Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I’m totally agree with this statement that by getting to the root case will no doubt help in analyzing as well as minimizing the demerits in future for sure .

• Not only are we working against normal pushback but also the years of institutional resistance of change and maybe worse which is personal bias resistance.

• Even an open government is truthfully not so open if you oppose the high level goals of the majority that may be utilizing resources to preserve their position and diminish other opposed positions

• I agree, it is the stake holders that we represent,any issue we are advocating for needs to have them at the forefront.

• In most democratic countries, everything that needed to be done need political will. This session clearly highlight that here in Kiribati we seem to have semi-open system especially when you are a civil servant. There are several things you cannot say or expose. I hope to learn more from this course as I'm trying to advocate for improving service provided in our hospital especially our Emergency services

• This module is a very crucial one in defining the problem you're trying to solve. In most semi-open country in which most are described as a democratic setting with some level of transparency and expression but characterized by a great deal of corruption and violence act by powerful and governmental forces thereby rendering the NGOs unable to do anything because most are always perverted .

• This is very insightful, some countries might appear to be open yet very restricted to advocacy.

• So far what I got from this is that you need ro be careful Advocate because the government and powerful people are corrupt. Ok, so now what? Are we really brave advocates or just pretending to be. Was Martin Luther King or Malcum X and all the old advocates going in the wrong direction? Maybe? They did get assassinated....like my character would be assassinated if I advocated all the way to the Governer...I would be the target of a character and investigation assassination. Very sad.

J
    1 Reply
  • How can we resolve the challenges of advocacy for behavior change in the context of semi-open and restrictive political context?

• In my country the plotical context is deeply restrice, advocacy work is very hard to be in the right way, here they don't care about the beneficiaries or what they need, we have alot of problem that need to be solved but the government is against the NGOs work

• I agree, context and culture are important to being effective. I don't live where the project is located so attentive listening and learning is important.

• We have to carve out some degree of safety. It is sad.

• I am grateful to be in a semi open environment where I work but it does come with it's hardships. Some days it is hard to know what is happening versus what is said to be happening.

• It was interesting learning about the environmental approach that needs to be taken based on the level of transparency and openness within the organization. For the non profit I work for specifically, confidentiality is very important but we want to be transparent when it comes to the financial aspect and the specifics of how we handle each cent we receive. On the back side, this can lead to a lack of communication simple because certain information about our clients but not be released or talked about.

• It is important to contextualize advocacy approaches and that requires analysing the root causes of the problem we are trying to solve which can be done by being inclusive and understanding the problems by someone who is facing them directly.

Vote55
    464 Replies
    S
    SARAHCAD
    Oct 18, 2020, 11:02 PM
    The importance of taking into account our political context and adapt to it is also well explained in the famous book of Srdja Popovic "How to topple a dictator" ! :)

Vote16
    R
    RSARASUA
    Oct 19, 2020, 7:40 PM
    Yes I think that this is very important because what an outsider might think is important for the group is not really important for the people in the group. Stakeholder buy-in is extremely important to be effective.

Vote16
    M
    MOHGARSORE385C
    Oct 23, 2020, 12:33 AM
    Political environment not only determines the operations an NGO but can sometimes land the management to get troubles with the government regimes. Some government can sometimes burn any amount of NGO activity, or can allow the operation under a strict rules regulations for a prevailing political situations. However, some government regimes require,recognizes and can recommend any amount of input for from the nonprofit organization by providing the necessary resources and space for the project implementing agencies.

Vote16
    A
    AHMEDALQADHI
    Oct 23, 2020, 5:58 PM
    There is no doubt that understanding the political environment is so important for the success of an advocacy approach. That is because a certain approach can be appropriate for a certain context but not for another. It is only the people who are in the field who can decide which advocacy approach is applicable.
    Ahmed/Yemen

Vote11
    K
    KATHARINE
    Oct 23, 2020, 9:29 PM
    I agree the stakeholders need to all be on board with change in my filed of training so much training is wasted if the organisation does not support the new learning.

Vote4
    N
    NIRAGIRE
    Oct 24, 2020, 8:24 AM
    That's very true. Much as contextualization should be done focusing on the beneficiaries, also the political environment (philosophies) should be given special attention since sometimes beneficiaries might need a certain change which the politicians are not ready to embrace especially in less democratic governments which care about personal gains than citizen first on their political agenda

Vote2
    L
    LAURIE
    Oct 25, 2020, 2:50 AM
    I think we have very few countries in which we have open contexts, where the opinion of stakeholders, NGOs, the constituents are actively sought by the decision-makers, ie politicians. I can only think of one, where there is an active type of direct democracy, where the voters are regularly at the polls to give their opinion on key governmental policies. In my country, the governance is not at all clear. There is a murky line of responsibility. The main taxing governmental body doesn't deliver the bulk of the programs in the areas of education and healthcare, resulting in poor accountability over the use of the public coffers for those sectors. We have to approach various levels of government, because the decision maker is not clearly one or the other level.
    Another problem is that the politician may have the power in theory to make decisions, but in reality, the bureaucracy can stymie the political decisions. There is a status quo that is entrenched in public service that will not change easily based on the decision of politicians, who might be only there for a few years and then another party has a radically different agenda for that area we seek to influence. Then there's the power behind lobbyists, unions, etc. The whole environment for decision makers is really complex these days, especially since political figures also have to manage their social media profile. Many promise changes to look good, but then nothing changes concretely.
    A good point - to keep in mind the repercussions on those we seek to help, or even perhaps on the team of the NGO working seeking to influence.

