Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

1. One way to build up our unrestricted funds would be to have more events throughout the year, especially small, low-cost events that gather local donors (e.g.: house party).

2. This would help build our organization's capacity because we have a decent number of members / annual donors, but having small events to keep them engaged throughout the year (and bring in new local members/donors) is something we could benefit from

A
    1 Reply
  • it is important to contact your local corporations to have meetings and comunicate your mission

• what does that mean?

• a,azingOne why that I think can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about their support to your organization base on specific donation, because you specify the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another why my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is my organizing fundraising events and funds raised form this evey will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.

• The way we raise fund to keep my organization running apart from restricted grant is through event. We organize friends fest where friends, relatives, colleagues and acquaints are invited and served small chops with light music. Thereafter, we share testimony by a beneficiary of our program and then tell about our mission and program. People give to support our program. We use the money realized to fund project and operations.

• Good ideas and helps in keeping the organization running if well managed especially membership subscription

• They are several types of fundings: restricted and unrestricted fundings. Restricted fundings are mostly run by foundations, corporations while unrestricted can be performed on a fundraising activities where individuals express themselves.

• Membership could be a great way for my organization to raise unrestricted support. With additional support our organization could increase our efforts and capacity for change by expanding our reach and in turn expanding our donor base.

• the manner in which i can increase the amount of unrestricted gifts is by using the specific term as mentioned by TOM as to other programs and needs of the organisation. thats a wonderful way to put out the needs and message for support towards unrestricted funds.
    also on a strategic aspect to reach out to the donors on the bottom of the pyramid to seek addition focused support towards the cause and gauge their appetite for further support and engagement.

• This s the correct answer,to boost an organization unrestricted fund is by running an event fundraising.

• nice session and module, helps in aligning the organisation strategy and business plan to acquire more support and programmatic interventions

• 1: Fundraising Gala Dinner
    2: Expanding our programs, human resources and partners base.

• That's very helpful.

• I like the donor engagement part.

• Memberships definitely. And naming rights to a building for example, for a specific period of time.

• I think the best way for me to find unrestricted funds is to tap into individual donations which allow us to expand our operations beyond the terms of our donors

• sell our organization to other donors and review our mission statement

• One way I can think of to increase my organization's amount of unrestricted gifts is to organize fundraising events and meetings, both online and in presence. They could be organized in the Country where the organization is registered, but also abroad, in Countries where the Organization collaborates with entities whose donations go directly to the main Organization to support its projects.
    Through unrestricted gifts, my organization could support operational costs and costs that are not included in usual restricted gifts.

• Great idea! It would be great to find a proper way to ask individuals for fund, maybe by organizing fundraising events and taking into account the ''gift'' you can make to your donors (field visits, thank you letter...)

K
    1 Reply
  • One way is by working closely with the local possible funders and publicize widely the organization activities as way of increasing visibility to donors. This can be done on social media and organization's website.

• I agree with you when you create a fundraising event can lead to raise funds and connect with other possible donors

T
    1 Reply
  • This is great a fundraising event can also raise money for your organisation

• By getting small unrestricted ongoing gifts.

• it is good experience i will apply to my organization.
    one way to increase my organization's unrestricted funding is to pursue a multi-faceted approach that will embrace memberships and organize fundraising campaigns like dinners, sports events, and matches by volunteers where they will be soliciting donations from friends, membership, and using board members, Contact your local corporations to have meetings and communicate our mission.
    To build up our unrestricted funds would be to have more events throughout the year, especially small, low-cost events that gather local donors (e.g.: house parties).

This would help build our organization's capacity because we have a decent number of members / annual donors, but having small events to keep them engaged throughout the year (and bring in new local members/donors) is something we could benefit from.

