Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Do No Harm: Very important step to prevent organizations from cause unintended harm to those they meant to help. I can provide one example: We make sure to redact identifying information about beneficiaries of one of the programs I manage. This is done by program staff, before sharing information received from the field to donors.

• I believe that one of the principles is to be confident. In that way, I cannot share the data related to certain individuals or groups.

• I think that being anonymous and confidential is on the one side, on the other side the end users of the data's we collect can actually be the cause of harm, so how can we stop this.

• Yes, the data suggesting that people belonging to a low status group have committed crimes could be used by political opponents to further increase biases and damage their reputations. Though this data might be factual, it is important to consider how it could be perceived by others. Individuals from all groups commit crimes, but the crimes committed by select members of a low-status group might be specifically and unjustly attributed to their group status. Thus, considerations about how the data you collect could be used to perpetuate biases are very important because this data could have implications beyond your initial intent.

• Ethical principles are leaning on three essential principles of ethical behavior within M&E which are, do no harm, honesty and lastly competence. We have so far discussed 'do no harm' where we said in the process of collecting data one should avoid intentionally or unintentionally causing physical, emotional or reputational damage to other people who are part of your work. To ensure that your work does not cause harm, one should consider the experience of their participants. One should also ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect information needed and in the use of it. there should also be a consideration that when appropriate, participant data be kept anonymous and confidential. one should identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• It's a process of avoiding any containment of the sensitive information to be shared with people that have not properly understood.

• The key learnings is that:

1. Consider the participants' experience in data collection to avoid making it stressful or time-consuming.
    2. Obtain informed consent from participants, especially in sensitive research areas or with vulnerable populations.
    3. Safeguard participant data by ensuring anonymity and confidentiality to protect their reputation and safety.
    4. Be mindful of how data can exacerbate existing inequities and potential harm to individuals or groups.
    5. Anticipate how released data can be used by others, including political opponents, to avoid further damage.
  • Even if you are extremely careful about collecting and presenting accurate data without any prejudice, there is no guarantee that the people who read about your data will be so careful

• We have to be very careful when disclosing identify of beneficiaries even to donors to and have a consent when interviewing and taking pictures/video of beneficiaries.

• "Do No Harm" is a concept I encountered a little over a year ago when our new senior leader stepped in. To me the concept is rather a question and compass if we are still doing what we intend to deliver? Are we putting our project participants in an alleviated status or worse than when we first came in? It is a question whether we are fundamentally changing the identity of the affected population? "Do No Harm" is a good reminder that even with the best intention in mind, we are still capable of fostering dangers and damages to our communities.

• It is important to treat data as confidential. The data collectors should not disclose the people who are answering the questioners (if your survey is in questioners). It is wise to not include name, surname and address to avid harm.

• It is very important to keep/treat data as confidential at all times.

• As discussed, the above 4 points are agreeable. However, I would suggest data verification with participants is also important. Sometimes, you may have different languages and some essential information can be lost during an interview or translation. That would be good to wrap up the meeting and verify your data or information with participants whether they are accurate or missing some information. Then, consent can be obtained from the participants.

• I love this course, it reflects very important points of ME, thank you!

• There are four main principals to consider when following the ethical principal of "do no harm". First, one must consider the participants experience when designing their data collection tools. It is important that data collection is a comfortable experience for the one being surveyed. Secondly, you must ensure that there is informed consent by all participants. It is important that participants know their data is being collected, and how their data will be used in the future. Third, it is important to ensure that all participant data is anonymous where it is applicable. Some data collected can be extremely sensitive, and it is important to respect the privacy of the participant. Finally, it is important to consider how your data can be used by others to support their own beliefs, and if the data presented could be used in some way to harm others. Each of these principals is important, however I believe that many people do not consider the last category. It is difficult to know how others may use your data to disparage others, and collectors should be very cautious and thoughtful in this area.

