Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• In fact this module is very deep in meaning, I have been making a lot of mistakes in fundraising.
    I have really learnt much .
    Myth 2 is a very shocking to me because I always thought fundraising is by knowing only rich people.

• I was also surprised by myth 4. I've always thought that giving a lot information about the organization was a key fact.

• Agree. Many NGOs don't even think about thanks because it's expensive but in long term is tha best.

• I am cleared now about fundraising. I used to think fundraising is for business people too in order to make money, this is a myth. Fundraising is about soliciting support to help disadvantaged people or to provide a solution to a particular problem existing or plan to exist without a personal gain

• Myth number three.... the statement one person gives and another receives - seemed correct to me until further into the study when I realize it is so much more than that...and surprisingly we had already disproved that in our own day to day operations.
    Every one of our donors receives a thank you for their gift along with a story about how their gift impacted the life of someone in need. It lets the donor know their gift was appreciated and important and how someone's life was changed...the reason they gave in the first place!

• For me, the myth that "You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible" caught my attention as I earlier assume that giving as much as possible narration about your WHY and WHAT in the pitch deck is essential.

• i am surprised by myth 1 and 2 because i initially thought that fundraising is all about mobilizing for resources that will help meet your cause but now when Tom tells us that is all about cash i remain surprised. for myth 2 i though when very many not rich and rich people give generously what they can, when put together can push meet your financial goal but when i hear that fundraising is all about knowing rich people i remain surprised.

• I have really learnt a lot from this module.Most of the questions I had about fundraising has been answered.

• I have really learnt a lot from this module.Most of the questions I had about fundraising has been answered.

• I also thought so until I took this course

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because before now I have the notion that fundraising is all about money(receiving only cash from donors) not until now that I have learnt about ''The 7 Myths of Fundraising'' that I know that though money is the most obvious form of support but fundraising could be in form of people donating their time, manufactured goods, food etc. which simply means donation in Kind. One question I have about myth 3 is that, how is it applicable to an NGO because my understanding is that an NGO is a charitable organization which only gives to the society but in this Module, we were taught that one person gives while the other receives in other words, it is a purchase and sale involving exercise. Please I need more light on this.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I assumed that you wanted to educate and try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible so that the donor has all the information needed to make the decision to donate to your organization. One question I have about myth 6 is how do you build a team so that there is not just one individual “superstar” fundraiser?

• I never knew, I thought only donor give but myth number three revealed to me that fundraising is a transaction in which each side gives something to the other, relationship is taking major role here.

• i am surprised by myth 1 and 2 because i initially thought that fundraising is all about mobilizing for resources that will help meet your cause but now when Tom tells us that is all about cash i remain surprised. for myth 2 i though when very many not rich and rich people give generously what they can, when put together can push meet your financial goal but when i hear that fundraising is all about knowing rich people i remain surprised.

• I found this module 1 is really helpful and I have learned a lot of myths that people are assuming about fundraising. I think the myth number 4 is a tricky and difficult one to practice because most of us will want to talk about ourselves, so it is easy to make a mistake when we don't let the donor or don't know the way to encourage them to talk about them. Instead, we often talk about what we have done or what good parts when donors donate. Therefore, I think myth number 4 is very important for me to keep in mind. While myth number 7 seems easy to take, but hard to inform as well because what I see in front of my eyes is that yes, internet has changed the way people do fundraising, but look more deeply the main core still remain. Thank you so much.

• Providing clarity around these 7 myths by Tom's enables one to embark on a fundraising exercise with greater confidence. The shared work-arounds greatly contribute to enlighten a simple process that would assist small organizations and other involved parties in securing support for community oriented projects, often ignored by "institutional" classic donors.

• I always thought fundrising was all about knowing rich people , this module has taught me otherwise.
    It can be started from family and friends.

• Knowing the projects is important, this way you will know that you support and get more involved in the project.

Y
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@dahernandez, you have made the right assertion. The importance of the project would always warrant the right attitude towards its execution.

• Course Facilitator

@dahernandez, you have made the right assertion. The importance of the project would always warrant the right attitude towards its execution.

• I was most surprised with myth five that when you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter. I am gland that the module enlightened me to include stories, mostly related to what the target donor does. I would also like to as why donation of "in kind" items is considered as "fund" raising.

