Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I initially thought telling fundraisers as much as possible would be the most effective way of getting them board. It was insightful to discover that telling a story related to the NGO you are working in and also considering the individual and giving attention/allowing them the opportunity to talk about themselves to that potential fundraiser is in fact more beneficial than spewing statitics.

• Each gives the other -it is a partnership offer so be clear about what you are giving, Think sale and purchase or funding and opportunity

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because it depends on type of donors, there are many donors especially they are interested about results especially from Corporate Social Responsibility. One question I have about myth 6 is how we can generate interest of someone who has skill but completely from different domain and doesn't have interest or time for fund raising .

• Fundraising isn't about just making money it's about meeting different needs of fundraising helping other people in
    field to grow. This help me to be a better person. And visit beautiful mountains

• Myth 2 & 6 helped me understand the potential I have to become a successful fundraiser.

• i was surprised with myth 2;i thought knowing rich people is all that matters but am glad how the lecturer broke it down.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 7 was not true because the internet has provided many new ways to connect with individuals across the globe.

• The myths that surprised me the most were; Number 2. Raising money is all about knowing rich people and Number 4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    I always thought that fundraising was an activitie only for famous, well known or known between the richest people, and when Tom Wolf said that at the beginning we can't expect a lot, it is like everythig else in this life because even people who know rich people start somewhere and it doesn't always is from the top, so as he also said "it is about finding supportes as many as we can who can spread the word" that supporters could be our family, our friends, our accquaintences and people we know along the way because maybe the people we know won't do a donation but their accquaintences, family and/or friends will.
    And I was enchanted to hear the explanation of myth number 4, i love being charismatic I think that it is something that is very natural in myself and personality and I really love to genuinely care about people, I really love what they have to say, their stories and life history, their experiences, and I do love too accompanying individuals, make them feel love, feel somebody because nowadays people are feeling so alone but it is the feeling that unites us the most.

• i was most suprised about myth 4,i always thought donors want to now more about your organisation

• I was most surprised by myth number four. I thought that you should tell the donor all about your organisation.

• Hi,
    I'm very happy with all the information that I got in this first module. But I was stunned to discover that it is not necessary to let the donors know more about my organization and projects.

• I believed same too. Getting to make a graphical representation of your past records done statistically could be the only eye catchy act to drive the donor's interest in helping you. Now i have learnt and well understood story telling motivates and moves them much.

• This myth also changed the way I think fundraising is being done. Thanks yo Tom

• i learn much in the first lesson about things we ususally think are myths in doing fundraising. thanks for the valuable info

• I was also suprised about it, but later I reasoned with the great idea.

• I was most surprised by Myth 4. I always thought the donor would want as much info as possible but it makes sense that listening to donors is more important than lecturing them.

• Yes I also thought the same thing but it really shouldn't be overlooked as I think it would be an asset in fundraising.

• Many of the myths taught were things I was aware of before but I will admit the ONE myth that caught me off guard a little was myth 2. I appreciate how it was clarified

• I was so surprised that you can be a successful fundraiser without having to know rich people. I always knew that the rich are better placed to be donors because they have more resources compared to other individuals. I have come to realize that anyone can be a donor. if you do not have the money, you can donate your time to benefit other people through activities such as volunteering.

• All of these myths taught were things I was aware of before but I appreciate that how it was clarified all with the examples.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I used to think that the more you told the donor about your project, the more likely you were to get the donation. But now I know that it is very important to take into account the donor's tastes, interests, experiences and thoughts in order to create a synergy with the project and not just make an exhibition of it.

• This has been my perspective too...you must give to receive,in fundraising each sides must give...impressive.

• I was a great interest to come to know that I also was living the myths especially myth number four which believes that you should tell the donor all about your organization. It was so enlightening and I feel so much happy that I have learnt something really new something I never was going to consider even one day.
    My question now would be for how long do I keep communicating with the donor telling them about them. Is there a sign that I can tell itโ€™s time to present my story to them?