Vote5
    C
    CORRINAVALI
    Oct 26, 2020, 6:22 PM
    Agreed. As many countries around the world are becoming more closed, it is also important to keep in mind the risks of advocacy work for ourselves and our colleagues. How do you make that trade-off? What kinds of organizational policies should we have with respect to risk analysis and mitigation?

Vote2
    R
    RENEGODLY
    Oct 29, 2020, 2:53 PM
    Yeah, restrictive governments hinder the progress of advocates of NGOs.

Vote1
    M
    MAGMAYARIS
    Oct 29, 2020, 5:23 PM
    currently in my country we have an anti-HIV discrimination law, which in itself is a good thing. Nonetheless, implementation of the law continues to be a challenge in the light of stigma and discrimination, which often lead people to not invoke the law when their human rights are trampled on. When the factor of discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is brought into the picture, the case is worsened, because we have seen police clamp down on LGBT spaces, which at times double as avenue for education and HIV testing services.

Vote2
    M
    MAGMAYARIS
    Oct 29, 2020, 5:29 PM
    Usually some governments will never come to support any advocacy work that does not benefit them. Advocates for The LGBTIQ Human rights are usually at risk whenever they stand to speak people from their communities will shame them and even name call them. Sometimes what makes advocacy work difficult is not knowing what the policies of your government say. As long as one knows what their constitution says about that particular thing they are advocating for it will be easy for them to stand up and speak for what they know and believe is right.

Vote1
    M
    MAGMAYARIS
    Oct 29, 2020, 5:29 PM
    Do you have the link for this book. I would love to go through it.

Vote0
    M
    MAGMAYARIS
    Oct 29, 2020, 5:30 PM
    This is true I can relate to some of the things. In my country we actually do face a similar thing in our advocacy work.

Vote1
    E
    ETHELASHONG-NUGA
    Oct 30, 2020, 2:59 PM
    Very true. In the context where the people are very emotionally attached to their ways of doing things

twitter
    linkedin
    instagram
    Ethel Ashong-Nuga
    Growth Catalyst

Projects and Community Development | 131 sunflower hub

050 000 7622 | 024 575 7068 0549455755

ethel@131sunflowerhub.com

131sunflowerhub.com

131sunflowerhub lakeside estate Ashaleybotwe

Vote0
    L
    LUDI
    Oct 31, 2020, 12:03 AM
    Politics basically is about decision making. Understanding that context aids in planning approaches to influence decision making, helps understanding what is likely to be accepted or not accepted. Various interests of parties also influence actions and responses on given issues.

Vote1
    K
    KAWULE123
    Nov 3, 2020, 1:41 PM
    I really learned a lot from this module. The problem identification and political context were crucial in developing advocacy plan

Vote4
    K
    KAWULE123
    Nov 3, 2020, 1:44 PM
    Thank you Sir. Another good resource. I like being with a team of senior professionals.

Vote0
    H
    HOPEKM
    Nov 3, 2020, 5:54 PM
    Very well said.

Vote0
    H
    HAZEM-MIZYED
    Nov 4, 2020, 9:46 AM
    I think what's often missing is KPIs, key performance indicators. NGOs often work without defining clear outcomes of that they want to achieve.

Vote0
    I
    ISAACMJULIUS
    Nov 4, 2020, 2:05 PM
    The examination of the environmental stances of both mainstream political parties and environmental social movements; and. The analysis of public policymaking and implementation affecting the environment, at multiple geo-political levels. mixed impact

Vote1
    G
    GYPSY
    Nov 5, 2020, 1:49 AM
    It would important to identify the context in which the advocacy work would be taling place so one could determine risks vs. benefits, which actions would benefit or hinder, and if even the project should be undertaken.

Vote2
    K
    KYAGULANYIFRANCIS
    Nov 5, 2020, 10:59 AM
    Am very certain about advocacy because without one stood for others then it's hard to convince government.

Vote0
    C
    CHARLIESHAFER
    Nov 6, 2020, 6:37 PM
    Listening to those actually experiencing the problem is the most important first step.

Vote1
    I
    ISAACCHISHALA
    Nov 10, 2020, 2:19 AM
    For sure restrictive government hinder the progress of advocates of NGO.because organisations ar not allowed to operate freely especially area ofpolitical advocate every time you want to have meetings you have to
    notify the police ,if they know your agenda of political advocacy sometime permit not given.

Vote0
    A
    ABIGAIL96
    Nov 11, 2020, 11:03 AM
    in regards to advocacy and the political context, i think it's within one's capability to decide which context they can create through their influence at the respective places of operation

Vote0
    O
    OTIENOOMONDI
    Nov 17, 2020, 9:50 AM
    in our country we face the same problems when it comes to advocacy

Vote0
    Y
    YESHUARAJIV
    Nov 19, 2020, 5:50 PM
    Hmmmm for some context it is absolutely true...

Vote0
    Y
    YESHUARAJIV
    Nov 19, 2020, 5:53 PM
    Hmmmm for some context it is absolutely true...

