Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Unrealistic targets are those targets that cannot be achieved. Unrealistic targets can be a result of insufficient project budget, lack of enough information when coming up with targets and setting targets emotionally rather than using evidence. Unrealistic targets may lead to underachievement which will lead to donor, team and beneficiary frustration.

• Unrealistic targets can drain and frustrate a project in the long run. I remember a project I worked on with some of my friends and how in the course of time we realized we were just going to shoot ourselves in the leg. We had to hold a meeting and readjusted out target allowing for more time to plan, collaborate and implement.

• I'm thankful for this course. So far, I have learnt about various data collection tools, which is appropriate when trying to measure an indicator, etc.
    I believe this is an important aspect of M&E because I know as a communicator that no information is complete without feedback and that's what data collection tools helps us to achieve.

• Unrealistic target are target that are not achievable by the project teams,due to shortage of time, project funds or occurrence of risk/assumptions that will hinder the set target

• How can I set realistic targets

M
    1 Reply
  • Donors may give us unrealistic targets because of the funds they are giving in for the project without putting into consideration of the baseline or previous projects that have been there, or maybe using very old documentations of the surveys conducted in the area of implementation. This may reflect differently with the current situation on the ground forcing the project to adjust the targets because of under/over achievements of the given targets. It can be realistic if the donors together with the implementing partners to do the survey together and then set the targets for the project

• Donors may give us unrealistic targets because of the funds they are giving in for the project without putting into consideration of the baseline or previous projects that have been there, or maybe using very old documentations of the surveys conducted in the area of implementation. This may reflect differently with the current situation on the ground forcing the project to adjust the targets because of under/over achievements of the given targets. It can be realistic if the donors together with the implementing partners to do the survey together and then set the targets for the project

• Creating data collection tools needs a proper understanding of the project indicators and what data you need to measure progress of those indicators. Knowing the capacity of the data collectors is a must in developing data collection tools, this will help knowing how complex the data collection tool should be and what language to use.
    All data collection tools needs to have instruction of how the tools needs to be filled.

• I think we can set our targets based on the SMART mechanism in order to prevent them from being unrealistic.

• An unrealistic goal is any ambition that isn't attainable, practical, or doable. When you set unrealistic goals, you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. To recognize unrealistic goals, check that each step of your plan is achievable. To stop setting unrealistic goals, make your goals simpler.

• If target were unrealistic, everyone involved will end up disappointed: yourself, your team, and your donors.

• Un realistic targets are goals or targets that you set and you fail to attain them or accomplish them practically. when you set unrealistic targets you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. to recognize unrealistic targets check that each step of your plan. and try to make your targets simple but also realistic.

• targets should be realistic also to motivate team members to achieve them and achieving them on time. and aslo setting realistic targets shows loyalty to your sponsors.

• Number of people shuold be trained

• Unrealistic targets means you don’t know what you are trying to do. You have no plan, no knowledge or desire. If you know what you are trying to do, you can even discover something greater than black holes. Any target will be unrealistic if you just “want” it and keep watching Netflix whole day.

• Unrealistic targets means you don’t know what you are trying to do. You have no plan, no knowledge or desire. If you know what you are trying to do, you can even discover something greater than black holes. Any target will be unrealistic if you just “want” it and keep watching Netflix whole day.

• Creating Data Collection Tools

you will create and test data collection instruments and plan for their use.

Tools to Help

Documentation Worksheet
    Focus Group Worksheet
    Interview Worksheet
    Questionnaire Development Worksheet

• setting targets that cannot be reached by the projects implementation . being over ambitious on what is to be achieved by th eproject

• Unrealistic targets are a challenging part of a M&E. There are a number of factors that lead to setting unrealistic targets: lack of careful planning, inaccurate estimation of costs, resources and time required; ineffective communication between all the participants involved in the project.

• Unrealistic targets are target that are humanly impossible to achieve when place into the real life scenarios with context in mind.

• Target setting should be realistic. When you set a realistic target, the team will be committed to achieving it. If you don't achieve a target because you were unrealistic, everyone involved will be disappointed: yourself, your team, and your donors. So when we set a target, we should make sure that our target is realistic so that we get the recognition of our donors and all the stakeholders involved in the project process. Also, a realistic goal is a proof of how the resources are used and how the output and the goal will be achieved in the end.

• Setting a goal that is too high for your resources

• Unrealistic: not realistic, impractical, unworkable, etc
    An unrealistic goal is any ambition that isn’t attainable, practical, or doable. When you set unrealistic goals, you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. To recognize unrealistic goals, check that each step of your plan is achievable. To stop setting unrealistic goals, make your goals simpler.

