Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Much progress has been made in improving some aspects of quality of health care
    across the world, for example with regard to cancer survival rates and mortality from
    cardiovascular diseases. The symptom seen on the HIV patient is real because only two different kinds of morbidity and mortality in a large quantity.

• Depending on the community, cultural and social stratification, symptoms of HIV may have different impacts on different patience. But if we could identify the most common symptoms and treat it, it may boast clients confidence. But most at times advocacy could be helpful in the other to minimize the negative social impact of symptoms.

• Data analysis and interpretation is one of the key roles for M&E function and therefore requires the right technical expertise to conduct. The interpretation of results depends on the objectives of the analysis and the type of data analysed. Quite often we collect data from a few individuals/sample and generalize the interpretation to larger population, it is also important consider the unit of analysis and generalization in the interpretation of results.

• The initial discussion identifies the difficulty when comparing HIV/AIDS symptoms with social confidence.

The example above interpretes the relationship between visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS and social confidence as facial sore.

Despite the fact that malaria was also stated as a symptom but a clear and understandable relationship was not mentioned so as to justify the basis for the argument.

The absence from gatherings, business meetings and work place based on the weakness that comes with re occurring malaria sends an unusual signal to the public on a check on health status of the HIV/AIDS patient which brings them to noticing the facial sore. As simple as this might sound, it is what messes up with the mind of the patient whereby affecting the social confidence of the patient.

The use of makeup, nose mask, skin shields as well as use of prescribed medication at the specified time are ways to minimise the the facial sore from being noticed by people around especially when one is well treated from malaria which causes weakness to the bones and makes one bed ridden for concerned people's visit.

Thank you everyone.

• Explanation
    Translate orally
    Illuratuve representation
    Analyse
    Expound
    Elucidate
    Decipher
    Unfold
    Unravel

• Explain, translate orally, illustrative representation, analyse, expound, elucidate, decipher, unfold, unravel

• In most project categorizing information is the most time consuming step of any qualitative data analysis. there are two basic approaches to categorization
    1 Define your categories before analyzing
    2 Define your categories while analyzing

• Yes, what about Interpretation in Module 4, what's your question ?

• One could conclude that, for example, out of 10,000 HIV/AIDS patients interviewed, 80% of them account that visible symptoms such as facial sores, make them have low social confidence. Thus, treating these visible symptoms will make HIV/AIDS patients have confidence in the society they live in.

• Quantitative analysis is less complicated and straight foward however it requires good understanding of mathematics or statistics concepts. On the other hand qualitative might be complicated. It requires deep analysis and you can easily temptated to be bias. Overall is most exciting activity.

• Having learnt the importance of bias in the early stages of this course, I now realise that in qualitative analysis, it is very important. If you are inclined towards a certain participant or group of participants' responses because of your bias, it is very easy to make a very weak conclusion from your analysis. Being critical and thorough is one way and skill every data analyst should possess.

• What interested you or motivated you in participating?
    404202200446: I thought the referral would help improve my health. I had been to the hospital so many times and always thought it was malaria. The sores covering my face made people looking at me feel uncomfortable. Therefore, I thought this was a chance to change everything.

Have you noticed a change in you or your family’s health that you think is a result of participation in the referral system?
    404202200446: Yes my health has improved. I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me. Fewer HIV-related illness, and improved CD4 from 200 to 471.

• 1.Satisfaction: the client expresses satisfaction with the services they have received.
    2.Dissatisfaction: the client expresses dissatisfaction with the services they have received.
    3.Symptoms: the client discusses the symptoms of HIV/AIDS.
    4.Social confidence: the client discusses having (or lacking) social confidence.
    5.Knowledge: the client discusses something that they learned or did not know previously.
    Those are the most important things I learn in this module about analyzing qualitative data Analysis.
    Social shaming really exist in all HIV/AIDS patients, and about the first impression, at first i thought the interview was about a male patient until when i go deeper.

Interpretation is the most critical phase in qualitative data analysis.

• Exactly my point

• Absolutely true

• In summary, qualitative data analysis can be said to involve five steps: knowing the data, focusing the analysis, categorising the information, identifying patterns and interpretation.
    By following these steps, anyone reading our analysis would be able to easily understand why and how we arrived at our conclusions. This allows us to explain and defend our process.

