Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Good evening,

I agree. It was the most difficult part for me also to complete.

• Good evening,

I agree with your statement.

I am learning to write more clear and short sentences. It is best to get to point without adding unnecessary language to the proposal.

• I agreed with you. Is important to be precise and specific.

• I agreed with you and is important for the donors.

• The most challenging part for me in writing a proposal was in constructing a shorter and concise Problem statement .I think in the future I should gather as many as possible information and summarize them to a more specific and concisely

P
    1 Reply
  • Oooh, very sorry my Friend, however the object should be "smart" :S=specific, measurable, attainable, rated and time bound

• The most challenging part is the abstract part, because I have to be brief but still describe my project in details that any reader can understand exactly what I intend to do.

I will use the same design of abstract in my future proposal, I have learnt from the course that "the shorter the proposal is the better"

P
    1 Reply
  • 1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?

1. The most challenging part is compacting the proposal into three pages when you think you have a lot to write.

2. The strategy I hope to use in future is understanding what the donor wants and planning and start writing early.

• I know the abstract seems to be so short. However you should know that the one who is going to read your proposal wants exactly that. So you need to continue learning how to summarize your work, you should be good.

• I know when you have a lot and all that is needed is just so little. Please don't forget that your aim in this proposal is to get you that funding.

• Please revise the proposal reading and listen again and again to Tom's podcast in the module 3 of this course you will pick it up.

• The budget was so complex for me.

• formulating objectives is too challenging. one needs to think deeply

• formulating objectives is too challenging. one needs to think deeply

@SabrinMahmoud said in CrwodFunding:

I want to know more about crowdfunding

• when writing a proporsal in future, I will make sure that my problem statement and objectives are well stated

• problem statement ought to be concise because readers needs to understand the problem you are trying to solve and they do not have enough time to be reading your voluminous proposal that is too difficult to be understood

• problem statement ought to be concise because readers needs to understand the problem you are trying to solve and they do not have enough time to be reading your voluminous proposal that is too difficult to be understood

• when your problem statement and objectives are well stated, summarizing to come out with a perfect abstract will not be much difficult

• My name is Suleiman Bukar, founder and Executive Director of North East Youth Peace Ambassadors Network, nice to be here, I am a Nigerian

• Propose a objective is challenging

G
    2 Replies
  • I agree. By doing this, you are able to meet the donor desire and is easier to get funded from targeted donors.

• 1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    Putting into words what happens in the projects to try to create a sufficiently clear image of what is done, so that someone outside the organization supports, is not always easy. It must be clear, precise, concise, and impactful. It is a challenge.

2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?
    Try to use all the tools this course has given us. Be more aware of specific points needed to include.

Putting into words what happens in the projects to try to create a sufficiently clear image of what is done, so that someone outside the organization supports, is not always easy. It must be clear, precise, concise, and impactful. It is a challenge.

Try to use all the tools this course has given us. Be more aware of specific points needed to include.

W
    1 Reply
  • Fundraising Strategies for Mobilizing Donors
    Incentivize Your Top Fundraisers.
    Launch Donor Recognition Programs.
    Facilitate Grassroots Fundraising.
    Exert Influence on Public Opinion.
    Get to Know Your Donor

• Understanding and differentiating between what capacity statement meant in relation to obejectives and goals been a new intiative was a little challenging.
    State explicitly with confidence my capacity statement will be a strategy i will employ.

• thank you for this informative contribution will also be more detailed putting into more consideration all points taught in the course

• keep it up you get there

• What event planning proposal is complete without and eye-catching cover? Your clients won't be able to ignore this impressive introduction to your pitch.

• What event planning proposal is complete without and eye-catching cover? Your clients won't be able to ignore this impressive introduction to your pitch.

• Whatever sets you apart, this section of our sample event proposal is where you describe your unique differentiator, what you understand of your clients needs, and how you're uniquely positioned to address them.

• A donor will want to know if you have other donors, grants or funding resources. Not only does this alleviate some of the risk the one donor will take on, it shows that others are interested and have committed to the project, so include this information.

• A donor will want to know if you have other donors, grants or funding resources. Not only does this alleviate some of the risk the one donor will take on, it shows that others are interested and have committed to the project, so include this information.

• The most challenging part is explaining the abstract or introduction. After the introduction is written, I found it very challenging adding an explanation of short paragraph.
    In the future I will research thoroughly to identify the problem to be solved, so as to align with the focus of the funding agency.

S
    1 Reply
  • If you really know how many people you are targeting, where they are and the effect the program will have on them. The objective shouldn't be challenging.

1. The most challenging part of this was finding a foundation that gave unrestricted funds, start up finds, or capital funds, since my organization is at the beginning stages of development. Since I could not find those resources I wrote my grant proposal as if we were farther along in our organization's development and based the grant we applied for on needs I know we will have in our future. I would still really like to know for to get the capital and start up funding we need.
    2. I will definitely be using the format we learned for this class in the future. In breaks down whats needed for a grant proposal in a way that makes a lot of sense and was very helpful. Thank you.
  • @godsonhiamey I agree it was a challenge to figure out how much detail should be added to expand on the abstract, and how much is too much. I wrote mine yesterday and then went back and edited it today for clarity and brevity. I think it's going to be one of those things that gets better with practice.

