Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• nice and great

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 3 was not true because my whole life, I thought that donor is volunteer who grant money without any personal demand... But if we get something, we give back as well... It's a mutual relationship...đź‘Ť

Y
    1 Reply
  • I found interesting myth #3 "In fundraising, one person gives and another receives." Once the myth was debunked I can now see how it is a give-give relationship. And if tied to myth #1 on cash, it makes total sense. The cycle is about generating value to all those involved. One question I have is on myth #5: if an organization is just beginning its work and does not have many stories to tell what would you recommend to complement also scarce statistics and facts.

Y
    E
    2 Replies
  • I was most surprised that myth 2 was not true because I always thought tan rich people were the key to raise money.

Y
    1 Reply
  • The 7 myths of fundraising was an eye opener to how and where funding can actually can be achieved. I was surprised that it was not stories of your achievement and successes mattered more than statistics.
    knowing that fundraising was not all about getting cash but also includes IN-KIND GIFTS

Y
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Mhizola, I am glad you do now. This shows how revealing the fundraising course is.

• Course Facilitator

@Aciji, I am glad you know better now as you stated above.

• Course Facilitator

@GracoParedes, that is an interesting and thought provoking question you have in the latter part of your submission. In such an instance, you could tell the potential donor how your cause will impact the lives of the beneficiary positively: you envisage the outcome of your cause if successfully implemented, and with all you have put in place to make it work, you narrate how the beneficiary will benefit.

• Course Facilitator

@alihamza5579, I am glad you have come to terms with the knowledge of the myth.

• Course Facilitator

@AnaLau, well now you know better that anyone can donate to a cause once the fellow is convinced to do so. And not necessarily the rich being the only ones to donate to a cause.

• Course Facilitator

@goldenayacorp, though your assertion is true, it isn't entirely so. Your network must not only be limited to the working class, but all who can support your cause.

• I was most surprised to learn that listening to donors is more important than 'bombing' them with tons of stories about our organisation. This helps create confidence.
    Also the part about we need to be careful about accepting in-kind donation we don't need is important. We don't want to end up using lot of space for things that we don't need in the first place.

I also love the list of work need to be done with team effort. Fundraising is exhausting and sometimes there is not enough credit to the labor behind it.

Y
    1 Reply
  • I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I thought that donors would want to put their donations into organizations that they know very well. This definitely helps to restructure the way we have been writing proposals that seek funding.

• I had also believed that online fundraising was very different than the traditional method. In certain ways it is, however, the basic principles appear to be the same, which kind of surprised me. You don't physically meet the donor but you do interact with them, so in that sense, it is the same.

Y
    1 Reply
  • To the great extent, I have always believed that you should always explain about your organization and your project when you have a conversation with a donor than what i have learnt today. Myth number 4 got me startled.

Apart from that Myth number 5 that truths and statistics are what matters also stood out for me, I have always believed in putting out the graphs and mentioning figures than narrating the stories to the donor.

Y
    1 Reply
  • Absolutely! We're working on expanding our network to find more people from who would like to support our cause.

Y
    1 Reply
  • Definetely number 4 suprised me the most.

Y
    E
    2 Replies
    1. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.

This is the most enlightening one for me till now, cause it's not easy for me to know what should I tell, and what is not necessary

Learned a lot with this module and all your comments

Y
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator
  • Course Facilitator

You just nailed it @roncryer.

• Course Facilitator

@LovemoreBanda, well you know better no; storytelling for fundraising is the surest way to go.

• Course Facilitator

All the best in your endeavor @goldenayacorp.

• Course Facilitator

Can you please share a little of what surprises you about the myth number 4 with us @edaputgul.

• Course Facilitator

@proyectosimama, I am happy you acknowledged learning a lot from the myths. I hope you carry the knowledge along with you wherever you go.

• I would have assumed that the donors would like to know as much as possible about the project or the oganization that they are going to fund, before they make that decision. @Yoofiquansah

• Help me to have an more critical view of fundraising.

• These are all myths I unknowingly held. Thanks God, they are now dispelled.

• I had always believed that statistics were most important in fundraising campaigns. Tom makes is clear that stories have a better impact. In addition, I thought fundraising on Internet is totally different.

• Based on myth 4 I was reminded that active listening is important in prospect donor engagement

• I was surprise to know that You shouldn't always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible, i had thought its a platform to market yourself as much as possible

• I was convinced that the myth n. 5. was true. I used to give statistics and pitches, but I will try now to change perspective/strategy and see how it works.

