Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Its a good way I think that realistic we can do

1. Hold small scale concerts/art events for upcoming local artists who could volunteer to expose/present their piece in this event and charge an affordable entry ticket. Minimise expenses by asking local vendors to contribute with food (increasing sales and visibility), engage volunteers/beneficiaries to assist with the running of the event in exchange of acquiring skills and experience. Choose a public location to minimise hiring costs (some councils allow the use of a dedicated space for free or a small fee). Or partner with an organisation that can host the event in exchange of visibility or a small percentage. Repeat this regularly could be monthly with a different theme.

2. It would allow the organisation to raise funds, allow volunteers and beneficiaries to gain something from the experience also just enjoying the event, allow the revaluation of art and upcoming cultures, big-up the local community also for opportunities of local tourism.

• Membership / ANnual Fund requests. And showing the DATA that makes our case.

F
    1 Reply
    1. Hold small scale concerts/art events for upcoming local artists who could volunteer to expose/present their piece in this event and charge an affordable entry ticket. Minimise expenses by asking local vendors to contribute with food (increasing sales and visibility), engage volunteers/beneficiaries to assist with the running of the event in exchange of acquiring skills and experience. Choose a public location to minimise hiring costs (some councils allow the use of a dedicated space for free or a small fee). Or partner with an organisation that can host the event in exchange of visibility or a small percentage. Repeat this regularly could be monthly with a different theme.

2. It would allow the organisation to raise funds, allow volunteers and beneficiaries to gain something from the experience also just enjoying the event, allow the revaluation of art and upcoming cultures, big-up the local community also for opportunities of local tourism.

@vincent1996maart said in Module 2 Discussion: Types of Support:

I could organize a bingo evening every year and ask 30$ income for the seat and use of the bingo and for the entertainment and I could set up separate billing for food and drinks. That way I will definitely have a higher net income than I'm giving, just like Tom suggested.
    On this charity evening people can donate in a box whatever they want to give and we disclose : '' for all activities that concern our organization such as helping raise money for finding better cancer treatments, preventing cancer by more accurate research and other activities that our organization concerns itself with.
    That way the money people put in the box will be an unrestricted gift.
    People will get the chance to fill out a form and register how much they gave. Obviously this will be verified. They get a receipt for taxes after they donated.

With the money I would invest in new infrastructure for my charity, put money aside for salaries as well as bills that have to be paid, put some money aside as a reserve for the organization for when cash flows are lower during the year, and the rest would be going to cancer research funding directly (program support).

A
    1 Reply
  • What strategy to use depends on what works in the local environment in which you operate.

In cote d'ivoire the funds from call for proposals made by foundations are the most common and only available restricted funds at the moment.

So one would need to create a downstream partnership with other local organisations and movements that can feed their own resources into our ngo while letting go of operational control and expenses since they will be handing it over to fund our organisations activity in exchange for visibility at events.

• To draw from your suggestions in my context it would be very important to recognize the role of volunteers in resource mobilisation for local ngos..and indeed the kind of volunteer experience that you create from your fundraising activities is important to its success.

• For our organization, we plan to organize a cultural day animated by young people from the northern Ivorian region. The funds collected will be used to carry out our library project for the education of young girls. To this end, we will ask the municipality to contribute to the success of the event by providing us with the large communal hall.
    To give more importance to these festivities, we will invite personalities who will automatically be the sponsors of our organization and who will receive their honorary membership card. This initiative could motivate these donors to accompany us during the various activities of our organization.

• To get more unrestricted funds, we have to scout for more individuals and entities whose primary focus is to change lives however way possible. With this, they may have a bigger goal of changing societal welfare but do not dictate specifics of how the donation should be used. Having more lifetime subscribers who believe in the general mission of the organization. People with large money interested in legacy funding would also be a good source of our organizational financing. Unrestricted funding reduces the amount of compliance and financial reporting requirements by the donor hence giving our organization a greater leverage to coordinate its financial allocations in ways that respond to its specific changing circumstances. The financial flexibility that comes with unrestricted funding allows for more pragmatic utilization of funds in line with organizational objectives and not restricted by funders.

• Your reply is too generalistic which leaves me wondering whether really the answer is based on some fuzzy general knowledge or specifics of module 1. There is a clear distinction between restricted and unrestricted funding. There are multiple ways that result in either of the fundings with a specific difference being the level of control that the funder has on their money. So can you be more specific in your response to benefit all of us?

