Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I was real suprised and enlighted after learn about no 2 now i know better

• I was most suprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I thought donors would want to know as much about our cause and the work we do in order to donate. I can now see and understand the importance of listening to your donor and connecting your work to the things that matter most to them. I am curious how you know when to stop asking questions and listening to the potential donor and tie the conversation back to your work.

• i think the course its wonderfulli think the good course

• i think the course its wonderfulli think the good course

• I was surprised when listening that you shouldn't tell a donor as much as possible about your organization or project. I do believe that people enjoy talking about themselves so this makes complete sense.

• I found the myths very interesting as they reflected my thoughts to a large degree. The one that caught me most off-guard was #4 - telling all you know about your organization. Instead, I learned its more about listening. I've always known that people love to talk about things they love....themselves, their interests, etc., So it makes perfect since now.

• Hello!
    I knew about myths 1 and 6. But the rest of the myths were eye-opening to me. Now I know that it is important to listen to the donor and his interests, have a compelling story to tell, you should start fundraising with people around you and build up, you still have to contact and convince the donors to donate and that as an Organization, you also have something valuable to offer the donor.

• the myth about one person receiving and the other giving was enlightening to me. i also learnt to listen when a potential donor is speaking and get learning points

• Being careful to only accept in kind donations that are useful to your cause.

• This model has opened my eyes on fundraising,previously I had thoughts as identified in the seven myths,but now I see it is possible to start fundraising at my surrounding community.

• I was surprised by myth number 5 because I always thought that results is what only matters. I agree that telling stories are crucial to attain the donors, it is very effective.

• Myth No.6 is not a surprise, I have found tha the best fundraisers are ususally people passionate with the cause.

• 6 Myth .is a natural fact

• Being involved in writing proposals for external donor funding from the beginning of my career, I always thought fundraising is all about rasing cash for philanthropic and conservation work. It's the first of the seven fundraising myths,

• I thought that I need to feed a Donor with all my details to projects to get funds, but this module gave other good side. And also I had no Idea about the Kind donation, now I am aware of

• Myth 4 was surprising to me because, Most times when we recieve donors, we conecentrate to show our best side and our best color and probably hardly give them time to share and discuss more about themsleves.

• Yes. basics remains the same

• As a beginner in fundraising , the myth that surprised my a lot is the first one, for my background, only fund is about money , I appreciate the effort for this module

• Myth no. 5.
    I assumed that numbers and stats would be more convincing for donors and would be information that has the power to gather more resources while fundraising especially. But, yes, stories of impact/change/ hope will be more effective in communicating the cause to potential donors. It might also lead to getting resources that we may not have mapped, but which may turn out to be lucrative.

F
    1 Reply
  • For me the most surprising myth was that internet has not changed the fundraising methods much . I thought it made much easier as the access for new circles of funders much faster.

• Yah ,but it requires a team work to showcase the stories in an attractive way , and not compromising the story owners.

• After listening to Tom Wolf's podcast , many myths regarding the concept of fund raising got demystified . Thank you very much

• I was surprised to learn that I can fundraise among people I know and relate with.
    My question is how do I change my thinking that my network can support me in my fundraising for a cause I consider important.

• This step-by-step instructions is perfect: Planning and strategizing, identifying prospects, following up and courting donors, designing compelling materials, keeping your website up to date, collecting stories, record keeping, reporting, servicing donors, acknowledging gifts.

• All along i knew that in fundraising only one party benefits and that its only the rich like bill gates who do fundraise. but this course has enlighted me alot.

• I was surprised to learn about myth 2 because I thought fundraising is about knowing rich people but am now very grateful about the knowledge I have acquired thank you

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 2 was not true because how can normal people be main donor One question I have about myth 7 is how can the donor trust internet fundraising ?

• Myth number 7. I thought that in the presence of the internet it is considered the number one source of fundraising.

• ys,kopkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Having been involved in donor engagement for almost 13 years, I am not surprised by any of the notions that corrected the myths. However, the one that stood out was not to tell the potential too much about your organization and its mission, etc., but rather, listen to them and get to know what their ideals, etc. are. I agree with this wholeheartedly. Identifying the right donor is critical to ensure that your goals align. You will be wasting your time to apply for a grant or loan that, not only you don't qualify for, but they may require you, or you may be obligated to do something that doesn't align with your beliefs or mission.

