Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I find that it is a great opportunity to engage in feedback and learn more about how the process could improve. Once we received a no but it had nothing to with any person but more about the type of event we were still running and how it felt stale to the donor. This lead to our next year revamping the event, adding in new activities and rebranding the entire flagship event

• One thing that is certain is the fact that this incorporation of families of the donors is majorly the duty of the donor not you request for sponsorship.

• a no doesnt meant you cant get funding you need.

• No is not always a long-term answer. Listen to the donor more and make another ask in the future.

• Everything is ok.

• When you receive a negative response, you must listen to the donor and see if there is a possibility of inviting him again to donate to our cause, it is a negative feeling, but you must learn to live with that response and move on.

• I learnt how to be honest with my support systems and try again with a more effective means.

• The aspect of seeking the donor's advice on how do it more better by the next time is quite beautiful.

• I like your idea

• Hmm, finding out why. Great lesson

• A no might be an opportunity to learn more and stand better chances.

• Patience and consistent

• A "no" is a means to improve

• A no is a key to next step

• Well, it's definitely awkward to be turned down. Especially, if you thought that the person was going to say yes or had said yes in the past. I learned to always have it in my mind that the answer could be no.

• Sometimes a no provides an opportunity to learn/ grow. No's are not always just negative.

M
    1 Reply
  • I learned that a no is not always a closed door. It can give an opportunity to set up communication and solicit advice

• absolutely, it can help you develop your ask

• When you receive a "no" from a donor, I find a way to convince them again. If they insist, I suggest to see them at a later time

• When you receive a "no" from a donor, I find a way to convince them again. If they insist, I suggest to see them at a later time

• When I receive a "NO" from a donor, I try to convince him but if he insists, I seek for a better time to see him

• When I receive a "NO" from a donor, I try to convince him but if he insists, I seek for a better time to see him

• When I received a No from a donor, I first appreciated the donor for her time. I asked to see her at a better time

• Useful and important tips

• One thing I've learned from experiencing rejection or receiving a "no" from a donor is the importance of resilience and perseverance in fundraising. While rejection can be disheartening, it's essential to view it as a learning opportunity rather than a failure. By analyzing the reasons behind the rejection, I can identify areas for improvement and refine my approach in future fundraising efforts. Additionally, rejection serves as a reminder to maintain a positive attitude and to continue reaching out to potential donors with confidence and determination. Overall, each "no" brings me one step closer to finding the right donor and achieving fundraising success.

• One thing I've learned from experiencing rejection or receiving a "no" from a donor is the importance of resilience and perseverance in fundraising. While rejection can be disheartening, it's essential to view it as a learning opportunity rather than a failure. By analyzing the reasons behind the rejection, I can identify areas for improvement and refine my approach in future fundraising efforts. Additionally, rejection serves as a reminder to maintain a positive attitude and to continue reaching out to potential donors with confidence and determination. Overall, each "no" brings me one step closer to finding the right donor and achieving fundraising success.

J
    1 Reply
  • One important lesson learned from the experience of rejection or receiving a "no" from a donor is the value of resilience and perseverance. Fundraising is inherently a process that involves facing numerous rejections and setbacks before achieving success. Each rejection provides an opportunity for learning and growth.

Instead of being discouraged by a "no," fundraisers can use it as a chance to reflect on their approach, refine their pitch, and identify areas for improvement. By embracing rejection as a natural part of the fundraising journey, fundraisers can develop resilience and determination to keep pushing forward despite obstacles.

Moreover, experiencing rejection can also help fundraisers develop empathy and understanding towards donors' perspectives. It reminds fundraisers that donors may have their own constraints, priorities, and reasons for declining support, which may not necessarily reflect on the worthiness of the cause or the fundraiser's efforts.

Ultimately, learning from rejection enables fundraisers to become more effective advocates for their cause, build stronger relationships with donors, and increase their chances of success in the future. It teaches them to persevere, adapt, and approach fundraising with a positive mindset, knowing that each "no" brings them one step closer to a "yes."

• Very well said. That is right attitude to have. Every no is a learning opportunity. Persevere and you will come out on top. Never give up. The worst people can say is no.

