Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Good that you've talked of the health benefits of marijuana to the veterans but it will be so good also talking of the negative effects.

• Good that you've talked of the health benefits of marijuana to the veterans but it will be so good also talking of the negative effects.

K
    1 Reply
  • I totally agree with you coz advocacy just build a foundation on an approach to given problem which needs change or reaction

• Maybe just to mention but a few the negative effect like maybe hallucinations and addiction

V
    1 Reply
  • Thank you Silva really this course is so amazing

• Marijuana is classified as illegal drug and should not be allowed in the markets.

1 Reply
  • The problem I am solving is child marriage and teenage pregnancy in Uganda, many girls get married before age of 18 years, nearly 1 to 2 girls have married at the age of 13-16, 2/3 girls have had child before completing their studies at age of 12-15 years
    and 19-24 years takes the smallest percentage. Girls face multiple vulnerability. 2/10 girls are survivors of Gender based violence.
    However much as the challenge is there I have reach 10,000s of people and have changed over 10,000s lives of youth and young people in Uganda.
    1000s of girls have been rescued from marriage, over 300 child mothers or young mother have gone back to school at different levels of primary,secondary and tertiary, university after giving birth , rape and defilement cases were reported to police.
    Together with local authorities, NGOs,community, other CSOs, Government of Uganda, all key ststakeholders I have been able to achieve this. More especially the re- entry oaf child mothers back to school government program
    I continue to Empower girls and young women, the out of school girls and boys through vocational skill.
    On this note Advocacy remains a key.
    Thank you

R
    S
    2 Replies
  • The decriminalized of marijuana is an important problem that is worth looking at, even though legalizing marijuana at any county may lead to marijuana been abuse by citizens but at least for medical reasons and conditions it should be considered eg at all health centers that require it for the better treatment of their patients.

• I think that the key point here is to stay focused on the main agenda of helping people who could benefit from the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Although the government will use this as a means to make money. I think all means should be used to achieve this goal

• As time goes by, more research can be used to support the use of marijuana in treating PTSD. Also, picking a good time to bring this issue can lead to a more favourable response. His favour of the veteran population might indicate his sense of patriotism, and that being said, bring this issue up to him along with examples of the countries that have legalised marijuana (if you haven't done so already) and the favourable results from their veteran groups.

• Discrimination and marginalization has been a major challenge for the person with disabilities to overcome, they are seen as incompetent and unproductive by the society. persons with disabilities are excluded in societal engagements due to stigma surrounding disabilities The problem I am trying to solve is to advocate for the social inclusion of people with disabilities thereby mitigating the increase rate of discrimination and marginalization of people living with disabilities in the Gambia.. These I will be doing through advocacy and awareness raising as well as empowering people with disabilities with skills that they will use to confront prejudice and misconception. However, lobby with public and private sector for job placement and internship for already empowered Persons with disabilities for self independence and sustainability.

• Decriminalization of marijuana means to stop treating something as illegal or offence, however, Marijuana for many countries has been treated as illegal for those who are smoking or using it. As we know the role of advocacy is to persuade people to do a certain activities while they were not ready to do so. Again, bear in you mind that before coming with any activities you have to consider three factors such as timing, motivation and framing.
    Coming to our discussion whereby i would like to convince the United State Government to use Marijuana as one of the medication. First and fore most i have to wait when they do have really problems of curing cancer let say and they badly need a medicine for anti pain, that is exactly time i will convince them to use Marijuana as anti pain and they have to change the law against it.
    How you can do all this?, first of all i will meet stakeholders such as Doctors both private and Government and using my research which proves that Marijuana can be used as anti pain for those who are suffering from cancer and I'm sure most of the doctors will be on my side. Secondly, i will use extrinsic motivation where by i will give doctors some money in order to campaign for usage of marijiauana.
    Moreover, i will discuss with politicians who have power to influence the government to discuss with the president about the issues trying to give them motivation as i can in order to do what i want without forgetting that we will have discussion with parents about the marijuana how it will help our sick people and this is meant for hospital use only and not public use.
    Not only that but also, for the Frame i will use Responsible Public Policy Frame which state that, an action are cost effective ones because they will generate a better relief to the patient as well as government will use lesser budget for discovering other medicine. Also, how are we going to cure those people who are drug addicted for the marriajuana.We can start training and seminars of which those who participate fully will be paid and got certificates in turn we can use them to give seminar about drug abused. First and fore most, we will request them to stop using as normal things rather for medication purposes. By making them bussy with seminars i hope we will help the society and the sick people as well.

