Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 4: Types of RBF

What is still unclear for you about the different types of RBF funding and the suitability of each? See if your peers can help you clarify what remains unclear. Post your questions and see if you can help at least one peer by responding to their question.

N
    H
    2 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Concerning forms of RBF are sinking in bit by bit with reference to the definition they come clear even with scenario examples claerly distinguishes them. With much exposure the meaning and application will establish.

• I have a thorough understanding of the topic but I faced the problem of lacking access to Personal computer. I usually use my mobile smartphone as the tool for reading and uploading my assignment.
    Thank you

• I have a thorough understanding of the topic but I faced the problem of lacking access to Personal computer. I usually use my mobile smartphone as the tool for reading and uploading my assignment.
    Thank you. Based on what I learned so far from RBF organisations can be able to do more in every aspect of the work so that efficiency can be achieve. This type of funding should be is more suitable to African organisations as there is efficiency attached to it.

• Social Impact Bonds and Development Impact Bonds are almost de same. The main difference is based on the fact that the Developpent Impact Bond fits more for poor countries. But can we have more differences between the two?

• In determining the difference between social impact bond (SIB) and development impact bond (DIB) could we add a criteria based on what outcomes the project is intended to achieve. If you had a DIB in a developing country that involve supporting higher level SMEs, would it be the same as having DIB supporting lower level SMEs?.

S
    J
    C
    3 Replies
  • Still bit confused in PBCs and IBCs

• I have understood RBF funding in accordance with the scope of learning provided. But I understand since this is an emerging topic, I need to keep tabs with what is happening in the world and the various models of RBF used by different donors.

• Concerning forms of RBF are sinking in bit by bit with reference to the definition they come clear even with scenario examples claerly distinguishes them. With much exposure the meaning and application will establish.

• Nice application of RBF

• How are RBF contracts tailored for local governments where services are routinely scripted with tight specifications and little room in agreements for flexibility in activities? Seems like this type of funding is not a good fit when there is a centralized purchasing department that does not want things to change mid-stream. Has anyone overcome this in the US?

• I think there are two questions here:

1. I think by definition - SIB and DIB are distinguished by where the money comes from (government or private funder) so adding criteria on outcomes is possible in both
    2. I don't think it matters whether the SME is higher-level or lower-level; Are they scalable? Are they effective?
  • I also think that DIB covers all aspects. The different goals will be communicated during contract signing

• RBF instruments can shift risk away from donors and onto implementers and investors by only paying for activities that have impact

• I would like to add a little to it. Investing in social impact bonds nowadays has risen in recent years as a way for investors to give back to the community, as well as a way for companies to expand their social responsibility.

• The main purpose of development impact bonds is to attract private investors to subsidize development projects , Social impact bonds are differentiated from other fixed-income securities by the number of major players involved in the fundraising process.

• I have understood RBF funding in accordance with the scope of learning provided. But I understand since this is an emerging topic, I need to keep tabs with what is happening in the world and the various models of RBF used by different donors.

• The choice between the two depends on factors like the availability of upfront capital, the level of risk the funder is willing to take, and the nature of the social intervention. Performance-based contracts are more straightforward and suitable when outcomes are easier to measure, while impact bonds are employed when there's a need for external investment and a more complex intervention.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.