D
    1 Reply
  • i have learnt to understand the dynamics of recieving a NO.....a No brings to me the reality of my possibility of success....if i can concieve it ,then it is doable.

with this mind set i deal with disappointment easily with a view that it is a stepping stone to the dream.

L
    1 Reply
  • yes never give up ,i share with you in that believe ....no shouldnt be a barrier to our dreams.

• My name is Fernanda Mitchell, I am from Las Vegas, NV, I am passionate about mental health and education in teenagers and children, I think that mental health and education is essential for a better future in our society, unfortunately my city lacks health services mentally and our state does not receive as many benefits for education as the rest of the country does, our city needs a lot of support, despite being a world-known city.

• I remember my first experience with fundraising in high school, although at the time I just thought "I need to ask for money. I stood outside of a supermarket asking for strangers to help me fund my educational trip to Europe and it scared me to be rejected. My first rejection was a fast no and rude comment, "Get a job!" and once I heard that comment it actually prepared me for the other no's and comments. However, once I got a yes that feeling over took the disappointed feeling and I learned that I had to be quicker with my ask because they wanted to leave or enter the supermarket. I learned a lot in that experience for my future in fundraising that for every no there is a lesson and for every no there is also a yes coming your way!

• Hi @Dom!

I think this is a great mindset to have! I agree with you that we can't take a no as stop everything but just as a stepping stone in the process to the overall goal. Really great advice/post!

• I have learned that it is not often a no because of something I have failed at, but because they just aren’t ready.

K
    J
    2 Replies
  • One thing I've learned from experiencing rejection or receiving a "no" from a donor is the importance of resilience and perseverance in fundraising. While it can be disheartening to face rejection, especially when you believe strongly in your cause, it's crucial not to let it deter you from continuing your efforts. Instead of dwelling on the rejection, I've learned to view it as an opportunity for growth and reflection. By analyzing the reasons behind the rejection and identifying areas for improvement, I can adapt my approach and refine my fundraising strategy for future interactions with donors. Ultimately, learning from rejection allows me to become more resilient and better equipped to navigate challenges in fundraising, ultimately increasing my chances of success.

In response to another learner, I agree that maintaining a positive attitude and focusing on building relationships with donors are key factors in overcoming rejection. By approaching fundraising with optimism and sincerity, and by nurturing connections with donors based on mutual respect and shared values, we can cultivate a supportive network of supporters who are invested in our cause. Additionally, I appreciate the emphasis on adaptability and flexibility in fundraising strategies. Being willing to adjust our approach based on feedback and lessons learned from past experiences can help us refine our techniques and improve our effectiveness in securing support for our organization or cause.

• No is not always no as it might sound!

• In fundraising when you face no, remember that no is not always no

• what I got is that even if you receive an emphatic No all hope is not lost there is a way to still go about

• The rejection I experienced was when 2 ladies from my church agreed after my presentation to them individually that they would support me with a certain amount of money monthly, I never heard anything from them ever again even though we still go to the same church all the time.
    What I have learned from this is that just because someone is interested and sees value in what you do will they give as they promised, but this must not discourage you from making more appointments, starting new relationships and networks or even giving up.

• Totally agree, and that both no and yes can result in a positive way for you. You leave richer or wiser every time you engage with a donor.

• The key take away from me is keeping the potential donor engaged if they cannot donate at the moment due to their circumstances. Maintaining regular contact and offering other ways to support my organisation are paramount

• No reinforce the ability of each action we undertake once we correct the mistake

• Disappointment is natural, but here's the learning opportunity. The rejection highlights the need for me to better tailor my approach. I can revisit the project's presentation, emphasizing how it aligns with the company's specific areas of interest. Perhaps involving immediate family members to be part of our organizational fund-raising strategy for their family members to influence them and fund the project next time.
    Understanding a donor's priorities allows for a more targeted pitch, increasing the chance of resonating with them and securing a "yes" in the future.

• they might be ready but their priorities did not align with yours

• I learnt to handle such moments in a meeting and to always have multiple donors in a waiting list

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.