• This is a very effective example of framing.

• I really agree with your view on this. I saw a documentary on the "marijuana business" that has the US linked to it and had the same thought as you.

• I agree! Because of legalization on a state level, it has really confused opportunities for reliable data and inconsistencies in policies and laws from state to state have had similar impacts on data. I think this is some of the problems we have seen with the public understanding the real risks that are involved with increasing access to dangerous substances, certainly contributing to social norms and decreased perceptions of harm.

• The Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act, seeks to decriminalize Marijuana for a Schedule 1 classified substance and have it regulated as an product.
    The arguments against it are the addictive nature of the substances and the overt nefarious acts associated with it.
    However the opportunities with growing and trading Marijuana, the medicinal benefits of it, should serve as a reason why it should be decriminalized.
    This of course can be framed as Patriotic Policy Frame, wherein countries/states that have decriminalized it have earned more in taxation and revenue for its citizens compared to states that have not. This will serve as a new revenue stream which will lead to investments in other social areas for much needed intervention.
    Employment opportunities, medical grounds should serve as incentives for the policy makers.

• It's amazing!

• Thinking about the issue related to changing the military's policies around the legalization of marijuana, as many of you have suggested, centers around framing the issue within the framework of gathering the best available data on the benefits of the drug and on finding champions with clout who could possibly persuade military elites (decision-makers) to authorize and/or support such a policy change.

• The problem we have in the USA is that people don't like to stand up and make change in the world. We need to come together to make change. We need to make sure that we have a plan and we are taking that plan and doing something about it.

• It does seem like reframing would be good for this issue, to take the stigma away from this as a recreational drug, and place it squarely in the "therapy" lens for lawmakers. And to show that many people can benefit from this therapy. Maybe having prominent health officials on your side would help with this as well, to lend credibility to the source of the information.

• AT SOME POINT I HAVE NOTICE THIS ALL ACTIVITIES AVE POLITICAL SUPPORT JUST TO GAIN VOTE.

• It is a recurring problem in Africa where producers do not benefit from their harvest and struggle to make a living from their laborious work. The political framework being identified, an advocacy should be conducted with the Ministry of Agriculture and also the Ministry of Commerce to make the voice of these brave peasants heard.

• @gsmith0901 , you have indeed identified an issue with many viewpoints and stakeholders involved. As @SandyDeSilva pointed out, besides capturing the framing element of persuasion, you also appeal to motivation. If I may suggest, consider utilizing as an option the "Advocacy Coalition Framework" by bringing many of those stakeholders together. Besides your specific Representative, there are only six states left where marijuana is fully illegal. You can bring onboard Congress and Senate members from those 40+ states that have advanced the mariguana agenda. Support that with advocacy tactics like a grassroots movement composed of Veterans and their families. One thing for sure is that any advance in the legalization agenda has to be accompanied by the respective mitigation of substance harm and abuse.

• More of awareness and education is important on Marijuana's health benefit as mostly Marijuana is known not to be as mentioned above. I also believe proper research needs to be done to show the reality of it.

• This is an excellent TOC

• Consider your timing, framing and the type of behaviour you are working with. Also the advocacy parties you will be working with will help on deciding

• While marijuana could be used for medicinal purposes, care needs to be taken so that the legal availability may not lead to gross abuse; thus increasing crime rates.

• Need to improve policy window

• To me, stakeholder analyses is a key step before framing. Otherwise one might leave out the right target and end up framing a less priority one. But I stand to be corrected.

• Medical marijuana should be prohibited for general population, however, should be allowed for medical reasons.

