Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• The importance of understanding the type of political environment that your organisation operates goes a long way to determine your advocacy approach.

• Effectively addressing social issues requires contextualizing advocacy approaches, delving into root causes, and understanding perspectives. Inclusivity, involving those directly affected, enables a nuanced understanding, and facilitates targeted, sustainable solutions. This approach ensures marginalized communities' voices are heard, fostering holistic and empathetic advocacy for meaningful and lasting change.

• Being conscious of the political environment is very important to the advocacy work. This is because it will help in shaping the governance structure of the organization. The political environment is also what allows an enabling environment for the success or otherwise of the advocacy work. Even in the event that the advocacy work is intended to change the political context, there is the need to still understand the political context.

• I agree on understanding the problem we are trying to solve, and knowing the root cause. This will guide the advocacy structure and strategy to use. What we might consider to be a behavioral problem for example teenage pregnancies, could actually be lack of exposure, education and minimal access to basic needs leading to teenagers engaging in sex early. This understanding will guide the advocacy strategy as it will focus on the root cause.

• Inclusitivity of the subject concerned is very vital, thus makes the team lead come out with the best solutions to the defined problems. Otherwise what one thinks is the solution might differ with what is really needed.

• I think we have very few countries in which we have open contexts, where the opinion of stakeholders, NGOs, the constituents are actively sought by the decision-makers, ie politicians. I can only think of one, where there is an active type of direct democracy, where the voters are regularly at the polls to give their opinion on key governmental policies. In my country, the governance is not at all clear. There is a murky line of responsibility. The main taxing governmental body doesn't deliver the bulk of the programs in the areas of education and healthcare, resulting in poor accountability over the use of the public coffers for those sectors. We have to approach various levels of government, because the decision maker is not clearly one or the other level.

• Indeed openness of those in political posts is crucial to achieve better results in Advocacy, but there's few places to find that.

• a lot of countries in the world have facing this kind of political context. but a lot of countries especially underdevelopment countries have this kind of political context of restrictive which leds to many people not rise their voice to share what they have, in which we believe through sharing we can help getting different opinion which will leads to social change. But also think a lot of developed countries have semi open political context which help them to be where they are sometimes. According to that it gives as a hard time to reduce some social problem within the community.

• So true as this could you and the organization to certain risk

• This is absolutely an important factor, because if you do not put into consideration the context of your political environment while adopting advocay policies, you put your organisation and team at a risk.

• I definitely agree with the idea because before delve into advocacy effort understanding the context is very much important to make our advocacy effort effective at the end of the day.

• I am part of an institution in Pará Brazil Amazonia I know how difficult it is to defend rights. Here we fight to guarantee the human rights of children and adolescents who are victims of violence.

• Restrictive delay development in most countries

• Truly advocacy is a powerful tool for creating change, but it requires thoughtful planning. One must understand existing power dynamics and structures related to the cause and also identify who holds power and what your own level of power is. The risk involved and how to manage it is also imperative. So anticipating potential challenges and risks and developing strategies to mitigate the risks is important.

• list item
  • I definitely agree. In my organization, we support libraries in our state. So many of the problems our libraries and library workers face are hotly politicized right now. Whether it's the burden of student loan debt for an advanced degree in an underpaid field or the freedom to practice librarianship in a way that is ethical and in line with best practices in the field. Listening to our library staff reveals not only their individual perspectives on the issue but also the nuances that only front-line workers can see. Knowing this context helps me be more effective in my work, and it helps me discern which problems take priority and which may need to be tabled.

• Yes it is very important to analyse the political environnemental before to undertake advocacy activities, because the political context will help you to set up advocacy strategies.

• A question that stood out for me was, "What is worth advocating for...?" - and it struck a nerve because in my country (Zimbabwe) - the context is (extremely) restrictive - and certain human rights are not valid in the law. For example, medical abortions are criminalized and regardless of the number of abandoned babies and unplanned ("unwanted") pregnancies - the law-makers refuse to acknowledge that there is a need for abortions to be legalized for the health and safety of the women and girls who find themselves in situations where they are forced to become mothers. To add to the problem, the guise of Christianity is used to reinforce the "pro-life" rhetoric, which makes the entire ordeal shameful and people who would want to have safe abortions find themselves alone, ashamed and unsupported.
    I do think it is worth advocating for abortion rights in the country however, I fear that because the religious rhetoric is so prevalent, the advocacy would be hindered by widespread personal philosophies that condemn abortions, on a religious basis.