1. One way that I could increase our organization's unrestricted gifts is to explain in detail the purpose behind our Urgent Need Fund and why it's important that we have support that is unrestricted.
    2. This will help the organization's capacity because it will allow for more donations to be used where they are needed most. Whether that be a specific project in a specific country, or rent for the building in which we work.
    1. One way that we can increase the organization's amount of unrestricted gifts is by creating specific proposals for donors that will go specifically toward our Urgent Need Fund (Unrestricted Giving).
    2. This will help build capacity because it will provide tools and products for other fundraisers as they work to attain unrestricted gifts.
  • We will create a database of foundations that give unrestricted grants and reach out, also for the first time our organization will conduct an end of year event where our beneficiaries and strategic stakeholders will be compelled to make donations.

1 Reply
  • One way of getting more unrestricted gifts for our organisation is asking big companies around our area. This will help build our organisation's capacity by supporting our projects so that we can have a higher impact in our community

• The one way to increase your the unrestricted funds for my organisation would by collecting membership. The funds collected from membership can be used for capacity development of the staff.

• this is very good

• One way of doing this would be by holding a "fundraising nonevent." This type of event can be fun and would make all donations given available to the organization. Because the funds would be unrestricted, they could be used toward salaries of key additional personnel, technology to make work more efficient, etc.

• That database would be very valuable to your organization and others. What do you mean by "will conduct and end of year even where our beneficiaries and strategic stakeholder will be compelled to make donations?" How will they be compelled to do so?

• It encourages learning more

• good idea for work

• In my opinion, he collected the largest number of unrestricted funds, put a small percentage of the donor's amount as a gift and worked to motivate them, the more the percentage of donation increased, the greater the percentage of receiving a gift

• 1- location
    2- fund
    3- Education

• 1- location
    2- fund
    3- Education Module+3+-+Grant+Proposal.pdf

• 1)Motivating donors to give bydescribing specific needs that they can help meet by supporting specific solutions.
    2)Raising unrestricted funds, meaning money that may be targeted for any areas of need, to be determined by the organization.

• 1)Motivating donors to give by describing specific needs that they can help meet by supporting specific solutions.
    2)Raising unrestricted funds, meaning money that may be targeted for any areas of need, to be determined by the organization.

• increasing the number of events that the organization can plan.
    increase the number of volunteers and strategy planning

R
    1 Reply
  • j'ai beaucoup appris

• Le cours est très important

• I will use fundraising events to increase my organization’s amount of unrestricted fund. This will help my organization to financial reserve which will also increase the possibility of getting more funds from donors.

• The course has equipped me with skills on how to raise fund, Many thanks to the Philanthropy University and Dr.Tom

• well
    its sp cool getting new ideas on seeking funds

• Contributions and membership fees from target users. Advocate donors to support and strengthen your organization by providing core funding.

• Each organization should have a key person or working group who is responsible for fundraising.

• The ways in which I can increase my organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts is through memberships and offering the donors something in exchange for the funds.This will build the organizational capacity to impact more lives

• The ways in which I can increase my organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts is through memberships and offering the donors something in exchange for the funds.This will build the organizational capacity to impact more lives

• I guess to boost your unrestricted gifts is through friends of friends, or of the donor.

• One way that I think can lead to my organization in finding unrestricted funds or gifts is by avoiding telling the donors about their support to your organization based on specific donation, because if you specify the kind of support you want to your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another way my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is by organizing fundraising events and funds raised from this will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.

S
    1 Reply
  • I agree with this.

• That's right. Just like Tom said in the course, mentioning the ''other needs and activities" is a great way of
    cover the tracks.

• By leveraging fundraising with close people. Or using the 'other activities " option to cover the restrictions

• The best way is to have some philantropic donors who are always ready to donate because of their self position

1. Make sure we have an effective individual campaign with active social media coverage.
    2. This would increase visibility and access to unrestricted funds.
    1. Make sure we have an effective individual campaign with active social media coverage.
    2. This would increase visibility and access to unrestricted funds.

@ThaoTran said in Module 3 Discussion: Proposal Writing:

In Module 3, your assignment was to write a fundraising proposal.

