Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Creating unrealistic target atimes lead to dissapointment to the all team including the donor it is good to be realistic so that the targets can be achieved on well

• In setting new targets we are meant to be optimistic and at the same time realistic. Both goes simultaneously.

• Unrealistic Target
    Are the target which is not achievable and its led the project progress poor toward success.
    For Example:
    an organization set target that ( in 2021 the list of participant in training will be 20000 person) but the organization already developed indicator for this target as well but there is not resources to conduct the training because of high velum of human, this called unrealistic target.

• setting targets is one of the hardest things to do, because you will have to factor all your risks and assumptions into consideration and how will this targets be achieved putting in mind the risk and assumptions

• First of all, it is important to understand that a Monitoring and Evaluation project plan should have a target. That target states the level that the project is expected to hit. In so doing, setting unrealistic targets is a blow to the plan because it shifts the team's expectations and as well not work in line with the indicators that lead the plan.
    Therefore, setting unrealistic targets lead to the fall of the plan and thus making every team member and the funders disappointed.

• It is very easy to fall into the trap of being over ambitious especially when doing a first project.

• When you set unrealistic targets, you might fail several times, because these goals are not easily achievable. Therefore, after a long period of setting unrealistic targets, you will eradicate your fear of failure, because you will be familiar with failure.

• targets can be tricky. without the proper data collection, we will find ourselves putting unrealistic targets. example if an area has 5000 children, and the project is about vaccination, our target cannot be 5000 children vaccinated. we should collect data about children that were vaccinated or other NGOs that are doing the same project or did in the past.

• A target is unrealistic when the target is something that requires more energy, skills, talents, and time than you have available in order to achieve it. Another unrealistic target may be one that is not in alignment with your own greatest gifts and talents.

• Creating unrealistic targets within the organization come along with some series of challenges. For instance, it creates an environment where the team constantly attempt to achieve the impossible, thus fostering an undue amount of pressure. People are stretched too thin, creating the potential for burnout. Stress has been normalized in our society, when in fact it is not a necessary ingredient for success. , it can have the opposite effect.

• The targets need to be realistic/achievable for the project to be successful

• For Target to be achieved in a specific date/time, that Target should be realistic one, so as attained the designed goals of a given project.

• What is the most unrealistic target have you seen in a logframe? I think I haven't seen any unrealistic target so I can't come up with an example.

• This module is great for especially the ones who are new to identifying targets

• Unrealistic targets means Missed delivery dates – Setting unrealistic expectations means that it's increasingly unlikely that your team will be able to achieve them.

• Les objectifs peuvent être irréalistes s'ils n'ont pas été fixés à partir de données récoltées en amont. La réalisation d'un état des lieux de la situation permet de fixer une direction et des objectifs à atteindre. Les objectifs peuvent également être irréalistes s'ils ne sont pas suffisamment précis pour permettre de mesurer leur réalisation effective. De plus, les objectifs doivent être cohérents avec les moyens dont on dispose pour les atteindre.

• Uncertainty circumstance is common everywhere. It is also noted that due to resource scarcity disequilibrium in any situation is inevitable. Therefore, whatever project we involve in we should be prepared for any uncertainty be it in form of time, money and space.

• Etudier une nouvelle langue sans effort
    aller sur la planète Mars en 15 jours

• Unrealistic targets will not wear the team out but might make team loose further donor support.

• The goal must be achievable, that is, it must be achievable by the team or the creator of the project. This will prevent dropouts. You can determine what you think is achievable from your previous experiences with similar projects.

• The best way to make a project succeed is to ensure that the objectives it aims to achieve are clearly defined and easy to understand. S.M.A.R.T objectives refer to a certain number of criteria.

• I realized that to make a good target I have to ask myself if it is direct, practical, realisable.

• Unrealistic targets are the ones that are set without basis or any data to back them up. In most cases they can either be too ambitious and unrealistic or too low.

• I think your target can best be determined by the data from the baseline. And so you cannot set an unknown figure as your target before conducting a baseline study

• Unrealistic targets are targets that are not achievable. Setting unrealistic targets may cause the project members to be frustrated and also lead to disappointment for team members, donors, or other stakeholders. It is therefore necessary to set realistic but ambitious target that will motivate team members.

• I suppose we need to be ready to adjust our targets accordingly as our project progresses in order to accommodate unforeseen circumstances.

*Please share your thoughts with an example when you were required to make such an adjustment on one your projects.