• There are four main principals to consider when following the ethical principal of "do no harm". First, one must consider the participants experience when designing their data collection tools. It is important that data collection is a comfortable experience for the one being surveyed. Secondly, you must ensure that there is informed consent by all participants. It is important that participants know their data is being collected, and how their data will be used in the future. Third, it is important to ensure that all participant data is anonymous where it is applicable. Some data collected can be extremely sensitive, and it is important to respect the privacy of the participant. Finally, it is important to consider how your data can be used by others to support their own beliefs, and if the data presented could be used in some way to harm others. Each of these principals is important, however I believe that many people do not consider the last category. It is difficult to know how others may use your data to disparage others, and collectors should be very cautious and thoughtful in this area.

• Privacy and user consent must be respected when initiating a data collection project.

• Just like a scientific research that also based on data, M&E activities are very rely on the data we have collected and managed. And I agree that the way we collect the data is very important and need to be based on such ethical values, not only rely on the data themselves.

• The chances of the politicians using this data to qualify their opinions is very high. This is so because quite often, politicians try their best to stay away from anything that might tarnish their their political careers. In this case, taking in the blame of being contributors to their behaviors of this group of people. In addition, being politicians, they could not be in a better position to properly make conclusions in reference to how much some of these people have contributed to the overall crimes in general with regard to all the people that live in the area where this grouping of people was sampled out.

Therefore, the end result could indeed be that this data could potentially be used to further damage this group of people.

• This involves honoring participants well-being, dignity and self-worth by considering their experiences, ensuring that participants give consent and keeping their data confidential and anonymous.

• Anonymity and confidentiality is a must for avoiding harm in M&E system.

• I think this is really an exciting and interesting part in every M&E process. Although in my previous experiences in research, I may not have really considered any specific laws, but as a matter of common sense, I do understand that there are certain information people we meet during research and M&E are willing to give, but would not give such information when called upon in an open discussion. This for me means that it is my responsibility to ensure that people's privacy are protected at all length.

It is however better if organizations have policies that support that strengthen the adherence to upholding these ethical issues, with specific mention of what they are for each organization. Otherwise, people might easily not know when they fall short of ethical standards.

• With in do no harm, we consider the M&E practices. Which help us with to avoid harm to the participants, steckholders and other people who participated in the project or program, those practices includes: considering how others will use the data, ocnsider participants confidentiality, participants should sign informed consent of accepting the use of the information or data they provided.

• With in do no harm, we consider the M&E practices. Which help us with to avoid harm to the participants, steckholders and other people who participated in the project or program, those practices includes: considering how others will use the data, ocnsider participants confidentiality, participants should sign informed consent of accepting the use of the information or data they provided.

• Ethical practices should be analyzed by the whole group in charge of a project, not just the M&E team, and said practices must be followed throughout the implementation phase.

• When we collect data from the community or school it is so important that the data collection team is sprite and only they were responsible for that no harm of this data from others. and it is important that all is confidential, safe space.

• the way data is collected should not impose harm on the participants.

I
    1 Reply
  • I never knew that competence is part of ethical principle. It helps to curb people from just starting projects , without having the competence therof.

• I never knew that competence is part of ethical principle. It helps to curb people from just starting projects , without having the competence therof.

• I think no one ever wants to intentionally deliver harm , but it is so easy to do it.

• Harm can be easilly done by people

• Yes thats very true , thats where consent plays a big role

• Honor the dignity well being.
    Don't couse physical, emotional or reputational damage.
    How can we ensure that our M&E couse no harm.
    Consider the experience of your participants.
    Ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data

• do not harm other people for physically and mentally

• Do not harm is apparently a simple idea, but possesses a lot of complexities. One may see an idea from one aspect and other may see it from different aspect. Hence, one has to be active to collect data and examine it from as many aspects as possible.

