Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Tips for creating data collection tools, very helpful and useful information

• Well Understood

• As important as data collection tools are in collecting accurate data I think it is important for the creation of the tools to be iterative

• A very interesting and clear to understand topic. Creating data collection tools is very key in the success of Monitoring and Evaluation processes and contribute to the successfulness of our projects

• @Ugermaine said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

I have gained a lot in this course of data collection tools.

You are right. This also applies to me

• Learning about these data collection methods and designing a participant tracking form is something new to me but very vital to the success of my M&E project.

• That's right. I really gained a lot in this module 4. There is need to pay more attention to what was taught in this module in order to become better at designing tools for measuring indicators.

• To create a form, open up a word processor such as Microsoft Word.

Spaces for recording metadata should go at the top of the form, where they will be easy to see. Remember, this information includes the title of the form, the version of the form, the date the form was completed, where the form was recorded, and the name and title of the person who completed the form.

The rest of the data that will be recorded - the data that measures the indicator or indicators - should go into a table with several columns and rows. Most Participant Tracking Forms record one participant in each row of the table. Each column records a different type of data about that participant, such as name, age or location. MEH will need to record this data in their table:

• Having a tool for data collection that a project can use to gather data is crucial. Data analysis is made more effective and error-free with the aid of data collection tools.

• Creating a Participant Tracking Form is one of the important activities for project M&E staffs and officer to systematically record participants data and information. As discussed in the lecture, the six steps for creating a participant tracking form is very practical and helpful.

• Creating a Participant Tracking Form is one of the important activities for project M&E staffs and officer to systematically record participants data and information. As discussed in the lecture, the six steps for creating a participant tracking form is very practical and helpful.

• Data collection tools are very important in every Project. Each data collection tool has its advantages and disadvantages. It is important to use the appropriate tool so as to maximize getting accurate results.

• Creating data collection forms is a critical and wonderful exercise. In my case, I created an activity tracking form to track the number of activities completed.

• Creating data collection tools is an essential task for researchers and organizations to gather accurate and reliable data. It involves designing a questionnaire, survey, or other data collection instrument that captures the information needed to answer research questions or achieve organizational objectives. In this discussion, we will cover some key aspects of creating effective data collection tools.

Define the research question or objective: Before creating a data collection tool, it is important to clearly define the research question or objective. This will help in identifying the type of data that needs to be collected, the population to be studied, and the appropriate method of data collection.

Choose the appropriate data collection method: There are various methods of data collection, such as surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observation. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose the appropriate method that fits the research question or objective.

Develop clear and concise questions: The questions asked in a data collection tool should be clear, concise, and easily understood by the respondents. Avoid using technical jargon or ambiguous language that may lead to confusion.

Use a mix of question types: Using a mix of question types such as multiple-choice, open-ended, and Likert scale questions can help to capture a wide range of information and provide a more nuanced understanding of the topic.

Pilot test the data collection tool: It is important to pilot test the data collection tool to identify any errors, ambiguities, or other issues that may arise during data collection. This will help to refine the tool and ensure that it is effective in collecting the required data.

Ensure confidentiality and anonymity: Data collection tools should be designed to ensure respondent confidentiality and anonymity. This can be achieved by avoiding questions that may reveal the identity of the respondent, and by using codes or other identifiers to ensure that responses are kept confidential.

Consider ethical issues: It is important to consider ethical issues such as informed consent, privacy, and confidentiality when designing a data collection tool. Ensure that respondents are fully informed about the purpose of the study and that their rights are protected.

In conclusion, creating effective data collection tools requires careful consideration of the research question or objective, the appropriate data collection method, clear and concise questions, a mix of question types, pilot testing, confidentiality and anonymity, and ethical considerations. By following these guidelines, researchers and organizations can collect accurate and reliable data that can inform decision-making and improve outcomes.