M
    1 Reply
  • this was a interesting module which share more specific light to the basics of fundraising that i had been applying in my day to day fundraising journey, however i was more intrigued by myth 4 where he said you must also let the donor tell you about their organisation rather than doing much talking about yourself, i believe that to e true though i always thought since am trying to raise more funds i should talk more so that they know better

• I was most surprised when I learned that you don't have to try and tell a donor as much about your organisation as possible.

• I appreciated Myth Number 3

• I believe that each person has a story to tell, both the person who is asking for support and the person who is going to give it, understanding that there may be points of connection in the stories, makes me think that it is easier to build a relationship of friendship with my donor than just giving them numbers and statistics.

• I was most surprised to know that myth 2, "raising money is all about knowing rich people" is not true. I never thought that I could start with people I know.

• Hello i am called Eni and i was so surprised by what i learned because i saw fundraising in a different way. I am glad i enrolled as i have gained knowledge

• The myth that surprised me the most was number 5. Many times we think that statistics, results and facts can have more impact than stories, but it is in successful life stories that statistics and facts come into view and take center stage. value and importance we need.

• If you start a relationship with someone who has helped your organization, the idea is to maintain and cultivate that relationship for the rest of your life, it will help you become a recurring donor and it can lead you to more people who support your cause.

• I have learnt that story telling plays a big role in fundraising. This is something we tend to neglect during implementation of various project.

• For me Myth four, at the end of the day Its all about connectioncultiv, ating relatioinships, people wants to be recognized and listened.

• For me Myth four, at the end of the day Its all about connectioncultiv, ating relatioinships, people wants to be recognized and listened.

• I was most surprised when I learned that you don't have to try and tell a donor as much about your organisation as possible.

S
    1 Reply
  • This module made me more self aware about the knowledge of fundraising, and most importantly how to gain a personal relationship with donor. No one wants to feel like they are being used. Its important to know your core values and mission of your organization, however, active listening to the donor will also help with fundraising and gaining a potential prospect.

S
    1 Reply
  • True, I think if you really care about the cause you're fundrasing for, people will sense that, It's very important to remember that nothing beats being genuine.

• Number 4 came as a huge surprise! But I gained a new and helpful insight into it.

• Yeah, myth 3 surprised me most.
    Seeing it as a win - win for everyone when it still seems like one party receives only.

I must admit I learnt

• I also thought numbers should have an upper hand since it's factual
    But now I know emotion also play a huge role through story telling in getting funds from donors

• Telling a donors about yourself is a tendency that will naturally want to come to play
    But thank God for this course that have enlighten me of the proper approach

• Telling a donors about yourself is a tendency that will naturally want to come to play
    But thank God for this course that have enlighten me of the proper approach

• I'm so glad I took this course, It will really help me in a more systematic way to connect with donors
    The 4th myth has helped me to know that it's more about the donor
    What a great lesson!

• Yes, ones mind will want to go after rich people, especially in a poor country
    But with this course, one now has a better insight into fundraising

• These are really myths. I used to carry them and keep myself less confident on fundraising

• Nothing really surprised me, but these were good reminders of what to focus on. E.g. having the org talk about themselves to find the connections. I was also thinking about #5 re: stats/facts in that I believe that stories matter most to donors, but also that you need to have the stats/facts as well to support your stories and to use for things like grants and reporting (can't be stories alone).

• I had not previously considered how important it was to identify donor's personal goals and interests in order to connect them more with the organization.

• This one was really helpful to me too. I do tours for donors and sometimes forget to slow down and hear why they are wanting to be connected better.

• I thought it was much more important 4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible than listening to him. It is true. We are partners. So it is important to know because he feels the need to be part of.

• Very true, this is a big lesson I have learned and I can relate it to one of the demands by one of our donors at my work place who emphasizes more of Success stories than statistics. This now resonate well with the myths i have learned

• i was surprised by myth 01 about fundraising is all about cash .thank you for the clarification.

