Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• The examination of the environmental stances of both mainstream political parties and environmental social movements; and. The analysis of public policymaking and implementation affecting the environment, at multiple geo-political levels. mixed impact

• It would important to identify the context in which the advocacy work would be taling place so one could determine risks vs. benefits, which actions would benefit or hinder, and if even the project should be undertaken.

• Am very certain about advocacy because without one stood for others then it's hard to convince government.

• Listening to those actually experiencing the problem is the most important first step.

1 Reply
  • For sure restrictive government hinder the progress of advocates of NGO.because organisations ar not allowed to operate freely especially area ofpolitical advocate every time you want to have meetings you have to
    notify the police ,if they know your agenda of political advocacy sometime permit not given.

• in regards to advocacy and the political context, i think it's within one's capability to decide which context they can create through their influence at the respective places of operation

S
    D
    2 Replies
  • in our country we face the same problems when it comes to advocacy

• Hmmmm for some context it is absolutely true...

• Hmmmm for some context it is absolutely true...

• I will start with restrictive where I work as it was discussed earlier on restrictive does not have openness as open contexts. In restrictive you will be guided on certain rules of the organization although in this context the rule of law is not followed it will be overridden by very people who makes the law so it becomes very difficult for one perform his or her duties as you will be afraid of executing your duties properly because you will be labeled as you are tarnishing the image of the organization. Also you can not give your opinions on anything and things are done secretly. But it is a very boring environment to work because you can not express what is good for the citizens. The executive tells the Legislative and the Judiciary what to do so you can not come up with favorable judgments as you will be told what the outcome should be.

• I think restrictive context may be one better to stick to an organization vision. It cans help organization taking actions in a well-known funnel that can get them to constantly improve their idea in the field they are related to without getting out the area that are theirs. This would be a good way to improve sartness over broadness and that I think is a powerful weapon to correct and effective development. I wish the challenge will be to select the good decision maker and have a clear and smart vision that meet a specific problem.

• What comes to mind is the issue of FGM and the communities it is being practiced. In Kenya for instance where there are pockets of this problem, it is important to understand where the laws of the country stand on this subject and use that to initiate an effective advocacy campaign by bringing on board community leadership to drive an anti-FGM campaign.

• It is important for there to be transparency when it comes to the political context so that advocates know how to advocate effectively.

T
    1 Reply
  • In my country (Brazil), we have a semi-open context. At the same time that we consider the country as a democracy, we have some level of transparency and participation, we also face several problems in our political system, such as corruption and we deal with enormous violence coming from the government and public officials. In this scenario, the work of NGOs and even political groups faces great challenges.

• Agreed. As many countries around the world are becoming more closed, it is also important to keep in mind the risks of advocacy work for ourselves and our colleagues. How do you make that trade-off? What kinds of organizational policies should we have with respect to risk analysis?

P
    1 Reply
  • Understanding ones context of operation is very important why carrying out advocacy.

A
    1 Reply
  • Most of the country operate in a semi open environment in which people must think of their actions and the consequence before engaging in it.

• Political context is effecting everything in our daily life. It influences our culture, people's behaviors, and even what people think and express...these will all have impact on the decisions making.

• Great insights on the need to understand a problem before prescribing an advocacy solution. Comprehending the political context in which the advocacy strategy will be applied is critical. Lacking it maybe a recipe for failure.

• Restrictive context aptly describes the exact situation in Nigeria.
    Advocacy if carefully conducted will provide long lasting solution to the mightiest problems.

• Adding to my colleagues points I believe knowing your country political context is very crucial to your success as NGO. I support our instructors that most countries are residing in the semi-open context so as NGOs operating in these countries we could really learn from each other and enrich our experiences. There is not best-solution that fits everywhere, however, understanding the real need, sharing knowledge and exchanging experiences might lead to better communities.

• This is a great point. There is a huge difference between having a law or policy and actually enforcing the said law or policy. I wonder how much advocacy work is done to have new measures enacted versus having existing ones enforced.

• I agree. I believe, in the vast majority of cases, politicians would like to make things better for their people. Where that desire fits on their priority ladder is the real question. For some, it sits pretty high, for other it may fall below personal gain. The challenge, then, is how to move it higher up the ladder. How is improving the lives of others beneficial for them (the politician)?

T
    1 Reply
  • Now most political leaders are self-centered leaders whose agendas are based on their families and friends, so these such leaders need to be dealt with in through massive awareness and creating of young advocates who are full of visions towards the betterment of their generation in order flourish and influence and advance the political arenas. Now the question is, how can we as the most vulnerable communities deal with such visionless leaders?