Vote0
    M
    MATSIKAP
    Nov 20, 2020, 1:30 PM
    I will start with restrictive where I work as it was discussed earlier on restrictive does not have openness as open contexts. In restrictive you will be guided on certain rules of the organization although in this context the rule of law is not followed it will be overridden by very people who makes the law so it becomes very difficult for one perform his or her duties as you will be afraid of executing your duties properly because you will be labeled as you are tarnishing the image of the organization. Also you can not give your opinions on anything and things are done secretly. But it is a very boring environment to work because you can not express what is good for the citizens. The executive tells the Legislative and the Judiciary what to do so you can not come up with favorable judgments as you will be told what the outcome should be.

Vote0

XYLANDER
    Nov 22, 2020, 4:40 PM
    I think restrictive context may be one better to stick to an organization vision. It cans help organization taking actions in a well-known funnel that can get them to constantly improve their idea in the field they are related to without getting out the area that are theirs. This would be a good way to improve sartness over broadness and that I think is a powerful weapon to correct and effective development. I wish the challenge will be to select the good decision maker and have a clear and smart vision that meet a specific problem.

Peace within the whole world is achievable. We should bring changes by making positive impact around us. This is how we can shape the evolution of the future.

Vote0
    R
    RICHARDCHANDO
    Nov 24, 2020, 2:04 PM
    What comes to mind is the issue of FGM and the communities it is being practiced. In Kenya for instance where there are pockets of this problem, it is important to understand where the laws of the country stand on this subject and use that to initiate an effective advocacy campaign by bringing on board community leadership to drive an anti-FGM campaign.

Vote0
    J
    JAZMYNFE
    Nov 24, 2020, 8:08 PM
    It is important for there to be transparency when it comes to the political context so that advocates know how to advocate effectively.

Vote0
    V
    VIVIAN_ANDRADE
    Nov 27, 2020, 3:05 AM
    In my country (Brazil), we have a semi-open context. At the same time that we consider the country as a democracy, we have some level of transparency and participation, we also face several problems in our political system, such as corruption and we deal with enormous violence coming from the government and public officials. In this scenario, the work of NGOs and even political groups faces great challenges.

Vote1
    S
    SHIANNCLEPHANE
    Nov 30, 2020, 8:20 AM
    Agreed. As many countries around the world are becoming more closed, it is also important to keep in mind the risks of advocacy work for ourselves and our colleagues. How do you make that trade-off? What kinds of organizational policies should we have with respect to risk analysis?

Vote1
    L
    LIANA
    Dec 1, 2020, 1:24 PM
    Understanding ones context of operation is very important why carrying out advocacy.

Vote0
    Z
    ZEEZEK
    Dec 1, 2020, 10:17 PM
    Most of the country operate in a semi open environment in which people must think of their actions and the consequence before engaging in it.

Vote0
    T
    TUNGYU
    Dec 2, 2020, 5:39 AM
    Political context is effecting everything in our daily life. It influences our culture, people's behaviors, and even what people think and express...these will all have impact on the decisions making.

Vote0
    G
    GEOFF2020
    Dec 2, 2020, 8:13 PM
    Great insights on the need to understand a problem before prescribing an advocacy solution. Comprehending the political context in which the advocacy strategy will be applied is critical. Lacking it maybe a recipe for failure.

Vote1
    U
    UMMA
    Dec 4, 2020, 12:28 PM
    Restrictive context aptly describes the exact situation in Nigeria.
    Advocacy if carefully conducted will provide long lasting solution to the mightiest problems.

Vote1

HAMZAABDALLA84
    Dec 6, 2020, 7:03 PM
    Adding to my colleagues points I believe knowing your country political context is very crucial to your success as NGO. I support our instructors that most countries are residing in the semi-open context so as NGOs operating in these countries we could really learn from each other and enrich our experiences. There is not best-solution that fits everywhere, however, understanding the real need, sharing knowledge and exchanging experiences might lead to better communities.

Vote0
    B
    BRIGHTERNIGHTS
    Dec 10, 2020, 7:10 PM
    This is a great point. There is a huge difference between having a law or policy and actually enforcing the said law or policy. I wonder how much advocacy work is done to have new measures enacted versus having existing ones enforced.

Vote0
    B
    BRIGHTERNIGHTS
    Dec 10, 2020, 7:41 PM
    I agree. I believe, in the vast majority of cases, politicians would like to make things better for their people. Where that desire fits on their priority ladder is the real question. For some, it sits pretty high, for other it may fall below personal gain. The challenge, then, is how to move it higher up the ladder. How is improving the lives of others beneficial for them (the politician)?

Vote0
    A
    ABDULGADIRALHAJ
    Dec 11, 2020, 9:52 AM
    Now most political leaders are self-centered leaders whose agendas are based on their families and friends, so these such leaders need to be dealt with in through massive awareness and creating of young advocates who are full of visions towards the betterment of their generation in order flourish and influence and advance the political arenas. Now the question is, how can we as the most vulnerable communities deal with such visionless leaders?

Vote0
    T
    TOQEEBHUMLA
    Dec 12, 2020, 9:24 AM
    If any of here then kindly check my assignment

Vote0
    T
    TOQEEBHUMLA
    Dec 12, 2020, 9:26 AM
    If any of here then kindly check my assignment

Vote0
    T
    TOQEEBHUMLA
    Dec 12, 2020, 9:26 AM
    Kindly help me to complete the course If any of here then kindly check my assignment

Vote0
    M
    MYOHMINNOO
    Dec 13, 2020, 9:25 AM
    I totally agree that every advocacy project requires the prior understanding of its projected location's political contexts. Does the people there accept usually accept new ideas or are they open enough for the world? Is it democractic or authoritarian? What are the laws? Only understanding those political contexts can produce smoother approaches for successful advocacy.