In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What was the most challenging part of writing a fundraising proposal and why?
    2: What is one strategy that you will use when writing fundraising proposals in the future?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

1. the objective was challenging.
    2. make full use of capacity statement
  • The other way of raising an unrestricted funding is by holding of events that are well calculated to bring profit to the organization. Events in the community in which people can have fun and requested to pay entrance fees and donation at their own will.

• Indeed, though great care must be exercised to ensure the benefits the members enjoy are not at the expense of the development of the organization.

• Create events to fundraise

1. Way of increasing unrestricted gifts- Organize adventure trips like hiking, organize a colour run.
    2. This will help build my organization by providing funds for operational costs
    M
    1 Reply
    1. Way of increasing unrestricted gifts- Organize adventure trips like hiking, organize a colour run.
    2. This will help build my organization by providing funds for operational costs
    K
    2 Replies
  • this a great idea...

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization's unrestricted donation amount?
    R/ Organize some fundraising events that are not restricted, plus community events.
    2: How could this help build the capacity of your organization?
    R/ It could improve the ability to work in a group, to integrate with the community and thus meet potential future donors. And if you're not currently working in an organization, imagine that you are!

• It is true, this type of event that involves more the community could be beneficial to raise more funds of small amounts.

• From the podcast, have learned that, i used use social media to build relationships , build trust and create awareness for my work. Before starting a crowd rd funding, I should ld put all marketing materials ready , map my network and start big!

Post it in the discussion forum.

Read through your peers' posts. Do you have experience implementing one of the best practices or tips that your peer identified? If so, please respond and share an example of how you have implemented it.

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    We recently hosted a luncheon in our new lab, where the board members invited other HNI. The venue was the new lab, and the only expenditure was the catering.

2: How could this help build your organization’s capacity?
    Because these HNI already doated, and they also recommended us with other organisations and individuals.

• The one way I can think of to increase my organization amount of unrestricted gifts is by planning a few small-scale fundraising activities. The event is going to be Ramadan Dinner Party where i will gather people to give us money and be giving good time

In doing this , I will set up a strong committee who will be chaired be someone with good leadership skills. We would set goals and have standard planning strategy. First and foremost, We would have the list and type of people to invite that I know are prospect donors. We will make sure that these people are doubled considering those who may disappoint. But we make sure we get them committed to the program. We will consider the venue that may not cost or probably that can be in-kind space gift. We will ask for other in-kind gifts like donation of drinks, water , snacks among other things. We will ask for in-kind services like decoration of the venue, servers, music, printing of invitation cards etc. We will makeup the once we can not get free. The numbers of the volunteers will be doubled.

Timing for this kind of dinner is very important. It has to be when people are just completed fasting and in festive mood looking for places of relaxation. Tickets will be sold out earlier to get enough people to attend. There will be media jingles. Many activities will be put in place that will make the dinner enjoyable and eventful. We continue update until the event is done.

(b) This will help me build my organisation's capacity by making it known through awareness creation, impressed old donors and getting new donors, have assess to unrestricted gifts that could be used for organization operations (like rent, bills etc) and programs activities. If all well and good , part of the money will be invested, some kept in the bank under cash reserve.

• We expect you to tell us how this adventure trip will look like. Who are your target audience. How are you going to generate the funds. If its more explanatory so that we can learn from you

• Memberships (having patrons) and dinners are ways of increasing my organisation's amount of unrestricted gifts.

B
    1 Reply
  • Everything is fine! The course is positive

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    One way to increase an organization's amount of unrestricted gifts is to initiate Jeffersonian dinners or Giving Circles.

They both would introduce an organization to diverse groups of individual donors which would lead to increase in support and contributions.

• I agree with this! One of my previous organizations struggled with this concept as well. They weren't always receptive to moving out of their silos and branching out into the very community they were designed to help.

• Our organization has not applied for any grants yet. We are solely ran by donations. One way we can increase our unrestricted funds would be to host more fundraising events and make myself more available to discuss the needs of the organization to aid our mission.

