Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I've seen a lot of comments about the importance of stories vs. facts - that really jumped out to me as well. It's such a good reminder. The idea that we are motivated and inspired by stories more than anything else - maybe because we see ourselves reflected - and it's interesting to think about raising money and cultivating donors through a lense of storytelling. It definitely changes the approach, and it also feels more fun.

• I have been surprised by myth 4, that in fundraising you should tell the donor as much about your organization as possible in order to get more funding. Truly, if i were to write a grant proposal before this course i would have blundered. Now I know i need to know what the donor is interested in and direct the conversation in that direction.

• I have been surprised by myth 4, that in fundraising you should tell the donor as much about your organization as possible in order to get more funding. Truly, if i were to write a grant proposal before this course i would have blundered. Now I know i need to know what the donor is interested in and direct the conversation in that direction.

• Yes, this was the myth that surprised me the most. I would have thought I was advisable to give as much information as possible. However, the clarification that it is best to listen to the donor to IDENTIFY points of convergence and then use those as entry points into the conversion .... GREAT

• Generally, I have realized that financial and non-financial support is critical. All this start before an organization starts to operate. For instance, your pre-operational and immediate post-formation boards of directors volunteer their time and services. In addition, most of the initial organization staff like the Executive Director volunteers time and resources towards actualizing the boards dream.
    I come out of this with a lesson on the communal nature of fundraising. It is evident that an Executive Director is the 'de facto' fundraising superstar while staff, beneficiaries, and board wait patiently to consume. Everything is new here, I mean I am a better person at fundraising and I see a lot of opportunities around me. I must confess, that knowing the rich isn't everything, yet valuable.

B
    1 Reply
  • Very informative, you see the present near possibilities. I call it starting from the near fruits.

• Much of what was discussed in the podcast was already known to me. However, the discussion did clarify areas where before I was not clear about, such as "not telling the donor as much about your org as possible but instead letting the donor do most of the talking," and then using this to gain information and use this information later on in your working relationship.

• Well said! Yes, knowing wealthy people, while helpful in fundraising, is not the be all end all of fundraising. There are many nuances with the work of fundraising, as you point out in your post.
    Thanks and good luck with your work!

• I consider that the 7 myths are true, most of us have a wrong knowledge about fundraising. It is necessary to clearly understand what fundraising is. Starting from these myths gives a starting point to understand clearly about fundraising.

• I enjoyed the course

• Fundraising is all about getting money. Without money nothing can be done. I totally agree that you need to know how to sell your product to the relevant donors.

• All of these myths make sense. Coming in with a bit more experience, I wasn't surprised. If I would have taken this course as a new fundraiser, I would have been surprised about the "one person gives and another receives". Fundraising can seem very transactional to the common eye. In realization, I have gotten so much from my donors over the years.

• I got surprised with the myth number 02 that fund raising is all about knowing rich people. It was quite enlightening

• Big Learning on several point, for example myth one
    hope to learn in coming lessons

• Great learning

• I felt very connected to myth #4- this was a great reminder and explanation of how to go about listening to find common points and steer the conversation with potential donors. I also find it helpful to research- especially for larger donors- to see what their 5 or 10 year strategic plan or objectives are. This gives me a better idea of key words and directions to take our conversation. Also, I understand better why I am so exhausted these days after reviewing all my tasks mentioned in myths 6 and 7... as a new employee to our organization without a clear-cut fundraising plan (yet), I do feel I am doing many of these tasks on my own. This was a nice reminder that that is not how it is supposed to be and has given me some ideas as to how to move forward with bringing some colleagues on board and delegating some tasks. Great module, thank you.

• I was most surprised ot learn about myth 7. The Internet has completely changed how we do fundraising. We have only been fundraising since the internet and most of our funds are through internet donations, but learning this myth helped us to think about ways that we can fundraise in person.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true. In my previous non-profit work, I was made to believe that the potential donors MUST know everything about our organization. I was enlightened by this module that donors like to talk about themselves. And just like any partnership, I must learn about the donor by letting them talk about themselves or finding out about them beforehand.

• I dont really expected most of these seven myths of fundraising, especially number 3.

• It happened to me as well. Its all about what you can offer to the donor.

• I was surprised myth 7 was not true because I thought the internet had changed how fundraising is done.

• Myth number 3. You always think the donor does not need anything from you.

• Myth 2 surprised me the most because I always believed it was all about who you knew. One question I have about myth 2 is does it help knowing at least some rich people?

• I have always believed that while developing a fundraising agenda, tell the donor all about the organisation and the project. Taking this course has elightened that 'just tell the donor what exactly concerns them and beef itb rraly with succes stories about the project and the justification on why they need to invest in course.

• Myth 5 stood out for me the most. I have always focused on data for my pitch to fundraisers but myth # 5 being busted changed my approach.

• I was surprised with the myth number 02 that fund raising is all about knowing rich people but its is good to know every one can facilitate and support to some one in his capacity.

• I was intrigued to learn that it isn't always the best strategy to tell a potential donor as much as possible about the organization or project. I see that it makes sense to encourage her/him to talk about what interests her/him, providing an opportunity to learn more about what moves this person to give.

