Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• This module taught me the power of partnership in advocacy since on organization cannot have all it takes to influence its targeted audience

• Partnership is key for successful advocacy

• This module also taught me that advocacy is persistent and continuous because administration keep changing with different agendas

W
    1 Reply
  • The two case stories brought out the importance of mission-oriented design of an NGO project, together with the "as if" attitude that allows an advocate to approach the context and the situation in terms of disability of the change and the importance of diversified and wide-spread partnerships, both on a logistical level to face unexpected challenges and and/or to merge resources once the purpose of the project leads to it, and also for the perspective of the advocacy, because not everyone can speak to every type of audience, and some partners might be able to reach where your advocacy cannot reach.

• this module has emphasized on importance of partnership since advocacy is not a one handed thing but it requires partnership for it to be successful and this will accelerate the advocacy process.it has been a good session

S
    W
    2 Replies
  • This module have encouraged more with organizations in partnering and working as a team to emphasize on importance.

W
    1 Reply
  • Exactly,the importance of diversified and wide-spread partnerships, both on a logistical level to face unexpected challenges amongst others

• This module has been a good gesture that the organizations need to partner and work as a team so that they can help each other achieve their set goals

• And also partnership being a key to success

• Choosing the best advocacy strategy based on the target audience is key in achieving your goals.

• Well explained.. thanks for this

• lessons i learnt that you can always do something alone and achieve it also need partnership at least achieve what you want.

W
    1 Reply
  • It is very important for NGOs to critically analyse their objectives and possible challenges so they can know exactly which organisations they can partner with if they have to successfully overcome the problems and achieve their advocacy goals.

• This module has put more emphasis on partnership which is key

• Doing something alone in advocacy can't reach your target easily. You need to involve other departments that aims the same goal

E
    1 Reply
  • And also how to maintain momentum in advocacy work

• These case studies have broken down everything for me and has made it easier to understand the Advocacy process much better

• Partnership and alliance are very important in advocacy. Without, we are not only at a very high risk but also there may be an ambiguity that we are working for who? Personal interests or public goods?

S
    1 Reply
  • These two points are worth pondering on as we engage in advocacy:

1. Questions to ask in getting things done*
    • What's actually standing in the way of what we're trying to achieve?
    • Who has the power to give us what we want?
    • Who specifically has decision making authority?
    • What will it take to challenge that person or those people to stop doing what they're doing and start doing what we want them to do?
    1. Types of policy makers
    • Ignorant
    • Knowledgeable but refusing to act
    • Knowledgeable but acting in the wrong direction
    M
    1 Reply
  • This module has thought on partnership in other to attain a set goal

• It brings perspective into choosing the right partners.

• You adequately summated this module

• I believe that partnership n advocacy is an important consideration when trying to create campaigns that you want to succeed. In our last module we learned that one organisation cannot address every issue by themselves and may not be the most qualified to address them. Conclusion: if you want to succeed, you must use the right tools at your disposal.

• It is true that some partners can not be reached so easily hence forth we have to meet all stakeholders, such as community leaders, civil society, religious leaders, influential people from government such as ministers in order to make our mission so easy.

• I found Module 4 to be extremely helpful to my understanding of how dimensions/aspects of advocacy really play out in existing organizations. Three things stand out in terms of impact: (1) Effective advocacy encompasses having the right group (set of experts) speaking to the right audience (those decision makers in a position to effect change). (2) It is very important to remain mission focused throughout the entire advocacy process but also knowing when the mission is accomplished, so that it is possible to transition either out of the work or transform the mission to reach beyond the original goal(s). (3) As many of my peers have indicated, it is the follow-through and implementation of the hard fought wins that are essential tools necessary for the ultimate achievements of interim and final outcomes.

• Partnering with other organizations help to speed the process.

• We need to make sure that we understand the module and that we take action

• I really enjoyed the module on Partnerships. It is important to remember: no one organization can do everything. It is important to identify your organization's strengths and weaknesses and then partner with other organizations that shore up your organization's weaknesses.

• One of the things I liked was that the woman from Health GAP mentioned for many organizations, the ultimate goal should actually be to not have to exist anymore. If we are truly successful in our work, we will solve the problems we are addressing (for the most part) and can hand off the work to other people, or shift directions. I think many organizations do work that keeps themselves busy, but does not set them up for ultimate success, which would mean the eventual dissolution of the organization.