• Step 1: Identify Goals and Performers.
    Step 2: Create Investigative Questions.
    Step 3: Develop a Data Collection Plan.
    Step 4: Create Data Collection Instruments.
    Step 5: Collect Data.
    Step 6: Analyze Data and Identify Gaps.
    Step 7: Summarize Findings & Prioritize Actions.
    Magpi.
    Jotform.
    FastField.
    Zonka Feedback.
    Forms on Fire.
    GoSpotCheck.
    Zoho.
    Paperform.

• for creating data collection tool we should always focus on how we create most versatile tool like enhancing : a Participant Tracking Form for recording observation data.

• i got also lot information for data collection tool of MeH

• In development data collection tools, it is important to master the key indicators to collect and report on.

• Yo pienso que, con los procedimientos a la hora de elegir el método de recolección de datos para nuestro proyecto nos permite saber de ante mano cómo elaborar nuestra herramientas pasando todos los procedimientos antes de lanzarlo oficialmente para la colecta de información para la medición de nuestros indicadores

• I will like to add that the Data Collection Methods learnt will be helpful during collection of baseline data and also when carrying out formative research.

• I will like to add that the Data Collection Methods learnt will be helpful during collection of baseline data and also when carrying out formative research.

• I agree with you. Having learnt how clear understanding of the indicator is germane to development of Data collection tools, I also can do better going forward.

• Real environment with similar population I will like to add

• Creating your tools is very important in M&E especially when you want to go into project implementation. The idea about the tool is to collect data in simple form form what the m&e office have designed in the log frame. About creating the tool and its significance, the deep knowledge on the indictors is very important before other significant element follows namely;
    1.Know which information you want to collect

1. Decide on how you want to collect your indicators
    2. create the Form.
    3. Test the Form
      6 Revise the Form
      These six elements will simplify the work to be done during implementation and will help to identify which information is missing out when field officers are on the field.
  • This module is highly specific in job responsibility and essential information needed for the progress of the project are being generated by the data collection tool.

• Data collection tools are at the heart of M&E activities

• Yo pienso que, con los procedimientos a la hora de elegir el método de recolección de datos para nuestro proyecto nos permite saber de ante mano cómo elaborar nuestras herramientas de colecta de información pasando por todos los procedimientos antes de lanzarlo oficialmente para la colecta de información para la medición de nuestros indicadores

• pretesting every tool before it is used is a very important step in creating data collection tool, as in my experience i have found feedback from then end user to be very useful in making the tools more comprehensive and easy to use.

• Creating data collection tools is a critical part of any project. The success of any data collection project depends largely on the quality and reliability of the data collection tool

• To create data collection. Consider the following questions:
    What? Who? How Often? By who? can we do it?

• It is very important to select our data collections methods and tools to measure our success through indicators. without a proper data collection tool we do not gather information meanwhile we loose our money and time.

• Data collection tools are used to collect data from various sources, such as surveys, interviews, observations, and experiments. When creating a data collection tool, it is important to consider the type of data being collected and the intended purpose of the tool. For example, if you are creating a survey, you need to consider the type of questions you will ask, the format of the survey, and how the data will be collected and analyzed. Additionally, you need to consider the target audience, their preferences, and any ethical considerations.

When creating a data collection tool, it is important to make sure that the questions are clear and easy to understand, and that the data collected is relevant to the purpose of the tool. It is also important to consider the methods of data collection, such as online surveys, phone interviews, or focus groups. Other factors to consider include the type of response format, the length of the survey, and the data analysis tools that will be used to analyze the data. Finally, it is important to consider any ethical considerations when creating a data collection tool, such as informed consent and data privacy.

• Creating data collection tools is important in measuring indicators in the project plan. Surveys, focus groups, observation, document review, laboratory measurements and community workshops are some of the methods used in collecting data. Depending on the data method selected, data collection tools should be designed which are used by field officers to collect data.

• why can't not use the digital tool like Csentry of cspro ?