• Honor the dignity ,well being.
    do not couse physical ,emotional or reputational damage .
    how you ensure your M&E couse no harm.
    consider the experiance of your participants .
    ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data

• Honor the dignity, well being.
    Do not couse physical ,emotional or reputational damage.
    How you ensure your M&E couse no harm
    Consider the experience of your participants.
    Ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data

• Very important and sensitive aspect of M&E . Very nice to come across this

• it is very import in community

• It is very important to avoid causing harm to others with use of data

• and that is the ethical spirit, unbaised.

• Identifying and avoiding potential areas where data may exacerbate existing inequities is crucial to ensure fairness and equity in decision-making processes. Here are some key considerations:

1. Biased data collection: Biases can be introduced during data collection if the sample is not representative or if there are inherent biases in the data collection methods. It's important to ensure diverse representation in the data collection process to avoid underrepresenting or excluding certain groups. This can be achieved by using inclusive sampling techniques and involving community members in the data collection process.

2. Data preprocessing and cleaning: Preprocessing and cleaning of data can inadvertently reinforce biases if not done carefully. Biases can be introduced through data cleaning techniques, such as imputation or outlier removal, if they are not applied consistently across different demographic groups. It's important to assess the potential impact of preprocessing steps on different groups and to consider alternative methods to mitigate biases.

3. Missing data and underrepresentation: Missing data can lead to skewed results if certain groups are disproportionately missing from the dataset. It's important to analyze and address missing data patterns to ensure fair representation. Techniques such as multiple imputation or sensitivity analysis can be used to handle missing data appropriately.

4. Overgeneralization and stereotyping: Drawing broad conclusions or making generalizations based on limited or biased data can perpetuate stereotypes and exacerbate inequities. It's crucial to analyze data within the appropriate context and avoid making assumptions about individuals or groups based on limited information.

5. Intersectionality: Intersectionality refers to the overlapping of various social identities and experiences, such as race, gender, socioeconomic status, and more. Failing to consider intersectionality in data analysis can overlook the unique experiences and challenges faced by individuals with multiple marginalized identities. It's important to analyze data through an intersectional lens and consider the varying impacts on different groups.

6. Ethical considerations: Ethical considerations surrounding data use and privacy can also impact equity. Ensuring informed consent, protecting personal information, and being transparent about data collection and usage practices are essential to avoid exacerbating inequities or violating individuals' rights.

To address these potential pitfalls, it's important to involve diverse perspectives in data collection and analysis, critically evaluate the data at each stage, and consider the broader social context in which the data is situated. Regularly reviewing and questioning assumptions and biases within the data analysis process can help mitigate the risk of exacerbating existing inequities.

• Yes! Sure it will, this is a critical component of data management. With the above-mentioned case study, the practitioner may be in the know, but in events where he/she doesn't know the thought of a certain group of people on others, it may be extremely difficult.

• this is a key aspect in monitoring and evaluation

• Data collection method and tool design are all hard work because you have to anticipate such cultural and context differences. For example, going paperless is not meant to be for all especially in locations with poor connectivity.

Furthermore, I learned that conflict of interests statement must be honest in order to minimize all bias and make the study useful for presentation.

• Good evening,

Apart from non disclosure of information there is also re-using information without being permitted. Plagiarism!

• It musn't be a further damage to this groupe of people. The politicians should act with no harm with this low group of individuals.

• I think it is very important that the data collect should cause no harm, I fully agree with the do no harm.

• This has been very informative, there a number of things that I have been doing in my professional career that are actually going aganist a lo

• to identify unintended negative or positive impacts of humanitarian and development interventions in settings where there is conflict or risk of conflict.

• The component of" Do not harm" considered to to be honest and maintain the dignity, confidentiality and self- worth of the individuals. Ensuring not to have any physical, emotional or reputational damage to them. Also consider the existing experiences of the individuals while including their data, taking their informed consent and identify and avoid potential areas where your data may increase the problems of downtrodden individuals/community.

