Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Staff

Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing

In Module 3, your assignment was to write a fundraising proposal.

In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

B
    E
    N
    6 Replies
  • @Course_Operations said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?

1. Writing the Abstract because it should carry the whole proposal. It should be concise, clear, and brief. I'm not really a concise writer. But I definitely need to improve on that.
    2. It is important for funders to see that you can make your project not just a one-time thing, even if a stand-alone event is what they will only be funding. So I always make it to a point to tell funders that outputs from workshops will be uploaded online and will have corresponding lesson plans that a wider set of teachers can use.
    B
    K
    4 Replies

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

1: The programme description; it was challenging because it entails the activities that will be conducted throughout the project life cycle so as to achieve the objectives as well as the goal of the project.
    2: Community Engagement Strategy

1 Reply
  • @sstorres said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@Course_Operations said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1. Writing the Abstract because it should carry the whole proposal. It should be concise, clear, and brief. I'm not really a concise writer. But I definitely need to improve on that.
    2. It is important for funders to see that you can make your project not just a one-time thing, even if a stand-alone event is what they will only be funding. So I always make it to a point to tell funders that outputs from workshops will be uploaded online and will have corresponding lesson plans that a wider set of teachers can use.

1: the abstract is not difficult as presume because the abstract is written based on what the project is, will do, your capacity and what it stand to achieve.
    2: Based on your strategy I agree to your term

S
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

The most challenging part is the "Goal & Objectives"
    a) We have to try to keep it short, concise and to the point. We can at times go overboard.
    b) Trying to keep it short, there is the fear of missing out on important factors.

My strategy will be to follow the funder's page/website etc very closely, if available contact the person-in-charge and gather further details and not use jargon and adjectives as such.

B
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@blessingani said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1: The programme description; it was challenging because it entails the activities that will be conducted throughout the project life cycle so as to achieve the objectives as well as the goal of the project.

True for me too! Programme description can take us over board sometimes.
    a) We have to try to keep it short, concise and to the point. We can at times go overboard.
    b) Trying to keep it short, there is the fear of missing out on important factors.

1 Reply

I agree with you

E
    1 Reply
  • @Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

My strategy will be to follow the funder's page/website etc very closely, if available contact the person-in-charge and gather further details and not use jargon and adjectives as such.

Yes, that is another good strategy

• @blessingani said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@sstorres said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1: the abstract is not difficult as presume because the abstract is written based on what the project is, will do, your capacity and what it stand to achieve.
    2: Based on your strategy I agree to your term

So true. It's hard to be concise when you want to say so many things to "impress" funders. But on hindsight, "less is more."

• I still need to learn more how to write the abstract part of the proposal because it giving me a bit confusion with the background of the project.

@ FAIZI I had two challenges;
    1- Writing Goal and Objectives were challenges for me as we have to keep sequence in term of its completion % who would do it etc. it is like execution plan.
    2- Furthermore, writing clear and crispy abstract is always an art. It is the point where we use our best communication skills and hook.
    I would use to the point, precise and crispy Fundraising proposal strategy. I will keep it maximum from 2-3 pages. Any other thing which is required by the Donner would be kept as attachment.

@Shooren I agree with you as it was also one of my challenges.

S
    2 Replies
  • For me, the most challenging part of writing the proposal was balancing the providing enough information versus too much detail. Going forward, I will likely take more time to directly link the stated interests of the group to my goals and objectives, not just the abstract.

C
    E
    2 Replies
  • @Faizi said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@Shooren I agree with you as it was also one of my challenges.

I agree with you as well! The balance of detail is critical and challenging. I also think following the funder's interests closely is important for developing the right goals and objectives.

• the abstract is the most difficult part of the grant writing, one has to inlcude just the right info and all

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

For me the most challenging part is probably the actual just getting started. I have all my facts and info together, but how do you know what you are writing is making sense and is to the point.

Going forward I plan to write, read and rewrite to shorten and get to the point. Take our all the fluff and offer the substance.

J
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@SandraMDJ said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

For me, the most challenging part of writing the proposal was balancing the providing enough information versus too much detail. Going forward, I will likely take more time to directly link the stated interests of the group to my goals and objectives, not just the abstract.

Exactly this! What would they see as important...

O
    2 Replies
  • Hello everyone, pls i want to know the first step to take when i have identify a potential donor. Should i seek for their permission first before i send them my proposal, or i send it to them without their permission?. thanks

1 Reply
  • The most challenging part is being specific and concise at the same time.
    My fundraising approach will be to rather worry about content than length of the of the proposal

O
    2 Replies

The most challenging part is Bound and Measure because u need to show the donors how your project will be evaluate.
    I will make sure its short and target at a particular project.