• This module greatly helps me have an overall picture of what I should lay out in the proposal, it also a hint for preparation work to our committee as well.

• The challenging part of writing fundraising proposal is writing capability statement ,that comes when the organization is new or do not have experience in the field you are asking the fund for.

1 Reply
  • writing a grant proposal is not necessarily difficult as i feel it is time consuming. I think its really about verbiage, approach, and how your message is presented in the proposal itself. I think if you are passionate about what you do then your proposal is going to be just as important to you as receiving those funds.

• Keeping it short-- especially when a funder allows for a longer narrative (but encourages you to, still, keep it on the short side).

• Adding a "success/evaluation" portion to the end of the proposal. I add that when a funder specifically requests it, but I can see how it makes the entire proposal stronger, so I will add it for every proposal moving forward.
  • The most challenging part of a writing a fundraising proposal was making sure that from the abstract right down to the goals and objectives, everything links and flows. I found myself adding so many other things to the main problem I wanted funding from. The problem you want to addressed is often affected by so many other

things.

One strategy I will be using when it comes to writing fundraising proposals in the future is the document style/format I learned through this course. It's easy too understand and follow through with.

• Evaluation section is the only part that's likely to give me headache. Otherwise I am very much ok with the rest of the sections. It's a growth area for me and i have prioritized this as the next course i will pursue right after I am done with this fundraising course. The strategy i will use is this; The proposal will not exceed one page unless otherwise stated by the donor. I might also try to rework my staffing costs by fixing a cost into the program section under the title technical assistance program. Those two areas are the major reasons most of my proposals are never funded.

• @Katekula i agree with you. However, as Tom Wolf puts it, you need to invest some funds for piloting in a small way. This should be more or less a demonstration version of the program. Then evaluate this and go back to the donor with statitistics to prove that the area/ activity deserves to be funded

• @Houyee To begin with, let us understand what a Goal and an Objective means
    Goal: It is a broad statement that defines what you plan to do in a project. It gives an idea to the reader of what problem your organization intends to address.
    Objective: These are detailed statements describing the ways through which you intend to achieve the goal.
    Framing objectives
    Objectives should address the 5 Ws: While framing the objectives ensure that they provide answers to the 5Ws:
     Why: are you proposing a particular thing?
     What: approach will you adopt to reach the desired goal?
     When: will you conduct a particular project?
     Where: will you implement the project?
    Who: will be the primary stakeholders/beneficiaries or who will be doing a particular thing in a project?
    Objectives should support the goal: it is very important that each of your objectives contributes and supports in achieving the goal.
    Frame SMART objectives:
    Use action verbs while drafting objectives: whenever you frame objectives use active verbs like create, identify, promote, enhance, increase, and develop etc.
    Keep 3-4 objectives: Most experts recommend keeping three to four objectives in a proposal
    Examples
    Goal; Improve the livelihood of tribal population of 5 villages in XYZ District using local resource-based approach.
    Objectives
     To enhance the income of the trained population by 30% through the establishment of sustainable market linkages for the sale of the NTFP collected, by the end of the second year.
     To build capacities of 500 tribal families through 10 training sessions on the collection, grading and primary processing of identified products in the first year.
     To promote local community-based institutions by the formation of 5 Primary Collectors Group to empower the tribal communities, in XYZ District by the end of the first quarter.

• The challenge to write project proposal is all about highlighting to problem statement to be solved and find out how to address it in full in line with the funder's goal, objectives and mission.
    For future project proposal the issue is to follow the critical steps inherent to set up a good project proposal that any funder would like to support.

• Constructing the abstract was a bit tricky because I needed to build the components of the proposal in order to get the summary. One strategy I will apply in writing next proposal is to write elaborately convincing description of the proposal

• Fantastic Programme

• Awesome, I have learnt a lot.

• Your goal and objectives must stand out clearly, the rest will just be logistics.

P
    1 Reply
  • I have learned so many new things throughout this training. Thanks very much for your team.

• It is really challenging to have a balanced budget and determining a reasonable amount to ask from a donor.

• One of the things I find hard is keeping proposals only to the essential info, no jargon and less descriptive (I have a backgound in English studies) One thing I will focus on in the future is keeping to the core information and using Tom's framework to bullet point only what is essential!

• @ThaoTran said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

In Module 3, your assignment was to write a fundraising proposal.

In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

@ThaoTran said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

writing the abstract was challenging

• Writing a theoretical proposal to a theoretical donor was the most challenging part.

In the future I will definitely implement the tips given.
    A great learning experience.

• The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal is the introduction and abstract. This is because it is quite difficult to be concise and brief about your ideas. Also it is hard to start with this section becase you need to summarize everything you hope to write in the later parts of the proposal.
    When writing fundraising proposals in the future I will use the following question after I have written the introduction and abstract: “If this was the only thing I read, would it tell me the basics of what I need to know?” If the answer is yes, you have made a good start.