• This is very good and something I am also doing. It is very important that a voice (we) comes out to speak for these children. Many of them go through all these rapes, defilements and have no one to report to or confide in. Advocacy is what's left so that the government assistance different people are able to know the best ways to protect and save these children.

S
    1 Reply
  • framing an issue is one of the most crucial and necessary aspect as it brings to light the important/pressing issues that needs to be addressed. the issues should be framed in such a manner that all the people affected by the issue are incorporated.

• yes, true that

• framing the issue is important and crucial since it will only convey what are the issues that the community faces.

• It’s obvious that you are applying the “merit good frame” by advocating for PTSD veterans, but this may be challenging since it’s not scientifically proven. The USA is already facing fentanyl abuse which is an imported Drug classified under DDA (Dangerous Drug Abuse) despite all strict measures. This makes it harder for all the states to agree on its legalization So, the question remains what measures will be taken against marijuana yet it’s a plant. Alternatively you may consider “power Politics theory” where the you need influential individuals to approve this The health board, politicians but with really facts at hand.

• I have to thank you for gaining some knowledge regarding this MORE Act, which de-criminalizes the marijuana and also provides one way of generating employment opportunities...

It's better for me to compare the same thing with my regional issues TASMAC (Tamil Nadu State Marketing Corporation Limited) company owned by the Government of Tamil Nadu, which has a monopoly over wholesale and retail vending of alcoholic beverages in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It controls the Indian Made Foreign Liquor trade in the state. The Reason which made the government to brought this up was - eliminating the adulteration in alcohols/ liquors and the consequences of consuming those adulteration. Even its also considered to be the greatest fund generation process for Tamil Nadu.

Before the State Lock down (From May 10, 2021 to May 24, 2021) it grossed more than 800+ crores within the span of two days. So its considered to be greatest manifestos but within certain limitations.

Likewise if Marijuana also not being remove from the Schedule 1 Drugs, more adulteration and illegal windows would be opened, its better for the government itself to take and provided with the limitations like Age Category, Medical Purposes, Authentication of Sales.

• The problem I am trying to solve is youth's underappreciation of the importance of history. Framing the issue, it is best to position such problem to the struggle of creating a common ground as [any nationality] and show how history is a source of a common ground where identity and national unity can be achieved.

• I want to advocate for a more regulated way of gambling in Ghana.
    The timing of this could be a bit dicey but anyone to help?

• Framing has to take into account the system of values of your interlocutor . In the United States, the frame of reference that you use in your advocacy efforts for instance in Congress has to take into account the values, interests and priorities of the member of Congress

• The issue of marijuana really need a good advocacy approach. As stated above, the motivation part is extrinsic as it is promising that once regalised it will bring money to the entire nation. At the same time the issue of fraiming has also been addressed focusing on merit good as the benifit of money realised from marijuana will help all citizens there by accomodating even the vurnerable people of the country. I am now interested in the medicine part, that if Marijuana indeed can be used as a raw material of some drugs, then a research must be made to assess if medicine from Marijuana can help to heal some of the diseases that are symptoms of COVID-19 because if it can be proved that the medicine helps in those diseases that are symptoms of COVID-19, surely this can be a better time to advocate for that hence achieving the right timing of advocacy.

• good and thoughtful

• Most of the times poverty plus unemployment among young elders usually toughens the living standards while girls end up in early Marriages. The government need to introduces more technical and vocational training centrs that youths will be trained in various grounds.

• I am not familiar with the MORE act. Thank you for the awareness. I like how the issues is clearly laid out and how there are clear examples, studies, and data to back up the plan of action to produce the change.

• The problem I am trying to solve is helping the MORE Act pass which would decriminalize marijuana in the United States at the federal level. Revenue generated from taxing marijuana would be allocated to several agencies including those employing social workers and clients with substance abuse needs.

I have recently reached out to my U.S. Representative and sent an email requesting he consider how medical marijuana could potentially help many veterans that are suffering from PTSD. With marijuana listed as a Schedule I drug which is considered as substances, or chemicals with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Until this changes, the appropriate approval for studies are difficult to get approved and many veterans cannot participate due to the current schedule classification. I looked at his history, he is tough on drugs but tends to favor the veteran population.

