Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• pretesting every tool before it is used is a very important step in creating data collection tool, as in my experience i have found feedback from then end user to be very useful in making the tools more comprehensive and easy to use.

•  Le sous-système public est organisé de façon pyramidale et comporte trois niveaux : central, intermédiaire et périphérique.
    o Le niveau central joue un rôle normatif et stratégique. Il comprend le Cabinet du Ministre, le Secrétariat Général, 4directions nationales et des programmes (PEV/SSP, Tuberculose, VIH/SIDA/IST, Paludisme, Onchocercose etc.). En matière de prestation de services, ce niveau compte trois hôpitaux nationaux.
    o Le niveau intermédiaire, joue le rôle d’appui technique et logistique aux directions préfectorales de la santé. Il comporte 8 directions régionales, y compris la direction de Santé de la ville de Conakry (DSVCo).A ce niveau, les soins de santé sont offerts par 7 hôpitaux régionaux.
    o Le niveau périphérique est le niveau opérationnel. Il comporte 38 districts sanitaires. A ce niveau, les soins de santé sont dispensés par 34hôpitaux (HP, CMC et CSA), 406 centres de santé et 925 postes de santé

• This part is very useful and interresting.

• The pilot test of Data collection tool is critical because it reduces errors and provide an opportunity to fine-tune the tool with appropriate and necessary information that might have been left out while creating the tool.

• A question is not showing up.

• A question is not showing up.

• Creating data collection tools is a lengthy, but essential process.

• there is no topic, to this assignment. However, creating data collecting tools is paramount and has to be done by qualified personnel. The tool must be easy to use, holistic and concise. Upon data collection, monitoring tools also must be developed to be filled in and shared with the sponsor. This is to assess process indicators on inputs and outputs

• In addition to collecting essential data related to your indicators, you need to collect some metadata. Metadata is the information that explains how your data was collected. Data collection tools should have a space to record the following types of metadata:
    • The title of the tool
    • The version of the tool
    • Who used the tool
    • Where they used the tool
    • When they used the tool

• I thought this module provided some interesting detail on how to gather data for M&E. I enjoyed the emphasis on getting input from participants, because the work I have done has been similar in scope. However (and maybe this will come up later on, so apologies if it does), traditionally I have found that we get a low response rate on surveys; we have been at times lucky to get a 30% response rate. I wonder how this affects M&E. I guess the answer would be to try other types of data collection, but this is not always possible.

• Peer session Diary is a tool that collects data about a facilitaor,collects questions asked and not answered. Materials distributed during the project,Peer educators are widely accepted and can get information that a staff cannot get.

Partcipants tracking form- a tool that collects data of the people who participated in the project.
    It records who why and in what way he participated

• Which tools are more effective for data collection? online or traditional tools?

• Creating data collection tools is important in any project to enable proper M&E. Before creating the tools its important to identify clear and measure able indicators because that is what guide the choice of data collection tools.
    Things to consider when creating tools, type of data needed, project participants, cost, duration, who is collecting data etc.

• Defining data disaggregation is quite important for an indicator. I think it is important that when coming up with disaggregations, we think of what could be sources of variation in our indicator. If we are looking at number of girls, how do these girls differ. List as many possible variations as you can. Do not forget to limit the variables to only those that can cause changes in the outcome/output/input you are trying to measure. This will also be useful when designing data collection tool. We should only collect what we deem as important. Otherwise, time and resources are very limited

• It's highly important to choose the appropriate data collection tools in order to ensure the efficiency of your M&E plan.

• Creating a data collection tool requires careful planning and consideration to ensure that it is effective in collecting the required data. By following the above guidelines, researchers and evaluators can design data collection tools that are tailored to their specific research or evaluation questions and produce reliable data.

• Creating a data collection tool requires careful planning and consideration to ensure that it is effective in collecting the required data. By following the above guidelines, researchers and evaluators can design data collection tools that are tailored to their specific research or evaluation questions and produce reliable data.

Welcome to any discussion.

• a cheaper and easy to use tool is ideal but be careful to not collect unnecessary data

• quite a hectic process but worth it.

• quite a hectic process but worth it.

• The data collection tool should have necessary information and be able to focus on priority data and should put into consideration the following: what data to be collected, who will use the tool, does the data have the same source and frequency.
    Also the tool should have metadata details for tracking the information source easily.