• Data collection tools are important in a project, because they provide information that assists in making decisions based on the project. Choosing a data collection tool depends on many factors such as:
    a) What is being collected? is it qualitative or quantitative data
    b) The resources that are to be used
    c) Who is collecting the data ; for instance the focus group discussion requires a good facilitator

• Choosing an appropriate data collection tool for a certain project is crucial. This determines whether the data that need to be collected will be captured, the skills that the project implementers should possess in order to effectively and efficiently gather the data in a specified time.

•  Le sous-système public est organisé de façon pyramidale et comporte trois niveaux : central, intermédiaire et périphérique.
    o Le niveau central joue un rôle normatif et stratégique. Il comprend le Cabinet du Ministre, le Secrétariat Général, 4directions nationales et des programmes (PEV/SSP, Tuberculose, VIH/SIDA/IST, Paludisme, Onchocercose etc.). En matière de prestation de services, ce niveau compte trois hôpitaux nationaux.
    o Le niveau intermédiaire, joue le rôle d’appui technique et logistique aux directions préfectorales de la santé. Il comporte 8 directions régionales, y compris la direction de Santé de la ville de Conakry (DSVCo).A ce niveau, les soins de santé sont offerts par 7 hôpitaux régionaux.
    o Le niveau périphérique est le niveau opérationnel. Il comporte 38 districts sanitaires. A ce niveau, les soins de santé sont dispensés par 34hôpitaux (HP, CMC et CSA), 406 centres de santé et 925 postes de santé

• It was a great leaning.

• It was a great leaning.

• Of all the elements in M&E, the creation of tools to collect data can be both straightforward and daunting. It's important to keep in mind as you design your tools to make it simple but it needs to collect as much data. I would encourage anyone to design tools that go beyond three pages. If so, it may be reasonable to say you may need to determine if you need to design two tools.

• Of all the elements in M&E, the creation of tools to collect data can be both straightforward and daunting. It's important to keep in mind as you design your tools to make it simple but it needs to collect as much data. I would encourage anyone to design tools that go beyond three pages. If so, it may be reasonable to say you may need to determine if you need to design two tools.

• pretesting every tool before it is used is a very important step in creating data collection tool, as in my experience i have found feedback from then end user to be very useful in making the tools more comprehensive and easy to use.

•  Le sous-système public est organisé de façon pyramidale et comporte trois niveaux : central, intermédiaire et périphérique.
    o Le niveau central joue un rôle normatif et stratégique. Il comprend le Cabinet du Ministre, le Secrétariat Général, 4directions nationales et des programmes (PEV/SSP, Tuberculose, VIH/SIDA/IST, Paludisme, Onchocercose etc.). En matière de prestation de services, ce niveau compte trois hôpitaux nationaux.
    o Le niveau intermédiaire, joue le rôle d’appui technique et logistique aux directions préfectorales de la santé. Il comporte 8 directions régionales, y compris la direction de Santé de la ville de Conakry (DSVCo).A ce niveau, les soins de santé sont offerts par 7 hôpitaux régionaux.
    o Le niveau périphérique est le niveau opérationnel. Il comporte 38 districts sanitaires. A ce niveau, les soins de santé sont dispensés par 34hôpitaux (HP, CMC et CSA), 406 centres de santé et 925 postes de santé

• This part is very useful and interresting.

• The pilot test of Data collection tool is critical because it reduces errors and provide an opportunity to fine-tune the tool with appropriate and necessary information that might have been left out while creating the tool.

• A question is not showing up.

• A question is not showing up.

• Creating data collection tools is a lengthy, but essential process.

• there is no topic, to this assignment. However, creating data collecting tools is paramount and has to be done by qualified personnel. The tool must be easy to use, holistic and concise. Upon data collection, monitoring tools also must be developed to be filled in and shared with the sponsor. This is to assess process indicators on inputs and outputs

• In addition to collecting essential data related to your indicators, you need to collect some metadata. Metadata is the information that explains how your data was collected. Data collection tools should have a space to record the following types of metadata:
    • The title of the tool
    • The version of the tool
    • Who used the tool
    • Where they used the tool
    • When they used the tool

• I thought this module provided some interesting detail on how to gather data for M&E. I enjoyed the emphasis on getting input from participants, because the work I have done has been similar in scope. However (and maybe this will come up later on, so apologies if it does), traditionally I have found that we get a low response rate on surveys; we have been at times lucky to get a 30% response rate. I wonder how this affects M&E. I guess the answer would be to try other types of data collection, but this is not always possible.