• Your ideas are very relaitsics and spot on. various activities organized by the organization can help in soliciting funds which the contributors will not have specific expectations on how they are spent. However, the general burden will remain on the organization to ensure that the funds are used to deliver the set out results so that they preserve the reputation and appeal for more such fundraising activities.

• hay say halloooo

• We are currently looking into new types of fundraising events, always considering the current pandemic though. We do have our sport events in the calendar, but would like to add additional events in art/music or baking in order to attract not only the athletic ones. This way we could also get in touch with small businesses in our community, expand our reach through social media and hence find new ways of support. Businesses can sponsor and/or be part of the event directly. Individuals will share our event on social media, inviting their family and friends.

• I agree with you on having fundraising events. I guess one has to be careful on holding too many events and when they are though. In our case we have to look out for pay day.

• Through individual and donor support by not requesting money for a specific activity but inform them that the funds will be used to enhance various activities and also through organizing fundraising for the organization to achieve its mission.

G
    1 Reply
  • Increasing our monthly donors base. We'll have more unrestricted funds to cover operational cost that will increase our capacity.

• Yes we will also organize small scale fundraiser!

• Understand the components of a healthy individual-giving program

Understand the different sources or types of funding available

Consider how your organizational profile and your community/country’s fundraising practices should inform your funding sources

Understand the basics of a successful fundraising event as a source of unrestricted funding

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?

• Send unsolicited grant proposal.

• Request for in kind and support and donations.

2: How could this help build your organization’s capacity?

• It help saving cost on in kind donation we will originally pay for.

• On cost saving it will also help us use grant funding for programs and project alone by implementing without operational cost challenges.

• Yes we will also organize small scale fundraiser!

• OK that's a great idea

• Increasing our monthly donors base. We'll have more unrestricted funds to cover operational cost that will increase our capacity.

H
    1 Reply
  • Focusing on soliciting towards the end of the year when private donors have a clearer picture of the giving they'd like to do for tax deductions and perhaps aligning this with a high profile event to offer increased exposure. The funds raised could help support future outreach events and drive awareness for additional donors/ volunteers.

• Soliciting towards the end of the year when private donors and institutional funders have a clearer picture of the giving they'd like to do for tax deductions and perhaps aligning this with a high profile event to offer increased exposure. The funds raised could help support future outreach events and drive awareness for additional donors/ volunteers.

• The club is a member of a national organization. Appeal to other club's members for them to give small and ongoing gifts.
    With this extra unrestricted money more equipment could build on the capacity of the programs.

• How would you increase the number of donors?

• Complete each and every request with a clear magic phrase i.e. "...and other needs of the organization.”

T
    1 Reply
  • That is a good idea but care must be taken to ensure that the cost benefits enjoyed by members do not take a significant percentage of their subscriptions.

• To increase unrestricted funds in my organizations, I will collaborate with movie producers to screen films that promote the core values of our organization and the proceeds can be used to fund other needs of the organization.

L
    1 Reply
  • That is a good idea but care must be taken to ensure that the cost benefits enjoyed by members do not take a significant percentage of their subscriptions.

• one way is to seek small donations from many peoples on an ongoing basis since no much conditions will be given of how to use these funds. It will build the organization capacity since this small donations have a potential of growth and it will be ongoing

• Memberships that we havent already applied for

• Through project proposal
    Through social engagement services

• We are creating a “ Give Give “model of fundraising, that will provide donors with benefit, this will ensure tapping into new prospects who will give us unrestricted and ongoing donations

D
    C
    2 Replies
  • I think one way to increase our organizations unrestricted funds is for my organization to set up membership fee . The funds collected from members can be used for capacity development of the staff. Also my organization should not worry ourselves after grants that we cannot win.

J
    1 Reply
  • i agree to this as well

• giving memberships would be one of the wise choice to make

• Unrestricted funds is very helpful, we will definitely start to rise unrestricted funds, is very essential to keep the organisation running

• Unrestricted funds is very helpful, we will definitely start to rise unrestricted funds, is very essential to keep the organisation running, we will also do more fund raising events

• Unrestricted funds is very helpful, we will definitely start to rise unrestricted funds, is very essential to keep the organisation running, we will also do more fund raising events

• The organization can arrange for small creative events, camps and programs in order to increase the amount of unrestricted gifts. This would definitely help in building the organizational capacity because the money received can be spent in several different ways by the organization as they deem fit

P
    M
    2 Replies
  • Yes the idea and action plan you stating here, is very smart and proactive

• Yes the idea and action plan you stating here, is very smart and proactive

• We will humbly asking our current donors to increase their gifts with certain indicated amount. This will in turn help the organization having enough cash for operational of other programs rather than depend on the funds that are restricted to the specific programs, while other activities, programs are in need of thee organization.