• I wish to know more about un realistic targets

• I agree with you

• It is important to conduct research in the development phase of the project, so we can set a realistic target and beneficiaries. The unrealistic targets may put the project implementation and results in jeopardy.

• It is very important to set the realistic target. During the development of the project we must conduct a thorough analyze in order to understand the needs and set the realistic target. We must set measurable activities in order to reach the realistic target and implement the project sucesfully.

• It is very important to set the realistic target. During the development of the project we must conduct a thorough analyze in order to understand the needs and set the realistic target. We must set measurable activities in order to reach the realistic target and implement the project sucesfully.

• If the project team sets unrealistic targets it will make the project results in jeopardy.

• Unrealistic targets will lead to frustration among project team members and cause the project not be realised
    once they fail to realise the targets. Furthermore, because unrealistic
    targets may cause the project to lag behind schedule, funding from donors may be affected.
    Our targets should also be realistic so it could motivate team members to reach.
    Targets include quantity, quality and efficiency. We should have final targets as well as small targets
    while we are implementing the project. But we have to think and prepare for unexpected things
    that can be effect to our targets, if so may be we can adjust our targets.

• targets that the resources available cannot achieve

• Unrealistic targets are those that can't be met or achieved with the available resources,this then makes it difficult to achieve desired goals

• In short unrealistic targets are targets that are over or under stated. There are two main disadvantages of unrealistic targets, namely:

1. Donors and partners may lost investment interest when under stated 2. Co-workers, participants, donors, partners and even yourself will feel disappointed because of underachievement if the target is set very high. However, it is a good thing to make your target ambitious but realistic and achievable!
  • In most cases I strongly believe that project designers project unrealistic target because they lack sufficient supporting documents or information about what has been done or what has not been done about the change they want to effect.

• Unrealistic Targets are dangerous to project implementation because it can lead to unachieved planned impact. Resources can also be wasted to targets which can not yield any results. It is important for project planners to research before coming up with project targets, such as looking at the past achievement, what other project achieved with the similar indicators and also history trends for projects. Therefore there is need to avoid at all cost targets that will not be achieved.

• Oftentimes, one might be tempted to set unrealistic targets for several reasons; it may be a project you are too emotional about, you may be trying to impress your donors etc. The rule of thumb is, however, to set targets based on data. This data can be gotten from several sources.

• Was great learning about targets

• [italicised text](![link url](image url))***
  • Targets tell your donor how much work you are planning on doing. Unrealistic targets can disappoint the you, your team and the donors. Targets can be reviewed if one realizes that they had set unrealistic targets before .The M & E expert together with the team can come up with new targets. To avoid setting unrealistic targets one may consider the use baselines, historical trends and other sources of information like expert opinion, research findings or previous projects, stakeholder expectations and project budget.

• Having 1000 safe blood from all the blood donors by 2021

• Unrealistic targets are those that are not possible to meet. This maybe due to various factors such as resources and time etc. we may set targets too high or if we are feeling pessimistic, we may set our targets too low. There fore To set targets like an M&E expert, we will need to use data, not feelings, to set targets.

• Hello, I would like to ask for your help. I am preparing the indicators for my project but I am in doubt of how to fill the table from the Assignment. I would love to have your help.

• Unrealistic targets can derail the implementation of a project particularly when the targets are neither ambitious nor realistic. To avoid setting unrealistic targets, projects should consider setting final targets first, being flexible incase there will be need for target adjustments and also be specific on what indicators they want to measure.

• Unrealistic targets may lead to poor quality output by your team, missed deadlines or increased cost of operations. This may in turn lead to poor morale for the project team and possibly even increased turnover of project staff. It is therefore advisable to really set realistic targets in collaboration with project staff.

• Alvos irrealista serão aquelas mulheres cujo estão na idade avançada

• Target must be optimistic.

• I think in targeting we might also consider institutional capacity, environmental and political concerns in addition to the available resources.

• Unrealistic targets can be avoided by use of data. During the design of a project, baseline data can be collected and analyzed and determine the targets of a project.

D
    1 Reply
  • Conducting a feasibility test can also be helpful in setting realistic targets. One gets to know what resources they have in place so it's quite easy to identify what's doable or not.

1 Reply
  • Unrealistic targets are those which are set without any base. Target should be based on the baseline data or former research or historical trend or other source of information like expert opinion, stakeholder needs/opinion, which gives the evidence and benchmark for setting the targets. Along with this realistic target are also determined based on project budget. Those targets that do not consider above points are unrealistic.

