Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• administrators

Girl Centered Design

Hello Course Ambassadors!

Let's get started with introductions:

1. What is your name? Where do you work?

2. What are you most looking forward to as a Course Ambassador?

3. Do you have any questions or concerns?

4. How can I support you?

Here is some information about me:

1. My name is Kamilla (@kamilla), and I run Course Operations at Philanthropy University. My job is to make sure that courses are running smoothly, that all learners are getting the support they need to be successful in the course, and to triage any platform issues with our engineering team.
    1. I am looking forward to meeting all of the Course Ambassadors and learning ways to best support the diversity of people joining courses. I'd love to hear from you!
    1. My question to you all is, what can I do to support you to be successful Course Ambassadors? Please don't hesitate to post and tag me with ideas, or send a direct message @kamilla.
    A
    1 Reply
  • Introduction%20to%20Fundraising-PhilanthropyU-Fundraising_101-1_1.0_20180402_20180422

Am Unia Nalugya Ugandan. I have worked several years years in development work with different organizations (voluntary services over seas, Action Aid international) in different countries ( Namibia, Malawi,Tanzania and Rwanda).
    Apparently am developing a social enterprise in my community to enrich small holder farmers through livestock and poultry to have a sustainable rural livelihood projects.

1 Reply
  • Introduction%20to%20Fundraising-PhilanthropyU-Fundraising_101-1_1.0_20180402_20180422

hello @kamilla! my name is Ugo and i am from NIgeria. i work with Visions For Nigeria Foundation as a programs manager and together we wok to bring a better life to under privileged people particularly women and children, by providing them with basic health and educational needs. Currently we are developing a project to help young girls in Gudupe community of Bwari Local Government, in Abuja, to be more aware of their sexuality and to become more enterprising by teaching them vocational skills. I am looking forward to this duty with great optimism.

• Girl%20Centered%20Design-MercyCorps-GirlDesign_101-1_1.0_20180402_20180506

My name is Tawina Jane from Malawi. I am the Founder and Director of a community based girl-led and focused organization called Teams Advancing Women in Agriculture or TAWINA, in short. My role is to ensure rural girls have space and resource to explore their potential and develop life skills, and ultimately champion social change in their communities. I m a mentor and a coach for girls and young women. I hope to make a positive contribution through the Course Ambassadors initiative by helping new learners to have positive learning experience at PU. I do not have any concerns at the moment. I m just looking forward to sharing and learning!!!! Thanks Kamilla for all your innovative efforts.

1 Reply

@unia said in Girl Centered Design:

Am Unia Nalugya Ugandan. I have worked several years years in development work with different organizations (voluntary services over seas, Action Aid international) in different countries ( Namibia, Malawi,Tanzania and Rwanda).
    Apparently am developing a social enterprise in my community to enrich small holder farmers through livestock and poultry to have a sustainable rural livelihood projects.

Hi Unia, nice meeting you. I would love to hear more about your social enterprise, do keep this forum posted please. And I would encourage you to share both success stories and challenges you may encounter along the way. I have agricultural background and I am always passionate about livestock and crop production. Have you already decided on the type(s) of livestock your projects will focus on? Congratulations on being considered a course Ambassador. It is worthwhile undertaking in my opinion. Thanks

1 Reply

@tawina said in Girl Centered Design:

Hi Unia, nice meeting you. I would love to hear more about your social enterprise, do keep this forum posted please. And I would encourage you to share both success stories and challenges you may encounter along the way. I have agricultural background and I am always passionate about livestock and crop production. Have you already decided on the type(s) of livestock your projects will focus on? Congratulations on being considered a course Ambassador. It is worthwhile undertaking in my opinion. Thanks

Hello Tawina
    I am developing a social enterprise in my community which is rural I work with rural small holder farmers by providing them chicks, goats and pigs, later we buy from and leave 5 percentage for their own consumption.

1 Reply
  • administrators

Hi @Unia, @Ugoojieh, @Tawina! Thank you so much for introducing yourselves in the Course Ambassador thread for the course, Girl Centered Design. I'm very excited to work with you as the first Course Ambassadors!