• I like how the issues is clearly planned out and this topic does need a good advocacy approach. I am not familiar with the MORE act. and the barriers this may cause on the taxing system. But I would as an advocate be prepared to do further research to assess and consider how medical marijuana could potentially help many veterans that are suffering from PTSD.

• The problem I am trying to solve is eradicating "extreme poverty". The audience whom I want to motivate are teenagers/adolescent girl's, which motivational styles or tactics should I use?

Y
    1 Reply
  • In my line of work, there have been many advances in diagnosing mental and emotional responses to Domestic Violence. PTSD has recently been diagnosed in Domestic/Sexual Violence victims. That being said, marijuana is one way to treat PTSD that has low to no adverse side affects. Yet, as advocates or victims service providers we are unable to allow drugs of any kind. All services that victims receive will be eliminated with proof of drug use. How does a victim that suffers from PTSD obtain services from the state and treat their PTSD with medical marijuana risking their services & benefits?

M
    1 Reply
  • I believe that the policy window when paired with framing and motivation would effect a great change to the sickening mental health knowledge and attitude of the population of Africa especially Nigeria.

• Last resarch shown promising eivdence for the importnace of marijuana or othewise CBD, in preventing and also reducing the effect of terminal diseasesthat we have no answer to, where decriminalize marijuana will allow furhter exploration by those that really suffer and have no means in place to overcome their pain.

• It sounds like the right cause to go for.

• In as much as you are posing for a solution, there needs to be some sort of regulation to control the use of marijuana because it may create havoc when freely accessible in the society.

• What i understand here is that there is an ACT which you would want to be passed and you believe that your Representative can play a role in this.
    I want to say that you have some good ground in following ways.

1. You have access to your representative and this means you can present your case and be able to persuade him/her to agree with you. And to achieve this you are showing the good that can come out of legalizing medical marijuana.
    2. I also see that you have a silver bullet in the fact that your representative is most likely to support a cause that benefits veterans. So please ensure that this comes out very clearly to him/her.
    3. Also the ability to show how this would come off as a win win when income from taxing medical marijuana will be ploughed back into supporting other initiative that benefit a wider population.

Now you need to be on point with your timing so that you bring up this matter at a time when your representative is most likely to respond in the affirmative. Maybe during a political campaign and at a point when the audience has some one who is either a veteran or suffering from PTSD.

• Looking at the request from two side of a coin. I will support the Act if there would be a control measures in place on how medical marijuana could potentially help many that are sufferings from PTSD at the federal level. Also will not support the Act if the negative impact out weigh the positive as mentioned in the request

Olawale Ajiboye
    Team Lead
    DCF.

• @SandyDeSilva said in Module 2 Discussion: Framing the Issue:

Your advocacy statement above captures two elements of persuasion very well: framing and motivation. Firstly, you appear to be using the "merit goods" frame, trying to protect vulnerable veterans suffering from PTSD who cannot have access to the medical use of marijuana while also working for the greater good by using taxed marijuana sales to filter money back to social workers and clients who have substance abuse needs. Secondly, you are appealing to the intrinsic motivation of your U.S. Representative who is sensitive to the needs of the veteran population even though he is tough on drugs. I would only add the timing factor of persuasion so that you can find the right policy window to advocate within.

Dr. Sandy De Silva, PsyD
    Executive Director of Family Centre
    Bermuda

Dear Dr. Sandy De Silva,

You are very right about your assertion on the motivation and framing that could help the advocacy for use of marijuana by veterans who are passing through PTSD. On timing factor, I would add that the celebration of Armed Forces could be a great policy window while the timing of the next Representatives election could also be a time to push for the policy.

Abayomi Oyelami,
    Content Creator,
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative,
    Nigeria

• Dear AS Willie,

Your advocacy for the 'reduction of extreme poverty' policy is a laudable policy. I suggest that you can look at the merit goods frame, in which case, you will make the policy makers see that addressing extreme poverty will eventually address social ills which might haunt everyone (including the policy makers themselves). It will be an intrinsic motivation for the policy makers for it to be noted that during their tenure, the issue of extreme poverty is addressed. On timing, electioneering period offers a good window of opportunity since the policy makers will often use the issue of poverty as a campaign promise.