• I was surprised at two of these myths being myths.

The fact that you are not supposed to tell your donors as much as possible about your organization. I thought that the more you kept them in the loop and the more that you tell them, the more likely they are to donate more. I thought they wanted to be in the loop, so to speak. But it makes sense that people like to talk about themselves and you don't have to tell them everything.

Also it surprised me that facts and statistics are not the only things that matter. In the nonprofit sector, I am so used to having to record and report every service we provide, and report on how many of what service and how many people were helped. But I guess this really only matters for grant purposes. For private donors, it makes sense that people want to hear the stories of how their contributions are making a difference, and see faces of those they have helped.

• I was surprised when I realised statistics shouldn't be the only we share in a proposal.

• I would like to focus on myth #4- not over sharing and talking about the organization but rather actively listening to what is important for the donor.

• ce cours est très important pour moi

• i was really surprised that myth 4 is a myth because i had previously believed that giving every information would build trust and then willingness to donate.

• Myth number 6 (A great fundraiser is an individual superstar) has been my greatest takeaway from this introduction. As a BDS, I have always been perceived as the money guy, the person who is going to change the story of my workplace. Yet, I keep telling my colleagues that we all are business developer of the organization. The work load of being alone in the process is too heavy for one person. We should all use of connections to get funding.

Example post: I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because ______________. One question I have about myth 1 is ___________ .

• It was interesting to learn that in myth three of fundraising, there is an exchange between the donor and the organization or entity that requests for something (either money , materials or services).

• I was surprised to learn that companies are looking for a two way relationship and looking for a inspirational stories more than only money and how to be used.

• I was so surprised to learn that myth 2 was not true because fundraising is not all about getting to know rich people. One question I have about myth 2 is how can fundraising be about getting to know only rich people

• I had also believed that you need to tell donors as much as possible about your organisation and what it is all about and the niche you have carved for yourself. That is myth number 4. But surprisingly, i have learnt to pay more attention to the interest of the donor and chip in what we do as and when necessary.

• I appreciated the discussion on the myths. Myth 4 "You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible" came across as different to the usual practice. Mostly we prepare presentations about our organizations and what we want to do if we receive support from donors but never really understanding what the donors do or what drives them. It was a lesson to consider when preparing to meet donors, that I should consider asking them to share about their goals and research about what drives them - so that I can see how my organization can offer anything to the transaction in line with what the donor needs to achieve and to also share stories resonating their needs.

• I was most surprised to learn that telling the donor as much about your organization or project as possible is a myth because I thought that is how you attract interest from Donors. I have realized the value in the Donor's experience as a shared value instead.

• I have always seen fundraising as embarrassing and sort of coming from a disadvantaged point, but i am coming round to the knowledge that if done right it is nothing of that sort, there is mutual value and benefits and it can be a sustainable relationship

• this course is an eye opener for me. prior, i thought it was all about money

• I had always thought fundraising involves telling your donor almost every single detail about your project or organization, but 'Truth 4' really cleared my misunderstanding. Thanks to Philanthropy University.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because support can also come in the form of people donating time or manufactured goods or food or space or a host of other things that furthers the work of the organization.

• I was surprised that donors don't need to see charts and graphs as much as they need to hear your stories and the sincerity for what you believe in to drive their interest. I appreciated the encouragement to let them talk so I can get to know them better so I know what inspires them. I have always been told that people aren't purchasing the product, they are purchasing your belief in the product.

E
    1 Reply
  • The myth 1 surprised me and now I know I was wrong about only getting cash as a fund. and the most I likes was the myth 7 which Ä° also thought the same. Thank you all the myths were clerified

• @msaleem said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was surprised with the myth number 02 that fund raising is all about knowing rich people but its is good to know every one can facilitate and support to some one in his capacity.

yes, it ir very important to have clarified that myth number 2, I thought that only rich people had to be a donors, anyone can be potential donor

• Myth two was one that caught me out though in hindsight it makes a lot of sense as 1 euro from 100 people is the same as 100 euro from 1 person. the other factor I thought important to take to heart was the importance of stories over statistics, and the importance of showing potential donors the impact and real life change their contribution would lead to

• Myth two was one that caught me out though in hindsight it makes a lot of sense as 1 euro from 100 people is the same as 100 euro from 1 person. the other factor I thought important to take to heart was the importance of stories over statistics, and the importance of showing potential donors the impact and real life change their contribution would lead to

• I thought that statistics and your achievements are what matters to donors bit now I have a better understanding of this.