• We will humbly asking our current donors to increase their gifts with certain indicated amount. This will in turn help the organization having enough cash for operational of other programs rather than depend on the funds that are restricted to the specific programs, while other activities, programs are in need of thee organization.

1 Reply
  • yes arranging for small events will definately increase the flow of unrestricted donors...nice one

• The best way to raise unrestricted funds would be giving the potential donor a wide view on the various aspects of the organization, highlighting the need to support the organizational system as a whole.

• This is a good, very pragmatic idea.

• One of the best way is to think that can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about the support on specific donation,

the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.

Organizing fundraising events and funds raised form

Fundraising events help to boast the my organization financial growth and help not to involve in the restricted funds that the foundation have.

N
    1 Reply
  • In order to increase the unrestricted funds for my organization we would increase more involvement in the community through more visibility and making our organization more accessible. For corporate we would approach them with a simplified resume to hold more events but also they will get the right to use our image

T
    1 Reply
  • Small, ongoing and unrestricted gifts are a basis for assured resources for implementation of our program, and would attract other gift from partners whose main focus is our impact and experience in the field.

• Small, ongoing and unrestricted gifts are a basis for assured resources for implementation of our program, and would attract other gift from partners whose main focus is our impact and experience in the field.

• 1-The increase in unrestricted donation amounts will be used to fund other programs, activities and needs of my organization
    2- The increase in the amount of unrestricted donations will make it possible to recruit more volunteers and ensure the operational costs of the organization

• I think you didn’t follow the question well. We asked which headings you can mention in your funding request proposal for an unrestricted donation. You spoke more about restricted funding

• I think we should partner

• One way of increasing my organization's amount of unrestricted gifts is by organizing a fundraising event.
    This could help build my organization's capacity by enhancing creative ways of reaching out to donors and the planning process is also another way identifying the available opportunities and training the members of the organization to effectively and efficiently take advantage of those opportunities.

D
    1 Reply
  • Since restrictions are loosening up on social gatherings, I think multiple small fundraising events in private homes of our volunteers or Board members, with invited friends and family of the host/hostess can help build the base for those unrestricted funds.
    Afternoon tea or after dinner dessert gatherings with the focus on fun, beneficiary stories and information about the organization would be how the event runs.

A
    1 Reply
  • Pitching my idea to my co workers in the office and asking them to donate small consistent amounts of money monthly. This would help the capacity building of my organization

1 Reply
  • the afternoon tea idea is great

• The one way of increasing NEYPAN's unrestricted support is by fund rising event
    unrestricted fund will build NEYPAM's capacity to maintain its staff and pay for its rent

A
    1 Reply
    1. Engaging more people in my network of acquaintances is a strategy that has potential in bringing in more financial support to the organization.
    2. By virtue of these resources helping in catering for other needs and activities, capacity is gradually built within the organization.
  • The one way of increasing NEYPAN's unrestricted support is by fund rising event
    unrestricted fund will build NEYPAM's capacity to maintain its staff and pay for its rent

1. One way to increase unrestricted gift is setting up a fundraising events through individual giving and small business can provide the support.

2. The gift is legal and will be used for anything. However, it is within our organization mission statement and the fund can be used for food, rent, travels, program, activities and even invest it in bank to get more value to our organization.

A
    1 Reply
  • Fund drawn from membership may help organization increase their donor pool either through letter, phone or via internet.

• There is likelihood that your coworkers might not believe in the organization, and as a result of that, they might not be given consistently every month.

• The current donors will not increase their giving except there is justification that their past giving has been fully utilized.

A
    1 Reply
  • One why that I think can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about their support to your organization base on specific donation, because you specify the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another why my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is my organizing fundraising events and funds raised form this evey will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.
    Fundraising events help to boast the my organization financial strength and help not to involve in the restricted funds that the foundation have.

• Unrestricted funds is one way to keep everything in the organization running

• Not just payment of staffs stafry. It can practical cater for anything and everything

• Sounds plausible to me. Fundraising events will help generate unrestricted funds.

M
    1 Reply
  • To be more active in the social media and provide different ways in which potential donors can make their contributions.

• I agreed with you. Fundraising events are important.

• The most challenging part is the budget because it must be very detailed and cover all requirements. One strategy that I will use in the future is to be more specific and avoid to much adjectives.