• Yes I completely agree, it is so hard to put all the information on a simple page, even more when you have the pressure to prioritize the most important information, which seems like its almost everything to us, those writing the proposal!

• Writing a proposal is time consuming.
    I have learnt to really take time when putting together a proposal and make it as brief and specific as possible

• this session identifies the core issues and highlights the essences of proposal writing

• Keeping everything short. One naturally wants to elaborate on everything.

K
    1 Reply
  • for me in the past I had such a big problem in differentiating goals and objectives but this course has just removed so many equivocations in my head especially when it comes to showing what problem we are account to resolve

• The most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal was related to the goal and objectives
    One strategy I will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future is to keep in mind the coherence between the activities listed and the goal and objectives of the project.

• May be because you did not have clear project you were working on?

• These days the funders no longer interested in bigger proposals but precise information.

• Trying to fit the project to the restrictions of the grant instructions.

• I found that using concise rather than persuasive writing was the most difficult aspect. I find that I want to try and persuade the reader, but have to let the facts speak for themselves when preparing the proposal.

O
    1 Reply
  • the objectives part is somewhat challenging

• the objectives part is somewhat challenging

P
    A
    2 Replies
  • The most challenging part was to summarize and be specific about the abstract and the problem to be solved. One strategy I will us e in the future is to be specific about the grant I am asking for, what problem it will solve and how this is in line with the donor's interests. Also be specific and concise about the goal and the objectives.

• Yes, I had the same thought. I had to create some on the spot. But it was very constructive.

• Yes, I had the same thought. I had to create some on the spot. But it was very constructive.

• Location and cost because the most importantز
    Social service for autistic children win people's affection

• Not having an actual organization to voucher for.

• ‎1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?‎
    Most NGOs seem to hate deadlines. However, deadlines are essential for successful fundraising! It is ‎quite common for NGOs to view fundraising and proposal writing as something to do ‘when there is ‎time.’ Of course, NGOs are usually busy with projects and meetings so there is rarely free time ‎available. Having deadlines forces NGOs to plan ahead and stop putting things off for later.‎
    What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?‎
    ‎-‎ Planning
    ‎-‎ Deadlines
    ‎-‎ Ideas to words
    ‎-‎ Fear of rejection
    ‎-‎ Hire experts in this field
    ‎-‎ The donor must see his donated money built on the ground, not just words on paper
    ‎-‎ Make the donor happy and proud to see the result of his donation in reality
    ‎-‎ The project should be of material, moral, social and most importantly emotional value

1 Reply
  • Hi, hope someone can peer review my submissions so I can complete the course.

• the proposal is easy to write ,
    the one thing to focus on is the main objective and the deliverables

• The proposal writing was easy, as long as you focus on the objective and deliverables.

• je comprends et j'applique

• Ce cours à une importance capital dans le developpement pour la collecte des fonds au près des donneurs

• was nice having getting more details on how to build a good proposal like this

• The main challenges of writing a proposal, the objectives and goals of the project and how it aligns with the donor strategy and the needs of the target groups.

• How to make the objectives and goals of the project and key activities clear and concise.

• Conduct a rapid assessment or data collection from target beneficiaries to find out more about their issues.

• We should share the draft application/proposal with donors to get their inputs if they are allowed to do so.

• It has been a very productive moment to learn how to write a Grant Proposal for fund raising.When writing a grant proposal its important to start with identifying a problem.This can be done through a simple desk review,then set the goals and objectives and follow the next steps.To me when I was doing this assignment the challenging parts were the capability statement section as my organization is young;and the Evaluation Plan section.However,through diligent learning I wish I will be able to master these sections shortly.

• It has been a very productive moment to learn how to write a Grant Proposal for fund raising.When writing a grant proposal its important to start with identifying a problem.This can be done through a simple desk review,then set the goals and objectives and follow the next steps.To me when I was doing this assignment the challenging parts were the capability statement section as my organization is young;and the Evaluation Plan section.However,through diligent learning I wish I will be able to master these sections shortly.

• That's true because it is more detailed

• Could I see what your budget looks like, please? The most challenging part for me was finding the statistic to support the problem I was stating. Sometimes, it can seem obvious to you that there is a problem. but if you can find credible data to support your claims, you may loose points

• Finding data to support your claims in the problem statement can be challenging. My technique to cover that is to search in research papers or academic surveys

G
    V
    2 Replies
  • The most challenging part was not actually being in a position that I will be writing grant proposals, so understanding the value of a good grant proposal was something I found very challenging. Tom made some really great points in being clear and concise and found myself very interested in my peers work compared to mine.

G
    2 Replies
  • The challenging part is the objectives and of list activities part, as it requires keen thinking.
    The strategies that would is firstly being committed to reading other people's proposals you pick some ideas, the secondly when drafting your own, you need to draft them then go through them over and over making sure you have applied the SMART acronym very well.

• I gree with you. Tom really opened my mind too.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.