• Peer session Diary is a tool that collects data about a facilitaor,collects questions asked and not answered. Materials distributed during the project,Peer educators are widely accepted and can get information that a staff cannot get.

Partcipants tracking form- a tool that collects data of the people who participated in the project.
    It records who why and in what way he participated

• Which tools are more effective for data collection? online or traditional tools?

• Creating data collection tools is important in any project to enable proper M&E. Before creating the tools its important to identify clear and measure able indicators because that is what guide the choice of data collection tools.
    Things to consider when creating tools, type of data needed, project participants, cost, duration, who is collecting data etc.

• Defining data disaggregation is quite important for an indicator. I think it is important that when coming up with disaggregations, we think of what could be sources of variation in our indicator. If we are looking at number of girls, how do these girls differ. List as many possible variations as you can. Do not forget to limit the variables to only those that can cause changes in the outcome/output/input you are trying to measure. This will also be useful when designing data collection tool. We should only collect what we deem as important. Otherwise, time and resources are very limited

• It's highly important to choose the appropriate data collection tools in order to ensure the efficiency of your M&E plan.

• Creating a data collection tool requires careful planning and consideration to ensure that it is effective in collecting the required data. By following the above guidelines, researchers and evaluators can design data collection tools that are tailored to their specific research or evaluation questions and produce reliable data.

• Creating a data collection tool requires careful planning and consideration to ensure that it is effective in collecting the required data. By following the above guidelines, researchers and evaluators can design data collection tools that are tailored to their specific research or evaluation questions and produce reliable data.

Welcome to any discussion.

• a cheaper and easy to use tool is ideal but be careful to not collect unnecessary data

• quite a hectic process but worth it.

• quite a hectic process but worth it.

• The data collection tool should have necessary information and be able to focus on priority data and should put into consideration the following: what data to be collected, who will use the tool, does the data have the same source and frequency.
    Also the tool should have metadata details for tracking the information source easily.

• Name of participant age sex bussiness type

• Survey
    laboratory
    focus group
    interveiw
    documentation

• The tips are detailed. However the digital application should be included in the course.

• Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) is a vital aspect of project management that helps to assess the effectiveness, efficiency, and impact of a program. Data collection is an essential component of M&E, as it helps to generate the necessary information for decision-making and planning. Therefore, creating data collection tools is a critical part of M&E.

Here are some key considerations when creating data collection tools in M&E:

Identify the data needs: The first step in creating data collection tools is to identify the data needs of the project. This involves determining the types of data required, the frequency of data collection, and the data sources.

Select appropriate data collection methods: Once the data needs are identified, the next step is to select the appropriate data collection methods. This could include surveys, interviews, focus groups, observation, or document reviews.

Develop the data collection tools: Based on the selected data collection methods, develop the data collection tools. This could involve creating survey questionnaires, interview guides, observation checklists, or document review templates.

Pilot test the tools: Before using the data collection tools in the field, it is important to pilot test them to ensure that they are effective and reliable. This involves testing the tools with a small sample of the target population and making any necessary revisions.

Train data collectors: To ensure that the data is collected accurately and consistently, it is important to train the data collectors on the data collection tools and methods. This could involve providing training on how to administer surveys, conduct interviews, or collect observational data.

Monitor data collection: During data collection, it is important to monitor the process to ensure that the data is being collected accurately and consistently. This could involve conducting spot checks, providing feedback to data collectors, or making adjustments to the data collection tools.

In conclusion, creating data collection tools is an essential part of M&E. By following the above considerations, M&E practitioners can ensure that the data collected is accurate, reliable, and relevant for decision-making and planning.