Vote0
    A
    ASSET43
    Dec 16, 2020, 6:55 PM
    Policy changes hardly ever happens overnight and is often linked to broader change in the political environment. Effective advocacy requires long-term as well as short-term thinking, an understanding of the points of conflict and the means to gain power, the readiness to form alliances, and the flexibility to seize windows of opportunity.

Vote0
    C
    CEGBADAGO
    Dec 17, 2020, 9:07 PM
    What a way to begin the module. It is true context is of essence and in trying to solve a problem, the problem should in itself be clearly outlined and the strategies to mitigate them comprehensive. Your target audience should in effect feel the impact.

Vote0
    O
    OLUWABUSOLAMI29
    Dec 20, 2020, 2:09 AM
    We should have a way to measure the quality of approach to an advocacy and not the quantity such as money or other inputs but the outcome. Thanks for the insight

Vote0

ALICHOCHRIS
    Dec 26, 2020, 4:06 PM
    in as much as the context we are working in is important, i also think it is important we take context-variability into account. the context in most nations is always changing

Vote0
    O
    OWOLABIBAYONLE52
    Dec 27, 2020, 8:39 PM
    Context is the pivot of any advocacy campaign. However, a factor must be highly considered. An advocacy group must ensure it adequate educates the members of the public in order not to be seen as an enemy of progress in the society. I think one of the tentacles of context that must be considered is audience characteristics and disposition. Thanks for this insight.

Vote0
    R
    RDINGMAN
    Dec 29, 2020, 1:53 AM
    I agree, stakeholders along with employees, and people inside the organization should be able to deal with change. Sometimes the stakeholders dont know what need to be changed in an organization, while those getting the support and help do. In order to see where everyone is at, there should be a survey to determine where the minds meet, then go from there.

Vote0
    B
    BERNAH_NAMUTEBI
    Dec 29, 2020, 10:27 AM
    The political context in uganda is semi-open with all the laws in place but NGOs have to operate with extra care.

Vote0
    T
    TAMANJILOGODI
    Dec 31, 2020, 5:46 AM
    Everything highlighted in this module is very important. Take the case of working on a advocacy campaign, its very important to know the strategies to use and the possible risk that can be encountered

Vote0
    A
    AGNESBEDARD
    Dec 31, 2020, 4:31 PM
    Political environment is very important. Where I am in the US, our neighborhood has changed from a conservative political strong arm type of leadership to a more open liberal leadership. Those who fight the change are afraid. Afraid of any changes will destroy what they know about their neighborhood but the change is needed as our community has changed due to the political upheaval that had led to the loss of work and social programs

Agnes Bedard

Vote0
    T
    TAMANJILOGODI
    Jan 4, 2021, 7:09 AM
    Everything highlighted in this module is very important. Take the case of working on a advocacy campaign, its very important to know the strategies to use and the possible risk that can be encountered

Vote0
    D
    DAVIDSSUAH1992
    Jan 8, 2021, 1:29 PM
    I really learned a lot from this module, but the difference between open and Semi open is still not clear to me, because many NGOs don't work on Achieving all there Goals but rather take side with the Government.

Vote0
    N
    NOBLENOBON
    Jan 8, 2021, 3:17 PM
    I so much agree with you because the more you understand your political environment, the more strategic you will be in tackling the problem at hand

Noble

Vote0
    J
    JANEALEXANDER
    Jan 11, 2021, 7:57 AM
    I am lucky enough to live in an open context (Australia), however there are signs over the last few years that we are heading more towards a semi-open environment, especially regarding indigenous (first nations) rights, media freedom and transparency of some government decisions. It seems crucial that NGOs adapt their approaches rapidly to the changing context of their work - what worked open year or under one government may not have the same outcomes under a newly elected government and the organization can quickly sidelined. Maintaining relevance and presence across different political groups and anticipating how they respond to you if they come to power is important.

Vote1
    E
    EWEGBEMIG
    Jan 12, 2021, 1:44 PM
    Many countries are becoming more restricted, even the semi opened ones and this phenomena is placing advocacy works at risk

Vote0
    E
    EWEGBEMIG
    Jan 12, 2021, 1:48 PM
    While criticism is appreciated in an open context,it acceptable to a degree in semi open context

Vote0
    E
    EWEGBEMIG
    Jan 12, 2021, 1:51 PM
    When you understand the political environment of your country, you are a step closer to achieving your goals as an advocate

Vote0
    S
    SUZANTEMIDAYO38
    Jan 12, 2021, 3:40 PM
    This module is a very crucial one in defining the problem you're trying to solve. In most semi-open country in which most are described as a democratic setting with some level of transparency and expression but characterized by a great deal of corruption and violence act by powerful and governmental forces thereby rendering the NGOs unable to do anything because most are always perverted .

Vote0
    1 out of 500

A
    1 Reply
  • I agree in as much as a given advocacy strategy may be in line with the political environment it is to be administered in , political interest is also key.

• Yes and stakeholders need to be selected appropriately

• Yes very true, I agree with you

• Stakeholder buy in is sometime one of hardest things to achieve. You need to do your research done be confident going into the pitch or your idea will never see the light of day.