• If any of here then kindly check my assignment

• If any of here then kindly check my assignment

• Kindly help me to complete the course If any of here then kindly check my assignment

• I totally agree that every advocacy project requires the prior understanding of its projected location's political contexts. Does the people there accept usually accept new ideas or are they open enough for the world? Is it democractic or authoritarian? What are the laws? Only understanding those political contexts can produce smoother approaches for successful advocacy.

N
    1 Reply
  • Policy changes hardly ever happens overnight and is often linked to broader change in the political environment. Effective advocacy requires long-term as well as short-term thinking, an understanding of the points of conflict and the means to gain power, the readiness to form alliances, and the flexibility to seize windows of opportunity.

• What a way to begin the module. It is true context is of essence and in trying to solve a problem, the problem should in itself be clearly outlined and the strategies to mitigate them comprehensive. Your target audience should in effect feel the impact.

• We should have a way to measure the quality of approach to an advocacy and not the quantity such as money or other inputs but the outcome. Thanks for the insight

B
    2 Replies
  • in as much as the context we are working in is important, i also think it is important we take context-variability into account. the context in most nations is always changing

• Context is the pivot of any advocacy campaign. However, a factor must be highly considered. An advocacy group must ensure it adequate educates the members of the public in order not to be seen as an enemy of progress in the society. I think one of the tentacles of context that must be considered is audience characteristics and disposition. Thanks for this insight.

• I agree, stakeholders along with employees, and people inside the organization should be able to deal with change. Sometimes the stakeholders dont know what need to be changed in an organization, while those getting the support and help do. In order to see where everyone is at, there should be a survey to determine where the minds meet, then go from there.

• The political context in uganda is semi-open with all the laws in place but NGOs have to operate with extra care.

• Everything highlighted in this module is very important. Take the case of working on a advocacy campaign, its very important to know the strategies to use and the possible risk that can be encountered

• Political environment is very important. Where I am in the US, our neighborhood has changed from a conservative political strong arm type of leadership to a more open liberal leadership. Those who fight the change are afraid. Afraid of any changes will destroy what they know about their neighborhood but the change is needed as our community has changed due to the political upheaval that had led to the loss of work and social programs

E
    1 Reply
  • Everything highlighted in this module is very important. Take the case of working on a advocacy campaign, its very important to know the strategies to use and the possible risk that can be encountered

S
    1 Reply
  • I really learned a lot from this module, but the difference between open and Semi open is still not clear to me, because many NGOs don't work on Achieving all there Goals but rather take side with the Government.

E
    1 Reply
  • I so much agree with you because the more you understand your political environment, the more strategic you will be in tackling the problem at hand

• I am lucky enough to live in an open context (Australia), however there are signs over the last few years that we are heading more towards a semi-open environment, especially regarding indigenous (first nations) rights, media freedom and transparency of some government decisions. It seems crucial that NGOs adapt their approaches rapidly to the changing context of their work - what worked open year or under one government may not have the same outcomes under a newly elected government and the organization can quickly sidelined. Maintaining relevance and presence across different political groups and anticipating how they respond to you if they come to power is important.

P
    1 Reply
  • Many countries are becoming more restricted, even the semi opened ones and this phenomena is placing advocacy works at risk

• While criticism is appreciated in an open context,it acceptable to a degree in semi open context

• When you understand the political environment of your country, you are a step closer to achieving your goals as an advocate

• This module is a very crucial one in defining the problem you're trying to solve. In most semi-open country in which most are described as a democratic setting with some level of transparency and expression but characterized by a great deal of corruption and violence act by powerful and governmental forces thereby rendering the NGOs unable to do anything because most are always perverted .

1 Reply
  • The identification of problems and strategic way of solving the problem in Political context develops and helps improve the Advocacy plan of the NGO s

• Even in countries where there is an open context, media and news can impact the community and local/regional governing persons supporting the cause. Advocacy often includes getting good media exposure about the problem, and gathering support for the solutions.