B
    1 Reply
  • Initially I was convinced of the bellow myths:

1. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    2. When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.
  • Myth No 2: changing mindset with regards to reaching out to everyone despite their level of income. Also the iimportance of personal stories with regards to beneficiaries. This makes the cause more relatable,

B
    1 Reply
  • I was surprised to learn that myth 2 was not true because my expectation was, that people would donate if they are able to and have enough money, but I was wrong. Each person can make a difference.

• Two myths really stood out to me were #3 and #6. Myth 3 - One person gives and one receives. I need to focus more on the donor partnering with us instead of maintaining or moving us forward with their donation. I understand it because when I give I feel like I have participated and been a part of something bigger. With Myth #6 - The fundraising loner. I have tried fundraising alone too often and I get burnt out. After completing the assignment it was easy to see how big a net we can cast if I bring others (co-workers at least) alongside to work with me. I need to be asking, "Who do you know that I need to know?" That's a John Maxwell question and I think it really applies to fundraising.

• Yes, I agree. Going to those that have money seems easy but they are asked so often while to less wealthy have the valuable asset of time, talent and money

• I do too but I admit I remember stories a lot longer than I do statistics.

• My understanding is that donors respond best to compelling stories. If you think your goal is to communicate as much as possible about your organization, you are likely to "lose the forest for the trees" -- you are likely to leave the potential donor with a less compelling narrative than you could have delivered if you had stayed focused on the key elements of the story you wanted to communicate...

• I was a little surprised (though perhaps I shouldn't have been) by the ways in which the internet has not changed fundraising. On reflection, it makes sense that the basics for successful fundraising are still the same.

• Yes! I think it is so easy to not listen to potential donors. But the connection is more important.

• I was very interested in the discussion of the internet. I hadn't really thought that much about how that has changed/not changed fundraising strategies, and would like to think more about that.
    I was also a bit surprised that the myth of "you need to know rich people" was just a myth; in the end it seems like it's only partially a myth, and that you do need to know people who know rich people. What role might smaller donors play in that scenario?

• As i was almost aware about all of the given myths, i didnt find anything new or surprising here, but the points were all put forth in an orderly manner which we find it easier to remember, recall and filter the unwanted as well

• I was surprised that numbers and statistics (myth 5) weren't the most important aspect because I assumed that it 'legitimizes' the request for assistance. Dispelling myth 4 was quite a shock as well for the same reason as myth 5.

• I was mostly surprised with myth 4 and 5. As a Foundation working with children we always get so carried away to make sure our potential donors know the enormous work strain we have to deal with on a daily basis, 365 years a day! Because of this, we make sure everyone knows that all the money we continue to ask for is because of the expensive costs that goes behind this operation which never stops, and has not stopped for the past thirty years. And it is precisely that when we get carried away, we forget that we need to touch base more on what our donors like, their interests, and connections that would actually interest them, beyond the boring statistics (what some have perceived as in the past). But that is when I ask, how can we make sure we can still keep the donor informed with the immense strain we have on a daily basis with helping so many children with so many different conditions, and still manage to connect with them. We have throughout the years always kept in mind the success stories, which we luckily have and that are incredibly inspiring, but we still struggle to find some balance within all of this story telling, asking, and crowdfunding process.

• I have gained much confidence through simple techniques of raising funds that I have gained in this module.

• Fundraiser is all about transaction

• I knew that stories matter more than statistics, but I had not appreciated the extent this was so. What makes this difficult is because from experience, most donors that I have worked with seem to put so much emphasis on statistics, such that sometimes it ends up being like a ticking box exercise. There is very little investment from donors in the recipient of funds telling stories. So this TRUTH that stories often matter more than statistics was very welcome.

• I think No. 2 was the most surprising to me because I never realized that ordinary people could become a donor.

• While it is interesting to learn about the myths, I am not sure I fully agree with all the points.

Eg. statistics are as important as the stories. If it is just stories, does not reflect the organisations work and its works wider impact. But again, it depends on individual values and objectives of the donor

A great fundraiser is an individual superstar- While it is comforting to learn any determined human being can be a great fundraiser, it takes less effort for a determined superstar to raise more funds in less time. We can take an example of social media influences, famous personalities.

Also, in some contexts I believe there is a giver and a receiver. As per my experience, often it is the donor which has an upper hand.

• This myth also caught my attention, most of the times we underestimate the support we can get can get from people around us.