• Target are commitment to attain certain results, so it is important to set appropriate and realistic targets. Setting unrealistic target or very ambiguous target make it difficult to keep focus the team members. It is also very important to take in consideration the money and human labor you have in hand before setting any target. you cannot have a limited staff member in hand an you set a target that require a lot work. it is important to note that failing to attain a target can demotivate the entire team and even make the sponsor disappointed with the work done. So to avoid setting unrealistic target it is important to do some preliminary study from past studies or project to be to hypothesis ambiguous but realistic targets.

• These are targets that can not be objectively proven based on either historical trends or baseline data

• Setting unrealistic goals or unrealistic target is a common cause of project failure. You will never succeed in measuring objectively your indicators. As a result, the stakeholders (beneficiaries, communities, donors) will be dissatisfied. So , when planning, we must take the time to set smart indicators, realistic targets in order to avoid frustration, deception, hurt of organization reputation.

A
    1 Reply
  • Unrealistic targets is when you are baised and using your assumptions. Real targets you use baseline data, do some research. If there is no baseline you start from zero. Also historical trends are so useful to predict the target.

• A balance should be reached between setting an ambitious target and the reality on the ground. Taking account all the information that the real 'world'of my project offers is key. The information that i should take into account are the resources available, the literature review (what other similiar projects were able to achieve), what experts in the field or area of interest have to say etc.
    An ambitious yet realistic target is a good motivator to the projects' participants

• Unrealistic targets can be avoided by researching on other similar projects and collecting existing data from sites of development organizations and government organizations

1 Reply
    • realistic target is one that can be met with the resources you have available to you. Resources might include time, money or access to other people to help you. The target should also be relevant and useful to you. For example:

Unrealistic: I'm going to read 30 books on astronomy by tomorrow

Realistic: I'm going to read 1 book on astronomy by tomorrow

Making your targets realistic will ensure that you set goals that you have a chance of meeting and will help you work out what resources you'll need to meet your targets.

• If you say that someone is being unrealistic, you mean that they do not recognize the truth about a situation, especially about the difficulties involved in something they want to achieve.

• it is unrealistic to assume a 100% achievement in any given project

• Unrealistic target are the target that was not plan inline of indicators.

• Unrealistic goals can best be described as the goals you’ve set, yet they are almost impossible to achieve. While setting goals is important, you should set goals that are ambitious, yet attainable.

Unrealistic goals can affect your employees both in the short term and in the long term.

• That is great
    " Back to lessons learned from previous projects"

• Feasibility testing helps eliminate some unrealistic goals as well historical trends and the knowledge of baseline

• I think sometimes we all give ourselves unrealistic targets and sometimes when we really stretch the narrative changes and we realise some unrealistic targets can become realistic.

• Targets that are above your budget and Funding Capacity can be unrealistic

• I think it is important to consider data from opinions, Organization report or any data before establishing target's level

• Targets can be influenced by a variety of factors. I believe to realistically set an achievable target one has to set the bar a little higher from the baseline then increase accordingly during the course of the project.

• The unrealistic targets means that we set the numbers and percentage that is impossible as targets and it is the highest ambitions at the project

• These are targets that are not achievable either due to poor data collection or poor planning and could lead to a number problems if not failure of the project.

• unrealistic targets might be an obstacle for the project team whenever the project budget cant is not enough for the targets to be met.

• Targets must be realistic in order to accurately analyse the attainment of outcomes and impact of the project.

• Unrealistic targets are basically targets set whose achieving is impractical under normal circumstances. Such kinds of targets are usually not supported by data and they are set either when one is extremely optimistic or extremely pessimistic. in other words, the targets are not real.

• Unrealistic target is not optimistic. target should be realistic.

• I have problem with Defining tools in the log frame work.

L
    1 Reply
  • are we allowed to change our target halfway through, because we only realized that our target was unrealistic after starting our project

• Unrealistic targets are targets that are unattainable. For example: if your impact is decreasing the rates of teenage pregnancy, it would be impossible to state your target as : by the end of the year there will be no teenage pregnancy in the country. This is an example of a very unrealistic target because not all teenager fall pregnant as a result of consensual sex but some are raped and as a result fall pregnant

• What is the best thing to do in case the donors set highly optimistic targets with limited funds?

• And sometimes with all this information some unprecedented occurrences may force you to change your targets. With this in mind it's good to factor some funds for those kinds of changes.