You can push for the policy.

Abayomi Oyelami,
    Content Creator,
    Nigeria

• Dear AS Willie,

Your advocacy for the 'reduction of extreme poverty' policy is a laudable policy. I suggest that you can look at the merit goods frame, in which case, you will make the policy makers see that addressing extreme poverty will eventually address social ills which might haunt everyone (including the policy makers themselves). It will be an intrinsic motivation for the policy makers for it to be noted that during their tenure, the issue of extreme poverty is addressed. On timing, electioneering period offers a good window of opportunity since the policy makers will often use the issue of poverty as a campaign promise.

You can push for the policy.

Abayomi Oyelami,
    Content Creator,
    Nigeria

• The issue here is that of pricing policy which does not favour farmers who do the big job in agriculture. For this, I would advocate a 'market zone' policy where farmers are able to meet the big organizations which could reduce exploitative tendencies of middlemen. I would pursue this by showing intrinsic, positive motivation whereby policy makers will derive joy from addressing a longstanding problem in many local societies.

Abayomi Oyelami
    Content Creator,
    Nigeria

• @SimoneInnico said in Module 2 Discussion: Framing the Issue:

The general problem I am facing during my assignment in the humanitarian context of Greece has to do with the lack of political interest in taking a positive and resolutive stance towards the bettering of migrants reception condition. Even though my day to day work has to do with collecting evidence of arbitrary violence by the police against the migrant population, I do think that the two issues are deeply related as to what concerns their direct causes: more than anything I believe that the one main cause is due to the absence of a clear and severe disincentive (negative incentive) to be enforced by a higher authority---higher, that is, than the current Greek government that, if anything, is compliant with this illegal practice and inhumane reception conditions.
    So, the question is how to appeal to this "higher authority"? Let's assume that this role could be played by the EU, through one of its many agencies and policy enforcement bodies, and/or by an international Court of Justice.
    For what concerns the incentives, there could be both relatively intrinsic (if we were to frame a EU intervention in a discurse of "human rights defense") or extrinsic (accordingly, as regard the positive public image that EU leaders could be awarded, or the corresponding negative image cast on the Greek government, which can be an incentive for those who spouse the ideal of a stronger EU and weaker nation states).
    For what concerns the timing, unfortunately, the year 2019 saw both a new government taking power in Greece and the inauguration of a new European Commission, a new European Council presidency and a new European Parliament presidency, and this has not produce appreciable changes as to the condition of treatment of migrants in Greece. So, for what concerns "policy windows" I think the only thing is to wait for some minor lower level changes in the near future.
    Finally, for what concerns the framing of the policy change advocacy, 1. the responsible public policy framing would impy an appeal to EU leaders for the accountability and credibility of the European project as a whole, whose image is instead threaten by the lack of rule of law in which one of its member state lingers on; 2. the merit goods framing would suggest to stress on the unsustainability of the current situation as concerns costs and benefits, arguing that, for example, a more diffused and de-centralized model of migrant accomodation and some socio-economic integration projects would eventually benefit the Greek system as a whole (with a shrinking labour fource and an aging population); 3. the human rights framing, of course, would stress on the inadmissibility of the current situation according to any body of law and any common human sense; 4. the patriotic policy framing would imply a hint to the better performance showed by other countries, such as the virtuous model of migrants integration in Germany, or even other fellow Mediterranean countries like Italy, and to charge on the sense of the very sensible patriotic shame that is an historical weak spot for Greek identity politics.

Dear Simone Innico,
    I will first like to establish that the problem of huge migration into Greece is also been experienced by many other European countries. This, of course, can be traced to civil and socioeconomic instability, among other factors, in other countries.
    To advocate to the European Union Commission is a good idea but I would rather you advocate to the Greek Government itself using the patriotic policy frame. This is because other countries in the EU are facing similar challenges, so if Greece can handle it well, it will dispose favorably to the national pride of the country. A good policy window will be a period towards the next elections. This could, in fact, become a big campaign point that could make or mar the chances of some politicians towards the elections.