• Data collection tools come in different forms as paper based forms, web-based platforms, and mobile apps, depending on the target audience and the nature of the data.

• Creating data collection tools also involves deciding what type of means you want to deploy i.e. the use of papers or devices

• Creating data collection tools also involves deciding what type of means you want to deploy i.e the use of papers or devices

• My team and I have been using participant tracking form for our projects, but we always stopped at the fourth step. So far we haven't done any testing to our form and revision to it. Knowing that we are able and should actually do that is actually helpful.

• This tool is useful because it's a versatile type of tool that collects data on the people who participate in a project.

• Data collection tools is an indispensable assets for organizations seeking to leverage data for informed decision-making and improved performance. By capturing diverse data, ensuring data quality, and streamlining the collection process, these tools empower organizations to unlock valuable insights and drive success in today's data-centric landscape. Embracing data collection tools not only enables organizations to remain competitive but also paves the way for innovation, growth, and long-term sustainability.

• most represented means of performing data analysis. Specializing in business analytics, these solutions will prove to be beneficial for every data analyst that needs to analyze, monitor, and report on important findings. Features such as self-service, predictive analytics, and advanced SQL modes make these solutions easily adjustable to every level of knowledge, without the need for heavy IT involvement. By providing a set of useful features, analysts can understand trends and make tactical decisions. Our data analytics tools article wouldn’t be complete without business intelligence, and dateline is one example that covers most of the requirements both for beginner and advanced users. This all-in-one tool aims to facilitate the entire analysis process from data integration and discovery to reporting.

• The choice of a data collection tool is such a vital component of a M&E.

• The choice of a data collection tool is such a vital component of a M&E

• Creating a tool requires clarity and must consider the outcomes that are being measured

• Creating a tool requires clarity and must consider the outcomes that are being measured

• Data collection is paramount to measure if the right data was collected, the maps are helpful to visualize data needs

• It is important to identify the right data collection method and the right tool

• This is an opportunity to strengthen data collection skills to add credibility to any project

• data collection and processes cannot be ignored

• I am very interested in creating a data tool that retrieves information from a focus group. In my project it will be a focus group of hotline intake workers.

• It should be minimalistic and only contain relevant details/queries that pertains to what information we are collecting.

• How to treat information source in logframe when they came from different source but you organize them by group

• Thanks for the knowledge

• To avoid baise we shall follow these steps. In fact, I have been practicing some 70 percent of these information but now I feel I am mastering them.

• Each and every data collection tool has its own advantages and disadvantages. Some may provide accurate results but on merit of being costly and expensive while some maybe cheap but require trained and learned individuals to carry out the collections.

• Data collections tools is key to the success of measuring our indicator adequately, if this tool does not correctly reflect the information we need gather in our project, we will be going out expected change oriented conclusions.

• This is one of the most important part of any project, it determine whether you project goals will be achieve

• Something that has always been appalling to me is how we are able to bring "learning" into the development of tools. for the most part, best practices and lessons learned are always mainstreamed into various project activities and cannot be distinctively monitored in terms of numbers and such. Nowhere in the project implementation where we say, let us dedicate this period to look at what we are learning or best practice.

• Créer des outils de collecte de données

ODK

• Metadata are important information as they provide evidence that can be traced as evidence in any time needed.

• Data collection tool are very important in monitoring and evaluation task. Now we can create the online tool for data collection. It is very cheaper methodology

• Metadata are important information as they provide evidence that can be traced as evidence in any time needed.

• Data collection tool are very important in monitoring and evaluation task. Now we can create the online tool for data collection. It is very cheaper methodology. Data collection and Data analysis can help decision makers to take a decision. Management of data is very necessary to facilitate the data analysis task

• Collecting data is essential in monitoring and evaluation. Proper understanding of indicators helps determine the best tool.

• I think creating data collection is one of the major aspects of M&E. You may do an excellent job implementing the program but if the data collection tools you have created are not strong then you may not be able to capture the true reflection of the success of the program.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.