Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Dora's decision due to the less funding this year in its NGO is to use the professional writing skills to communities' women. By that, women will later on be employed whenever they acquire such professional education duties.

• Decisions should always be driven by data

• Decisions should always be driven by data

• I am thinking of stopping the professional writing class because the field of technical skills is broader and includes many explanations in the community.
    But this decision also varies according to the target community

• Using digital techology !!!

• evidence based decision making is both scientific and, often times ,leads to good result. This is made possible with the use of scientifically collected data to evaluate several options

• evidence based decision making is both scientific and, often times ,leads to good result. This is made possible with the use of scientifically collected data to evaluate several options

• In many third world countries, Nigeria for instance, most policy makers are corrupt, and so they demand huge amount of money to get a simple policy document passed. Supposing that an Advocacy Group does not have the money demanded, how do we navigate through such challenge?

• In some contexts, key government officials are the direct beneficiaries of existing malfunctioned system that an Advocacy Group might want to change. How do you get them change their minds knowing that they benefit from the status quo

• Both writing and technology classes are important. If it is compulsory that one be cut off, then she should consider cutting the class with less participants.

• In measuring outcome, It is important to focus a specific area of your advocacy activities and measure changes that have taken place, and how they can be traced to your efforts

• The information should be pass to the end users of the program ,in a form of questionaire
    Should teaching skill be drop or technical skill ? From Thier response the team will be able to evaluate Thier response and make a better decision .

• I will recommend that Dora should keep the mentorship programme and give up the other two focus teaching. Mentorship has proven an effective strategy globally to achieving success in human endeavour. Coaching, intership and role-modelling are all examples of mentorship that have been used to drive enterpreneurial success just as Dora has alluded to based on her experience.

• Because nowadays lives revolves around technology I think it best if she cut the writing class.

• Though is difficult decision to make. I would prefer to source other funds to implement all the programs however if no fund is available I willa advice her to remove technology skill program.

• I think Dora should continue with what is important to her while consider others later.

• Deciding what to do in monitoring and evaluation is never valid. It's either we use monitoring data or evaluation data to make the right choice of what we want to be funded or we wish to implement.

• Deciding what to do in monitoring and evaluation is never valid. It's either we use monitoring data or evaluation data to make the right choice of what we want to be funded or we wish to implement.

• she should cut the writing class

• she should cut the writing class

• Dora should not put emotions in her decision making, i.e. her own connection to the mentoring she received in the past. She should focus on the mission of the NGO's works for. In this regard, Dora should make sure that an objective assessment of the outcomes of the three programs under the NGO's portfolio are evaluated so that the most effective in terms of empowring women to get jobs is carried on with.

• Dora's should collect both monitoring & evaluation data for all the programs under the NGO's portfolio. Then, draw her conclusion on which programs to close.

• Dora reflects on her own experience.

• I personally think Dora should stop the professional writing class because the field of technical skills is broader and includes many explanations in the community.

• Dora should should revisit the data from previous programs that had an impact in connecting the women to more opportunities. From there she can make an evidence based decision on which program to upscale and one to drop.

• I am thinking of stopping the professional writing class because the field of technical skills is broader and includes many explanations in the community.

• This is a tight spot for Dora. However, I think Dora needs to use data to find out which of the programmes is most successful and that which is least successful. From there, she will be able to make a data-driven decision which is more likely to benefit the NGO in the long run. Her intuition is not enough to take such a decision

• This is a tight spot for Dora. However, I think Dora needs to use data to find out which of the programmes is most successful and that which is least successful. From there, she will be able to make a data-driven decision which is more likely to benefit the NGO in the long run. Her intuition is not enough to take such a decision. As the data indicated, Dora's intuition was a confirmatory bias but from the data pulled out, the mentorship program appeared costlier and less efficient

• dorah should carry out an analysis "M & E" analysis on all programs and see which one has much impact on women and then remove the one with less impact

• Couper le cours de technologie

• I think that if i was Dora i would cut the professional weiting skills for now and concentrate on the Technolgy slills and the program that connects women to be successful entrepreneurship. Professional writting can be incorporated later in the program maybe as a workshop but the other 2 skills can give these women livelihoods. All the programs are equally important but the 2 i have chosen are extremely important for the livelihoods.