• Name of participant age sex bussiness type

• Survey
    laboratory
    focus group
    interveiw
    documentation

• The tips are detailed. However the digital application should be included in the course.

• Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) is a vital aspect of project management that helps to assess the effectiveness, efficiency, and impact of a program. Data collection is an essential component of M&E, as it helps to generate the necessary information for decision-making and planning. Therefore, creating data collection tools is a critical part of M&E.

Here are some key considerations when creating data collection tools in M&E:

Identify the data needs: The first step in creating data collection tools is to identify the data needs of the project. This involves determining the types of data required, the frequency of data collection, and the data sources.

Select appropriate data collection methods: Once the data needs are identified, the next step is to select the appropriate data collection methods. This could include surveys, interviews, focus groups, observation, or document reviews.

Develop the data collection tools: Based on the selected data collection methods, develop the data collection tools. This could involve creating survey questionnaires, interview guides, observation checklists, or document review templates.

Pilot test the tools: Before using the data collection tools in the field, it is important to pilot test them to ensure that they are effective and reliable. This involves testing the tools with a small sample of the target population and making any necessary revisions.

Train data collectors: To ensure that the data is collected accurately and consistently, it is important to train the data collectors on the data collection tools and methods. This could involve providing training on how to administer surveys, conduct interviews, or collect observational data.

Monitor data collection: During data collection, it is important to monitor the process to ensure that the data is being collected accurately and consistently. This could involve conducting spot checks, providing feedback to data collectors, or making adjustments to the data collection tools.

In conclusion, creating data collection tools is an essential part of M&E. By following the above considerations, M&E practitioners can ensure that the data collected is accurate, reliable, and relevant for decision-making and planning.

• Data collection tools come in different forms as paper based forms, web-based platforms, and mobile apps, depending on the target audience and the nature of the data.

• Creating data collection tools also involves deciding what type of means you want to deploy i.e. the use of papers or devices

• Creating data collection tools also involves deciding what type of means you want to deploy i.e the use of papers or devices

• My team and I have been using participant tracking form for our projects, but we always stopped at the fourth step. So far we haven't done any testing to our form and revision to it. Knowing that we are able and should actually do that is actually helpful.

• This tool is useful because it's a versatile type of tool that collects data on the people who participate in a project.

• Data collection tools is an indispensable assets for organizations seeking to leverage data for informed decision-making and improved performance. By capturing diverse data, ensuring data quality, and streamlining the collection process, these tools empower organizations to unlock valuable insights and drive success in today's data-centric landscape. Embracing data collection tools not only enables organizations to remain competitive but also paves the way for innovation, growth, and long-term sustainability.

• most represented means of performing data analysis. Specializing in business analytics, these solutions will prove to be beneficial for every data analyst that needs to analyze, monitor, and report on important findings. Features such as self-service, predictive analytics, and advanced SQL modes make these solutions easily adjustable to every level of knowledge, without the need for heavy IT involvement. By providing a set of useful features, analysts can understand trends and make tactical decisions. Our data analytics tools article wouldn’t be complete without business intelligence, and dateline is one example that covers most of the requirements both for beginner and advanced users. This all-in-one tool aims to facilitate the entire analysis process from data integration and discovery to reporting.

• The choice of a data collection tool is such a vital component of a M&E.

• The choice of a data collection tool is such a vital component of a M&E

• Creating a tool requires clarity and must consider the outcomes that are being measured

• Creating a tool requires clarity and must consider the outcomes that are being measured

• Data collection is paramount to measure if the right data was collected, the maps are helpful to visualize data needs

• It is important to identify the right data collection method and the right tool

• This is an opportunity to strengthen data collection skills to add credibility to any project

• data collection and processes cannot be ignored

• I am very interested in creating a data tool that retrieves information from a focus group. In my project it will be a focus group of hotline intake workers.

• It should be minimalistic and only contain relevant details/queries that pertains to what information we are collecting.

• How to treat information source in logframe when they came from different source but you organize them by group

• Thanks for the knowledge

• To avoid baise we shall follow these steps. In fact, I have been practicing some 70 percent of these information but now I feel I am mastering them.

