the project, and the impact it will have on the target beneficiaries. This challenge arises for several reasons:
    Limited Space: Fundraising proposals typically have strict word limits or page constraints, making it essential to convey a complex project succinctly.
    Balancing Details: Finding the right balance between providing sufficient details to make a convincing case and not overwhelming the reader with excessive information can be tricky.
    Emotional Appeal: Fundraising proposals often require the use of emotional appeals to engage donors, which can be challenging to execute authentically without appearing manipulative.
    Customization: Tailoring proposals to suit the preferences and priorities of different funders can be time-consuming, as each proposal may require unique elements.
    Competitive Landscape: In many cases, organizations are competing with numerous other nonprofits for limited funding, making it vital to stand out.
    2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?
    One strategy I will continue to use when writing fundraising proposals in the future is the "Impact Storytelling" approach. This involves not only presenting statistics and data but also weaving compelling stories about individuals or communities directly impacted by the organization's work.
    Impact stories humanize the proposal, making it relatable and emotionally resonant for potential donors. By sharing real-life narratives of people whose lives have been positively transformed by the organization's initiatives, it helps donors connect on a personal level. These stories illustrate the tangible difference their contributions can make.
    To effectively use this strategy, I will:
    Collect Authentic Stories: Continuously gather stories from the field, ensuring they are genuine and accurately represent the organization's impact.
    Highlight Diversity: Showcase a diverse range of stories to appeal to a broader audience and demonstrate the organization's inclusivity.
    Use Compelling Language: Craft narratives with vivid descriptions, engaging language, and a clear structure to maintain the reader's interest.
    Connect to the Proposal: Ensure that each impact story aligns with the proposal's overall message and objectives, emphasizing how the project or initiative will create similar positive outcomes.
    Impact storytelling not only makes the proposal more persuasive but also creates a lasting impression, increasing the likelihood of donor engagement and support.

• 1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is often crafting a compelling narrative that effectively conveys the organization's mission, the significance of the project, and the impact it will have on the target beneficiaries. This challenge arises for several reasons:
    Limited Space: Fundraising proposals typically have strict word limits or page constraints, making it essential to convey a complex project succinctly.
    Balancing Details: Finding the right balance between providing sufficient details to make a convincing case and not overwhelming the reader with excessive information can be tricky.
    Emotional Appeal: Fundraising proposals often require the use of emotional appeals to engage donors, which can be challenging to execute authentically without appearing manipulative.
    Customization: Tailoring proposals to suit the preferences and priorities of different funders can be time-consuming, as each proposal may require unique elements.
    Competitive Landscape: In many cases, organizations are competing with numerous other nonprofits for limited funding, making it vital to stand out.
    2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?
    One strategy I will continue to use when writing fundraising proposals in the future is the "Impact Storytelling" approach. This involves not only presenting statistics and data but also weaving compelling stories about individuals or communities directly impacted by the organization's work.
    Impact stories humanize the proposal, making it relatable and emotionally resonant for potential donors. By sharing real-life narratives of people whose lives have been positively transformed by the organization's initiatives, it helps donors connect on a personal level. These stories illustrate the tangible difference their contributions can make.
    Collect Authentic Stories: Continuously gather stories from the field, ensuring they are genuine and accurately represent the organization's impact.
    Highlight Diversity: Showcase a diverse range of stories to appeal to a broader audience and demonstrate the organization's inclusivity.
    Use Compelling Language: Craft narratives with vivid descriptions, engaging language, and a clear structure to maintain the reader's interest.
    Connect to the Proposal: Ensure that each impact story aligns with the proposal's overall message and objectives, emphasizing how the project or initiative will create similar positive outcomes.
    Impact storytelling not only makes the proposal more persuasive but also creates a lasting impression, increasing the likelihood of donor engagement and support.

• The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is often crafting a compelling narrative that effectively conveys the organization's mission, the significance of the project, and the impact it will have on the target beneficiaries. This challenge arises for several reasons:

F
    2 Replies
  • The challenging aspect was the abstract ; trying to put all that is required in a brief statement

• 1.The most challenging part was using the right words so that people decide to support and donate a project of my foundation.

2.I will write with catchy language and use a little consumer psychology.

• The writing and the power of words is undeniable.

• excelent! I agree!

• Composition was the major challenge. Not sure if I was sounding convincing enough

• Wow, I have learned a lot

A
    1 Reply
  • In my academic learning, I found that adding references from 1 or 2 published/credible research studies can add value to your proposal. For example, if your proposal is about supporting food banks, you can find a study that shows the impact of food banks in the community / productivity / economic development. This way, the donor may understand how much he/she can contribute to the society by making a donation.