• Framing now makes to me., and I agree with you it's used when people especially politicians that use it to counter alternative views. They use the frames when it applies to their argument but not to really solve an issue. They will tell you even the USA is using such a system bse it satisfies their purpose but without any logic, and sometimes when and opponent refers to another foreign country then they will say that that is not for us. I find it dodgy many times and diversionary but I do understand it now as a tool of persuasion

• If in advocacy we should forget about the one speaking and focus on the recipient, where do do we need to use facts or its all about winning the argument? I often see politicians using some of these frames but without any logic to the situation.

M
    1 Reply
  • The problem that I am trying to solve is poor sanitation in Mombasa county slums in Kenya. Health is a basic right and the government has the primary duty to ensure access to clean water, proper drainage systems, and implementation of public health programs geared towards ensuring we have a healthy population.
    To bring to the fore these issues I will tap into the behavior of both the Cabinet Secretary for health and the residents. I will invite the CS to a forum held in one of the slums to talk to the residents on what the government is planning to do to address the teething problems in the slums.The CS will take the challenge because he needs to be seen to be concerned about the health issues slum dwellers grapple with. The incentive would be to give the CS the honor to launch newly constructed modern toilets. As an organisation we will use the forum to push for implementation of programs in the area,by the government, to improve sanitation in the slums.
    On the issue of timing it will certainly be strategic to have the forum in January,2022 when the national campaigns will be heating up and government officials will be more than ready to honor such invitations so as to make their political ambitions known and thus get political mileage.
    The framing will be messaged around both merit good frame and human rights frame. Merit good because there is need to take health services to the most needy slum dwellers and human rights frame because health is a human right as envisaged in both the Kenyan constitution and international instruments Kenya is party to.

• Framing the Issue,
    the outer environment does not realy support advocacy

• Framing the Issue,
    the outer environment does not realy support advocacy

• I THINK THAT IT WILL BE BETTER FOR THE POEPLE HEALTH.

• Solving malnutrition in sub-Saharan Africa has been a major challenge with it's lingering nature, more money has been pump into this via NGOs and Government, however the problem seems not to be reducing, more motivation needs to be done in advocating the tackling of this problem, more focus was given to providing food when these people have this food items and still suffer malnutrition because of lack of understanding on how to constitute a balanced meal. The timing of such advocacy should be around year end when new budgets are made and showing the government how other neighbouring nations are overcoming this menace

• Solving malnutrition in sub-Saharan Africa has been a major challenge with it's lingering nature, more money has been pump into this via NGOs and Government, however the problem seems not to be reducing, more motivation needs to be done in advocating the tackling of this problem, more focus was given to providing food when these people have this food items and still suffer malnutrition because of lack of understanding on how to constitute a balanced meal. The timing of such advocacy should be around year end when new budgets are made and showing the government how other neighbouring nations are overcoming this menace

E
    1 Reply
  • Very clear explanations.

• From what I have learned, the concept of framing is important and depending on how it is used, it can impact the actual problem we are advocating for or against. One example comes to my mind immediately on the concept of Re-entry policy in the Ministry of Education in Zambia. This is the policy that allows girls who fall pregnant to return to school after giving birth. One ca even continue to attend classes while pregnant and for those that feel stigmatized, the school allows them to transfer to another school.
    While my organization UNICEF supported the programme and its implementation, word went round that UNICEF was encouraging girls to get pregnant and continue with their education. Now taking this class, I realize that maybe the whole message could have been lost in framing.

Thank you.

A
    1 Reply
  • Great work that you are doing.
    first of all, in order to succeed with your MORE Act, you have to carefully choose a theory of change that works well with your organization and also feasible and can work efficiently and can easily be adopted by policy makers. The selection of your theory of change also depends on your available options and resources. You might consider tactical theories or global theories. Massaging and framework theory might work best for you because the first thing you would like to do is change peoples perception about marijuana. You can also engage with former veterans that have been helped by marijuana to share their testimonial and story.