• Myth 5 was a great lesson to me too. I think telling less of your organization is good to avoid diverting from the interests of the donor. It also gives you enough time to listen to donors and know how to finetune your fundraising documents and processes to match the donor's interests.

• I had a genuine belief that numbers and statistics are more reasonable and logic than telling storey, now I knew that is completely wrong

• I once believed that myth 2 was the only way of fundraising but through this course I have been able to learn and know that you don't have to know rich people to be an effective fundraiser.

• Fundraising is more than getting cash but can also be inform of donated items and in-kind gifts

• I was excited to read myth number 5. I've always known that numbers and statistics were important to show growth, but it also got me thinking "How often are those numbers and statistics updated?". In my mind, that aspect is important. Say, someone has been following and donating to your organization for two years. The first year they think "Those numbers are impressive" but the next year they see the numbers and they are exactly the same as the previous year, it may leave the donor questioning what how their donation is helping.

• Myth number three.... the statement one person gives and another receives - seemed correct to me until further into the study when I realize it is so much more than that...and surprisingly we had already disproved that in our own day to day operations.
    Every one of our donors receives a thank you for their gift along with a story about how their gift impacted the life of someone in need. It lets the donor know their gift was appreciated and important and how someone's life was changed...the reason they gave in the first place!

• Great insights here, i always thought fundraising was a one sided type of giving. I thought it was all about one person giving, and another person recieving but i have learned that every one is actually having something to give. The donor gives money, the organization gives them an opportunity to change lives and make the world a better place to be.

• To be honest i learned a lot about these 7 myths of fundraising as i have never tried to raise funds for an initiative. However, myth number 2 really caught my attention as i learn that not only the wealthier people should be a source of funding to an initiative.

• I was surprised about myth #4

• Responding to Marlene, I agree it was interesting to think that we don't have to tell a potential fundraiser everything about our organization, and in fact we would do well to listen a lot to a potential fundraiser. It makes sense, because we would do well to develop a working relationship with a fundraiser, and this requires that we are able to communicate with each other and develop a certain level of trust in each other.

• Hello,
    I was most surprised with the 4th myth as i really thought that talking about your project and giving all the necessary details to cover all basis was a good way to get the donor to buy into your project. After hearing what was said I come to agree that drawing the donor in through allowing him to tell his own story and you make connections with that donor as to how your project or program is linked or beneficial to him/her is quite brilliant.

• I also thought the same. This is my first time trying to set up a fundraiser and this fact caught my attention. I have to study my fundraiser model and analyzing into depth these concepts and adapt them to the cultural environment in which I am inserted. It is really interesting and a wonderful challenge!

• the thing that most surprised me is that fundraising does not only mean know rich people, but know the right people to ask for

• i learnt that what counts the most is finding a match with the donors

• That's true, I've always believed in giving a lot of details of what the organization do, but I've come to realize stories from the beneficiaries are more valuable

• I was most surprised to learn about myth 3. I understand that donation is to get money only.

• I agree with you.

• I was surprise to learn that you don't have to know rich people to be a successful fundraiser because fund raising is all about raising cash and other in kind donations. but now it is clear that one can raise fund even from those that are not known to him

• The myth number surprised me. I thought what matters most to donors was statistics and facts which I learnt are very important to companies. Moving real life stories courts empathy and inspires donors to assist your cause.

• Responding to Marlene, I agree it was interesting to think that we don't have to tell a potential fundraiser everything about our organization, and in fact we would do well to listen a lot to a potential fundraiser. It makes sense, because we would do well to develop a working relationship with a fundraiser, and this requires that we are able to communicate with each other and develop a certain level of trust in each other.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I think that it's important to to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible. One question I have about myth 4 is, how will the donor give their money to some organization without knowing every single detail about it or it's projects?
    Also, when applying for donations or submitting your proposals there many questions to be answered by the organization which will definitely require you to tell about your organization and projects.

• One of the myths that surprised me most was myth #4. Granted this is definitely a topic that is new to me, I always thought that your donors should have a detailed understanding of your organization/project. One question that I have grappled with is the influence of donors on what the organization is doing, because if these donors have an input on how their funds should possibly be allocated, does this mean that they would expect to know a lot of information about the organization?