What do you think so far? Is there anything not clear or confusing?

• administrators

@SabrinaShumi @suraiya18 @vivian-emesowum @ugoojieh @amazing @danito @3540 @m_tracy @dickson @tawina @knoack @bettyk @sandilentombela

Thanks for your participation in the Girl Centered Design, Course Ambassador program! Have you had a chance to introduce yourselves in this thread? These are the other Ambassadors you will work with in the course to support new learners.

B
    1 Reply

@kamilla said in Girl Centered Design:

@SabrinaShumi @suraiya18 @vivian-emesowum @ugoojieh @amazing @danito @3540 @m_tracy @dickson @tawina @knoack @bettyk @sandilentombela

Thanks for your participation in the Girl Centered Design, Course Ambassador program! Have you had a chance to introduce yourselves in this thread? These are the other Ambassadors you will work with in the course to support new learners.

Thanks @kamilla for the warm welcome,glad to be here.Happy to meet you @SabrinaShumi @Suraiya18 @Vivian-emesowum @Ugoojieh @Danito @m_tracy @Dickson @Tawina @Knoack @SandileNtombela looking forward for great moments together.

Hello everyone.
    My name is Betty Mbithi founder as Abetec Business Solutions. Social enterprises where we mentor and guide entrepreneurs understand problems, identify solutions, implement their plans and achieve their goals.

I also coach young girls and women on how to discover their hidden potential and live a purposeful life.

Besides being a social entrepreneur I love everything chocolate, networking, traveling and Web.

What I am looking forward as a course ambassador is help as many people create change as possible.

I know getting to the root of the most complex social challenges takes courage, humility and resilience. But, together, we can promote human development.

I’m thrilled and thankful I found all of you.

1 Reply

1. My name is Kamilla (@kamilla), and I run Course Operations at Philanthropy University. My job is to make sure that courses are running smoothly, that all learners are getting the support they need to be successful in the course, and to triage any platform issues with our engineering team.
    1. I am looking forward to meeting all of the Course Ambassadors and learning ways to best support the diversity of people joining courses. I'd love to hear from you!
    1. My question to you all is, what can I do to support you to be successful Course Ambassadors? Please don't hesitate to post and tag me with ideas, or send a direct message @kamilla.

My name is Kehinde from Nigeria. I have a dual educational background in Social work & Food Science. I currently work with Matrix Solicitors. As an individual i derive passion by putting smiles on People's faces, helping them out of their challenges ,most importantly the marginalized ones. i also educate people about healthy eating and lifestyle. I practice this gesture unofficially as needs arises within my reach. However , with the vast knowledge acquired from this platform, i would like to be a part of the change the world is looking for by working or partnering with NGO that supports children, women and the aged group in the local community. It's a great honour to be one the Philanthropy University Ambassador. As i learn, will be glad to share my knowledge with people of same interests.
    1 Reply
  • administrators

My name is Tawina Jane from Malawi. I am the Founder and Director of a community based girl-led and focused organization called Teams Advancing Women in Agriculture or TAWINA, in short. My role is to ensure rural girls have space and resource to explore their potential and develop life skills, and ultimately champion social change in their communities. I m a mentor and a coach for girls and young women. I hope to make a positive contribution through the Course Ambassadors initiative by helping new learners to have positive learning experience at PU. I do not have any concerns at the moment. I m just looking forward to sharing and learning!!!! Thanks Kamilla for all your innovative efforts.

Hi Tawina Jane, it's so nice to meet you! Thank you for introducing yourself and your work here in the community. How important for girls to have organizations and programs working for and with them! How many young girls do you work with?Thanks for sharing!!

1 Reply
  • administrators

@amazing said in Girl Centered Design:

My name is Kehinde from Nigeria. I have a dual educational background in Social work & Food Science. I currently work with Matrix Solicitors. As an individual i derive passion by putting smiles on People's faces, helping them out of their challenges ,most importantly the marginalized ones. i also educate people about healthy eating and lifestyle. I practice this gesture unofficially as needs arises within my reach. However , with the vast knowledge acquired from this platform, i would like to be a part of the change the world is looking for by working or partnering with NGO that supports children, women and the aged group in the local community. It's a great honour to be one the Philanthropy University Ambassador. As i learn, will be glad to share my knowledge with people of same interests.

