Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Hello , i agree that succes story of beneficiaries is one of the best way to show what's you doing . The impact of your project .

• I always thought fundraising was all about myth 2, which is "Raising money is all about knowing rich people." During my assessment I saw I actually had quite a number of human resources i could leverage on, from family, friends and colleagues.

• Hi all,
    I love a good story but do think that they need to be dealt with carefully as too many glowing stories could diminish the perception of validity. also - just as in stats stories can also be manipulated - I think an important element is corroboration - in the story Dr Wolff gave the video was further backed up by an appearance of the individual - in these super cynical times i feel this is important. Another aspect that i am worried about is that we are starting out so stories are not yet available.
    In terms of the validity of stats most stats quoted should have links back to the original data - from there you can often even glean other 'facts' that are related.

D
    1 Reply
  • @Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

In this module, Tom Wolf introduced seven commonly believed but mistaken myths of fundraising. Which myth surprised you the most? Do you have any questions about any of the myths? Post your comments below! If someone has already mentioned the myth that you were thinking about, respond to their post.

In case you have forgotten, here are Tom's 7 myths of fundraising:

1. Fundraising is only about getting cash.
    2. Raising money is all about knowing rich people.
    3. In fundraising, one person gives and another receives.
    4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    5. When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.
    6. A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.
    7. The Internet has completely changed how we do fundraising.

I was most surprised to learn that myth 3 was not true because I always think it is give and receive transaction. One question I have about myth 4 is what about funders/donors that do not talk much? How do one anchor such a discussion/conversation? should one just go on to talk about the "cause" and other necessary information?

• @EmmaCampbell said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

Hi all,
    I love a good story but do think that they need to be dealt with carefully as too many glowing stories could diminish the perception of validity. also - just as in stats stories can also be manipulated - I think an important element is corroboration - in the story Dr Wolff gave the video was further backed up by an appearance of the individual - in these super cynical times i feel this is important. Another aspect that i am worried about is that we are starting out so stories are not yet available.
    In terms of the validity of stats most stats quoted should have links back to the original data - from there you can often even glean other 'facts' that are related.

Even when starting out, there is/are other existing similar project and there would be success stories from those project.You just need to dig and research more to get those touching stories that are engaging and attracting.

• @Joewilz said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

In this module, Tom Wolf introduced seven commonly believed but mistaken myths of fundraising. Which myth surprised you the most? Do you have any questions about any of the myths? Post your comments below! If someone has already mentioned the myth that you were thinking about, respond to their post.

4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    5. When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.

Example post: I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because ______________. One question I have about myth 1 is ___________ .

Myth 4 really stood out for me for years I have always thought You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible. But now I am seeing it in a new light

what about donors that do not talk much, you will still need to talk and convince them. Basically, the point I got from this myth is to allow the donor to react to your initial introduction of your cause, then try to lead a little and allow them to express their perceptions and perspectives about your cause, which is how you will get the hint on where to link their thoughts to your cause. Remember, you are trying to offer them partnership, so that they can belong to something special in this world.

• @Gait_Africa said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@shivanithapliyal18 said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

Example post: I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because ______________. One question I have about myth 1 is ___________ .
    I was most surprised to learn that myth 7 was not true because, we live in the era of finding and raising funds via the internet. I feel, the internet may intimidate some NGO to go away from contemporary principles of raising funds that works by attempting to please and impress various donors in new approaches. One question I have about myth 3 is what are some examples that a small NGO organization can offer to donors? As some donors just feel, you need them more than they need you?

Myth 4.
    We should listen to the donor but also them about the organization or project as much as possible so that they can connect with the organization and see the efforts they had made.

examples of what a small NGO organization can offer to a donor is those invaluable and intangible gift of belonging or being part of a cause for good, a cause that is very impactful. The donors definitely do not need gratification in terms of money or gifts. They want acknowledgement of their participation and support towards a project that has changed lives of people. You can acknowledge them by giving vote of thanks on your website, publication etc. Just give them a forum that will acknowledge their support and let the forum have a lot of audience.

• @DamiO said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I totally agree with point 6: A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.

What happens if you are the only one in an organisation and so you are solely responsible for fundraising efforts?

I believe you can't stop fundraising as an individual but you must be open to allow others assist you until you put together your team

• @opeter said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I totally agree that success stories are far better and more important than statistics, for statistics can easily be manipulated. What would be the best way though to ensure that the statistics provided are always credible?

It is difficult to judge the credibility of statistics and therefore success stories are necessary and sufficient.

• I was surprised to learn myth 4, because in my view to solicit money for a good cause its important to be as transparent as possible. This is still true but I have learnt that you don't need to bombard people with information, especially if it is not relevant to them. As with any sales technique you just need to tailor the angle to win their support. If this is done ethically, with no lying, then I suppose this is OK. Also, I would never deliberately withhold information if asked, so I think this mythbusting can be a little confusing. So long as fundraisers realise the point in this is to not be disingenuous then I agree.

C
    1 Reply
  • In case you have forgotten, here are Tom's 7 myths of fundraising:

Myth 4
    You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.

I thought that in fund raising, saying much about my organization and selling the project as mucg=h as possible to them will make them fund my project, but I realize that it is more than that. As much as I need facts and figures, they donor needs to hear more of his interest on the project

My subtke question is this, Do all the donor really listen to all the facts and possibly look out for their interest?