• I totally agree with you

• This is very true

• Improving public services and human rights are the big problem which need advocacy work in my country, all the people are suffering from this problem but in today restrictive political context its hard for any NGO to do open advocacy for addressing these problem to motivate the decision maker.

• It is very important to contextualise the the advocacy political environment before embarking on any advocacy activity or operation. AS , we have learnt the Instructors Ruth &Rakesh ,its advisable to do pre-screening of where we want to operate, how we want to operate and what we intend to achieve as an ultimate Goal, A closer observation and care will suggest the ways or approach that will sum our strategy, Caution: Don't start any advocacy without the preliminary analysis of the political environment or system to avoid sad outcomes.. DREJIOFOR

• i think most of the problems in the community the politicians dont know and most of stakeholders are not interested in advocating for the problems but i think as an advocate you ensure you represent people interest to ensure their well being

• Advocacy is community, empathy, and compassion at work. Advocacy is the answer, and the political scene is the dilemma. Advocacy significantly changes how people view the constitution. It addresses the problems and demonstrates solutions. It functions as a coded framework that includes means for protection, justice, and critique: yet, politics functions as a slavery code that regulates the identity of an unidentified cosmological sphere.

• I agree. It is extremely important to have clarity for relevance, understanding, and development. The analysis of the issue requires a unique and critical review of the problem to provide a better platform for a solution that includes all stakeholders as well as maintains the integrity of the advocacy for the organization or issue itself.

• I think that this is very important. The reason it is is because , what other people looking from the outskirts might think would be imperative for the group as a whole would not necessarily hold as much weight than the people actually on the inside would say.

• I think there will debates about this and depending on the side someone on will yield different responses. I wonder if your representative supports this.

• This is true. Understanding the context, helps with the advocacy.

• Advocacy will do well when stakeholders have a buy-in

• This module opened my eyes. I didn't realize there was a lot of context I had to consider. The work you think is help or can reduce problems in society can make you a target depending on the political climate.

A
    1 Reply
  • This is important as it is only then one is mindful of the approach to take when one is creating measures to bring about change

• I have experience with a semi-open political context in Africa(Niger) where Ngo's find advocacy work very difficult. You have be careful legal issues regarding registration , location, staff, and fundraising exercises. The risk of being arrested is very high , so, much caution is needed in other to operate with success.

• Exactly, when you think of advocacy, it's hard to think about all that really needs to be considered. Like you mentioned, it's a lot of context and political climate that's dependent on the problems in society.

• Advocacy is told complex at first but once start working on its simple if you have good helping environment just to help you all if you’re wondering it’s complicated

• Very very essential

• Analyzing your surrounding to safeguard yourself and your team is very crucial. That doesn't mean you shouldn't act. We need to act after analysis and build strong advocacy strategy to gain our goals . Analysis the problem statement by tools such as not limited to Problem Tree will facilitate on writing your messages.

• Advocacy is the active support of an idea or cause expressed through strategies and methods that influence the opinions and decisions of people and organisations.

In the social and economic development context the aims of advocacy are to create or change policies, laws, regulations, distribution of resources or other decisions that affect people’s lives and to ensure that such decisions lead to implementation.[1] Such advocacy is generally directed at policy makers including politicians, government officials and public servants, but also private sector leaders whose decisions impact upon peoples lives, as well as those whose opinions and actions influence policy makers, such as journalists and the media, development agencies and large NGOs.

By “pro-poor advocacy” we mean advocacy for political decisions and actions that respond to the interests of people who directly face poverty and disadvantage. For those pursuing the goal of equitable and pro-poor ICT access, advocacy as a means to bring about change can be appropriate in a range of circumstances, including:

(a) Where ICT policies could have the effect of reinforcing poverty and discrimination. For example, “e-government” projects that use the internet to improve access to public services may, for those without internet access, have the reverse effect, unless they are complemented by other measures to enable universal access to the internet.

(b) When appropriate ICT policy change could be expected to improve poor people’s lives and livelihoods. For example, the adoption of broadcasting policies that enable community-based organisations to establish their own radio or television services.

(c) As part of a wider programme of support for pro-poor ICT access. For example, the impact and effectiveness of investment in public ICT access centres may be improved by advocacy efforts to adopt and mainstream good practice such as community participation in management or use of free and open source software.

There is much that has been written on advocacy and how to gain influence. Some of the basic tenets of the art of persuasion, found in political science and communication studies, appear also in early Greek and Chinese philosophy.[2] It is widely recognised, for example, that change comes rarely from force of logical argument alone or from the presentation of irrefutable evidence in support of the changes required. The latter is most starkly demonstrated by the slow response to climate change warnings. Much depends on the character, approach and credibility of those seeking change and the receptiveness of those they are seeking to persuade. Advocacy is inherently political and an understanding of political dynamics is at the heart of effective advocacy.

Even the most clear-minded advocacy for pro-poor ICT policies can meet resistance for various reasons, including lack of political will, bureaucratic inertia, and counter arguments from well-resourced interest groups pursuing their own advocacy efforts. Effective advocacy therefore requires research to map out the policy terrain, the principal actors, the political relations and the interests at stake. In the ICT policy field this terrain typically will include government departments, communications regulators, telecommunications service providers, media organisations, sector associations and growing numbers of civil society interest groups. Careful planning and a strategic approach are therefore needed if results are to be achieved.