• Firstly, someone said discrimination of marijuana is based on racism, this can't be true... Many kind of people, race of people use it, therefore we can't tie down discrimination of to racist.

Secondly, I will say that one of the areas to look at is how to archive a more positive scores than the negative scores of the use of marijuana. I think the reasons why policy are hard on its use was that the negative effects of it seems to be more than the positive effect of it. My point is until we can proof that he positive effects of it is far more than the negative, this challeng will still continue.

It boils down to other drugs that are misused.

Also, the true focus must be well established. When advocating for the usefulness of things like marijuana, one need to be careful not divert from the main purpose of advocacy, most especially, when people start asking for proof and even more, the intention of the spoke person. Some believe only those that make use of it negatively will advocate for it use which of course not necessarily to be true.

• Your framing approach is very great. Using the veterans affected by PTSD is a great entry point to cause action. I have now learnt that we can fail to find solutions to a problem if we use the wrong frame. Thanks for sharing.

• Most veterans suffer from negative effects of PSTD which could easily be offset by the healing properties of marijuana. It is important therefore that marijuana is removed from schedule 1 classification and the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use is decriminalized.

• marijuana is considered by many people as an effective herbal that cure people without having side effective as drugs and pills does. that is why relevant authorities should reconsider this issues, however, big pharmaceutical companies will not let this go as easy as others may wish.
    this is where advocacy comes in, and if the efforts goes well, then a huge impact will have been done!

• I think you should work more on the intrinsic motivation on the government but even at that, won't decriminalization not increase a significant increase of drug abusers even though your intentions are reasonable

• I think so too.
    Thank you for sharing ma

• Framing remains a critical component in advocacy as it incorporate several group, particularly those beneficiaries or targeted group of population. In some instances, i think many of the advocacy efforts should consider patriotic model especially if the strive is to create well and sound generation. In this case for instance, the well being of citizens should be taken in to account and sometimes it needs the advantage and disadvantage.

• You have made a very good point.

• Very Commendable.

• marijuana is an effective herbal, it need to be legalize. but pharmacuetical companies will not let this go easy without a fight. which makes the role of advocacy so important at this stage.

• Framing and timing are key! When there is an opportunity for an individual decision-maker (such as the governor) to make a point and get more votes, or to get media attention or a feel-good factor (the motivation) then the advocacy issue can be framed in the most appealing way to convince the governor to change their stance. In the example above, this would be by focusing on the success of the use of medical marijuana with veterans to manage PTSD etc. It crosses different frames - being the "right thing to do", and protecting "the vulnerable".

• It's fine,however be kin with framing and policy window I hope you'll make it

• Organization: MORE
    Problem: Many people struggling with PSTD

Cause: Cant access the right medication

Deeper Cause: Key ingredients such as Marijuana are forbidden by law due to wrongful use.

Using the Theory of Change:

Impact:
    I would like to see people get healed

Direct out Come:
    Accessing the right medication

Indirect Out Comes: A change in the Marijuana Act

Activities:

1. state clearly the changes needed in the Act
    2. provide empirical evidence of the numbers suffering
    3. Connect the numbers with their function and their possibility to heal
    4. Demographically show how much taxes and jobs would be created as a result

Consideration;

Motivation:
    Can be both Intrinsic by the desire to help out the war veterans and creating jobs, and Extrinsic in a sense of collecting taxes

Timing:
    can work better during political campaigns, presidential visits, and public holidays e.g. Heroes day in my country.

Framing:
    In my own personal view, this issue nearly touches all the four frames;

1. Can ride on the Responsible Public policy frame in a way that easing the dealing in Marijuana would allow collectable taxes from the drug to the national coffers.
    2. Merit Goods Frame: the veterans with PSTD are seen among the vulnerable
    3. Human rights frame: Its an inalienable right for everyone to access medication, by prohibiting a drug that is meant to treat a particular section of society would be infringing on their rights to life
    4. Patriotic Policy Frame: The disease in question mostly affects war veterans and these are a symbol of a country's might...seeing them deteriorate into despair and agony is betrayal.