• Each and every data collection tool has its own advantages and disadvantages. Some may provide accurate results but on merit of being costly and expensive while some maybe cheap but require trained and learned individuals to carry out the collections.

• Data collections tools is key to the success of measuring our indicator adequately, if this tool does not correctly reflect the information we need gather in our project, we will be going out expected change oriented conclusions.

• This is one of the most important part of any project, it determine whether you project goals will be achieve

• Something that has always been appalling to me is how we are able to bring "learning" into the development of tools. for the most part, best practices and lessons learned are always mainstreamed into various project activities and cannot be distinctively monitored in terms of numbers and such. Nowhere in the project implementation where we say, let us dedicate this period to look at what we are learning or best practice.

• Créer des outils de collecte de données

ODK

• Metadata are important information as they provide evidence that can be traced as evidence in any time needed.

• Data collection tool are very important in monitoring and evaluation task. Now we can create the online tool for data collection. It is very cheaper methodology

• Metadata are important information as they provide evidence that can be traced as evidence in any time needed.

• Data collection tool are very important in monitoring and evaluation task. Now we can create the online tool for data collection. It is very cheaper methodology. Data collection and Data analysis can help decision makers to take a decision. Management of data is very necessary to facilitate the data analysis task

• Collecting data is essential in monitoring and evaluation. Proper understanding of indicators helps determine the best tool.

• I think creating data collection is one of the major aspects of M&E. You may do an excellent job implementing the program but if the data collection tools you have created are not strong then you may not be able to capture the true reflection of the success of the program.

• The momentum is good

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Therefore coming up with the best method is necessary to make informed business decisions, ensure quality assurance, and keep research integrity.

• There are several data collection tools available that can help you gather information efficiently and effectively. Here are some commonly used data collection tools:

Online Surveys: Platforms like Google Forms, SurveyMonkey, and Typeform allow you to create and distribute online surveys to collect data from a large number of respondents. These tools provide a variety of question types and customization options.

Interviews: Conducting interviews, whether in-person, over the phone, or via video conferencing, is a powerful way to collect qualitative data. Tools like Zoom, Skype, or Google Meet can be used for remote interviews.

Observations: Observational studies involve directly observing and recording data about individuals or events. Tools for recording observations can range from simple pen and paper to specialized software or mobile apps.

Social Media Listening Tools: These tools enable you to monitor and collect data from social media platforms. They can help you track mentions of specific keywords, hashtags, or brand names, providing insights into public opinion and sentiment.

Web Scraping: Web scraping involves extracting data from websites. Tools like BeautifulSoup (Python library) or Octoparse (dedicated web scraping software) can be used to automate the process of collecting data from websites.

Sensor-based Data Collection: Internet of Things (IoT) devices equipped with sensors can collect real-time data from various sources, such as temperature, humidity, motion, or location. This data can be used for research, analysis, or decision-making.

Mobile Data Collection Apps: Mobile apps, like Magpi, ODK Collect, or SurveyCTO, allow you to create custom data collection forms and collect data using mobile devices, even in offline environments.

Data Logging Devices: Data loggers are small electronic devices that can record and store data from sensors or instruments over time. They are commonly used in scientific research and environmental monitoring.

Customer Feedback Tools: Tools like Zendesk, UserVoice, or Qualtrics enable you to collect and analyze customer feedback, ratings, and reviews, helping you understand customer satisfaction and make improvements.

• Hello, I'm learning a lot with you.

• Hello, I'm learning a lot with you.

• Hello I need assistance in knowing how discussions are carried out please

• What is the significance of testing your participants tracking form before using?
    Testing helps us to identify errors and other missing information. It also helps to identify how efficient our form can be.

• What is the significance of testing your participants tracking form before using?
    Testing the form earlier gives room for identification and correction of errors and also gives an opportunity to add necessary information that might have been omitted earlier.

• With the advancement of technology, what is the place of digital technology in data collection today?

• can I have advice on computer tools for data collection ?

• Data collection tools refer to the devices/instruments used to collect data, such as a paper questionnaire or computer-assisted interviewing system. Therefore coming up with the best method is necessary to make informed business decisions, ensure quality assurance, and keep research integrity.

• Create Your Data Collection Tool
    After you’ve chosen the data collection method that best meets the goals of your registry, it’s time to create the fields that will enable you to gather the information you want from each participant.