• Get
    Focus
    Categorize
    Identify and
    Interpret

Get a Hang on this and qualitative data analysis is lit.

• a very interesting aspect of M&E, it is also the most critical

• When one is involved in qualitative analysis all the steps like get to know, focus, categorization, identification and interpretation must be done appropriately. The way the interpretation of the data collected can be done, has the power to mislead or to guide those who wants to use the analysed data accordingly. Interpretation can make a bad or good conclusion of what ever it has been researched.

• "Interpretation is a communication process, designed to reveal meanings and relationships of our cultural and natural heritage, through involvement with objects, artifacts, landscapes and sites."

• "Interpretation is a communication process, designed to reveal meanings and relationships of our cultural and natural heritage, through involvement with objects, artifacts, landscapes and sites."

• Unlike quantitative data, qualitative data is more difficult to analyze and make decisions. From the case study, it is evident that the categories under which the responses can be categorized into are varied and not so clear. Thus, qualitative analysis is less clear than quantitative.

• تحليل البيانات له خطوات تتبع كل خطوه والرد على الاسئله سيعلمك كيفيه المقابله

• interpratation is the reporting of the analysis.

• ata interpretation refers to the implementation of processes through which data is reviewed for the purpose of arriving at an informed conclusion.

• In my opinion, this quotation from the text best supports this interpretation:-
    "...The sores covering my face made people looking at me feel uncomfortable. Therefore, I thought this was a chance to change everything"
    "Yes. The drugs are helping me improve my health, therefore my confidence has improved"

• I agree with the improved findings that, HIV/AIDS symptoms causes patients to experience shame and treating the symptoms can give patients more social confidence, because from the text the respondent says ".....the sores covering my face made people looking at me feel uncomfortable therefore I thought this was a chance to change that".

• Yes I agree this is true. Proves the analysis findings.

• Hello everybody

• Interpretation in the Qualitative Data Analysis is neeeded to elaborate the look of subject matters observed in an interview.This comes after categorization and identity patterns of information.

• Qualitative analysis requires through understanding and carefully attention of patterns and categories in order to exhibit meaningful conclusion.

• Following all the steps of qualitative analysis is crucial for us to have the best results

• The 5 steps introduced by Taylor-Powell & Renner in 2003 about qualitative analysis empowers the researchers to be objective; hence, lessening the tendency of researcher's bias toward data interpretation.

• The 5 steps introduced by Taylor-Powell & Renner in 2003 about qualitative analysis empowers the researchers to be objective; hence, lessening the tendency of researcher's bias toward data interpretation.

• Decision making should always be driven by data

• Steps in quantitative data analysis
    1.Get to know the data
    Read, watch or listen to your data.
    2.Focus the analysis
    Approaches
    1.compare between responses
    2.Focus on a detailed analysis of a singe response
    Consider the goals of your project.
    For example we will focus on a single response the interview with health clinic client.

1. Categorize information

4.identify the patterns

5.Interpret your data

1 Reply
  • In collecting qualitative data, I should not rely on the first form of information or my first impression only, but I should re-read it slowly and focus on it greatly to reach the final result according to appropriate criteria.

• Two of the quotations from the text that best support this interpretation are: "I feel better because the sore in
    my face have disappeared'. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody
    looks at me; The drugs are helping me improve my health therefore my confidence has improved"

• Dora should not make any decision based on her intuition, rather she should analyze available data on the strength of each program,so as to make evidence base decision

• Les symptômes visibles du VIH/SIDA, tels que les plaies, provoquent chez certains patients une honte sociale. Le traitement de ces symptômes peut donner aux patients plus de confiance sociale. Ainsi le patient se sent.

• HIV/AIDS symptoms cause patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms gives patients more social confidence

• Interpretation of qualitatve data could give rise to biased outcome if not properly put in a very maeningful way and analysed in a way that can create confidence as well as protect the integrity of the data.

• In this module, the five step in analyzing qualitative data enable you to draw a strong analysis about specific data given the example, visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

• Looking forward to learning this new topic

• In this module, the five step in analyzing qualitative data enable you to draw a strong analysis about specific data given the example, visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

• here you need to interpret your data in a way that what are the big lessons you have learnt, what are the new things you have leant and those that others can learn.