• I think that if i were Dora i would pull out data for all participants who participated in all 3 programs and analyse the data to check the success rate of participants after they got the skills. The question will be how many participants were hired after attending the course. Based on the findings i will therefore make a decision as to which program can be shut down or phased out. Its easy to make a decision based on the personal experience but it can also be biased if not backed up by data it can be the biggest mistake of the decision maker. It can be biased.
    So the correct way of making decisions it must be based on data.

• Dora in order to chose which one to cut technology or writing class
    She should do the following
    Compile the number of beneficiaries attend each class
    The number of BFs who record their satisfactions of each course
    Then to do analysis for the data after that she can represent the data to stockholders and what decisions had been taken.

• I think that if i were Dora i would pull out data for all participants who participated in all 3 programs and analyse the data to check the success rate of participants after they got the skills. The question will be how many participants were hired after attending the course. Based on the findings i will therefore make a decision as to which program can be shut down or phased out. Its easy to make a decision based on the personal experience but it can also be biased if not backed up by data it can be the biggest mistake to the decision maker. It can be biased.
    So the correct way of making decisions it must be based on the findings from the data collected during yhe program. Hence it is important for the whole team to prioritise data collection and data use for decision making.

• in Dora's position I would evaluated both programs and see which one has a huge impact and keep it.

• dora will study very well their data to take decision

• For this particular issue I believe that decision based on experience will not help much. This is exactly where either Dora's NGO should use available data or conduct an assessment or survey to collect the data to use in decision making about the program to move on with. Dora and her team have got to analyze that data in order to decide cutting down the non performing.

• There are difficult situations that are faced in many programs. Availability of some relevant data can be key in making informed decisions. In Dora's case, I suggest she would way the demand between the two skills her project offers. Otherwise, she might terminate the other when it is the highly demanded skill on the job market as such it would seem as though the program is not effective in making the participants highly employable

• Dora should collect data on the two classes, analyses it and which class is more effective than the other, the less effective class should be cut

A
    1 Reply
  • If the only option is to select which options to keep and which to cut, she should keep the mentorship program and discard the professional writing skill and technology programs. This is because very likely during mentorship, the professional skills and technology would be addressed. This would save costs of funding them as separate programs.

• Dorah need to send M&E hired team to go out and monitor the impact and evaluate the performance of the programs she's offering and from such information she would based her decision from.

• Dora should follow her intuition

1 Reply
  • Dora can still carry out the mentorship program by reducing the number of women that the fund can cater for instead of cutting one of the two essential skills

• This sis a situation that most people find themselves in when making decisions in a situation like this. Doras's attachment to mentorship has a great influence in her making a choice. however maybe that program is not the best performing program or has not helped improve the lives and incomes of many young girls. I strongly propose that she leaves her biased and try to run a small evaluation and analyze each program independently, taking into considerations the performances of each program and particularly the factors responsible for high or low performance factors that are responsible for low performance which are difficult to manage should be considered as a red flag for elimination.

• i think she should eliminate the ideas of thinking first about mentorship. all three courses should be subjected to an analysis

• this may lead her to make wrong decisions don't you think. intuitions are not evidence based. there are based on emotions and feelings. what if the feeling Dora has towards mentor ship is not backed by performance of the course towards achieving her organizations goals " improving income of low-income women" here organization may fall due to this discission. think about it!

• what if the one she is choosing and holding ties to mentorship is the least performant. she should not be bias.

• Dora's decision is based on her own experience and cannot be representative of the majority. To decide to cut which program, Dora should conduct a secondary data review if there is no primary data readily available to assist her decision making. Alternatively, Dora can also conduct a number of informal interview to get more information about the experience and opinions of others. Just to base on Dora's experience and to jump to a decision is a hasty and non-representative of the majority. This might lead to an ethical issue. This is not to discuss about the differences in her experience and backgrounds as compared with the other people which could lead to a totally different decision.