• I was most surprised about not telling your donor as much as possible. When I think about Tom's reasoning behind this statement, it makes sense, but it the past my mindset was to tell them as much as possible so they understand your platform. The transition to connecting what you talk to people about to their individual interests makes a lot of sense. People are more likely to invest in something they are individually passionate about.

• I agree with this Selama! In my experience donors are extremely interested in statistics and data that reflect success because it is so concrete. They often want to know specifics about numbers and how their donation helped to attain those numbers.

• Myth 4 surprised me the most because I always thought you need to do as much as you can, to present your organization, helping the donor see how the work you are doing is in line with their interest and making them see why your organization is suitable for their funding. I thought you need to do all to sell the work you do.

• I too was more than awed by that myth 2 of fundraising

• I was also surprised about Myth No. 2! I liked how the lecturer gave a clear insight regarding the issue

• I am new to professional fundraising, to be honest the 7 myths looked to true to me and they have enhanced the little fundraising skills I had. They have even motivated me to complete the course.

• Myth number 4 surprised me because in the past when my team has written a grant proposal or met with a funder, the goal was always to get as much information in as possible. Now I realize that it would be more effective to research more about the funder beforehand and structure the application around their interests and goals while also providing space to get to know them on a more personal level to create that connection.

• I was most surprised by myth #2 because knowing rich people does give some kind of advantage. I look forward to learning about how to not get caught up in that myth and focus more on reaching out to the general audience.

• I was so surprise to learn about myth 4. I have always thought that the more and longer you tell about your organisation and what you do is the way to get funding. Now I know better.

• @JuniorObonyo said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because I have always thought that statistics and facts are the only things that donors look for in proposal. One question I have about myth 4 is how is that telling less of your organization better ? .

While statistics & facts would give credibility to the organization, it would be powerful stories that would draw people to the cause. I have seen how important all of these are to gain traction to the programme & also secure donors.

J
    1 Reply
  • Greetings!
    I was really surprised to learn that myth 4 wasn't true: because, I had always believed that, a way of persuading donors to give to your cause was to tell them as much as possible about your your vision and organisation.
    Now I clearly understand that, purely sharing information that aligns with the interests of the potential donor is what really matters.
    I would love to ask, how do I access a list of international donors that can give to a major humanitarian cause??

• MYTH 4 : I was surprised that "You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible" I thought providing more information about your organization to the donor is key

• I already had some knowledge on some of these myths, but the one that surprised me the most was n. 4!

• I was surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true. I now believe that cash is not the only purpose of fundraising.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I assumed that they wanted to know as much as possible from my organization and project.

• I actually thought it was all about the organization receiving but I know better now

• It is hard to believe that myth 7 is not ture. The internet has changed every aspect of everything. It has to have changed fundraising in some ways.

• I was surprised to know more about myth#4.and knowing that You need to hear and understand the donor's story more than telling your story. Donors and people in general like to talk about themselves.

• I was not surprised by any of these seven myths. I just liked how they was explained and how they was presented by Tom Wolf. What is more messing for me in this first module is how to consider this realities when it’s about to respond to a call for project where the donors specified more precisely what is are the criteria’s for selecting the project they want to fund.

• Great information, thank you !

• In fact this module is very deep in meaning, I have been making a lot of mistakes in fundraising.
    I have really learnt much .
    Myth 2 is a very shocking to me because I always thought fundraising is by knowing only rich people.

• I was also surprised by myth 4. I've always thought that giving a lot information about the organization was a key fact.

• Agree. Many NGOs don't even think about thanks because it's expensive but in long term is tha best.

• I am cleared now about fundraising. I used to think fundraising is for business people too in order to make money, this is a myth. Fundraising is about soliciting support to help disadvantaged people or to provide a solution to a particular problem existing or plan to exist without a personal gain

• Myth number three.... the statement one person gives and another receives - seemed correct to me until further into the study when I realize it is so much more than that...and surprisingly we had already disproved that in our own day to day operations.
    Every one of our donors receives a thank you for their gift along with a story about how their gift impacted the life of someone in need. It lets the donor know their gift was appreciated and important and how someone's life was changed...the reason they gave in the first place!

• For me, the myth that "You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible" caught my attention as I earlier assume that giving as much as possible narration about your WHY and WHAT in the pitch deck is essential.

• i am surprised by myth 1 and 2 because i initially thought that fundraising is all about mobilizing for resources that will help meet your cause but now when Tom tells us that is all about cash i remain surprised. for myth 2 i though when very many not rich and rich people give generously what they can, when put together can push meet your financial goal but when i hear that fundraising is all about knowing rich people i remain surprised.