• In my country is restrictive. It hardly to come out with open mind to solve problem facing especially if our politicians is benefit under the discomfort of masses

• Very correct. Knowing the type of context one is dealing with really helps in Asvocacy

• Yes, the political context really matters. I have seen NGOs where the CEO's passports has been confiscated because of airing citizen views on particular public issues. Most of the NGOs actually operate in semi- open and restrictive contexts.
    Izel Kipruto

G
    1 Reply
  • Yes, a very good understanding of the problems places one on a good pedestal to set out an advocacy guideline

• Very correct. Knowing the type of context one is dealing with really helps in Advocacy

• Most political policies in West Africa tend to be semi or totally restrictive. The public opinion seem to be there alive and available but then the consequences for using these platforms are endangering, which set the non governmental organization and even some government officials at grassroot to be at risk of penalty which atimes cost lives

• Yes transparency is the answer to political context, because it will help the NGOs to be able to operate freely and also it help them to freely expressed their minds without being afraid that the government will harm them.

• I agree that context matters particularly the operating environment as described. It took a while before I can finalize my answer on the survey moving from open to semi-open because there are characteristics described that are present in my context while there are others that are starting to be questionable. The operating environment also determines how the problem can be addressed.

• Very correct ! It's of importance to know one's political context so as to know the right approach to advocate our problems .

O
    1 Reply
  • Indeed, contextualizing advocacy is vital as the approach that an NGO must use is something that must address effectively the stakeholders it wants to help. Understanding a problem must always have an organic component because only through this way that inclusivity and effectivity can be achieved.

• Context matters the most when we talk of advocacy. We have to look inward to search and find what type of context fits a situation, organization or body of people before creating solutions for advocacy.

• Doing advocacy needs to know very well the political context and all determinants of the context. work is very difficult when data are not available

• The important place to start is not by saying we need an advocacy strategy, but rather by defining the problem you're trying to solve.

• The important place to start is not by saying we need an advocacy strategy, but rather by defining the problem you're trying to solve.

• It is important and helpful to identify what the problem really is, do the causality analysis to identify the immediate and root causes. Understanding the political context of target environment, organization, state or country is very key in effectively planning an advocacy to address an identified problem.

• advocacy is a good thing but when advocating for example working in an NGO that works towards a sober society,its not easy since you will have to engage the political leaders for the laws to be implemented where some have shares in the brewing company and this makes or slows the laws to be implemented i.e no bars near schools and selling for persons under 18

N
    1 Reply
  • Context is certainly very important in determining an advocacy approach that should be used. However, this context should not only be limited national political point of view. Even in local communities, context matters a lot. Some of the restrictions discussed earlier could be cultural, religious or even local traditional rules and taboos. All these are very relevant. This course is eye opening even at this introductory stage.

• Awesome. I couldn't agree more with the reflections from others. I must say a preliminary step towards achieving the goal of effective advocacy is defining the political scope an advocacy plan or initiative will be confronted with.

• Advocacy in some instances can be very challenging especially when pushing for the rights of the marginalized, when government officials feel threated they tend to go for the key personnel in the NGOs r can even target the NGO

• It is very important to feel and understand the political context within your planned advocacy reach or environment. The people you wish to cause a change for should be willing to work with you. This will happen when they have a good understanding of your goal and when you get them involved so that to fully participate. You should also choose your audience and understand what interest them, their political will, the kind of message and framing of the message that will gain their attention as well as the right timing.

• In my country, I consider we have a combination of semi-open and restrictive depending on the context. Where the context directly relates to the govt, it is somewhat restrictive, but other areas relating to gender equality , the environment advocacy can be semi-open. I guess this course with help navigate the fine between both

• Before one embarks on the advocacy work, it is critical to understand whichever context one is working from. Just because a certain approach is working elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean it work in your context. For example, I come from a semi-open context therefore I will have to understand the repercussions that are involved in my advocacy and how I can go through the challenges without being hindered by the government's semi-open policies.

• What to advocate for, how to advocate have to begin by evaluating the environment that persons operate to guage the effectiveness of any strategy employed.In some instances the problems may be the same in different locations but how to approach solutions and pursue advocacy will be determined by the unique environment that an organization operates. The strategy of advocacy to achieve solutions will heavily rely on the openness or restrictive nature of the political environment since advocacy should never be employed in a way that leave the community worse off. Reprisals due to advocacy activities or tactics must not have been foreseen all along unless it is a last resort.

• @Tejaswy said in Module 1 Discussion: Advocacy and the Political Context:

It is important to contextualize advocacy approaches and that requires analysing the root causes of the problem we are trying to solve which can be done by being inclusive and understanding the problems by someone who is facing them directly.

It's very important for us to know and understand the political context in which we find ourselves as advocates to help us navigate through with our work of influencing policy formulation for the poor.Each policitical party that is in the seat of power has its own focus

• I agree that understanding the political environment is vital to determining how best to attack an issue and craft the right advocacy approach to reach the ultimate goal .