• @GeorgiePerry said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was surprised to learn myth 4, because in my view to solicit money for a good cause its important to be as transparent as possible. This is still true but I have learnt that you don't need to bombard people with information, especially if it is not relevant to them. As with any sales technique you just need to tailor the angle to win their support. If this is done ethically, with no lying, then I suppose this is OK. Also, I would never deliberately withhold information if asked, so I think this mythbusting can be a little confusing. So long as fundraisers realise the point in this is to not be disingenuous then I agree.

yes as we have learnt you can put all the information online and update as often as possible and it does not negate the original form of fundraising. verifiable proofs and information when uploaded can get a donor attracted to you. There is really no need to lie about anything. Nice myth debunking

I was mind blown with the myth number 3, because this is how you have to approach to a prospected donor, just knowing that you are going to work as a partnership for a cause (Donor and Organization) is giving a high value of the donation that the donor is giving

I was most surprised to learn that myth 7 was not true because was told about internet seaching succes stories. One question I have is How I do aproach donnors in other countries for fundraising as in person frundaising strategies?

• Hello,
    has anyone done the assignments?

• @Osasenaga said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was really shocked about myth number 4 because I thought that most donors will like like to know all about the organization they are donating to.

I was shocked like you, with myth #4. But that made me think more deeply. I think fundraising is all about and giving and understanding that person your trying to help. I realized even the person that has money needs to be understood and heard. This myth woke me up, that no matter how much you have, you still need to be heard, felt and given something even if it was just listening. So, in the end we are all human and we all are missing something in our lives.
    Lets give always to everyone, with love.

• Course Facilitator

Hi,
    @RMG75 @nadzphiri @gazelle @nikeadesina @Nai @BAHARANYI @Oluwatoseen @johntosin92 @Sarah_Kachimfya @DrOse @petersome, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

What myth surprised you the most? Do you have experience with some of these fundraising myths?”

Kindly share with us..

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us @nioleberna @obajudah2014 @Ricky_Andujar @NinahWakesho @Starlex @OHMS @NataliaPelaez @Gait_Africa @edwinfndz.

What myth surprised you the most? Do you have experience with some of these fundraising myths?”

Let's hear your views please.

• Course Facilitator

Hi @Mbarya @Rabiro @Raheematlight @EKUA @Marcela_Gonzalez @JpedroH @ABOD @croach
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Let's hear your view ok.

• Course Facilitator

@Joewilz @purechild @Cisco @J_adaku @EmmaCampbell @DrTolulopeJayeoba @adaezeochi @Vince23 @GeorgiePerry @Chysquare @1capaez @Clarem @Maverick @Malakalreyati, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

What myth surprised you the most?
    Do you have experience with some of these fundraising myths?”

Pls share with us ok!!

• Course Facilitator

Hello learners,

As the course is coming to an end, I charge us to be conscious of the Important Notes/Deadlines Before This Course Ends! And do the needful via https://community.philanthropyu.org/discussions/topic/3480/important-notes-deadlines-before-this-course-ends

• Point 1 really caught my attention because most people think fundraising is all about cash. I was like that at some point to.

P
    1 Reply
  • Well for me point no 1 stood out more because I use to be a victim but now I know better.😊

• Yes, I've also been told to try to talk as much about the organization and the cause the organization supports and was very much surprised. It makes so much sense though, to connect with donors where they're at instead of lecturing with numbers and statistics. This is extremely helpful information!

P
    1 Reply
  • Hallow
    I have been trying to get assignments from peers so that I can review them without success. How can I access them?

P
    1 Reply
  • i thought raising money is all about the rich people i know , one question i have about myth 2 is how do i convince all these people close to me to buy into what i need to do with the funds where they are not interested?

• I also agree with Tom seven myths of fundraising. its improve my fundraising skills and knowledge

• Course Facilitator

@Joewilz said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

Point 1 really caught my attention because most people think fundraising is all about cash. I was like that at some point to.

@Joewilz, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
    I believe and have confidence that with this new knowledge and skill acquired, you will set precepts too and impact on others positively.

Can continue by encouraging and referring others to acquire this knowledge too with us.
    Congratulations in advance!

• Course Facilitator

@evpallasigue said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

Yes, I've also been told to try to talk as much about the organization and the cause the organization supports and was very much surprised. It makes so much sense though, to connect with donors where they're at instead of lecturing with numbers and statistics. This is extremely helpful information!

@evpallasigue, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
    I believe and have confidence that with this new knowledge and skill acquired, you will set precepts too and impact on others positively.

Can continue by encouraging and referring others to acquire this knowledge too with us.

• Course Facilitator

@Mbarya said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

Hallow
    I have been trying to get assignments from peers so that I can review them without success. How can I access them?

@Mbarya, this is because all peer assignments are time bound. You indeed were trying to do so within elapsed time.
    Moreover, the course has been closed.

Sorry for that ok. Can entrol for the course subsequently we commence enrolment OK. Looking forth to seeing you next session.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Good day sir, I did my assignment before due time .but no peer assessment showed up for me to assess as to complete my module two for grading.And now the course is over,how do you grade my module two so that I get my total score

• I was surprised by myth two because i thought its only rich people who can give donations.

C
    1 Reply
  • @merikol said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was surprised by myth two because i thought its only rich people who can give donations.

GLAD YOU REALIZED OTHERWISE

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.