They can be ambitions or dreams that focus too much on what’s wanted or hoped for rather than what’s actually possible.

In other words, you set unrealistic target when you focus on what you want rather than what you can actually do or have. That manifests as setting goals that are too high, too difficult for your current life circumstances, or that don’t account for your weaknesses and potential pitfalls.
    This may also result in boredom, quitting and disappointed on not achieving your goals.
    They can be caused by shortage of money, data / information, resources, time and people to complete the project.
    For example trying to loose 20kgs in 1week
    Vaccinating 1000 children in a day at a certain clinic

• To make our targets ambitious yet realistic we looked at our previous
    implementation and what we've been able to achieve and set new targets. Again we
    looked at the kind of resources that we have available for us. Was it realizable
    for us to realize new targets? Then, if so, we set new targets. We also picked two
    scenarios where we asked ourselves: if all of the risks happened, what will be the
    new target? If they didn't happen, what would be the new target? Then we
    set the midline to be our new target. Lastly, we set our project to have
    incentives for staff to realize these new targets. Does it mean that
    when you set a target you can't go back and adjust your target? No. For our
    case we had to go back and adjust our target because that was the most
    realistic thing to do. For example, we said that we will begin our projects on
    month two and it was almost impossible. We began a project at month seven so we
    had to adjust our targets based that we started a bit late.

• Dans ce module nous avons vu comment choisir les indicateurs pour notre projet tout en tenant compte des critères d'un bon indicateur. ils sont au nombre de 7 à savoir: l'objectivité, le direct, la pratique, l'adéquation, l'utilité pour la gestion, l'attribuabilité et la désagrégation. Nous avons également vu comment appliquer les méthodes appropriées pour fixer des objectifs pour notre projet.

• Setting target should not be a vague one.

• Setting a realistic target is not an easy thing to do. You have to seek a lot of information.

• I believe that , An unrealistic goal is any ambition that isn’t attainable, practical, or doable. When you set unrealistic goals, you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. To recognize unrealistic goals, check that each step of your plan is achievable and this will definitely help .

• some factors contributing to setting unrealistic targets are -Lack of planning and inaccurate estimates

• Unrealistic targets is setting a target that is likely going to be unrealisable either because we are too pessimistic or too ambitious.

For our target to bee a realistic one we have to set a baseline which can be gotten from the following:

1. Existing data
    2. Collection of baseline data
    3. Project starting at zero baseline.
      We may also look at the historical trend.
      Example of an unrealistic target will be for example that in a project that have baseline data such as Vitamin A supplementation with 20% and we now set target that by the end of 2 months after commencement of the implementation 100% of the children would have received Vitamin a supplement.
  • Unrealistic targets means setting up target that is not realisable. One must not be too optimistic or pessimistic. Before target setting, there are some things we need to look at which may help us such as:

1. Reviewing an existing data from reliable source
    2. Data collection if no were in existence for the project.
    3. Starting at zero baseline if thee project is providing a new type of service.
    4. Historical trends may also assist us in setting the target.
      For example setting target that all the graduate students from an institution will be employ within one year of graduation because of the training they received from that institution.
  • Yes, I agree with you even because the funder too have limited budget

• Usually politicians settle unrealistic targets, but common people (in a way) believe them and in their promises. Since I was a child I remember how promises were arisen and I would say all of them were not accomplished. And so, unrealistic targets characterize of being very attractive for everybody, but they hide their real side. Let's be aware of that.

• Usually politicians settle unrealistic targets, but common people (in a way) believe them and in their promises. Since I was a child I remember how promises were arisen and I would say all of them were not accomplished. And so, unrealistic targets characterize of being very attractive for everybody, but they hide their real side. Let's be aware of that.

• Dans ce module nous avons vu comment choisir les indicateurs pour notre projet tout en tenant compte des critères d'un bon indicateur. ils sont au nombre de 7 à savoir: l'objectivité, le direct, la pratique, l'adéquation, l'utilité pour la gestion, l'attribuabilité et la désagrégation. Nous avons également vu comment appliquer les méthodes appropriées pour fixer des objectifs pour notre projet.