Keep these things in mind as you develop the form:

Include a title.
    Explain the purpose of the form.
    Provide an estimate of time needed to complete the form.
    Provide clear instructions.
    Ask only for information that’s needed.
    Select the appropriate question type (e.g., multiple-choice, drop down menu, checkbox).
    Use clear language.
    Consider the order of your questions. More important questions are typically found at the beginning of the form.

• Test your data collection tools

• Infact, in my opinion we have so many tools for data collection, especially mobile app

M
    1 Reply
  • Creating a data collection tool for Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) is crucial for several reasons. M&E is an essential component of any project or program, as it helps assess progress, measure impact, and inform decision-making

• Creating data collection tools in M&E comes with its challenges. It requires careful consideration of program objectives, target indicators, and data types, all while ensuring the tools are standardized, reliable, and user-friendly. Challenges may arise in selecting appropriate data collection methods, designing unbiased tools, and promoting consistent data collection across evaluators and time periods. However, by addressing these challenges, organizations can gather reliable data that enables effective monitoring, evaluation, and informed decision-making for program improvement and accountability.

• When creating data collection tool, the following should be recorded:

• The version of the collection tool, the date when it was created, date the data was collected, where the data was collected, who collected the data and the date it was collected.
      The data collection tool should be able to address the indicator one is addressing according to the disaggregation of the indicator e.g., age, location designation group etc. The form should be able to capture data specific to what the indicator is meant to achieve.

The form should have legends of abbreviations if any and any explanation to the columns including a column for notes and additional information when a loan has not been approved or approved.

• Creating data collection tools is a crucial aspect of any research or data-gathering process. These tools play a significant role in ensuring the collection of accurate and relevant information. When designing data collection tools, researchers need to consider the specific objectives of their study and the type of data they intend to collect. It is essential to use clear and unambiguous language to avoid confusion and ensure that respondents understand the questions properly.

The format and layout of the data collection tools should be user-friendly, making it easy for respondents to navigate and provide their input effectively. Regular pilot testing and feedback from a small sample can help identify potential issues and fine-tune the tools before full-scale implementation, leading to a more successful and efficient data collection process.

• When you want to create data collection tools you need to consider a title,explain the purpose of the form, provide an estimate of time needed to complete the form, provide clear instructions, ask only for information that's needed, select the appropriate question type (e.g., multiple-choice, drop down menu, checkbox) finally Use clear language.

R
    1 Reply
  • Creating data collection tools is very important because it is the base that you will earn the indicator in the right moment for that he will be useful for the project to have the situation of the project for the analysis the data and make the right decision in relation of the implementation of the project and for to improve the result of the project.

• Creating data collection tools is very important because it is the base that you will earn the indicator in the right moment for that he will be useful for the project to have the situation of the project for the analysis the data and make the right decision in relation of the implementation of the project and for to improve the result of the project.

• Creating data collection tools is very important because it is the base that you will earn the indicator in the right moment for that he will be useful for the project to have the situation of the project for the analysis of the data and make the right decision in relation to the implementation of the project and for to improve the result of the project.

• CREATING DATA COLLECTION TOOLS :

• Review the Logframe: Familiarize yourself with the logframe's components, including the project's goal (impact), outcomes (purpose), outputs, and indicators. Understand what data you need to collect to assess progress and impact.
    • Identify Data Requirements: Determine the type of data required for each indicator. This could include quantitative data (e.g., numbers, percentages) or qualitative data (e.g., narratives, descriptions). Consider the sources of data, whether it will come from beneficiaries, project records, surveys, interviews, or other means.
    • Select Data Collection Methods: Choose appropriate data collection methods based on the indicators and data requirements. Common methods include surveys, interviews, focus groups, observations, document reviews, and secondary data analysis.
    • Develop Data Collection Instruments: Create the actual data collection instruments based on the chosen methods. For surveys, develop questionnaires with clear and concise questions. For interviews and focus groups, prepare interview guides with open-ended questions. Ensure that the instruments align with the indicators and can capture the needed data effectively.
    • Pre-Test the Instruments: Before full implementation, conduct a pilot or pre-test of the data collection instruments with a small sample to identify any issues, ambiguities, or improvements needed. This helps ensure the tools are reliable and valid.
    • Train Data Collectors: If data collection involves multiple individuals, such as survey enumerators or interviewers, provide training on how to use the data collection instruments and follow consistent procedures. This helps ensure data quality and consistency.
    • Implement Data Collection: Carry out the data collection process according to the planned methods and instruments. Monitor the process to address any challenges or discrepancies.
    • Manage Data: Organize and manage the collected data in a systematic manner. Use data management tools or software, if available, to store and analyze the data efficiently.
    • Analyze Data: Once data collection is complete, analyze the data using appropriate statistical or qualitative analysis methods. Compare the results against the indicators specified in the logframe.
    • Use Data for Decision-Making: Utilize the analyzed data to make informed decisions, track progress, and evaluate the project's impact. Report findings to stakeholders as needed.
    By following these steps, you can create effective data collection tools within the logframe framework to measure project outcomes and impact accurately and facilitate data-driven decision-making.