Thank you so much for introducing yourself @Amazing. I am also excited to work together with all the Course Ambassadors to make this an amazing platform for people to learn and share on.

How many people do you work with when educating about healthy eating and lifestyle? What type of marginalized communities do you support?

• administrators

@bettyk said in Girl Centered Design:

Hello everyone.
    My name is Betty Mbithi founder as Abetec Business Solutions. Social enterprises where we mentor and guide entrepreneurs understand problems, identify solutions, implement their plans and achieve their goals.

I also coach young girls and women on how to discover their hidden potential and live a purposeful life.

Besides being a social entrepreneur I love everything chocolate, networking, traveling and Web.

What I am looking forward as a course ambassador is help as many people create change as possible.

I know getting to the root of the most complex social challenges takes courage, humility and resilience. But, together, we can promote human development.

I’m thrilled and thankful I found all of you.

Hi there @Bettyk, thanks for sharing about yourself! It sounds like you do a lot of important work, mentoring and guiding social entrepreneurs, and have time for some fun. Thank you for volunteering as one of the first Course Ambassadors!

What are some of your favorite travel spots? Have you traveled recently?

Hi Tawina Jane, it's so nice to meet you! Thank you for introducing yourself and your work here in the community. How important for girls to have organizations and programs working for and with them! How many young girls do you work with?Thanks for sharing!!

Hey,
    Thanks for your feedback. We have 15 girl clubs with a total membership of 2,000 girls.

1 Reply

Hi Unia, nice meeting you. I would love to hear more about your social enterprise, do keep this forum posted please. And I would encourage you to share both success stories and challenges you may encounter along the way. I have agricultural background and I am always passionate about livestock and crop production. Have you already decided on the typ

Hello Tawina
    I am developing a social enterprise in my community which is rural I work with rural small holder farmers by providing them chicks, goats and pigs, later we buy from and leave 5 percentage for their own consumption.

You are doing amazing work Unia. How is your program structured in terms of production and marketing? Where do you source animals to distribute for example? How do you sell them? I am so much interested because my organization tried rabbits two years ago with little success. We hope to re-introduce the program so lessons from you would be very helpful. Feel free to share challenges as well so we can learn together. Cheers

• administrators

Hey,
    Thanks for your feedback. We have 15 girl clubs with a total membership of 2,000 girls.

That's amazing to hear, @Tawina. I am sure your organization's impact in the lives of those 2,000 girls reaches far beyond just that. Do you have any stories about how your impact has championed social change in those communities? Do you have challenges that you are comfortable sharing?

• administrators

Hi there @SabrinaShumi @Suraiya18 @Vivian-emesowum @Ugoojieh @Amazing @Danito @3540 @m_tracy @Dickson @Tawina @Knoack @SandileNtombela

How is it going as Course Ambassador in the course, Girl Centered Design? I reviewed your posts this morning, and noticed that you (mentioned above) have not posted the required 20 posts per week. Are you having trouble understanding the requirements or committing to the time/number of posts expected of Course Ambassadors?

Do you need suggestions of how or where to post? Please let me know if I can support you to meet the Course Ambassador requirements or answer any questions. Thanks again for all your hard work!

U
    2 Replies

Hi there @SabrinaShumi @Suraiya18 @Vivian-emesowum @Ugoojieh @Amazing @Danito @3540 @m_tracy @Dickson @Tawina @Knoack @SandileNtombela

How is it going as Course Ambassador in the course, Girl Centered Design? I reviewed your posts this morning, and noticed that you (mentioned above) have not posted the required 20 posts per week. Are you having trouble understanding the requirements or committing to the time/number of posts expected of Course Ambassadors?