A
    1 Reply
  • These myths demystify the whole fundraising efforts thereby giving prospective fundraisers an opportunity to target their respective funders as they pursue the course that will make the world better

• These myths demystify the whole fundraising efforts thereby giving prospective fundraisers an opportunity to target their respective funders as they pursue the course that will make the world better

• These myths are so real such that one must be mindful of them to realize desired results

• These myths are so real such that one must be mindful of them to realize desired results

• I wasn't familiar with these myths at all, so the whole explanation was really interesting, especially the parts about listening to your donors and thinking about what you and your organization can actually provide them with. I never really though about it this way.

• I totally agree! Though it's also quite easy to understand why donors might be interested in talking about themselves and their own interests, the trick is that of linking the info they give you to information about the organization, so that it becomes an exchange, rather than just an explanation of what the organization does and how.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I have really understood fundraising initial I thought is all about getting cash but myth one and all the other myths have really taught me more about fundraising.
    Thanks a lot for this course.

• I have really understood fundraising initial I thought is all about getting cash but myth one and all the other myths have really taught me more about fundraising.
    Thanks a lot for this course.

• i was most surprise to learn myth 6 was not true because a great fundraiser is not an individual superstar but, its all about the team work.

• I was so much caught off-guard by myths number one and two. These have now changed my perspective on how I consider and practice fundraising activities. Good niche achieved so far!!

• Myth 3 is eye-opening. Once one understands and integrates it, his perspective of fundraising changes to partnership.

• I learnt so many things from this course, I'm still fairly new to the the whole FR thing.
    The course gave me time to reflect on so many things, and I'm so moved by this and I can't wait to put it all together.
    The first myth was the one that shook me, I always assumed it was all about money. Definitely should change the name from Fundraising lol.
    Although I've heard about in-kind donations.
    Great lessons

• I was surprised at myth 4 and 5. Always thought that it's all about giving as much information about my organisation as possible, but the course reveals that this has to be looked at in a larger context putting interests of a donor in consideration. About myth 4, thought it's about giving facts/statistics, but stories sell the organisation better.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I was so wrong about fundraising because I believed in all of those myths that Tom was talking, so I get most surprised to learn that myth "You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible". My question is related to that myth, I would like to know what kind of information exactly I should give to all types of donors I have.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I used to think that fundraising via internet is very different with the usual fundraising. Knowing that fundraising via the internet holds many similarities to in person fundraising and the explanation on the complementarity of different team members in fundraising was awesome. I would say that I was aware of these myths but the explanation heard from the expert made very understandable to me

Y
    2 Replies
  • Before this course I was aware of most of these myths since I've had previous experience in fundraising, however, I was surprised by the clarification in myth 4. In the past i understood that its good to know your donors but they've also always wanted to know as much information about the organisation/campaign as possible. Now I see it is more important to know your donors than and direct the conversation onto them and their values/what they can do rather than just completing a "sales pitch" kind of thing.

• Never really thought of fundraising as a bilateral transaction or of the importance of stories. Thought-provoking!

Y
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Very well noted @Athanase. I hope you are enjoying the course.

• Course Facilitator

Well noted @Athanase, I hope you are enjoying the course.

• Course Facilitator
  • Course Facilitator

@ednasofiah, please for the sake of clarity, the myth suggest you that a conversation with a donor is an opportunity to rather ask and know about them and their thoughts. You should be prepared to lead the conversation to their areas of interest. Look and listen to what they say and to an extent possible follow up on what they say. “A more direct way of connecting with your audience is considering not what you want to say, but what your audience wants to hear”.
    I hope this helps.

• Course Facilitator

@vmusiimenta, your response indicates you good understanding of the subject matter.

• I believe myth#3 is the most common mistake that organizations have and which, unfortunately, might be one of the main reason it is difficult to retain donors on a longer term.

• I was really surprised that Myth 4 was untrue as I had thought. Realising that the donor has to talk significantly has revolutionised my thinking of me being the talker to impress the donor. I will practise being moderate with my explanations and listen more to the fundraiser so that I will know the areas of interest of the donor, and possibly some of his circle members who might be of help to my cause.

Y
    3 Replies
  • I always thought that money was the most important matter to the fundraising campaigns but I am learning hhere that are many more important things to do and help.

• I was very surprised to learn that myth 2 wasn't true because we generally don't even try with people with lower financial potential. I really thought until now that I needed to have a network of contacts of rich people to be able to increase my network of donors and I understood with this module that it is not true and that having a network of contacts that promote the organization is much more important.