• I would agree. I have always felt like donors wanted to hear many specifics on numbers, whether financial or otherwise.

• I would agree. I have always felt like donors wanted to hear many specifics on numbers, whether financial or otherwise.

• I was surprised when I learnt that myth no 4 is not true because I have always thought that it is important to give a potential donor ALL the information available so as to help them make better decisions. However, I learnt that information provided can be customized from donor to donor depending on their interests.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I always thought to convince the donors I need to tell them more of what we are doing than them speaking

• I feel the same way too

• I believed in myth 2, Fundraising only know rich people, not another people

• Myth 4. Thought letting the donor know everything about the charity would be a selling point.

• Myth 2 got me thinking...although I didn't believe you HAD to know rich people, I also didn't realize how connected I was until I started thinking about it.

• i also was suprised to see that for fundraising its not all about cash and that where we all go wrong .One can ask for something which will help them achieve in there mission and vison.

I
    1 Reply
  • Wow! I have always believed that fundraising is all about getting cash. Knowing that this is a myth, leaves me humble, to say the least.

• Hello, I used thick 4th myth is true but it is wrong.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 6 was not true because I have been working solo building this foundation and very much feel like a superstar at times. But I am currently at a phase were I know a team of active participants are necessary if this will become a bonafide business. If I intend to continue this business and not experience burnout, a team is essential to avoid dissolution and experience growth.

• No , I got a new knowledge and everything was self explanatory.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 3 was not true because I never really considered the often intangible things a donor receives from the experience of donating and association with a cause she finds worthy. One question I have about myth 5 is how can I determine the best balance between compelling stories and statistics?

• The 7 Myths of Fundraising is a great introduction to fundraising. I have been in development/data entry for almost two years now and this course has really allowed me to see fundraising from a whole new prospective.

• I found it very interesting that most donors weren't just swayed by facts and statistics. That's just the way I think. I guess it does make sense though because everyone's favourite topic of conversation usually themselves.

• Same here, I thought the more you know rich people the easy and successful fundraising activities

• Module 2 in Fundraising is much improved

• I had known a few people who work for or own rather large and successful non-profits and the entire concept of fund-raising seemed mysterious and/or a tinge sleazy; but after getting what I'm sure is a very high level view of the core concepts from this course, I can see a much more detailed silhouette finally coming into view. Very exciting, can't wait to learn more.

• I was truly surprised about myth number 4, I was sure that it needed to tell donors everything what happened to your project.

• I agree you would think telling people more about your organization would be helpful but also you do not want the conversation to get boring I understand why less is more and why listening to the donor talk about themselves is important you are gathering information on the donor to focus on what interests them about helping the organization.

1 Reply
  • Up until now I was focused on telling the complete story of the organisation. This section helped me debunk this myth.

• All along I thought I knew that donors are rich people who have surplus money to donate!

• I'm really happy to read about the team-work.

• It was a good reminder to be thinking about how the donor also benefits through the process of giving. This makes it a lot easier to make the ask since I am convinced that they are benefitting through the process of giving. It's more a mutual giving and receiving dynamic that we are asking them to enter into.

• Yes! this point you raised really helped me to think about how much talking i do, and to be selective about what i share. if i were to be sharing so much, it may actually create a bad impression and kill off the relationship.

• I also had the same thinking. This course shifted my perspective and started to realised that I actually have people around me who can greatly contribute in our fundraising strategy.

• This myth also surprised me as I always taught of people who have many as potential donors. We learn everyday.

• I'm really happy to read about the team-work.

• I have started a local non-profit organization; I'm quite happy to learn some of this myths which actually believe some of them as true

• My sentiments exactly. Now am glad to know that Stories matter alot

• I have thought numbers were the priority and this course has made me know it is more of compelling stories.

• I wasn't particularly surprised by any of the myths, but I might have guessed that the internet had changed things more than Tom says it has.

• i thought fundraising is only about getting cash until now

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because fundraising can either be in terms of monetary or non monetary. One question I have about myth 1 is, can floating money form part of myth 1?

• I found it great when soliciting donors via internet using success stories and fact sheets posted in our organization website.

• i believed that when you want some thing right, do it your self. but this is not true in fund raising, you always need your team for it to work

• What struck me was the fact we have to listen more and let the donor speak about what interests him.

• I always thought Fundraisers are superstar and work alone from Myth 6, but Dr. Tom explained that Fundraising is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration when you are making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are not the single most compelling tools for persuation. Fund raising is all about team effort

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 6 was not true because I was under the impression that most fundraisers work alone. One question I have about myth 6 is do grant writers fail into this category considering that most grant writers work alone.

• I was most surprised by myth number 4: you should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    I used to think that the more you tell them about your organization or project, the more they would be willing to donate.

• I completely agree, but I do think that up to a certain point, numbers are important - but they can't be your entire story.