• Hi, this part of course is very important and interesting. It's is one of the pillars for a successful project

• As I also learn that we need to create carefully our data collection tools.

• This seems to be the most technical, simple and fun part of the monitoring and evaluation process. I cant wait to put this skills and knowledge into real practice.

• Data collection is one of the management process

• I am not sure why I can never see the questions for this discussion board.

• Participant tracking tools need to be very organized with very clear instructions. This is especially important if there are different people filling out the form. The organization and clear instructions are important to maintain consistency and accuracy of information when it comes time to analyze the data. I think metadata is also important to understand processes to delivering/running the program because they can help identify any barriers or challenges that impede those activities that are being implemented.

• This has been a nicely developed course. However, i really wish, you developed another one, on the complex development of digital questionnaires, using Survey solutions, ODK etc

• Creating data collecting tool is very important in M and E planning. when creating this tool you need to understand the indicators of your project on the log frame that is indicators for impact outcome, output and input.. and wher creating the collecting tool also need to know what kind of data you will need to collect, who are the people to provide data, how often will data be collected , by who and if we can manage to do it that is do we have enough resources for this. a group of indicator can use the same data collection tool as long as if they share same data collection method, source of data and collection schedule

• What Is Data Collection: Methods, Types, Tools, and Techniques
    By Simplilearn
    Last updated on Aug 1, 2023656997
    What is Data Collection? Definition, Types, Tools, and Techniques
    Table of Contents
    Definition: What is Data CollectionWhy Do We Need Data Collection?What Are the Different Methods of Data Collection?Data Collection ToolsThe Importance of Ensuring Accurate and Appropriate Data Collection

• What is Data Collection

• Primary and secondary methods of data collection are two approaches used to gather information for research or analysis purposes. Let's explore each method in detail

• I appreciate the indikit link for it makes relevant benchmarks for tool making accessible. The reminder to test the tool is also important. Making an M&E plan should be a team activity because it would be more sustainable if it has shared accountability.

• Creating data collection tools seems simple but can become complicated when the M&E team dont assess the indicators properly and choose right. The fact that data is crucial to M&E makes these tools very important as well.

1 Reply
  • Data collection tools are essential instruments that enable project teams to gather relevant and accurate information to measure progress, assess outcomes, and make informed decisions. Here are some key points to consider when creating data collection tools:

1. Clarity of Purpose:
      Define the specific objectives of data collection. What information do you need to collect, and for what purpose?
  • Data collection tools are essential instruments that enable project teams to gather relevant and accurate information to measure progress, assess outcomes, and make informed decisions. Here are some key points to consider when creating data collection tools:

1. Clarity of Purpose:
      Define the specific objectives of data collection. What information do you need to collect, and for what purpose?

1. Clarity of Purpose:
  • understanding the project and the kind of data required to measure indicators will enable the creation of appropriate data collection tools. however, a number of factors need to be considered such as, time, money etc. From my experience, project implementers have not taken data seriously. Yet it is the most effective driver of decisions. And the right tool helps to gather the right data.

• understanding the project and the kind of data required to measure indicators will enable the creation of appropriate data collection tools. however, a number of factors need to be considered such as, time, money etc. From my experience, project implementers have not taken data seriously. Yet it is the most effective driver of decisions. And the right tool helps to gather the right data.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.