• It is very important to take into consideration the political context of the area you are working when doing advocacy work.

• This would help one to know the kind of Advocacy strategy to use inorder not to get in scrambled with the political government.

• It is very important to take into consideration the political context of the area you are working when doing advocacy work.

• i agree with your idea,its wise to do analysis and evaluate what can work for them having in mind the type of governance in their country .Most of the countries use the semi - open context and therefore the the type of approach taken should ensure the safety of its people.

• we must accept the challenges and risks taken with our advocacy approaches,it depends with the governance,they promise a lot but deliver a little,we strategies on how to do advocacy but those with self interst pull us down

W
    1 Reply
  • I strongly agree with this.

• I strongly agree with this. Understanding the root cause of the problem and as well involving those directly affected will help find a suitable approach to solving the problem through advocacy.

• Political environment is extremely important to take into consideration. there are many different political stances that are trying to achieve the same end results. The difference is some are going to the xtreme in order to achieve and speak their word which is negating the result because no one is hearing the words but are focusing on the actions.

• For the start, it seemed hard to understand but now am getting it

K
    1 Reply
  • This is where the employees follow the rules as they are in the organization and they follow them without changing anything.
    Here the employees works according to the order from the employer.
    Communication was always from the top to bottom and that is top to bottom approach.
    Semi open context: here the both employees and employer communicate can come either from any.
    Open political context: democracy is being applied always.

• All the stakeholders so be involved when an action is being taken

• Yeah through the module you get to understand better about advocacy

• Most of the countries are mostly on the semi open political environment

• In as much advocacy is a powerful tool for changing beliefs and behaviours, it can also be risky if not careful enough with the implementation. Just because something works somewhere, may not mean it can work in your context.

• There is a huge difference between having a law or policy and actually enforcing the said law or policy

• Understanding political environment is so important

• Agree, and it's important to know when to approach.

• The importance of advocacy in a contextualize approach is understanding the root of the problem and also the ramifications of the agency you may work for. it is also key to understand that what may work for one population may not work for the next. there are time where we can not just use a one size fit all mindset

• Absolutely the truth about introducing new policy through training, however when the time comes to actually put these new policies in practice I find some agencies very reluctant to do so.

• Driving an advocacy in a non-democratic state is very risky and evidence-based approach and strategy is really the basic of the plan. We cannot say anything that lacks of proof although it is at public knowledge.

• The political environment is not the factor that influence the activity of the NGO but there may other factors including social and cultural norms that may be aprt part of the problem.

• The political environment is not the factor that influence the activity of the NGO but there may other factors including social and cultural norms that may be aprt part of the problem.

• Of course you need to understand the context of the environment in which you find yourself. This is key to self preservation. Understanding it helps you to develop the right strategy that suit your environment.

B
    1 Reply
  • Thanks. this is an excellent experience. mapping the political landscape is one of keys to move forward with advocacy strategic and effective implementations. Some countries have tabled restrictive laws that fence NGOs and others CSOs to focus merely on service delivery leaving advocacy piece to the government. Some are semi open allowing NGOs to involve in some advocacy issues. on the other hand, the CSOs also do have own limitation to properly exploit the open environment either due to capacity issue or lack of solidarity among themselves. thank you again.

• speaking from a uk perspective and the advocacy I voluntarily have been doing for four years with regards to homelessness.
    I personally was homeless and came to see the injustices of those with mental health issues either from birth or through traumatic incidents usually in childhood.
    This can then lead on to drug/alcohol dependence and then spirals onto anti social behaviour and crime. I believe the ultimate lack of of social care in the children and adult systems, parenting and lack of family and community spirit has a lot to be answered for, destroyed by lack of finance and forward thinking by various governments which has effected councils provision of resources and brought the outcomes we have inherited today, record numbers of homeless, suicides, child poverty and deaths.

• I believe it would actually be easier to operate in one of the two extremes: open, or restricted, rather than semi-open which often gives a false sense of progress.

D
    1 Reply
  • I'm finding that a lot of NGOs are very restrictive. With funding and grant guidelines these days, its hard to be completely open. "You can do this, you cant do that." That leaves larger restrictive NGOs with all the funding and a very hidden, narrow way of thinking that strangles any chance at competing against these powerful NGO's who take in all the money and have limited transparency to what they really advocate. There's a form of crony type corporatism and excessive spending in many NGOs today. Even the "good ones" are doing it. Being "open" sometimes feels like voting 3rd party. Your integrity is there but you never win. haaa

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.