• It will be very important to avoid instances whereby information collected can fall into the wrong hands. That itself can cripple the objective of the study. Therefore, there would be a need to restrict an access to data by the external forces. Such data collected should be highly encrypt to avoid a loss or loophole for anyone who has no authority to access it. On the other hand, a confidential policy should be implemented to restrict anyone to giving out information that is confidential to people who are not entitled to having it. Above all, a cyber security program can also be adopted or implemented to monitor any shortfalls that may take place incase of data loss or accessibility by the external forces.

• interesting module

• Ethical concerns should be the top priority. These will help to create a foundation that will develop trust among the stakeholders.

• Please, be careful. Your data is not for all people. You and only you know what the data mean and how can for any one using this data for bad things.

• oui, ces données peuvent être utilisées par les opposants pour démontrer que le parti politique au pouvoir ne fait pas correctement sont travail d'ou les déviances observées

• When dealing with personal information the protection of personal information is very crucial and ensuring that the data is note easily accessible.
    Most of all integrity is very essential

• Do no harm is an important ethical principle as it helps us to remain focused on the project during our data collection and ensuring we honor the dignity, well being and self worthy of individuals. we are further reminded to ensure participants give informed consent as they provide information during data collection. it also reminds us to ensure participants remain anonymous so that we do not attach individuals to data collected. These will help us in ensuring we get a reduction in data bias.

• Ethical considerations are paramount in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) practices. This involves ensuring the well-being of individuals and minimizing potential harm. Ethical M&E requires thoughtful data collection, transparency, informed consent, data anonymity, and an awareness of how data may be used. The aim is to enrich participants' experiences and contribute positively to society.
    Neglecting ethical considerations in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) practices can result in a range of significant drawbacks for a company. These include reputation damage, legal consequences, loss of stakeholder trust, data breaches, harm to participants, impaired decision-making, regulatory risks, and a potential loss of competitive advantage. Prioritizing ethical M&E is essential for building trust, safeguarding the company's reputation, and mitigating these risks effectively.

• Before collecting any data it is useful to stop and assess the situation, to make sure that money and time is
    not wasted. The basic principles of data collection include keeping things as simple as possible; planning
    the entire process of data selection, collection, analysis and use from the start; and ensuring that any data
    collected is valid, reliable and credible. all of the previously mentioned factors could not be ensured unless they are done in an honest way.

• Yes..the data found by me in this case could further destroy or damage this group of people because the data clearly shows that these people committed crimes and at the same time the political people looking for this same kind of people.Thereby putting their lives even more at stake.

• Considering the experience of participants is such an underrated insight.

• I agree! .. I think In the context of M&E data collection, adhering to the "Do No Harm" principle and they must ensures that data collection is conducted in a manner that respects participants' rights, minimizes potential harm, and contributes to the well-being of the communities involved.

• M&E practitioners should be transparent about the purpose and objectives of the M&E process, the data collection methods, and the use of the data collected. This involves providing participants with clear informatoin about the M&E process and ensuring that they understand the purpose and implications of their participation.

• This is very insightful

• Seeking consent can minimize any harm that may come from respondents

•         The Do No Harm in principle is the leading tool for the application of conflict sensitive.

According to De George, the Do No Harm principal is one of the essential elements of ethical performance within organizations. Certainly, it is usually implied that organizations and individual entrepreneurs should avoid any harm while pursuing their business objectives.

• This is extremely important as in as much as we want to collect data it has to be done in a way that do not harm, endanger or affect the dignity of any one involved.

• Ensuring that monitoring and evaluation (M&E) practices cause no harm to participants, stakeholders, or other people is crucial. Here are some ways to achieve this:

Consider the Experience of Participants: Make the data collection process as simple, intuitive, and efficient as possible to avoid causing stress or confusion. For example, instead of lengthy and time-consuming processes, opt for shorter, more focused ones.