• Good one I agree with you!

• Good one I agree with you!

• The lesson I learned from this module is that for our advocacy to be successful, we must unite with the associations that share our struggle. Partnership is an effective way to convince and be heard.

E
    1 Reply
  • Yes, very true. Partnership is a major key in advocacy

• When dealing with a complex situation like this,I think partnership would help

E
    1 Reply
  • @ewegbemig said in Module 4 Discussion: Lessons from the Experts:

When dealing with a complex situation like this,I think partnership would help
    Apart from making work more easier it also speeds up the process

• I agree with you

• It cut the long process

K
    1 Reply
  • This has been quite an interesting module. It’s helped me understand with actual success stories the focused advocacy strategies and the crucial role of proper partnerships. The Health GAP case is impressive in showcasing how multiple tactics and strategies helped them progress throughout the years towards the goal they set up many years ago. While there were many milestones, it teaches not to slow down halfway through the marathon when it seems you are winning. I have to quote two takeaways that really impressed me from HG:

• “If we had not been able to frame the moral necessity of a world different than that, then we would have lost. And that sort of tenacious, stubborn and also creative commitment to making things happen is the difference between success and failure in these kinds of campaigns.”

• “I think if I have to summarize the trajectory of this story, it would be that first Health GAP mapped out a series of smart insider outsider strategies. Everything from civil disobedience, challenging extremely powerful officials within the US government and other governments, to drafting legislation, to high profile meetings with those same officials, to massive grassroots mobilization in communities in the US and around the world.”

• this module has indicated very well the importance of partnership. It will be hard to get the needed changes without partnership. Both cases were good example showing the importance of partnership in advocacy.

• Yes, it is! Advocacy is not easy job. Looks all the strategy, change theory. If you failed in one then there is several option is open. The 4th module is very much practical.

• Obviously, it is for mankind. But if your interest must with it. If you have no cordiality with your activity, in a sense it is one kind of meaningless.

• I liked the Health Gap case studies! What a pretty tough job for them to change most powerful administration to steps down from their decision.

As a development worker, there is no scope to work without partnership. It is a great tools to achieve challenge. I have very good experience on partnership! I saw, partnership make win win situation for number of parties! Now a days, the most common advocacy tools is partnership.

• Partnership contribute to urge success by covering individuals weakness.

• When doing advocacy work:

Be prepared to wade through murky unchartered waters.
    Be ready to face opposition and political hurdles.
    Gains made could easily be diluted by setbacks such as lackluster implementation.

Focus, resilience and partnerships are important.

• When doing advocacy work:

Be prepared to wade through murky unchartered waters.
    Be ready to face opposition and political hurdles.
    Gains made could easily be diluted by setbacks such as lackluster implementation.

Focus, resilience and partnerships are important.

• It is clear that choosing/identifying the audience (stakeholder) to target with your advocacy efforts is a key step in moving everything forward

• Partnership like the experts said is " a life blood of effective partnership" No organisation can do it alone especially with a complex theory of change

• This module has emphasized alot of things to put into consideration for a successful advocacy and also successful outcome. Some include:-
    The need to assess evidence before you address the problem.
    The fact that advocacy doesn't need to be done alone , but rather activists can work together with organizations to achieve success.
    It also emphasizes the effectiveness of partnership in advocacy work. These can all lead to a great outcome.

• This module has also emphasized the importance of partnering with other organizations so as to accelerate the process of moving toward the intended impact.

• partnership plays a key role in working between two organisation

• partnership plays a key role in working between two organisation

• the course brings in room to explore more on advocacy and gives more knowledge

• This module showed the importance of recognizing the current political context and how to act with it or against it. In the two cases provided, Health GAP acted against the system while WIEGO adopted both acting against the system and also going with it. This shows that approach on your audience should be best optimized to get the best results for your advocacy.

Y
    1 Reply
  • It was very eye opening & even I could connect myself, because we also working o the Legal Entitlements for the Irular Tribal People from the Chengelpet Region, Tamil Nadu, India, Asia. Sometimes they couldn't able to access to their basic needs since they don't have any Identity Proofs for Living & Existing. Hence its typical working against the government officials. Procrastination is the only defense mechanism they used to guarding...