• two myths that I found interesting are number 2 and 4.

for number 2
    I sometimes forget about the idea that everyone can do good. Thus, facilitating them who wanna participate but is limited by one thing or another needs to be our job. By that, everyone could join and our organization will get the benefit also.

number 4
    this myth probably will be challenging to do. it needs practice to understand what the donors desire in talking to them, let them be the spotlight, and let them know that they can shine within our campaign.

N
    1 Reply
  • I was most surprised to learn that myth 7 was not true because people engage so differently online. I was also a little surprised by myth 4 because I thought people wanted to know as much as possible about the organization. One question I have about myth 4 is how do we make the informaiton more succinct and meaningful to the donor?

• Myth #4 surprised me

• I was shocked that myth 1 was not true because everyone always said the goal was to get money

• Totally enjoying this course.

• **I loved learning about the 7 myths of fundraising and filling out the fundraising map . It was VERY helpful ...........I also agree #3 is overlooked! **

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because, I think I've always been more concerned with getting the static and the facts about the stories. I donโ€™t have any question. Thanks for all.

• I agree, I feel personally impacted by numbers due to my background- but I heard it described that numbers are mind-boggling, aka hard to understand or grasp the extent of - which makes it harder for donors to connect to.

• Agreed, I've learned a lot about the importance of having major donors, but it was nice to hear a source say that the little guys count too!

• Agreed, I've learned a lot about the importance of having major donors, but it was nice to hear a source say that the little guys count too!

• To a very large extent, the myth apropos telling everything about one's organisation stood out for me. More often than not, the points covered under that myth are overlooked. It requires excellent listening skills.

PS:
    The TED Talk by Nancy Duarte is amazing! ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿฟ

The Secret Structure of Great Talks

• I really did not believe about myth number 4 because I thought every donor is so care with their money or assets and they want the highest assurance possible to convince them that indeed their donations are for the rightfully intended purpose to achieve satisfaction.

• Very well said! I haven't thought that we as fundraisers have to work with various limitations that may stop people from participating in our campaigns. Also agree with a point of practice in terms of communicating with donors in a way to understand their need and address them with our stories. It brings me further to myth 6 โ€” that in order to do so we need to work hard and we need to be "we" as a team.

• I was surprised that even though I understand the idea covered by myth 6, I still think about the fundraising process as a solo performance. Although I have had experience with both collective and individual fundraising and I know from that experience that teamwork always leads to better results, I still make the same mistake of thinking that I can do the best all by myself. I guess it is partially connected with the fact that sometimes it is quite hard to assemble a good team. But eventually it will worth it!

• Yes Humayun, I also believed so until i took this course

• QUITE INSIGHTFUL, MOST ESPECIALLY MYTH NO.2

• I really thought that Fundraising was just about knowing rich people and how they can give back

H
    1 Reply
  • Myth no 6 in our country a lot of organisations when organising Fundraising event tend to use superstars they don't know every player in a Fundraising team matters. So I came to realise Fundraising is a team effort and not an individual effort because you can not handle all the responsibilities on your own.

• we were in the same basket while family and friends can be supporters too and play an important role on the process

• Iam really amazed by all of the myths.
    thank you,Doctor

• The muth number 7 was revealing, i thought statistics was more important to donors. I will focus more on success stories, going forward.

• In fundraising, one person gives and another receives... this was an eye opener

N
    1 Reply
  • This make think that the stories really matters and it's important remember that fundraising is a transaction so we have to think about how we share something to donors and not just think about receiving money. For this reason that it is important to always keep in mind how the donor feels personally connected to the cause.

• I am surprised about Myths 2 and 4. I also believe that it is important that we also learn how to engage with donors or funders in a way where they will not be uncomfortable. Our proposals speaks for our programs but to create a connection to donors is a game-changer.

• If I had listened to this in the morning, it would have surprised me a lot! But I watched a webinar by Arthur C Brooks at Harvard that really got me thinking about how much happiness and satisfaction the DONORS have by supporting your cause. Very insightful!

N
    1 Reply
  • Myth number 2 remains a big hindrance to my fundraising success. In fact I have always believed the popular phrase "Your Network is Your Networth". I guess the best way to overcome this challenge is networking like crazy which admittedly isn't easy thing but doable.