Policy change rarely happens overnight and is often linked to broader change in the political environment. Effective advocacy requires long-term as well as short-term thinking, an understanding of the points of resistance and the means to gain traction, the readiness to form alliances, and the flexibility to seize windows of opportunity.

This overview describes some of the more commonly used advocacy techniques, from critical engagement such as policy monitoring and policy dialogue, through organised campaigns for policy change, to pathfinder and demonstrator projects that can inform and influence future policy making. It highlights the importance for people facing disadvantage to be able to assert their own needs and interests. It explains step by step how to devise an effective advocacy strategy for ICT policy reform. It is accompanied by case examples and signposting to further tools and resources.

raws from the advocacy research and experience of Amnesty International (1997), Sprechman and Pelton (2001), Wolf (2001), Rose (2005) and IFEX (2005).

• advocacy needs to align with the political context and constitutional requirements.
    The course will help me evaluate appropriate strategies towards advocacy

• In fact we can never fight for a cause, without knowing it's fully background and without think about the path that it's going to take. Knowing what leaded to the situation, the culture and political context can give us the tools that we need in order to try to solve the problem in the best way

• "You have to think, in this place in which I am working, what risks does my advocacy work expose myself, my organization and my colleagues to, and how can we mitigate for that?"

This is a very interesting point.

• That is an excellent point and something I plan to keep in mind.

• I agree with the pinned comment. Having an understanding of both the problem and the solution AND the context of environment is vital. It ties into the last few points that Rakesh made in the audio. It allows you to determine if what you want fits into what is possible (or safe) to pursue, but it also helps determine if the costs associated with the work are justified by the potential benefits - and if those benefits are realistic to assume.

• That’s correct. The system or political context really do affect the approach to advocacy.

• Political context truly affects the approach to advocacy.

P
    1 Reply
  • Yes for advocacy we need to know about the context of the society , their culture. norms and values. It is very important to know the root causes of the problem we are facing.

• Yes each country or society have their own values , culture and religious sensitivities , therefore, there political context is very important to initiate advocacy to achieve the goals pre described.

• Advocacy and political context has proportionate effect on each other, As the political context is, as the distinct strategies of advocacy need to be adopted. The advocacy in open, semi open political context is easy respective to restrictive political context.

• I totally agree that is very important how is open or closed regime in the country but also can play a role in the topic with which NGOs deal. For example, NGOs deal with animal protection it is not so politicized and the media will speak openly about this topic but it is not possible to have access to the media if you speak about human rights or sensitive political topics.

• Political Context matters not only to start, but also to maintain an advocacy strategy alive. Political instability can be pretty cruel when it comes to the implementation of a strategy; and , therefore, managing a risking plan is pretty important.

• I think the country's background is really essential to be figured out when listing the issues that we want to advocate for. The importance of an issue and its impact on the society also matters. For instance, an NGO may define a general problem that is very controversial globally, however, it may not has this huge impart on the society the NGO operating in. Prioritizing the issues that need to be solved in a country then choosing an advocacy tactic for each one of them and applying it in the right timing is the key.

• strong agreed, understating context is the first step in advocacy approaches.

• Advocacy is a big part of our strategy. We have long realised that we aren't able to make a real change in healthcare if we won't advocate for policy changes and not only for the policy but their implementation and supervision. Find people who are responsible and accountable for the policy implementation and its effectiveness.

• Yes, it is imperative to approach the work/problem with inclusivity and an open mind. As an advocate we need to understand that each person's situation may be different from the circumstances you are used or just what you have experienced.

• I totally agree with our instructors and getting to know the political context of your place or environment. Some NGOs just see a problem and dive right into finding solutions without first addressing this very key issue. And like some of my colleagues mentioned in their contribution there is no best fit system for all cause even in these ones we've got certain limitations as well. Understanding your organization's goals and objectives, thus what you actually stand for, will help you find and adapt to a system that works best for you.

• I agree with this premise, as no two problems have the same solution. It is vital to engage with persons facing these challenges to understand their struggles and boost their involvement in developing advocacy strategies aimed at influencing policy.

• Advocacy helps to transform policies and services that affect displaced and stateless people on a national, regional and global level. It is a vital part of our work at UNHCR.

In both countries of asylum and countries of origin, UNHCR works within national political, economic and social structures to bring policies, practices and laws into compliance with international standards.

In times of forced displacement, we use advocacy to influence governments, non-governmental partners and the public at large to adopt practices that ensure the protection of those in need.

• Understanding the political context is a very important and basic step toward navigating the risk and having a good understanding of what approach should your organization take and what step it should not, especially in a very restrictive political environment.
    I think the advocacy behind the senses and indirect approach would be better suited, rather than moving toward open campaigning and confrontation with restrictive and authoritarian regimes.

• Currently, organisations have to be very careful, with the current political climate.

• I think you're right, because every environment has its own norms and culture that is unique to it, so I believe advocacy needs to be done with more care and in context to enable us achieve our goal.

• It's important to always relate and contextualize advocacy.

• It can be tricky as you are trying to advocate you want to be sure not to antagonize.

• Analysing the root cause is really important. This gives details information about the causes of any problem. Political environment is also included within the root cause analysis.

• I totally agree with you the political context will determine how you you do your advocacy for instance in a a semi- open context you will put in mind the consequences that might arise with being very critical on certain issues and therefore choosing self protection and protection of you organization image.

• For successful advocacy strategy, we ought to know the type of context we work in to better know how well to implement and cause change.