• @SandraMDJ said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

For me, the most challenging part of writing the proposal was balancing the providing enough information versus too much detail. Going forward, I will likely take more time to directly link the stated interests of the group to my goals and objectives, not just the abstract.
    very good,i learnt something from you

1 Reply
  • The most difficult part for me was the evaluation part as well as the budget, this is because I feel that my concept note is constantly changing.

• Before doing this course I realized how much I was doing wrong with regards to asking people to get involved and assist me with making this project a success. Therefore I will be using everything that I have learnt in this module. I will also ensure that I make my grand letter writing as specific and concise as possible

• @CindyKoen said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

this is a challenge I faced as well

1 Reply
  • @Kalia said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@sstorres said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

I agree with you

improvement makes you to be a better learner
    i strongly subscribe to your ideas

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @sstorres . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @CindyKoen . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @Bonolo . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @enezemerit . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

E
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

hey @AMB_0810 ,thanks for posting your question, what do you think about that @CindyKoen @sstorres @stefadadex @Shooren @Faizi @Karengane ?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @Faizi . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @stefadadex . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

• @Cmnyarangi said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @Faizi . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

@Cmnyarangi yes,of course strategies in this Module are very helpful.

M
    1 Reply
  • This was a great deal of information to take in.

• @Faizi said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@Cmnyarangi said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

@Cmnyarangi yes,of course strategies in this Module are very helpful.

I agree but there was a lot of information.

• In proposal,writing Abstract is the challenging part because it should be brief and it should carry the whole proposal to make more understanding.

• The most challenging part was explaining how I will fix the problem or address the need because this will be my first time to do this project--I have no previous experience to show donors. In the future I will try to target donors that really care about the same issues in my proposal.

For me the most challenging part is probably the actual just getting started. I have all my facts and info together, but how do you know what you are writing is making sense and is to the point.

Going forward I plan to write, read and rewrite to shorten and get to the point. Take our all the fluff and offer the substance.

Yes, packaging the material can be a challenge.

• @Cmnyarangi said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you face when writing proposals @enezemerit . Are there other resources you use to support the challenges you face? Do you think the strategies in this module are helpful?

The strategies i learned in this module are very helpful

• Keeping it short and precise is the problem as I would be beating myself up wondering is its enough for the donors.

• Course Facilitator

Hello guys!
    Have you read the June's learners email. I think it's very interesting.
    Check your mails!

Has everyone submit theirs assignments?
    Do you have a trouble?
    Please, let us know!

I agree with you the proposal abstract was the most challenging how you should be able to explain all about the project in that short paragraph is a good art for me to grow in.

• 1.The most challenging for me was writing the proposal abstract where I explain everything in one paragraph and also coming up with objectives from the goal was a bit challenging.
    2.My strategy will depend on my environment but I will continue using Grant Proposal writing,organizing fundraising events and of recent there is a growth trend in the Corporate Sector with many of them doing CSR activities so its an area that I will venture in.

The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is the budget. This is because one needs to find out the amount available to be given and is essential to really what exactly to write as such avoiding being too exaggerating.

Search out this information by making inquiries in other write a reasonable and appropriate budget.

• one challenge in proposal writing to me is the Budget and Objective aspectand i plan to do practice exercises for this two cotinually for some months even after the course..

• i am enjoying this courseThis is the heart beat of social enterpreneuship other wise no venture succeeds no need for charity

• Developing SMART goals/objectives was quite a mind task!
    Besides, writing the executive summary and ensuring it clearly portrays the entire proposal content was also quite consuming.
    My strategy is to always customize the proposal to ensure alignment with the prospective funder's work/priorities.

1. I think one of the challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is the goal and objectives. It should be clear concise (SMART - Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time bounded) so Funders can easily gauge how we are going to address the problem we stated.
    2. One of the strategy is to stick with the Funders guidelines and make sure to have a copy of it, so it can remind you about the scope you are going to work with.
  • I had a hard time. I drafted the proposal but while using the worksheet, I didn’t fill in everything I had written rather I was answering the questions.
    I hope to write a better proposal in the future.

M
    1 Reply
  • A]The most difficult part for me was setting out the objectives and goals in the proposal. I had difficulties understanding which to put first because it constantly felt like I was misplacing the order in which it is supposed to follow.

B] What i will definitely use in future is the whole sequence I have followed in preparing the proposal in the assignment. I will use everything I have learnt.