• I have really learnt a lot from this module.Most of the questions I had about fundraising has been answered.

• I have really learnt a lot from this module.Most of the questions I had about fundraising has been answered.

• I also thought so until I took this course

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because before now I have the notion that fundraising is all about money(receiving only cash from donors) not until now that I have learnt about ''The 7 Myths of Fundraising'' that I know that though money is the most obvious form of support but fundraising could be in form of people donating their time, manufactured goods, food etc. which simply means donation in Kind. One question I have about myth 3 is that, how is it applicable to an NGO because my understanding is that an NGO is a charitable organization which only gives to the society but in this Module, we were taught that one person gives while the other receives in other words, it is a purchase and sale involving exercise. Please I need more light on this.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because I assumed that you wanted to educate and try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible so that the donor has all the information needed to make the decision to donate to your organization. One question I have about myth 6 is how do you build a team so that there is not just one individual “superstar” fundraiser?

• I never knew, I thought only donor give but myth number three revealed to me that fundraising is a transaction in which each side gives something to the other, relationship is taking major role here.

• i am surprised by myth 1 and 2 because i initially thought that fundraising is all about mobilizing for resources that will help meet your cause but now when Tom tells us that is all about cash i remain surprised. for myth 2 i though when very many not rich and rich people give generously what they can, when put together can push meet your financial goal but when i hear that fundraising is all about knowing rich people i remain surprised.

• I found this module 1 is really helpful and I have learned a lot of myths that people are assuming about fundraising. I think the myth number 4 is a tricky and difficult one to practice because most of us will want to talk about ourselves, so it is easy to make a mistake when we don't let the donor or don't know the way to encourage them to talk about them. Instead, we often talk about what we have done or what good parts when donors donate. Therefore, I think myth number 4 is very important for me to keep in mind. While myth number 7 seems easy to take, but hard to inform as well because what I see in front of my eyes is that yes, internet has changed the way people do fundraising, but look more deeply the main core still remain. Thank you so much.

• Providing clarity around these 7 myths by Tom's enables one to embark on a fundraising exercise with greater confidence. The shared work-arounds greatly contribute to enlighten a simple process that would assist small organizations and other involved parties in securing support for community oriented projects, often ignored by "institutional" classic donors.

• I always thought fundrising was all about knowing rich people , this module has taught me otherwise.
    It can be started from family and friends.

• Knowing the projects is important, this way you will know that you support and get more involved in the project.

Y
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@dahernandez, you have made the right assertion. The importance of the project would always warrant the right attitude towards its execution.

• Course Facilitator

@dahernandez, you have made the right assertion. The importance of the project would always warrant the right attitude towards its execution.

• I was most surprised with myth five that when you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter. I am gland that the module enlightened me to include stories, mostly related to what the target donor does. I would also like to as why donation of "in kind" items is considered as "fund" raising.

• Myth 5 was a great lesson to me too. I think telling less of your organization is good to avoid diverting from the interests of the donor. It also gives you enough time to listen to donors and know how to finetune your fundraising documents and processes to match the donor's interests.

• I had a genuine belief that numbers and statistics are more reasonable and logic than telling storey, now I knew that is completely wrong

• I once believed that myth 2 was the only way of fundraising but through this course I have been able to learn and know that you don't have to know rich people to be an effective fundraiser.

• Fundraising is more than getting cash but can also be inform of donated items and in-kind gifts

• I was excited to read myth number 5. I've always known that numbers and statistics were important to show growth, but it also got me thinking "How often are those numbers and statistics updated?". In my mind, that aspect is important. Say, someone has been following and donating to your organization for two years. The first year they think "Those numbers are impressive" but the next year they see the numbers and they are exactly the same as the previous year, it may leave the donor questioning what how their donation is helping.

• Myth number three.... the statement one person gives and another receives - seemed correct to me until further into the study when I realize it is so much more than that...and surprisingly we had already disproved that in our own day to day operations.
    Every one of our donors receives a thank you for their gift along with a story about how their gift impacted the life of someone in need. It lets the donor know their gift was appreciated and important and how someone's life was changed...the reason they gave in the first place!

• Great insights here, i always thought fundraising was a one sided type of giving. I thought it was all about one person giving, and another person recieving but i have learned that every one is actually having something to give. The donor gives money, the organization gives them an opportunity to change lives and make the world a better place to be.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.