• I was most surprised to learn myth number 2, raising money is all about knowing rich people. I didn't realize that so many of my social connections could be potential donors! I have a question about myth number 4, you should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization as possible. What things are essential to share along with stories?

• Myth 1: Fundraising is only about getting cash. I was thinking this perilous way and that's why I could not really embrace fundraising because I was wondering how I could raise money from already vulnerable network.

Thanks Instructor for deconstructing this terrible mindset within me. I now see Fund raising beyond cash to include materials, volunteer and time commitment and more.

• The topic was very helpful. I have gained a better understanding about fund raising because of the discussion. For a very long time, I believed mostly on those myths, but now I am somehow enlightened.

• I used to think fundraising is only about get money for a organization, but i was completely wrong.

• I thought the same way too.

• I also thought that raising fund is all about knowing Rich and we'll connected people

• I used to think that donors really want to see all the graphs and chart, but in as much as these are good but the success stories are more important

• Many of the myths has changed my mind set

• Many of the myths has changed my mind set

• Yes I was also surprised too, that raising money isn’t about rich people
    I now understand better and know that others too can support not necessarily rich

• Even me I was so surprised to learn that Myth 2 was just a myth because I believed it was the truth; fundraising to me was always about knowing rich people who matter in the society until I attended this class. Am now enlightened, ready to do better and grateful.

• i knew most of the myths but One of them i did not now about which is myth no 4.

• interesting module I learned a lot and was aware of some myths but myth number 5 was very interesting to learn about

• @Humayun360 said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I had long believed that numbers really matter to the fundraising campaigns but this module enlightened me that stories are far more effective than just numbers.

Same with me. very surprised that stories matters a lot. in my previously fundraising activities, i never even included any stories, i thought it was boasting, but now i understand.

• It was very important to hear about mith number 6, because sometimes you go with the (internet) flow and forget that all the other work needs to be done. As most of the NGO's don't have the money to invest in fundraising, the internet appears as the savior of the homeland and it is tempting to direct all our action to this medium because it is fast, easy and cheap.

• I like the 7 myths and each one has taught me new skills in fundraising. I liked more the point which says that fundraising is not only raising money but in kind donations are also needed

M
    1 Reply
  • I was aware of most of the myths but I never suspected the magic role of myth 5

• I was aware of most of the myths but I never suspected the magic role of myth 5

@Humayun360 said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I had long believed that numbers really matter to the fundraising campaigns but this module enlightened me that stories are far more effective than just numbers.

In most cases an organization is mostly attracted to those that are not rich because they are the ones that are closer to you

• Myth 7 may be a good one but not surprising as using stories to attract your donor

• As an organization we have tried sourcing fund through those that are not rich, we have been sourcing as a team , we are trying the online but using stories to capture donors interest has not been taped. All the 7 myths are well expatiated and well classified.

• Myth # 4 surprised me the most. One is always eager to explain our project, but as Tom mentioned: "people like to talk about themselves". It is very enlightening to me and has provided me with a new perspective when approaching donors.

• As Tom Wolf mentioned in the Introduction to Fundraising, Module 1, that there are seven myths and changing / transform them into fundraising truths. Truth number one, fundraising is about more than getting cash. Donated items that you need. Donated labour, or in-kind gifts can be of equal value if you can use them. Second, you don't have to know rich people to be an effective fund raiser. Most people start with family or friends. Truth number three, fundraising is a transaction in which both sides receive something. Be sure you're clear about what that something is when you ask for money. Truth number four. Listening to donors is often more important than lecturing them. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. And those personal experiences can be linked to the ask. Truth number five. Stories often matter more than statistics to capture people's attention. Truth number six, fundraising is a team effort and truth number seven, fundraising via the internet still holds many similarities to in person fundraising.

• I was very surprised that myth number four was not true because usually one of the main things is to tell donors about your organization.

• I have always believed that in fundraising there is always one person who gives and another who receives. But really clarified it makes a lot of sense.

My questions however, is on how to make donors that you are sincerely fundraising for a good community cause and not a money making venture for selfish use. Then what reasons should one have to start a non profit organization?