• Fundraising is not just about asking for cash. Some people think that fundraising is just about asking for money, but in reality, it is about building relationships, engaging donors, and communicating the impact of the organization's work.

• While raising money is not all about knowing rich people, knowing them could be an asset. What Tom is saying to fundraisers is that we do not have to worry if we do not have wealthy people in our contacts. We can involve family, friends, co-workers or fellow students to get started with our social impact projects. When the success stories of those projects are shared, they will reach high places who will be persuaded to offer their support.

That's great!

• I think I have made this mistake several times, believing that to do fundraising it has to literally be "fundraising." Great insights coming from this course already.

• Yes, ones mind will want to go after rich people, especially in a poor country
    But with this course, one now has a better insight into fundraising

• Well Thank you Tom, for explaining all the 7 myths in much detail. Now I have more clarity about the myth 1. Also I have learned a lot in this module. The myth 4 and 5 i will apply most in my organization that will help us in fundraising. Thank you

• I was surprised about myth 1, that in fundraising, one person gives and another receives. I was of the impression that the donor gives and the recipient gives nothing in return except perhaps a thank you.

• I was also of the impression that the donors get nothing in return except a thank you note. Great to know that the feeling of fulfillment that comes with giving can be considered as a gift to the donor.

• Yes indeed it was an eye opener. Always thought giving is one way traffic from the donor to the recipient. My thinking has been changed.

• i actually find it hard to believe that the internet has taken over physical interactions on fundraising. My question is, how possible is that

• Each and every one of these myths brought something new. Even know I had understood the truths of most, the way it was broken down brings new light. Two myths however stood out to me Myth #3 and Myth #5.
    I did always view Fundraising as a transaction but to be able to frame it as both sides receive something from it was eye-opening. When doing an event that makes sense but from an individual donor standpoint it was new.

I also always thought that numbers mattered more and that stories could come second. it will be nice to try putting the stories first.

• It has opened my eyes to see that in getting donors, all I need is someone who supports and believe in what I do. From there the cycle will keep growing and growing. The more the better.
    Sometimes donations in kind can help you achieve what you want faster than raising the actual cash.

• st: I was most surprised to learn that myth 2 was not true because rich people have a lot of money to give but alone with your friends and family you can get to the rich people . One question I have about myth 2 what happens if the closest people dont want to give you money .

• Wow!!!

This course is so good!

One thing that got my attention was that there is so much involved in fundraising, so much that it's not a one-man job.

Interestingly, I have also always thought statistics and data was a must, even though they're still important, I'm glad to know they're not compulsorily the only way to pass information.

• I was surprised by the reasons behind myth #4, but as you mention, making it a meeting of the minds does make fundraising seem easier!

• the internet and rich people

• i was surprised to know that fund raising is not only about funds. i had to unlearn and relearn to enable me function properly as supposed.

• yes, with the new mindset we can do better and be professional too.

• One more think I believe is the powerful for fundraising which is using social media, especial twitter in order to fish hunted donation and funding, most of the senior management in the big organization use twitter as social media.

• I was surprised to learn that when making a case to a donor statistics and facts are the only thing that matter.
    Myth 5
    In proposal writing ,this is something that we always put into consideration and research lots about it. Story telling a core tool is often ignored or poorly delivered. This is a challenge to develop good stories, make sure they are authentic and look at its selling and convincing factors.
    A core thing is story telling is an art and one can take the initiative of learning how to do it.
    Imagine a story audio visually narrated, short and straight to the point, highlighting the subject matter, what is it returning factor?

• Myth #3 surprise me so much because it said fundraising is a transaction which means both of you (fundraiser and donor) receive a gifts, its understandable to me when Tom explained it with example.thank alot I will keep it in mind .

• Honestly i was surprised also.

• I must admit that, I was surprised with myth 02, I am happy with the way the lecturer explained and clarified it. Before now I though fund raising was all about knowing rich people. Now I get to look at it from a different perspective.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.