• When dealing with qualitative data it is important to know what you want to get, focus on it, categorize information, identify patterns and interpret data. When interpreting data it is important to qualify findings and not make blanket statements since this may not be representative of all the feelings or attitudes of the subjects of your study. Conclusions should indicate that the findings pertain to some and not all because people react to similar conditions/situations differently.

• "I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me". - This patient response best support the interpretation.

• The interpretation should have an element of truth.

• Relative importance
    Do some categories of ideas occur more often than others?
    Having assigned categories to the different parts of your qualitative data, what patterns do you notice?
    In most projects, categorizing information is the most time-consuming step of any qualitative data analysis. But it also makes life easy if the information is catergorised according to different topics.

• In collecting qualitative data, I should not rely on the first form of information or my first impression only, but I should re-read it slowly and focus on it greatly to reach the final result according to appropriate criteria.

• learnt how to categorize data and interprate

• La façon de juger les onformations

• Is categorizing based on the objective of the question or the answer's meaning? What about if more questions have same objective? Who understood these in detail?

• Sometimes this kind of analysis is better to be reflected with percentage such as 80% of interviewed are satisfied from the health services. Moreover, this kind of data refer to knowledge, attitude, emotions more than to be statistical
    for example you cant use such analysis to determine the % of access improvement from this question
    What were the main reasons you did not access clinical services before referral?
    Are there are reasons why you were not coming to access clinical services?
    How did the referral help you to access health services the first time?

but such analysis can help you to interpret increase or decrease in figurer, proportion or percentage such as if the access indicator was 50% patients have access to the service the questions i mentioned can reflect the reasons behind the low achievement percentage of access improvement.

• Sometimes this kind of analysis is better to be reflected with percentage such as 80% of interviewed are satisfied from the health services. Moreover, this kind of data refer to knowledge, attitude, emotions more than to be statistical
    for example you cant use such analysis to determine the % of access improvement from this question
    What were the main reasons you did not access clinical services before referral?

but such analysis can help you to interpret increase or decrease in figurer, proportion or percentage such as if the access indicator was 50% patients have access to the service the questions i mentioned can reflect the reasons behind the low achievement percentage of access improvement.

• Which quotations from the text would best support this interpretation? : 404202200446: Yes. The drugs are helping me improve my health therefore my
    confidence has improved.

U
    1 Reply
  • Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

The quotation from the text that would best support the interpretation can be observed from the response from participant 404202200446. For example regarding the question about the significant change observed since she ever started the care and treatment services she answered, "Yes my health has improved. I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me."

• what do you do when you find there are no matching responses while categorizing data

• according to the example above, only visible, HIV/AIDS symptoms cause social shame in patients

• Categorization is the biggest challenge in qualitative data analysis. Interpretation of qualitative data should be as contextualized and specific as possible. Oversimplification and generalization would only lead to poor analysis.

• the tip here is understanding how you organize your data into clear category, will help into better pattern which will in turn help you identify the suitable pattern that the interview is trying to address through honest analysis

• I agree with Parpit idea

• social stigma brought by sign and symptom of HIV could really cause lead to low self esteem, treating such symptoms could boost their self-esteem back as well as healthy prolonged life.
    better articulate pattern is the best identification of the problem.

• social stigma brought by sign and symptom of HIV could really cause lead to low self esteem, treating such symptoms could boost their self-esteem back as well as healthy prolonged life.
    better articulate pattern is the best identification of the problem.

• This acts as the final stage of data in a project where data is interpreted to the funder, managers specifies areas learned and of interest to Donors.
    It also clearly shows facts/ideas that can be transferred to other organizations.
    Interpretation also identifies areas to improve incase of the next project.
    This also supports the decision making to the Donor and managers on how and which objectives that have been achieved well.
    Interpretation clearly shows the quality data achieved and presented to the Donor at different levels/period of time.