Another group of vulnerable people in Zimbabwe, are the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual people - they are altogether dismissed and their existence is criminalized - but even worse than that, their existence is largely perceived as disdainful. This, again is based on "culture" and religion. Unfortunately, being closeted and quiet is the only safe way for the community to exist. Being loud and proud will not only attract legal penalties but also public reproof and in some cases violent responses. So, the question of whether it is worth advocating for these rights in Zimbabwe would be no. Buuuuuut.... I would argue as well that, this is exactly the context where advocacy is most desperately needed. The context is restrictive and it would be unsafe, and many would argue that Zimbabwe has more pressing humanitarian issues to address (the unreliable water and electricity supplies, infrastructure and inhumane treatment of prisoners etc.) however, I believe that there is a need for progress and resistance - I commend GALZ and anyone else fighting for visibility in this harsh, harsh context.

• Good work. Marijuana can be used, but it is necessary to have strong regulations to limit the abuse.

• Yes it's important to have an understanding of the political situation and cultural concept of the country your organization is operating in

• Good work. Marijuana can be used, but it is necessary to have strong regulations to limit the abuse.

• The political context is essential for understanding and engaging in advocacy because it shapes the environment in which policies are formulated, decisions are made, and social change occurs. Politics refers to the distribution and exercise of power within a society, and it encompasses the interactions between various actors, such as government institutions, political parties, interest groups, and the general public.

Here are a few reasons why the political context is crucial for advocacy:

Policy-making: Advocacy aims to influence policies and bring about desired changes. Understanding the political landscape helps advocates identify the decision-making processes, key players, and power dynamics involved in shaping policies. It allows them to strategically target their efforts and build alliances to maximize their impact.

Public opinion and support: The political context includes public sentiment and popular opinion, which can significantly influence policy outcomes. Advocacy efforts often rely on mobilizing public support through awareness campaigns, public education, and grassroots organizing. By understanding the prevailing political attitudes and perceptions, advocates can tailor their messages and strategies to resonate with the target audience.

Legal and regulatory framework: Political systems establish the legal and regulatory frameworks within which advocacy operates. Familiarity with laws, regulations, and procedures relevant to the issue being advocated for is crucial for effective advocacy. It helps advocates navigate the system, identify potential barriers or opportunities, and ensure their activities comply with legal requirements.

Power dynamics and interests: Politics involves the distribution of power and competing interests. Advocacy requires an understanding of the power dynamics at play, including the influence of different stakeholders and their agendas. This knowledge helps advocates identify potential allies, opponents, or obstacles to their goals. It also allows them to anticipate and respond to potential resistance or backlash.

Policy implementation and enforcement: Even if advocacy efforts lead to policy changes, the political context remains important during the implementation and enforcement phases. Political will, bureaucratic capacity, and resource allocation are critical factors that affect the successful implementation of policies. Advocates need to stay engaged in the political process to ensure that policies are effectively executed and monitored.

In summary, the political context provides the framework within which advocacy efforts take place. Understanding the political dynamics, policy-making processes, public sentiment, legal frameworks, and power structures is crucial for effective advocacy and achieving the desired outcomes.

• The political context is essential for understanding and engaging in advocacy because it shapes the environment in which policies are formulated, decisions are made, and social change occurs. Politics refers to the distribution and exercise of power within a society, and it encompasses the interactions between various actors, such as government institutions, political parties, interest groups, and the general public.

Here are a few reasons why the political context is crucial for advocacy:

Policy-making: Advocacy aims to influence policies and bring about desired changes. Understanding the political landscape helps advocates identify the decision-making processes, key players, and power dynamics involved in shaping policies. It allows them to strategically target their efforts and build alliances to maximize their impact.

Public opinion and support: The political context includes public sentiment and popular opinion, which can significantly influence policy outcomes. Advocacy efforts often rely on mobilizing public support through awareness campaigns, public education, and grassroots organizing. By understanding the prevailing political attitudes and perceptions, advocates can tailor their messages and strategies to resonate with the target audience.

Legal and regulatory framework: Political systems establish the legal and regulatory frameworks within which advocacy operates. Familiarity with laws, regulations, and procedures relevant to the issue being advocated for is crucial for effective advocacy. It helps advocates navigate the system, identify potential barriers or opportunities, and ensure their activities comply with legal requirements.

Power dynamics and interests: Politics involves the distribution of power and competing interests. Advocacy requires an understanding of the power dynamics at play, including the influence of different stakeholders and their agendas. This knowledge helps advocates identify potential allies, opponents, or obstacles to their goals. It also allows them to anticipate and respond to potential resistance or backlash.

Policy implementation and enforcement: Even if advocacy efforts lead to policy changes, the political context remains important during the implementation and enforcement phases. Political will, bureaucratic capacity, and resource allocation are critical factors that affect the successful implementation of policies. Advocates need to stay engaged in the political process to ensure that policies are effectively executed and monitored.

In summary, the political context provides the framework within which advocacy efforts take place. Understanding the political dynamics, policy-making processes, public sentiment, legal frameworks, and power structures is crucial for effective advocacy and achieving the desired outcomes.