• Setting higher targets is good thing for the organization as it motivates employees to showcase their capabilities to achieve more. In ideal world employees will feel if their leader gives them more targets he or she trust their ability and confidence to do that job. However a problem rises when leader seta unrealistic target for employees to achieve. This idea may discourage the willing employees to try as they felt tht they’re punished by their boss. Also not achieving the unrealistic goals will reduce work productivity as trust will be lost between leaders and employees

• Setting higher targets is good thing for the organization as it motivates employees to showcase their capabilities to achieve more. In ideal world employees will feel if their leader gives them more targets he or she trust their ability and confidence to do that job. However a problem rises when leader seta unrealistic target for employees to achieve. This idea may discourage the willing employees to try as they felt tht they’re punished by their boss. Also not achieving the unrealistic goals will reduce work productivity as trust will be lost between leaders and employees

• Les cibles ou objectifs irréalistes sont les cibles choisies sans tenir compte des données mais, basées sur les sentiments.

• Unrealistic Targets

They are set without assessing the success or failure of the implementation of previous targets.

They are set without taking into consideration the impact of risks and assumptions.

They are set without factoring in the incentives for the staff or human resources that will help in achieving the set targets.

They are set with little or no room for possible readjustment where necessary especially when it comes to timeline.

• Unrealistic, basically I look at it as not recognizing the truth about the project and do not know the difficulties associated to what they want to archive.
    in other to address the issue of unrealistic target one must not be afraid or panic, be able adjust to what method you are using and increase your working speed

• if the project that is being implemented is new and one have to consider the risk involved,
    one key thing that should be look at is the baseline, need assessment, project implementer should do a base analysis survey as to know what are the actual problems, and further prop at what time those problems can occurred.

• Pourrai-je avoir des éclaircissements sur les cibles irréalistes ?

• Unrealistic target might motivate everybody at the beginning, however leads to demotivation and loss of trust in the end.

• Unrealistic targets are targets which are ambitious and unattinable with the given time and resources.

• Our goal should not be broad and unattainable. it should be simple and doable. Unrealistic targets are targets which are unclear and ambitious which can not be set with available resources.

• unrealistic targets will end up in no results

• Unrealistic target may be above the planned budget or below.

• Great improvement for my experience and intelligence

• Unrealistic targets are targets that are extremely exaggerated and impossible to reach. Unrealistic target can cause training to project implemetation thus reducing the level of motivation

• It is important to set realistic targets, even if that means re-adjusting your initial target to reflect any changes in project budget or resources. I think it's important to be flexible as circumstances change.

• See previous video and "targets" reading section

• Unrealistic targets often make the team have negative feelings. This will lead to low motivation and disgruntlement and make team members not want to participate in the project.

• To make our targets ambitious yet realistic we looked at our previous
    implementation and what we've been able to achieve and set new targets. Again we
    looked at the kind of resources that we have available for us. Was it realizable
    for us to realize new targets? Then, if so, we set new targets. We also picked two
    scenarios where we asked ourselves: if all of the risks happened, what will be the
    new target? If they didn't happen, what would be the new target? Then we
    set the midline to be our new target. Lastly, we set our project to have
    incentives for staff to realize these new targets. Does it mean that
    when you set a target you can't go back and adjust your target? No. For our
    case we had to go back and adjust our target because that was the most
    realistic thing to do. For example, we said that we will begin our projects on
    month two and it was almost impossible. We began a project at month seven so we
    had to adjust our targets based that we started a bit late.

• its better to have realistic targets and have a chance to meet them then unrealistic which can be caused being emthusiatic

• setting targets from my understanding shoud be SMART: SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE, ATTAINABLE, REALISTIC AND TIME BOUND

• unable to gain the target. objective and goal will be not achieve,

• Unrealistic targets as the name implies are targets that cannot be reached on the dates that they were planned for. They end up making the team and the donors disappointed.

• Unrealistic targets result from many reasons depending on the type of project and how the goal is to be achieved.

• Basically unrealistic target can result from setting a very high target without having collected enough research to support the project or making considerations or adjustments to the project plan

• Unrealistic Project usually leads to project failure and huge loss and disappointment especially to the project team who have sacrificed effort and time to the project

• Unrealistic project can be avoided by making comprehensive research to collect data to support project plan and making adjustments to the targets set when necessary

• Setting targets might prove tricky as they should strike a balance between ambition and logic. Setting them too high could prove unrealistic however, having them too low would also lead to reluctance by donors in providing project funding.

• In addition, always ensure to conduct research on baselines so as to have a guide on set targets. Also check for historical trends and employ extra sources such as other projects and expert opinions. Always consider your project budget before setting ambitious targets.