Informed Consent: Always ensure that participants understand what they are agreeing to when they participate in a study. They should be fully aware of the risks involved and the purpose of the data collection.

Anonymity and Confidentiality: Keep participant data anonymous and confidential. Anonymity ensures that data cannot be linked back to the individual who provided it, while confidentiality ensures that data can only be accessed by those who have permission.

Avoid Exacerbating Existing Inequities: Be mindful of how your data could be used by others. Even if you present your data without prejudice, others may not do so. Always consider the potential implications and avoid releasing data that could be used to harm others.

• Keeping data or information collected from people confidential and anonymous is what will encourage people to share their information whether its is a sensitive or not with anyone collecting data. Its good to always keep your promise/word and ensure that you don't breech this

• no, I will not release this data because it will cause more damage to this people which I don't want because I follow the principle which says: Do No Harm. so when am collecting my data I will skip any information that may cause harm to people.

• "Do No Harm" is a fundamental ethical principle often associated with the field of healthcare, particularly in medical ethics. It emphasizes the importance of avoiding actions or decisions that could cause harm to patients. Healthcare professionals, such as doctors and nurses, are bound by this principle, which is rooted in the Hippocratic Oath, one of the most widely known ethical codes in the medical profession.

In a broader sense, the principle of "Do No Harm" can be applied to various contexts beyond healthcare, such as in research, business, and everyday life. It highlights the moral obligation to consider the potential negative consequences of one's actions and to prioritize the well-being and safety of others.

Adhering to the principle of "Do No Harm" requires careful consideration of the consequences of actions, empathy, and a commitment to making ethical decisions that prioritize the welfare of individuals and society as a whole. It serves as a guiding principle for ethical decision-making and underscores the importance of ethical behavior in all aspects of life.

• Different groups require different assurances in every stage when engaging with community programs. By ensuring anonymity and confidentiality as well as not being biased during data collection is a sure way of getting the right information from them. Organizations should have limits to who can access some of the data collected to prevent it being compromised. Also regular staff capacity building sessions can help to instill such practices in them.

• The principle of “do no harm” remains a major concern for all the religious groups. The notion “do no harm” embodies the medical ethics principle of “non-maleficence”, that is to refrain from doing any harm first, before doing any good
    The harm principle says people should be free to act however they wish unless their actions cause harm to somebody else

• The principle of “do no harm” remains a major concern for all the religious groups. The notion “do no harm” embodies the medical ethics principle of “non-maleficence”, that is to refrain from doing any harm first, before doing any good
    The harm principle says people should be free to act however they wish unless their actions cause harm to somebody else

• Designing questions that do no harm means considering potential risks for all stakeholders (enumerators, Key Informant, community, organization...) at all stages of the process, including Data Collection, Storage, Analysis, Dissemination and Use. Data is shared with partners, either publicly or through data sharing agreements. It is therefore crucial to consider the consequences that the shared data may have for population, organizations and staff also as we design the data collection tools. For each question included in the questionnaire, we should assess benefits and risks, in the current and potential future context, of sharing and NOT sharing data. Appropriate measures should be put in place to minimize harm when sharing (e.g., Data Sharing SoPs, Agreements, aggregate data to a level that is not harmful)
    During implementation, it is important that Enumerators feel able to inform data team when they could not ask a question, without this leading to negative consequences for their job security. Feedback of such instances will trigger modification in the questionnaire and be reported back to partners who originally asked for that information. This will improve the quality and reliability of data.
    Finally, during and after data is collected, analysed and shared, data team and partners should also monitor the consequences (benefits, risks...) of data sharing and of NOT sharing.

• It very ethical important to ensure that the personal information of your beneficiaries are kept confidential. In other words you have to ensure that collected data is stored somewhere no authorized persons can have access to it. In the nutshell this will ensure that the safety of our beneficiary is guaranteed.