Do you need suggestions of how or where to post? Please let me know if I can support you to meet the Course Ambassador requirements or answer any questions. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Hi Kamilla,
    I have been travelling. I am travelling again the whole of next week. Is there a possibility to make up the following week?
    Otherwise, I am committed and I am already enjoying the forum. Please provide some guidance on this. Thanks

1 Reply
  • administrators

Hi Kamilla,
    I have been travelling. I am travelling again the whole of next week. Is there a possibility to make up the following week?
    Otherwise, I am committed and I am already enjoying the forum. Please provide some guidance on this. Thanks

Hi @Tawina, thanks for checking in! Thank you for your commitment, I can see a lot of great conversation happening on the course discussion board. :-)

Ideally we would like to see approximately 20 posts per week, for each Course Ambassador.

It is totally understandable that people are very busy and have other things going on in their lives. You can post more in other weeks if that works better for your schedule but I will check-in if I haven't heard/seen anything in a while and it's better for me to know up-front if someone plans to be absent.

What do you think? Will you be able to join our second Q&A session on Thursday to chat more about this?

• administrators

If you haven't done so already, head over to the Girl Centered Design course and begin engaging the learners taking the course by clicking here.

Do you need some help getting started? Tag me, @kamilla, and I can post some examples. :-)

Thank you, Course Ambassadors!!

hello @kamilla i sincerely apologise for not meeting up to the required. i would love to say how busy i have been but that would not suffice. i would make it an obligation to meet up in the following weeks. But i would kindly require a little bit of guidance as to how and where to post. Thank you

1 Reply
  • administrators

@ugoojieh said in Girl Centered Design:

hello @kamilla i sincerely apologise for not meeting up to the required. i would love to say how busy i have been but that would not suffice. i would make it an obligation to meet up in the following weeks. But i would kindly require a little bit of guidance as to how and where to post. Thank you

Hi @Ugoojieh, thanks for checking in!

Get started by going to the course, Girl Centered Design. You can select the discussion posts and begin engaging with learners there.

Here are some examples:

-Hello @learner, my name is @name and I am your Course Ambassador. Please let me know if you have any questions, I am here to help!

-Hi @learner, thanks for introducing yourself and telling us about your work. How many beneficiaries does your organization serve? Where do you primarily work?

-Hi @learner1, did you see @learner2 is working in a similar region and/or topic area? You may have interesting stories to exchange, do you want to connect?

-Thanks for posting your question, @learner3! If you check the module readings you will get a clue to the answer you are looking for. Please tag me if you need further assistance.

-Hi @learner4, I see that @learner3 is also looking for a partner, have you formed a team yet?

Does that help you, @Ugoojieh?

Hey,

That's amazing to hear, @Tawina. I am sure your organization's impact in the lives of those 2,000 girls reaches far beyond just that. Do you have any stories about how your impact has championed social change in those communities? Do you have challenges that you are comfortable sharing?
    I am available for the one on 28th June yes. I have been travelling the past week. I hope to catch up this week and next.

1 Reply

@Kamilla I am responding to your post and I do hope you will find the information still relevant. In terms of indirect reach, we have over 10,000 girls but the 2,000 are the ones currently registered with girls' clubs in their communities. We have amazing stories of impact. I will start with the latest one where one of the girls has has been nominated for an award for her activism. She has been volunteering as a teacher at one of our literacy centres. The second impact stories is about girls standing up for their rights. I will give a practical example of two 16 year old girls who resisted and reported when they were being forced to get married. They came to TAWINA and together we facilitated that the community leadership intervene and the girls' parents apologized. Talking about child marriage, our major impact has been community's ability to identify and address child marriage cases. They have what is called CEFM Registers where they record cases as they occur any an action taken to a point a marriage is nullified or case concluded. They have community by-laws that guide action aroud child marriage. Now in terms of challenges, I would like to share two. The first one if resources. We are very thin on the ground but demand for our services is growing everyday as people become more and more aware and empowered. The second one is that there is community backlash which makes our work hard.