• the challenging area is on budgeting...

• great success

• In general, the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal can vary depending on the specific context and goals of the proposal. Some common challenges include clearly articulating the project's objectives, demonstrating its potential impact, addressing potential concerns or objections, and effectively conveying the value proposition to potential donors.

A strategy that can be effective when writing fundraising proposals is to thoroughly research and understand the target audience or potential donors. This includes identifying their interests, values, and priorities, as well as tailoring the proposal to align with their specific goals and objectives. Additionally, highlighting the unique aspects and benefits of the project, providing compelling evidence of its potential success, and clearly outlining the steps for implementation can also enhance the effectiveness of the proposal.

Lastly generating of objectives, abstract that are in line with the organisation's view posed a challenge.

• The hardest part was about synthesis requirements. We do want to develop, point per point, how our project would be positive for that society. But we do have some limits.
    I will remember the ways of address a fundraising proposal, while having in mind the characteristics of the people I send that to.

• me neither, it is the hardest part I think ! but at least it develops creativity and imagination

• it is really hard to write a fundraising proposal, because we do have to be careful with the worlds we use, with every detail mention. also, we have to be pragmatical and to exemplify clearly our explanations.

I will always remember that I do have to follow the steps I defined beforehand

• yes and this is the hardest part since we created that project! we do want to explain more and more our project

• the limits of timing are so hard also

• for my proposal writings, I would also. like to make them read again by the people I wanna help, to make sure I am useful

• In general, the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal can vary depending on the specific context and goals of the proposal. Some common challenges include clearly articulating the project's objectives, demonstrating its potential impact, addressing potential concerns or objections, and effectively conveying the value proposition to potential donors.

A strategy that can be effective when writing fundraising proposals is to thoroughly research and understand the target audience or potential donors. This includes identifying their interests, values, and priorities, as well as tailoring the proposal to align with their specific goals and objectives. Additionally, highlighting the unique aspects and benefits of the project, providing compelling evidence of its potential success, and clearly outlining the steps for implementation can also enhance the effectiveness of the proposal.

Lastly generating of objectives, abstract that are in line with the organisation's view posed a challenge.

1. The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is often striking the right balance between conveying the depth and importance of the project's impact while keeping the proposal concise and engaging. It can be difficult to condense a complex project into a limited space, ensuring that every key point is addressed without overwhelming the reader. The challenge lies in effectively presenting the problem, solution, and the organization's capacity in a compelling and concise manner. Additionally, understanding the specific preferences and requirements of different funders can also be challenging, as proposals often need to be tailored to each potential donor's guidelines and priorities.

2. A strategy to use when writing fundraising proposals in the future is to focus on storytelling. By framing the proposal in the form of a compelling narrative, you can draw the reader into the project's context, emphasizing the human impact and real-life stories that demonstrate the need and the potential for positive change. Storytelling can make the proposal more relatable and emotionally engaging for the reader, helping them connect with the project's goals and impact on a personal level. This approach can help convey the essence of the project and its significance while maintaining the reader's interest and attention.

• The objective is some what challenging it requires more than once re-reading to get the exact answer.

• The Challenging part making it brief and precise
    The strategy that I will use when writing fundraising proposal in the future is following the steps required in designing the proposal.

M
    1 Reply
  • The objective is some wha challenging

• Thats it ...Its realy challenging to write a proposal as it doesnt meet the needs of donors it will be a problem

• Thats it ...Its realy challenging to write a proposal as it doesnt meet the needs of donors it will be a problem

1. The biggest challenge is to use the exact words that can make my proposal interesting

2. The best strategy is a good advertising image.

• I identify with the answer

• I agree with the answer

• 1- The most difficult part of writing a fundraising proposal is often the clarity of the explanation of the project's objectives, financial needs and expected impact. You need to strike a balance between full details and a concise presentation to arouse the interest of potential donors.

2- For future fundraising proposals, I would favour an approach that focuses on the project's compelling story, highlighting its potential impact and tangible benefits for donors. I would also emphasise transparency about the use of funds and adapt the language to the target audience to maximise engagement and emotional connection

1. I was unsure whether or not to divulge actual proposal info from my org/employer or just make up an example. The instructions were not that clear.
    2. The best practice I will take with me from this module and its assignment is to have an Abstract at the beginning, short and concise, before the program description.
    1. I was unsure whether or not to divulge actual proposal info from my org/employer or just make up an example. The instructions were not that clear.
    2. The best practice I will take with me from this module and its assignment is to have an Abstract at the beginning, short and concise, before the program description.
  • 1- The most challenging part is the setting of the objectives as some might be set or not according to the realization of the prior
    2-Tom's model works fine

• hello, i learned a ot about granting , i hope all this will help me with european context

• It's true making a specific budget takes time but it's the most important part of any proposal writing.