• The principle of do no harm, guides us as humanitarian works, to avoid any situation that can cause harm to our beneficiaries this include revealing they identity in case of participating in an project research or data collection

• It is essential that people working in the international development sector and especially those who deal with vulnerable populations, should make sure that their M§E practises won't harm these groups in any way.

• Pour ma part ce un principe tres important parce qu'il permet de preserver l'integriter phusique et morale des individus

• Ensuring ethical Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) practices involves considering the participant experience, obtaining informed consent, maintaining anonymity and confidentiality, and being mindful of potential harm or exacerbation of inequities that could result from data release.

• The data must not be used for publication or disclosure of its confidentiality to determine goals؟

• it is extremely importante to keep this in mind specially in the collection section where people may think is stressful and time consuming

• Do no harm others is a crucial principle to protect the information of people you're collecting data during M&E.

• that is why learning code of conduct and competition compliancy is essential.

• Monitoring: Collecting project information regularly to measure the progress of your project or activity. This helps to track performance over time and to make informed decisions about the effectiveness of projects and the efficient use of resources.

Evaluation: Evaluation measures how well the project activities have achieved the project’s objectives and how much changes in outcomes can be directly linked to a project’s interventions.

• PHILANTHROPY
    UNIVERSITY
    FHI360
    From Data Collection to Data Use
    Course
    Welcome Module
    Module 1
    Introduction
    Ethical Principles
    Apply
    Module 2
    Module 3
    Module 4
    Module 5
    Module 6, current location
    All Topics
    Progress
    Teams
    My Badges
    Unenroll from this course

1. Ethics and M&E
      MODULE 1
      Ethical Principles
      Ethics and M&E
      Ethics and M&E
      The example on the previous page illustrates one of many possible ethical issues that you might encounter during M&E work. In the example above, there could be serious consequences if the organization and their partner limit their data collection to a small set of wealthy, ethnically homogenous women:

The conclusions they draw from this data may be biased toward the perspectives of wealthy women from a single ethnic group
    The solutions they design based on these data may not work for women who were not represented in the poll
    They may not be able to rely on these data for important decisions
    Ethics—the principles that guide morally correct behavior—are a big deal in M&E. If used properly, M&E is a tool for distinguishing truth from fiction and for creating just, positive solutions. If unethical choices are made, however, it can be difficult to know what is true. Poor, unwise, or unjust decisions can be made. Even worse, your data practices may endanger the very people you hope to help.

• Do no harm
    this include obtaining informed consent, ensuring confidentiality and privacy, and avoiding harm or negative consequences. Non- maleficence. M&E practitioners should avoid causing harm to participants, including physical, psichological, social or economic harm.

• It's every leaders duty to ensure Participants are experienced,there's informed consent on how to collect and use data ,ensure confidentiality of participants data and to avoid that data from reaching unoauthorised users

• According to the ethics involved in undertaking a social research, one of the prerequisites to be taken into the consideration is that, the ethical consideration plays a major role in conducting a social research. The units of of analysis should be well structured and such ethical elements such as, DO NO HARM should be well observed as caution in carrying out the study. The information to be gathered should well reserved and treated as confidential information so as to not have a negative impact to the units of analysis.

• This is really a nice topic, ethics needs to be considered in data collection so that we get the desired information which can be used for the success of our organization. we need to avoid the harms so that our beneficiaries are respected as we get the required data or information for our programs or projects.

• this is really great

• this is really great

• this is really great, am really enjoying. the principles just sserve as fuel for an M & E process

• Be sure that your result do not harm, and explain fluently what we want and are dooing clearly

• do no harm simply means that one needs to consider potential risks for all involved stakeholders .Key Informant, community or organization, at all stages of the process, including Data Collection, Storage, Analysis, Dissemination and Use.

• It is important to allow participants to revoke their consent to being surveyed at any time. Often times in efforts to secure data for ELT's and external stakeholders, data is extracted without full, given, clear consent and/or instructions for use.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.