Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• @DrOse said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

with the kind of insight received from this module i am sure fund raising will become a lot more easier. Getting to the point of asking and eventually asking will also be easier to approach

• @Course_Operations said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

In Module 2, you learned how to make the ask and thank the donor while reducing anxiety and discomfort with the process of fundraising.

In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    2: What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?

And if you are not currently working at an organization or have never fundraised before... just imagine that you are about to begin your first day in fundraising at an organization!

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

For me the most anxious aspect of fundraising is initial interaction with potential donor over direct meet at an event or phone call. There is always this nervousness about making initial contact, what if I fail, talk something stupid or go numb. One way to address this issue is to approach first contact with potential donor as get to know talk. As right question and show sincere interest in potential donor. Likeability builds trust which leads to eventually an advise, donation or recommend other donor.

• Asking for initial meet or first interaction with potential donor over call or meet at an event makes me feel anxious. To overcome this, I've decided to take this meet as get to know potential donor. Knowing the other person makes it easier than trying to know potential donor. Showing genuine interest in potential donor helps reduce anxiety and develop relationship.

• @Shooren said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most anxious part is after having mustered all the courage/ energy and making myself presentable to Be REJECTED!

But I have come to terms with it! Its ONLY a NO, nothing much but on the other hand it is a learning experience for me. It means I was not 100% up to it and that means the donor said come prepared again. I will definitely try again! Be more compelling and presentable!

A No means Not now. Also, when I know that I have big pool of potential donors to pitch for fundraising, the fear of rejection somehow vanishes.

• I thin waiting for the response is very challenging, because you are not sure what the donor might reply.
    I think i need to work within your specification but making it a bit liberal for the donor to understand.

• @Seann009 said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

1.The most challenging aspect of fundraising is the ASK itself because it just does not feel ok for me to ask people for things.

1. Haven learnt to take it in stages and to also make the donor more important in the conversation, i will ease slowly into the ask.

I think you do not need to fear as long as the right moment for asking comes, you need to blow it out specifying the amount, you try to draw the donor attention to some of your programs, if he/she picks interests, then this might be the right moment to place your right suggestion for them to donate.

• The most anxious aspect of fundraising is to make the ask. I fear to be turn down the NO part.
    I believe we will work on the thank you notes or phone call to our donors to keep our relationship

• Asking for specific amount. I always felt it was wrong to impose on the amount one has to give. This course has validated the idea; I will always be asking for a specific number.

• Question 1.
    The most challenging aspect of my fund raising is asking for a specific amount of money.
    This is because I tend to widen the scope of support, making the donor be spoilt for choice.

Question 2
    This way, I run the risk of accumulating support in kind other than monetary. I hope to learn on gaining the courage of asking for money whether directly or indirectly, ultimately, by use of all diplomatic language, the donor will understand I need financial support.
    Gradually, I should be able to ask for specific amounts of money, including organizing funds drive that will have my audience appreciate why they are at a drive. At the drive, I should be able to demonstrate what we have done, the impact it has had in the community, scaling up as well as sustainability plans. Consequently, a budget has to be drafted, it is through this approach while sharing the figures, that my anxiety in asking for money shall reduce.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.