1. The most challenging part I identified in writing a smart proposal is to set specific goals and objectives.
    2. I researched the ongoing crisis related to my proposal objectives and also about my potential donor. I do it all as my strategy of writing a smart proposal.
    Y
    1 Reply
  • the most challenging part can be finding the right balance between emotion and professionalism in the proposal. focusing on storytelling with both emotional impact and concrete data could be helpful.

H
    1 Reply
  • I totally agree with you and face the same problem

• I agree with you

• I've learnt quite a few intriguing aspects of fundraising throughout this module. I wasn’t aware of this beforehand so a new window of opportunity & learning aspect has been opened for me.

• I did not find it to be difficult to write a funding proposal. I think it is enjoyable to write about the things we are aiming to achieve as an organization. I will leverage impact stories for support in the future.

• Briefly explain the objectives without jargon. Also, while the amount of the donation is not set in stone, explain the goals to be achieved, taking into consideration the reporting after the donation is received.

• Ongoing problems can change the next day when the situation. I agree that it is hard to explain specific goals.

• The most difficult part is to connect all the details. SOmetimes we have so many ideas that is difficult to give them the appropiate flow. And to have realistic objectives that can be reachable

A
    A
    2 Replies
  • That's fantastic

• In my point of view, the difficulty in writing a proposal is the uncertainty of how donors will understand it.
    In the future, I will consider all I have learned from PhilanthropyU courses on fundraising so that it will be clear and concise.

R
    A
    2 Replies
    The most challenging part is ensuring that all sections fit with one another to tell a cohesive and compelling story of why our work is worth funding. I wasn't previously clear on goals vs objectives, and had not previously had a lot of experience with writing a needs statement. This was a good exercise and gave me a chance to critically evaluate where our work needs more strategic thinking!
    I will follow the structure laid out in the module when writing proposals, while also complying with the specific asks of the funder.

• I agree with this! It can be difficult to know how much the granting committee/funder knows about the specific sector we work within, so keeping things very simple and clear-cut feels like the best way forward.

1. the most challenging aspect was the outlining of objectives because you have to enumerate how I have to enumerate how I can achieve my specific goal
    2. Next time, I read more on the objectives of such projects and come out with a more unique way to win
  • exactly my challenge as well

• Finding grants. I will use the effective and consince written proposals

The most difficult part of the proposal is being specific into how you would use the funds. It is easy to generally state how it would apply but to be specific and intentional when still planning makes it harder.
    Intentional research as to how the two strategies align and applying for those proposals. This will help ensure cohesion between the desired of the funders as well as my motivation to getting the money.

• 1.Choosing which information was important and which information was not important. A lot of things seemed important to me.

2.I will definitely research the history of the donors giving capabilities so I know the ballpark number I will put in my budget.

A
    1 Reply
  • The most challenging part of writing the proposal for me, was trying to clearly point out my objectives, statting the methods and techniques of approach, as to how I would fully attain and evaluate my goal.

• The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is often balancing the need to convey the urgency and significance of the project with the necessity of presenting a well-structured and compelling narrative. Striking the right tone, clearly articulating the problem or need, and demonstrating the organization's capacity to address it within the constraints of the proposal's length can be challenging. Finding the delicate balance between emotional appeal and factual information while adhering to the funder's guidelines requires careful consideration.

• it is good learning but challenging through

1. Well, l think the fundraising proposal was just straight to the point
    2. Next l will follow this fundraising guideline in writing our other fundraising proposals.
  • l like your number 2 point on donor research, that's excellent

• Racio, thank you for that reflection, you are on point there. As far as we have great ideas sometimes, we tend to miss great opportunities just because of that element of not knowing how...

• Oooh yes, you have nailed it, the issue of uncertainity is the challenge.

• This was a great learning phase for me and I have learned quite a lot about the correct way of writing a proposal. I do how ever still find it challenging for us in South Africa as far as acquiring overseas investors.

I will most definitely us what I have learned here from now onwards.

• The budgeting part was a bit difficult but i am working around it to ensure , i am good at it.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.