• Data Collector is a person that will be responsible for data collection.
    Data entry and data collate is a person that will enter the data to the data base.

• Unrealistic targets

“It was decided, however, that he could still work, but not with such unrealistic targets,” Mackie continues. “The employer agreed to reduce his workload by getting another employee to share it, but this never happened, and the worker had a second breakdown. He then sued for damages, claiming the company was in breach of its duty of care, and he won.”

Since the European Union has finally outlawed workplace bullying and urged employers across Europe to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to it – and since the latest harassment legislation in the UK looks as though it will cover workplace bullying – there may be even more legislative avenues for claimants in the future.

Even if the setting of unattainable targets does not result in a claim, it is still likely to have a cost for the business, says Mackie. “Bullying costs employers more than £2bn per year in sick pay, staff turnover and lower productivity.”

Mackie insists that she’s not saying managers necessarily set higher targets deliberately. “In fact, I think the pressure often has a spiralling effect, in that they too are set harsh targets,” she explains.

She also believes the setting of unreasonable targets is on the rise. “There have been no specific studies on the issue, but research does tell us that long-hours cultures and higher workloads are more prevalent.”

• Unrealistic targets

“It was decided, however, that he could still work, but not with such unrealistic targets,” Mackie continues. “The employer agreed to reduce his workload by getting another employee to share it, but this never happened, and the worker had a second breakdown. He then sued for damages, claiming the company was in breach of its duty of care, and he won.”

Since the European Union has finally outlawed workplace bullying and urged employers across Europe to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to it – and since the latest harassment legislation in the UK looks as though it will cover workplace bullying – there may be even more legislative avenues for claimants in the future.

Even if the setting of unattainable targets does not result in a claim, it is still likely to have a cost for the business, says Mackie. “Bullying costs employers more than £2bn per year in sick pay, staff turnover and lower productivity.”

Mackie insists that she’s not saying managers necessarily set higher targets deliberately. “In fact, I think the pressure often has a spiralling effect, in that they too are set harsh targets,” she explains.

She also believes the setting of unreasonable targets is on the rise. “There have been no specific studies on the issue, but research does tell us that long-hours cultures and higher workloads are more prevalent.”

• These are targets that are too ambitious and difficult to achieve in a particular setting, due to reasons such as funds, time or resources.

• A goal is unrealistic when the goal is something that requires more energy, skills, talents, and time than you have available in order to achieve it. ... Another unrealistic goal may be one that is not in alignment with your own greatest gifts and talents

• I think our risks and assessment has a lot of role to play with setting out target ,what do you think ?

• Unrealistic targets are in achievable. This is brought about by over-ambitiousness considering factors like:

1. Limited time, resources and expertise.
    2. Poor review of historical trends.
    3. Lack of insights from experts.
    4. Changing or unpredictable events or seasons
  • The final stage or the intermediate stage of our indicators are called as the target and similarly the status of the indicators at the project inception is termed as the baseline. Although, it is clear that target have to be ambitus to motivate the stakeholders including team and have to realistic to ensure the targets could be achieved in the current contexts, the tools and tricks for designing targets are not so strong as in earlier cases like designing the logframe (esp. project summary, assumptions and risks). Are there any other tools to ensure that we had a balanced target and indicators.

Thank you.

• Unrealistic targets are often set as a result of improper or inaccurate information in setting targets or just over excitability or a poor mood. When all information and data is used to create a goal, if there is a happening that makes the targets become unrealistic, targets can be adjusted.

In creating data collection tools one has to bear in mind the kind of data that is required, as the methods for collecting qualitative and quantitative data varies and one also has to take into consideration the resources that needed to gather the data. Resources like the level of training of people needed to use the tools and the cost of collecting the data.

• previous project implementation can help when setting targets

• Targets are important in every project. Establishing the right target is a tedious task. If the target was too ambitious or pessimistic, then reaching whatever target set in those circumstances could also mean failure.

• Targets are important in every project. Establishing the right target is a tedious task. If the target was too ambitious or pessimistic, then reaching whatever target set in those circumstances could also mean failure.

• we are running up and down to reach the target before the date line of the given date as we leave with only one month for the end of the projects.

• targets should be achievable and be realistic compared to absurd target that are beyond the organization's capabilities.

C
    1 Reply
  • Unrealistic targets

• Are these targets majors or minor?

• are these targets major ones?

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.