• What's the line between setting unrealistic targets and being very ambitious?

• I think I have a better understanding of this now.. 1+1 will never be 100

• Unrealistic targets have been set without considering trends, stakeholder and other factors which may affect target

• Unrealistic targets are target that cant be realized either the budget set was too low, when it's too low it can create doubt and make donors reluctant, targets should be ambitious and realistic, so unrealistic target are target that cant be realized.

• Unrealistic targets:

• a person or an organization set unrealistic target when it does not have enough data or data scarcity or feeling too much optimistic while setting targets.

• There shall be no unrealistic target because when it will not be met, it will demotivate the staff members as well as the donors.

• Targets shall be set with a mindset like an M&E expert i.e. Proper data and available resources.

• Unrealistic targets can be draining and for many organizations, they set these targets because they want to receive funds from the donor. It is important to set ambitious and realistic target using data from baseline study. What do you all think about this?

• It might be difficult to balance between ambitious and realistic targets. I believe I tend to be a little too pessimistic when setting targets, because I am afraid of not achieving them. However, taking risks are part of being ambitious. In the long run, having too realistic targets can lead to as many damages as having too ambitious targets.

• How does data play a part in setting targets

• For unrealistic target need to adjust and rewrite your target

• Unrealistic targets affect the performance measurement of the project. The target should be realistic as per the capacity of the organization and as per the circumstances and context of the project.

• When is a target unrealistic?

• Unrealistic targets
    Targets are said to be unrealistic when they are set without consideration of all the things that could go wrong with the project implementation. For example, availability of funds, time of commencement and the expected end date, A target may also be unrealistic if you have not researched what other projects have achieved in similar projects or the trends observed over time regarding the performance of similar projects. This will result in setting too ambitious targets that might not be realized.

1 Reply
  • An unrealistic targets is any ambition that isn’t attainable, practical, or doable. When you set unrealistic goals, you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. To recognize unrealistic goals, check that each step of your plan is achievable. To stop setting unrealistic goals, make your goals simpler. Unrealistic targets can best be described as the goals you've set, yet they are almost impossible to achieve. While setting goals is important, you should set goals that are ambitious, yet attainable. Unrealistic goals can affect your employees both in the short term and in the long term.

• Unrealistic targets could be adapted during project lifecycle to make them achievable. However, my question is that the donors allocate budget and resources for the projects for the initial ambitious targets to be achieved. So, while targets are being downgraded during implementation of the projects , then there may be a need for punishment like budget cuts if there are no abnormal conditions in place.

• Why must I respond first in order to view the discussion in this module?

For some projects, I am always asked to set unrealistic targets for funding proposals. It was requested by my supervisor because she knows that most funders do not have knowledge about project design, especially outcome indicators. In fact, most funders are only concerned with the overall objectives and unit costs. They will not challenge our activities or the link between outputs and outcomes. My supervisor always uses this strategy to get the funding, but the negative impact is that our projects cannot be operated with good M&E planning.

• Unrealistic targets may expose inadequate proper planning during development of M&E plan

• Unrealistic targets certainly consumes energy of team members hence project implementation may suffer delay and worse of it, leads to inability achieving project goals.

• That's certainly true.

I also believe the success of projects heavily relies on funding among many others. Setting unrealistic targets in cases of low funding will be catastrophic and will ultimately lead to unachieved project goals

• Targets should be ambitious but realistic. As unrealistic targets may disappoint you as the M&E expert, your team and stakeholders.

• Unrealistic targets could be a nightmare for implanters as well as donors. This could create a sort of unrest among the staff and management which could lead to inefficiency and may not achieve what we could have achieved in a normal situation.

• Unrealistic targets are set when one uses feelings instead of data. The targets will be blurred with assumptions.
    The success of previous implementations and the resources available for the new project should be looked into to avoid unrealistic targets.

• Unrealistic targets are set when one uses feelings instead of data. The targets will be blurred with assumptions.
    The success of previous implementations and the resources available for the new project should be looked into to avoid unrealistic targets.

• What are unrealistic Targets?

• What are unrealistic Targets?

• Unrealistic targets are targets that can not be met due to luck of funds, luck of expertise, time that is not enough time.

• Unrealistic targets are targets that can not be met due to luck of funds, luck of expertise and inadequate time. When targets are too ambiguous they become unrealistic.

• Unrealistic targets triggers fraudulent activities, data manipulation which includes falsifying data and mismanagement of project funds. Targets should be set realistically to ensure the project stays functional and centered.