• I can see that the seven keys are very useful in fund raising. I noticed some surprises in the seven myth and that is the use of story .Another one is the issue of win-win where both will receive something. One will expect that the person that receives money only received but now that the funder will receive something , I think something like appreciation letter, visit among others. Please could you buttress what other things the funder can receive..Also. one would realize that receiving kind may be more valuable than the cash itself. When an non profit organization receive kind they will know that you are not particular about money which may erase the fear of embezzlement.Though there are some aspect where money will be needed.You don't need to know the rich people which was a lesson that I have learnt. I started with families and friends. Though , you may not get much but you can do something with whatever you might have gathered rather than waiting for the rich. Once one get started , the rich will work in because they want to know what you are capable of. Yes , listening to the donor because he who pays the pauper dictate the tune. From their conversation, you will know their area of interest. Better still make sure you have find-out about them before the meeting. The seven keys does not rule out statistics but not enough as a criteria. Furthermore, collaboration will actually improve the effort of fundraising where everybody will be on the lookout from different angle. The work of fundraising has somehow made easier with the use of network. Many people will get to know you and your activities without meeting you physically.

S
    1 Reply
    1. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible./listen to the donor's own story. This really surprised me. I spend so much time working to outline and communicate what the exchange is, what we are doing to better the world, and what they will get in exchange for their generosity... it really shifted my thinking to be like- oh right. Donors are humans too. PART of what they are getting is a relationship with me, belonging as a part of the cause, and that starts before a donation is made. Although, I have to say, the example about reading to a donor in the hospital and providing friendship is probably at the extreme end of this spectrum of activity..
  • Yea I like your description of more people being "on the lookout from different angle"- great way to think about this.

A
    1 Reply
  • I had long believed that numbers really matter to the fundraising campaigns but this module enlightened me that stories are far more effective than just numbers

• Not that surprised, but it's hard to imagine some single handedly raising fund without others assist, resource and commitment. However fund raising is one of the huge event that need individuals to succeed

• The myth about knowing rich people only to be able to fundraise effectively surprised me, because i always thought that was a limiting factor in my environment. This course has enlightened me

• True. I was thinking the same. i'am really grateful for this Module

• True. I was thinking the same. i'am really gratefull for this Module

• I always thought I needed some rich people in a camp to organize a fundraising but for now, I don't think so. Every one is a potential person and matters

• While I believe that facts and statistics are not everything, and that stories are important, I am wondering what a good or compelling story should look like! Any ideas on characteristics of these kinds of stories?

• I think numbers are important but the question here was how to get those numbers. From the donor network map, it looks relatively simpler that these donors start from your family, friends, coworkers and acquaintances, then their friends, coworkers and acquaintances besides those in any other groups you or others may be affiliated to. I personally thought you needed to contact the super human beings that are always loaded but may not even have relationship to you as long as they have the cash. From the map, there seems to be this connection even when it's distant connection you can find

• Exactly, Myth number 5 came as a shocker because I had always thought that you have to sell yourself and your organization to the donor, but the reverse is the case. lesson learnt

• Exactly, Myth number 5 came as a shocker because I had always thought that you have to sell yourself and your organization to the donor, but the reverse is the case. lesson learnt

@JuniorObonyo said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because I have always thought that statistics and facts are the only things that donors look for in proposal. One question I have about myth 4 is how is that telling less of your organization better ? .

• I was most surprised about myth 4, which I was not thinking of in this way. It is important to be conscious of a potential donors interests and sensitivites and not lead discussions always by providing information about ones own organization but finding out about them.

S
    1 Reply
  • I was most surprised about myth 2 cause I definitely thought of was a fact.

• Yeah same here

• I must confess that took me off-guard too,

• interesting I use to think that more explanations about our work with numbers to donors with new ideas lure them was a sure way for fundraising campaigns but this module enlightened me that stories are far more effective than just repeating our and numbers

L
    1 Reply
  • I had the same thought too

• Having had experience in fundraising, I was already familiar with the seven myths.

Over the years, I have heard and witnessed myth one and myth two debunked several times. However, my question is; why is it that many EDs and development teams appear to know that "fundraising isn't only about getting cash(myth one)" and "raising money isn't all about rich people(myth two)", yet their strategies revert to only increasing cash donations from "rich people"(ie major gift donors)?

• Actually all he said didn't just enlighten me but also opened my eyes to the wealth I have around me as family members, friends, acquaintances etc.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.