M
    1 Reply
  • 1.The most challenging part of writing a proposal was the budget ,because it must be really adequate follow your goal and period time for the project without mistake .
    2.The strategy i will use to make my proposal strong and standard is my goal ,i must be brief during my goal also plan the budget as my goal will be.

A
    1 Reply
  • Challenging part was to link activities to objectives and goals.
    A strategy i will use in future is to start with the objectives and goals working towards outputs and activities, that way the linkage of activities to objectives and goals will be clearer and easier.

1. Keeping it short and making it as easy to read as possible
      2.Follow these rules: keep it short,concise,use traditional maths for budget,capability statement, abstract,programme description,capability statement,include only what you are asked to include.

The most challenging parts of proposal writings are:
    1- Define the problem/Need statement
    2- Impact statement

I will follow the strict guidelines of donor in future proposal writings

• I agree with you, but ass per experts, the most challenges part of proposal writing is to define problem and social impact

• I agree, we need more material about proposal writings

• no for me program descreption is some how difficult than abstract becouse it is where most important tips of project are shown

@blessingani said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

True for me too! Programme description can take us over board sometimes.

I found it difficult because it requires you to get the facts clear for each aspect of the proposal before writing. Making a draft can ease the chance for one to write a proposal as you will have known the project: Title, descriptions, objectives/goals, output/outcomes, monitoring and evaluation, budgets and budget administration and management.
    If all information are available you can shortened it to a concise level.

1. Keeping it clear, short and concise. Sometimes I tend to write more than I should.
    2. Follow the funder's guidelines really closely, and studying carefully the grants they have given to other organizations on previous years.
    1 Reply
  • @kokorehjeanyao said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1.The most challenging part of writing a proposal was the budget ,because it must be really adequate follow your goal and period time for the project without mistake .
    2.The strategy i will use to make my proposal strong and standard is my goal ,i must be brief during my goal also plan the budget as my goal will be.

I find the budget challenging too. We have to be very creative, but also very careful when planning it.

• what about some one who can write a crowdfunding compain page with mission statement and vision is it necessary to have goals and objectives or those things have same meaning ?

• Course Facilitator

(1) For me, the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is to adapt my goals and objective, to be aligned with the financer or foundation priorities. The other part I find challenging is to maintain the coherence in all the project and express clearly the evaluation process, considering both formative and quantity aspects.

(2) The strategies I will apply when writing a fundraising proposal in the future:

• Looking for a team, with specific knowledge about the areas of the project (methodology of implementation, evaluation, and finance).
    • Take my time for research and understanding the focus of the founders.
    • Work in advance in writing differents definition of the problem I am addressing with my project.
  • Course Facilitator

@Apaula_hdz said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1. Keeping it clear, short and concise. Sometimes I tend to write more than I should.
    2. Follow the funder's guidelines really closely, and studying carefully the grants they have given to other organizations on previous years.

I have a similar experience, sometimes I write to much. I think it is a good idea to take time to review the proposal, days after the writing exercises, to eliminate the excess of explanation and keep only the essential.

• I personally agreed with BONOLO concerning the fact that you have to be specific and concise at the same time ,because paraphrase will make the writing proposal boring less attractive, thanks

• 1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    There was a power black out in my area just a few minutes to the deadline for proposal submission hence I could not submit my proposal within the deadline.
    -On proposal writing aligning the objectives with the goals were abit challenging
    -Have clear objectives and goals aligned beforehand

• @Bonolo said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

The most challenging part is being specific and concise at the same time.
    My fundraising approach will be to rather worry about content than length of the of the proposal

This is great Bonolo as your response is realistic and well articulated. Keep it up!

This great CindyKoen

.Th
    The challenging part is time, 2.Help successful organization

1. outside validation: one has to search for avenues where previous projects have been applauded to include in the proposal
    2. make sure the funder can see that the project can be achievable and sustainable.
  • @Zintle said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

A]The most difficult part for me was setting out the objectives and goals in the proposal. I had difficulties understanding which to put first because it constantly felt like I was misplacing the order in which it is supposed to follow.

B] What i will definitely use in future is the whole sequence I have followed in preparing the proposal in the assignment. I will use everything I have learnt.

the lessons have been great and will definitely be useful in writing a proposal in the future

• @Princessa said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

I had a hard time. I drafted the proposal but while using the worksheet, I didn’t fill in everything I had written rather I was answering the questions.
    I hope to write a better proposal in the future.

so the problem is using the worksheet provided. the worksheet is just a good template for writing a good proposal. it will be handy when writing future proposals

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.