But my dear faculties taught as how to work, like 1. We should stand along with them whenever they needed us and also 2. We should file RTI (Right To Information Act) for collecting information and later arm twisting them to work for the welfare of the people.

• Yeah I agree but its not easy as the long process I think so...

• And instead of Waste Pickers in India we use Rag-Pickers... is it making any difference??? or different dimension of work?

• In Simple Words by referring Social Work Methods she saying...

Community Organization (Direct Method) & Social Action (Indirect Method) are the best methods of Social Works assisting to bring any sort of results & outcome in short period...

• Learnings really well rooted with deeper experiences even the examples also quite easy to understood...

• Activism and partnership has done a big role in the case studies and this shows that in advocacy expertise of different fields is necessary. Advocacy can be achieved by promoting collective effort. applying the advocacy strategy which help to understand the type of audience you are dealing, really yield the planned change. Informal workers were first involved in awareness that made them to have the will and take an action that made them to be considered public service providers.

• This module has showed how advocacy is a powerful tool if the correct steps are implemented. How lives that were being lost could be saved globally within a specified period of time

• This module has showed how advocacy is a powerful tool if the correct steps are implemented. How lives that were being lost could be saved glogally within a specified period of time

• Partnership contributes a big role in an organization. I believe that ''two heads are better than one". In an organization, collaboration of ideas will help meet the organizational goals. Merging two different people, organization, etc. with different capabilities, knowledge, strength and expertise leads to the best output and result.

• The importance of partnership and realizing that not all organization have all the capacities and skills to make advocacy work successful and must partner as well as contribute in collective action to reach goals.

• Identifying interim outcomes are necessary because monitoring the results of your advocacy work can be impossible and vague as often you have other groups and organization joining or working against your advocacy efforts and it is also vulnerable due to sudden changes in the environment. Advocacy work is also a long process in which more tangible outcomes may occur after the project is over with or due to the socio-political situation, the best result you can hope for is to prevent a certain event from happening (prevention a policy from being passed). Therefore measuring interim outcomes is more realistic and effective.

Y
    1 Reply
  • The most aspect for me was identifying strategic partners able to do what your organisation can't.

• A key lessons is that one organization can not do everything on their own. The role of partnerships for effective advocacy can thus not be understated. Partnership remains a prerequisite for advocacy and must be well planned and well managed.

• Well analyzed. To add to that the module brought out the strength and weakness of various tactics as it relates to different organizations and different society.

• So true and eye opener.

• This journey was joy unspeakable.

• I learnt the importance of partnership. As an organization, you need the support of other organizations that has the same like minds with you have to identify them and work simultaneously with them in most cases to achieve your goals.

• This module has really shown the importance of partnership in advocacy. Not necessarily with other NGOs, but with other firms that are passionate about a similar cause.

• Dear Simone,
    You are absolutely right on the two assertions you made.
    That amazing results cannot be achieved without partnerships is quite critical for social organizations to understand.

Thank you,
    Abayomi Oyelami
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative
    Nigeria

• Gee-Min,

You are very right on the point made about measuring interim outcomes. This is especially true in cases of advocacy efforts which often take a long time to achieve. This would also provide motivation to keep up with the work.

Great work, Lee

Abayomi Oyelami,
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative,
    Nigeria

• Dear Andrew,

You pointed out a key aspect of advocacy which is looking at the political context. We all need to really understand the political context of the society where we want to exert impact.

Thumbs up.

Abayomi Oyelami,
    Content Creator,
    Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative,
    Nigeria

• thanks for all your information

• thanks for all your information it was a good learning experience

• There is an adage by a grate man, I quote: if you want to go fast go alone , if you want to go far go with someone.
    One will chase a thousand, two will chase ten thousand.
    Advocacy partnership will bring synergy, synergy will bring a robust team work who will eventually lead to result.

Team Lead DCF
    Olawale Ajiboye

• I consider that this module really highlights the importance of internal teamwork and also the support of other organizations and that to achieve the objectives they have they can also suggest external help from other groups and institutions.

• I learned a coupe of different things from this module. I learned sometimes one has to address many other topics and try to change them before they can even address the original issue they wanted to change. I also learned how important partnerships are in advocating.