1 Reply
  • administrators

@Kamilla I am responding to your post and I do hope you will find the information still relevant. In terms of indirect reach, we have over 10,000 girls but the 2,000 are the ones currently registered with girls' clubs in their communities. We have amazing stories of impact. I will start with the latest one where one of the girls has has been nominated for an award for her activism. She has been volunteering as a teacher at one of our literacy centres. The second impact stories is about girls standing up for their rights. I will give a practical example of two 16 year old girls who resisted and reported when they were being forced to get married. They came to TAWINA and together we facilitated that the community leadership intervene and the girls' parents apologized. Talking about child marriage, our major impact has been community's ability to identify and address child marriage cases. They have what is called CEFM Registers where they record cases as they occur any an action taken to a point a marriage is nullified or case concluded. They have community by-laws that guide action aroud child marriage. Now in terms of challenges, I would like to share two. The first one if resources. We are very thin on the ground but demand for our services is growing everyday as people become more and more aware and empowered. The second one is that there is community backlash which makes our work hard.

What incredible examples of activism and courage, thank you for taking the time to share @Tawina. Volunteer teachers at literacy centers, young girls standing up for their rights, facilitating interventions by using community leadership, and records that ultimately change the outcome of a young life... it sounds like you could share so many stories about how community work makes a difference for people. Especially young girls! It also sounds like you also have significant challenges to your work as well, related to resourcing, prioritizing beneficiaries, and even political pressure. I'd love to hear how you use/find the courses on Philanthropy University in your work, or areas where you think we could improve based on your local experience as a community leader. Hopefully we have an opportunity to talk more soon! Thank you again for sharing your experience and for volunteering your time as a Course Ambassador.

1 Reply

What incredible examples of activism and courage, thank you for taking the time to share @Tawina. Volunteer teachers at literacy centers, young girls standing up for their rights, facilitating interventions by using community leadership, and records that ultimately change the outcome of a young life... it sounds like you could share so many stories about how community work makes a difference for people. Especially young girls! It also sounds like you also have significant challenges to your work as well, related to resourcing, prioritizing beneficiaries, and even political pressure. I'd love to hear how you use/find the courses on Philanthropy University in your work, or areas where you think we could improve based on your local experience as a community leader. Hopefully we have an opportunity to talk more soon! Thank you again for sharing your experience and for volunteering your time as a Course Ambassador.

@kamilla said in Join the next Q&A session on Thursday, June 28!:

@tawina said in Join the next Q&A session on Thursday, June 28!:

@bettyk said in Join the next Q&A session on Thursday, June 28!:

Hi there Course Ambassadors!

Our next Q&A session is Thursday, June 28. I have listed the session time based on your locations: 08:00 PST, 15:00 GMT, 16:00 WAT, 17:00 CAT, 18:00 EAT, 20:00 PKT, 23:00 PHT/HKT/MYT.

To join the call please click the google hangout link here. I will open the meeting for participants to join at the times listed above.

Agenda:

1. Introductions ~15 minutes
    2. Discuss the Course Ambassador experience ~15 minutes
    3. Open Q&A ~25 minutes
    4. Next steps and goodbye ~5 minutes

Do you have a question but are unable to attend? Post them below, we will answer and discuss during the session and upload the recording with the response. Please tag me, @kamilla, if you are having issues logging in. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

@addf @JMVHavugimana @mavjigul @nabilalquqa @obavic @abanty @MOLLELJonniah @marianozuk @amazing @Unia @SabrinaShumi @suraiya18 @vivian-emesowum @ugoojieh @danito @3540 @m_tracy @dickson @tawina @knoack @bettyk @sandilentombela @richard @abdi @gretchen @nyugah @lurex @ravi_dhavala @KainaatMaqbool @Cmnyarangi @reformer @fisher @constantin @Mcsolar @mentor @mustafa @Cmnyarangi @rogercu @Mr_Sam @ebong @nkwen @Mr_Sam @MUHAMMADWAQASARSHAD @meninwa @obinna @Paulina_Kamau @JosephPayseur @dafun @Maryakatu @Toheeb @nelson

Well noted @kamilla

Looking forward to meeting you, @Bettyk!

Hello @Kamilla!
    I am in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia and I am not sure which time zone I should follow....poor me.
    Please guide

Hi @Tawina, thanks for checking in! The call is at the same time, I've just posted for all the timezones to be sure it's clear. :-)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's code is MYT. So you can join the call June 28, at 23:00 MYT, based on your timezone. Will that work for you? We can discuss alternate times for future sessions. I've designed this one to catch as many timezones as possible, so unfortunately it is very late for you and very early (08:00) for me. Let me know what you think!