A question I have about myth 2 is: How do I engage these potential donors since the culture of giving in Brazil still causes a lot of mistrust.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I was totally surprised to know myth 4 because before I believed that I should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible to fund.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I was surprised by myth number five, that its not facts and statistics that matter most, I have always tried so much and concentrated on facts and the statistics and not so much attention to beneficiary stories in my previous attempts to fundraise. Knowing that this was myth was a great insight.

• I was supprised to learn that stories are as crucial as statistics and facts when it come to fundraising.

Y
    1 Reply
  • We all seem to be having wrong notion about fundraise, but thanks goodness we are taking this course.

• Course Facilitator
  • Course Facilitator
  • Course Facilitator
  • Course Facilitator

@CauPereira, amidst the challenges there is always a way to go about doing things. My proposal is for you to concentrate on the people in your immediate circus (the family and friends). It would be easy for you to win other people onboard if the family and friends can attest to the credibility of your cause.

• Course Facilitator

@nikhilkrasn40, I am glad you know better as of now.

• Course Facilitator

@KIFARA_Benjamin2020, not only are stories as crucial as statistics and facts, but they can as well sell your cause more than the latter.

• #2. My org has received most of its funding from direct relationships with people with deep pockets. I don't have those connections, so I've felt a bit lacking. It's good to know that isn't the only way money can be raised and that you're not behind for not having formed those connections already.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I like the myth about the internet changing fundraising. On the one hand, many of the same principles apply. That said, the Internet does open up new opportunities and allows for a "reach" that may not have been possible before the internet existed.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I loved how Tom illustrated and it was eye opener.

• I loved how Tom illustrated and it was eye opener.

• I previously though fundraising was mostly about cash, but it is more about the connections made in the process rather than just the result, which may be something valuable other than money!

• I like the myth about the internet changing fundraising. On the one hand, many of the same principles apply. That said, the Internet does open up new opportunities and allows for a "reach" that may not have been possible before the internet existed.

• Course Facilitator

@MichelleB, I am glad you have come to realize that you aren't left behind in fundraising, because you have not yet established rich connections. You can begin with the ones very close to you.

• Course Facilitator

@paolodemaria62, thank you for summarizing the myth for us; you captured it right.

• Learning about the 7 myths of fundraising has been enlightening. For instance most i have spent good amount of time with potential donors trying to explain about the organization and its projects and less on trying to learn the interest of the donors. This module has just shown how my organization has ended up missing some of the support as a result of mismatched priorities.

• I truly agree with everyone here. I believed in all the seven myths that were mentioned by the instructor, but what stood out for me most is the myth that to be able to fundraise you need to know rich people.

I was so impressed by all of the myths, I now feel I can actually start being a good fundraiser, whilst before I couldn't believe so.

• I thought that only people who knew rich people could find donors.

• I agree with him

• I truly agree with everyone here. I believed in all the seven myths that were mentioned by the instructor, but what stood out for me most is the myth that to be able to fundraise you need to know rich people.

I was so impressed by all of the myths, I now feel I can actually start being a good fundraiser, whilst before I couldn't believe so.

• I was surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true. My question about myth 4 is how to steer the question towards donations when people mostly like to discuss their interest and not the actual organization.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I was most surprised to learn about myth 7, I didn’t know the influence that internet has in fundraising. I would really like to I would have been able to have gone deeper into the subject. Although the internet allows breaking down barriers, personally it has not been easy for me to find support for my projects from other countries.

Regarding that donors like to hear stories, I don’T like that they use the experiences of the people, their suffering and vulnerability to get money. Yes, I understand the part of sensitizing potential donors, but I sincerely believe that there are other ways to do it, such as inviting them to attend the site, to their homes, and to see with their own eyes the needs and conditions in which people live.

Y
    1 Reply
  • Learning about the 7 myths of fundraising was enlightening and educating. i have always look at traditional fundraising as a separate activity from crowd fundraising on the internet. The 7 myths has helped me learn that the two can be combined and is best combined with other strategies to achieve maximum results of fundraising.

• i came to realize than in fund raising both parties benefit and not one party.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I got surprised with the myth that says that the fundraiser also gives something back to the donnor. As I understood, it is more the value meaning of the fund, so that the donnor feels good about funding a particular cause. I ask f the recognition of the donnor could be also a "gift" from the fundraiser, for example in annual reports, and events.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I was surprised with the myth number 01 that fund raising is I was thought that Rising money is the only fund rising before attending this module .

Y
    1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.