• I like this module. I think the points made with the assistance of real scenarios were helpful. I do find that there needed to be more focus on the in between stages of advocacy work, however. Having a mission oriented strategy is key, as discussed, but if an organization or team focuses too much on the end goal, they may skip crucial steps in the middle and at the start, making the project more difficult than if the proper steps had been designed.

• I think that diversified and wide-spread partnerships allow accomedating to different needs of the process which then offer response that does not distract other efforts

• I found the content and the learning experiences very interesting.

• Issues with experts advice as that it is only valid to their own org', as some org's are playing by a different set of rulles, and then attempt to apply " expert adivce from others could end up with a termination or abuse.

• Very useful module

• In this module, the importance of activism as an advocacy strategy and the ability to form partnerships with other organizations depending on time of need are all important key tactics of effective advocacy.

• i learnt the importance of having an endurance objective and sticky to it and the importance of partnership in advocacy

• This module had clearly reveal and shows us that, Focus and not straying away from one first vision is a very important tools for a successful advocating.... Also, for every advocating, there is need to have plans to carry it to the next generations, which bring us to partnership. As for me, I see partnership in two dimensions, 1. Vertical and 2. Horizontal.
    Vertical partnership is when you partner with body with similar goals and vision at your present time, working together in order to archive the goals together bringing a win - win kind of, for all parties involved. While,
    Vertical partnership is when you partner with a body who are ready to carry your goals and vision to the next generations, collecting the Barton from you and also continuing at where you stop.
    These two type of partnership has i have defined, I believe is a good tools that will not only help advocacy but will also help take it to the next generations.
    Let us also not forget the fact that it is also important to have a working strategies to be continuously relevant with every political powers even though they are not always constant. My point here is that even when the political regime had been change, let us not change in our focus and goals but however be relevant to every regime having a working strategies to always get to them for them to continue at wherever the previous regime had stopped. All this I saw that we have learnt in this module and of course, develop more on ourselves.
    Thanks.

• This module had clearly reveal and shows us that, Focus and not straying away from one first vision is a very important tools for a successful advocating.... Also, for every advocating, there is need to have plans to carry it to the next generations, which bring us to partnership. As for me, I see partnership in two dimensions, 1. Vertical and 2. Horizontal.
    Vertical partnership is when you partner with body with similar goals and vision at your present time, working together in order to archive the goals together bringing a win - win kind of, for all parties involved. While,
    Vertical partnership is when you partner with a body who are ready to carry your goals and vision to the next generations, collecting the Barton from you and also continuing at where you stop.
    These two type of partnership has i have defined, I believe is a good tools that will not only help advocacy but will also help take it to the next generations.
    Let us also not forget the fact that it is also important to have a working strategies to be continuously relevant with every political powers even though they are not always constant. My point here is that even when the political regime had been change, let us not change in our focus and goals but however be relevant to every regime having a working strategies to always get to them for them to continue at wherever the previous regime had stopped. All this I saw that we have learnt in this module and of course, develop more on ourselves.
    Thanks.

• From the previous modules, we were introduced to the importance of partnerships in effective advocacy. In Module four, the examples provided by the two case studies, made the concept even more clearer. There is no single organisation that can achieve effective advocacy working alone. However, the partnerships involved must be selected strategically for successful advocacy.

I have also learnt that staying focused on your mission, coupled with the other tactics regardless of the day to day challenges, can lead to a successful advocacy strategy.

• This module has also emphasized the importance of partnering with other organisations so as to accelerate the process of moving toward the intended impact.

• creating a coalition or consortium is always effective and brings the change needed in any context. the example of WIEGO is a very good one.

• Agreed,but also the persistent to work even if the big achievement has been made has been highlighted in this module.This is critically important because in most cases when achievements have been made there is a tendency of relaxing and celebrating success.

• I think it is important to focus on the objectives and ensure than they are not compromised. Identifying partners in the area from community to decision making bodies and volunteers is relevant to achieve in a considerable short time. Taking note of the challenges and opportunities should also be considering in advocacy.

• I have learned a lot about the importance fo partnerships

• I struggled with this module because there were no readings.

• Advocacy requires a lot of tact, learning (research), partnership, capacity and lobying skills.

• This modul has demonstrate the importance of networking in the erea of NGO

• genial course

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.