• Yes! It's very important to understand the kind of context that runs in one country that way NGOs can work more effectively without being bullied by superiors

• By analyzing the root causes and addressing the problem at the root we are not just providing a temporary band aid, we are attempting to resolve the problem. Without adding context to the solution, a solution may be completely inappropriate for the situation. Gathering information from people who are directly affected is critical, in that they are living the experience and have a point of view which outsiders may not have access to. An insider can see why some solutions that the outsider proposes may be impractical in their context.

I saw this often while working as a missionary in Honduras. Well meaning people from the US would visit with great ideas, but their solutions were not practical in the Honduran context. They invested a lot of time/money into resources that were not beneficial to anyone. In fact, sometimes they unintentionally exposed "beneficiaries" to more danger.

• Understanding and assessing the context in the corner stone of an effective advocacy process. Advocates has to be fully aware of the political context they are working in and they need to adapt their interventions and strategies in coherence with the context.

• The importance of government and politics as a piece of contextualizing an NGO (and its mission) cannot be overstated. This will determine virtually all of an organization's practical activities and range of power.
    So, it's no surprise to me that a restrictive environment can make NGO work frustrating, difficult, dangerous, and basically impossible.

• Context matters, and risks vary enormously when it comes to changemaking. Many of "imported" advocacy solutions are presented as success cases without due contextualisation and assessment. Advocacy strategies need to be critically addresed and, above all, have clear connections with people with lived experience on that specific situation or problem that is trying to be changed. In a complex society and with semi-open government as in Brazil, NGOs are important, and in order not to exacerbate power imbalances, it's important to have a clear connection between NGOs and frontline actors such as social movements and popular leaderships, for instance. Advocacy strategies and tactics work when they are context-relevant and politically sensitive.

• Très généralement le contexte détermine la difficulté ou la facilité à percevoir le problème et à le résoudre en raison du degré d'ouverture ou de contrainte des forces politiques, traditionnelle, religieux en place. Une bonne connaissance des parties prenantes facilite la mise en place d'une stratégie adaptée.

• the political context of Kenya.

Here are some ways in which the region is marginalized:

1. Political marginalization: The North Eastern region has been neglected in terms of political representation at the national level. The region only has a few members of parliament compared to other regions and this is because of the ongoing voter registration and electoral boundary review processes. This lack of political representation has led to poor governance in the region.

2. Economic marginalization: The North Eastern region is economically impoverished and this can be attributed to the lack of infrastructure and poor leadership. The region is predominantly pastoralist and the presence of drought and famine contribute to the economic suffering of the region’s residents. Commercial activities in the region are also minimal leading to high unemployment rates, poverty and underdevelopment.
      : The region is bordered by Somalia a failed state that is plagued by armed conflicts terrorism and other security threats. Hence the region is vulnerable to Al-Shabaab and other terrorist attacks. The government has failed to provide adequate security in the region contributing to an already volatile security situation.

3. Educational marginalization: Access to quality education is limited in the North Eastern region. Schools are few and far between and most are under-equipped with poor facilities and unqualified teachers. The lack of schools also means that a significant number of children are not receiving formal education. Education is a critical element of development and its absence contributes to the backwardness of the region.

In conclusion the North Eastern region of Kenya has been systematically marginalized neglected and oppressed by past and current governments. To correct this the region ought to be given attention and support in political economic and other crucial

• Advocacy is defined as any action that speaks in favor of, recommends, argues for a cause, supports or defends, or pleads on behalf of others. In relation to politics it creates an equal platform for representation of everyone regardless of ; sex, age, ethnicity /race, social class e.t.c

• there is some level of openness in my environment concerning advocacy, it also looks good on paper and in laws but in practice, it falls short. The governments may promise to release their support but in practice they don't at all making very difficult to work freely

• While problems may be similar in different parts where we work, the context will make a huge difference in terms of what you do to solve that problem. Understanding of that context is crucial for us to orient ourselves in terms of which is a right advocacy approach to use. This also applies when it comes to the political environment.

• I think Advocacy should also start with convincing the stakeholders that a certain norm is not normal and showing them whats normal and the benefits there on.

• One of the key aspects of effective advocacy is to tailor the strategies and methods to the specific context and situation. This means that we need to understand the underlying factors and drivers that contribute to the problem we are trying to address, and how they affect different stakeholders and groups. A useful way to do this is to involve the people who are directly impacted by the problem in the analysis and design of the advocacy approach, as they have firsthand knowledge and experience of the challenges and opportunities. By being inclusive and participatory, we can ensure that our advocacy is relevant, responsive and respectful of the diverse perspectives and needs of those we aim to support.

• it's so really important to understand political environment for a successive advocacy approach. and this is because by understanding a certain political environment( restrictive, semi-open or open ) approach can be appropriate for a certain advocacy context but not for another .

• what stood out for me in this topic is the restrictive context:
    and how one has to be extra careful before implementing some laws that are centered around the positive outcomes of an organization.

because of the fear of stepping on toes , getting fired, creating enemity unknownly .

• The very prevalent issue of restrictive and semi-open governments poses significant hinderances on the abilities of NGOs to work and actively make change in different countries without fearing imprisonment or worse. I feel that this issue is only becoming worse, where speaking up about the truth and seeking justice is becoming less and less acceptable. Consequently, the growth of fear among all non-governmental parties involved inevitably impacts those most vulnerable, whom we strongly seek to assist and provide a better life for, but are met with inumerable hurdles in attempting to do so.