• I am trying to think about how I could incorporate memberships into my organization's structure.
    Thank you for this idea.

Have more scholarships given with less specified criteria for recipients or more funds created to use for other things
    around campus.
    More people could see that you don't have to just give money for student scholarships, and that their gifts could be used to benefit the university in other ways.

• Organizing cultural evening where underprivileged communities will perform or open mics where the participants can also perform if they register beforehand. They will have to enter the event by buying a ticket. And there would be small stalls where products made by the communities will be sold in a higher price. The target audience will be mainly expats and senior officials of donor organizations/INGOs/corporations, etc.

• 1: Regular fundraising events that are fun have shown to be a great way to raise funds, also organising fleamarkets and raffles.
    2.- These events could grow bigger and bigger every year, making it sustainable and more profitable for the organisation

• Unrestricted fundraising,This could be achieved by using campaigns,emails to create a fund raising and making it flexible for donors who might not want to make it public in otherwords remotely with the ease of technology this funds are mostly used to cater overheads in the daily running of the organisation

• For me small, unrestricted, and ongoing gifts are good for my organization. Therefore It is important to build the capacity of my organization in terms of planning, advocacy, evaluation and accountability.

1. One way I can increase my organization's unrestricted funds is through some fundraising events that are aimed at raising funds while minimizing the costs of holding such events.
    2. This would help my organizations capacity because we would have funds to fund any of the activities that would help sustain the organization.
  • I like the idea of holding ruffles and sports events to help raise funds for an organization. I once conducted a similar event by making some cookies that were sold during the fundraising event and we charged people to participate and a small fee to enter. It really worked wonders as we had a good turn-out and we only failed by not making it an annual event.

• One way to raise unrestricted funds could be to hold a raffle with donated items where the ticket price goes towards general funds for the organization. In doing so, staff and other bills can be paid.

• One way to ensure that you get unrestricted gifts is by making sure that you get small gifts from individual donors or small businesses. This will help you to have operational budget that you can use to fund budgets likes salaries and travel cost that other large donors may not be willing to pay

• restricted support or funds are monies set aside for a particular purpose, while unrestricted funds may be used for any legal process.

Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising money from a large number of people.

• Membership payments and regular monthly or quarterly donations

• This has actually been the toughest part of the course for me, there was a lot of information to take in

• One exciting thing I've learnt is Fund raising. I think this would be a very key tool for raising unrestricted funding... I remember we once did such with my team were we offered to braid hair for students at a lesser price ... We need to get back some more into this and improve....

This would help my organisation run our day to day activities effectively without having to depend on some mystery money in the sky, but we would have planned and raised the money ourselves

• Absolutely... Infact try organising and Funds Fun Fair

• I work in the fundraising department of an international organization, our individual program is pretty recent and just starting hence some of the ideas from this course will be really helpful. One challenge we seem to be facing is our perception in people's eyes. Being a large organization and being based in a lower-developed country we're often asked why we need to ask for money since we are already established.

Having said that we have a few initiatives going what we can add is establishing our pyramid solidly with small, unrestricted gifts, especially from small and medium-sized businesses. There are many of them in my country and if we find the correct message to target them I'm sure they would contribute. I also plan to suggest holding some small-scale events once or twice a year to help us solidify our individual giving base

A
    K
    2 Replies
  • setting up events that will not only bring funds but create relationship with the donors.

• One way I might be able to increase my organization's unrestricted funds is through holding a fundraising event and making a call for donations.

• These are creative ideas.

• well, I believe expanding our budgets i.e asking for more will help shape our capacity and also establishing a working relationship with our donors/funder to see what we do and how we do things.

A
    1 Reply
    1. I can increase my organisation unrestricted funds by starting up a membership program and also organising fundraising events.
    2. I will make the event to be more of a Net income than a Gross income in order to provide benefit for my organisation and will also give me a competitive advantage and increase reserve.
    R
    1 Reply
  • I strongly agree with you.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.