Oh dear...I am flying out tonight at 9pm so I will be air borne around that time. We will have to arrange another one. Are Mondays not goo for you? Say 9 July?

1 Reply
  • administrators

@tawina said in Join the next Q&A session on Thursday, June 28!:

@bettyk said in Join the next Q&A session on Thursday, June 28!:

Hi there Course Ambassadors!

Our next Q&A session is Thursday, June 28. I have listed the session time based on your locations: 08:00 PST, 15:00 GMT, 16:00 WAT, 17:00 CAT, 18:00 EAT, 20:00 PKT, 23:00 PHT/HKT/MYT.

To join the call please click the google hangout link here. I will open the meeting for participants to join at the times listed above.

Agenda:

1. Introductions ~15 minutes
    2. Discuss the Course Ambassador experience ~15 minutes
    3. Open Q&A ~25 minutes
    4. Next steps and goodbye ~5 minutes

Do you have a question but are unable to attend? Post them below, we will answer and discuss during the session and upload the recording with the response. Please tag me, @kamilla, if you are having issues logging in. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

@addf @JMVHavugimana @mavjigul @nabilalquqa @obavic @abanty @MOLLELJonniah @marianozuk @amazing @Unia @SabrinaShumi @suraiya18 @vivian-emesowum @ugoojieh @danito @3540 @m_tracy @dickson @tawina @knoack @bettyk @sandilentombela @richard @abdi @gretchen @nyugah @lurex @ravi_dhavala @KainaatMaqbool @Cmnyarangi @reformer @fisher @constantin @Mcsolar @mentor @mustafa @Cmnyarangi @rogercu @Mr_Sam @ebong @nkwen @Mr_Sam @MUHAMMADWAQASARSHAD @meninwa @obinna @Paulina_Kamau @JosephPayseur @dafun @Maryakatu @Toheeb @nelson

Well noted @kamilla

Looking forward to meeting you, @Bettyk!

Hello @Kamilla!
    I am in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia and I am not sure which time zone I should follow....poor me.
    Please guide

Hi @Tawina, thanks for checking in! The call is at the same time, I've just posted for all the timezones to be sure it's clear. :-)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's code is MYT. So you can join the call June 28, at 23:00 MYT, based on your timezone. Will that work for you? We can discuss alternate times for future sessions. I've designed this one to catch as many timezones as possible, so unfortunately it is very late for you and very early (08:00) for me. Let me know what you think!

Oh dear...I am flying out tonight at 9pm so I will be air borne around that time. We will have to arrange another one. Are Mondays not goo for you? Say 9 July?

I will pose this question to the group, there is not necessarily a set day or time! Similar to previous session, I will post the recorded call, transcript, and next appointment time. I will tag you Friday with updates @Tawina

@Kamilla, thank you for beautifully summarizing my successes and challenges! Just to quickly respond to usefulness or application of PU courses. First, the Girl-centred design course enriched the way we programme around our work with and for girls. I must say that it is still work in progress as we are learning and unlearning. For example, girls have always designed programs and projects at TAWINA, afterall they run the organization. But the Girl-Centred design course has helped us to pay attention to vulnerable girls who at times fall out in the design and planning process as they lack power to voice out their views. The Girl-centred design course has helped us to open more spaces for participation of vulnerable girls. These are girls from broken families, victims of sexual abuse, teen mothers, etc. I would also like to talk about the Planning for Monitoring and Evaluation course that I am doing now. I have linked it to our new project which is improving status of 250 girls through capacity building in digital literacy and child marriage advocacy. We are just developing our monitoring and evaluation plan and we are using templates and information that we have from PU to develop all the tools. Previously, we would only be concerned with indicators and targets and we would reflect this in our M&E framework. But this time we will have 7 tools including three on data (i.e collection, analysis, and management). One thing we have quickly learnt is that every member of project team should own data! And we are taking that route this time round. I will keep you informed. Any typo-errors and silly mistakes, please bear with me...I have not proof read the post..

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.