Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• In our projects, the project manager reports to the Program Director. The PM can adjust schedules and resources but needs the Program Director's approval for budget, deadline, or scope changes. Strategic decisions involve the Project Steering Committee, which includes key stakeholders.

How often does the Project Steering Committee meet to review progress?
    Are there specific criteria for unscheduled meetings?

• My experience working with different organizations has taught that project governance will always be constituted with the Board as the authority whether in small startups or large established organizations.

Large organizations often with a lot of funds would have different levels of authority. The Executive Director authorized funds for project activities up to a certain level beyond which the Board would approve. The Board approved major decisions of the projects' deliverables, budget and time allocation at the highest level. The project manager on the other hand prepared and signed the request, and was responsible for the end-to-end project management involving planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting activities, progress and impact.

Also, the project manager updated the Executive Director on daily basis, and if there were major issues of adjustments to the project, the Executive Director escalated with the Board. Often, the Executive Director would ask the project manager to request for the changes with the donor. In small organizations such as startups with limited funding mostly the Executive Director will authorize decisions.

• Who then represents stakeholders or is your organization a private entity, in which case CEO's decisions will be checked unless it is sole proprietorship

• More or less like mine thanks sharing

• In my present organization, there is a Board of Directors which consists of a board chairman, lawyer and secretary. I report directly to the board chairman. But I am solely responsible for all other duties/responsibilities. So, it is quite challenging to have a project charter because at the end of the day, all the responsibilities fall to me. There is no WBS or work packages. I do it all.

D
    1 Reply
  • The major decisions that have direct impact on the beneficiary should be the ones to be handled by the donors and top decision organ because that would form the best area to do an evaluation and measure impact to scale.

Otherwise when it's left to escalate... The problems become worse.

• I don't have one, but i will use Pragya instead.
    In Pragya's project governance structure:

1. Project Manager
      The Project Manager oversees the implementation of the agricultural development project in India.
      The Project Manager reports to the Director of Programs or another designated senior manager within Pragya.

2. Steering Committee or Project Sponsor
      Pragya may have a Steering Committee comprising senior leaders and stakeholders from various departments.
      The Project Manager updates the Steering Committee regularly on project progress, risks, and issues.
      Major decisions, such as changes in project scope or budget allocations, may require approval from the Steering Committee or Project Sponsor.

3. Project Team
      The Project Team includes individuals responsible for specific aspects of the project, such as site selection, staff training, and community engagement.
      The Project Manager leads and coordinates the efforts of the project team members.

4. Decision-Making Authority
      The Project Manager has the authority to make day-to-day decisions regarding project execution, resource management, and task prioritization.
      Significant decisions that could impact project outcomes or require additional resources may be discussed with the Steering Committee or Project Sponsor for guidance and approval.

5. Change Control Board (CCB)
      Pragya may establish a Change Control Board comprising key stakeholders to evaluate proposed changes to the project scope, timeline, or budget.
      The Project Manager presents change requests to the CCB for assessment, and the board determines whether to approve or reject the proposed changes based on their impact on project objectives and resources.

• In a small organization with a flat hierarchy and no clear job descriptions or limits, it can be challenging to define roles and responsibilities, and to manage the project effectively. Here are some suggestions for working around these situations:

1. Establish clear communication: In the absence of formal job descriptions, clear communication becomes even more important. Make sure that everyone involved in the project understands their roles and responsibilities, and what is expected of them. Regularly schedule meetings and check-ins to discuss progress, address any issues, and ensure that everyone is on the same page.
    2. Define project goals and objectives: Clearly define the goals and objectives of the project, and make sure that everyone involved understands them. This will help to ensure that everyone is working towards the same goals, and will help to prevent misunderstandings and miscommunications.
    3. Set expectations for updates and reporting: Establish a regular schedule for updates and reporting, and make sure that everyone involved in the project knows what is expected of them. This will help to ensure that everyone is aware of the project's progress, and will help to identify any issues or challenges that need to be addressed.
    4. Establish clear decision-making processes: In the absence of a formal project governance body, it's important to establish clear decision-making processes. Make sure that everyone involved in the project knows who is responsible for making decisions, and how decisions will be made. This will help to prevent delays and confusion, and will help to ensure that decisions are made in a timely and effective manner.
    5. Seek external guidance and support: If you're struggling to manage the project effectively, consider seeking external guidance and support. You might consider hiring a consultant or bringing in a temporary project manager to help you establish clear roles and responsibilities, and to manage the project more effectively.

Ultimately, the key to working around these situations is to establish clear communication, set expectations, and establish clear processes for decision-making and reporting. By doing so, you can help to ensure that everyone involved in the project is working towards the same goals, and that the project is managed effectively.

D
    1 Reply
  • the project manager will likely report to a senior project manager or direct of project management.

the project manager have to decide how to use the resources wisely, such as money, people, and tools for different tasks or team.

he or she also have to make decisions about project schedules, task order,and critical path analysis,

D
    1 Reply
  • This is a person or a group of people in a project who make serious decisions like changes in a budget, schedule and scope.
    It is important to decide early at the beginning of the project who forms the project governance.
    A large organization with many stake holders may create a project governance board while a smaller organization may assign a single person to govern a project.
    Once structured, its important that this be documented officially in the project charter and discussed in details.
    Project managers should be in agreement with the project governance on who is accountable and responsible for what and how changes to the project charter will be made.

• I am new to the project governance yet i visited few NGOs and their governance structure. In One of the organizations, the HR, Chief IT and clinical officers are under the CEO. the CEO reports to the board. Donors and other stakeholders are part of the board and decide on the specific projects. a small project i participated, the project manager was under the CEO.

• Than you for the interesting point you raised. I want to ask about the difference between project manager and senior project manager please? Thank you

• Thank you, it looks a little congested. Then i hope, its a small organization. what i understand about the WBS is that it has to be clear so as we can know who is doing what and taking all the responsibility attached to it.

• I was excited to practice writing about the Pragya. When i was reading the course, i thought it was simple and straight, but practically its not easy. it needs understanding the details of activities.

• I want to ask if someone can respond please. during the process of design and set up, if we are able to explicitly write details of activities at an individual level, then what is expected from us during the planning period?

• Thank you for the detailed explanation. I want to emphasize on the concept of small organization, what is actually small? I believe establishing a system is the most important aspect irrespective of the size of the organization. now the question will be how? for which i support your explanation.
    thank you

• On our projects, the project manger reports to the General managers and the Managing Director of the company.

• WELL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE HERE.

• The governance structure of the project is paramount for effective decision-making and ensure alignment with organisational objectives. The project manager plays a pivotal role in day-to-day operations and tactical decisions, reporting to the Steering Committee for strategic guidance and major approvals. This structured approach enables the team to leverage expertise, manage risks efficiently, and deliver successful outcomes for the project.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.