• She needs to evaluate the three programs and then choose one with the best results and better costs.

• She needs to evaluate the three programs and then choose one with the best results and better costs.

• Dora should collect data on the different programs and their impact on helping the women get jobs. From her analysis and interpretation of these data, she can make an informed decision on which program to cut off.

• I think Dora's decision is not appropriate, a manager should not follow her past experiences to make decisions.
    The manager should base their decisions on the data that is available in the organisation not speculations, experiences and feelings

• I think, Dora should maintain a class program that teaches professional writing skills and another class that teaches technology skills, because the program gives more learning but also becomes a program that really needs a mentor

• i think dora should listen to her intuition

• if she has been running three programs then she should evaluate all the programs and maintain that with a higher impact on the benefactors. people's abilities differ, the mentorship program might have worked well for her but it can not be the case for every other woman.

• if she has been running three programs then she should evaluate all the programs and maintain that with a higher impact on the benefactors. people's abilities differ, the mentorship program might have worked well for her but it can not be the case for every other woman.

• that would be good

• Dora should analyse her data from past training and as well conduct a survey with beneficiaries to know which of the programme has the most impact.

Based on the report gotten, Dora should make her decision to cut off the programme that has the least impact.

• This is interesting.

• Dora should recalls all what she learned from mentorship inorder to maintain the organization.

• Dora should use the data available to make such decisions. Relying on her personal experiences leads to biases.

• as per paragraph that describe Dora's some of the experienced and efforts she has gained on the mentorship on the success on connecting women to successfull enterprenuership.Dorah seems to already have some experience that can still help or exponse herself or that can not keep her down in doing her ideas all what she can do is to invest her knowledge

• no need to cut her classes

• Dora need to learn how to use data to make this right now.

• What she likely needs is Evaluation data type this will help her decide which projects impact most on the participants employment skills currently needed.

• Dora should use the data from the program on writing skills and the one on technology to ascertain which one has the largest market demand in terms of employment and pick that.

• She should base her decision on evidence from the previous program

• I agree to dora decision .Mentorship can be a very crucial tool for empowerment ,through linking them with mentors the mentors will guide them thrrough and also help them with guidance and training in the the writing skills and technology.

• She should first look at the previous projects and from the data and inferences drawn ,she can use the results to make a conclusive decision

• I will suggest she looks at her database. Data base will explain to her which of the programs has actually been producing results and the once that has been wasting resources. The one wasting resources should be suspended without bais.

• Dora can use data to find out which program is successful amongst the programs mentioned. If i were to decided on Dora`s behalf without using data, the explanation below would be my decision.

I think Dora should keep a class that teaches professional writing skills and another class that teaches technology skills. I am saying so because I think Dora has gained enough knowledge to let go of the mentorship program and be a mentor to these people. Another option is to request people who have graduated from her program to mentor the following group of students.

• According to me Dora could cut the program where she spent a lot of money for example I could cut thechnology based program for the reasons:

reason 1: cost of tools is high
    reason 2: technology itself is expensive
    reason 3: accessing technologically stored data needs extra costs
    reason 4:there is a need of skilled expert for using this technologyto

• Dora should overcome her temptation and make of program data to inform her decision about which of these programs to cut. I she goes ahead to keep the mentorship program at the expense of one of the other programs without using sound data, her decision will be bias in favor of her sentiment; which lead to very poor decision making in most cases.

• Dora should listen to her intuition and keep the mentorship program while cuts off either the technology or writing class. Getting good mentors will do the women more good, as it will help them grow well in enterprenuership while they can use the gain from there to further in acquiring technology or writing skills.

• great decision

• I think that Dora because of her own experience when she was a young woman, that she was lucky enough to find a mentor who really supported her efforts to grow and credits a lot of her success to this mentorship, that she should listen to her intuition and keep the mentorship program and cut either the technology or writing class

• Due to budget constraints, I advise Dora to eliminate one of the programs stated as "there is a class that teaches professional writing skills."