• This is one of the reasons I am taking this course because I have to figure out another avenue for the advocacy group. Something that will positively impact the community.

• Am from Kenya, Political influence in Kenya is worst. Political leader are divided based on individual perception on the problem. It become more worse if the problem is embedded in cultural believes and religious practices.

A
    1 Reply
  • I agree with you and now we are learning tools and skills that should assist us in causing a shift in the way reasoning around us and subsequently behavior.

• Discussing the importance of understanding the political landscape within which advocacy efforts should be conducted. This includes factors such as government structures, political ideologies, power dynamics, and the role of stakeholders.

• This has been a very informative session and i truly agree that understanding the context first is very important in guiding an organization in the process of identifying what strategy to use for what particular problem you are here to solve.

• I agree that the political and social climate is important; however what if these are the very things that we are advocating against ie we want them to change

• Are there any tools that you can use to assess how open or restrictive a system is?

• I am very excited to implement the things i learned into my own organizations advocacy strategy.

• Absolutely agree. Advocacy without considering the voice of the people experiencing the problem is wasted resources.

• One cannot solve the effects of a problem, without solving the problem itself. Not only the hows (mechanics) of an issue, but also the whys.

• There's definitely a relationship between advocacy and politics! Advocacy is all about influencing change and making your voice heard, and that often requires engaging with the political process. By working with policymakers and legislators, advocates can help to create and influence laws and policies that affect their cause. In a sense, advocacy is a way to make your voice heard in the political sphere. Without advocacy, many issues would never make it onto the political agenda.

• There's definitely a relationship between advocacy and politics! Advocacy is all about influencing change and making your voice heard, and that often requires engaging with the political process. By working with policymakers and legislators, advocates can help to create and influence laws and policies that affect their cause. In a sense, advocacy is a way to make your voice heard in the political sphere. Without advocacy, many issues would never make it onto the political agenda.

• I think advocacy and political context are like two wings that should work together for a safe journey in our daily activities

• Yes, I could see that the issue of understanding the political environment is key to crafting an advocacy plan.This session is quite educative.

• o contexto político desempenha um papel fundamental na prática da advocacia, moldando o ambiente legal, influenciando decisões judiciais e criando oportunidades e desafios para advogados e seus clientes. É importante para os advogados entenderem e navegarem nesse contexto para melhor atenderem às necessidades de seus clientes e defenderem seus interesses de maneira eficaz

• Organizations must choose the best promotional approach that best suits them.

• It was great listening to the podcast. The biggest key take is understanding the context and formulating a strategy that can work out well. It's great to learn that individuals doing advocacy need to walk away from the assumption that advocacy can be achieved with ease and to approach it in a manner that does not endanger their safety.

• It is pretty obvious that the political context in which you operate is a strong determinant to the success or failure of your advocacy. This simply implies that one has to really understand the context in which s/he is operating before making any decisions.

• I agree, also one has to be diplomatic about what he or she says or does. You can't do a lot when you are in prison, so try your best to advocate wisely based on any political climate in which you find yourself.

• I would clearly state that without politics, life would be effortless. hence a vital space to take note of in pursuing anything.

• My advocacy organization, (ACE) Advocacy for Community Enhancement, will deal with all aspects of community perspectives which will entail many contexts and strategies and present many challenges. In a community environment politics will always be at the center.

• My goal is to meet the right people with the right access and experience to provide a clear pipeline of paperwork and connections and funding opportunities.

• Advocacy most times has politics as its reason for existence. One cannot have any advocacy just like that because its the laws of the land that determine a lot that happens to humanity within the country.

A good understanding of the political terrain of the country helps in structuring an advocacy campaign to achieve success. In addition to that, adherence to existing laws is a knowledge the advocates must have.

• advocacy is very close to politics

• In fact,one should first analysed context be it political or environmental so as to know what would hinder you from solving the problem at hand.
    In areas of political fragility, you first have to get information on these obstacles as you plan on ways to mitigate risks.
    For instance, you could involved intervention of international organizations by coordinating and collaborating with eg ICRC whose mission is to advocate for human rights and working with them will give you access to unreachable areas.

• Any advocacy effort will need the support of political players to ensure its sustainability.

• It is key to consider the political environment, before any approaches to problem solving.

• Where I operate, the political context is a semi open context and its slow down the development work because of lack of transparency and openness.

• Advocacy within the political context involves actively promoting and supporting a particular cause or issue to influence decision-making and policy development within the government or legislative bodies.

• Whatever the current situation is, it probably suits someone, otherwise it would already have been changed. Knowing the political situation seems crucial as one's advocacy efforts seeks to shift the current situtuation and will probably affect power balance or where money goes. More power to marginalized groups will means less power to dominate over someone. Gain for some might mean pain for others, which will likely cause resistance. It seems wise to prepare for that by knowing one's political context.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.