• Myth #6 In our Organization, we had no idea that every section within an organization has its role in fundraising process and they compliment each other

• Improve economic situation of the
    targeted population.
     Promote reconciliation of people in the
    target area.
     Build confidence through
    strengthening the capacity to manage
    agricultural and rural development
    joint activities.
     Activities include pasture restoration,
    beekeeping, orchard development,
    berry cultivation, greenhouse
    construction, sheep rising, and
    creating small-scale irrigation and
    water supply facilities.
     Carried out cooperatively by Bosnians
    and Serbs, forming an interlinked
    network to create more opportunities
    for the two groups to physically
    interact.
     Implemented with city hall
    involvement, aiming for city hall public
    servants to maintain the activities
    themselves.
     Includes provisions to build
    cooperative relationships for the three
    cities (Srebrenica, Bratunac &
    Rogatica) to share their experiences
    and knowledge.

• I enjoyed learning about mtyh number onebolded text

• stories can be more important than statistics in catching a donors attention.

• Myth #3 surprised me because I've always thought that the donor simply gives and receives nothing in return. It's however, great to understand now that they receive some form of fulfilment by participating in life changing causes.

• I was most surprised with myth no.6, I think my organization has so much expectations from me, they dealt with me as a super hero in fundraising as I'm doing everything and this is so much effort and tasks for me. this is unfair.

• Now I understand perfectly what Donor mapping means in fundraising.

• Everything related to these seven fundraising myths are very interesting. I'm new to learning about this topic and this module has helped me a lot to have a clearer idea how to get started in this topic.

• This is one of the myths that surprised me more: You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible. I thought that the donor should always know everything about the organization.

B
    1 Reply
  • For me, I was so surprised that Myth 4 was not true. My reason is borne out of the mindset that someone that needs a sponsor or donor must be able to convince the donor about his or her project.

My question is wont I talk about my project at all? If I want to, at what point can I introduce my project?

Thanks.

• Same here with me. Because I felt meeting your donor is more like an opportunity to sell your product to the donor. Interesting tip but highly noted.

• Smiles. The beauty of is also having more super heroes like you working as a team for your organisation. This will make your organisation tip.

• I was very amazing with how some rich people can't donate unless you know them I can't believe that

• I was surprised to learn that myth no. 4 was actually just a myth. I used to believed that donors just want to know all about how their donations would be used and be convinced that it would not be wasted. I'm glad that myth has been bursted.

• I was suprised with the myth number four either. I mean.. I've always worked with sales, and I know how listening first works very well to make a negotiation, uniting the customer's points of interest to the product I intended to sell. But I wasn't expecting that it works the same in fundraising.

• What stood out to me the most was the concept that fundraising is a transaction where both parties benefit. I haven't thought about it that way before. Looking through this lens is helpful.

• I was confused because my own notice cannot alter my mine I mean this my community are focusing them as a myth but now as I look at it they true.

• This is always a good reminder so that we can tailor the discussion on our program to the possible donor.

• I was surprised to hear about the myth of discussing everything about your business. in business when you are applying for loan or investers they teach that this is essential, however you need to know exactly what to say beacuse you have 3 secound window to wow and then 1minute tops to sell them.

• It was encouraging to know that a team effort brings success.

• This is a very educative and interesting module

• My name is Taha Sharafeldin Ali from Sudan , it's really agood opportunity to introduce my self to you.
    As I enjoy this course to improve my capacity building, if any one have some notice I will be happy to hear more as am in the first step to learn .

• I initially thought telling fundraisers as much as possible would be the most effective way of getting them board. It was insightful to discover that telling a story related to the NGO you are working in and also considering the individual and giving attention/allowing them the opportunity to talk about themselves to that potential fundraiser is in fact more beneficial than spewing statitics.

• Each gives the other -it is a partnership offer so be clear about what you are giving, Think sale and purchase or funding and opportunity

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because it depends on type of donors, there are many donors especially they are interested about results especially from Corporate Social Responsibility. One question I have about myth 6 is how we can generate interest of someone who has skill but completely from different domain and doesn't have interest or time for fund raising .

• Fundraising isn't about just making money it's about meeting different needs of fundraising helping other people in
    field to grow. This help me to be a better person. And visit beautiful mountains

• Myth 2 & 6 helped me understand the potential I have to become a successful fundraiser.

• i was surprised with myth 2;i thought knowing rich people is all that matters but am glad how the lecturer broke it down.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 7 was not true because the internet has provided many new ways to connect with individuals across the globe.

• The myths that surprised me the most were; Number 2. Raising money is all about knowing rich people and Number 4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    I always thought that fundraising was an activitie only for famous, well known or known between the richest people, and when Tom Wolf said that at the beginning we can't expect a lot, it is like everythig else in this life because even people who know rich people start somewhere and it doesn't always is from the top, so as he also said "it is about finding supportes as many as we can who can spread the word" that supporters could be our family, our friends, our accquaintences and people we know along the way because maybe the people we know won't do a donation but their accquaintences, family and/or friends will.
    And I was enchanted to hear the explanation of myth number 4, i love being charismatic I think that it is something that is very natural in myself and personality and I really love to genuinely care about people, I really love what they have to say, their stories and life history, their experiences, and I do love too accompanying individuals, make them feel love, feel somebody because nowadays people are feeling so alone but it is the feeling that unites us the most.

• i was most suprised about myth 4,i always thought donors want to now more about your organisation

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.