However, i feel this issue would ride better on the "Responsible Public Policy" because;
    since politicians are the policy makers and these are always money hungry people to implement their policies and fulfil promises, earning more revenue would be motivation enough.
    Looking at the numbers, there might be more drug addicts than Veterans with PSTDs

i rest my case

Thank you all!

M
    1 Reply
  • My organization wants to solve the probelm of young rural girls in Morocco going to school. In the context of urban Moroccan areas, less girls go finish primary school in Rural Morocco.

W
    1 Reply
  • I agree with you.

• You just simplify

But i think its necessary to good deep about, because has a lot of gape where we will see its necessary to persuade another group

but well done.

• Betshy believes a better world is possible, and that we all have a part to play in making change happen. Through research, Betshy raises awareness about existing problems of the system. Betshy believes that there are specific steps that can be taken in order to reduce rates of sexual violence, such as understanding what makes sexual offenders tick in order to securely identify potential perpetrators before they offend. Betshy also wants to help decrease mental health stigma and mental health inequities.

• Your advocacy statement above captures two elements of persuasion very well: framing and motivation.

• Good work I think this problem is important for the society

• @Oyinlomo said in Module 2 Discussion: Framing the Issue:

I actually feel that Marijuana if properly harnessed is very much beneficial to the world health and economically wise. Health as the drug is seen to be good for managing ailments such as High blood pressure, Loss of memory, Chronic Pains, Depression etc

When smoked, it even brings about am improvement in Lung capacity, help weight loss, regulate and prevent Diabetes, fights cancer etc are only but a few of the potential of legitimizing it's use.

Economically because the Countries where this can be grown in large quantity stand to gain from it's exportation, taxation on Marijuana can be channeled into provision of Social Amenities or even into the health sector especially in African Countries where the Health Sector is nothing to right home about.

Growing and working Marijuana will surely reduce Unemployment all over the world as more people will go into it's farming and factories will spring up for its processing, pharmaceutical companies too will need more hands in their new factories built, the Export Sector will not be left behind in this boom.
    All the Government need is to put structures in place guiding the production and distribution of the Medication drugs made from the plant.

Thank you,
    Oyin Olugbemi

@SandyDeSilva said in Module 2 Discussion: Framing the Issue:

Your advocacy statement above captures two elements of persuasion very well: framing and motivation. Firstly, you appear to be using the "merit goods" frame, trying to protect vulnerable veterans suffering from PTSD who cannot have access to the medical use of marijuana while also working for the greater good by using taxed marijuana sales to filter money back to social workers and clients who have substance abuse needs. Secondly, you are appealing to the intrinsic motivation of your U.S. Representative who is sensitive to the needs of the veteran population even though he is tough on drugs. I would only add the timing factor of persuasion so that you can find the right policy window to advocate within.

Dr. Sandy De Silva, PsyD
    Bermuda

@SandyDeSilva said in Module 2 Discussion: Framing the Issue:

Dr. Sandy De Silva, PsyD
    Bermuda
    Totally agreed with you !!!

• Persuasion is founded in changing the beliefs/practices/context of understanding of others. Framing the issue often might be seen as more of a "standing on our soap box" or we are "preaching to the choir" approach. As many posts here have noted we should frame the issue based on understanding the point of view or understanding of those we seek to persuade - to increase our effectiveness in reaching others where they are at - not just simply flogging our message. When we flog our view, to use another cliche we limit our appeal and can turn others off before our message towards reflection and change is even heard - people simply tune out.

Framing is an art

• GENIAL THE COURSE

• GENSIL MODULE

• This is perfectly captured!!!

• good subjects

• Maybe learn more about the leader and find a veteran to help, plus a time frame when you think he can listen to you then present your facts.

• It is important that problem to be addressed is well articulated to fully capture key issues and strategies for intervention. It is important that monitoring and evaluation plans are put in place to track and assess progress made. However, the issue is that in situation where the sponsor of the program, for instance a politician, wants the project team to falsify their reports on program's impacts to achieve political gains, what should be done?

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.