• In the organization I work ,I think a Fund raising Event can be much best than others to get Unrestricted Fund. This can be done by Inviting Individual people who works in government, NGOs, private sector (eg. Mining company, our client(Fuel ,transport ,food supplier and others) Food processing (Value addition )in medium and small scale industries through having a field visit to where people we work with have benefited and having a reflection meeting event an evening together Food after the Visit. As long as the organization always works with these stakeholders.

This event will firstly continue to strengthen the Relation ships between the organization and the stakeholders and Also be used to raise unrestricted Fund.

A
    J
    2 Replies
  • so what is your method/way you can use to get unrestricted Fund? we want to learn specifically on what is the practical way to solicitation of unrestricted Fund according to you?

• I categorize and give priority to unrestricted fund as an organization is willing to use in all of their activities which is best part of it as decision lies in the hand of organization and also it is organization's responsibility to use it efficiently in effective manner.

• I think I can solicit unrestricted funds from religious organization engaged who are engaged in charity work

• I think I can solicit unrestricted funds from religious organization engaged who are engaged in charity work

• We should try to receive unrestricted donations by looking into smaller donations, not just grants.
    We require unrestricted funds for salaries, administration, travel, etc...

• In order to increase our organization's amount of unrestricted gifts, we need to strengthen the foundation of our pyramid. As the Module theory states this "the healthiest individual giving programs are those that are supported by the bedrock of many small, unrestricted, ongoing gifts". These unrestricted gifts can thus be increased by working on boosting our monthly donations in both of our crowdfunding platforms (national and international). These donations are key as they tend to be small amounts, but a high amount of these small donations and even better, monthly, will help us strengthen our foundation, as thus in the long run work on increasing a few of these monthly donations to large annual gifts. But it is important to start with the basics, and that is small donations.

This could help build our organization's capacity because it provides the base that we need to rely on during difficult times. Moreover, when we work to increase a few of these small donations to large annual gifts, we are also working on our fundraising strategies, which can always continue to improve.

K
    1 Reply
  • These are some great ideas! I completely agree with implementing events. Personally, our NGO has not done one in over 10 Years, but I do think it is important to start that again, because as you state inviting individuals from various sectors could increase the probability of receiving much needed unrestricted funds! Also your point about strengthening relationships with stakeholders is by far the most crucial aspect of a great fundraising strategy, as it builds trust and provides transparency for not only the possible/future donor, but their network as well (family and friends).

• The one way I have learnt and which I think would be helpful in increasing my organisations amount of unrestricted gifts is organising and holding fundraising events. This would help marketing our training programs to many people and would be a good source of partnership with potential organisations.

• I agree with you, I seem to like fundraising events as well, the organisation needs to set its clear objectives and set a clear target and plan the event properly in good and realistic time. fundraising events bring in many people at once and if planned well you get the required funds in one go but you might further your networks.

• The way I think that should help my organization raising unrestricted gifts is to receive small amount of money from different businesses and ongoing grants. the two are going to support the organization activities on the short and longterm period.

W
    1 Reply
  • Planning a fundraising event in my community
    It will contribute to the fund base of the organization because it is targeted small, ongoing source of funds which is unrestricted

L
    1 Reply
  • well said the funds are unrestricted and can be used for other things other than the project

• Social media can be a great way to build a community that supports our cause

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    In my Country, Mexico, the best time to solicit funds to government agencies and big companies is in the 4th Quarter (October-December) because most companies have to spend all their money before the end of the fiscal year. This is an advantage and a way to get unrestricted funding.

Another way to get unrestricted funds would be through a partnership with a Sports Management company (that organizer all sorts of races, triathlons, ironman’s), and through an advertising campaign with sponsors, invite the participants to run for a cause. For each mile they run, the organization receives an amount not just from the organizers but also from athletes.

2: How could this help build your organization’s capacity?
    IT would give the organization the liberty to use its resources, and raise it’s own money. Also help plan and overcome any unplanned.

It would allow the organization to make itself known, with a strong impact.

• The one way to increase the unrestricted funds is creating donation for mission. If we do so we can use fund both in expanding our project which allign with our organization mission and also to built internal capacity building.

• I can increase the organization's amount of unrestricted gifts through the individual funding. This can help to build the organization's capacity as we can ask for increase in the funding amount over time.

• I like your idea of fundraising.

• I think this is good idea.

• this idea sounds great

• how are you planning to do that?

• I could increase unrestricted funding through getting as many individual donors as possible who would offer small but ongoing gifts which in turn would help in the operating of the programs that we run in our organization

1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.