• Dora should use the data to make decisions collected from mentorship, technology and writing class

• On a simple advise on Dora's decision l would advise her to first collect or gather the data by conducting a survey from all the mentioned indicators and carry an analysis and use the outcomes she will find then basing on her experience alone.

• Dora should go a head with her decision of keeping her intuition because that is her inner voice telling her to do something.

• Dora should consider by reduce the spread of the program rather then closing either of the programs. She can reduce like the number of trainings, intake of students, timing like instead of doing weekly training can be reduce to monthly or quarterly at best.

• These are some of the things I think Dora should consider. The cost. Dora should provide a course which has lower expenditure to start with as they progress with time. Dora could also consider the Course which is most preferred by the beneficiaries . She should interview or use any appropriate mean to collect data from the beneficiaries to determine the most preferred course. Finally she could also find out the most marketable course between the two.

• Given that we are in the era of new technologies, the first decision that might be the good one can be cutting off the writing skills program. If those women are well trained using Technology, they will easily get access to writing templates or skills later on.

Another thing to consider will also be the location of our story. Maybe the NGO is found in a remote village where the jobs there don't require technological knowledge. If this is the case then, they can learn writing skills first.

• How will she evaluate the effectiveness ?

• Professional writing skills are a presentation of the kind of person you are. These will be important when writing Resumes and Cover Letters that could possibly get you the job that you desire. On the other hand, technology is the new thing in today's world. It is innovating and changing every minute so everyone needs to get along with the times and be knowledgeable about it. 10 years from now, a higher proportion of jobs will be replaced by the latest technology. In as much as everyone needs a mentor to coach them into being whatever they would like to, in this aspect I think mentorship would be less significant as compared to writing skills and technology, a lot of people have made a success of themselves without the need for anyone guiding them.

• I think Dora should conduct a survey to her beneficiaries to collect data based on their experience because thing might have changed depending on time and circumstances

• Its difficult time for Dora now
    I think if she can try find investors for her program before giving up
    Again its a good Idea to keep the mentorship program while cutting either the technology or writing class

• What Dora is doing to the communities, it is good.
    The best way is to listen to her intuition and keep the mentorship program, because mentorship played a big role to her life for her to be where she is today. This means she must keep mentoring the women as it can also empower them.

• What Dora is doing to the communities, it is good.
    The best way is to listen to her intuition and keep the mentorship program, because mentorship played a big role to her life for her to be where she is today. This means she must keep mentoring the women as it can also empower them.

• As the Executive Director, Dora should first of all in order to make sound, rational and productive decision, reflect critically on the data. She has to analyze all running programs and evaluate their impact and success, so that she cut off the less effective one. that will help her avoid the risk of biasness. but once she follows her intuition and keep the mentorship program over the other two only because she once had a mentor that will be a bias decision. by right data based decision making should be used over any other.

• Dora should cut off technology and writing skill program and attend to a mentorship class of interpreure which is illign her to her vision of the NGO.
    Since they will be less funders this year its better for her to help other woman thought this.

• Dora va prendre en compte les compétences d'écriture professionnelle parce que si les dames parvenaient à bien maitriser comment se créer une profession elles peuvent le temps subir des formations sur les compétences professionnelles pour qu'elles soient complètes.

• Dora needs to understand the employment market before cutting down the education programmes, additionally she also needs to compare the cost efficiency and explore the possibility of keeping two programmes instead of only one. She can also interview former network of women who participated in this program to understand their perspective on the program effectiveness, a study on current employability according to the programme enrollment is also critical.

• Dora needs to do a research on how effective the programs have been. Running decisions on intuition is a horrible mistake for corporate projects and functions.

• she should have a look at the certain time background and conditions of the target community where she would like to apply the programme because it worked with her, but the target people and certain community conditions might not appropriate to the programme. As a result, she can decide which class is the better to invest.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.