• To me setting realistic targets is an art and a science. There is no single or perfect way to do it but much depends on a number of things; team knowledge and experience and available information. If you plan to set evidence-based targets you´ll require of rigorous benchmarks that help you to document progress towards advancing change and achieving results. Truth is that setting meaningful and realistic targets also require of a reality check exercise which is about looking at resources – time, energy and access to track them.
    Another challenge we face while defining targets is about understanding that progress is not always linear or a consistent or gradual straight-line. We face a bunch of issues that will affect our program or project implementation. For that reason, we´re investing more time in spotting risks and unforeseen events at the outset or start-up period. That´s a healthy exercise that comes with the definition of meaningful targets and that helps us to set a steady path that might come with a pyramidal or stairs form instead of a straight line.
    It takes sometime to make teams aware of the benefits of unpacking targets but as a matter of fact is an exercise will help us set realistic outcomes and impact and tackle potential risk will hamper our plans.

• They disrupt the project implementation and the morale of staff becomes low.

• unrealistic target

• An unrealistic targets put every one - team members, donors, beneficiaries and partners abbey as they would not understand whether the project will be successful or not. Targets have two major component: Specification of level one plan to reach and Date that one plan on reaching it. so setting an unrealistic target is when one uses feelings not data to set target i.e in such a situation one allows biases or assumption influence ones decision when setting targets., and this will result to disappointment to all: team members, donors, beneficiaries, and partners.

• I think it is the hardest part because you often have to lower your expectation ad when you have to be the more realistic while changing the reality

• If the target are regularly set too high staff or team will constantly fail to meet them
    Trying to learn a new language in a couple months is an unrealistic target
    Increasing customer acquisition by 100 percent in a month is a nother example of an realistic target

• One of the challenging aspects of project management is setting and then managing expectations of both clients and stakeholders. As a rule, everyone comes into a project with some kind of expectations. However, a number of factors often lead to the situation when one side is left expecting more than the other side can offer. Let’s take a look where unrealistic expectations come from and what can be done to overcome this issue.
    Reasons for Setting Unrealistic Expectations. Discrepancy between project participants’ expectations is a rather common phenomenon, but what leads to such a situation? Here are some factors contributing to setting unrealistic expectations.

Lack of planning
    Having a precise plan with the clear requirements and expectations of all the project participants is a must. If they get down to business right away and skip detailed planning or consider it as a formality, they will probably face difficulties at the very beginning because of mismatching expectations.

Inaccurate estimation
    Estimation is a critical part in project planning, it involves a quantitative specification of project costs, required resources and time. Effective estimation is based on setting clear requirements with the team, clients and stakeholders. Underestimation of the resources required for project implementation leads to one side promising the outcomes that cannot be delivered. Overestimation of the required resources is also possible; in this case the clients may refuse to collaborate with the company and look for more favorable terms. The best alternative here is to determine a certain buffer for the allocated resources to ensure you won’t have any issues later.

One more thing that adds to inaccurate estimation of the project is uncertainty concerning the project scope, work amount, unexpected internal or external events. Lack of necessary information or clarity on these points at the stage of estimation will result in setting unrealistic expectations.

Poor communication
    Effective communication between all parties involved in the project is the key to its successful implementation. Poor communication, on the contrary, leads to a number of difficulties and misunderstandings. For example, when a project manager does not communicate to stakeholders on time, they are not aware of what has already been done and what requires more time. The same can be said about problems arising during the team’s working on the project. So, it’s not a good idea to leave stakeholders expecting that everything goes well when it actually doesn’t.

Members of the same team may be confused about what is expected of them – in this case, lack of proper communication can cause unnecessary delays. At the same time, it’s team members’ responsibility to keep their leaders updated.

Lack of effective and timely communication with clients may lead to their disorientation concerning the project outcomes and therefore setting unrealistic expectations.

Desire to please the client/stakeholder
    It sometimes happens that the fear of losing clients or stakeholders’ credit forces project managers to agree on some requirements without thorough consideration. In turn, this leads to underestimation of the available resources, so there is a discrepancy between one side’s expectations and what another side can actually deliver. In such a situation, it’s rather difficult to admit that something has gone wrong, and the problems begin to snowball. If these matters are not negotiated by all participants of the project, thorough estimation of the available resources isn’t done, and clear realistic expectations aren’t set, the project in all likelihood will fail.

Note that these reasons are closely interrelated and influence one another, so in the process of dealing with expectations, it’s important to take all of them into account.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.