Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 3: Unrealistic Targets

Setting unrealistic targets in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) can lead to several adverse consequences. Firstly, it undermines the integrity and purpose of M&E by distorting the assessment of program effectiveness. Unrealistic targets create a misleading narrative, making it difficult to accurately gauge project performance. This can result in misguided resource allocation and strategic planning. Moreover, it fosters a culture of disillusionment among stakeholders, eroding trust in the evaluation process. As a pharmacist transitioning to programming, understanding the importance of realistic goal-setting in M&E is analogous to debugging code: it ensures accuracy, reliability, and ultimately, the success of the entire system. Embracing realistic targets in M&E aligns with the entrepreneurial mindset, emphasizing the need for transparency and evidence-based decision-making, core principles essential not only in pharmacy but also in the dynamic field of programming and innovation.

• 1 Reply
  • I agree with you on this. I'd like to emphasize how unrealistic targets bring misleading narrative which causes eroding of trust among stakeholders, especially the people involved. As a nurse in public health and research, I have seen how important the trust of the people are. Stakeholders believe in our vision and support us. My co-workers are motivated to work for a common cause. The beneficiary (communities or populations) engage and cooperate because of a goal.

Misleading targets sets unrealistic expectations which may negatively affect the trust and connection with the said people. Aside from the success of the project, realistic targets ensure their full cooperation. This is essential because community health highlights people empowerment - that the healthcare system is here with them, but they have the health in their hands. As we work with the community and other people, we must set realistic targets with them, for them.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.