• It is very important to give a good interpretation to the data. be very specific and point it out clearly.
    when you under stan the data it I very important to make simple and precise interpretation.

for instance, in an interview of condom use and HIV in an HIV prevention program, we may find that there is a relation between condom use and the rate of new infections. however, it's very technical to say that using condoms is a guarantee to be prevented from having the HIV. however, a systematic use of condom and using it right could provide a good prevention.

• that's cool summery
    good to glance through to get all details on the project.

• always make a good interpretation of the data

• Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence. In the interviewee's words, "The sores covering my face made people looking at me feel uncomfortable...I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me."

• I agree that interpretation can easily be misled if not properly framed to capture all essential variables observed in the manuscript

• Data analysis needs serious work. I think for one develop good skill in this area, you need a lot of practice.

F
    1 Reply
  • Knowing what the stakeholders want to know from the project makes the work easier.

• Service providers(Clinicians) taking time to talk to HIV/AIDS patients and reminding them of the do's and don'ts makes them (Patients) feel supported. This supported by the statement in which the respondent stated that "Everytime we come to the facility the clinicians talk to us for some time to remind us not to take drugs when we have not eaten-----)

• I think, read, watch, or listen the data before we start is one of the important thing to get useful data. After we know about our data, we have to choose an approach for consider what the goals of our project are. After that, we have to organize and identify the patterns. The last, we can write the specific quotations or stories

F
    1 Reply
  • interpretation should capture the summary of the interview

• Interesting. Qualitative data requires so many techniques and deeper knowledge.

• Interesting. Qualitative data requires so many techniques and deeper knowledge.

• In interpreting data, one must be careful not to judge base on few analysis. The ethical principles of data management must always be put into consideration.

• Interpretation of qualitative data is a bit tough compared to quantitative data. The researcher shall be honest and try to avoid biases when reporting and interpreting the truth from participants interviews. It is good to support the analysis by including a direct quotation from interviews.

• In interpreting data, one must be careful not to judge base on few analysis. The ethical principles of data management must always be put into consideration.

• The client indicated that there was no change in the way community members treated her in the past. But this did not seem to bother her after, her health has improved she seemed to have gained confidence and carried on with life as normal.

• The patient symtoms (sores) were not associated with HIV/AIDS but malaria from the client's initial understanding, until a blood test was carried out to assertain the major cause of the sores.

I go with this quotation.
    "Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence"

• Remember the five steps to qualitative analysis

• Interpretation simply means putting together what you have learned.
    In interpretation, you draw in conclusions and lessons you have learned from the qualitative analysis.
    When writing lessons and conclusions put it in a way that can be understood by the stakeholders including specific quotations, stories to support the analysis.

• Focusing is key when conducting qualitative analysis

• Awareness programme, such as HIV testing, helps some Naive patients know their status and get Medical care.

• Interpreting qualitative data required more skills and may not very straight forward like quantitative interpretation. While pattern may emerge in the responses, it not a good practice to generalize the findings for all the participants.

• The patient, being tested either positive or negative no body in society will make a comment on that, but when a patient is seen with facial sores the situation becomes exacerbated in terms of stigma, reputation, publicly taken as an abnormal individual. so this is real that there is a great relationship between HIH/AIDS symptoms and social confidence because when living asymptomaticcaly_physical sings and symptoms the patient continues his or her functionality in the local community with no any stigma.
    thank you

• Based on identifying various data pattern, its easy to make conclusions that guides data interpretation. Data interpretation requires iterations so that one is able to make justifiable conclusions. Of the five process for qualitative data analysis, its the most time consuming. Its good to keep reviewing your analysis in ensuring you enrich it from time to time.

• It is very important to be sure and interpret the qualitative data collected correctly so that it would be honest.

• To me, interpretation refers to the process of elaborating on, reshaping, or otherwise demonstrating your own knowledge of anything. Drawing conclusions from the data gathered after an analytical or experimental investigation is known as interpretation. In actuality, it is an investigation into the deeper significance of study findings.

• data interpretation is designed to help people with limited statistical or programming skills quickly become productive in an increasingly digitized workplace.

A
    1 Reply
  • A carefully review of all the steps in qualitative data makes data interpretation easy and of a good quality results, as this is the last step if all the steps were conducted carefully with the intended purpose decisions that are made are likely to be effective for the project

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.