• Nice introduction and indeed I belief, that the context under which each of our organization works highly influences how we solve problems that we face as institutions.

• I have not thought about the political context before because my experience in the US, in California, has been one of openness and I have no fear to speak about what our NGO wants. It is interesting to think about what the advocacy process must be like in countries that do not want to hear the opinions of the citizens and, even worse, will possibly hurt them for speaking out.

I advocate at the Capitol in California. Even though I do not worry about being harmed, I do have to take into consideration who I speak to and what I speak to them about because you want to keep a good reputation and everyone talks to each other there. I also want to stay within the guidelines of etiquette required at the Capitol. I have found this is unspoken and unwritten and I have learned it from having a community of like-minded individuals to serve at mentors.

• This is a really good example of how we can use advocacy by setting up examples and being like a dictator.

• Thank you Instructors for this elaborate lecture.

It is crucial to consider the type of context the system of government is because it informs what missions (problems to address) and strategies to develop and pursue. The political arena is central in decision making as policies of functionality covers laws and regulations on which NGOs are established, and operate, irrespective of the views of other non-political stakeholders. These laws must be adhered to, to avoid going against the law, being sued, or closed. So, it is crucial to identify what problems to advocate for within the state/federal laws to ensure it is worth the effort. Using evidence-based approach may influence policy makers to reevaluate their policy irrespective of contextualization which may foster collaboration with NGOs in addressing problems or challenges in their communities/state or nation that they did not know existed or did not see as a significant public or social issues of concern.

• Different issues affect various communities and individuals differently. What might work as an advocacy approach for one group might not be as effective for another. Understanding the social, cultural, economic, and political context in which an issue arises is vital for tailoring advocacy strategies that resonate and have a greater chance of success.

• What an eye opener topic to roll out the advocacy foundation. Sure, political context in our countries determine if our advocacy is going to succeed or fail. Most countries work under semi open context environment, and this gives us common platform to share ideas.

The idea of getting to the core problem first before find solutions to it as an advocate is crucial and great starting point.

Am so excited to be part of this a Advocacy community and I look forward to learn more from you guys and equally share mine.

• I agree it is important to do research on what the problem is.

• Political contexte ist very important in the that the gouvernement determines the the life of population. So if we want to be efficient in our our activities, we have to take this question into account

• Advocacy involves the process of influencing public policies, decisions, and attitudes on various social, economic, and political issues. It's a means for citizens, civil society organizations, and interest groups to voice their concerns, promote change, and hold the government accountable. Advocacy in Nigeria covers a wide range of issues, including human rights, corruption, education, health care, gender equality, environmental sustainability, and more.

• Advocacy and politics are inherently intertwined, as advocacy seeks to shape political decisions and politics provide the framework within which advocacy operates. While advocacy can bring about positive change, it also requires strategic navigation of political realities and careful consideration of its impact on the democratic process.

Advocacy acts as a catalyst for change, fostering a dynamic relationship between citizens, civil society, and government institutions. It has the potential to drive positive transformations while navigating the intricacies and challenges of the political landscape.

Political advocacy can have a profound impact on shaping public policies and influencing legislative decisions. However, it often involves challenges such as resistance from opposing interest groups, competing policy priorities, and changing political landscapes. Successful advocacy requires strategic thinking, effective communication, a deep understanding of the political process, and a commitment to a cause over the long term.

• While listening to the podcast I was thinking of the hidden interests in my context, even though a cause seems to be correct in the political and societal context it is not always good or aligned to the hidden interests of the people that could actually help. Taking the media for example, they must take care of their audiences and to befriends with the advertisers so there are some topics they are not going into not because they are not important, but because they might have a bad impact in their business.

• First, identify the problem you are trying to solve and its underlying causes. Second, get a clear understanding of the current social, economic, political, and sometimes geographic or even geopolitical context. Then, choose the advocacy approaches which take into account the context. Third, create an adaptable implementation plan that considers potential changes in the context.

• the advocacy is very important in level NGOs, to help the vulnerable community, so some times the political context can effect either positively or negatively and based on the type system that existing in this country

• Understanding political context and its importance in advocacy is very important in achieving policy changes on local, state and or federal level.

• It is crucial to tackle the underlying issues at the core of the problem we are currently grappling with. Drawing from my professional background, I firmly assert that gaining a comprehensive grasp of the local context, devoid of preconceived biases, is essential for attaining a deeper comprehension of the challenges we seek to address and advocate for. Consequently, prioritizing localization becomes paramount.

• Understanding and addressing the root causes of the problem we aim to solve through inclusive advocacy approaches is crucial.

• Our environment determine our success

• I think the country's background is really essential to be figured out when listing the issues that we want to advocate for. The importance of an issue and its impact on the society also matters. For instance, an NGO may define a general problem that is very controversial globally, however, it may not has this huge impact on the society the NGO operating in. Prioritizing the issues that need to be solved in a country then choosing an advocacy tactic for each one of them and applying it in the right timing is the key.

• Je crois que nous ne pouvons le contourner pour un monde efficace et équitable surtout.

• Advocacy is a bold step in fighting for the vulnerable, under-pressed persons' rights. Depending on the Political context in your country, one generally needs to trade consciously to achieve the advocacy goal at the same time protect your colleague, yourself and the organization from being attacked by the government.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.